Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• Options
    hebrewhammerhebrewhammer Member Posts: 34
    Okay, you buy a $33,000 to $40,000 Hyundai, in its first year, new, then.

I'll take my chances and buy a used one a few years from now, if I like it, and if they seem to hold up.

The guinea pig role is not one I'm keen to accept. :P
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Funny, and yet Hyundai tests ALL models in the heat of Death Valley. I'm sorry, did I say test...I meant dog them out to make sure that in the most extreme heat...to make sure the cars will operate without fail.

By testing a limited number of vehicles mean that ALL of them will be trouble-free...doubt it, but at least they know in general that their systems and components can handle the exteme heat.

And if you think Hyundai is the only company to do so, think again...there are quite a few automakers that take cars out to Death Valley in the dead of summer for the very same purpose...real world testing.
  • Options
    jeffreidjeffreid Member Posts: 162
    Houdini, I'm not sure that I even understand what your question is, so I'm a little unsure of how to answer you.

I have been very clear on previous posts that HMA does pay dealers additional incentives based on sales volume and CSI/HSI survey scores. These payments obviously vary by dealer since volume and survey scores will vary. Also, HMA supports the stand alone Hyundai dealers with a small extra payment per retail sale. There are also programs that run from time to time that pay the dealer to sell certain models.

I'm sorry that I have little to no respect from you, however, I have been completely forthcoming in the past, and have no reason not to be in the future. By the way, the "gobblety [non-permissible content removed] " you mentioned really DOES play a huge part in most transactions.

On a totally different note, I was told yesterday that the Pearl White Genesis' should be arriving in showrooms in the next 3-4 weeks. Thought you guys would like to know. Also, when these cars hit, there will be a number of others that were held back from the first Genesis allocation that will hit the ground. This should provide for better selection, and maybe get some of the MSRP+ markups out of the way.
  • Options
    milan13milan13 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks. I have almost made up my mind to buy this car if I get a good finance rate from HMFC. Anyone who can recommend whether I should check with the dealer directly for the financing option or should I take a pre-approval from a bank before talking to the dealer?
  • Options
    I know in some cases, walking in with pre-approval from another source is just like walking in with cash and you can make a better deal. I did that with the first new car I ever bought. With their financing, they weren't budging in the price and the monthly terms were higher than I wanted. I went to my bank, got pre-approved for a certain amount and I told the salesman that if he gave me the car at a certain price (TTL included), I would have a check on his desk the next day for the amount I quoted him (which was $2K below what they were going to sell it to me under their financing), not to mention my payment was like $75 less per month as well.

The only time financing through them is great is if you can get a better interest rate, like when you see those deals for 0% financing.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    However, the msrp is mandated by law
    huh???? so I guess this is why they are selling a silly Honda Fit for 10% MORE than MSRP and why if you call Honda in California they will tell you something like 'actual prices are set by the dealer'. Or why 'gouging' dealers can be found for the Genesis right now and Hyundai will tell you the same thing. Or why the Challenger is being sold above MSRP. Supply and demand will determine what any and all prices can be and if some salesman somewhere is telling you that very few Genesis' willl be built, chances are he is simply trying to convince you to pay something too much for the car. If the Hyundai dealers find out that they can get $100k for a Genesis, rest assured they will, there is no law to stop them - and nor should there be.
  • Options
    caraddict2caraddict2 Member Posts: 24
    Hey all in northeast:
    I just found a dealer advertising lease for $ 399.00, $2,199 at signing and 12k per year, 24 months. Dealer is brad benson located in NJ. Just thought I'd share. Jerry
  • Options
    richard124richard124 Member Posts: 41
    If you look at Brad Benson's web site. He is selling at internet only prices the base model for $2000.00 to $3000.00 over sticker price. That is he is asking $35,000 and $36,000 for a car with a list price of $33,000. Some bargain over the internet.

