Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    beefalobeefalo Member Posts: 9
    That is a great price. I would like to get the same deal. Would you mind telling me which dealership gave you this deal for the 4WD EX-L? I would like to get a similar deal for a 2WD. Thanks.
  • Options
    gotapilotgotapilot Member Posts: 4
    Herson's Honda in Rockville, MD. I'm not sure if they are still running the same deal, but it is worth a try. Aside from them trying to push the extended warranty on us (which we didn't take), the experience was rather painless. We also got a great quote on a 2WD from O'Donnell Honda in Ellicott City, but decided to go with a 4WD.
  • Options
    mazoo1mazoo1 Member Posts: 1
    We went to a dealership in Baltimore last night and am looking for an some advice:

We first looked at a certified 2009 Pilot with 6K miles, after a long negotiation the best price the dealer could give me was $33,672.

We then asked about a brand new 2010 Pilot and I was told the best price I could get is $32,818.

I couldn't believe that the 2009 was more, however the dealer is telling me that because the 2009 is certified (gives you a 4 year 48K bumper to bumper and 7 year 100K powertrain warranty) it creates extra value.

My argument is that if I buy the 2010, as soon as I drive it off the lot it will depreciate by 10%, so how do they justify the 2009 at such a high price.

Looking for advice, please let me know your thoughts....
  • Options
    mirrodie1mirrodie1 Member Posts: 25
    Some really nice deals there on the 4WD EX-L. We paid $33516 on ours, have it 2 weeks now, throwing hte running boards on this afternoon myself. Love the car.

According to truecar.com, below $33674 is a great price on that car.

So Go you!

Seems on Long Island, the dealerships (at least the 3 I looked at ) were all frozen at 33516. I wasnt about to waste time running to NJ and PA for deals but perhaps that is a good option for others.

Just be sure to take advantage of the 1.9 or 2.9 percent financing available right now.
    The Finance guys tried to throw me a 4.9 percent finance, playing as if they didnt know there were special finance rates right now, but I held ground and got it. I almost walked out right at that second.

If you are getting a good deal on the top, just make sure they aren't trying to recoup on the back end.
  • Options
    beefalobeefalo Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the information. What was the great quote on the 2WD from O'Donnell Honda? I think that the 4WD cost is about $1500 more than the 2WD. Was that what you found too?
  • Options
    atljimatljim Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the Atlanta area, which dealers were the best to work with? DId they try to tack on a lot of options to the MSRP. How did you negotiate below invoice price, great deal. I'm thinking I may work on-line deals and was wondering if you did and whether you were able to negotiate on-line.

THanks!
  • Options
    ednemednem Member Posts: 7
    Settled on 2010 Pilot 4WD Touring NAV+RES at Herson Honda Rockville, Maryland. Got it for $36200 + tax(6%)+tag(274) +fees(100) that totalled about $39500.
  • Options
    wishkwishk Member Posts: 5
    Hi Bheem1 could you please let us know where did you get it (Dealer name and location, if possible sales personname) I am looking to get the same.

thanks
  • Options
    big_d_charliebig_d_charlie Member Posts: 1
    Best price I have received so far is:

Price: 34190
    Destination and Handling: 710
    ttl: 286
    tax (TX); 2254.19

OTD: 37440

I have not seen many Touring models in the metroplex in blue and pricing is lowest I have gotten from most of the other dealers. Is this there room for improvement? any tips? thanks
  • Options
    hp10hp10 Member Posts: 3
    Settled on 2010 Pilot 4WD Touring NAV+RES at Herson Honda Rockville, Maryland. Got it for $36200 + tax(6%)+tag(274) +fees(100) that totalled about $39500.

When I add those items up I get 36200+ 6%($2172)+274+100 = $38746 for a difference of $754 from 39500. Did you get some additional equipment with your Pilot?
  • Options
    shecrazy4crvshecrazy4crv Member Posts: 2
    I am getting a quote of $33800 OTD from a dealer in GA. Is it a good price? I have told him 32800 OTD.

