Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mikebztmikebzt Member Posts: 44
    Yes its a good price
  • Options
    mrukzmrukz Member Posts: 14
    16,600$ could be good or so so. Did you get the optional package with power seats? If so, your price is quite good. If you do not have the option package, you should be able to go down a bit, depending on which state you are in.
  • Options
    sudhakarsudhakar Member Posts: 4
    Please do provide me with the information you have.
  • Options
    ktv1969ktv1969 Member Posts: 9
    $16,600 is the OTD price with just mats.

I came to the local Hyundai to get the "ad car" which was being sold for $14, 395. As I was told, they would not be able to budge on the price on "ad car" as it is considered a "loss leader." Reportedly, there is no room to negotiate.

There were only two cars for that price (white and red). I wanted a black one, so they charged me an additional $300. They initially wanted $500, but I said I will think about it. That was when they said OK.

I got the car for $16,600 OTD in California.

I have never owned a Hyundai before, but I noticed two obvious things that Hyundai does not offer to customers, but others such as Honda and Toyota do.

They did not offer me a free oil change. My past three purchases from Honda, Toyota and Isuzu, they all offered the 1st oild chage for free. For Hyundai, I had to persuade them to.

Second, they did not fill up the tank for me when I drove off the lot. As a matter of fact, this took me by surprise. Did this happen to anyone? Was you gas tank filled up? Mine was almost empty.

I am just curious if other Hyundai buyers got a full tank of gas when you drove off the lot.

The reason I ask is because I always got free tank of gas with Honday, Toyota and Isuzu. Also, my salesperson appeared to be new or scatter-brained. She forgot to post the temporary car registration to the winshield of my car. I almost drove off the lot without it. When I asked her about it, she immediately apologized and had a look of embarrassment or fear as if that was something that she should not have forgotten.

Please let me know if I was supposed to get a full tank of gas with the car or this is something that does not happen with Hyundai. Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    ray78ray78 Member Posts: 27
    I received a full tank of fuel with my new Sonata Limited.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I believe there is a coupon for a free oil change provided by Hyundai in with the manuals. Mine had one.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First realize that practices such as free oil changes and filling the tank are dealer practices, not Hyundai practices in general. The last new Hyundai I bought had a full tank. In fact, they filled it again for me when I brought it in to have a small dent removed that was there when I took delivery (they repaired the dent for free of course). Also, the Hyundai dealer where I take my car for service provides free oil changes every 3750 miles as long as you own the car if you have a major servicing done there (30k, 60k etc.) or buy the car there. But that is the practice of that dealer. Other Hyundai dealers have other practices. I have owned Hondas and Toyotas and they all had a full tank of gas when I drove off the lot, but none of those dealers provided even one free oil change. However, I know of some Honda and Toyota dealers near me who today provide free oil changes under similar conditions of the Hyundai dealer I use for service.
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Try to solicit at least 10 bids via email from dealers in a radius from your locale last week of the month. See which one needs to make a sale.

If financing, check out credit unions, online sources etc for the best rates with your credit rating. All this can add up to $2000 or more over 4-5 years.

Exhaust your efforts there and leave the $25 stuff alone. It makes little sense getting distracted by pennies and leave $2000 or more on the table. Or break you neck with a dealer trying to extract a $25 oil change when a dealer 70 miles north may have coughed up another $700 or more on the sales price. If he knew you existed June 28th or so.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    ktv, I got full tank and free oil change at my dealer. I moved almost immediately after I bought the car, so the free oil change is not good for me as it does not transfer to another dealer.

As to the price, I got 4cyl GLS, automatic, with floor mats, iPod cable, mudguards, and the optional equipment package (the one without sunroof) for 16,700$ OTD in MA.
  • Options
    ktv1969ktv1969 Member Posts: 9
    Geez!

You got a great deal then. I thought I got an OK deal until you posted what you got.

I thought it is standard practice to give the customer a free tank of gas when you take delivery of the car. That why I was surprised that I did not get it.

My salespeson was just an air head. She did not do anything when she gave me the key. She just gave me the key and said here you go. I recall Honda and Toyota would take their time going over the service manual, tire warranty pamphlets, etc.

I probably got a bad salesperson. Great yob on your price.
  • Options
    Well, do not worry too much about your price. You should compare it to others in CA. It can be that fees and taxes are higher there than in MA. Also, I payed in cash, and if you do that, many dealers will go lower than if you took a loan.

As far as my price goes, I have made a deal on a Friday, for 17,600$ OTD (I have not payed yet). But over the weekend, I started thinking that this was a bad price. On Monday, I went to another dealer with a check made out to them. I dangled the check in front of them, and they proposed 16,663$. I went out, called the other dealer, and told them that I can only pay 16,700$ for my car. To my surprise they agreed without any argument. I guess they knew that I am slipping away, and my delivery was scheduled for 3:00pm. :) This was the first time I have pulled something like this off, but it taught me something about buying cars.

It sounds as if you got a bad dealership. If you ever get any survey, you should make it clear. As far as I understand, dealers that score high on customer satisfaction get extra incentives from Hyundai. If your dealer did not do a good job, they should not get the incentives.
  • Options
    I don't quite understand your post. If I can get free oil changes for life from a car dealer because that is their policy, and I also get a great price on the car there, that is only to my benefit. Since oil changes cost at least $25, sometimes more, that's at least $50 a year benefit to me, or several hundred dollars over the life of the car (I am into Year 6 on my Hyundai now). I expended no effort to get the free oil changes, as it was the dealer's standard policy.

If I can get the same price from two dealers and one offers me free oil changes every 3750 miles and one does not, everything else being equal I'd take the free oil changes. With pricing being very competitive, sometimes it comes down to other reasons to buy a car from a particular dealer.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Also, I payed in cash, and if you do that, many dealers will go lower than if you took a loan.

That type of thinking goes back at least 40 years.

Dealers don't care whether they get cash or if the car is financed. The money is the same. In fact most dealers who "help in the financing" get a piece of the finance charges.

For this reason, most dealers prefer financing over cash. They just keep playing the "cash price" game with those who think they will get a better price for "cash."
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    A dealer in a Chicago suburb is advertising $5000 off MSRP for any Sonata in stock. This would be even better than invoice minus rebates but I think there are deals being made even bettern than that. Check Fitzmall.com prices for a comparison.
  • Options
    mhtnmhtn Member Posts: 21
    I just cut and paste the ad here for you...

"North Freeway Hyundai's 2 for 1 Sale worked so well it's back AND we've made it even better!!

Now you don't have to be a Hyundai owner and we're talking 2009s, not 2008s. Buy any new 2009 Hyundai Sonata and get a new 2009 Hyundai Accent for $1.00. That's not a misprint; One US Dollar!

Really, that's it. No tricks. As a matter of fact here's the fine print: When you purchase any new 2009 Hyundai Sonata at Dealer’s list price, you will receive a new 2009 Hyundai Accent (Dealer List Price $10,960.00) for $1. The customer is responsible for all fees and taxes on both vehicles (by the way, that’s less than $600 on the Accent).

You can finance with us, your own bank or pay cash; we don't care! You can trade in a car! You don't have to own a Hyundai! You substitute the Accent for an Elantra, just pay the difference.

Offer is valid while supplies last or June 30th, 2009 whichever comes first. There are a limited number of these models remaining in inventory, so hurry!

Go to www.HoustonHyundai.com for complete details. There won't be anything there that you won't like.

Sincerely,

(I deleted his name here because of the policy)

Certified Sales Professional

North Freeway Hyundai

www.nfhyundai.com"

And here the info for Champion Hyundai

Champion Hyundai
    12211 Gulf Freeway
    Houston, TX 77034

Here is the quote he gave me a while back (1/15/09)

2009 Sonata GLS Auto
    MSRP: $20,285
    Discount: $1,730
    MFG Rebate: $2,000
    Owner Loyalty Rebate: $1,500
    Price: $15,055 plus TT&L

DriveOut: $16,225 including TT&L

If you don't own a Hyundai, the owner loyalty rebate may not apply. But the manufacture rebate is $3000 now instead of $2000, so you should be able to get the Sonata at this price or just a little bit more.
  • Options
    I think one catch is "Dealer list price". That could be anything +/- MSRP. I'm assuming they mean MSRP. I believe they would not discount the car and they would keep any rebates. It is still a great deal unless the dealer fee is really high and dealer add-ons like paint sealcoat, nitrogen filled tires, etc are significant. If that's the case you would really have to look at the numbers but they did qualify limited quantities so it may be more of a gimmick to get people in the door.

If they can get twenty people to come in and only do a couple of the advertised deals but sell cars to many of the rest it worked for them.
  • Options
    billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    I would have bit for this 6 weeks ago, if Houston wasn't half way accross the country; my 19 year old son's car is a 1991 with 218K miles on it.... he'd have had a heart attack if we gave him a brand new car and said he had to pay the difference (about $3500) from what we paid.... he'd have been "Can I go pick out the color? And if I pay for extra options, can I get them, too?"
  • Options
    Why you ask?
    1. I hate hubcaps with a passion and want rims. Yes I can get a GLS then pay for rims but don't want the hassle.

Price I was quoted was. $17,138
    My understanding is that this is just the 3k off as I do not qualify for the other discounts.
    I am thinking this is a good price but want to hear other opinions so please fire away.
  • Options
    still waiting
    $17138 for an SE
    good price or can I get them to drop more
    I only qualify for 3K off
  • Options
    You're still waiting because the amount of information you provide is so meager that it's difficult to offer you an opinion. Take the time to provide some details and maybe someone will take the time to reply.

For example:
    MSRP of car
    Is it auto or manual tranny
    any options at all
    where are you located......actual market prices differ by region
  • Options
    Quoted $17,138.00
    MSRP $22,840.00
    Automatic
    no additional options
    Located in NJ
  • Options
    Fitzmall in Maryland is offering same vehicle for about $200 cheaper. They are very competitive in mid east coast area. So, IMO, you are getting a very good price but it may be possible to get another $200-400 off if you really want to fight for it. If the car is the exact color you want and if you need it soon I would shoot for a couple of hundred off and make the deal. If not, play hardball and offer them $400-500 less and see what happens.

Either way, like I said, I think you are getting a great price.
  • Options
    bread27bread27 Member Posts: 5
    I requested a quote from all 3 local Hyundai dealerships for a base 2009 Sonata GLS (automatic, no options) through the Edmunds website. I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance as to whether these offers seem reasonable. Compared to some of the messages I've read here already they don't feel great, but given that I'm in a relatively isolated part of the country I'm afraid I may not have a lot of options.

Dealer 1: ~$16,100 (after $3k rebate; includes destination; excludes TTL)
    Dealer 2: ~$16,400 (same as above)
    Dealer 3: Mentioned an incorrect (inflated) invoice price, and then quoted me $16,400. I informed him that the other two dealers in the area have already quoted me something less, and he responded that if I could prove that with emails, then they'd beat it.

The first one comes in very close to Edmunds' TMV estimate.

What do you guys think? It looks like some others here have been able to get better deals, but given that the dealers are already really close in price, I'm not sure how much leverage I have. Any thoughts or strategies?

Thanks!
  • Options
    $5700 off MSRP is a great price.

Try Towne Hyundai in Denville--maybe that's where you got that price. Towne unfortunately no longer lists internet pricing on its website, you have to call them. In the last couple years, Towne's prices were usually better, car for car, than Fitzmall's prices.
  • Options
    First off not sure where you are so its hard to guide you other than saying its not a horrible price. Its going to depend on what they are charging for destination. Do I still think you have room to go down... Well Yes I do but it will all depend again on what the destination charge is.
  • Options
    quote was from denville :D
    I also got a quote from Hackettstown which was $100 more

Right now I am trying to see who will throw in mats, mud guards and cargo net for that price and then I am ready to sign the papers
  • Options
    Not sure you're using the right terminology here when you say the price depends on destination charge. Destination charges are listed on the window sticker and included in MSRP. They are usually(I'm pretty sure it's always but not positive) the same amount anywhere in the US.

Maybe you mean "dealer fees" or "dealer admin chgs". These are controlled by set limits in many states while in other states it's buyer beware......dealers can charge what they want.
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    mike,you could probably do much better price wise if you got the gls model instead.there are alot of people who have paid between $15,000.00-$16,000.00 for the sonata gls with the $3000.00 rebate included in that figure.
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    Yes, they offered the first oil change free and the tank was full.
  • Options
    jimmyc3jimmyc3 Member Posts: 8
    sounds like you and others are familiar with towne hyundai and hackettstown hyundai. i want to buy an 09 sonata gls when i turn in my leased 06 sonata. hackettstown hyundai is now offering a new incentive. buy a new 09 sonata gls, auto. trans., 4 cyl., for: $14,988. small print says "price includes $3000 consumer rebate and $500 loyalty rebate. the ad also says FOR CURRENT LEASEES "hackettstown hyundai pays you $500 per month, in lieu of rebates, by reloadable cash debit card for 6 months."

CAN ANYONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS DEAL. HELP :confuse: ">
  • Options
    Thanks for the response & terminology clarification. If it's helpful to anyone, the destination fee is $695 for the GLS, regardless of which of the 3 dealers I deal with in town.

I spoke over the phone with one of the dealers again (dealer #1 in my original post). Basically, they're offering ~$5,200 off MSRP (after rebate, before TTL and destination fee) for any GLS. So for a base level GLS (with no mats or mud guards), it works out to $19.9 - $5.2 = $14.7, or about $15,400 after destination fee. We'll see if that's how it works out in-person, but if it does, I'd feel ok about that deal.
  • Options
    Problem is the hassle of changing out the tires and getting new rims as I hate hubcaps. I would have to get the pop equip package also if I got a GLS so for me the better deal would be to go with the SE and not have to worry about taking the car to a shop and getting new rims
  • Options
    I don't know about Hackettstown but it sound like it's Hyundai's national/regional advertising program. Instead of getting $3K rebate the buyer can opt for $500 cash back per month for six months. To me, that doesn't seem very smart except in an unusual circumstance where financial obligations will disappear within those six months and income is expected to increase.

I'd take the $3K up front and save the finance charges on that $3K. It's just marketing.
  • Options
    Mike, my 2 man business bought an '07 Sonata in Feb. '07 from Towne. There was no BS...everything was agreed upon before we drove the 100 miles from CT to take delivery. After our purchase seven other people we know also bought from Towne. (You can mention dealership names, just not suppopsed to mention sales people names, otherwise I'd mention our salesman.)

They were great to deal with: car was ready when we got there. No more than a half hour signing papers, review of the car and warranty by salesman, general chit chat, etc.

You won't go wrong if you buy from Towne.
  • Options
    thanks for the reply. good point about saving on the financing charges on the $3k rebate. the only problem is, the way the ad was worded it sounds like for current leasees, they don't have the option of taking that $3k upfront. sounds like they only have the option of the $500 cash back a month for 6 months.
  • Options
    i agree about the guys at towne hyundai. they're great. i had a good experience there.
    just wish i was convinced that hyundais are reliable. i'm having my doubts about buying a new sonata after i turn in my leased 06 sonata, because i've struggled with those annoying premature rear brake problems (squealing and rusting and quick and uneven wear -- at 20k miles and again at 33K miles).
  • Options
    Check it out, the $3K is a general rebate available to anyone. I'd also check to see if the loyalty rebate is available to leasees. I think it should, but that's only my opinion. A good dealer should be able to work for you on this.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    My '05 and my partners '07 haven't had any such problems here in CT, where there's a lot of stuff put on the roads in the winter.

We're about 14 miles inland from Long Island Sound. Are you nearer to salt water? Maybe that makes a difference. ???? Duh, I'm just fishing.
  • Options
  • Options
    a1b1c1a1b1c1 Member Posts: 1
    What dealer in VA is this... i might as well go and buy from them.... as I am being quoted 21500 + TTL for 09 Sonata V6 + Accessory (Bluetooth + Mats, Nets, etc.) no Navigation...in NJ
  • Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    My wife brought our 06 gls in for service the other day and she was approached by a salesman who said they wanted cars like ours for trade-ins. The car has low mileage and is in perfect condition. She told him we would consider a new Sonata if he could do a deal like our car in trade and $3000 for a similar car. His answer was it could be done. I have not spoken to him yet but doubt this is possible. Are they really bargaining this hard these days.
  • Options
    Another data point for people who are wondering what others are paying...

We just purchased a GLS 4 cylinder, with the popular equipment package, cargo mat, and floor mats for $16.2k before doc fee & TTL. That's ~$300 less than the Edmunds TMV for this car, and ~$5,200 under MSRP (pre-$3k rebate).

The hardest part was finding the car... it was really difficult finding a GLS with the popular equipment package around here. Given that, I assume the dealership didn't really want to give it away for nothing. We feel pretty satisfied with the price.

And the car is beautiful.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Realize that the TMV is just an "average" and includes the purchase prices for all the little old ladies and others, not knowing any better, who paid the full MSRP. So it tends to be overstated for the savvy buyer.

I paid $16K (including doc and tags) several months ago for the exact same car from Lester Glenn in Toms River, NJ (who, BTW, also claim to be the #1 Hyundai dealer in the country). Today a buyer can get the same car from them for around $15K.

But, like you, I'm quite happy with my purchase....as you'll always find someone who paid less...as well as someone who paid more.
  • Options
    Agreed & understood. I was hoping to get it for a little bit less, but I didn't have much choice: Within a 100 mile radius, only one dealership -- the one from which we bought -- had GLS's with the equipment package, and they only had 2. There are two other dealers in the area, but in total the two of them have ~20 Sonatas, and none were GLS's with the equipment package.

I enjoy living in the west, but that's one bad thing: everything is so spaced out that if you can't find exactly what you want in your area, it's not like you can just drive 20-30 minutes to the next large city. :confuse:
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who is considering purchasing a Hyundai or Kia or have purchased one this year. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 30, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    samir1010samir1010 Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking at buying a 2009 Hyundai Sonata for my parents this week. To be more specific, I'd like a GLS 4cyl Auto with Popular Equip Package, Cargo and Floor Mats. After building the vehicle online I'm looking at $18425 which includes destination charge and taking the 3k rebate into account. What can I realisticly expect to pay for this vehicle when I'm at the dealership. I'm reading about people who are paying $15k out the door for this vehicle with the same options. Sounds like a great price but doesn't really sound too realistic. Any help or advice can be appreciated before I walk into the lion's den.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    This really is going to depend on what region you are in but I would estimate between between 15K and 16K
  • Options
    If you qualify only for the $3000 rebate, $15k OTD is definitely not realistic. If you have seen $15k OTD it's for a stripped car with lots of rebates and low taxes and fees. IMO $5k off list including rebate for the car is a good deal, if not great deal, and you might set that as a ceiling. You can start lower and go up if you want to. Be sure to check with multiple dealers, even if they are some distance from you.
  • Options
    samir1010samir1010 Member Posts: 13
    I'm in Texas. Does anyone know how low the dealers will go here for the type of Sonata I'm looking for? So, I guess 5k below list is a good OTD price. Does pretty much everyone agree or again am I aiming too low? If I get 5k OTD below msrp wouldn't that mean that I'm really getting the car for about 6300 below MSRP, then adding tax, doc, title? Thanks again...Just a novice here.
  • Options
    $5000 off MSRP before taxes and fees. Again, you can start lower. You can always come up. Also, make sure they don't hit you with a ridiculously high fee for "documentation" etc. (That may not be legal in TX, I don't know.)

While in Austin last week I saw an ad for Capitol Hyundai (Kyle) saying they would beat any advertised Hyundai deal by at least $1000 or give you the car. If you are anywhere close to Austin it might be worth checking the ads, then seeing if Capitol will beat the lowest price by $1000. My FIL just bought a 2009 Limited there, is very happy with the car.