Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G37 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    I looked up the terms of the rebate at Edmunds. You can search google with "edmunds incentives" to find it. It seems as if it's at the dealer's discretion by the way they word it.

I'd suggest walking, or at least threatening to, and to start again. Hopefully, it will pay off. You may be able to negotiate for some free maintainance or accessories. Your present deal isn't bad, yet like you, I don't like being left with a sour taste. Hang in there!

You don't say how far they have to go to get the car. There is expense in that if out of town. It's always best to negotiate when you know it's on their own lot.
  • Options
    cxs410cxs410 Member Posts: 5
    $41,995

They are also paying off the remaining $1500.00 on my current lease.

To reiterate. G37-Sport, Nav, Premium, Sport
    $1000.00 down
    $596 a month
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    G37 sport is a 6mt, not a journey with the sport pack on it - so that is what we are talking about.

$41,995 is full MSRP on the 6mt car with those options, you need to be around $38,285 (invoice) or a little more. They are not paying anything off for you on your current lease you are paying for it yourself with that high cap cost and really high payment. My G37 tech/nav/premium/net/splash/mat (really loaded :D) has a base payment under $500 a month - and the lease terms were worse when I got mine in Jan than they are now.

Dennis
  • Options
    cxs410cxs410 Member Posts: 5
    Dwynne,

I'm confused when I quote this car on Cars Direct I get a price of $40,720. Where will I be able to get a more accurate invoice price?
  • Options
    waltazwaltaz Member Posts: 163
    just go to Edmunds.com and spec it out. Very accurate.
  • Options
    lbsimonlbsimon Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar experience, but with a happy end. I just bought a G35x, with
    - Premium,
    - Nav,
    - wood trim,
    - cargo net,
    - splash guards.

Picking it up this Thurday. MSRP $40,175, invoice $36,685 (destination included). A quote by email was $36,905, $220 over the invoice.

We started with the my trade-in. They offered $7500. I asked $10,000. They said no. I thanked them for their time and stood up to leave for another dealership. They said $10K was accepted.

So since I already agreed with the quote on a new car, they shook my hand and congratulated me with the deal. I said - not so fast, give me my $500 rebate (I had a printout from Edmunds). They said no, the rebate was a part of the quote. I thanked them for their time and stood up to leave for another dealership. They said the $500 was mine. So no, do not accept that crap about the rebate built into the price.

So as a result I got the deal at $36,405 -- $300 below invoice. Of course I had to pay $300 doc fee, but they told me about that in advance on the phone, plus the tax, title, registration, but that's beyond the point.

All in all, the experience was more or less decent, under two hours total. The dealership is in Boston area, Infiniti of Norwood.
  • Options
    madermumadermu Member Posts: 1
    thanks!!
  • Options
    elcharro1elcharro1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm currently working with dealer on the following deal:
    2008 G35 Journey Exterior Color: Platinum Graphite and Interior Color: Graphite Leather / Wash Aluminum that comes with the Premium Package, Navigation Package and Sport Package. I told the dealer I was willing to pay $34,950 for the vehicle. The would depend if they give me $17,800 on my trade. In addition, I told him I'm looking for a OTD price. I'll keep you guys posted if the deal goes through!
  • Options
    I use carsdirect all the time and find it to be spot on - it also makes you select things that are required. Like you have to select the premium pack to get the nav pack. Most sites do not do that which could lead someone to think they could buy a car equipped that way. Edmunds and KBB prices should match if you equip them the same.

Keep in mind Infiniti raised prices as much as $250 at the end of January. If a car you are looking at was made before then, then MSRP and invoice showing online NOW will be off. If you look at a car made from Feb on then it should be correct.

Dennis
  • Options
    Google:

edmunds incentives

and click on the first link that comes up, then click on Infiniti and then one of the sedan models.