I wouldn't set foot in the door.
  • Options
    viking967viking967 Member Posts: 23
    caraddict2,

Yes, this is the national lease offered by Hyundai USA. For the V-6 w/Tech package ($40k MSRP), the deal is:

-- $499 per month
    -- $1680 down
    -- +Tax and Registration (some dealers may add a title/doc fee)
    -- $595 disposition fee at end of lease if you turn it in
    -- $26,400 to buy it at end of lease
    -- $500 off the down if you have a coupon from the Discover Genesis Tour
  • Options
    zone4zone4 Member Posts: 46
    Yes, that's correct. The msrp sticker is mandated by law. The manufacturer can put whatever price they want to on the sticker. But if its a new car it must have that sticker which will include the price. If there is no sticker with the car price then the dealer is violating federal law assuming it's a new car. There's no law that says a dealer can't charge more than the sticker price.
  • Options
    ahahahah Member Posts: 3
    Quick question for the the dealers on the thread:

The lease packages are based on the dealer selling the car at invoice price, correct? (that's what I though I read here and/or at genesisowners.com).

If that's the case, wouldn't any dealer who was following the lease program sell the car at invoice if you approached them that way (e.g., instead of a lease, how about if I change to a ourchase)?

It seems this would be the same unless there is some hidden leasing incentive they receive.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Thank you for your reply. I did not mean that you got no respect from me. On the contrary, you have been very forthcoming. A bad choice of words on my part and I apologize.

I am just not sure that I am ready for a Hyundai yet but I am very impressed with the Genesis. Thanks again.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Tech Package seem a little expensive for what you get. Premium plus looks like a much better deal. :confuse:
  • Options
    I guess it depends on what you're after really...if you get the Tech Package in the 4.6, it would make more sense than getting the 3.8 w/Tech Package ($2000 difference). What you get for that $2K difference is substantial too...80 hp, HID headlights, bigger better brakes, supposedly better leather (open for debate) and unique wheels that you can't get on any 3.8 model.

$36K for a 3.8 Premium Plus is still a lot of car for that money. Personally...I don't feel the Tech Package is worth a $4K add-on.
  • Options
    ahah,

I will let one of the dealers respond, but as far as your reference to the lease program being based on invoice, I remember the post you are referring to. It was on the other forum and that poster had experienced a dealer that was trying to tell him that the published lease rate wasn't available because he wouldn't make any money. The poster went on to speak to some other dealers who agreed to offer the published lease. I would not take that posters comments and assume you can use that as the starting point for negotiating for purchase from invoice (but more power to you if you can).

I debated leasing vs. buying the V-6 w/tech (I have never leased before) but I made the decision to lease. I think it is a vry good offer all around on this vehicle when you compare it to buying with a loan - IMO. The first two dealers in MN I spoke to agreed to the published lease - in email - so I don't think it will be hard to find one if you have a little time...
  • Options
    lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    I just picked up my new 2009 Genesis -- 3.8L with the Premium Pkg. Test drove several different vehicles, from Honda Accord to Cadillac CTS. For the money and features, it was the most comfortable and smoothest performer. Looking forward to many months of quiet motoring.
  • Options
    dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
    Hey allmet, my post was one of sarcasm toward what was to me a ridiculous statement (that Korean roads are not American roads) made by chuck1.

I am fully aware of the fact that Death Valley tests are done, and, in fact, the Genesis was geared toward the N. American market, and much of the freeway testing was done in California - which makes sense as the freeways in CA offer both the severe stop-and-go as well as open road crusing at higher speeds.

Another silly comment in that post also revealed that chuck1 is unaware of the harsh Korean winters.

"The mean temperature during winter is generally below freezing. The mean temperature in January in Seoul is 3.5 degrees C. below freezing, while that of London is 4.6 degrees C. above freezing, and that of San Francisco is 10.1 degrees C. Summer in Korea is hot. In most of the country, the mean temperature of hottest month is above 25 degrees C. except in the northern interior. The mean temperature of the hottest month for Seoul is 25.3 degrees C. The annual temperature range between the coldest and hottest months for Seoul is about 28.3 degrees C. The range of temperature is much greater in the north and in the interior than in the south and along the coasts." (from http://user.chollian.net/~jis0523/korea-climate.htm)

Sounds to me like a good place to test cars.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    2 year old sonatas with 20-30k on it sell for $12-14k. lol so how in the world can you buy a genesis for 15k?

