Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• gnlgnl Posts: 94
    Just a thought, but you might want to try a Toyota dealer and see what they would give you to buy your Avalon. Someone wanting to buy an Avalon is more likely to go to a Toyota dealer, so they would have a higher demand than a Nissan dealer, presumably. Might be worth a try.

If I were you I'd still try to sell it privately, though.
  • 66falcon66falcon Posts: 17
    I'm the guy from post 1648 that can't unload my 98 Avalon on the local Nissan dealers. I just wanted to make it clear that the 17,900 and 17,200 were Edmund's and Kelley's Tradein figures, not retail figures. My Avalon really is in perfect condition, and I was shocked by the situation with the guy who had to take 18,000 for his 98 Avalon with only 17,000 on it. I just don't get it.... I want to thank all you guys who have responded to my post and would greatly appreciate any other advice I might get.

Is it reasonable in today's market to trade a 98 Avalon for a Maxima(invoicing at 26,000) for 11,000?.......Many thanks!
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    First...try getting an internet quoted price on the exact Maxima you want...e-mail every Nissan dealer within a 100 mile radius. You should get a spectacular offer - also try Autobytel (hit and miss...some have experience 100 over invoice and others get jacked).

If you still don't get a good price on your Maxima...which should be below invoice given the car's rebate and holdback...then try it in person. REFUSE to play 4 square with the dealership. Tell them no trade in and you just want the solid price. Do NOT let them force you into the 4 square. Get a firm price. If the salesguy isn't working after the 2nd trip to the "manager"...then demand to speak directly to him. If he says no, get up to leave. They'll get him. Establish the final price on the Maxima. Insist on it.

Once you have the final price, spring the Avalon on them. Don't accept less than what you think is fair.

But most importantly, do NOT tell them you're trading in and do not tell the "the payments you want to make" or your downpayment. Establish the price.
  • gotjeepgotjeep Posts: 2
    Going to be dumping the boring Camry and buying a Max in a couple of months the thing is, I've never had leather seats. They feel realllly nice but I'm worried about the hot weather since I'm moving back to Florida. Obviously the black would be a little bit hotter-but in general should I go for it? Thanks!
  • phkckphkck Posts: 185
    Have a 00' GLE. Sterling mist with the lighter interior. Has been a great car, one of the few I have no regrets about buying.
    The leather was fine last summer in KCK 98 degrees with high humidity. Did get the windows tinted and helped with both the look and keeping cool.
    Just my 2Cents
  • jcw915jcw915 Posts: 31
    Hey, it's me again!

the guy that's painting my car says that he can't get the pearl white to match 100% with my car's factory paint color..is he full of it? He buffed the side of my car making it "blend in" with the SUPER WHITE hood that he painted. I told him that this is unacceptable, and he said that that's how everyone does it. So if you look at the car from the side, the top looks looks lighter then the bottom part...So right now half of my car is brigher then the other half. lol I got so pissed at him, i started to yell at him, saying "I WANT MY DAMN BUMPERS AND MY HOOD BACK"... he was saying "i can't take those because their bad..." Don't I have the right to request my original parts back? He said that I didn't have the right to take it back and he wouldn't allow me to take it back.. Was he right? Cause too bad, i busted into the back lot and grabbed the hood and bumpers and threw it onto my pick up...
    He gave me a different story when I told him i want my money back or repaint it today, and he said that he wouldn't repaint the entire thing. And now he's saying that if I get it painted somewhere else and it matches 100%, he will only then, refund my money. Should I take the chance? It will cost about 2000 for someone else to repaint the hood and bumper. What are the chances of getting it to match 100% with my factory paint....i mean is it possible? The place where i want to take it to is in the top 50 body shops in the u.s. dated in 1998..should i trust them?

feedbacks PLEASE!

jerry
  • lakleinlaklein Posts: 8
    Just purchased the 2001 se 5 speed. I'm getting alot of noise from the console when extended .Am I alone, and if not is there a fix? Thank you
    There's a forum called "Nissan questions" or something like that on these boards. A Nissan salesguy named cncman often answers questions. You might try asking there.

FWIW, I believe I've read that the diamond pearl color IS in fact very difficult to match. Can't remember the technical reason.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    Hey blh:

The check engine light can come on for any number
    of reasons. One of the most common is a problem w/
    the emissions control system (ECS in technician
    lingo) I suggest that you ask your service dept.
    to connect your onboard computer up to their
    computer to determine if any "trouble codes" appear. At that point they can attend to the problem and clear out the codes. ECS problems are
    common and can result from even a simple thing like
    not screwing on your gas cap tight enough.

Good luck/berbel
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    read the last few sentences about the maxima..

Nissan
    Come August, a new Xterra will roll into view. The 2002 Nissan Xterra SUV will sport a restyled front end, a revised interior and an optional Rockford Fosgate-powered audio system. But the most impressive new feature will be the optional supercharged V6 engine that pushes power to 210 and torque to 246 lb-ft. This will mark the first time an automaker offers a supercharged V6 in the compact-sport-utility class. Also due in August is the long bed version of Nissan's Frontier Crew Cab. The 2002 Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed will be the first compact truck to offer a full-size bed measuring 74.6 inches long. The new truck will be offered in all trim levels, raising Nissan's Frontier offerings to 19 configurations. Other improvements for the Frontier lineup include a redesigned instrument panel and console, and an optional 400-watt Rockford Fosgate-powered audio system. Nissan's 2002 Maxima arrives in August with its most horsepower ever. The flagship sedan is modestly restyled and gets more than 250 horsepower from its 6-cylinder engine.
  • jdimottajdimotta Posts: 55
    Checked the gas mileage of my new Max...I was amazed..24 mpg...COMBIND city/hgwy...and that was being no slouch on the highway at 70mph....still breaking it in..
    I did notice alot of dirt built up inside the gas cap cover...guess I'll have to wash in there too...
    NORBERT444: I've noticed alot of domestic cars out there where they have foglights on but no headlights...Is that illegal too?
    GALVES Handbook..is what the used car boys use for appraisals...Joe D
  • norbert444norbert444 Posts: 195
    According to many posts I have read before, the law says that the fog lights can not be turned on without the head lights. That's why the manufacturers build the wiring that way.

If you notice many cars on the road in violation, it could mean that some were grandfathered that way before the law went into effect (my speculation, of course). Or people have modified their lawfully built cars and the police doesn't enforce the law, or whatever.
  • maxhuntmaxhunt Posts: 8
    Over 20 years ago, you were only allowed to turn on the fog lights when the low beams are on (and I guess that that law hasn't changed). Also back then, halogen lights were illegal. But, because I couldn't see at night, I put halogens in all four lights (VW Scirocco), plus I put halogen fog lights under the front bumper. One night, while I was driving with ALL lights on, a state trooper pulled me over. He said that I blinded him, and that I needed to wire the fog lights so that they could only be turned on when the low beams were on. Fortunately, he hadn't noticed that the lights weren't sealed beams, and he only wrote a warning ticket.

I agree with norbert44, the police usuall do not enforce the law.
  • mike6345mike6345 Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 97 Max GLE, 55,000 miles for $11,000. Does anyone have any advice on what they're experience has been with this years model or Maxima's in general? It has a great ride to it but I don't want to buy it and then have to turn around and have work done on it.
  • dani329dani329 Posts: 14
    Can anyone reccommend a good Chicago area dealer/salesman? Going to be getting my new 01 Max from someone - feel sorry for them though because I've done entirely too much internet research. Nobody is going to be happy having to deal with me! Let's hope I hold up. Anywhere within 75 miles or so would be good.
  • edgrahedgrah Posts: 1
    My 2K ax(5000 mi) in garage overnight would`nt start (click-click sound and clock stopped) after 3 attempts called dealer and he said jump start and bring it in. Did as directed no problems with car while driving to dealer. Dealer found NO problems!! Nothing was left on while parked overnight in garage. Any Ideas?
  • captainjcaptainj Posts: 31
    Someone mentioned the harsh ride of Maximas: I agree, you can buy custom softer coil springs for any car. I was able to find a place via the internet, ask me for more info if you're interested. I wonder if the Infiniti I30 suspension has softer springs than the Maxima's? Does anyone know? If so, I bet they would fit perfect since the Max and Infiniti I30 have the same suspension (I think).
  • al57al57 Posts: 67
    looking at post 1672 noticed subtle changes in max predicted for 2002. as past experience has shown usually a body style could be current for 3-4 years..if this is true is it due to possible low sales of 2000 and 2001 models?and what could be the resale loss of revenue of this car is only current for 2 years? Bought a 2000 max se..A little concerned about future sale..NO LEASE HERE
    Don't worry about future sale. If you maintain your car well and keep it for at least five years, you'll do fine. For used cars, the condition is much more important than the body style.
  • qx4qx4 Posts: 99
    the body style is only getting a minor change(s)
    its the engine thats changing

exactly what they did with the pathfinder/QX4.
    cosmetic make over and a new engine. NOT a redesign.

i wouldn't worry. i'm still driving my 95GXE and running great.