Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ducatiguyducatiguy Member Posts: 11
    Two dealers estimated some would arrive the week of 9/12. The balance opined it would be early October before multiple choices would be available...

For us, we moved up from a '98 EX V6 (which we still have). As such, the 2005 model was a big leap forward for us. The 2005 to 2006 changes are 'just' incremental. Which was another reason we were comfortable going with the 2005.
  • Options
    vf154vf154 Member Posts: 12
    >

Yes, I'd like to see the ad for Arlington TX
  • Options
    rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "Btw, if the car has popular color, it should be less expensive because it's easy to find."

It doesn't take Keynesian economics to punch a hole in that theory. Traditionally the in-demand colors, options, etc. command the highest prices. Why? Because dealers know that people are willing to PAY to have the latest "in" thing. (and dealers are very astute students of human psychology) The trickle-down consequence of this phenomenon explains why insurance premiums on cars that are popular and/or have the most popular colors, options, etc. are higher, too. Why? Because thieves also want them. (Hey, they might be honesty-challenged, but they do share a penchant for popular taste with the rest of us... ;))
  • Options
    jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    What the heck are "wheelwell protectors"?
  • Options
    whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I can agree with you and chucko3 too. I can see the "tail wagging the dog" though. The power of modern marketing. Do you think that when Ford mass produced the Model T that the most popular and desired color was black because it truly was that popular or because it was the only color offered? Think about it.
  • Options
    hunt4carhunt4car Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

Just looked at the blue book and here are the prices for the Demo/Used Honda Accord 2005 EX V6 with 4500 miles on it and in excellent condition with the features the car had:

Kelley Blue Book:

-Dealer Trade In: $21,065
    -Private Party Sale: $23,505
    -Dealer Retail: $26,000 (approximately)

This suggests to me that a great price is $21,500 to $22,000 - does that seem reasonable? (Is it even possible to get dealer to go below trade in price?)
  • Options
    Just checked Edmunds pricing for used cars for the Demo Accord EX V6 2005 with 4500 miles. It is:

dealer trade in - $22,350
    private party - $23,500
    dealer retail - $25,500
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..sort of a color coordinated molding found on the leading edges of wheel wells, doors............

ez
  • Options
    dealneederdealneeder Member Posts: 19
    I have listed your price below for a reason. My wife and I, after a ton of shopping, comparing, etc., just signed papers with DCH Academy Honda in NJ for a brand new, 11 mile odometer, EX V6 sedan, for 22103 + 515 dest + 100 doc + tax, title, reg (state specific). We pick the car up tomorrow or Tuesday. Good service - Open Road Honda had the same pricing, basically, but DCH had a slightly wider selection of colors.

If you can get the brand new one for this price (and there is no guarantee in your area that you can), I don't see why it is wise to get a car for a few hundred less with almost 5k miles on it.

I also think, on a side note, that the KBB dealer retail is beyond nuts given current incentives in the marketplace (1250 dealer cash plus low end-of-model-year demand).

#9471 of 9473 More on Accord EX V6 2005 by hunt4car Sep 02, 2005 (8:30 am)
    Hi,

Just looked at the blue book and here are the prices for the Demo/Used Honda Accord 2005 EX V6 with 4500 miles on it and in excellent condition with the features the car had:

Kelley Blue Book:

-Dealer Trade In: $21,065
    -Private Party Sale: $23,505
    -Dealer Retail: $26,000 (approximately)

This suggests to me that a great price is $21,500 to $22,000 - does that seem reasonable? (Is it even possible to get dealer to go below trade in price?)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " Take Action" ??

What kind of action? 200 miles is nothing but if it bothers you, just don't buy that car!
  • Options
    javnerjavner Member Posts: 23
    Signed the papers on a 2005 Accord LX Automatic last night. I think I got a fair deal:

They gave me the car at 19000 flat including destination which is between TMV and Invoice. I know they have some marketing support that they wouldn't talk about but they gave big money on my trade = $7000 for a 2001 Golf GL 5spd. Since it was leased and not due back until Feb of 06 there was about a grand difference between the value and buyout that I rolled in.

Final Cap Cost including Acquistion Fee and Negative Equity was 20603. Residual at end of 36mo / 12k lease was 11388. Money Facor on the deal was .0005 which was the Honda Credit Super Preffered Rate so they tell me. Total monthly payment is $288 which includes sales tax (272 without tax) with only first payment due at signing, no cap reduction.

