Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition (4.7L Power Tech V8). About 2 months ago I started having a problem.

I went to start my vehicle and nothing happened. It was like there was no power. No lights on the dash, no lights on the cd player, and I could hear a clicking noise. However I know the vehicle did have some power going through because I could hear the CD changer resetting.

After taking the key out and trying again it started. However immediatley after starting the vehicle died out. It did this another 10 or so times. I then started it and gave it some gas to keep it going, this worked and I was able to put it into drive.

Once it was in drive everytime I took my foot off the gas and attempted to stop/slowdown the RPM would drop to almost zero, then it would stall out.

Once I start it back up again, the RPM goes up and down a lot, and then it will eventually stall out again.

I took it to the garage and they replaced something to do with the throttle (I don't know the exact part) and they have replaced the MAP sensor.

Everything was working good until today, when I went to start it. First it did the same thing. At first no power, and a clicking noise. Then everything kicked on and it started.

Of course as soon as it started it immediately stalled out. Again it did this for another 5-6 times until I kept my foot on the gas and put it in drive. Again still when ever I take my foot off the gas or apply the breaks, the RPM drops to about 100-200, and then after a few moments it will die out.

After it runs for a few minutes in drive, if I shut it off and start it again, it will stay started, but the RPM will flucuate between 100-400, and then eventually stall out.

My garage doesn't seem to have any idea what could be causing this. And I don't want to keep dropping money into new parts that may or may not fix the issue. Any ideas what this could be?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    how are the battery conections also how old is the battery if more than year or two old change that first cheap to replace and will take care of prob 75 per cent of time
  • When I start the engine it starts at high rpm's then settles down. When I am driving and come to a stop, it tries to lurch and goes into high rpm's. At times it seems that the gas pedal is stuck. I press it to kick the rpm's down. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Cruise control - while engaged, the rpm's go up and down continuously.

Any suggestions? :sick:
    how many miles
    sounds as is your tps (throttle posising sencer) is dirty or bad
  • I have been having problems with my 2003 jeep cherokee, when I start i the engine idles to approx 2000rmps and stays there for 10 seconds. When i am driving the rpms are jumping up and the vehicle :confuse: jerks . I need to pull over and shut it off, then it works fine. also when I am coming to stop the rpms stay high and the front end vibrates. some days it runs fine but most days it does not. the check engine light has turned on ,but turns off once I turn the vehicle off and on. I took it to mechanic , he tuned it and adjusted some valve. it worked fine for couple of hrs. when they check the computer for the messages, it showed two oxygen sensors defective , they were replaced , it worked fine for one day. I am still having the same problem. any help for feedback would be appreciated. I have already spent to much money on these repairs. thanks .
  • This wasn't my post. I have the 2004 4.7L H.O. with the idle problem. See my post.
    Thanks. What do you think?
    goldenbetty
    still think you have bad tps

the tps tells the computer where the throttle plate is if it says that it is not all the way closed at idel the computer thinks that you are pushing on the gas tells injectors to inject more gas air mixture gets high with unbernt gas senced by oxy sencer tell computer to not inject as much gas tps sends reading that plates are open when they are if fact closed cycle starts all over
  • When it stalls I can tap on the left most connector on the computer module (facing fire wall) and it will start and run fine. The computer module is less than a year old. Is there something I can do short of replacing the module?
    deconect the battery
    unplug the wires that plug in to computer and plug in unplug couple times see if that dont fix prob

