Options

Ford Escape

Comments

• Options
    k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    I asked about the delays @ my dealership. My salesman explained that "ordered" cars are given priority due to the fact that they are actually considered "sold vehicles " as opposed to stock fillers. Do I need a shovel or does this sound legit! LOL
    Also, since I ordered my XLT/4WD on Jan. 15, does that mean my car will come with the new gasket & manifold?
    You appear to be one of the more knowledgeable people on these 2 BB's @ Edmunds. Do you work for FORD? LOL
    k9cop1
  • Options
    mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone experienced a situation where a Ford dealer would NOT accept a 'X' plan order (as apart of the EAA benefit)?

If so please post a reply.

Thanks.
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    X Plan is a special Ford Corporate Marketing promotion where Ford Sells The Truck for the fixed price listed on the original corporate invoice delivered from Ford. Dealers as independent businesses may accept or reject any plan. Ford pays them a fee to handle the transaction. Whenever you contact a dealer ONLY speak with the Fleet Sales Manager or the dealer's titled equivalent. He/She Is Your Only Sales Contact! Do Not discuss X Plan with the retail sales personnel because it is not part of their commission sales business and you can get misinformation from them. Follow this advice to sidestep possible problems!
  • Options
    bvstpaulbvstpaul Member Posts: 2
    I have received a build date of the week of Feb. 26th and am interested in some feedback by those with the 2.0 4cyl engine. It seems that everyone on the various message boards opted for the 3.0. Thanks!
  • Options
    tiredowaitintiredowaitin Member Posts: 1
    tried tracing my escape with last 8 numbers of vin,but was not found. vehicle was sent to ramp &loaded as of feb. 16. anyone have any help

any info on blue oval?
  • Options
    karma_pupkarma_pup Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone who gave me information Ford's x-plan through eaa.org - especially 1jimv1 who answered my last question directly. I signed up and got my PIN this week - it really was as easy as everyone says. I didn't even have to conceal the fact that my main reason for joining was the X-Plan - they were happy to have my membership regardless of the reason why.

Anyway, I contacted Ford for more information about the expiration of my PIN, and the rumored removal of the Escape from the program. I asked if I would be "grandfathered in", if the Escape is removed from the program before I buy it but after I got the PIN. Here is the response I received (within three hours after my inquiry, no less):

"Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company on 02/23/01. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us regarding the Partner Recognition
    Program. We value your interest in our Program.

The PIN is valid for a year from the time it has been generated.

In regards to the Escape, currently there are no plans to exclude this vehicle from the Program; consequently, a policy to 'grandfather' the
    PIN has not been established. Ford does, however, reserve the right to review the list of eligible vehicles. "

So they could still yank it, but they say they aren't planning to. I guess if they do I'll just have to buy a Jaguar. (ha ha)

Thanks again for all the posts - you all have been most helpful.
  • Options
    slkrickslkrick Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the interior room (from actually sitting in one, not just from Ford's specs). My wife really likes the way they look, but she will be transporting our two small children around and I want to make sure there is enough space for her, the kids, and strollers, diaper bags, toys etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    yosemite1yosemite1 Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my Escape on January 21. Before I ordered one I test drove it 3 times. I am a pretty big guy and I thought the passenger areas front and back were more than generous and quite comfortable. As for the cargo area, If your wife is hauling around 2 kids and a stroller and diapers and toys and.... etc she will have more than enough room to add the groceries! The glass on the rear window opens so she should be able to close the hatch and cram even more stuff in!
    I Suggest you call around to a few dealers and find one that you can test drive. Take the wife, kids and all your stuff along and load it in the Escape. The salesman should be more than happy to let you do this, I do it for every car I buy! Good Luck!
  • Options
    seb_1774seb_1774 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Eastern PA and my local Ford dealer was very willing to provide the x-plan discount for the purchase or lease of the escape. Unfortunately the mazda dealers in the area (of which Mazda was included on my companies x-plan agreement) would not honor the plan for the tribute which increases the price for purchase or lease alot.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    In yesterdays paper that was quoted from Automotive news. Ford is going to try a special edition Escape. Includes a new style rack to hold skiis, bikes or snowboards, 16" aluminum wheels, all terrain tires, and privacy glass. The Escape is not taking sales away from the Explorer/Mounaineer. Through December, Ford sold 42,635 Escapes. "Sales are cranking" Says Stu Smith (an exec). "We have well over 100,000 dealer orders". So you may be waiting awhile for your Escape...
  • Options
    trixr4u2trixr4u2 Member Posts: 6
    One of the local Ford dealers has EXACTLY the Escape I want...almost. It doesn't have the moonroof, but since I am not interested in the leather package, I am having a hard time locating the configuration I want. The dealer says he can put the moonroof in for me. My question to you all is, do I have them put an aftermarket one in, or order and get what I want (but possibly wait 3-4 months, which I don't really want to do!)?