They weren't making a big deal out of the price they were giving me so I don't know if they were secretly smiling that they cleaned my clock or not making a deal out of it since I got a good deal. They had 06s on the lot so were claiming they were doing what they had to make the 05s disappear.

Will never know if I really got as good a deal as possible, but I think I got a fair deal and into a very fuel efficient family hauler for three years that will cost me next to nothing to maintain.

Let me know how I did, not that it matters now, but would like to know I did okay!

Thanks
  • Options
    suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    The Accord EX sedan, automatic, 4 cylinder they have is in their showroom with $169 tinting and a $450 spoiler added.

They want invoice $21,213 plus $299 fee plus TTT for an out the door of $23,635.

I want to pay $20,000 for the car including their fee.
    Is that unreasonable?

And what is a reasonable add for the tint and spoiler?

Thanks,
    S
  • Options
    rbevz67rbevz67 Member Posts: 69
    22.6k OTD or less would be a very good price IMO.
  • Options
    "Do you think that when Ford mass produced the Model T that the most popular and desired color was black because it truly was that popular or because it was the only color offered?"

Not sure what your point is - you answered your own question. Ford even joked in advertising that the customer could have any color he wanted as long as it was black. "Popularity", which will result in higher selling price, had nothing to do with Ford's decision. Ford built the Model T strictly to a price point. The price point was the basis for the Model T's popularity, not gee-gaws or appearance issues. Working class families, the group to which the "T" was targeted, were ecstatic that here was finally an affordable, reliable car for them. (The guys who built the darned things could even afford one.) Paint color, as Henry Ford realized, was irrelevant, so he was able to maintain a standing order for black paint with his supplier. Black pigment is carbon black - VERY cheap to produce. Black also meant that the same paint could be applied to chassis pieces as well as body sheetmetal without the need for alternate spray booths or regard to downtime to clean spraying equipment to handle other colors. The supplier, in turn, was able to stockpile the ingredients at the best price with the assurance there'd be a ready market for the finished paint to the factory and dealer network. Ford, however lavished attention to the engineering of the "T". The front axle was drop-forged from tool steel. While an expensive piece to produce, there were very few busted axles on Model Ts. (Paved roads were the exception, not the rule.) His engineers designed and developed a unique transmission that only required clutching in order to start the car from a dead stop. In many ways the Model T's transmission was a forerunner of later automatic transmission design - two planetary gearsets engaged by hand levers to manage 2nd, 3rd, and reverse "gears". Overall, the "T" was very cost effective to produce. But, though inexpensive to buy and maintain, the Model T was not a "cheap" car.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the information and comments - this will help a lot as I negotiate with the dealer. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    capt41470capt41470 Member Posts: 38
    Hey Guys

I'm trying to decide if I should get a 4 cly or V6 accord. I've had people tell me their opinions about why they would get a V6. They say it's good to have the power of a V6 b/c it's a better ride and better performance.The minus side is it eats up alot of gas. i've had people tell me that the 4 cil is good enough and that you wouldn't notice much of a difference. So for any of you who own 4 cil and v6's i'd would like to hear some your reasons for why you chose your particular accord. Thanks.
  • Options
    emargarettayloemargarettaylo Member Posts: 1
    Which Bay Area dealer was this?! I'm buying a similar one this weekend!
  • Options
    nomar69nomar69 Member Posts: 49
    Well, its all relative. A 4 cylinder is definitely "good enough" if you're single and the driving terrain in your area is relatively flat. I've been driving a 1996 Accord for the past 9 years (I was single when I bought it). For the longest time, I also thought it was "fast enough" or "had enough power" and it probably did for my purposes. But now I've got a family and I often have lots of passengers and cargo. I definitely feel a lack of pulling power and passing power when my family (and all our cargo) is in the car. At times, I feel myself struggling as my car struggles to accelerate (weird huh?). When you get into a 6 cylinder car, you'll definitely notice a difference in pulling power..especially if you've got a full load of passengers/cargo and you're on hilly roads. Your acceleration and passing power is greatly eased which makes for a relaxing ride. Having the power of a 6 cylinder under your feet gives you peace-of-mind knowing that it's there when you need it. Unfortunately, I can't say that for my 4 banger.

Currently, I'm shopping around for a 6 cylinder vehicle: 2006 Odyssey; 2006 Acura MDX or the 2006 Infiniti QX56 (a V8).

