Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    cyluriancylurian Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 WRX. After a year driving, I have had my engine light turn on many times for 3 months. At first the dealer told me it was a misfire on cyl.1. But, I have taken the car to the dealer 5 times with this same issue. First they reset the computer, then they took a spark plug, then they changed the valve. One time they didn't do anything with it. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue? How many times to I have to get this serviced?
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    "Yes, those fantastic bolsters were just not designed for the average american physique, or for anyone else who has seen the inside of a gym within the past year."

Don't you mean "for anyone else who has NOT seen the inside of a gym within the past year."

Go to the gym, love the '02/03 seats! :shades:

BTW, the '02/03 seats are not as narrow as the 350Z seats (extremely narrow in the back, by the lower back rest)!
  • Options
    tacosupremetacosupreme Member Posts: 8
    How common are head gasket problems with the 2.5L engine? I was thinking about getting one but this problem makes me leery. Is it an expensive fix? Could you do it yourself? Does it recur after fixing?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    That was a problem that affected '99(?) to '01 or '02 models only. There was a TSB and the dealer adds some type of stop leak to the radiator.

It hasn't affected any (or many) models since then and didn't affect my decision to switch from a 2.0 WRX to a 2.5 FXT.

-Dennis
  • Options
    cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    "Don't you mean "for anyone else who has NOT seen the inside of a gym within the past year." "

Whoops. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We haven't seen a large rate of HG failure from model year 2003 and on. They cover 99-02 under an 8/100 warranty if you use their conditioner.

A few 98s had problems and those were the only ones not covered. Mine has been just fine.

-juice
  • Options
    86regalt86regalt Member Posts: 7
    I installed the 2003 Driver's Seat and it is much more comfortable. It is undetermined as of yet whether it will be good on long trips. It still notice some pain after about 45 minutes but I think I can change my position in the seat and have it go away.

I guess I'll play with it for a while because I like the performance and gas mileage. I still don't think the seats are as comfortable as my 84 GTI or 86 Regal T-Type. For comparison though, the Subaru will beat the T-Type in gas mileage and handling. Also it will beat the T in the 1/4 mile, but ONLY if it is raining or snowing! :)

To answer Kevin's observation, I go to the gym twice a week, I am 6'1" and weigh about 170 so the American syndrome has luckily not gotten to me yet. Certainly being too American (big) for the seat is not a problem for me. :)

Thanks to you all for your input and especially to Brian for his quick responses to my questions. The seats were a direct swap and no Airbag light problems were seen.

Steve
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I'm glad you are giving the new seats a shot -- I've really been happy with mine. Consider it a few hundred dollar experiment to keep you from having to sell the car and take a much larger loss!

B
  • Options
    searcherboysearcherboy Member Posts: 32
    Saw the following article posted on Sky News, a British news website. Competition between Mitsubishi and Sube in the UK must be very serious indeed if Subaru is willing to provide free retrofit performance upgrades to WRX/STI models - using Prodrive components, no less.

The article does not mention which model years qualify for the free upgrades, but the performance numbers cited are tantalizing. Go to:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/xml/article/0,,40000-214922,00.html

SB
  • Options
    Not a free retrofit available to all - it's a special offer, valid May 1 - July 31, for all new WRX/STI buyers in the UK.

Details on Subaru UK website:

http://www.subaru.co.uk
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    had an 02, then an 03 WRX. 6' tall 260 lbs. Great seats. Now I have an 05 Legacy Ltd. Even better. Of course the lumbar, power driver adjust and the HEATERS help.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Of all the Subarus I have owned, the 03 WRX had the best seats by far. They were also the simplest, with just a couple manual controls. I sure miss that car!

Craig
  • Options
    cwavthomcwavthom Member Posts: 2
    Can they be removed? I have an '02 I just bought used, and I absolutely LOVE everything about the car -- except the seats. Today was my first road trip in the car -- 4 hrs. -- and after about an hour those metal bars in the sides of the seats were digging into my hips and thighs big time! I'm not a small guy -- 6' 4", 230 lbs -- but wife is always teasing me about my scrawny butt, so I don't have a wide load down there. Can the seat cover be removed and the metal braces inside the bolsters be removed (or at least bent out)? I'll be in the car for 16 hours this coming weekend. :cry:
  • Options
    Seriously, a lot of people prefer the 02 seats, and you shouldn't have trouble finding somoene willing to trade. Plus you get the newer seat. The new ones are wider.

