Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Toggles thru displays of outside temp, driving range, avg. fuel economy, driving range, avyg. speed, travel distance from last start, ECO drive level, hybrid system energy flow.

I can read the Toyota features sheet.
  • Options
    killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    "I can read the Toyota features sheet."

What do you mean by that?

Killerpiece
  • Options
    chasgoosechasgoose Member Posts: 12
    In case anyone is curious, I was calling local dealers about putting a deposit down on a hybrid hoping maybe this time they would have started taking them(they have been clueless in Phoenix about the hybrids) and was surprised to discover that a couple dealerships just had an actual car arrive on the lot today. They are here!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Just ignore him. He's nasty to everyone. Once a weeks he makes a snide remark to someone just to put them down.
  • Options
    bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    I'm eager for a firsthand account. If you make it by and see one in person, your observations would be most welcome! As you can tell by some of my postings, I'm very curious how the trunk turned out. I'd like to be able to fit several large suitcases and even with the picture of the trunk several posts ago, it is very difficult to guage how much usable space there is. In the mid-Atlantic, I'm hearing the first ones will arrive mid-May, and of course, they're all pre-sold so there won't be a car to test drive! :mad:
  • Options
    killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    Thanks, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after what you said, it now puts his remarks into perspective. He's just a :lemon:, too bad :(

Thanks again...

Killerpiece :shades:
  • Options
    lawguy661lawguy661 Member Posts: 17
    As I previously posted, my dealer is fairly confident they will have one on the lot next week. It appears, at least here in Central California, that most will come "fully loaded." The wait list, with deposits, at my dealership is already deep (over 20). With that in mind, I doubt they will have any available for a test drive for some time.

Also, the ebay auction above appears to be totally bogus. They didn't even take the time to use a picture of an actual TCH.
  • Options
    toyojotoyojo Member Posts: 8

No fold downs, like in the SE and XLEs. I do believe it has the reclining seats in place of that.
  • Options
    anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    According to the glossy 2007 Camry brochure available from dealers, the Hybrid has 60/40 split fold-down rear seats. The rear seats don't recline.

The XLE has 40/20/40 split manually-reclining rear seats. The seats don't fold down, just the middle "20%" folds down for a small pass-through.
  • Options
    consumer46consumer46 Member Posts: 17
    Spotted a silver TCH on I-395 -- just south of DC on 29 April. Appeared to belong to CAT (Central Atlantic Toyota). The car looked superb. The silver front grill, "hybrid" badging, and rear taillights set the car off. The car still had "shipping" paperwork on the left rear door. Could not see much of the interior -- though the driver seemed happy in the stop and go traffic.
  • Options
    Yeah those CAT people get all the good stuff first. ;)
  • Options
    stj4stj4 Member Posts: 27
    Hello everyone,

I have been browsing the web, and came across this article.

http://www.soultek.com/clean_energy/hybrid_cars/hybrid_technology_poised_for_maj- or_revolution.htm

Looks like NiMH batteries are giving way to Li Ion batteries, which is 5 times more powerful, lasts 10 times longer, weighs 80% less, Charges much faster and will cut down production costs. It is predicted that short commutes could be entirely powered by the electric motor. 2008 prius is roumored to be the first vehicle to be produced with this battery which will boost its power, increase fuel economy and cut down the price of the car!!! Is it amazing or what?

Brake by wire may also come in in this timeframe.

As for me, I have my Camry hybrid coming in on May 15th, and am begining to wonder if I should hold back for the 2008 prius?

Anyone else came across similar articles, or any thoughts?

Thanks

SJ
  • Options
    NiMH batteries ... giving way to Li Ion batteries

The original article in Autoweek news date 10/28/2005 also says that lithium-ion batteries are more expensive; they still have a number of problems related to short-circuiting; and they have yet to be proved crashworthy. This will be evolution not revolution, just as with the evolution of batteries for cell phones, cameras, and other battery powered devices.

Brake by wire may also come in in this timeframe (2008)

The original article cited (also in Autoweek news dated 10/28/2005) on using drive-by-wire technology (instead of hydraulics) to convert braking energy into battery charge quotes two experts saying "doesn't see it in production until at least 2010" and "available in mainstream vehicles less than $25,000 in five to 10 years". Given the time it's taken to convert commercial aircraft to fly-by-wire (decades) this too may take time to evolve down to mainstream cars.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    lithium-ion batteries are more expensive; they still have a number of problems related to short-circuiting; and they have yet to be proved crashworthy.

My understanding is the Lithium batteries are OK until you try to make larger cells. Something to do with the cobalt having a runaway chemical reaction, causing a fire. I don't believe anyone has Lithium Ion batteries ready for commercial sale in a hybrid car. Several companies are working hard to make it happen. Cost is still prohibitive.
  • Options
    pcfpcf Member Posts: 2
    I drove a Camry Hybrid yesterday and it was awesome! i have never driven such a quiet car and the Camry is very responsive, very comfortable and a true pleasure to drive. The rear seats looked very roomy and I think plenty of room for large adults. I went to the dealership to test drive a Prius but fell in love with the Camry. Expect 60-90 days for delivery. This is a beautiful car at a great price. BTW, I am a Acura/Honda guy so I was really bias until I stepped in the Camry.
  • Options
    To those who know: How does it work with the TCH's trickling slowly into dealerships that have waiting lists for the cars, yet the dealers also have walk-in customers that want to test drive the TCH? Does the dealer keep one or several for showing and test driving or do they have customers drive the cars that are already designated for a customer?
  • Options
    pcfpcf Member Posts: 2
    The hybrid camry I drove yesterday had just arrived so it was a fluke there was one to test drive.
  • Options
    Those of you who are test driving Camry Hybrids, please post what dealership! Several dealers in Northern VA are saying that because the cars are aleady promised to customers there are none available for test drives. I was told that when "mine" comes in, I take the test drive and either buy it or forfeit my place in line.

I'd also love some comments from those of you who have seen it firsthand--what about the trunk?? Just how functional is the small 10.6 cu ft? Is it well arranged in terms of putting in larger suitcases?
  • Options
    Our intention is to put a 'Not for Sale' sign in the window of the first one coming in so that as many people as possible can drive it.
  • Options
    It sounds like you work for a dealership, but I haven't gone back through this entire thread to see if you say where. If your dealership is anywhere near me, I'd love to stop by and see one. A test drive would be icing on that cake!
  • Options
    I don't publicize it to avoid running afoul of the rules of the road but you can contact me by email. Hampton Roads.
  • Options
    hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    My local SF Bay Area dealer has informed me that a fully-loaded Titanium Metallic TCH has "been allocated to me", and is expected to arrive later this month. However, my first color choice (by a wide margin) is Jasper Pearl, followed by Blue Ribbon Metallic. The dealer claims that those colors won't be available for weeks or months, and hasn't been able to give me any specific time frames. I'm willing to wait, but am planning a long road trip for July, so ideally I'd like to take delivery in June. Any further info on the availability of those colors would be greatly appreciated. I would even be willing to trade the "rights" to my Titanium Metallic TCH to get my preferred colors.
  • Options
    Your profile lists your e-mail as private, so I am uncertain how I would go about e-mailing you. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am pretty new here.
  • Options
    Are there paint chips /color samples at dealers yet for Jasper Pearl? Or have you actually seen the color on a car? Just curious. I have only seen the color on the internet pictures which don't show colors well. I couldn't find any other Toyota cars (current or previous year models) that used that color. I'd like to see it.
  • Options
    It must be regional. Our first one is Jasper Pearl.

Annie.. I think it's a little lighter than the current Silver Pine Mica on the Avalons and Sienna's. It's a brand new, unique color for the TCH's so few if any have seen it.
  • Options
    Not a problem.. I have it in the profile further down in order not to have it publicized and copied into a databank. ;)
  • Options
    I haven't seen a TCH of any color in person, as yet. I did see the 07 Camry XLE in Blue Ribbon Metallic, and it's definitely more vivid in reality than it appears in the Camry sales brochure.
  • Options
    Kdhspyder, thanks for confirming that Jasper Pearl is available! I guess I need to bug my dealer again to see if they can somehow acquire that color by late June. Once more, if anyone has a fully-loaded Jasper Pearl (or Blue Ribbon) TCH that they'd "trade" for the fully-loaded Titanium Metallic one that has been allocated to me, please e-mail me (see the bottom of my profile). My TCH is supposed to be here (SF Bay Area) within 2-3 weeks, and I've agreed to pay MSRP.
  • Options
    alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    OK, so I'd really like a GS450H, but that's not really a surprise to anyone here. I'm sure we'd all like one, but aren't willing to pay the price.

Does the TCH drive much nicer than the Hybrid Accord?

Is there any sportiness to it?

How does it rank on the LUXO scale? Do you feel like you are in a Camry, or do you feel like you are in a Lexus ES?

Are the seats supportive? I just rode in my buddy's Ininiti G35 and I was surprised at how crummy the seats are. (then again, we all know that Nissan put its money into horsepower and not much else in that car - not that that is a bad thing, but I am over 200 pounds and over 6 feet, and I need a decent seat)

Interested in overall perceptions of the TCH and how it compares to other vehicles you considered.

Also (of course), real world highway MPG, city MPG, and blended MPG would be interesting.

ps I did read the FirstDrive review, but it doesn't answer any important questions.
  • Options
    mrf1mrf1 Member Posts: 1
    hybridiver - I am also in the Bay Area and put a deposit on a fully loaded TCH. The dealer I am working with won't make any commitments on timing. When did you put in your order? I am told we are between 15 & 20 on their list (we ordered April 9th), but I find it odd that they won't give me an exact place on the list. We were told that they would primarily be receiving the Titanium Metallic or the lighter grey (I forget the color name), so I don't think I can be of much help.
  • Options
    Be careful about your color--titanium gray IS the lighter gray. Magnetic gray is the darker one.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I'm getting the first allocation to my dealer. It's a Titanium loaded with all options. I needed the first one available in this area to be able to get it in time for the WV Tax Credit that runs out early next month. With the Fed Tax Credit added to the State Tax Credit I hope to save $5000+ The reviews I've seen saying the Hybrid doesn't pay off for 100,000 miles never seem to take into consideration the tax credits.
  • Options
    The reviews I've seen saying the Hybrid doesn't pay off for 100,000 miles never seem to take into consideration the tax credits.

Dont get yourself into a trap trying to justify a 4c ICE vs a TCH by saving fuel - unless you drive mega miles a year. The tax saving is a benefit but it's likely transitory.

Down the road you will certainly be able to buy a CE Camry much much lower than a TCH. If it is purely for budget reasons the CE is a better more economical buy.

If however, one were considering an ICE 4c XLE or a V6 LE or V6 XLE trim then a TCH is roughly equivalent in MSRP. The market will deterimine the discounts for each trim level.

A buyer can look at the TCH as a 4c XLE with V6 power ( similar amenities ) or purely as a V6 with 35-40 mpg fuel economy.
  • Options
    I put down a deposit about a month ago. I was never told where I was on the waiting list, nor did I ask. This is the first time I've ever tried to buy a car that wasn't already in front of me, and I must say it's a strange and mysterious process in many ways. :)
  • Options
    schtdyladyschtdylady Member Posts: 6
    Just spoke to my dealer (Woburn, MA) and they are requesting two styles of Camry Hybrid: stripped down and maxed out. There is a waiting list of only 8 people! We want a maxed out, hopefully, Blue Ribbon Metallic. They are expecting them first of June.
  • Options
    Anybody else who is just under 6' tall find the sunroof makes the 2007 Camry feel a bit claustrophobic? I have pulled the steering wheel as far from the windshield as possible and lowered the seat all the way. I have also adjusted the seat away from the windshield as much as feels comfortable. I still can't seem to shake the feeling that the sunvisor is uncomfortably in my field of vision and the area of the driver's door also seems to encroach into my space. It seems like taller drivers sit much farther back and so may now feel it. Shorter drivers probably won't feel it either.

I have a '99 Passat right now and I feel like I have SO much room around my head that the whole environment feels spacious and open. I felt quite constricted in the Camry. I even get a bit of it in the Camry without the sunroof.

I have mentioned this feeling in other forums where I was accused of lying. One guy said he was 6' 2" and had plenty of headroom. So, I'm trying to explain in greater detail what it felt like.

I mention it for those of you who may order a TCH without being able to thoroughly try it out. (Note that my experience was in an XLE with a sunroof. I expect the TCH to be the same.)

Would like to get some feedback from others who are around 6' tall. Am I just spoiled by the Passat? :surprise:
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I don't believe anyone has Lithium Ion batteries ready for commercial sale in a hybrid car. Several companies are working hard to make it happen. Cost is still prohibitive."

There are a couple of 250,000 sports cars out there with LiIon batteries... but expensive, as you note.
  • Options
    Anybody else ... find the sunroof makes the 2007 Camry feel a bit claustrophobic? ..... Shorter drivers probably won't feel it ....

Yes, I find it claustrophobic. And I am 5'4". Because the waistline of the car is so high, I have trouble seeing out the windows unless I crank the seat height up. Then my head is within 3" of the lining which is too close. My current Gen 3 camry has a lower waistline and I sit lower down and have about 7" to the headliner. Our other car is a 2000 Honda CRV and even the 6'4" driver has 5" of headroom (and I have a vaulted ceiling above me).