could be dirty contacts unplugin and plugin in scrapes the contacts clean
  • 1997 Grand Cherokee. 4.0L Runs great but when it is cold it takes 5 to 7 sec to turn over. Any subsequence starts are normal.
  • I have a '93 GC that takes a very long time to start in cool and cold weather. I usually need to crank it at least once before it will start normally in warm weather or after it has been running. Once started it runs fine. Sometimes while sitting at a light, it will falter or idle will drop slightly. After running for extended period at high speeds then shut off (like when getting gas) it will idle at around 100 RPM for about thirty seconds before dropping back to a normal level.
    I have replaced the fuel & air filters and done complete tuneup (cap, rotor, plugs, wires)
    I'm not usre if these problems are related or separate issues. My main issue is the starting problem.
    Any good suggestions? :sick: :confuse:
  • Sounds similar to my problem. There are a few things I've found that will cause your problem (and mine). There is an auto disconnect relay that, when open, removes power to the injectors, fuel pump, etc. I've been working my way through the drawings to see what all is effected. Problem is, I haven't been able to find a good description of what inputs to the computer will cause the ADR to open. I'm getting ready to replace the temp sensor to see if that is where my problem is.
  • For what it's worth, tapping on the connector works, but there seems to be something going on with the auto door lock on drivers side, it sticks and now I get a static shock when I get out of the car. This use to happen months ago, but quit, Now I am not sure if it's the connector (now clean and taped to the board) or if discharging to ground changes the state of the solid state circuits in the computer. I think the intermittent shock and door lock problem are related to the connector, mean time I discharge the static charge with my key before I touch anything.....keeps me on my toes..
  • my problem was three wire connections in the wiring harness to the computer. pull back the black plastic and wiggle the wires when warmed up and running. youll see three spliced connections. if it dies then theres your problem. i just wirnutted them. there also a small guage ground wire coming of the neg. battery terminal. thats the ground to the computer. the connection a foot back can become a problem also. good luck, the adr relay is interchangable with a few other fuses.let me know what you find out
  • ralkaralka Posts: 72
    I have 2 jgc's one is a 97 4.oL the other is a 96 5.2L . as odd as it is they both have developed the same problem. the 96 will bigin to buck or jolt once or twice when under a slight load at appx 1500rpm's also has a surge at idle. the 97 has the same symptoms if anyone has any ideas i would sure like to hear them
    clean throtal body change tps as prob has bad spot in variable resistor (when you are driving the throttle sits in same spot foe long periods of time (around 1500 2000 rpm) gets worn in that area)
  • I have a 1999 Grand Jeep Cherokee. When I start it starts but does not stay on.What is going on?
    sounds as if key sencer is not working right try your other key
  • I had this same problem with mine. Try resetting your alarm system. If it has been triggered, you will be able to start the engine but it will only run for a few seconds.
  • daphendaphen Posts: 2
    when the car stalls or will not start, open the hood and find the brain box... pass side on firewall push/wiggle the middle wiring knuckle then try to start it. I removed mine, cleaned the contacts, pinched the contacts together and put on some electrical jellly. I did this 3 weeks ago and have only stalled once since. Once you get this connection tight enough the CE light will go off too (did with mine).
    It is simply a faulty wiring knuckle but getting Jeep to fes up to it and turn it into a recall will be the fun part....hope this helps
    Missy
  • daphendaphen Posts: 2
    get someone to REMOVE the alarm system....will only take about 1 hour tops
    we have 3 jeeps and have removed them from all 3 (just in case)
  • 99 JGC with 150K miles, has stall problems when starting in cold weather. We live in southern MD and the weather is turning cold. When starting it stalls. Had a warm spell a couple of weeks ago and no problems. Repeated attempts to start will stall if gas pedal is not applied. After running the engine for approx 5 min, it will start and stay running. In the morning, car is in the garage and it starts first time and stays running. In the afternoon, after car has been out all day the problem occurs. Have taken it to the local mechanic we have used for 10 years and he can't find anything wrong, It did happen for him but no codes showed up. any suggestions?
  • After bringing my Jeep to the local dealership I was told the reason why no error code displayed (when stalling) was because the computer was defective. They told me I needed a new computer ($1,100) to then diagnose the problem. So even with a new compter I would still have the problem...I said adios.... Anyway.. since I stopped using the A/C the problem has not returned. Running two months clean since I stopped using A/C. If you are having intermittent stalling problems and using the A/C... stop using it and see if the problem goes away.
  • Had a similar problem. Replaced the battery, problem went away. Very common problem with JGC. Have your mechanic check the battery.

Dave
  • I thinks that's a bit of overkill. It's like removing your brain to avoid headaches. :surprise:
  • I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this odd situation. Yesterday when I went to start my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee I got nothing. No gauges energized up or anything. When I turned the key backwards to Aux power, the radio was very very dim and pulsated but would not turn on. I pulled the terminals from the battery and cleaned them just to rule this out. Well the car started right up after reconnecting the battery. I immediately turned the car off to try and restart again to make sure everything was fine but there it was again. All gauges dead and no response at all trying to start.
    Here is where it gets weird. I was turning the key to start and let it come back to run position a few times then all of a sudden on like the 4th try, the dash board lit up and the vehicle started fine. Needless to say this leaves a very bad feeling when driving out far from home especially since the wife uses this vehicle too.

This morning, I go out to start it and again no power but this time, all the guages(exept the Tach and Speedo) were pulsing up and down. This is with no key in or anything. They were going by themselves. I went to the battery and was getting a variable reading of between 6-8 volts. (pulsing like the gauges). I unhooked the battery and reconnected and everything powers up again fine and the battery is now reading normal at 12.5 volts.

Before unhooking the battery this last time I was pulling fuses and relays to try and isolate a possible short and got the pulsing to stop on the gauges when fuse Skim/Hood Lmp or Overhead RRwipe was pulled. Not sure if related but it did make the gauges stop bouncing. No relays being pulled stopped it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to get trapped out somewhere with this thing dead. This may be the obivous and just be a bad battery(bought 1.5 years ago but you never know.) going to have it tested later today.

Again the main thing that stands out is when I unhook the battery then reconnect, it seems to correct itself and power up fine (and even odder, it goes from reading variable 6-8 volts to 12.5 after the disconnect reconnect)
  • My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee is experiencing the same problem of stalling. Sometimes I can't start in the morning, stalls in the middle of the road, but after a few minutes of waiting it will start again. I have replaced the fuel pump (there is no fuel filter for 1997-99 outside), crank position sensor replaced spark plugs, clean the ignition system. I read in this forum about the battery,(sometimes it reads 6-8 volts but once started goes back to 12-13. There is no check engine codes. Any other suggestion?
    how old is the battery if older than year or two change that first as jeeps dont like voltage varences that well battery is only 75 85 bucks at wall mart then see if prob goes away
  • ike21ike21 Posts: 14
    Once again. 90% of the time it's the Throttle Position Sensor. $30 at parts store and 5 minutes to change. If it's not the TPS it's going to be the Idle Air control Sensor, about same price and little longer to change because of placement. I fix Jeeps everyday all day.
  • I had a problem with my 1999 Grand Cherokee stalling. A new crankshaft position sensor solved the problem. When installed it started with no problem. It is located on top of the bell housing, awkward to get to but if you remove it there may be oil deposits on the end stopping the signal passing through.