Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    manofsteel2k6manofsteel2k6 Member Posts: 25
    I am also a little disappointed in Gas milage. I recently took a weekend trip to Wheeling WV. Two people with very minimal luggage. The best gas milage we got, according to the trip computer was 25 mpg. This was very dissapointing. However I must note that this is with the AC on the whole trip. I am sure that makes a difference. But none the less I am no where near 30 mpg.
  • Options
    Someone above said that the compartment below the climate control is an ash tray. Just to set the record straight it is not. It is a small, really out of place, and almost useless storage compartment. The ash tray is below that.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The EPA is who estimates mileage. Not the manufacturer. You would have a difficult time suing them. Also the mileage that is on the sticker is clearly stated to be an estimate. It clearly states that actual mileage will vary depending upon driving conditions, habits, road conditions, equipment etc...
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    It may surprise some folk that Hyundai, yes Hyundai, is indeed creating some loyalists through continuously improved products. The 2006 Sonata is competitive in a lot of ways for sure!

How true. I remember all the "you bought a Hyundai?!?" comments I received from co-workers when I got an Elantra more than 3.5 years ago. Frankly, it was a little embarrassing to admit that I drove a Hyundai. The stigma of poor reliability and shoddy workmanship was definitely dogging the company back in late 2001.

After I test drove the 2006 Sonata I was absolutely floored at how far Hyundai has come with regards to quality and vehicle dynamics. It really does put my Elantra to shame, and my Elantra is not a bad car!

I put faith in Hyundai several years ago, and they have rewarded that faith with persistent determination to build a better car. With the 2006 Sonata, they have succeeded in more ways than I can imagine.

I guess you could call me a Hyundai loyalist. ;)
  • Options
    Someone above said that the compartment below the climate control is an ash tray. Just to set the record straight it is not. It is a small, really out of place, and almost useless storage compartment. The ash tray is below that.

Did you know that in the Korean version of the Sonata the compartment below the climate control is replaced by a 6-disc CD changer when you get the navigation system? At least that is what it looks like on the Hyundai Korean website. :confuse:
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I bought an '05 GLS SV almost 3 months ago. Have a little over 2700 miles and getting ready to bring in for the first service. Everything is great so far.

A friend has an '04 Merc. Mountaineer which was back to the Merc/Hyundai dealer AGAIN due to a "clunky" tranny. I drove him down today to pick up his car and saw an '06 Sonata GL ( 4cyl/ stick shift & white). First time I saw the new model in person. But, personally, I like the styling of the '05 better. The '06 has more features and seems like a terrific car. The one I saw had MSRP of about $18,600 incl destination.

Both model years look good. I just prefer the look of the '05. Maybe it's like the look of the '57 vs '58 Chevy. Go ahead '06 guys, beat me up :)
  • Options
    Thats interesting. At least that explains the purpose for the compartment. As a storage compartment, its pretty useless. Perhaps once the Nav comes to the US, that compartment will be a cd changer here as well.
  • Options
    choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    Where? July which i believe is the latest one out has no review for the Sonata.

Those two people who have written comments about it, which CD are u talking about, because i like to read it.
  • Options
    fccfcc Member Posts: 11
    Those two people who have written comments about it, which CD are u talking about, because i like to read it.

It's the August edition. Just got my copy today and it's titled "Korea's neighbors to the east had better start paying attention" by the C&D editor in chief, Csaba Csere. I just love that piece!
  • Options
    boltmanboltman Member Posts: 85
    CRYSTAL...

Looks like I hit a salesperson's nerve?...Ouch! Anyhow I was just stating an effective way to get the best price on a new 2006 Sonata. To save him having to settle what I consider inferior cars for the money. Did I drive hundreds of miles to pick up my car? Answer NO. Did I reasearch the best offers out there within 200 miles... YOU BET! Luckily I live near a VERY competitive marketplace...LA!

Its just common sense to treat all three areas as complete and seperate issues and to get the best deal... after all it is the same car anywhere. I didn't take the lowest offer which was $500 below invoice so I could use a more local dealer to help my areas economy.