Dennis
  • Options
    jeffmo2334jeffmo2334 Member Posts: 23
    That really stinks, but it might be hard on you if you did not explicitly discuss whether their offer included the rebate or not. Lots of dealers I talked with already "included" the rebate in their offer price. It might be a misunderstanding, with them assuming that was included in their offer, and you assuming it's not. If that was the case, then I don't think you were "conned", it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Now if you already discussed this, and then they changed the deal when you got in, then I agree that is shady. If the contract you signed was in fact changed after you signed it, then that is bogus. I think they need to honor the contract that was signed, right?

I worried about the same thing on my deal. The offer I got was explicitly before rebate, we discussed this issue up front, and the rebate was subtracted as a separate line item on the contract they sent me. However, when I got to the dealer, I saw the price they had on the car, and a note that this "includes all rebates". I was worried they would change the numbers and say that the deal they quoted me included the rebate, but they never did try to do that.

The price you are getting is still $42 below invoice with the rebate, or $458 over invoice before the rebate. Depending on what part of the country you are in, that might still be a pretty good deal. Where are you? Here in Houston, that is better than I could get from anyone, and that is also as good as my best offer in Dallas. I got better than that from San Antonio only because of their unusual pricing scheme and the fact that the car I bought was on the lot >10 weeks. Do you have any better/equivalent offers from other dealers within a reasonable radius of you?

Sorry, dude, but don't let this get in the way of you getting your G, and getting the best deal possible!

Jeff
  • Options
    dugan2kdugan2k Member Posts: 3
    Ibsimon, Happycamry and Jeff

Thank you for getting back to me. We reached an agreement that they would add $200 to the price of my trade in and give me 2 free oil changes in exchange for the rebate issue. So essentially I got a 200 rebate added on the negotiation price whcih put me $242 below invoice after doc fees. This was at INFINITI of NORWOOD outside Boston. Overall I wasn't happy with how I was treated or the buying process by I am excited to get my new G. I do have one more question:

How do you calculate an accurate finance rate? I have used cars.com and edmunds calculators and gotten different numbers on each. Is there a site that anyone would recommend that can provide an accurate number? Thanks again. This is a great board.

Matt
  • Options
    Lease or buy? If lease, go a couple pages back in the leasing thread to find the March money factors.
  • Options
    dugan2kdugan2k Member Posts: 3
    To buy
  • Options
    I usually do it in a spreadsheet or a loan amortization program, but the one on the CapitalOne auto finance page seems to work just fine.

Dennis
  • Options
    happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    Matt,

Your deal now sounds very fair. One nice thing about Infiniti's financing is that it uses simple interest. It's a great deal at present.

When do you get the new ride? I'm 1400 miles past the starting gate and am mostly impressed. Had rattles but they were worked on last weekend and I think it's better.
  • Options
    raghuhackraghuhack Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to buy 2008 Infiniti G35
    x 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A) with the following packages:
    Premium/ Navigation/ Sport and Rear spoiler

I see TMV= $38,858

I live in South Sanfrancisco and would really appreciate if any of you can let me know the best possible Out of door price or the price you have paid.

Thanks,
    Rag
  • Options
    Start at Invoice, including Destination, then go $500 OFF that for the current rebate. So Invoice minus $500. Go for that as the selling price. If it ends up a couple hundred, no more, above that, that's a good deal. And tell them you won't pay for their dealer-added protection/accessory package, and you expect them to throw that in. They likely will.

Find the invoice on Edmunds by spec'ing out what you want.
  • Options
    asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    (1) To decide between Infiniti G35 v. Lexus GS 350
    (2) Also, if Infiniti, does Infiniti promote/subsidize purchase or lease?
    (3) What is best deal I can get in Southern California.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    1) Ask which one in an Infiniti forum and I can bet the answer you get. Go ask in a Lexus forum and see if the answer is not the opposite. To me, these are completely different cars - the GS is a luxury car the G is a sports/luxury car. The GS base price MSRP is more than you could possibly load up a G to be - even with every option. The same is true for invoice price - over $40k is the minimum GS invoice while a loaded G would be less. Drive them both and see what you like and get that, but the GS will cost you more.

