Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Problems 2000-2005

Comments

• My honda dealer wants almost $400 for their version of a 30k service. And their version is no where what the owner manual recommends. they want to replace tranny and brake fluids and coolant. None of which owners manual calls for. Also want to replace spark plugs which don't need replacing for 100k miles.
    The 30k service recommended includes a lot of inspection of components, and only an oil change, no plugs or other fluid replacements. Oh, A/cmicro filter replacement too.(Dealer didn't include this in theirs)
  • hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    The service writers at my dealership (and some others) are paid on commission. The more service they sell the better they get paid. Despite that, my dealership does not recommend any service other than the one required by the manufacturer. So there is some incentive for them to take extra better care of your car.
  • This morning, I found the coolant level in my new accord is below min. So, I took the car to the dealership during lunch. He put some coolant in the reserve tank. Later on I found out the coolant he put in is not the type II(50-50 mix). It was the 100% pure coolant. Would this cause any damage? Thanks!
  • hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    I've done that too. As long as it was not excessive it should not cause any damage. What would cause damage is if it was the wrong coolant type. The next time it falls below min add pure water.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,348
    On a 98 Accord? Wow!
  • That's nothing isellhondas. We just bought a 1998 Accord LX-V6 with 170,000 miles on it. Car looks and runs like it has 30,000 miles.

However, the well-maintained award goes to a 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe we bought with 250,000 miles. Car is immaculate and looks like it has 200,000 miles less than it does. No signs of seat wear at all. I'm beginning to think the 90-93 Accords were the best generation yet.
  • sam775sam775 Posts: 22
    I was taught that if you add too much coolant, it could damage your water pump. Can someone shed some light on this?
  • bburton1bburton1 Posts: 395
    Having too high a percentage of coolant will decrease the heat transfer ability of the coolant. Check on the coolant instructions on the back of the bottle. Changing coolant is essential because old coolant gets either acid or base and can dissolve gaskets and cause big problems. Also you should use coolant with no silicone-info is in car manual I believe.

If you change your own coolant, dispose of it properly, it is a deadly poison and if pets drink a small amount of it, they will die a horrible death.
    Are you serious?? Holy Smokes!

170K on a 98! What kind of a deal did you get on that one?

I see high mile Hondas pretty often. It's funny...even after 200,000 miles, they usually run well, don't rattle and the interiors hold up.

I once took in a 88 civic with 357,000 miles. The body was rough but it ran just fine. It was on it's second clutch too!
  • When I said "we" I meant the dealer I work for.

We bought the car for $6500. It's green over tan with good tires and the interior only has one minor imperfection. There are a few rock chips on the hood (but what do you expect). All in all it looks ALOT better than some 2000-2001 Accords with 150,000 less miles. If I were in the market for a cheap, newer V6 Accord I would seriously consider that one.

The 93 I talked about with 250,000 is amazing. The car could pass for new almost. I've noticed that the interior in the 90-93 Accords (as with almost any other Accord) hold up remarkably well. Like I always say ... when a car can look and drive just as good at 10 years old as it did at 1 ... that's quality. Quality is not 30,000 miles of almost perfect reliability with just a few warranty repairs as some people would like you to believe.
  • I have a 98 accord v6 ex coupe. I beginning to notice a problem every time I park downhill. When I go to start my car, it starts and seconds later stalls. The only way to get the car started is to start the car, accelerate the gas and drive. I currently have about 50k miles on the car. The problem has happened the 3 times I've parked on a steep downhill (uphill is fine). The first time was when the car had 10k miles. Tune-ups are all done at the honda dealership. I'm thinking about just changing the fuel filters to see if that might work, but anyone else have a similar problem?
  • A friend just failed his state emission tests because the NOx number was too high. The car is a '88 Accord LX. The car passed the HC and CO% tests, but failed the NOx test.

Is there any hope to get the problem fixed or the car is just too old to fix? Any ideas? Thanks!
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    reebok
    If the down hill park is steep and the fuel level is below a half of a tank at the time it does this then that is probably all that is wrong. If the hill is not that steep then it would be more like a quarter of a tank or less. The gas flows away from the pick up for the pump and can not deliver enough solid fuel to keep it running. Give it a look and see if it could be a possibility..

ibuycars
    NOx is usally a sign of a problem with the EGR system. Can also be a sign of blow by(oil)or a bad PCV. Start with a system check of the EGR and if all seems to be fine with that then you may have piston rings on their way out or if your lucky a pcv.. Good luck
  • Re: NOx

Thanks for the info. Does the EGR system repair expensive? How much to expect in the worse case?
    (I am trying to see if it is worthwile to have it fixed. I looked at the car this morning; it runs fine otherwise.)
    Thanks again.
    It depends on whats bad but I guess the most expensive of all would be if the intake manifold was clogged not allowing the EGR gasses to get back into the cylynders. As for actual dollars I do not know how much that would be. Best guess would be like $500.00 but have the system checked it may be something simple or cheaper.
  • duperduper Posts: 127
    I have a '01 LX purchased Oct/00 now with 13,900 miles. Everything about the car was good until this morning. My wife was driving on the freeway and as she exiting, the brakes quitted working. It went all the way in as she stepped on it and pumping didn't do anything. She said it felt so soft with no resistence. Fortunately, the exit ramp is an incline so the car already slowed down alot. She was forced to swing a hard right and ran a red light and jumped a curb into a parking lot to make the car stop. No one was injuried.
    In panic, she turned off the car, and after a few minutes, restarted it and everything worked fine. The front right wheel now has a big bend and a alignment is needed as the steering wheel is about 30deg off to the left when going straight. It also starts to shake at around 60mph or so. I couldn't find anything with the brakes after test-drove it on freeway and hard-braked it while on city streets.

I already scheduled an appointment with the dealer next Tuesday for a check up. I was thinking of something has to do with the master brakes cylinder. Since the car is just one month and 1000 miles over the 1yr/12k miles warranty, would the 3yr/36k one cover the brakes if any is found broken?

Has anyone experience this with their car? Any suggestions of what I should mention to the dealer or any TSB that I can show to them about the Accord brakes? I'm so concern now that I'll have her drive my Pathfinder until I can assure everything is fine with the Accord.

Thanks for your help.

About the only thing that could cause such a problem would be air in the system or a bad brake master cylynder. The 3/36 waranty should cover this unless they can prove you did something to cause the problem such as modifying the brake system with aftermarket parts. The other non covered item is usally the brake pads as they are a wear item.Good luck
    1. Don't drive your car 60 MPH when you know a wheel is bent! Of course it'll shake!

2. Show your wife how to use the emergency brake.

And, yeah, it sounds like a bad master cylinder although it ought to be acting up all of the time...strange!
  • i have a 92 accord and it seem that in the last 6-8 months or so that the fan has been coming on more frequently than i can ever remember after i turn the car off. My driving style hasnt changed and outside temperature varied from 90 on hot summer to 40's currently, but it still seems to come on whenever i turn off the engine. the temperature gauge inside never goes above half way and i do understand that the fan is suppose to come on but like i said it comes on with much greater frequency than i can ever remember. is there the possibility that something is wrong ie thermostat, cooling system?...what can i do to check for problem or solve it? thanks for the time
    there is a thermoswitch that controls the fans after shut down. If the coolant is full then maybe this thermoswitch is bad..Good luck