I was the one who originally postulated getting a 2009 Genesis 3.8 in the fall of 2012 for around $16k + T&L. So this is not a 2 year old Genesis we're talking about, but a 3 year old car. ALG estimates a 3-year-old Genesis will be worth 50% of its MSRP. Do the math. That's an estimated $16.5k for the base Genesis. Definintely in the ballpark.

Also, I see that if I want, I can go down to a local dealer and pick up a 2-year-old loaded Azera, list price around $31k, with 27k miles for under $16k asking price (final price--who knows?). So I think a 3-year-old base Genesis around $16k is realistic.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Congrats!!

Happy motoring :shades:
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Congrats on the new ride.... when you get a chance keep us informed of how you like it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Note the reviews come from impressions of the S. Korean model (event took place back in S. Korea around May IIRC). Those having driven the North American model likely have noticed the differences in terms of the ride and handling, more specifically, tuned for said market.

By the way, the blog copies everything word by word, even though some of info were incorrect in the first place ;)
  • Options
    My bad, my bad...hard to detect sarcasm all the time. :blush:
  • Options
    Congratulations and good luck, please post updates of what you think of the car from time to time.
  • Options
    pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    "open road crusing" = cruising, or cursing?
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    In this pair of tests the Genesis V-6 and V-8 proved themselves almost identical in feel to the 530i, the heavier V-8 approaching the sensations of a 550i. With the Genesis wheelbase at a class-leading 115.6 inches (overall length at 195.9 inches is roughly five inches longer than any competitors mentioned here), this agility was slightly surprising to us. The Hyundai dynamicists have incorporated aluminum steering and suspension knuckles, aluminum front link arms and brackets, a sophisticated five-link suspension geometry at all four corners (as on the Lexus), and a simple yet solid all-around Amplitude Selective Damping system.
    NHTSA has just awarded the big Genesis a five-star rating, too, in all front and side impact tests. One particular luxo touch that we noted immediately is the substantial laminated windscreen and front window glass. Opening and closing the front windows is an absolutely silent operation à la Rolls-Royce. Genesis is also the first car for sale in the U.S. with major use of fiber-optic technology for onboard systems, reducing the complexity and weight of a traditional wiring harness.
    A 5.8 second 0-60mph time and an electronically limited 155mph top speed prove it's no slouch. Suspension feels soft by European standards, and the steering lacks centre-feel in hard driving. But it certainly deserves the right to be taken seriously as a luxury saloon.'
  • Options
    dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
    Uh...the former. The latter, however, may accompany the former as the elated driver experiences the Genesis being absolutely impervious to the desert heat at 100mph+, then realizes he just passed a speed trap.
  • Options
  • Options
    readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    It looks like the Genesis has finally landed in New England.

I did not receive a call from any dealer, although I've expressed interest and left my information with several. The closest dealer that I'll be visiting had "no clue" what I was getting at when I asked "Do you have any models with the Tech package?" He said he had a fully loaded model, but it had no navigation...... last I checked I wouldn't consider that fully loaded, but anyway.

So, my next question was "Do you have the premium or premium plus?" He replied..."Huh" I asked if it had the larger wheels and he seemed to feel it didn't.
    The salesperson explained, "We haven't gone to Jersey for training yet for the Genesis, we have to go all the way down there." Do these guys even consider using the internet? Although he seemed like a good guy with much energy, he said, "When you come in you can tell me all about the car since you seem to know more than I do." This statement was not sarcastic at all, he was serious about his lack of knowledge about the car.