Point being.. by using the internet and e-mail to my full advantage in a relatively short time I was able to negotiate a fair and equitable price from the comfort of my own home... you know and I know that later on the deal I got will be commonplace after they kick in rebates! It takes two to make a deal, I didn't "force' anyone to do anything they weren't prepared to do! Use common sense... the dealer/salesman still either made a profit or got a spiff because of my purchase otherwise they would not have done it! BTW I paid their $500 bogus advertising fee so there is part of their profit right there. Plus they get great PR from me everywhere I go! How valuable is a satisfied customer... you should know better being in sales yourself. Don't sweat the ones who get the great deals I'm sure their are lots who pay MSRP or above to balance us out.

If I had not been able to secure a deal I would have waited for the rebates but there is no harm or foul for a consumer trying to get the best deal they can to help counter balance the depriciation as soon as you drive off the lot. The internet is here to stay get so used to it and use it to YOUR avantage.

Another example of the power of the internet... I was interested in the Prius. First few offers were "waiting list at least 6 months at MSRP". After a few rounds of e-mail guess what! Magically a loaded Prius showed up in my county at $1000 off MSPR! What a coinky-dinky! That car was still too much even with the $1000 discount (28K OTD). So yes sales people lie... come on from waiting list to here's a $1000 discount. Come on.
  • Options
    "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LOYALTY MONEY KNOW ONE IS GOING TO SELL IT FOR 400.00 UNDER INVOICE."

Crystal... THEY DID! Figure that one out.

I am a first time Hyudai owner... more fire power for next time. Have a nice evening.
  • Options
    1. How does the climate control work with the air quality sensor? I notice there is a button for it (an A with arrows in a circle). I thought on the LX this was an automatic feature (to turn on recirculation)... so what is that button for? The owner manual isn't clear.

2. Should there be "speed sensitive" automatic door locks? This is where the car locks itself as you drive at speed. My car doesn't seem to do it. The owner manual states "if installed"... since I got a loaded LX (top of the line) shouldn't it be included?

3. What exactly is the MPG reading on the trip computer? Is it an instant reading or an average over the period since reset?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Took 15.7 gallons of gas

Leading up to the fill up...

The gas light came on with the range at about 35 miles

When the range got under 30 only flashing dotted lines showed up (----)

I started to freak a bit thinking run out was immenent. I drove about another 5 minutes before I made it to my favorite station.

Like I said before the car took 15.7 gallons or 2 less gallons than it's rated tank capacity of 17.7 gallons.

The lesson... the trip computer is pretty accurate! There is probably an extra safety margin built in (one gallon?). When it starts flashing at below 30 miles you have a little over two gallons left as in my experience.

I'll let you know the real MPG after the next tankfull.

FYI..my salesman said the real break in "no no" is exceeding 4000 RPM NOT going over 55 MPH. When you think of it that makes sense. He said The Hyundai techs reinforced that when they were testing them out at the track.
  • Options
    It stinks this feature won't be available until later this year.From what i heard, with this suspension add on, conering at higher speeds will be possible, which thus will behave as similiar to a rear wheel drive car, maybe a notch lower, but higher ability than most front drive cars. Not too sure if any of you guys driven a rear wheel drive car, but the ability to coner at high speed at a 90 angle with ease, is a very satisfying one.

Though of course driving forward, it will still feel like a front drive car, i think this feature will make this car that much more pleasent to drive and own.

This feature i think could pry alot more customers away, and not sure what honda nor toyota can do to match it , since its patented.

Some planned late additions and rumors additions

Active geometry suspension
    Navigation System
    Front nose styling and side and back panels all metal strips(think previous Jetta, final revision)
    Two or three new colors(Red, silver orange)

Like i have stated i'm 90 percent sold to buy this car, and is waiting for the Active geometry suspension to be the kicker. 10 percent not to buy to see how good the revised accord and camry will be(has to be 2000 dollars worth better) and elantra too(interior almost same size as former sonata rumor korean site)
  • Options
    wincrasherwincrasher Member Posts: 12
    You mileage will vary because of several factors -

1. pumps are tested for accuracy at 6 gallons. Accuracy on amounts that aren't a multiple of 6 will vary.

2. some pumps are very inaccurate or out of spec.

3 the rated tank capacity does not include any volume in the fill tube. that tube can hold at least another gallon.