Are there risks in putting an aftermarket moonroof in? Will it be the same as one that would have been put on it originally? Anyone ever had problems with an aftermarket moonroof? Will it still be warranteed with the vehicle?

Any answers you guys have will be most helpful! You already have been a blessing!
  • Options
    nunya3nunya3 Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT A NEW ONE,HAD IT 6 DAYS HAD TO PUT IT IN THE SHOP BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT GIVE YOU THE KEY BACK,THEY HAD TO CHANGE OUT THE COMPLEAT IGINATION SYSTEM IN THE STEERING COLUM. IT TOOK 10 DAYS, WENT TO PICK IT UP IT STILL WAS NOT RIGHT, THEY HAD TO FIX THE LINKAGE, THAT TOOK TWO HOURS, I HOPE ITS OK NOW!!
  • Options
    farmertullfarmertull Member Posts: 14
    I drove the 6 and was surprised at how loud the engine was under acceleration.Not possible to have conversation. I was impressed with the ride and interior. I want power but I want mileage. What will the power be like witht he new 2.3? When is it coming? I found a link to Ford new ideas that talks of the new generation of high tech engines which includes a direct injected diesels. http://www.media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=6445 I have driven a jetta diesel and wonder why america doesnt catch up with the new generation of high tech FAST diesels that Europe has. I do not think many people fully understatnd the advantage of diesel engines ..torque, mileage, longivity..with new computerized direct injected, intercooled, turbocharged....Ford Escape with Direct Injected Diesel>perfect vehicle for me. The problems with NO2's and particulates are being addressed. Also if you are getting 30% more miles per gallon the total pollutants are reduced. The epa is not taking that fact into bearing. Now we have biodiesel made of soybeans that I grow as a farmer and it helps cut dependence on foreign oil. By the way...buy ethanol whenever possible the farm crisis is real. The farmers of this country are being destroyed by low commodity prices and corporate farms that have little love for the land but high greed.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Thank the Sierra club and other enviromentalists.
  • Options
    gr8suvgr8suv Member Posts: 1
    Went to a Ford dealer who said he would honor another dealer's agreement on price = invoice + $700. Since he did not have an Escape I wanted available, I gave him a choice of three colors so he would locate me one with the equipment I wanted. Left a deposit, or they would not do the locate. They found a car, but with more equipment than I request. It had leather $800+ and the Mach 7 stereo, a $587 item bringing the total price to over $1300 more than I wanted to pay. However, if it was at invoice and residualized, I figured the monthly differential would not be too bad.

Told them I would come down to look at it and have the numbers ready so I could compare lease versus purchase. However, when I came in I was very disappointed. They told me they only do leases on MSRP. So instead of a lease in the $300s, the vehicle would cost $464.83/om. I insisted that cap cost was to be used and not MSRP. Was told that the person handling financing is only there during the day, and no one else would redo the numbers. I asked for my money back. Told the sales person that if I got my check back, we would start fresh the next day on the vehicle they had located, but only if the agreed price was used. The sales person said fine and tried to get me my check. The night manager refused to give me the check. Told me in his most loud and intimidating voice, I had no right to it. Unfortunately, I had to cause a loud scene. Since the agreement was not written against a specific vehicle IN number, they had no contract for purchase, because I had not agreed to purchase anything. Further, under NY law, if the financing does not come out to your satisfaction, the contract is also void. The manager told me he didn't give a damn and would not give me my check back. Well, since they had not deposited the check, I was going to stop payment anyway. Where the sales person had the chance to still make the deal, the big-mouth manager blew it. Later that night the salesman called that he did indeed get my check for me.

