Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Where do you down load them from?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    Sorry Joe, you kinda lost me with the explanation of LSD. Under normal condition for a FWD with no LSD, isn't power transmitted equally to BOTH front wheels?
  • Equally ?...yes...only under perfect conditions. There is still only 1 main drive wheel. However, under normal conditions torque is shared between the two drive wheels. It's when slip of the drive wheel w/o LSD that the two (LSD and non LSD) become apparently different. Non LSD will simply spin the main drive wheel...with no traction to the other (which is what I meant by the two wheels not sharing power equally). The opposite is true with LSD. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Joe
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    Canadiancl: How about this for an example of the three: If you take a GXE with no traction control, an SE AE with LSD but no traction control and a GLE with traction control out to a parking lot with lots of snow on it and floored all three one front wheel on the GXE would spin (the other front tire would do nothing), both front wheels on the SE would spin (the LSD would transfer some power to the second wheel when it sensed the slippage), and neither wheel on the GLE would spin (or at least not much, the traction control should control the spin).
  • someone please helpme. i hav a 2000 max se, loaded to the hilt.

the subwoofer has been rattling lately. i recently opened the trunk, and something looked different.. i could have sworn that the subwoofer was enclosed in sime sort of sound-proofing box, but its not their anymore!!
    am i going nuts, or did someone steal the thing (probably the dealer mechanics). i went to the dealer, and they are claiming ignorance (they say it never existed, and i am crazy). i may be dreaming, but i really thought something was there before (limited truk space in the rear) - someone please help - thanx
  • I have a 2001 Maxima GLE with a little problem. It seems that when I open the door locks with either the key less entry or the key, the door locks automatically lock when I lift the door handle to open the door. This happens from both inside the passenger compartment or outside. I have already locked my keys in the car twice. Luckily, I have carried the extra set of keys with me. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, can you tell me what the dealer did to correct the problem?
  • That's a problem most common to the Quests. Usually it's just a sort of start over type of cure...meaning the brain is simply reset, and the key fobs are then reprogrammed. In rare cases the keyless entry/alarm brain has to be replaced but not usually. As of yet, we're not sure what causes this to happen. Also....you're not supposed to be able to lock the doors with the key in the ignition while the door(s) is/are open, but that too has been symptom of the problem. Some even find that the alarm activates when the door is opened, even though you use the key fob to unlock it.
    I know nobody wants to hear it but...it has to go back to the dealer to be reset, or replaced. Warranty does, of course, cover it.

Joe
  • I think you are confused, there is no sub cover on my 2000 w/bose. Crank it up and open the trunk, you should be able to find what's vibrating.

Slope
  • sidmansidman Posts: 10
    I Just thought that I would post that after about 8 weeks of researching I bought a 2001 black/Black leather Max SE 5 speed loaded for under invoice ($24000) in Atlanta. I LOVE THE CAR...

I got some advice on this message board and would like to thank those that answers my questions. By the way, I bought it at Troncalli Nissan in Decatur GA.
  • Damn...You nearly stole that car !! Best of luck with it. And...with Black on Black....I'd look into some good window tinting for that hot southern sun !

Joe
  • Nissan has a 24 page TSB on rattles and it includes rattles from the rear deck and trunk area. Take it to the dealer and have them apply the "rattle fixes" for you

STEVE
  • After 1400 miles I am only getting 17 MPG in suburban driving in my SE 5sp. Tires are at 31 PSI, I use 93 Amoco, and shift around 2300 RPM in town.

My last trip on interstates and back road of West Virginia got me 23 MPG (much more aggressive driving... much more fun).

Are their any adjustments (mechanical or to my driving) that can improve the MPG?
  • Although 17mpg sounds way too low, you'll find it'll get much better as the engine breaks in more. I drive very little around town but I'm now getting between 26 and 27 on the highway with a 2k 5 spd SE.

Joe
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I've got a new Maxima rental right now-it's really a great drive. Two things really botrher me,though. The dark tinted band on the windshield seems really low-it obstructs my vision. Also,I want the steering wheel to tilt higher. I am only 6feet tall. Do these things bother others? Other than these issues,I am really impressed with the car.
  • Did you try to lower your seat position? It seems doing that would solve both the obscuring band and the tilt wheel interference problems. (Use the joystick on the left of your seat for its position adjustment.)
  • Just had the rear brakes changed on my Maxima which has only 40,000 miles on it. My experience with other vehicles says this is not normal- my other vehicles will go for 80-100,000 miles on the rear brakes. What is the composition on these brake linings. I have done brake jobs on all of my cars so I have alot of experience, I usually use metallic linings. I wanted the dealer to check out the brake cylinder/caliper to see if something has seized up which was not a problem per the dealer/service center.
  • I have a 2000 GLE with 17500 miles and have heard the same whine since the car had about 4000 miles on it. There does not seem to be any drivability problem but at times it can be quite annoying. The noise occurs while in the normal overdrive mode but stops if taken out of overdrive. Please post the fix after your trip to the dealer.
  • I have just balanced my tires, and at speeds of 70mph I feel a slight side to side shaking. It does not happen all the time, but sometimes. sometimes I do not feel anything but the road. I was wondering whether it could be a tire or the axel or steering wheel. The dealership they did look at the front end, could it be a alignment?? email me with direct solutions to rchtrad@aol.com.
  • I agree with your complaint about the steering wheel. I'm only 5"5' and I hit my left knee on the wheel all the time. Either allowing the wheel to tilt up more or adding a telescoping wheel like the Passat would help a lot...maybe next year.

The max was definitely not designed with short drivers in mind. On the other hand it's the most most fun car to drive that also holds the wife and kids in civilized manner :)
  • Hello all,

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 1996 Maxima GLE fully-loaded. It is in great shape and only have 50,000 km on it! Are there any suggestions on things I should look out for when I test drive it? Any known problems with the 1996 model? Any advice in general? What is everyone's opinion of the 1996 Maxima.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate any feedback.