To get an accurate idea of the mileage you are gettting, fill at the same station, the same pump and stop at the first cutoff. Do this a couple of tank fulls. Thats about the best you are gonna do.
  • Options
    mrnelsonmrnelson Member Posts: 1
    I have owned quite a few "different" cars in my life.
    At least thats how I consider.

My wife and I love car shopping, and I think thats one god's gift to me,
    as I am a automotive enthuasist. I love switching cars.

I'll be honest, I am a "on-budget" car shopper. I can't just go buy
    and try out different mercedes and bmws, but I am financially stable
    enough to trade in relatively low-cost cars every few months.

So far, me and my wife had alot of Acura/Hondas(I like honda alot).
    -Includes 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe
    -2001 Honda Prelude Coupe
    -1998 Honda Accord LX Inline 4 Sedan
    -1995 Acura Integra GS Sedan
    -1995 Honda Odyssey

We also have owned 99 Toyota Camry, 03 toyota Camry, 97 Nissan pathfinder, 93 Eagle talon ESi, 90 Ford Taurus and few others that we don't even care to mention.

Me and my wife currently own the new accord sedan(I4, 7th generation I believe),
    and I currently own the new sonata(been 2 weeks now).

What first comes up into your mind when you think of a name "Hyundai"?
    Such words as "not fast", "cheap car", "breaks down", "ugly" etc comes up.
    It still does in my mind. Until a month ago, I was just like you.
    I didn't even consider hyundai as an option when I shop for a car.

However, when I saw the new sonata commercial at movie theater,
    I was very impressed with the design. I thought, hey, I should give it a look.
    Me and my wife, we fell in LOVE with the way it looks. Even before that,
    when we were about to arrive at the hyundai dealership, we saw a silver one
    passing by. Boy, that was one luxury, yet classy, but still modern body-lined
    sedan that I was craving for.

So we test drove one.
    Salesman give me the key, I get close to the car. I see the paintjob, and I
    feel it with my hand. Very nicely done. Impressive.
    Precise and generous feel when you open the door. Impressive.
    Comfortable seat, and relatively fit-free for 6"3 guy like me. Impressive.
    Beautifully done interior, controls, and layouts.
    something you don't expect from hyundai all the times. Impressive.
    Dead quiet start when you turn the ignition on. Impressive.
    I put it in reverse, time to drive it out of the dealership and test it.
    side views are good, rear view is clear. Nicely positioned elements. Impressive.
    I take a quick right, give it a slight gas while taking the turn to see how it handles.
    stock tires grips pretty well, and steering is tight. Car noses-in pretty steady w/o
    too much understeer unlike usual FWD boring family sedans. Body roll is minimal. Impressive.
    Road noise is quiet, suspension keeps the ride firm and steady. Impressive.

I get out of the car, me and my wife gave each other a look and we immediately
    began signing paper works.

2 weeks later now, I absoutely have ZERO complaints. One complaint though,
    my wife keep telling me to drive the accord sedan and let her drive the sonata.
    but thats happy-worry we have right now. I am so impressed with hyundai,
    and I don't know what to do. Me and my wife even said this could be one car
    we might actually drive it for awhile.

Those worrying about reliability and having lemon, that happens with ANY brand.
    Hondas are known for reliability, but they have there own issues. ALOT too.
    Any brand makes mistakes, and no one is perfect. No car is perfect.

Knowing hyundai is backing up my sonata for 10 years, I feel safe anyway.
    This sonata running/looking like a charm, hyundai will be a STRONG
    contender everytime I shop for a new car from now on. Two thumbs up for hyundai.
  • Options
    therealpotustherealpotus Member Posts: 42
    I've been corresponding with a gentleman from Hyundai in Los Angeles (Manager, Advanced Planning, Hyundai Motor America). He has been so helpful (in comparison with the folks at Honda, who in eight months, have completely destroyed twenty years of good will built up), that upon his helpfulness and attentiveness alone, I am strongly considering buying a 2006 Sonata. I cannot say enough for this guy's attitude. In all seriousness, I'm thinking of applying for a job with Hyundai!