That same night, I went to the original dealer who told me $700 over invoice. He had two cars on the lot equipped just the way I wanted. No expensive stereo. Told me I was better off taking what was on the lot because there was a huge back order of Escapes and he could not guarantee when one would come in. Checked the manifest just in case there was one that had been canceled. I asked him to run the numbers which he did on the spot. Rather than just going through Ford financing, he used a program that found the lowest interest rate and best program. Sat me down and let me watch him enter the numbers and ask questions. The lease was going to cost me $381.83/ om. I was very pleased but told him I would call him in the morning. I bought one. When I picked it up, he had run the lease numbers again, and due to a minor interest adjust I was going to save a penny per month. A penny saved is a penny earned. I do not drive any long distance, but for my short commute the Escape is just right. I can't wait for snow!

Motto: Buyer Beware and Know Your Legal Rights
  • Options
    keyskennedykeyskennedy Member Posts: 2
    I love my Escape... good mileage... no fuel smells... good fit and finish but am on my second driver's side head head lamp.. lens... they collect moisture. Anyone else have that problem?
  • Options
    napmcbnapmcb Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me the details of this program? From what I can tell from the eaa.org website, I can join that organization for $40 and then wait a few days for my PIN number to be mailed to me. Once I get that, what happens? Do I have to be employed by a "member" company, or is EAA membership the only thing I need? What kind of price will be given on an Escape - invoice? something else?

I realize these questions have probably been asked/answered before, but I was unable to find the answers after 20 minutes of searching old messages. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    saynerkensaynerken Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anyone knows when the 2002 Escapes will come out?
    Since I'll be ordering mine it almost seems worth the wait considering all the delays with the 2001 Escapes.
    Also does anyone know where I could find out about any changes in colors or options when 2002 Escapes do arrive. Thanks
  • Options
    I too was an X Plan newbie once! :) But, as of last night, I am the proud owner of an Escape XLT V6. And I used the X Plan to buy it!

Here's how I did it:

1) Joined EAA online at www.eaa.org using the info given in posts 171, 172, 210, 255, 260, 261, 263, 264, as well as posted info on the Yahoo Ford Escape Club sites.
    2) Received EAA membership number via email the next day
    3) Logged back on to eaa.org; went to Members Only section
    4) Obtained PIN online
    5) Took membership number and PIN with me to the dealer
    6) Bought my Escape on the X Plan at approximately $200 UNDER invoice. Being a member of EAA was the only thing I needed to get the vehicle on the X Plan.

I am very pleased with this way of buying...no haggling, no struggles! It truly WAS the best way for a young woman like myself to buy a vehicle!

BEAUCOUP (aka many) THANKS to everyone here that provided the details of the X Plan, counseled me, and advised me of what is (so far) the biggest purchase of my life!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi folks, I just wanted to tell you of my experience this week when I rented a '01 Ford Escape XLT V-6. My sister was thinking of buying one so I thought I would rent one to see how they were while I was on business in Florida. Since I have a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was curious too.

The vehicle had 4,700 miles and I drove 120 miles.

Pros-- 1) Very adequate pick-up from the V-6
    2) Nice styling
    3) Decent storage for a small vehicle
    4) Fantastic air conditioning
    5) Nice adjustable rear seat backs

Cons-- 1) Driver door squeaked when accelerating
    and braking.
    2) Rear hatch constantly squeaked
    3) sun visors made very cheaply (thin)
    4) no extensions on the sun visors
    5) car died out while driving
    6) the vehicle seems "tinny"
    7) hard to adjust tilt steering wheel

For the price, maybe it's a good deal. But, in my opinion, I think I would go for a year old Explorer. The Escape seemed so much smaller when sitting in the drivers seat. I guess I'm use to my Jeep having a larger front end and dashboard.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    cugolfncugolfn Member Posts: 28
    My obsession for my Escape pushed me to my Ford Dealer today. My salesman went in and checked and found that I have a build date of 3/12/01. He said the vehicle is expected to arrive at the end of March or Early April! Should I believe the salesman or will it take longer to get? I live in Wisconsin which is not that far from KC.
    For those of you wondering, I ordered my Escape on January 20th (Got confirmation from Ford on January 24th).