My wife and I both have 4 cylinder vehicles ('96 Accord & '97 Civic) which I'll use to tool around town and for commuting to work

These days, it's good to have a gas economical car. So, if you've got a 6 (or 8) cylinder vehicle in your garage, a new 4 cylinder car is a smart investment. Honda has probably mastered the art of the 4 cylinder engine.

In conclusion, you should base your decision on your particular needs.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....N69 summarizes the 4 vs 6 question quite well for you...............

..I would point out that the 4 has a timing chain versus the 6 having a belt..........

..I have the six; getting about 27 (70H/30C) at odo 1600......

..either way, it's a great car.....

.best, ez.......
  • Options
    Thanks guys

Those were alot of great points I nevered realised. Thanks again!
  • Options
    greenlight1greenlight1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Accord EX V-6. With only 44 miles on it someone open their door and put a dent in the door.It is probably the size of a quarter but very noticeable.I realize this does happen .I heard something about spotless dent removal Does anyone have any info on removing such a small dent? Thanks alot
  • Options
    snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    What kind of action? 200 miles is nothing but if it bothers you, just don't buy that car!

You're entitled to your opinion that "200 miles is nothing", but many people would say that they wouldn't by any new vehicle with more than 50 miles on it.
    It did bother me, because I considered it quite misleading especially when I was told the car would have less than 50 miles on it, at the time of agreement of purchase. We had already invested quite a bit of time in negotatiating and having the car procured from another dealer. So next time read the thread (and think) before jumping to any simple conclusions.
  • Options
    scoobydooxpscoobydooxp Member Posts: 14
    Put a deposit on a 2005 Accord LX 4 cyl for the wife for the tmv price of $18,953 + tax. Dealer was pretty haggle free. After the test drive we sat down and the salesman pulled up edmunds.com and the TMV price and said this is what we charge you. I was pleasantly surprised. Tuesday is the last day for the current 4.9% promotion on 5 years financing. Can I do better? The other Honda dealer near me was a b*tch to haggle with and there are maybe 3 other 2005 Accord LX 4cyl automatics within an hour drive of here.
  • Options
    suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    Since the Honda incentive is factory to dealer, does the Edmunds "true market value" include or not include this?

Thanks,
    S
  • Options
    snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    As others have stated on this board, the LX can be had for $17800 + TTL... some have done even better... read through the posts. I believe the TMV doesn't include the recent FTD incentives and end-of-year holdback....You should try to get at least $1000 below invoice.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,558
    greenlight1.. This discussion is about prices paid and the buying experience.. You might have better luck getting an answer to your question, if you post it here:

Paint and Body Maintenance and Repair

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You totally missed my point.

If you were told the car would have less then 50 miles than that should have been the case.

In the life of a car, 200 miles is, indeed, "nothing". I was simply trying to put you at ease with that.

And, you should also stop to read the last part of my sentence..."but if it bothers you, just don't buy that car"

I think the dealer was wrong in underestimating the number of miles the traded for car would have but I also don't think it's that big of a deal.

I did read the thread, and I do think. I was only sharing my opinion for what it's worth!
  • Options
    saxe10595saxe10595 Member Posts: 35
    check carsdirect.com as they have LX auto listed at 17900 in New York area. I think 18900 is almost 1000 more than this, where you can have hassel free buying with carsdirect. I bought my accord LX 4cyl auto from Willis Honda in NJ for 16864+125 doc fee +1264 tax and title all total under 18300 including taxes OTD(thanks to Raaga and Rain 3 here on this forum). I would check rate with carsdirect.com and then take the printout to the dealer to see if they beat that price.
  • Options
    scoobydooxpscoobydooxp Member Posts: 14
    I did check carsdirect.com. They have it listed at $18,719 for my zip + tax + fees.
  • Options
    greenlight1greenlight1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response,your site went to the info without having to post the question.I looked for this post after you gave it to me but did not see it. New Member Anger Management
  • Options
    nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    If it bothered you, why are you still discussing this thing here? Then don't buy it.
    Nobody will tell you what to do, ultimately it is up to you. If you asked me, I would not even buy the car since the dealer does not even know the mileage on the car and just simply, I would want to buy a brand new car. This is just me. But make your own decision.
  • Options
    nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    Well, carsdirect showed $17700 for my zipcode at Chicago for a stick shift (not AT), and TMV price is $18229. I bought mine for $17160, but people have bought the same car for $17070. People in NJ are paying $1000 even less than these prices.