-juice
  • Options
    cwavthomcwavthom Member Posts: 2
    Doh! Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. :P I went in Walmart, put $4.88 down on a chair seat pad, and when I put it on the driver's seat, it raises me up just enough to take the metal bars in the bolsters out of play. Since I like how the seats feel on runs less than an hour and I only take long runs once in a blue moon, I'll just go with an extra-cushioned bottom.
  • Options
    barriostkdbarriostkd Member Posts: 71
    I'm getting a Perrin 22mm adj. rear sway bar and Whiteline alloy rear end links installed on my '04 WRX sedan tomorrow. Was wondering if any of you folks have upgraded the rear sway bar on your WRX and what are your feedbacks (if any). I figured this was the best bang for the buck in terms of improving the suspension. Thoughts please?

Thanks!

James B.
  • Options
    I figured this was the best bang for the buck in terms of improving the suspension.
    Yes.

Keep it on the middle setting though unless you're hitting the track. Don't know if you've read much about them, but you need to be aware of drop-throttle oversteer. Releasing the throttle in certain instances like a turn, will cause the rear to kick out (especially in slippery conditions). Stay on the throttle and you'll be very happy with the handling. :)

-Dennis
  • Options
    andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    You'll feel better turn in, keeps the car flatter but watch trail throttle oversteer! If you already ahve better tires/wheels, you can try an alignment with more camber in the front and rear (you may need camber bolts). around with -1.5 F and -1.0 rear or +/- 0.5 degrees won't affect tire wear too much.
  • Options
    Andmoon & Bluesubie, thanks for all your input on the rear swaybars! I've had it for about two weeks now and I'm really happy with the improved handling. I have it on the middle setting. I'm also running the car on 17x7.5 Rota Torques and Toyo Proxes-4 all seasons. This setup is definitely better than stock handling-wise. I haven't had a chance to drive on twisty mountain roads since I got the RSB, but when I take corners and freeway ramps the car feels tighter and has flatter handling.

James B.
  • Options
    canuck1933canuck1933 Member Posts: 6
    the 9-2X Aero's basically the same thing as the WRX wagon right?... except arguably nicer (hence the higher MSRP)... yet, with this whole GM "pay what we pay" deal, you can get the 9-2X Aero for $19.5K... this seems like a great deal... any thoughts or comments?... should the Saab reliability be as good as Subaru's since they share the same engine? Thanks!
  • Options
    with a different nose. And it is build in Japan at the same plant as the WRX. I believe the suspension is tuned to be slightly softer. You can also get Xenon headlights. The look isn't that bad IMO, but they don't get roof racks if that's a concern for you.

I would look around the internet for 9-2X owner's to see how the Saab experience is, unless you already know that. I believe there are a lot of Saab folks that don't like it because it's Japanese. If I were in the market for a new wagon, I would definitely consider it if it's 19K. Definitely not for 30k though.

-Dennis
  • Options
    If I were in the market for a wrx wagon now, I'd get the saab. I think you are getting more for less money. Looks like most aftermarket stuff fits right in as well.
  • Options
    They are not that different. Saab got a new interior, but Subaru promptly put it in the 2005 WRX.

The Saab has slightly quicker steering and more sound insulation. Mostly, it has more options, like leather and a moonroof, which the WRX wagon lacks.

That plus you delete the roof rails. But you gain 2 years' free service.

Not big differences unless you really want a factory moonroof or leather.

-juice
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    You can get a 9-2X Linear as low as $16K (why would I buy a Civic ?) and an Aero (WRX) for $19K.

I think 9-2X will still be cheaper than the Impreza even after loaded with options (with better look, sound insulation and services too).

I wonder what will happen to the Impreza sales.
  • Options
    silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    Have a good/safe holiday everybody!

ps - i've NEVER had so much fun putting 6 K miles on a new car! :shades:
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I have been looking at the Saab deal, especially since the local delaer has about 8 Arcs (WRX) equivalent in stock, all manuals Apparently, the new Saab buyer does not like a manual.

Big Question: Where to get it serviced. Saab has only about 200 US dealers vs. 600 for Subaru. Saab is considered a premium make and service prices are in line with that. Fortunately, service to 36,000 is included in price. Do you think a Subaru dealer would do routine maintenance after that runs out?
  • Options
    The 92-X Aero is a WRX with fancier interior trim, extra sound insulation and a different front end. The only mechanical differences are in the suspension. Same engine, same drivetrain. Any Sube dealer can service one of these cars. If you need to replace suspension components, which rarely happens unless you have an accident, they could easily order parts from Saab.

I'd go for it if I were you. The discounted 92-Xs are screaming buys. I'm in Canada, where, sadly to say, the GM Employee Pricing promotion doesn't apply. I've looked into buying a 92-X from a US Saab dealer and importing. Taxes, import fees and the exchange rate eats up some of the discount, but total cost will still be cheaper than Cdn WRX prices by several thousand dollars.