I can't wait!!
  • Options
    leesanickleesanick Member Posts: 3
    I will be purchasing a new Escape (hopefully) in the near future using the X-Plan, but I've always heard that the "invoice" price on the window sticker is actually higher than what the dealer had to pay for the vehicle. Does anyone know whether this is true, and if so, how to find out the actual amount the dealer paid for a vehicle?
  • Options
    I ordered my 4WD XLT on Jan.14 (NFC championship game "Go Giants").My salesman called me 2 weeks ago & gave me my "vin". I asked if it came with a build date & he said no! I said whats the point! LOL! Still waiting!
    My only concern is that the price on my trade - in stays "firm".
    I'm in New York. Good Luck
  • Options
    ammersammers Member Posts: 1
    I was an owner of a 2001 ford escape. I had bought it back in October before the whole escape craze started. I loved it, and I was very lucky to have it. it was exactally what I wanted and everything. it was the chrome yellow color, and fully loaded. it was my first car to ever buy on my own and it ment so much to me. well I wrecked it. actually the person that hit me did. no one was hurt and I was surprized to see it hold up so well. the only problem is the direction she hit me in totalled the car. but there is an upside to the whole situation, im getting another ford escape because i loved the first one so much. i guess you could say it was so good the first time around, im ready for seconds. i wouldnt trade that car in for anything.
  • Options
    First of all, we need to clear up some confusion of definitions of terms.

MSRP (aka "sticker price") and "invoice price" are NOT one and the same. MSRP is what you see on the sticker in the window of a new vehicle. The invoice price - the price the dealer paid for the vehicle - most buyers never see. And the dealer doesn't want you to see it. That's how they make their money.

But as a smart buyer, all you have to do is ask to see the invoice...especially if you are an X Plan buyer. Most dealers will show it to you. If they won't, don't buy the vehicle. You can also do the research on your own. Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) as well as Edmunds will give you both MSRP and invoice. The numbers I pulled matched exactly with the dealer's numbers.

Of course, the dealer still makes some money on the vehicle (getting 3% or something like that) ...but who can blame them? That's the line of business they are in! To make money!
  • Options
    I already ordered my escape at about $700 over invoice. For this area it is a pretty good deal. Then I find out about the PLAN! Has anyone re-negotiated for the -Plan after buying the vehicle?

Let me now SAP - They start building mine on the 12th!
  • Options
    rhondanrhondan Member Posts: 1
    I just joined eaa in order to be able to get the X plan pricing. Suddenly, a couple of questions hit me. The price of the car is set (no haggle), but what about the "extras" that dealers are notorious for adding at the end? For example, destination charges, protective coating, etc. Also, are they going to play games with the financing % and or a trade in? Do I mention my trade in immediately or wait until everything else is established? I'm about to buy an Escape and I have an Explorer I will be trading in. Unfortunately, I'm going to owe milage charges and I'm not sure how all of this will work with the X Plan.
  • Options
    (yosenite1) Yes several Posters reported offering X Plan PIN after ordering at above invoice prices and were pleased that the dealer readilly accepted. No one reported a dealer refusing. But the dealer can refuse. Be sure to talk first with the Fleet sales manager or the dealer's equivalent title when you have the PIN since he/she will handle X Plan and that will help.