So make sure that carsdirect and TMV are your starting point for your research, but do not assume that they are the absolute bottom prices. Read the posts in your area and you'll save a lot of money.
  • Options
    Click on the link... then click on "recent messages", or click on the last page of the discussion... Then, post your question..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cars7cars7 Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone had experience with open road honda, good or bad . Please inform me prior to making a trip. I have a question regarding sales tax do you pay the tax in the state you are purchasing from or your state where you live?
  • Options
    You generally pay tax where you reside and register the car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dptrckdptrck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Accord EX with an automatic transmission that I am very pleased with. The only issue that I have with the car is a clicking noise when then transmission is shifted from reverse to drive. The sound actually mirrors a manual transmission being shifted into gear. Dealer and Honda rep. have looked at the car three times and has told me that this is a normal noise that the transmission is making. A regional Honda rep. has agreed to issue me a 100k mile power train warranty if I decide to purchase the car at the end of my lease in 06.

Has anyone else has this same issue with the Accord transmission?
  • Options
    d4ld4l Member Posts: 7
    Hello all,

Could someone help me with getting this deal, I am in new jersey as well and looking to get an accord LX 4 cyl. I need to get details and info on who to talk to get the deal as well as what comes with the car if any extras?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    mqqb1mqqb1 Member Posts: 29
    I am looking for an Accord EX (2.4 L engine with 5 speed automatic trans) in the Boston area. Any prices paid lately? Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    That is a great price if it included destination; I paid $23,600 for the same car in May in Mass. WHAT DEALERSHIP DID YOU GET THAT DEAL AT? I am looking for another Accord. - Mike
  • Options
    jimexjimex Member Posts: 46
    I bought a 05 EX 2.4L, auto, cloth, PZEV in April for $21,000 - Out the door (including destination, taxes and all fees) at Boch Honda - Norwell. So you might get a better price now for a 05.
  • Options
    mngantungmngantung Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking to buy 2006 Honda Accord EX with leather (AT). The dealer was asking for 23,900 which he said it is about $750 below the invoice. The MSRO for this type of vehicle is $ 25,500.00. Has anyone had any idea the invoice for this car and how much I should spend to purchase this car. Your response is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Michael
  • Options
    What is the PZEV package? I've seen it often but have not researched yet.
    Mike
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    From About.com:

Definition: Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. A PZEV-rated vehicle is 90% cleaner than the average new car and also has near-zero evaporative emissions. The hybrid must also have a 15 year/150,000 mile warranty on the emission control systems.
  • Options
    techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    To anyone who recently financed a new car. What is a good way to find
    the best rate for a new car loan? Any websites that allow you to
    quickly compare rates etc. How do 3rd party companies compare with
    Honda's own finance options. Thanks
  • Options
    wileeebwileeeb Member Posts: 16
    I would like to purchase a fuel efficient car, but the batteries scare me. I'm told they have about an 80K warranty, but when I've asked about the prices people hedge. Only one person has "quoted" so far and that was $5,000. Seems a bit much to put into a car when it is around 80K-100K miles. What prices have you been quoted on the replacement batteries?
  • Options
    I've read several independent projections that agree with your source. Lithium-Ion battery packs in the configuration that'll supply the necessary electrical current are not going to be cheap - and inflation may counter any manufacturing economies that would moderate today's pricing. I have a feeling that early adopters of this technology may find themselves taking a bath on trading them in after 50K or more miles. Who, in his right mind, would want to buy one of these potential white elephants when they could be on the hook to the tune of an additional obligatory $5,000.00 after another 2 yrs./30K miles? And that's assuming there aren't developing problems with the car's gasoline engine that's frequently stopped/restarted in urban traffic. (There's a reason urban police cruisers are auctioned off after two years.) New hybrids are enthusiastically promoted as the best of both worlds by their boosters. Trade-in hybrids' value and second sale hybrids' popularity will remain dual mysteries for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    2hokies2hokies Member Posts: 2
    Michael, I'm hoping to buy an '06 LX SE soon but likewise have had no luck finding invoice prices. Perhaps someone could tell us when and where prices might be available.

Matt
  • Options
    roosaroosa Member Posts: 9
    using yahoo.....try automobiles.honda.com................they have prices for all but the new civic
  • Options
    2hokies2hokies Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, but unless I'm missing something, they only show MSRP.
  • Options
    hey guys

Has anyone heard when the 06 accords will be in the dealerships? Thanks