thanks
  • Options
    shecrazy4crvshecrazy4crv Member Posts: 2
    I got the pilot for 33300 OTD. How did I do?
  • Options
    jjneffjjneff Member Posts: 1
    I paid $31,508 OTD for the Moca Metallic will be picking it up tonight for a trip to Ten. tommorrow. That was the best deal I could get and I did it through the internet, no haggling just show up sign and drive!
  • Options
    cultured_hickcultured_hick Member Posts: 10
    Had a lot of trouble finding either a black, silver, or grey Touring 4WD with Nav/ RES that was not a demo. Dealer looked in 4 states. Seems most are 2WD in the southeast. I had a lot of luck with pricing through the Edmunds internet search in Alabama and Atlanta but best prices were Atlanta. The best price I found was 36641 from Ed Voyles (Mike Dinnehy was internet manager) and Curry (I think Charles was internet manager). Team honda was over 1000 higher out the door than the others. I ended up purchasing in Birmingham at Brannon Honda (Sam Schrecengost was excellent dealer), who were very good. I paid a bit more than some of the posts here, but it seemed that I was going to have to drive to ATL to save several hundred dollars. I got the Pilot for 39599 out the door, which was around 37500 (selling price + destination charge), 499 doc fee, and 4.5% local tax (state and county) , tags/title. I had to settle for white, but worth the convenience and was not really that much of a compromise. It literally took 1 hour when I got to the dealer to drive away, which was important.
  • Options
    lukegtlukegt Member Posts: 2
    A few people here mentioned that they sent out emails to the local dealers in the area requesting their best price, others mentioned that they ordered it online. Is there a website you can buy it through or send the local dealers emails. Or do you just send look them up and email everyone manually.

Thanks
  • Options
    ednemednem Member Posts: 7
    hp10 sorry for responding at this time. i forgot to add destination of $710.
    Its 2010 Pilot 4WD Touring NAV+RES at Herson Honda Rockville, Maryland. Price($36200) + tax(6%)+tag(274) +fees(100)+destination($710) that totalled about $39505.
  • Options
    hp10hp10 Member Posts: 3
    Okay, thanks for the clarification ;-)
  • Options
    jeff138jeff138 Member Posts: 4
    Got the above car for $37,651 including destination. (MSRP $40,995, invoice $36,442 according to Truecar.com) 6% PA sales tax, $200 title/tags extra. Keenan Honda in Doylestown, PA.

Kicker was they took back my 07 CRV lease 2 months early at no net out of pocket cost ($14,945 buyout), which was about equal to the KBB value. Not sure if there would have been a few hundred more wiggle room without this, but overall still a good deal with the year-end financing and tax deduction.

Haven't seen much better out there, esp locally, except for the poster above from Maryland.
  • Options
    crv123crv123 Member Posts: 33
    Hi-
    I hope this question is appropriate for this forum. I am starting to look at the Pilot and am reading through the forum. The information lists models with and without RES, but I can't figure out what RES is. Can someone tell me? ...and is that an option that I should be looking for? I'm in MA. Thanks!
  • Options
    mcmjr77mcmjr77 Member Posts: 5
    rear entertainment system = dvd
  • Options
    crv123crv123 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    lukegtlukegt Member Posts: 2
    Picked it up locally here $35,594 OTD for a 2010 Honda Pilot EX-L 4x4 Final negotiated price was $32,100 rest is tax 9.75% lic $480ish and doc fee $55.

I was really considering the -RES model, but i couldn't justify the $1500 dvd player. I'm sure there are aftermarket systems out there for a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    sonmansonman Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a 2010 Pilot Touring 4WD NAV no RES in Philly suburbs for $35,700 (which includes the destination charge) + 6% PA tax and $110 title/tags.
  • Options
    semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    hey has anyone gotten a good deal on a 2010 EXL-RES 4WD in the chicago - joliet area??? I'm thinking of getting one for the wifee. if you got a good deal please message me.
  • Options
    paatlpaatl Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2010 Honda Pilot FWD Touring w/o RES on 12/21 for $33.900 (includes destination) + doc fee + tax in metro-Atlanta area.
  • Options
    pahockeydadpahockeydad Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a FWD EX, all I can find in PA is AWD. Has anyone seen 2010 FWD in PA/NY/NJ? I'm not interested in paying for AWD.
  • Options
    2002mark2002mark Member Posts: 2
    i just purchased exl 4wd 34,000 otd include lifetime power train warranty.
    31490+710+tax+tag+proce fee+protection equipment=34000.
    financing is 2.9% for 60 mon
    i think so that it better deal.
  • Options
    keido1keido1 Member Posts: 7
    Can I ask where you purchased your Pilot?
  • Options
    Does anyone know of any dealers in NJ who are motivated Pilot sellers looking to close out their year end numbers before the current incentives expire on 1/4/10?

I am naively hoping that may there is a local dealer who is willing to do an aggressive deal just to hit some sales numbers before year end.