(rhondan) read post #372. X Plan only buys the vehicle. You pay 4% above the A Plan price shown on Ford's Original Corporate Invoice which they must show you. You pay Ford's additional charges Advertising fee, Destination, Fuel, also shown on this invoice. Ford pays the dealer a fee to handle the deal so no additional dealer charges are allowed. Any other negotiations: financing, trade-in,extended warranty etc are handled independent of X Plan. Just remember your sales contact is the Fleet sales manager.
  • Options
    The 2.3 liter 4cyl engine is expected to be available in Ranger trucks in MARCH 2001 according to Ford's inline engine program manager Joe Pratt. An earlier introduction was delayed to improve block stiffness and head clamping pressure because of concern over vibration, noise, and harshness. This engine is tuned for 130 hp and 130 lb-ft torque. If you want to try out the performance of this engine with a manual transmission, test drive the Ranger 2.3 truck this month. It should give you a pretty good feel of how the 2.3 liter Escape will perform since the vehicle weights are similar. This engine will be the base engine with M/T in the 2002 Escape/Tribute. See www.blueovalnews.com Feature Report 2/19/01 "Ford Inline to have a Winning Array of Small Engines" by Chris Paukert.
  • Options
    WOW !!
    That was way too easy!
    Here is some background. I ordered my Escape on 1/24/01 and negotiated what I felt was a pretty good deal. Then I came on line and found out about the X-PLan. Even though I had already negotiated a price I thouht I would give it a try. I got my EAA membership ($50.00 for the Family) which I will use (I only live about 1.5 hours from Oshkosh!). I applied on Thursday (10 minutes), got my membership # on Friday. I got my PIN from FORD (5 Minutes) on the EAA Web site (www.eaa.org). I called the sales manager Friday afternoon (about 5 minutes ago) and explained that I was eligable for the X-Plan. "Thats Great" he said "Just bring your PIN along when you pick up your Escape and we will give you the X-PLan Price!" He was very upbeat and even made me feel like he was happy for me! Total time to save about $500.00....26 hours
  • Options
    rascal2001rascal2001 Member Posts: 2
    To all, I really considered all suv's and decided on the escape. No delaer wanted to reduce this vehicle. So I logged on stonage.com and was contacted by a ford dealer. This ford dealer beat ubs price that i was given. I paid 50.00 over invoice. I just ordered a escape feb 28th and was told it will be in withoin 6 weeks. the dealer told me to call them on 3-9th for a exact date. There was no haggling at all, no suprises. They referred to my order as a internet sale.

good luck

gary
  • Options
    spainspain Member Posts: 14
    One week ago today I purchased a loaded Escape XLT with the V6 for my wife. We both like the look, feel, and ride of this vehicle. We needed an SUV but she didnt want a huge land boat! Last night when we got home from work, we got back in the Escape to go to dinner. We noticed a very distinct fule odor for about 5 minutes. It disappated but it concerns me. I am calling the dealership first thing this morning.

I will keep you updated on the way the dealer handles this situation. My wife is pregnant and I dont want her smelling gas fumes!! I specifically asked my dealer prior to the purchase if the fuel smell problems had been rectified and he of course said yes. Although I think I got a good deal and like my sales person, I will not abide this fuel smell problem!
  • Options
    mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I mentioned the X Plan to my local Ford dealer. He replied that for X Plan purchases, you must order out and could not purchase 'off the lot'.

Is that true?

Has anyone else used the X Plan to purchase a vehicle onsite?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Mike: That is true for that dealer and for many others when Escapes on the lot are scarce. The manufacturer's plan sales are Voluntary for the independent dealers. Some dealers have sold off the lot. When you contact any dealer your only sales contact should be the Fleet sales manager or the dealer's equivalent title. See Post 172 and others on this Ford Escape II to understand X Plan buying.
  • Options
    spainspain Member Posts: 14
    I purchased my XLT on the X plan. They told me that i would have to order it and it would be 3 to 5 months. They called me the next morning and said that I could have the 1 Escape XLT that they had on the lot. It was exactly like the one I ordered except didnt have privacy glass or the 16" wheels. I took it. he said they could sell me that one on the X plan since i was from this area and Ford would have to send them some more sooner if they were completely out.
  • Options
    leesanickleesanick Member Posts: 3
    I've really been researching this whole X-Plan thing, and I'm pretty sure it's what I want to do. I'm wondering, since dealers are having to order Escapes, if it's possible to haggle some with the dealer holdback. Is that something I should or should not do? I want to be totally prepared for this "first-time-buyer" experience, and I want to feel good about it. I know that you can still participate in dealer incentives with the X-Plan, but I didn't know if discussing dealer holdbacks would be taboo or not...any suggestions are welcome.
  • Options
    I guess it all boils down to what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. The dealer hold back on a loaded XLT Escape is about $750.00.
    In my area Escapes are going for about sticker so when I was able to deal down to about $600.00 over invoice I was very tickled with myself. When I was able to use the X.-plan and change that to about $100.00 UNDER Invoice I was comatose!