Jersey is 90 minutes away....Dealer experience could really hurt this car.
  • Options
    dave174dave174 Member Posts: 25
    If I was a owner or manager at a Hyundai dealer, I would make it mandatory that anyone at my dealership selling Genesis review this web site to get the latest on what is going on regarding the Genesis. I for one, know more about this Genesis new release than the dealer sales personnel and even management in Calif because of all the National input to this site. You really have to question where we buy when we know more than the dealer representing Hyundai and Genesis. One would ask if the sales personnel are lost in space with Genesis and service is right beside them. If the sales personnel lack the knowledge of the product is service in the same space. Would sure be nice to have a Hyundai senior executive jump on this site!! Having been following this site for some time I have been very very impressed with all the information that has been made available. I have not been impressed with Hyundai the company thus far. Perhaps they will get their act together in order to play with the big boys. Paying more than $40k certainly commands a better manufacture presence to its possible customers and its dealers.
  • Options
    Well yes indeed the Genesis has arrived in New England. I was heading out to dinner, saw a transport truck in front of hyundai dealer. I stopped in and sure enough it had arrived.
    This car had PP package, didn't really have time to get to go over the car, it looked very nice, solid. I am Not sure I'm crazy about the rims :confuse: Anyway, will keep ya posted on my detailed evaluation and test drive of this car. Jerry
  • Options
    Earlier it was posted that a certain Hyundai dealership in Alexandria, VA was terrible in terms of salesman knowledge and assistance. Well, I just happened to go back one day and I took my wife with me so she could get a look at the new Genesis. We walked in the door and immediately to the left, there was a salesman sitting at his desk watching a movie on his computer. Now I wasn't expecting anyone to get up to help me as they pretty much know me there and I wasn't a potential sale...yet. But, I witnessed others walk in and it almost seems like a seat yourself, help yourself buffet style restaurant up in there.

I can definitely see where Hyundai is going to have to make some changes to support the Genesis on the front end (in the LEAST...start there) and then work all the way back to post-sales customer support in the service department. Which...I can vouch for the same dealer as having a top notch service department.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    IMO there is a fine line between an overbearing salesman and one that is simply ignoring you. You should have at least been greeted with a "Hello, welcome to XXX Hyundai" Its just nice customer service/relations. At my local Yota dealer I always get a hello and a "May I help you" when I walk in.

On another note, I will most likely be driving a Genesis next week as my GF is picking up her Elantra from the body shop at the dealer and her salesman said there should be V6 for me to drive :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Exactly right my friend...at least acknowledge the customer, give them time to look and if they show interest or look like they need some help...approach them, or heck...Welcome to XYZ Hyundai, my name is such & such, let me know if you need any assistance (with a handshake of course) and then walk away.

Sweet!!! Post your experience with the Genesis when you have driven it.
  • Options
    lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    I can speak to the wheel difference. I test drove the 3.8L V6 with the Premium Plus (18" wheels). The ride was firm, but not harsh, a little firmer than I prefer. Also, I didn't care for the chrome accents on the wheels. I then asked the dealer to get me a unit with the Premium Pkg. (17" wheels) which I picked up this past Tuesday. The ride on my car is only slightly less firm than the unit I test drove, and considerably more pleasant on the pot-holed and broken roads in northern Illinois (we had an unusually harsh winter this past season, that did an extraordinary amount of damage to the roads). I prefer the non-chrome wheels; others may have a different opinion.
  • Options
    You're not the first one that has said they like 17" wheels better, maybe in a hyper silver look...that would be slick!
  • Options
    genesis6genesis6 Member Posts: 8
    Should be easy for the dealer to take a premium plus car and put the 17" wheels/tires on it, deduct $1,000.00, and sell it as a premium car. Are there differences in the tire brands and specs between the packages, or is just the size different? If just the aspect ratio is different (i.e., 55 vs 50), the only difference might be the 55s would have a slightly softer ride due to the higher sidewall.
  • Options
    I don't think it would be THAT easy up front...maybe later on down the road.
  • Options
    ljfljf Member Posts: 8
    It is not that easy to change wheel size. It is more than just the wheel. Most cars have specific wheel ratio set based on the radius of the wheel so that the odometer (speedometer) regesters the correct speed and the transmission shift spots. Most of these can be adjusted by aftermarket tools if you want to change it. The tools are manufacturer/car specific with instructions. Also, your dealer can do it too.
  • Options
    Actually...it IS easy to change as long as you keep the overall diameter the same. If you notice...the 17" wheel has a 55-series tire and the 18" wheel has a 50-series tire. The overall diameter is going to be pretty close to each other for that very purpose. There is no tranny difference between a base model or one with a premium package vs. that of the premium plus package.

It might be a good thing for the dealer to match folks up that end up with the 18" wheels, but want the 17" wheels to the folks that have the 17" wheels, but want the upgrade to the 18" wheels....simple swap takes care of everything.