Thanks.
  • Options
    needapilotneedapilot Member Posts: 3
    Would anyone be able to share their otd prices and experiences with either 2010 EX-L 4WD and EX-L 4WD/RES. I have a small child and would really like the RES but not sure if I really need it or just want it? Any advise would be welcome. Am in the Baltimore area. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    gctngctn Member Posts: 3
    Bought from Memphis Wolfchase Honda 2010 2wd Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Res for $34,000 + tax and tags (no "doc fee").
  • Options
    tutttutt Member Posts: 11
    I pulled a trigger for a 2010 pilot EXL w/o res for OTD price of $33750 in Dallas area, including everything (destination fee, TTL..). The tax is 6.25 in TX.
    I got a lot informaiton from this forum, hope this helps.
    tutt
  • Options
    tutttutt Member Posts: 11
    This is 2WD.
  • Options
    mms5mms5 Member Posts: 19
    Hi Needapilot,

We bought a 2wd touring without RES for 35,700 out the door from Bill Page Honda in Falls Church VA. That was convenient for us. The best price we received was from Nick at S and S Honda around Baltimore. I think the website is www.sandshonda.com Nobody was beating his price. We ended up paying a little more for convenience of location, but since you are in Baltimore I would check with him first. I would check the consumer reports bottom line pricing. As far as RES, we struggled with this too. We have three children ages 4,7, and 10. We decided to not spend the money since we have the $99 personal dvd players for them that are great. I would rather spend the extra money and get the touring 4wd without the RES rather than get the EXL with RES. I love the ipod integration of the touring, the sun shades, and the power rear liftgate. I am also enjoying the navigation even though that wasn't something I was set on. I like that you have the big navigation screen for the audio screen to navigate the xm or ipod. I think with the RES you do get a better sound system, but the sound system on the touring sounds great to us without the RES upgrade. Good luck with everything. You will love your new pilot!
  • Options
    135i135i Member Posts: 25
    2010 4wd exl for 32,000 includes dest. here in northern nj.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good price. Can you provide the name of the dealer in northern nj and the name of the salesperson you dealt with?
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation with regards to the RES. I've started to look at aftermarket DVD products as well. It seems I may be able to get either (1) a ceiling-mounted dvd with a larger installed at a lower price than Honda charges for the RES, or (2) a dvd player mounted in each head rest for about the same price as Honda wants.
  • Options
    jamie1983jamie1983 Member Posts: 20
    What seems to be the best price you can get on a 2010 Pilot EX in the Southeast?
  • Options
    needapilotneedapilot Member Posts: 3
    Hi mms5,
    Thank you so much for your info and advise. So helpful and have decided not to go for the RES. Family and friends and now you have said not really needed. Thanks again!
  • Options
    pilot0203pilot0203 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted $35,800 Touring 4WD with NAV w/o RES + tax & Title

I was quoted $37,500 Touring 4WD with NAV and RES + tax and Title

Can I do better on pricing? Can someone share their pricing. In the Delaware area.
  • Options
    denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I think $37,516.32 is invoice for a 2010 Touring with RES and NAV. I talked to five Honda dealers during December and two got to that price and then stopped firm. Then it was a matter of getting accessories thrown in and getting a good price on our trade-in. Picked up the Pilot last week and like it a lot. One problem was a 1.5-inch scratch on the driver door which probably happened in transport; dealer is fixing tomorrow and picking up the cost. Oh - I'm in Colorado (Denver).
  • Options
    belesprit52belesprit52 Member Posts: 1
    I found this forum very helpful and would like to contribute. I took delivery on a 2010 4WD Touring without RES the week before Thanksgiving. I used the Carbargains Buying Service which provides quotes from 5 interested dealers for a $200 fee. I specified a different area of the state from where I live. I took the the lowest quote for each individual item, ie, car price based on invoice, processing/document fees, destination fee, accessories, etc., then contacted each of my local dealers with this combined figure as a starting point. We exchanged about 2 rounds of e-mails to arrive at an out the door price except tags and taxes. I got the impression that the dealers can't discount Honda accessories much if anything so include what you want in the total price. I got the polished gray, gray interior with wood trim and moonroof visor for $36,500 plus $63.75 tags and 3% Virginia sales tax from Colonial Honda south of Richmond. Great people to deal with. Love the car, quiet, luxurious, great sound system, handles well in the snow. No problems for the first 1000 miles. Hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    bheem1bheem1 Member Posts: 5
    Goodson Honda North
  • Options
    jamie1983jamie1983 Member Posts: 20
    When you say OTD, including tax/tax/title? I am looking for the same EX-L FWD.
  • Options
    denver80230denver80230 Member Posts: 6
    I'm getting ready to buy a Pilot Touring 4WD in Denver in the next few weeks.
    Which dealer did you pick? Were you happy with them?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Not sure we can talk about dealers here. I will be circumspect just in case.

I live near the Honda dealer on 104th Ave. In the past, they never gave the best price. We bought two other Honda's in Colo Springs after CS beat the 104th dealer by first $2000 and then $1500.

But this time, the 104th dealer saw the CS quote, saw the trade-in value and matched it. And since they are close to our house, we went with them.

In terms of the experience, they were efficient and not especially friendly. They have a finance manager who was actually the most personable, helpful person and who agreed to match the other offer. The salesperson answered questions but wasn't especially helpful.

When I took delivery last week I noticed the 1.5-inch scratch I mentioned earlier. They fixed it for free, picking up my Pilot at my place of work, getting it fixed and bringing it back, all within about 5 hours.

