Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    That zig zag slogan was used for Cadillac Catera in the 90s.. Unfortunately that slogan did not attract as many non-conformists to a Catera as GM had expected.

The marketing department decided to go with "The Caddy That Zigs" because "we slapped a Cadillac badge on this Opel Omega" didn't have that nice ring to it. Cadillac never seems to learn that cheap car rebadging doesn't work for them. The BLS, which is basically the Catera's successor, has also been a huge failure.
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    The BLS, which is basically the Catera's successor, has also been a huge failure.

The BLS is pretty much a Saab 93 with the Caddy badge...
  • Options

The BLS is pretty much a Saab 93 with the Caddy badge...

Exactly. The Catera rode on plebian global architecture, and so does the BLS, which is why they have both been flops. Jaguar ran into the very same issue with the X-type. You just can't compete with BMW using a tarted up Ford or Chevy, especially in the European auto market.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Interesting. I've always thought that people who need symbols to show others have lower, rather than higher, self-esteem.
    People with high self-esteem often drive old cars, wear clothing they like and may very well use a Timex watch. They don't feel the need to impress anyone.

I know those are the type of people who tend to avoid all luxuries and would never ever be found in a place called "Luxury Lounge". ;)

There are a lot of people with high self esteems who are indifferenct to luxuries and
    there are a lot of people with high self esteems who love luxuries and buy luxuries not knowing exactly why those luxuries are sold at such a high price except by their notion that" higher priced things tend to be better".

As I said most people do not have the time to research the attributes of their purchases and price is usually the best guide of a product's superiority. Whether it is true or not is another question all together.

And let us not forget the person with high self esteem who researches all the products he purchases and ends up buying luxuuries. Now those type of people are a rare minority and are the non-poseur luxury owning people of the world!
  • Options
    For a buyer interested in more than just 3-pointed star badge prestige, Infiniti could be a credible alternative

That is why BMW has become the number one premium brand globally and Lexus has become number one in the USA.

Infiniti is still waiting to be discovered by the market.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Because the Catera was a boring design that was mis-badged, IMO!!!!

Zag to the most distant ends of meaning!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    Now Audi is talking my kind of car!

Same here. I am very interested to see what Audi decides to do with the replacement for the V6 A4 and A6. If the A6 3.0T becomes the base car and yet packs 340hp+, what happens to the A6 4.2?

Auto spies claims that the 4.2 is getting a bi-turbo and approx. 500 hp. If true, I will be replacing my 05 4.2. :)
  • Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    I do read the Inside Line for interesting articles every day. Some times, I even looked into the GT-R forums to watch the dirty fighting between Porsche owners and GT-R fans.
  • Options
    It looks like the fantastic BMW rentals with high residual values are starting to bite back at the Company.
    BMW, the world's largest premium carmaker, will book a €236-million ($372-million U.S.) charge for the first quarter as the turbulence in credit markets forces it to mark down the value of used cars.

Article
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Good article, thanks for posting it.

I am always looking at local CPO Lexus LS cars and it also appears to me that their prices are going down. It may just be my imagination but it looks like the prices went down 2 or 3 grand recently practically over night.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Which LS are you hunting for, 460 or 430?
  • Options
    I am only half-heartedly looking and primarily for an 05 or 06 430. I have seen some nice 05s lately. CPO's with low miles and priced in the low $30's.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    skyline707skyline707 Member Posts: 1
    Anyway as all of you know by now the Nissan Skyline GT-R is officially the best dressed as well as the most kick [non-permissible content removed] car out there now. If you were to start everything over and showed this car to Henry Ford he would [non-permissible content removed] himself..... Hell I [non-permissible content removed] myself when my uncle rolled up in his gunmetal grey Skyline I didnt belive it, he had gotten one for less than 50k$ and he wont tell me his souces either and it is killin me. To wrap it up this car is HOTT! and there is no car that will beat it exept maybe if I wait til they drop the 420z? HaHa that should happen.....
  • Options
    To eclipse the successful supercharged engine, AMG is now developing a twin-turbo 5.0-litre variant good for around 570bhp and 665lb ft of torque. AMG being AMG, there's also an even meatier 700bhp/885lb ft version of this motor to replace the 612bhp V12. The ESP systems of Germany are going to be troubled with alarming frequency...

MB AMG, BMW and Audi are focusing their attention away from the naturally aspirated V8s. Twin Turbo V8s and hybrids seems to be the future.

Death of performance cars like the MB S65!
    'As an engineer, I'm excited by the challenge of meeting ecological targets, but as an enthusiast I'm also sad. In the future there won't be any cars like the S65. How can there be? If we fit direct injection and stop/start and every eco device, we could maybe cut emissions to 240g/km. But how are we going to then halve them again? We need to cut weight but customers are not willing to sacrifice any of the luxury and safety equipment.

CarMagazine
  • Options
    The 2009 Maxima looks good in pictures. I always liked the Max up until 2004, after that I just did not like the styling. The new one looks much better IMO.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Cadillac never seems to learn that cheap car rebadging doesn't work for them.

Hyundai is quite exceptional compared to all marques that rebadge. They're doing things backwards. They're introducing a luxury competitor with a distinct RWD unshared platform and keeping the humble Hyundai badge on it.

GM is having far more luck in terms of rebadging their Opels as Saturns.
  • Options
    pjsentpjsent Member Posts: 4
    I am seriously considering starting a "limousine" / ground transportation service company. Want to provide customer base with something which is a cut above the DTS / Town Car sort of a vehicle. Candidate cars I am considering would be: A8L, LS460L, S-class. Would appreciate comments from operators who have practical experience using these vehicles in a commercial environment. Thanks for your insights.
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    A8L, LS460L, S-class. Would appreciate comments from operators who have practical experience using these vehicles in a commercial environment

While S-Classes used as limos are not unheard of, I don't believe you are going to find a 'commercial environment' use of either the Audi or the Lexus.

Seems that a LWB Lexus would be the way to go. Gets plenty of praise for its back-seat comfort and is reliable and a little more affordable out the gate than your other options.

For what it's worth, the LWB Jag XJ has the reliability of the Lexus, better mpg and a little more exclusivity IMO.
  • Options
    reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I am using the "zag" comment as a form of a fun illustration. The actual pure description of Audi is simply:

Vorsprung durch Technik

This statement sums up Audi brillantly!

Cadillac Catera has nothing to do with Audi. Let's not insult the Audi name.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Cadillac Catera has nothing to do with Audi. Let's not insult the Audi name.

The C----a should not even by allowed in this forum!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    That is why BMW has become the number one premium brand globally and Lexus has become number one in the USA.

Infiniti is still waiting to be discovered by the market.

I think in today's market, the BMW roundel carries even more weight and prestige than the MB star. The prestige of owning a BMW certainly hasn't hurt their sales achievements, though BMW ownership could hardly be called "exclusive" these days considering in the UK the 3 series now outsells the Mondeo, and there are so many in LA that Dan Niel has taken to calling them "Bavarian roaches".
  • Options
    Auto spies claims that the 4.2 is getting a bi-turbo and approx. 500 hp. If true, I will be replacing my 05 4.2.

As usual I think Auto Spies is full of crap on this one. According to LLN, the variant of the 3.0T that will make its way into the A6 will produce 290hp and 310ft.lbs of torque, making it competitive with the 535i while still allowing room for a naturally aspirated 4.2L V8 to slot above it. I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 gets another power bump from its current 350hp, maybe even a displacement bump after so many years at 4.2L, but expecting RS6 power for less than $60K is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    I am only half-heartedly looking and primarily for an 05 or 06 430. I have seen some nice 05s lately. CPO's with low miles and priced in the low $30's.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get an '04? That was when the LS got the slight reskin and the 6-speed automatic. I'm pretty sure the '05s were identical, and for '06 they just adjusted the option packages slightly and I think added some leather upgrade options.
  • Options
    The 2009 Maxima looks good in pictures. I always liked the Max up until 2004, after that I just did not like the styling. The new one looks much better IMO.

The lights are a little weird, but otherwise its a decent looking car. The thing I liked about the '04 Maxima was the change back to a modern rear suspension. Switching to a solid rear axle in the '90s for a few inches of extra room in the back seat was a slap in the face to the original "four door sports car", and I was glad to see Nissan return to their senses. What I didn't like about that car was its atrocious interior that was the result of the desperate Ghosn cost cutting at the time. The new Maxima does a complete 180 in that regard and handily beats the Accord and the Avalon on the inside. It's nearly G35 quality.
  • Options
    though BMW ownership could hardly be called "exclusive" these days considering in the UK the 3 series now outsells the Mondeo, and there are so many in LA that Dan Niel has taken to calling them "Bavarian roaches".

That is exactly why I find it funny when some members boast that the BEST luxury brand anywhere is the one that sells the most. The high number of BMWs in certain areas really does diminish exclusivity of the BMW marque.

Today BMW seeks to cater to every single market segment that exists today (except for trucks) and to market segments that have never existed before(A Sport Utility Coupe that combines the worst of a space constrained coupe with the heaviness of an SUV)

During yesteryear BMW catered mainly to driving enthusiasts. I yearn for those old days.
  • Options
    kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 gets another power bump from its current 350hp, maybe even a displacement bump after so many years at 4.2L, but expecting RS6 power for less than $60K is beyond ridiculous.

I would be suprised if the next generation A6 4.2 can be had for less than $60k. My 05, which is pretty much loaded, listed for just over $60K and that was over three years ago. A fully loaded 2008 A6 4.2 currently lists for just over $70K. Considering the next generation is a few years away, and that Audi will need to make price adjustements because of the A5 and the pending A7, as well as adjusting for the falling dollar, I expect that the next generation A6 4.2, with an acceptable option package will be in the $70s, and fully loaded will be in the $80s. As far as HP, I agree that Auto Spies may be a bit optimistic. If I had to guess I would put the next HP rating for the 4.2 at around 425 HP.
  • Options
    atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    I think in today's market, the BMW roundel carries even more weight and prestige than the MB star

Well, maybe at the "low end", 3 series vs C Class, but at the "high end", IMO the MB S class easily trumps the BMW 7 Series
  • Options
    You are right about the 04 but it is harder to find one with low miles. The right one at the right price would be ideal.

Being retired, I do not have to impress anyone with what I drive any more. My 2002 RL is a CPO and still has a full years warranty left on it. It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. It has been flawless and fun to drive so I am really in no hurry to get rid of it. It gets me to the golf course and back home just fine.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    You make a good point, also it is pretty clear that BMW is "best in class" in the 3 segment. Where in the high end, the 7 has never been "best in class" - The S, A8, and maybe the LS and Jag would beat it in overall segment performance.
  • Options
    I agree. Essentially right now, BMW has two models to choose from: The 3 or the 5.
    Both great cars by the way. However, it would be nice to see a new 7 series that could duke it out with the S class and the LS.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Tagged along with my friend today he wanted to check out nissan and honda cars I have to honestly say there was nothing that I liked only the accord coupe has an interesting design.

How is AUDI handling and reliability compare to BMW? AUDI had got my attention with the new A4 and the upcoming Q5

Is there any other SUV that AUDI will be making perhaps Q6 Q8? Any1 know?
  • Options
    BMW is "best in class" in the 3 segment

I agree but I think I would rather pick the new A4.

I would also pick the new S5 than the 6series.
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Remember this has nothing to do with BMW and MB being better cars than Audi. I am speaking strictly in terms of sales.

Obviously. :)

But I still don't see how you could say what you said when, at the end of the day, all three will be above 1 million and below 2. Take out MINI and Smart, and you have two companies that are closer to Audi in sales than you would think.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    That could be true, but their sales speak for themselves.

Infiniti is the only luxury brand rising at a steady pace in the US, in a time of imminent recession.

Last month (or February?) was the first time they sold better than Acura. They also sell better than Audi, Volvo and SAAB.

The G35 appears to be an infallible seller for them; for each commercial touting how great a deal you can get on an EX35, a dozen G models drive by. I think that, as the rest of the range approaches that level of competence, they will have a very strong lineup.

Then again, there are other brands also on the rise (Merc is rising every other month or so, and Audi has stayed flat thanks to leases on the B7 A4), and there are no luxury brands that are just standing still. You may be right, because most of the other brands have already found their niches.

• Options
    Sales volume is a compliment for Toyota, GM, VW and Honda. If you want to know the dire consequences of being number one in luxury sales volume then why dont you ask a gentleman by the name of Pierre Cardin

One fellow just proudly mentioned that Audi caters to non-conformists. Can you think of any brand that is NUMBER ONE in sales and at the same time caters to non-conformists?

BMW being number one in my view is an insult and I yearn for the days when BMW was just a niche player catering to a niche market that just wanted performance sedans. The days when engineers designed fantastic cars and rolled up their eyes whenever they heard some of the ridiculous things that resulted from marketing focus group sessions. Unfortunately today BMW is ruled by focus groups and that is why they are globally number one.

• Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    If I was going for a sedan I would agree, I think the new A4 solves the main issue with the old platform and that was understeer due to too much weight forward. With the new platform Audi has solved this issue, of course until we drive it we won't really know.

I would also pick the S5 over a 6 series, the 6 just doesn't look right and is too heavy. The S5 is a beauty and performs great at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Well, maybe at the "low end", 3 series vs C Class, but at the "high end", IMO the MB S class easily trumps the BMW 7 Series

I wasn't really talking about any particular model, just in terms of "I drive a *blank*". The S-class and SL names carry so much weight on their own that I don't even think you really have to say "S-class Mercedes". The rest of the lineup definitely doesn't measure up to that standard.
  • Options
    Where in the high end, the 7 has never been "best in class" - The S, A8, and maybe the LS and Jag would beat it in overall segment performance.

The full-lux segment isn't really a BMW strong suit. That segment is all about luxury and comfort. "Ultimate driving" just isn't a priority, and BMW simply doesn't do luxury and comfort as well as the leaders.
  • Options
    How is AUDI handling and reliability compare to BMW? AUDI had got my attention with the new A4 and the upcoming Q5

Traditionally, Audis have been very nose heavy because of their FWD architecture and engines forward of the front axle, which made them understeer badly and have limited steering feedback. The first Audi to break this trend was the outgoing RS4, which used a shift in torque split from their usual 50/50 to 40/60 and some suspension enhancements as a counter to the big engine right at the front.

The new A4, A5, and Q5 are based on Audi's new "MLP" architecture, which pushes the engine backward into a more "front-mid" layout similar to the RWD competition for better balance and handling. They are much better than Audis of old, but still not quite at the level of a 3 series. The B8 RS4 should finally show what Audi can really do in terms of tuning this new architecture for maximum performance.

Audi has hugely improved reliability in the last few years. According to CR, the A6 is now more reliable than the Lexus GS. As for upcoming SUVs, there is going to be a Q3 that will slot below the Q5.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    My Audi has been very reliable, and is about three years old...In the past, the resale value has been pretty miserable---so anyone planning on buying one should take that into consideration..I almost purchased the bmw 7, but that deal got screwed up, and i took the chance on the much better interior materials, a8.....I doubt I will be buying any type of car like the a8, Mercedes, Bmw, in the future, as I think a bit smaller, and hy-bred type of car will be interesting----when the time comes.....It really isn`t so much the cost of driving, as I don`t drive that many miles in a year( maybe eight thousand or nine) but I would like the variety to change some....Like Hpowers, I park carefully, and am tired of thinking about a dent or scrape--as believe me a high end car is expensive to repair...Tony
  • Options
    As usual I think Auto Spies is full of crap on this one. According to LLN, the variant of the 3.0T that will make its way into the A6 will produce 290hp and 310ft.lbs of torque, making it competitive with the 535i while still allowing room for a naturally aspirated 4.2L V8 to slot above it. I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 gets another power bump from its current 350hp, maybe even a displacement bump after so many years at 4.2L, but expecting RS6 power for less than $60K is beyond ridiculous.

Agreed wholeheartedly. The more likely scenerio for the 4.2 V8 (if Audi continues with this normally aspirated engine) will be anywhere from 400-420 bhp. Some previous rumors place the starting bhp for the new A8L in 2010 at 420 bhp. It is likely then that the new A6 (also around that time) will have the same V8 at the top of the line-up.
  • Options
    All such great posts lately and they continue this forum's fair and balanced discussions. First of all, I agree I do not see getting an A6 4.2 below 60,000 USD new anywhere. Three years ago, when we purchased our A6 4.2 , we bought it for 65,000 USD. I think that any V8 in this specific segment with all the doodads and doohickies on it will never sell below 60,000 USD any longer.

I remember two years ago attending a "luxury" driving experience which included the 7-Series, the S-Class, the A8L, the XJ, and the LS. We drove two types of courses - an autocross set up at the Santa Anita race track parking lot in LA, and a 30 minute drive in each vehicle through some mountainous roads. This is how I settled on my A8L. In the autocross (dry not wet conditions), the 7-Series had a slight edge over the A8L, but the A8L and 7-Series had a huge edge in handling and performance over the S-Class, the XJ, and the LS. I think this would be the respected result considering the atrributes of each marquee. However, on the mountain road, the results could not have been different. The A8L felt the best -composed, tight, and handled the corners with authority. The 7-Series felt very jittery and hyper which really turned me off on it, while the S-Class floated like a boat, the XJ felt too small and overwhelmed by its competitors, and the LS lacked direct steering feel. Taking into consideration the build quality, interior materials, ergonomics, and design of the A8L it was no brainer for me. However, I got the W12 instead of the 4.2 at the end. The long winded point I am trying to make is that sales (in the US anyway) do not necessarily reflect which is the better vehicle. As one astute person on this forum once wrote, "sales volume do not necessarily equate with the best in class."

Although, these marquees will be selling over 1 million (at least three of them by the end of the year), this may be a mute point as all of these marquees are entering every niche imaginable.
  • Options
    Poser = a puzzling or baffling question

I think what you all mean is poseur

I would say a poseur is someone that buys a certain item not because they "understand or intellectualize" it, but because they see others buying it and so they assume they must have one. Generally, these are Sheep. This describes a high percentage of today's luxury car buyers (Disclaimer: This statement does not apply to anyone on the "luxury lounge") Of course, we can apply this concept to other things than just luxury cars - politics come to mind.
  • Options
    First of all, I agree I do not see getting an A6 4.2 below 60,000 USD new anywhere. Three years ago, when we purchased our A6 4.2 , we bought it for 65,000 USD. I think that any V8 in this specific segment with all the doodads and doohickies on it will never sell below 60,000 USD any longer.

When I said "below $60K", I meant the starting MSRP, not the price somebody would actually pay for one. The current A6 V8 starts at $56K. There's just no way Audi is going to offer 500hp for anywhere near that price.
  • Options
    Are hybrids healthy for drivers?

There is a legitimate scientific reason for raising the issue. The flow of electrical current to the motor that moves a hybrid vehicle at low speeds (and assists the gasoline engine on the highway) produces magnetic fields, which some studies have associated with serious health matters, including a possible risk of leukemia among children.

With the batteries and power cables in hybrids often placed close to the driver and passengers, some exposure to electromagnetic fields is unavoidable. Moreover, the exposure will be prolonged — unlike, say, using a hair dryer or electric shaver — for drivers who spend hours each day at the wheel.

Some hybrid owners have actually tested their cars for electromagnetic fields using hand-held meters, and a few say they are alarmed by the results.

Their concern is not without merit; agencies including the National Institutes of Health and the National Cancer Institute acknowledge the potential hazards of long-term exposure to a strong electromagnetic field, or E.M.F., and have done studies on the association of cancer risks with living near high-voltage utility lines.

NY TIMES
  • Options
    Good post.

The size of cars that audi make are perfect in all the class its not to big or small just perfect. except the Q7 is just very very big I never understood why cayenne , x5 buyer considers the Q7 its a lot bigger than the other 2. :confuse:
  • Options
    Traditionally, Audis have been very nose heavy because of their FWD architecture and engines forward of the front axle, which made them understeer badly and have limited steering feedback

Ok i never knew this.

The new A4, A5, and Q5 are based on Audi's new "MLP" architecture, which pushes the engine backward into a more "front-mid" layout similar to the RWD competition for better balance and handling. They are much better than Audis of old, but still not quite at the level of a 3 series.

So bmws are still better but new audis are getting better.

It will be interesting to see the new A6 E class and 5series all will have big improvements

Thanks.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    As I have been thinking of a hy-bred, along comes this article.....wouldn`t you think that they would address potential problem?? Further, do you think it is that strong a field?? I am a skeptic on this subject, as this could be a ploy to scare people away from a gas saving car or truck--- Tony
  • Options
    LOL, at the least it would be $75K, because the current S6 with 435hp starts at $72K.

I'm hoping the 3.0S has more than 290hp, and they wring it out like they will for the S4. They may as well dump the A4 3.2 and S6 from the lineup, because those are the two cars that are holding their respective families back: if the S6 wasn't there, the A6 (both engines) could be more class-competitive and still leave lots of room for the hyper RS6. If the A4 3.2 wasn't there, nobody would notice and it wouldn't be missed; the new 2.0T has more torque, the S4 will have more power and better handling, and the 3.0TDI will not only be quicker but it will also get about twice the mileage.

• Options
    Does most cars speedometer have readings of 4 to 5 mph high!!!