I guess what I am saying is that the dealer is in business to make money. How much you feel happy giving him is what it's all about.
  • Options
    panfanpanfan Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Appreciate all the messages on the X-plan, I was debating bewtween several of these small SUV's and found the Tribute, Escape and Rodeo that
    fit my needs. Perhaps someone can help me with the following questions on the X-Plan:
    1) When you go see the Fleet manager. Do you give him a deposit for the vehicle, and how much??
    2) Can you still use the financing from Ford?? We are not rich and need to finance for 60 months and
    credit is good.
    3) Does their financing try to "stick it to you"?Since you are getting a great deal on invoice-I am
    leery that they may try get you on the other end.
    4) Sales tax??? Normally you pay sales tax on full MSRP. Since you are buying directly--are you paying sales tax on dealer invoice or what they would normally sell it for??
    5) What is the percentage of the suggested MSRP that you save using X-plan...For example--if vehicle MSRP is 23K is dealer invoice abt 21K?
    I hope they will still accept the orders if I join the web site that was listed in #172. Thank
    you!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I will help the best I Can..

1) A deposit is usually just good faith money. My dealer wanted $1000.00. I offered $100.00 and he said fine.

2) X-Plan customers are entitled to all other incentive that are currently being offered so you should be able to get the 7.9% that ford is offering if you take delivery before 4/2/01

3) See #2

4) I can only speak for Wisconsin. In Wisconsin you pay tax on the purchase price, not the MSRP

5) The X.-plan is the A-Plan + 4%. I am not sure what the A-Plan is but I know the end result is that you pay about $100.00 under invoice, Plus Tax and Destination. If you would like to know what invoice is just do a price report here on Edmunds.

Hope I Helped

Tony
  • Options
    panfanpanfan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Tony--couple of things that arose...I,m just getting started--haven,t even gone to EAA yet. Obviously--I won,t get delivery before 4/2.
    Do you figure out payments etc. when you order vehicle--or is that done when vehicle arrives??
    I saw someone else said they ordered a Mazda Tribute(210) Has anyone had success with Mazda other than this one that you know of.. They wouldn,t even talk 5 cents off retail sticker price when I went to local dealers. Has anyone heard of this program being stopped through EAA.
    Thanks all for any help . Forgive me for being leery and/or nervous--usually when something is to good to be true--it's not.
  • Options
    I stand corrected on the ford APR. 7.9% is for 24 & 36 months. It is 8.9% for 48 month. I do not know what they are offering for 60 month. Check with peoplefirst.com They have some fairly decent rates if you have good credit.
  • Options
    msdfyedmsdfyed Member Posts: 15
    I was at the dealer this Thursday and left a $500 deposit So I could get my new Yellow XLS. The dealer was going to call around to see if he could find a yellow one but NO LUCK. He called me today and said mine would be built In KY and should arrive in less than 8 weeks. Should I expect to wait longer? Also If the car was officially being built wouldnt I have a VIN right away?
  • Options
    I ordered my 4WD/XLT on Jan 14. I received my "vin" 2 weeks ago. I asked my salesman then if that meant my car was being built. He said "no". I then asked "Whats the point of giving me this number then"? He said "I just wanted to keep you updated".
    Still waiting (with my "vin")! LOL
    P.S.
    On a more serious side, you should never leave money with a dealer unless you have a firm contract in front of you, either for a vehicle on the lot or one that is factory ordered. What if another dealer has YOUR car? Try getting that $500.00 back ASAP.
  • Options
    loaderloader Member Posts: 2
    I was told by my salesman that my fully loaded Yellow XLT should arrive here the 1st week of April. Today, I was pre-approved by Peoplefirst.com for a $20,000 loan at 7.34% which is about 1.65% below what Ford is charging. My question is, do these on-line lenders charge any kind of fees besides what they make from the interest of the loan? I've always gotten loans from the car dealers and not quite sure what to expect. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If anyone is in the vacinity of Landers Ford, down here in Jacksonville AR, there sellin em for $300 over invoice. Then if you go to their website you can download a coupon for an additional $100 off. $200 over invoice sounds pretty darn good to me.