2) Yes - all the time. Surprised you even have to ask this question - just go look on the Infiniti web page - they have discounted loan and lease deals right now.

3) No idea, but it should be around invoice to $500 UNDER invoice since there is $500 customer cash on G sedans right now.

Dennis
  • Options
    silica1silica1 Member Posts: 23
    I am preparing to make offers for a G35 Journey with Premium and Nav Packages. (Unfortunately, splash guards and trunk cargo nets seem to be added to all vehicles I've seen.) When I look for the invoice price for the base G35 Journey, I see two different amounts on the Edmunds and CarsDirect web sites. Does anyone know which one is correct. The difference is more than the recent $250 price increase. The options prices match between the web sites, but the base prices do not. Both sites have my zip code.

Edmunds: $29,709

CarsDirect: $30,424
  • Options
    You have to add the destination charge to the Edmunds price (which is stupid on their part since you have to pay it in all cases).

To ME "invoice" is the invoice price of the car with all options and the destination fee.

The $250 price increase is an "up to" and would be the price increase if your G had every possible option and was a certain model. Most Gs will not have gone up that much. When you pick a car out just write down the sticker options and compare that online to the same car with the same options. If the MSRPs are the same then the invoice shown should be correct. If the car's sticker is lower, then it is a pre-price increase car and you need to adjust the invoice down by around the difference in the MSRPs.

Dennis
  • Options
    aggiebc99aggiebc99 Member Posts: 6
    Since it's been a while since we have bought a car...should we sit down and start by saying we will pay $500 below invoice?? Or is it best for them to give us their 'best' price? I'm looking in the Dallas area, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • Options
    I would not sit down or even go onto any dealer's lot without having the numbers worked out first - or at least close to what I wanted. I have not done an in-dealership haggle in YEARS. Get quotes via the Internet is the best way but you can also use the phone and fax. You want the numbers to include the car, destination, and any dealer doc/prep fees. Then compare them and try to get one or more dealers to get near your price. Once you do, then just show up and inspect and test drive the car, then sign the paperwork.

Dennis
  • Options
    Yep, I use Edmunds to request internet quotes from each local dealer, which gets me contacts at each dealer. Then I use e-mail to communicate back and forth on what I am looking for and exactly what I am offering, using Edmunds and various online forums for my research and backup. They take that to their management, and we start to narrow it down. I can usually get within a couple hundred, which I go after when I'm sitting there. If I have a trade, I don't bring it up until I'm there, which decouples it from the new car negotiation, and I have a very specific number in mind. So I still have some work to do at the dealer, but most of it is done.
  • Options
    winstewinste Member Posts: 6
    Anybody have any experience with the Sams Club auto buying service?
  • Options
    a1s1a1a1s1a1 Member Posts: 25
    Dear All,
    I have come accross a brand new G35 coupe year '07 at a dealership which is 600 miles from where I live. The car has 57 miles, it's a non demo and ordered in the midst of winter by mistake as the dealership tells me. The car is auto with premium package MSRP with destination 37K. No special financing from Nissan on this left over. So the ?s are 1. What should be a good buy out price for this car 2. I know the differences between '08, which is completely a new car versus '07 which is a carry over from '03, but with respect to ride quality, comfort, wind noise, overall noise insulation is '07 a substantially subpar machine than '08. 3. Reliability of these coupes? as I live 100 miles one way from any infiniti dealership 4. Just with respect to the ride and fun I am comparing this car to my '04 Acura TLwith Navi. I know that all these comparisons to a great degree are subjective but any insight into the above as well as any other advise with respect to this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    a1s1a1
    P.S. The acura dealer is also 100 miles away from where I live and the acura had been a very squeaky/rattly car
  • Options
    elcharro1elcharro1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello People ;0)

An Infiniti dealer in Arizona agreed to sell me a 2008 G35 Journey Exterior Color: Platinum Graphite and Interior Color: Graphite Leather / Wash Aluminum that comes with the Premium Package, Navigation Package and Sport Package for $35,371. In addition, agreed to accept my 2007 Honda Civic SI with 22,300 miles for $17,800. What do guys and ladies think of the sell price and trade-in offer?
  • Options
    jlancehojlanceho Member Posts: 3
    Drove this car off the lot yesterday:

G35 Journey, Platinum Graphite, Graphite/Washi interior
    Premium Package
    Navigation Package
    Splash guards
    Cargo Net

$33,800.00 after applying conquest rebate
    $0 doc fees
    $0 delivery charge
    + tax + title + tags

Looks like $792 under invoice after applying the rebate.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your stellar deal. Would you be so kind to let us know the name of the dealership as I am also in the process of buying this car but having no luck in even getting close to what you have paid.
    Also, would you please clarify what is conquest rebate. Thanks in advance and enjoy your new car
    a1s1a1
  • Options
    aggiebc99aggiebc99 Member Posts: 6
    Dennis -

For g's that were made prior to the price increase, will the difference in invoice price listed on Edmunds be a straight $250 cheaper?
  • Options
    jeffmo2334jeffmo2334 Member Posts: 23
    Why would you get an '07 over an '08 at this point? You can get a really good deal on the '08's, e.g. on the sedans there is a $500 rebate plus 1.9%/2.9% financing promotion. The 2.9% financing over 60 months will save you more than $2000 over financing at 5.5% or so, so the incentives in effect save you $2500 on the car. Plus, you can get close to invoice or maybe even a little below on the '08's. I am not sure whether these same incentives are available on the G37 coupes, though, if you are sold on the coupe. (BTW I have heard people say that the G35 sedans are faster than the G37 coupes even though the coupes have the larger engine with more horsepower).

I would say that if I were you I would only consider buying the 07 if I could get it at a "used car" price. Consider what you would be willing to pay for a very low miles used 07 coupe, and don't go above that. If you don't keep it a really long time, you will probably get a lot less when you sell it than if you buy an '08.

So, I would see what is the best deal you can get on an '08 in what you want, figure in the rebate and any other incentives, and then see how good of a deal you can get on the '07, and ask yourself whether the savings are worth the difference. For me, the difference would have to be AT LEAST $4000 or $5000 before I would consider it, but you will have to judge for yourself.

By the way, where do you live?

Good luck with your purchase decision!

Jeff
  • Options
    It was an "up to" $250 price increase. So on some model if you loaded it with every option, then MSRP would be $250 more. On a car with just a premium pack, then the price may only be $125 higher, with premium and Nav then maybe $175. I am just making up numbers, but you get the idea. If you are looking at an old price car then just adjust the current invoice down by the amount of the price increase (at MSRP) for the car you are looking at as optioned. That should get you close enough to the actual invoice price.

When I no longer have access to the old prices, I just assume the different in the MSRP equals the different in the invoice. It is not always the case, but it is usually pretty close.

Dennis
  • Options
    The new coupe is head and shoulders better - for sure interior design and comfort.

You should be able to get a new coupe for close to invoice these days and get a cheap lease or cheap financing on it from IFS. No way would I pay anything CLOSE to that for a left over 07 coupe. At one time Infiniti had $2,500 or more in dealer money to help move the coupes out. If it were me and I knew I could get a coupe near invoice (mine was about $200 under counter the customer cash available in Jan) and cheap money they would have to price the old coupe $4k or more under invoice before I would even consider it - and then I would probably still pass. In fact, I would rather have a new G sedan than the old coupe and since the coupes carry a $3k or more price premium on them you can probably buy a new sedan for the same as you could get the old coupe.

The old coupes are NICE cars, but once you have been in the new G you will not want to have the old design.

Dennis
  • Options
    approluapprolu Member Posts: 6
    This is my best quote so far G35 Journey black /stone

Premium Package
    Navigation Package
    Splash guard
    Cargo Net

$34,700
    $2231 TTL
    $179 Doc Fee

$37,1110 OTD
    from Austin, Tx
  • Options
    I'm in the L.A. area.
    Assuming I go for a 2008 G35, are you guys saying that I get it for invoice (meaning invoice + transportation); is there an advertising allowance added to the preceding?
    Also, are you saying it should be invoice (however you define above) minus $500 to allow for rebate?

How much should document preparation be?
    If I lease, what is the MF for 12,000, 15000 miles?
    ARe there discounts for multiple deposits?
  • Options
    A good deal would invoice, including destination, minus the $500 cash rebate. There is no marketing charge to add on to that.

Doc fees in AZ are $369 - $399, but vary all over. CA is set by law to $55; Dennis knows a dealer that has $0 doc fees.

Look a couple pages back in the lease thread for the March residuals and money factors.
  • Options
    Thank you!
    I have BMW530i. Question is whether to go for InfinitiG35 or spend more for a LexusGS350.
    Regardless, I'm curious. As someone who has bought near invoice the last several cars. can you explain--
    if i get an Infiniti at $500 under invoice (to allow for rebate), or the equivalent of invoice, how does the dealership, with all its expenses (location, utilities, staff, insurance, etc.) find money to pay the salesman who handles the transaction, and where is any profit for the dealership. Surely, the holdback is not enough to accommodate the salesman and the dealer profit.
    If they're hoping to make money off financing, I would probably pay cash; or, if I lease, demand the wholesale money factor.
    What am I missing?
    Why is this car so discounted? Is there a problem with it?
  • Options
    Dennis can answer much better than I can - he's very knowledgeable.

I know they make money at invoice due to the holdback and the dealer doc fee, at least. Plus whatever they sell you in finance. I look at this way - I can get them to agree pretty quickly to a near-invoice deal, which means it must be OK for them.

Also, we're the exception...most people are probably happy to get a deal off MSRP and drive away happy.
  • Options
    kobayashikobayashi Member Posts: 50
    The car manufacturer has other incentives that help keep the doors open at a dealership - it is in their best interest. The other factor that allows dealers to make less on new car margins in the real money maker in their building - service. In some ways, the sales of new vehicles has become a loss leader for the high margin service department where costs and margins can be tightly controlled and predictive. Also, the used lots can be a source of margin where the ease (and margin) of financing and shiny older cars with more sway in what is a value can help make up for lost dollars on new car sales.

Do not feel bad about getting what seems like a zero margin deal for the dealer. After a trip to the service department down the road, you will see how it all comes out in the wash.
  • Options
    It's not feeling bad about a zero margin deal. My question is -- in a zero margin deal, how does the dealership compensate the sales person? Also, I don't understand the make-money-on-service argument, because I've often secured my car at a farther-away dealership, but serviced it at the nearby dealership.
    --
    On another matter, I'm trying to understand why I should, or should not, spend the extra money to get a Lexus GS350, vs an Infiniti G35. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    The dealer gets 2% or so of MSRP as hold back, so on a $40k car this would be $800. As was mentioned, Infiniti service is not included and can be very expensive. Just about every car dealer also makes more profit on a single used car sale than they do on several new car sales. There can also be incentives and quota based deals we don't know about.

If you are worried about how much the dealer makes then simply pay full MSRP and ease your mind. If the dealer and the salesperson were not making money on the deal, they would not sell you the car. Your job is to get the best price for yourself not not worry about how they are getting paid.

It is your money, go drive both and see which appeals to you better. If it is the GS and you don't mind paying the extra money, then get it. You are asking in a G forum which car you should get which is pretty dumb if you think about it :D . Both are nice cars, the G is sportier and costs less and has a better lease or loan available. All that does not matter if the GS is for you. You have to drive it and pay for it, so you have to decide.

Dennis
  • Options
    kobayashikobayashi Member Posts: 50
    For every person who buys and then services elsewhere, the services elsewhere is there for someone else. Sales personnel have different compensation schemes which could involve number of vehicles sold, average margin, manufactures spiffs, etc.

As to the G35 vs. GS350 debate - I think they are pretty different cars, irregardless of price. The Lexus is focused more on luxury and the Infiniti more sport. If being more disconnected from the driving experience and pampered in high end leather and wood is more your style, the Lexus is a great way to sit back and be driven. The Infiniti provides more of a connected feel and veers towards sport more than luxury - the exhaust note, sport packages and road feel separate the cars. Although lexus and Infiniti initially each grew out of two leading mass market car makers, each went at it a little different.
  • Options
    ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    As Dennis and others have said, a dealer makes money such as holdback and other incentives or bonuses from manufacture we don't know about.

And any successful New car dealer runs very profitable Parts and Service department as well us Used car department. That's where the money is for them.

Also, it seems like nowadays on many brands like Infiniti/Nissan and others have
    very little gap between Invoice and MSRP compare to several years ago. On G35,
    depending on options, difference between Invoice and MSRP is only about $3000 to
    $4000. To me it doesn't sound right on a car with MSRP of $35000 or more.

Finally, all new cars cost money to a dealer if they sit too long. It would be better
    for them to make $300 less now than have it sit on their lot and cost interest money.

There's nothing wrong with G35 in my opinion. It's one of the best Sports Sedan and
    Coupe in its segment. Right now economy is bad and car dealers in general are
    not doing well, so it is a Buyer's Market, just like Realestate Market. :)
  • Options
    Jeff and Dennis,
    Thanks for your thoughtful insight, it really helps me in deciding which way to go.
    The new '07 G35 coupe with premium package is for 29.5K plus tax and title/Doc. fee, which in my opinion is quite an irresistable price to pass ( MSRP 37K ), however, the resale after a few years and no special financing plus the fact that it is an older model may not be worth the saving.........Jeff, I live in Wisconsin
    Guys, thanks again
    a1s1a1
  • Options
    ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    Randy, were you able to finalize a deal in AZ? I am just starting my search and am finding that most of the dealerships don't want to talk pricing over email. I'm looking at the G37 and am wondering what pricing people in Arizona are paying for the Journey (and what options they added)
  • Options
    lbsimonlbsimon Member Posts: 2
    One of the sources of revenue for a dealership is your trade. Just last week I was offered $7500 for mine, eventually settled on almost $10K, and it will be sold at an auction (I flipped through a book on the salesman's desk) for $12.5K. I did not want a hassle of going through a private sale. If I had agreed to the original price, it would have been $5K of profit for a dealer (minus his prep cost, of course).

On your other point -- I too was looking at a Lexus, but I wanted an all-wheel drive, so Infiniti was my choice. An IS250 turned too small for me. Now, a week later, I am really happy with my brand new G35!
  • Options
    If you have a CarMax or DriversWay in your area they will often buy your car for "about auction price". Usually a dealer will give you more for trade, but it never hurts (and costs you nothing but a little time) to have them look over your car and make an offer. Then if the dealer just will not give that much, go back and sell the others your car.

In many states you get a tax break for a trade, however. In my state the $10k you got for your trade would save you $700 in sales tax on the purchase of your new car.

Dennis
  • Options
    afirozviafirozvi Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at the AWD G35X with the premium package and navigation (basically fully loaded, except no laser cruise control). Can anyone share prices they paid or were quoted in MD, VA, DC, NC? Any information would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    My question remains. I never trade-in.
    So, I don't understand how dealership makes money from my transaction, let alone how the salesperson makes money, when I get the car close to invoice ,then either buy the car for cash with no financing profit for the dealer, or lease at the net interest rate/money factor, without lease markup for the dealer.
    Yes, I know about holdbacks, but the cars I'm looking at don't have them, or they don't amount to much.