Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• Hi My father in law has a LTZ crew cab 4x4 and has had the same problem. His battery is getting run down because the fuel pump runs and runs. It has been to the dealer 4 times and they are putting there heads in the sand. They have contacted a lawyer and may have to envoke lemon law. My inlaws hate the fact that they even have to talk with a lawyer but the spent 45k on this truck and he does not know if it will start or not. Next time you run around in it when you shut it off see of you can here pump running. It may be a short in the wiring harness. Yesterday we went down to a fishing hole on a bumpy road and it started doing it. He really wants to keep this truck but it has been a real heartbreak for him. If any one else has any ideas would be greatly apreciated. I am on here to check for them you can email me direct. doubledw@cox.net Thanks
  • Is this code indicate simply replacement of CMP? thanks for help
  • I have had this truck for three weeks. Yesterday I was at the beach fishing and on the way back it would not start. Initially it started, and withing 5 feet it bogged down and would not start after that. The battery is fine, the starter seems to be fine (it keeps cranking but the engine does not start). I got it towed to the dealer and will be finding out more soon. I hope this is not the beginning of a chronic problem. But in case it is, I was hoping you could give me some information on how to recover the cost / or how to approach using the lemon laws to get this thing replaced?
  • Hi,

My brother bought a 2003 Silverado from an American insurance company. It has a couple of dents and scratches but we can fix that. Unfortunately the car arrived in Holland without a catalysator, so my brother bought one from a scrapjard. The only problem is this catalysator is for a 2003 v8, it fits perfectly. But the connectors from the lambda sensors are different. We managed to connect them, but the engine won't start. It turns over for around 3 seconds and then stops.

My questions are:
    Is it possible to use a v8 catalysor on a v6?
    Do we have to change the 4 lambda sensors?
    Is there an other reason why the engine wont start?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help us out!
  • sjors1sjors1 Posts: 2
    It revs!! Apparently recharching the battery was enough!

Only problem now, it's stuck in 'P' and it wil only almost shift to reverse!
  • I have a 2003 Silverado, and in the last year and a half or so it has decided that it randomly won't start. When I turn the key all the lights and gauges, radio etc comes on, but the truck won't start. It does not make any clicking or anything, I have been to the mechanic more times than I care to think about and no one can figure out what is wrong. It happened today twice in less than one hour, and it has never done it more than once in a day, so I went to the mechanic, and of course it started. The starter has been checked, its fine, new battery, cables are tight, relays have been changed, and it keeps happening. I feel like I am loosing my mind over this, and since I never know when its going to happen, it worries me because it may be 5 minutes to an hour or more before it decides to start, and I dont need to be stranded for that long by myself.
    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, because I can't just keep dropping it off with mechanics for days at a time and never finding anything out!!
    THANKS!!!
    ~*~ Sarah ~*~
  • mmoonmmoon Posts: 5
    Just died dead in street. Replaced fuel relay .. it was Ok .. replacd fuel filter It was bad.. Pump checks out fine and pressure of gas is to the box behind the carb? Disconnected the two lines (feed and return) from the fuel tank ..clear and under pressure ? If primed it runs quiet well, but I can't get fuel to the carb? Help
    Had an Ods Aler (GM product) same thin.. replaced the igniton and was told by the dealer if the key is a bit off . the car will think it is a theft and shuts down the fuel system? Never happened again after the relacement? good luck?
  • I have a 2000 silverado and it has a starting problem. It takes me about 3-4 times to start it. It turns over everytime, but wont start until the third or fourth time. It sounds normal when i try and start it, it just wont start. When it does start it takes a second for it to completely start up, like its struggling for fuel. Ive already replaced the battery and fuel filter. It seems like a fuel delivery problem to me, or maybe a sensor is going bad. I have no way to tell that because no check engine light has come on. Any ideas? Thanks
    Just had the dead in the street issue here . got it resolved... changed fuel flter/ still no result /then checked pump /had pressure..came to find out it takes a lot of pressure aout 50# to supply fuel to carb. changed the in-tank pump and screen ans it is now fine ......good luck
  • Thanks, i appreciate the help
  • hey i got the same truck, same problem and have no idea what to do, changed the fuel filter, checked the plugs, changed a bad o2 sensor still got nothing if you have any answers at this point i woould really appreciate it thanks

Jim
  • I am having the same issue. Have you found anything that will help us?

Erik
    We chaned the fuel filter, checked the line for pressue and had pressure to the carb, but did not get a start. Then changed the fuel pump (in tank with the screen also required), and got a start immediately. System requires a high pressre to wok anseven with a working pump we were not gettingenough pressure. A new ful ilter and screen did the trick. AS a preventitive measue we has also at first changed the fuel fuse relay? Pressure at the carb from he pump is the key. Good Luck
    We chaned the fuel filter, checked the line for pressue and had pressure to the carb, but did not get a start. Then changed the fuel pump (in tank with the screen also required), and got a start immediately. System requires a high pressre to wok anseven with a working pump we were not gettingenough pressure. A new ful ilter and screen did the trick. AS a preventitive measue we has also at first changed the fuel fuse relay? Pressure at the carb from he pump is the key. Good Luck
  • Hey all,

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD. For some reason which I cant explain I'm having problems starting it. I've changed the batteries, alternator, spark plugs and spark plug wires, and fuel filter. Now ever time I try to start it up I can hear to fuel pump kicking on, I can smell the gas going through to the engine and the starter is kicking, but the engine just is not catching. Does anybody out there have any clue as to why my truck won't start aside from kremlins?

V/R,
    Rangerflyboy
  • Hey guys,
    2002 GMC HD, about 80,000 miles, having problems starting.
    She starts alright, but it seem to take a few cranks.
    At first it I thought it might be the gas., but I've goon through several tanks of gas. I've replaced the fuel filter, the ignition wires, the plugs, and the fuel filter again. Any Ideas?

John
  • My truck starts roughly only when it is cold in the morning after it has been parked for 10+ hours. Plugs and wires are new, idle air control new, pcv valve new....any ideas? This has been going on for a long time. Thanks in advance.
  • My 2003 silverado will not start in the cold. My battery keeps getting run down and then I give it a quick jump and and it runs fine. My meter says that the battery is retaining a full charge so that leads me to believe my alternator is fine. Any suggestions.