My only concern is whether the warranty will apply on a US-bought car north of the border. A dealer in Seattle told me there shouldn't be a problem, but I want to get hold of a 92-X warranty and read the fine print.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The government couldn't find any problems, and has closed the case against the WRX.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/prepos...3024-20868P.pdf:

Bob
  • Options
    It'll remain a mystery, because people noted improvements even by just changing to better tires.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    And... the '06 WRX has "upgraded" brakes too! 4-pot units I believe. I'm sure SOA is hoping the '06 models, with their improved brakes, will help ease potential customer fears in this regard.

Bob
  • Options
    bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    I concur, echo, and agree with your statement. The guys at AZP know what they're doing and are super-cool to their customers. When I recently pointed to a Civic at the far end of the lot and said "whose RSX is that?" they were kind enough to say "well, it's a Civic, but they're made by the same company."

Most places, I woulda been laughed out of there.

DjB
  • Options
    The other day the tail lights of my '04 WRX sedan stopped working. I checked the fuse if it was blown, but it was still ok. So I figured I'd check the tail light bulbs, but those still looked ok too. I'm thinking it must be some electrical problem. Now my other option is to take it to Subaru unless any of you guys have a better suggestion. I'd really rather not take it back to Subaru for service because they're going to charge $120 as a diagnostic fee since I'm already out of my warranty period. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JB
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Change the bulb then fuse regarless what they look like. It only costs you a few bucks anyway. If neither works, you can take it into any service station. $120 is a lot of money. Your Subaru dealer must be running like a gang business. I had my 97 OBS in for an unknown noise from A/C from my dealer after it was out of warranty. It only costs me $35 for diagnose and fix (leafs in blower).
  • Options
    It's rare for all the bulbs to go out at the same time.
  • Options
    check the wiring....

the only way for ALL tail lights to stop working is if the harness -- or a ground -- got disconnected somewhere.

since the various lights use different fuses and relays (and bulbs) it would be hard for me to believe ALL the fuses, relays, or bulbs blew.

most likely culprit is a loose/broken wiring harness or ground connection.
  • Options
    That's highway robbery. More than an hour just to diagnose it? An hour of labor is usually around $85. It should be at most that much.

-juice
  • Options
    Only the tail lights aren't working. The brake lights and signal lights are still working. It's only when I turned on the headlights that somebody behind me called to my attention that my tail lights weren't working. Not really sure how to check the wiring harness or any wiring for that matter.

Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek, CA quoted me for $120 for the estimated 1 hour for the diagnostic. I called Pep Boys as an alternative and they are going to charge $92 to look at it.

JB
  • Options
    I would double check fuses (underhood fuses as well) and bulbs if it's only the running lights in the rear.

Craig
  • Options
    Checked the fuses and the bulbs again. Then bought new bulbs just in case, but that didn't work either. Brought it to Pep Boys and they took a look at it and said that I have to take it to the dealer since they don't have the electronic diagram of the '04 WRX. So I guess I'll just get ripped off for $120 at the dealership. Oh well, life can suck sometimes.

JB
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    That's why you need to get a Subaru Credit Card so that all your repairs at dealer can be paid with Subaru Buck$ in stead of real money.
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Just saw my first 2 '06 WRX sedans. New snout. Nice lip less 17' wheels. What appeared to be red painted 4 pot front and 2 pot rear brakes. One had nice leather the other 2 tone cloth. A person claiming to be with Subaru said that they now have 270 hp! He said there was an '06 STi there earlier. I'll try and check back.
  • Options
    2.0 or 2.5?
  • Options
    I couldn't look under the hood, the window stickers were blank but for the options. I was told 2.5.
  • Options
    Same tune as the '06 Forester XT.

No way would they let the plain WRX make more power than the Legacy GT. That would not make sense.

-juice
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a 2.5 H4 with 230HP.

Craig
  • Options
    I thought it was too close to the STi myself, but, Subaru has pleasantly surprised us in the past. I don't think many thought the STi would have 300 hp. I'm only repeating what I was told. Please don't take it for anything more than an unconfirmed communication from an unconfirmed source. FWIW, while I would personally choose different color schemes, I liked what I saw.
  • Options
    I wonder if all the 2.5 turbos except the sti aren't exactly the same.
  • Options
    Well, the SAE is cracking down on cheaters, so new numbers should be pretty accurate.

-juice
  • Options
    It better not be any quicker than the 2.0 w/ up/dp/hoses and em or I am not going to be a happy camper!
This discussion has been closed.