P.S. A few hours after applying online, Peoplefirst.com called me at work and said my loan was approved at 8.49%. I told them no thanks, because Eloan.com approved me at 7.35%. He turned around and said OK, we'll do 7.34%. I said go ahead and send me the paperwork.
  • Options
    Bode13Bode13 Member Posts: 19
    .....if Ford/Mazda will be shortening the auto tranny shift lever for the 2002 M.Y. run? or 2003 or 2002 1/2 or whatever??

I sat in one at the Minnapolis/St.Paul Auto Show earlier this week, and there were only a couple fo things I didn't like about it. One being the lack of independent head rests in the leather seats, and the other being the ridiculous length of the auto tranny shifter. The Explorer (and in fact I think almost all other Ford trucks) have the little stubby one that doesn't interfere with radio or HVAC controls.

Anyone have a crystal ball. I'd still buy a 2001 with the long shift lever, but would prefer to wait until the June rollover to 2002 production IF that part will be addressed.
  • Options
    ptmccainptmccain Member Posts: 86
    Anyone who actually bothers to check the "recalls" on the Escape that they actually impact only a very few vehicles. And, not everyone has "fuel smell" problems, again, only a few.

In a new model year, there will be bugs.

Best to do your research and not listen to morons like "Rsharp" who like to pop in here and post stupid comments/
  • Options
    rrtkerrtke Member Posts: 11
    I know this is Ford Escape discussion topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows about a program similar to the X plan for GM and Chrysler vehicles.
  • Options
    wldflr1wldflr1 Member Posts: 3
    WOMEN TAKE NOTE! AND MEN TOO!

Twas the night before picking up my new Escape (March 10) that I had originally ordered back on Dec. 28 and here I was at edmunds.com looking for any last minute incentives at 6pm Friday night. I read all the incredible postings about the Ford X-Plan (see msg.#172 for instance). So I checked out the website for this civil aviation club, www.eaa.org and read up on their member benefits. For a $40 membership fee, it would entitle you to participate as a "Ford Partnership Member" and allow you to qualify for their X-Plan (4% over dealer invoice-WOW).

Time was of the essence since I was supposed to go to the dealership the next morning at 10am. Instead of applying online, which is an option, I called their toll-free number listed on their website, gave the woman my credit card # and she gave me a membership # immediately.

Then I signed back on to www.eaa.org to obtain my PIN number--tricky navigating through their site, but I finally got to the correct page. Typed in some info and it generated a PIN number and I printed out the page that I needed take to the dealership.

Let me tell you my husband thought I was CRAZY! He believed that we were locked in to the price that we agreed upon back in Dec. with the dealership.

So there we were Sat. AM with our saleman, Bob and I told him that something had changed. (Bob had previously asked if I had a Ford employee in our family and I did not.) But I told him that I belonged to an organization that qualified me for the X-Plan and gave him my paper with the printed PIN number on it from the night before.

NO PROBLEM, we just had to re-write up the paperwork. IT SAVED ME OVER $700 right then and there! Add on the savings from taxes and an additional $50 for documentation fees that Ford waived and it came to $890. less than the amount that I agreed to back in Dec. (which was $720 under MSRP).

TOTAL SAVINGS: $1,500.00 under MSRP

My husband was in SHOCK cause I ended up paying only $19,918. for a V-6/auto. Escape. He's very impressed with me now. As a thirty-something woman, I used to dread car shopping....NOT ANY MORE!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known… is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Oops, the editors chat is tonight at 5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern. Apologies for the typo.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards