Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I hear you, but I think you may underestimate the time it takes to make changes in automobile models. The amount and types of changes in the 2004 Mazda6 were both decided many months ago, back when the same regime that decided to build stripper automatic 4 cylinders was in charge.

2004 configurations and running changes were probably decided no later than January. It would be very difficult to make significant changes in the past month or so without substantially delaying the 2004 models.
  • Options
    bostongiobostongio Member Posts: 52
    I really don't understand the fascination with sales numbers. All it means is that you're more a part of the herd mentality, the larger your numbers are. Yes, I very much want Mazda to reach its target sales goals for NA this year, and in many years to come for this car. But if they don't quite get there this year, as long as they're close, they'll be happy enough.

Think of it like a baseball team. This is a rebuilding year for Mazda with their sedan segment. They've actually been in a rebuilding phase for awhile now, and this is another chunk of the puzzle. Give the Mazda6 some time for folks to give Mazda another try. I've owned Mazdas in the past, and will be a buyer of a 2004 model year Mazda6 when they become available.

Trust me, I'd much rather have a car that people don't instantly recognize than one where you can't drive a mile down the road without seeing a half dozen of them. That actually influences my purchasing decision a bit.
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Here's one to drive the salesfolks crazy.
    A guy who works at my company is a little off-center and needed a new car. He drove his old one 100 year or so, and it just died.

So he goes to the lot (I want to say Honda or Toyota, but I'm not sure) and wants a four-door, four cyl car with NOTHING.

NOTHING: no leather, no a/c, no STEREO, no cruise, no power windows, locks, no nothing.
    The dealer tells him they don't sell them that way. But finds him a 4-door with no sunroof, cloth and no power locks or windows... but it still has A/C and cruise and a stereo and this guy is all upset about it.

He's not being cheap, he just wants a car to drive him from place to place (lives outside transit service area). The dealer says, "We'll, you can just NOT USE the A/c, Cruise and Stereo"

Which sounds like a good solution, but this work guy just can't deal with it, and ends up shopping for a used car without these "conviences"

I'm sure he's one in a million, but it illustrates that Mazda, or anyone else out there, won't be able to make vehicles that work for everyone.
  • Options
    1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    Anyone have them? Mazdas tend to sell better in Canada than the US (no, we're just as stupid here as in the US but gas prices are higher so we're less likely to go for supersizing)

The 6 has been on sale since late Jan 03 (as 2004 models) and I've seen quite a few on the road in Ottawa. Not enough to feel like I'm part of the herd, though.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    cookie - Cars these days are produced for the masses. A one in a million customer does not seem to be in the masses. Especially the Japanese cars, they have a reputation for selling you the car of your dreams, as long as it's been produced and is already on the lot. :)
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Or maybe it's the cold weather up there that tends to make things shrink?
  • Options
    irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Stranger: "What kind of car is that?"
    Me: "It's a Mazda 6."
    Stranger: "It doesn't look very big."
    Me: "It's a bit smaller than other family sedans."
    Stranger: "Is it fast?"
    Me: "Not extremely. But it's fast enough."
    Stranger: "So you got it because it looks cool?"

additions

Stranger: "So you got it very cheap compared to Accord/Camry?"
    You: "Naah, I paid almost the same"
    Stranger: "Will hold it's value well"
    You: "Being a Mazda, the depreciation will be slightly better than most American brands"
    Stranger: "You must work Mazda then"
    You: "-"
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Mazda had a 6 going around a twisty road talking about its 5 star crash rating and 0% finacing for 4 years for a limited time(option packaged cars not included.) Anybody notice how 6 sales went up after Mazda put the commercial on about how the the 6 competitors weren't on a Top Ten List? Sales went up dramtically.

Hard to believe the Grand Am is selling that good.

About the TSX I would not buy one: the styling is nice put people are going to Acura dealers and paying 27K at MSRP. I saw it on one of the Edmunds Boards here. Why would you spend 27K when you get a 6 for probably 17K or a Passat for 20K? An Accord Coupe you can proably get at 19K.

About the Burger King, Wendys stuff I don't even eat that stuff that much. The last time I had Wendy's was like 3 weeks ago.

To me Mazda just messed the launch of the car up. Sales have been up every month. If Mazda sells 60K it would be respectable. I don't think Honda is going to sell 400,000 Accords as they planned. They'll proably sell 350,000-360,000 this year. The reccession kind of has hurt car sales all around.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Well I'm one of those formerly die-hard Camry / Accord fan, having owned a '95 Camry (3 years) & a Acura CL (also 3 years) w/ an Olds Intrigue in between for 18 months.

And I had pretty definite plans to stick to either Toyota/Honda & maybe Nissan families (including Lexus/Acura/Infiniti).

I'm one to always give all the players a chance, and I'm glad I gave the Mz6 a shot. As I prefer to drive something a little different [special], than the kazillon Cam/Cords I see everywhere. Which is why we opt for the Sport package, and taking it one step further trying black, which also has not been nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

I too, don't think the Mz6 is that much smaller than the Accord, and it does seems that the Camry is slightly bigger, but not that much.

I think it is simply going to take some time for the Mz6 to catch on here in NA. Face it there are so many choices available, people get tired of looking and tend to go for either their proven areas; America made or Toyota/Honda. Now after time, when the 6 trends to be as reliable as a Cam/Cord then the shift may happen.

Luckily my wife was able to find what she like, I would have had to wait for the '04, then search or ordered my setup. Which buys me some time to look at the RX-8, or the new TL. They (Mazda) needs to streamline the choices, load up both the i & s, with choice of cloth/leather.
  • Options
    1998-2001: Get out of bankruptcy, make profits and have sales go up: did that.
    2002+ Get young people attracted to Mazda. Done that with the Protege 5. I have to Mazda kudo's for actually marketing a product right: The Pro 5 is getting buyers of all ages in there and the young people too.

Get the 6 to be a successful seller: working on that but will take time.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    *The Grand Am will outsell the Mazda6 2-to-1 this year. Now that's something to think about.*

Okay, I thought about it --so what? It isn't a new car, the 6 is. The last time I was in a Pontiac it had the worst ride of any car ever, hopped badly at highway speeds. Even the owner complained about it.

Some people will buy anything, some buy what their parents bought, others don't want the extras, some don't like high-tech styling (i.e. Grand Am).

Astin Martin is making only 350 of their new car for export to the States, does that make it a failure? Numbers are misleading.

Some posts here make the MZ6 look like the Edsel. Those too young to know what an Edsel is, it was a huge failure for Ford. The middle-market didn't need another new car, especially one that ugly.

fowler3
  • Options
    scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Maybe the 6 will be like the TV show Seinfeld? It was almost cancelled at the beginning due to low ratings, but it eventually became a classic.

I still have the 6 on my short list of cars I might buy, along with the Accord coupe, Camry SE, Altima and Pontiac Vibe (yes, I said Vibe. I like it and might opt for something more versatile).

The reason the 6 got my attention:

1. Excellent reviews, both from pros and consumers.
    2. Slightly lower price than the others (except the Vibe).
    3. Nice looking car (but only with the spoiler).
    4. 4 year warranty with roadside assistance and loaner cars.
    5. Great crash test results. My insurance would be lowest with a 6 compared to the others.

Reasons why I might not buy one:

1. I've owned a Civic for the last 7 years and the 6 does not seem to be that much bigger inside. I think for my next car I might want something more drastically different than the Civic... if not, I could just spruce up my Civic and save a bunch of money.

2. It does concern me that there are not more 6's on the road. What if I need parts in the future? Will they be more expensive or harder to find because the 6 is not well known? I think Mazda should slash prices... offer rebates AND 0% financing just to get some attention and move more 6's off dealer lots and on to highways where more people can see them.

But after test driving a 6 I can see that it, like Seinfeld, is a classic just waiting to find an approving audience.
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Did anyone get the sense from this article that "We should not buy the 6 and wait for the Ford derivatives cause they'll be even better, have more leg room and offer AWD." This may drive some people away from the 6. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    I only care about 6 sales because I want to make sure they'll come out with the hatchback with enough of a range of models that I'll be able to get a 4-cyl manual with SAB/SAC and ABS. (If I have to pay for everything else I don't really need, I'll do it, although I'll be irked every time I look up at the $700 moonroof I'll never use.)
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    saw one today.
    For people who have not seen it, it is the same green u see on the new Altimas everywhere....EXACT.

I think I like the sage green on the MPV better. That would have been much better.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    lapis blue

(wait that's 2 words)
  • Options
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Steel Grey Metallic. There is no other!!!
  • Options
    thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Can someone tell me Mazda's logic to offer 0% on only non-sport package models? The package is only $900! Why alienate those folks who want to get a 6 (and who may be forced to get the Sport-equipped car because they want a particular color --me, a Speed Yellow--) and have no other choice? The only yellow the dealer has is a 6s Sport. If I can't have a deal given to other buyers, I may not buy the darn car.
    Same thing with the $1000 loyal Mazda incentive: only to non-Sport package cars. What BS!
  • Options
    And, it's not like the 6 is in hot demand...
    This yellow s has been on the dealer's lot since so long (I can tell: the MSRP said $21,100, not the raised sticker of $21,220).
  • Options
    find a dealer that's willing to deal then :P
  • Options
    everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    Lots of 6i's everywhere, not too many s's...incentives won't fix this one, why can't I get the zoom-zoom?

Sepang green? didn't Accord have this color ten years ago? Still awful.

Where's the titanium gray I heard so much about?
  • Options
    http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=5565

This guy seems to be a good choice, he's been at Mazda since their glory days in the early 90's.

hopefully he'll do a better job
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "The cabin in this four-seat sedan is rather roomy. Good leg, head and arm room guaranteed to be even better when Ford stretches the platform on those 10 derivatives"

YES! All you folks who think the interior of the 6 is small HAVE NOT SAT IN ONE. It's as big as the Accord and Camry.
  • Options
    "Though one of the best cars Mazda ever has produced, it hasn't set the world on fire. The reason: Mazda misjudged the market"

Yep, clueless marketing and product planners.
  • Options
    Sorry, but it has been a huge success in the majority of the planet. The USA is the problem. Accords, Camarys, Burger King, and 44" waists. Mazda sales and profits are way up from a global perspective.

Mark.
  • Options
    joe2617joe2617 Member Posts: 88
    The reason the incentives are only on the non-sport pkg. cars is because Dealers can't get enough sport pkg. cars and the non-sport pkg. cars aren't selling. Dealers have not been able to order ANY sport pkg. cars since the begining of May and it looks like they won't be able to get any more until the 2004 models come out. Mazda blames this on not being able to get the 17 inch alloys.
  • Options
    Glideslopes said: ***Sorry, but it has been a huge success in the majority of the planet. The USA is the problem. Accords, Camarys, Burger King, and 44" waists. Mazda sales and profits are way up from a global perspective.***

I beg to differ. Mazda NA marketed this car so poorly and the demand and models produced were badly misjudged by Mazda NA.

If Mazda NA had done the worldwide marketing and decided what configurations were to be built in the rest of the world, I am QUITE sure the car would just as much a disappointment to Mazda of Japan as it has been to The Ford Motor Company and Mazda dealers in the USA.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Took the Caddy CTS out for a spin.
    This is one buttoned down car, with an excellent body structure and feel to it.
    It drove and felt much better than I imagined.
    I still have to drive the Mazda 6, the maruader, accord and a few others, but I really feel the CTS is for me.
  • Options
    we all say the same thing when we test the first new car on our shopping list :-)
  • Options
    Nah.

Some of us actually say What the heck was *I* thinking?

I still remember the first time I drove the new, improved Crown Victoria. It was embarassing. The salesguy was along, I just wanted to quit driving, let him drive it back, and get in my old car. Quick. The Queen Mary has better handling, I would think.

The Mazda6, which I have driven several times, did NOT give me THAT reaction!
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Stranger: "It doesn't look very big."
    Me: "It's a bit smaller than other family sedans."
    (a good thing I think, some cars are too big)
    Stranger: "Is it fast?"
    (it's not a Mustang or Supra)
    ------------
    I don't give a rat's @ what a complete stranger thinks. And, the whole "it's too small" is propaganda from other car salesmen.

It wasn't meant to knock Camry off the #1 chart, so why the "it's not selling" and "disappointment" BS?

If you love your Camcord, do so and let others enjoy their non-Camcords.
  • Options
    Would that be an AMC Camcord? And didn't those come in four wheel drive, I think they were called Eagles! :)
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    *For people who have not seen it, it is the same green u see on the new Altimas everywhere....EXACT.*

Wrong, Chikoo, the Altima's green is darker and doesn't have the silver mica. Sepang is a little darker than the Sage Green on the MPV, but I'm not too sure it would look good on the MZ6. Jaguar has a light green similar to Sage and it doesn't do much for the Jag, in fact, it looks bland.

fowler3
  • Options
    ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    The 6 is definitely smaller when compared to Camry or Accord, especially in the backseat. But as a driver, I could care less. I think the Accord has grown too big making it hard to maneuver in the parking lot, but then, I'm used to drive a Civic.
  • Options
    The CTS needs to have the new motor available with the manual tranny.

In the meantime, the 6 is a nice low priced substitute.
  • Options
    adam72adam72 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys and girls,

I am adam72 and from Singapore. Anyone owns a Mazda 6 2.0L here?
  • Options
    I'll take the Gremlin with the 390 4-Speed. Talk about having a death grip on the steering wheel!!!

Mark.
  • Options
    I owned a 71 AMC Gremlin with the 232 straight six and automatic.

Now I want a Mazda6 hatch.

What that says about the Mazda6 or me I am not quite sure!
  • Options
    there are no 2.0L MZ6 sold in the USA.
    It starts with the 2.3L (i) and 3.0L(s).
    Please share ur experience with driving a 2.0L MZ6.
    It will be new knowledge for us.
  • Options
    buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    This Mazda6 board used to be remarkably upbeat about the 6. Now, it's just a buncha doomsayers predicting the car's demise. (I'm guilty of that negativism myself.) The 6 is a great car. It just needs simpler options packages and better marketing of the 4-cyl model.
  • Options
    I'm glad you liked the Caddy. How was the headroom? My brother is very tall in the body and loved the drive of the car, but his head was all over the headliner. He had to tilt his head very far over to the side to get in and out (he actually has more headroom in my MZ6).

About two years ago when I was first considering what I might replace the Impala with I decided to try the Buick Rendezvous (sp?). I kinda liked the looks of it and I thought it would be great for family vacations and camping.
    So the hubby and I went to drive one. OH MY.... it was terrible. I felt like I was going to tip over. It had NO< NO< NO< pick up (what are they thinking with that low hp engine??) and it was just WAY too expensive for the type of car you were getting. Was it in my price range? yes. But would I pay $28,000 for that car? NEVER!

Always test drive. It's amazing what you can learn in about 10 minutes time.
  • Options
    barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    "Now, it's just a buncha doomsayers predicting the car's demise. (I'm guilty of that negativism myself.) The 6 is a great car"

It *is* a great car. Last months sales in NA are up and the sales in other parts of the world are great.

I bought one even though the options weren't exactly perfect. Why? The car is fun to drive, doesn't cost a fortune and should be pretty reliable.

If/when Mazda NA gets the marketing right things will pick up. Positive word of mouth from owners will also do wonders (but that will take a few years).
  • Options
    I did notice on the latest TV ad the 6 is now shown without the sports package and they use the lapis blue (which looks great on TV) and it was on game Four of the NBA Finals. That's pretty good play.

I still wish they'd show the car more. It seems like you only get little glimpses of it.
  • Options
    As far as Mazda NA with the marketing and everything its still selling ok for a car that has bad option packages.

As far as Ford puttimg AWD and more room on one of their own cars in the future I really don't care for the styling of most American Cars so I probably would not buy it. Some American Cars I like not alot though.

As far as the Accord's room is concerned there is excess room that is not needed. I do think the car has grown to big. Last generation had enough room in it. The current one is too big.

As far as people predicting the 6's demise you should see the Pontiac Grand Prix board. GM loyalists are bickering on that board and their very upset about the quality of interior materials(or lack there of), cheap fabric on the seats, lack of back seat room, and deletion of features that came standard on the GP for the 97 model year, and all this without cutting the cost of MSRP of the car. 01-02 seemed to be the years GM deleted alot of standard features on the Grand Prix. The deleting got worse for the 04 model year it sounds like.

Finally, I saw 2 6's in a pan of 3 minutes yesterday: I was on my way to work and I saw a black 6 in a company parking lot. I get into work and enter the parking lot and I saw a silver 6. n New Jersey seems to be doing ok with te selling of the 6. The other day I went out and saw 3 Protege 5's in a span of a few mintes. Went back out in hour later and saw 1 more Protege 5.
  • Options
    seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    Anyone know when the 04 models might arrive at dealerships? I know the Mazda6 arrived late october/early november last year, but it was first year introduction, I hope the 04 will come a bit earlier. When do other new model year Mazdas arrive at dealerships? September?

I hope now that Mazda had a few months of sales data to analyze, such as which option combos are popular and which are not, that they can produce the appropriate configurations to meet the demand better.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The last generation Accord was 102 cubic ft. and the current is 103, so it was not much smaller. Maybe you mean the 94-97 models which were about 96 cubic ft, and about the size of the 6.

I like the size of the 6 but I don't think the Accord feels too much bigger - I think it actually has a tighter turning circle than the 6.

The wagon is what I want. It will have much more room than any Accord.
  • Options
    joe2617joe2617 Member Posts: 88
    Mazda is always behind other manufacturers releasing the next model. The RX-8 will be early (late July)but look for the 2004 Mazda6 in late September,early November. Then the rest of Mazda's line up later. Usually the last to come out is the Miata (January).
  • Options
    My local dealer has 3 in stock. In fact, I test drove a 6s AT a couple weeks ago. The sales guy told me NOT to worry about break-in; I drove the heck out of it. Sweet!
    BTW, the color is much lighter than the Altima green. Not much personality, IMO. I want the Speed Yellow, to really turn heads.