Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• kc1976kc1976 Posts: 11
    Hi Kyfdx

The in service date was July 05.

My bad. I actually went to see the car one more time today. It does have 17" wheels! Yes, it has the sport seats!

The trade in value in KBB and Edmunds are at least $24K. I suspect the black book whole sale value is roughly $21K-$22K. And the dealership throws in CPO, 4 new tires and some recondition work, which cost about $2K. So I guess dealer can roughly earn $500-$1500 over the deal.

If I can get the financing on time, I'll take it tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback!

KC
  • Hi people

I want to know BMW 2004 328 4DR Seden, 60000 miles Maintainese Cost If i bring the car to BMW dealer or Private body shop.
    For example.
    1 .Oil Change
    2. Replace tire and Tire Rotation (Do i have to use the tire from BMW dealer and how many miles i suppose to replace the tire?)
    3. Transmission Fluid
    4. Engine Cooltant
    5. Replace Spark Plug
    6. Replace brake Pad
    7. Replace brake
    8. Inspection
    9. Replace Head Light
    I heard after 5 years, BMW used car starts having small problems specially the electronic systems which is true?

I appreciate for anyone's help.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    A 2004 328i? Sorry, doesn't exist, at least not here in the States anyway.
  • My Mistake. i mean to say BMW 2004 325i. It is a typo. I apologize
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    I want to know BMW 2004 328 4DR Sedan, 60000 miles Maintainese Cost If i bring the car to BMW dealer or Private body shop.

First off, if you haven't purchased the car yet, I would strongly advise you to have it inspected by a qualified BMW tech. Not much goes wrong on the newer 3 Series, but you still want to buy a good one.

Now for your questions regarding costs. In most cases, the best way to keep maintenance costs reasonable is to find a GOOD independent BMW tech; you will save 25%-50% on service compared to the dealer. I also advise joining the BMW Car Club of America, since many independents and dealers offer 10%-20% discounts on parts and/or labor. All modern BMWs use a Service Interval Indicator to inform the driver when routine maintenance is required. On a 2004 325i an oil change will be called for at @15,000 mile intervals. A minor service(Inspection I) will come up at 30,000 miles and a major (Inspection II) service at 60,000 miles. I perform an "extra" oil change at 7,500 miles in my driveway. An oil change using synthetic oil will cost $60-$100, an Inspection I $150-$300, and an Inspection II $450-$800. Coolant must be changed every three years-using BMW Coolant ONLY, while the DOT4 brake fluid should get flushed every two years. I assume the car has an automatic? If so, in the newer cars I change the so-called "Lifetime" ATF fluid and final drive oil every 100,000 miles. Note that my mileage and cost numbers are approximate. For example, if you change the oil yourself using a BMW filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 or BMW 5W-30 synthetic the cost will be under $45. On the other hand, my local BMW dealer charges very reasonable rates for some of the services that I don't have the time and/or desire to perform. The dealer only charged me $110 to change the ATF AND the synthetic final drive oil on my wife's 5 Series, and they changed the coolant and the brake fluid on my 3er for just $143. Your car uses a more exotic ATF, so expect to pay $250-$450 more for the ATF service.

As for tires, you best bet is Tire Rack. I have their tires shipped to one of their recommended installers who charges $10 per tire to mount and balance.

I heard after 5 years, BMW used car starts having small problems specially the electronic systems which is true?

In my experience, the common problems for 3 Series cars of that vintage are not that numerous. The water pump and radiator can be expected to need replacement at 60K-100K intervals. The power window regulators can be failure prone, but replacement is fairly simple- a DIY if you have a few tools. Otherwise, the E46(1999-2005) 3 Series cars have proven to be very durable. So much for the internet myth of unreliable BMWs. I have a 1995 318ti with over 112,000 miles on it and the only electrical items I've replaced are a couple of tail light bulbs and a brake light switch.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Great Info ! I appreciate It!

Sorry for my questions. I am educating myself since i really plan to get a BMW later.

My Case:
    My friend is selling his 2004 BMW 325 AT for 20K but i am thinking to just get a new basic 2007/2008 BMW 328 to avoid those maintainse cost. I dont mind the 12K difference and i know BMW has 4 year free maintainese plan which sounds good. I am just worried how much i should spend on repair and maintainese after 4 years. (I plan to keep the car for 8-9 years). My prediction is driving 12K-15K miles per year and i am not a speeding driver.

Question 1:
    To make it simple, from my case, if i get a new 328, after 4 years, how much i should expect to maintain/repair the car if i joined the club? I know a IS 350 is about $500 per year for maintainese + repair after 4-5 years and Acura TL is about 400$ as well but i can't find accurate number for BMW 325/328. From what you mentioned above, i come out the number as $473 - $600 every year after 4 year usage and assume nothing breaks and just regular maintainese and replace tires and brake pads. Is that close to what you guys are paying right now?

Also, is 2007/2008 328 approved to be reliable yet? Is there any big recall going? I am going to be better off with 2005 325/330 model seems it has been tested by more users?

Thanks!!
    From what you mentioned above, i come out the number as $473 - $600 every year after 4 year usage and assume nothing breaks and just regular maintainese and replace tires and brake pads. Is that close to what you guys are paying right now?

Pretty close; some years will cost more than others, but it should average out.

Also, is 2007/2008 328 approved to be reliable yet? Is there any big recall going? I am going to be better off with 2005 325/330 model seems it has been tested by more users?

Well, it's still a bit early to determine the long-term reliability of the current 3 Series. I don't expect it to be horrible, but that's just a guess on my part.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I'm in the market for a previously owned BMW. I like the 2005 325i and have found alot on Craigslist. The one I am interested in has 25,000 miles and has all the features and color that I want. The price is $20,500. The seller is an independent car dealer who gets his cars from BMW finance dept. He is going to fax me the carfax report and there will be one year left on the maintenance warranty. I would prefer to buy a CPO from a dealer but the prices I'm finding are over $25,000. Here are my questions:

1) Should I stay away from Craigslist and only deal with a BMW dealer?
    2) If I go ahead with this, is there any reason why BMW wouldn't honor the maintenance warranty? (i.e., the car was not serviced by a BMW dealer)
    3) Would you have the car inspected by a dealer even though there is a maintenance warranty?
    4) If I call a local BMW dealer with the VIN number would they share the maintenance history?

My one friend feels that if the warranty is in place I don't need to have it inspected since everything would be covered.

Thanks for any feedback - it is greatly appreciated.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I would definitely have the car inspected - mostly to ensure it hasn't been involved in an accident.

It sounds like a nice car at a somewhat too good to be true price. If the car is sound, it's a heck of a deal, but the price is cause for some caution.

Good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Definitely have it inspected like others have suggested here. CARFAX does NOT....repeat....does NOT....show all accidents, even major ones. This car could be fine, a great deal, or it could have been smacked up 5 times.

Other than prior collision damage, there's really not too much that could be wrong at this low mileage, but you should look for signs of abuse, including smoke-smell, undercarriage damage, manipulation of the VIN tags, or the use of mickey-mouse parts, such as cheap tires, cheap oil filters, etc.---always a bad sign on a BMW.

• I ran my own Carfax report at the suggestion of my insurance company and it does indicate on accident on January 2006 with moderate damage. It doesn't give specifics but does say it was front impact. Would you move on based on this or still have it inspected. My Honda was hit from behind two years ago and I have $5000 damage and it continues to run fine. There was no structural damage. I reported this to the police and reviewed my own carfax report and it doesn't even show up as being reported.
    Would you move on based on this or still have it inspected.

I'd move on; a hit reduces the value of the car by 10%-20%. Who knows if the repair work was performed to BMW standards? Why settle for a car that's been hit when you can probably find 30-50 other E46 3ers for sale within 100 miles of your home?

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    " ran my own Carfax report at the suggestion of my insurance company and it does indicate on accident on January 2006"

I suspected as much...

Move on.
  • Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the feedback and will move on.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Yeah, this is a plentiful car, so there's no reason to compromise.

• Has a premium package ( sunroof ) on it. The delears refuse to bring one more cents down from the sticker. That's their special. I do'nt know whether I shall wait untill 31 to knock them dead ( or maybe not), or not.
    There is another one with no premium package, same price, but only has 16000 miles one it. Any suggestions? Which one I should go with and whether there is potential to bring the price down more?
  • I came across a 2004 330ci coupe 45k mi for 23k that I'm interested in. It has sports package, premium package and 18" chrome rims (ick) which I would probably make the dealer switch out.

The original warranty has run out which which means I CANNOT get the extended maintenance plan....What do you think of the price? It definitely needs to be a bit lower, but how much lower...I don't know. I'd appreciate any opinions.

FYI this is from a Lexus dealer.
  • 06 325i with 10k miles for 30k . The car has sunroof, heated seats , auto . It doesn't had sports package, xenon.

Is this a good deal ?, how hard is to install bluetooth for the phone in this model.
  • It definitely should be lower. I just bought my first bmw a few weeks ago which is similar to the one you're looking at:

2005 330ci coupe
    15K miles
    Black exterior, black interior
    sports package (comes with 17's)
    premium package
    cold weather package
    bluetooth
    sirius satellite
    xenon headlights
    certified pre-owned

Price: $28K

good luck!
  • 2005 325xi - 23,991 miles.. Lease return.

Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Sunroof
    1 year and 25,000 miles left on Factory Warranty
    $25,700
    Gray with Gray leather interior.
    It's not CPO.
    It's being sold at a BMW dealership.

Good price? What should I do feel good about the maintenance history of the car?