Anyway, here's what he had to say with respect to the Active Geometry Control System. (I had inquired as to the black leather interior I had seen of a Korean Hyundai, AGCS, and 'solar glass'.) Here's his complete answer:

"If we do offer the black interior, it will be for the 2007 model year; it's not our usual practice to introduce major running changes like that in the middle of the model year. It's not that it can't happen, but it typically doesn't.

As far as the Active Geometry Control Suspension, yes, that is indeed offered on Korean-spec cars, but not here. Why? Quite frankly, we were so pleased with the standard suspension's handling that we could not see any perceived consumer benefit in offering AGCS. The standard suspension is excellent, offering great ride and handling characteristics - and AGCS would simply add cost without any real perceptible benefit. Have you test driven a new Sonata yet? I think you'll be really impressed by the car's responsive handling and in particular its very accurate steering. We definitely don't see a need for AGCS given the standard suspension's impressive performance.

You also asked what solar control glass is. That is basically a heat-reflecting glass that helps keep the interior cooler. Such glass has been very common in buildings in the Sunbelt, and it has recently starting making its way into mainstream cars and trucks. It's standard in all V6 models.

Hope I've answered your questions! If you haven't driven one already, I encourage you to do so. Have a great day!"

So, there you have it.
  • Options
    Two tire options on the Sonata: 16 in and 17 in. From what I keep reading, the 17 inch tires are noisier?

When I've checked the tires against the Michelin website, the tires aren't even commericially available! (It says the standard 16 in tire on the Sonata is no longer manufactured.)

According to Michelin, they have a tire that's a 9 and 10 in every category. Is that the 17 in standard Sonata tire?

Or, is is common practice that cars come with lousy original tires and then you have to switch them out a few years later for sweet tires?
  • Options
    Based on what I know:

1. The button for the air quality sensor allows you to turn the sensor on or off. If the button is lit, then the air quality sensor will automatically switch to recirculation mode when it detects "bad" air, and then switch back to normal mode when "good" air is detected. If the button is not lit, then the air quality sensor is disabled. You breathe what comes through the vents regardless if it is good or bad. :P Don't know why Hyundai gives you the option of disabling the AQS. Maybe the button's only purpose is to allow you to use fresh air only regardless of the air quality if that's what you want/need to do.

2. This may be a feature for foreign market Sonatas only. There are several features other countries can get that the North American market does not, reverse backup sensors being one of those options I can think of off the top of my head.

3. If the trip computer is anything like the one I have in my Elantra GT, then the MPG reading is an average over the period since reset. If you reset it you'll see the numbers change wildly at first, then slowly settle down. I remember going for the longest time without resetting the MPG reading and it came to a point where it never moved up or down. I now reset it after every fill up.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    jojo6jojo6 Member Posts: 20
    I had asked about mileage a few days ago. One reason I'm concerned that the 2006 gets somewhere close to the EPA, is an experience by my brother - he owns the Sonata from two models back, may be a 2000. Anyway, after buying, he got a letter from Hyundai where they said that the EPA mileage estimates were being downgraded because the cars supplied to EPA were "tricked" versions that did better than production cars. He got some kind of rebate to compensate, but not enough to pay for the extra fuel cost. Because of this I'm just a bit leary.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's interesting. I knew about the problems with horsepower being overstated on older Sonatas and other Hyundais, and the compensation campaign, but this is the first time I've heard about an mpg overstatement. But don't you think that Hyundai would be especially conscious of this issue for the '06 Sonata, which they say is their most important new car ever? One thing I have seen about Hyundai is that they seem to learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    After test driving my fair share of cars and trying to decide which on to buy I noticed that the new Sonata is missing one important feature when it comes to controlling the radio. There is not way to change the station on the radio, change from disc to disc or the option to advance or rewind to the next or previous song on a disc.

Does anyone know if this feature will be added?

Also, please be sure to check your entire car. I test drove a LX sonata with sunroof and upon inspection of the car I noticed that the stereo system was not upgraded but was the base radio with steering wheel controls. When you get the LX Sonata with sunroof the upgraded stereo is an included feature and it should be a 6 disc changer with sub.
  • Options
    jojo6jojo6 Member Posts: 20
    Don't want to give out incorrect info - it is possible it was a horesepower issue, and he mistakenly told me it was MPG. It has been several years back.
  • Options
    laflairlaflair Member Posts: 7
    Some people have been inquiring about pricing, here in NY I see an Ad ( July 8th) for a 2006 Sonata GL with the following discounts:
    MSRP 18,795
    Price Reduction - $1,400
    Active Military Rebate- $ 500
    College Grad Rebate- $ 400
    Owner Loyalty Rebate- $ 500

"Finance for $ 15,995"
    Looks like one of these deals where you can only put 5% down and pay 9.9% interest, although you can pay the whole thing off with no penalities if you have the available funds.
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    ask him about a navigational system
  • Options
    kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    To set the record straight, the "PULL OUT TRAY" that was originally questioned is an ash tray. The FIXED compartment immediately below A/C controls is not. They should have made it deeper to store CD's.
  • Options
    fertimo002fertimo002 Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    The female reviewer gets a zero rating, for not noticing that the car had a telescoping steering wheel. :P
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say but that dealer is full of bs, and is just talking like a salesman. How does he know how the AGS works when he hasn't even driven one? Thats what you call bs salesman ship.

Hyundai as well would have never made such add on , if it didn't enhance the car in any way, how would that make any sense business wise. In my educated guess it will make the car a better handler and give it a better ability for a higher speed 90 degrees turn

BUT i agree with him that passively he is saying, in most cases a family buyer won't care about that feature compare to other things, and that the current suspension system is as good as any mid size car out there.

Lastly it will be out later this year, as mentioned on the websites etc. Otherwise that be called false advertisement. I'm being defensive about it because i would love to get that add on, even though if it didn't come out for reals i would still get the car. And that i know how salesman talk and they are full of bsing
  • Options
    Here we go again! Another feather in the cap of Hyundai. Anyone who throws out any preconceived misconceptions about Hyundai will come away impressed with this car, that is, if objectivity holds sway.
  • Options
    skyburn1skyburn1 Member Posts: 7
    I think you misread what choe13 said. Notice the person in question was not a salesman, rather a Hyundai USA representative (of the company, not a dealership): "a gentleman from Hyundai in Los Angeles (Manager, Advanced Planning, Hyundai Motor America). "

So...while I would certainly be skeptical of a dealer saying this stuff, if indeed choe13 was speaking to the Hyunda USA guy, then he can probably be believed.
  • Options
    codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    The parts content info can't be right. The percentage is the same as the one shown on the Monroney sticker on the Korean-made 4-cyl. model.
    Most parts of the V6 are sourced here.
    Take a look this supplier map.

http://www.hmmausa.com/popup.cfm?id=61

A/C, engine, fuel pipes, glasses, muffler, headlamps, etc. all come from the U.S. factories.
  • Options
    The speed-sensitive door-lock feature comes disabled from the factory.
    It's programmable, but can be done only with the dealer scan tool.
    More info in TSB No. 05-90-006 on www.hmaservice.com
  • Options
    You can't "trick" EPA. They do the tests themselves.
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    The test that is done by the EPA is not a realistic test. The numbers provided are not for real world driving. Currently there is a big debate on how to modernize the test to make it more accurate and reliable. The link below shows you the current method that the EPA uses to test cars for mileage. As you will see everything is done in a controlled environment. There is no rain, wind, heat, snow, wind, black top or actual true resistances place on the car. We all no that all of these items and more make a difference in the MPG you get out of your vehicle.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
  • Options
    maudlinmaudlin Member Posts: 5
    Hey anyone wanna sell their 2006 Sonata LX option 3, Ebony Black for $20K .... lol.... Just kidding..... and if you wanna sell it, you probably need help :D

Good Luck to you all who bought 2006 Sonata. I wish I could have bought it. I have a Ford olide and decided to invest in a small property rather than buying a new car, when i pay off the property in six months, I might decide to look at the 2007 Sonata ;), they might have ebony balc with black interior leather then!!!!

Regards,
    Dave
  • Options
    This excerpt is taken from the current August issue and is a counterpoint by a C&D staffer, Barry Winfield:

Whoa, look out! Each new generation of cars coming from Hyundai is a major step better than the last one. This Sonata is a pleasure to drive, with a willing and flexible V-6 that does not need a ton of downshifting, spins the wheels at launch, and runs to 60 mph in 7.00 seconds. That's quicker than a Jag X-type 3.0 or a Mercedes C230 Kompressor. Not bad company. Better yet, the Sonata rides comfortably and steers accurately, even at loony speeds in the mountains, where only the all-season tires and the comfy shock valving smear quick left-right transitions. I think the car's design and finish are good too. This for 23 grand. I repeat. Look out.

Some instrumented stats.:

Interior Sound Level
    Idle ..........................................38 dBA
    Full throttle acceleration ............74 dBA
    70-mph cruising.........................67 dBA

Handling
    Roadholding 300-ft-dia skidpad.....0.79 g, which is higher than most competitors.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info...

BTW can anyone access that site? I tried to sign up but haven't received a confirmation e-mail yet.
  • Options
    shadow99688shadow99688 Member Posts: 209
    Factory tires are usually junk, the Michelin tires are really bad, I had a new car that had 5 sets of defective Michelin tires on it in 3 months before the dealer finally put goodyear tires on it and they lasted about 35k miles.
    the hancok tires usually only last about 8k to 10k miles
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    I have a 2001 santa fe with right at 50,000 miles on it - factory michelin tires...and I could probably go another 30,000 with these.
  • Options
    Click on "Forgot" on the log-in page and request your ID and password to be sent to the e-mail address you registered with.
  • Options
    chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    Anyone do the math and calculate gas mileage for the 4 cyl sonata GL or GLS?? thanks in advance. The sticker EPA says 24/33 city/highway. getting close to making a decision vs. camry 2005 LE. need a few more answers. Thanks
  • Options
    silver06silver06 Member Posts: 1
    I use a Dell laptop w/ streets & trips w/gps, this works great and can see what im doing without my glases.
  • Options
    denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    I bought the Dark Cinnamon LX. It has a bright sparkle in the sunlight. It is one of those colors that look different in different lighting conditions.
  • Options
    denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    My 06 LX has the 17 Michelin tires. They are the MXM4 tires. My son has a 05 Acura TL. These are the same tires used on his.
  • Options
    chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    okay folks. I tested two sonatas and one camry today and I'll give you my thoughts.

First the sonatas --- I tested a GL (obviously 4 cyl) 2006 sonata today for about 20 miles. It was peppy but the engine was noticeably loud. Brakes worked great. stereo wasn't bad. Wind noise wasn't too bad but with the michelin MXV4's, there was road noise. Manual seats were okay once you got set. AC was powerful. there wasn't any engine vibration through the steering wheel. I like the view in front and rear in this car. It feels sporty. Nice engine layout, easy to get to oil canister (has a instert, not a spin-on like most cars do but it's easy to access). The oil plug is a little far back on the back side of the oil pan. Most likely will have to raise vehicle or drive on ramps (the 1994-1996 and 1997-2001 versions you have great access to the oil filter on the engine top side and the drain plug has easy access, you don't have to raise the vehicle to do this. The 2004 accords I have to drive on ramps to access the oil filter on the upper back side of the engine - sucks). Anyway, not a bad car. It ran at about 2500 RPM's at 70MPH and when I compare to the camry, I seriously doubt the 4 cyl sonata will achieve 33 MPG on the highway. MSRP was 19500. The car has a donut spare (that sucks).

Finally test drove a GLS-V6. It was quieter, a good bit faster as expected with 235 HP vs. 162 HP. Very nice but the engine compartment is jammed packed and it will get less MPG than the 4 cyl (okay, I stated the obvious). I like to work on my own cars for minor things and the 6 is 10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb bag. I won't get the 6 cyl but it was really nice. Those who don't do their own maintance or care about less MPG, then that's the better choice. MSRP was 22,500

The camry was a 2005 LE for MSRP 20,800. It was a lot quieter (both wind and road noise but it had bridgestone tires vs. the michelins on the accord and sonata) than the sonata 4 cyl and still better than the 6 cyl sonata. Beats the accord in that catagory also. The brakes being only front disc, sucked really bad. The car was a tad smooter over bumps then either sonata but the 6 cyl came pretty close to the camry there. The radio sucked eggs in the camry. The view in front was tight vs. the sonata (I like the sonata way better in this). the view out the back was obstructed some with the middle head restraint in the camry. The engine was quieter on acceleration vs. the 4 cyl sonata and I believe comparable to the V6 sonata. The power seat in the camry was nice. The AC sucked in the camry. The steering wheel vibrated some which is a problem with camry's. They have soft rubber motor mounts to dampen the vibration but when they go, they go. I had problems with this with both of my 1994 camrys at 6 years of age and 120K miles. The camry has a full spare which is nice. The camry had a 2100 RPM at 70MPH which I know will get the 33-35 MPG on the highway.

On price, the camry guy said the 20,800 MSRP could be had for 17500 in a heartbeat (before taxes and tag stuff for an extra 650 in SC). Not bad but the brakes and driver's view really bothers me. My wife hates the camry due to the boring dash and stereo and no wood grain trim (I hate wood grain trim).

On the sonata pricing, the GL at 19500 MSRP was offered to me at 19200. I said some dealers are offering the same price but some were going at 200 over invoice (18000 invoice for this car). I WONT pay 19200 for a sonata period. At that point, I lost all interest and just walked out of the showroom.

He said that the LX's are going at 250 below MSRP and no lower. Fine. Don't want a 6 cyl sonata.

I thought about this more at home. I can get a camry with the side air bags, JBL stereo, 4 wheel disc brakes, wood trim (an SE or XLE version) and sunroof and with the discount of about 3500-3800, I can get it for 19200. And I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down.

All in all, I believe the sonata GL or GLS has a very slight edge over the camry (and accord since we own an EX-L 4 cyl 2004). That is only at a hundred or two over invoice, not 1200 over invoice. So, I guess I'll have to wait for the fall for rebates and interest incentives to entice me back on the lot. Hyundai says they're selling strong but every time I've been to my dealer, there might be one or two people talking but at the toyota place, there are at least 1/2 dozen or more looking or talking to buy.

Sorry Hyundai. You're going to have to drop the price to interest some people. That's my 2 cents.
  • Options
    So, I test ride a 2006 Sonata GL automatic. Two buddies in the back (reported GREAT leg room for one guy, 6'2", 180, another ~5'10", ~165.) I'm in the driver's seat, 6'2", 210, and the salesman's in the passenger's seat. (5'7", 150?!).

As we pull out, the car fuel light goes on, so the salesman puts in two gallons.

On the highway, it's kind of loud. My buddies in the back seat say, "It's really loud." This at 52 mph, 60 mph, 65 mph, 70 mph. THEN...we cross the county line (from Snohomish County to King County, on I-5 [Seattle area]) onto the rough King County I-5 roads (snow tire damage). TOO LOUD!

My buddies keep hearing a 'thumping' sound. I feel like I'm in an uncomfortable echo chamber. I thought this was supposed to be a really quiet car!

Apart from my buddies reporting the rear floor carpet could be moved by one's heal, and the LOUD NOISE (too loud, one buddy said), they thought it was good. They LOVED the rear seat room.

The salesman suggested the LX would be quieter because of more sound dampening. The internet salesman disputed that later. (I've not heard of this. Is it true?!?!?)

I'm really disappointed by the road noise. Not just road noise, but wind noise, too.

Also, the local FM public radio staion had interference. Lousy radio!!!

I was really psyched out about this car. But, because of the road noise, I may have been psyched out.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Agree completely about the Michelins and the lack of rebates. The Michelins on my 01 Elantra were sub-par and over priced. I paid $16K for a Malibu Maxx and wouldn't pay more for a Sonata. Interestingly enough the Maxx has some OEM low end Bridgestones that look terrible on paper but are much more satisfying than the Energies.

Again-- bring me that beautiful photo-chopped Sonata wagon at the same price as the Maxx and I'd be in that camp big time.
  • Options
    Take heart. There weren't any incentives on the Tucson when it first came out either, but now less than a year after it debuted there are large rebates and discounts on it, e.g. automatic GLs for about $16k in my town. And the midsized sedan market is even more competitive than the small SUV market.
  • Options
    sundazedsundazed Member Posts: 15
    purchased for $18,200 +TTL with no hassle in Arizona. GLS 4 with no options could be had for a little over $18,600. They didn't have my color so went with the GL. This was $300 under car direct at the time of purchase. Heading for a long trip so will see if I made the right decision.