HOWEVER, since it won't be possible to get anything other than a base TCH without a sunroof for "some time" (undefined period) I have decided to live with it.
  • Options
    Grew up in Schenectady before leaving for NYC lo these many years ago.. No Toyota dealers in the Capital District with TCH's available?

This is the perfect vehicle for Schenectady's past as the city that 'lit and hauled the US'.
  • Options
    :( wished they had memory seats; that should be standard for us two-driver commuters!
  • Options
    Haven't lived in Schenectady since I left for college; it was a GREAT place to grow up in however. In the Boston area now and that is cool too.

We are more concerned with what options are on the car rather than the color. I want everything but the sunroof is something I never use. I like the Blue Ribbon and the Barcelona Red. Titanium would be pretty but I am ready for something other than Desert Sand which is about the color of my 95 Camry that I will be replacing. I do LOVE that baby blue color and was disappointed to see it wasn't supposed to be available in the hybrid.
  • Options
    I second that! It is the feature several friends have that I most want. Second is folding side view mirrors. Surely Toyota engineers have seen these?

Does Toyota have a feature "wish list" anywhere?
  • Options
    so, is it just too early for me to ask my questions, comparing the TCH, the Accord Hybrid, etc.?

or did I say something to piss you guys off?

:P
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    did I say something

No, I don't think anyone has an idea yet and did not respond for that reason. It is a legitimate question. I am not sure they will be in the same demographic. They have more in common than not. If the TCH does not get significantly better mileage I would say the Accord may be the better choice. I imagine the Accord will have better performance. Time will tell.
  • Options
    I think the HAH's days are numbered. It continues to slide in sales and Honda is de-emphasizing it. The HAH is significantly more powerful but its also more expensive with no 'affordable' option. It's top trim or nothing.

Sales of the HAH are running around 500 units a month. The TCH should be about 6-8 times that many until the end of the year when they should move up to 12-15 times as many. The market will speak though.
  • Options
    I really wish someone would come out with a full-size hybrid coupe. I prefer the look of the Accord Coupe over the Sedan (though there aren't any Toyota coupes that I like). I lamost prefer the Civic to the Accord, but I prefer something more substantial, in the event I need to do longer drives. (I prefer a more substantial seat, as I am 200 pounds)

thus, the Camry....or the Accord...or the GS350H :-)

or a Volvo C70 convertible

;-)
  • Options
    Okay. . . so the dealer calls me yesterday and says that my fully loaded TCH is in, in the dark grey color I had requested. I immediately proceed to dealership, I do not pass go, and I do not collect $200. Within 2 hours, it's in my driveway, after having paid full msrp (but no mark-up or goofy accessories). So, with that brief history, I will try to answer some of the earlier questions.

The trunk: It certainly is not as deep as a regular Camry trunk, as you can tell from the previously posted pictures. However, I was surprised by it's usefullness. For a comparison, I traded in my 2003 Passat W8, and I had a bunch of stuff in its trunk (two file boxes, an x-ray lightboard, and my golf clubs). The Passat trunk was pretty full with these items. I was easily able to get all three in the TCH trunk. I think this is because the TCH trunk is deeper (as in ceiling to floor) than the Passat. One other thing of note in the trunk. I couldn't tell by the pictures, but hanging from the top of the trunk, towards the seat, is a big black box that provides cooling and air filtration to the battery. It's actually kinda interesting. There is also a big vent (not seen in any pictures I have viewed) along the back by the rear window. Finally, the 12 volt car battery is in the trunk, ala BMW. To summize, the trunk is better than I anticipated.

Initial driving impressions are good. I am avergaing about 30 mph over the first 30 miles or so. I have noticed that on first starting it up this morning, the gas engine runs more often, while the batteries warm up. I anticipate that the batteries will be a bit tempature-tempramental. The silent battery only operation is extremely cool, and so far I have been able to go about 33 mph on battery only.

So, that's my early impression.

Should anyone have a specific question, I will try to provide an answer.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    great information on the trunk - thank you! What part of the country are you in and what options did you get on your TCH?
  • Options
    I am in California. I believe I got all of the options: Navigation, Leather, Heated Seats and Mirrors, Sunroof. It stickered out to just a shade over $30k.

A little more info on the trunk. It has a donut spare in it. Accordingly, I am registering with AAA today.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    You got the EXACT car I want! Here in the Midwest / Cincinnati Region I haven't heard of any TCHs showing up yet, and nothing in the pipeline with NAV :(

All 2007 Camrys have the donut spare; I was a bit disappointed to see that, as I've had 2 previous Camrys and they've all had full-sized spares, but I'll learn to live with it!