We've had routine maintenance done there and they've always been helpful.

I should mention that I started the search process by talking to six total Honda dealers (one in Longmont, one in Boulder, one near Golden, the one at 104th, Colo Springs and one other in Denver). After I got the price down to what seemed to be the best level, as well as the trade-in up to the highest level, I contacted the Denver dealer and they laughed and said if I got a deal like that, take it. Then they called the dealer on 104th to confirm the deal was true. I heard about it the next day.

If you have specific questions, let me know. UPDATE: Just saw that we can mentioned dealers, so I will. Bought from Go Honda. Front Range Honda is the CS dealer. Kuni Honda was the one that laughed at the deal and then checked up on it.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, Denver5357.

I've been working thru a well-recommended broker who is telling me the best he can do is $37,800 (plus tax) for a 2010 4X4 Touring w/o RES because supply is very tight.

He may turn out to be right, but based on the info here it sounds like I'm going to have to do some work on my own rather than relying on the broker to find me the best deal.

Thanks again for the quick and complete info.
  • Options
    Sure thing. Supply was very tight even at the end of 2009. We ended up buying silver/gray when we wanted silver/black, but none were available. And ours came in literally Dec. 30, for pick up Dec. 31. I wish the Honda red was a nicer red; could have gotten a red/black, but the red looked purple.
  • Options
    kumba07kumba07 Member Posts: 1
    I need some help from the Honda experts here. Need to decide between three Pilots:

1 - 2005 Pilot EXL 4WD, 40,000 miles, leather, heated seats, running boards, pretty much loaded. Honda Certified. Asking price $22k.

2 - 2007 Pilot EXL 4WD, 61,000 miles, leather, heated seats, pretty much loaded except for running boards. Honda Certified. Asking price $24k.

3 - 2007 Pilot LX 4WD, 42,000 miles, cloth, rear air, alloy wheels. Not honda certified (not a Honda dealer). Asking price $20k.

They're all pretty clean as far as scratches and such. The last one has a scratch and couple of stains that detailing might fix. Checked carfax & autocheck and they all have clean titles.

So there it is, I would really appreciate any feedback/suggestions/opinions.

THANKS!!!
  • Options
    To close the loop on my buying experience...I found the color/option combo that my wife wanted in stock at Markley Motors Ft. Collins, CO and called J their internet sales dept for a quote. Their first response came in right where I wanted so I pulled the trigger over the phone at $36,056 all-in except tax ($350 over invoice, $500 under TMV) with 1.9% financing for 3 years; no haggling.

They even delivered the car to my driveway and did the paperwork in my kitchen.

Maybe I could have saved a few bucks by haggling but this whole process took minutes instead of hours (or days) so I'm not going to quibble! I never even set foot in a dealership! (We test-drove a friend's Pilot then drove by a dealership to pick a color from the models out on the lot; with 2 little kids we don't have the time/patience for the dealership run-around).

Stuff they sold me after the deal:

1. "Rocky Mountain Protection Package" (clear nose mask, paint sealant, and interior treatment): I really only wanted the nose mask which I could've gotten for about $275 elsewhere but I paid them $399 for this whole package (instead of their offer of $549) for the ease/convenience.

2. 7-yr/80K extended warranty: I'm comfortable with Honda's mechanicals, but all the electronics in this car could be real trouble (i.e. Nav, Parking sensors, BlueTooth, Tailgate, etc.) so this seemed like a good bet to me. They offered it at $1,685 so I said "No, thanks. Not at that price." twice until they got down to $1,090 where I pulled the trigger. At minimum, its worth $150-$200 for 4 extra years of roadside assistance (instead of AAA) so downside seems pretty limited. If this car has no issues in years 4-7 and I "wasted" about $900 on the EW then I won't complain; I'll just be happy to have had no issues.

Was this the best deal in this thread? probably not.
    Was it a fair deal for all parties? I think so.

Car dealers have a (justified) bad rap but the internet is helping us consumers take back some power. Let's not abuse our power (the way dealers did/do). Let's let them make a fair living while treating us well and maybe, just maybe WE can help transform this industry for our kids!

Rickenbaugh Volvo (and other car dealers), are you listening? The last car I got for my wife was from you; a Volvo XC70. It was a good deal and a good car but it was a typically awful car-buying experience so you've lost my business forever to guys like Markley.

(By the way, in case you're curious, I drive a BMW. I maintain my cars well and keep them for a long time so I don't have much to share about BMW-buying experiences. All I'll say is that sometimes a $35K car costs LESS than a $30K car when you evaluate it in terms of "cost of ownership" (i.e. maintenance, depreciation, etc.) instead of purchase price. I bought my previous BMW for $35K and then got $15K for it 9 years later after putting no money into it except for oil changes.)