Personally, I would LOVE to see an 18" version of the 17" wheel.
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    40k doesn't go far these days.

A loaded Acura V6 TL with Navigation is almost 40k, and G35's with navi and some options are over 40k. Reality check is that cars are expensive anywhere you go.

People need to notch down their expectations with Hyundai. Customers want to buy everything 3k back of invoice the 1st 90 days a car comes out. You wouldn't expect that at a Lexus dealer.

You'll have to "work around" Hyundai sales people and find out stuff on your own, and not expect the Donald Trump treatment.

The Genesis is a heck of a car for the money, especially in V8 form compared to Lexus and Infiniti. Less money usually always means less service.

I'll be glad to keep $15,000-18,000 extra money in my pocket by not going to the Lexus dealer and sit in their 6 million dollar showroom and have people fall all over me. I'm smart enough to buy things inspite of salespeople. Most salespeople working at Hyndai are high turnover with making just enough money to survive.
  • Options
    I drove a black on black 3.8 premium plus package today, 1/2 of the sales people were busy, the other 1/2 were in Jersey in Genesis training. Since the finance person was the only person available at the time, she kindly took me for a demo once I was finished getting acclimated to the interior. Very solid and smooth ride....I did not realize the driver's seat was not cooled unless you had tech package. She was totally unfamiliar with the car so she explained up front that she didn't know anything.

The other intersting note was the bluetooth function will not integrate into the steering wheel and radio unless you have the tech package. It had a separate interface (that was On-star like) near the sunroof panel. When you press the button, it does not interface with the radio so it has a separate volume control independent of the stereo. I thought that was odd. Other than that, I was hoping I would see buttons to knock down the rear head rests like my RL, it may have been there, but I didn't notice and I couldn't find the button for the rear shade either...I would assume this does exist, but again, nobody knew enough about the car.

And for the price........$2500 market adjustment, because they only have eight allocated and they're selling like hotcakes(I'm being sarcastic). Apparently one of the three was already purchased by someone who works for Consumer Reports. They had already tested the car and found it to be top in it's class.

They promised that you would not be in anything less than the Azera as a loaner.
  • Options
    Apparently one of the three was already purchased by someone who works for Consumer Reports. They has already tested the car and found it to be top in it's class.

Who did you talk to at CR to get this scoop? Usually their testing takes many weeks. I'm surprised they would have finished already. They must have gotten the first Genesis to hit the U.S.!
  • Options
    I did not speak with anyone from CR, this was heresay from the dealer, so you'll have to take that for what it's worth.
  • Options
    Not very much. ;)
  • Options
    cartech86cartech86 Member Posts: 2
    I felt the 3.8 is under-powered. I don't think 0-60 in 6.2 sec is possible for the car I tested. The car is very heavy for its size. 4.6 may be a better match for its weight. The ride was quiet and stable. Suspension was firm though so the road feel was still there. But I think that is a good thing. I can not withstand that I am isolated totally from the outside while driving a car. Inside is a little bit less space than I thought. It feels no better than a Camry or a Azera to me. Overall, I was impressed, but I will wait for the V8.
  • Options
    jeffreidjeffreid Member Posts: 162
    No better than a Camry or an Azera?

Please explain.
  • Options
    cartech86cartech86 Member Posts: 2
    I mean the internal space.
  • Options
    deeezldocdeeezldoc Member Posts: 23
    The traction control (ESC) dampens the response down to control the car and, I believe, to prevent over-torqueing the transmission. Turn ESC off and there is a huge difference. I own a Genesis 3.8L Premium Plus and everyone that has seen and ridden in it-is amazed that this is a Hyundai. Doesn't seem underpowered to me. If you're expecting the V8 to be radically different-it isn't. I've driven the V8 and the suspension feels totally different-very stiff and I couldn't wait to give the car back after the test drive. The V6 has a much better ride-and most of the people that I know here in Arizona that have driven it noticed it as well. By the way-there were a bunch of posts last week about concerns about the ability of the Genesis to handle Arizona heat-complete nonsense. It was 110 degrees F yesterday afternoon and my Genesis ran at 85MPH and the temp indicator is still below 1/2. Rock solid and awesome. Love this car-so far. :shades: