Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Sorento Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    Hi

Yes, I have run my hand along the door panel and felt the indention. As for the grinding noise, I have not heard that noise.
  • Options
    jdesjardinsjdesjardins Member Posts: 24
    This Wednesday will be my 3rd vist to get my remote starter fixed. My 204 LX starts everytime with the key even at -30F but starting it from inside the house where it is warm and cozy has been impossible this winter.(king of defeats the purpose of having a remote strater!)

Twice now, my remote starter and remote keys have been adjusted (reprogrammed) to no avail. Dealer was very cooperative and informed me they would replace the who kit and kaboodle this week.

It is almost like the remote starter does not "prime pulse" the cylinders with a shot of fuel causing the cylinder to turn over dry.
    The computer chip make 3 attemps and shuts down. Again... key work fine so the remote starter is the obvious culprit.

...As for noises when starting at -30F ...yep I thing it is just pain :-) Give the poor thing a chance to warm up !

• Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I started my car this morning. It was in the upper 10s. There are no grinding sound when cold start and no door panel deformation.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    thing ASA they find out what's causing it! That is so strange. BTW, I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 and it doesn't have the door panel cold temp.problem, FYI. Hope you guys get a fair fix to that potential problem ASAP!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    I only saw it once on my Sorento. And the area wasn't bright enough to take pictures. joboo1 already contacted Kia about this. And his case was referred to Kia engineers. Someone raised a question about moisture inside the door panel can cause the problem. And I am not sure if Kia will run their own investigation in a climate controlled room or run a test report in cold climate area or something like that. I think they need more cases (complaints) like this before running any test.
  • Options
    a while then. If it's indeed being referred to Kia engineers I would guess that we won't see an answer or explanation or potential fix for a bit of a while. At least it doesn't present a performance problem.

• Options
    if there is anyone else having this problem with the door panels, please contact Kia. I think the more complaints they receive on this matter the quicker they will respond.
  • Options
    Hi

I was just wondering if you had met up with the Kia rep. regarding the door panels.

frank
  • Options
    paramedicoparamedico Member Posts: 8
    Was poking around under my Sorento the other day and noticed a small leak coming from the right side of the steering rack. No oil drips, steering slack or anything to indicate a problem. Found it by chance. Was bringing it in for service that week and let them know about and they replaced it no questions asked (thank you Tempe Kia). Point is get under your truck and give it a once over every now and then. Another thing, regarding the vibrations,apparently the factory is aware of the problem and an interim fix is to "force balance" (look it up) the wheels and tires. This has resolved about 80% of my vibration concerns. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    force balance?
    Do you mean like, just a tires balance on all 4?
  • Options
    ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    sorry I have been missing in action here the last week or so.

But... I met with my Kia dealership this past Monday. It was kinda funny actually. I had the head of the service department out looking and taking notes... and I think at first he didn't want to believe what I was saying or showing him. But as both he and I looked and walked around the vehicle... he became convinced I was correct. Though he had never seen the same thing before. Then all of a sudden more and more service techs came out to look. At one point I had about 6 guys and a sales guy walking around and pointing and conversing about what could be causing the problem.

Anyway...the long and short of it, they are going to report the issue to Kia and see what they advise as to what action to take in dealing with this. They did say what no matter what happens, it will be covered under the warranty. Its more a matter of the deformation comeing back in another door (replacement) or to fix the two doors that are deformed. Though I expressed that is not what I want them to do... that I want them replaced with new ones. All I can do is wait and see what happens. Hopefully I have some news by next Monday... because I love my Kia and I want it looking the way God intended it to look. Beautiful!

joboo... I am very curious what Kia engineers will say. If its happened to us, its probably happened a lot. I live in Colorado, and the last couple of months or so the tempratures drop to zero or below at times. During the days its warmer...but not enough to make the deformation disapear. One of the Service guys wants me to try taking a hair dryer to the panel and really heat it up... to see if the deformation will go away. Maybe I will try that this weekend... though I'm not holding my breath on that experiment.
  • Options
    Hi

Like you, I love the vehicle. I will not settle for them to repair the doors and Im not sure replacing just the doors will satisfy me. Im afraid that they will not be able to match the paint. It sounds like you will have an answer sooner than me. Im curious did you mentioned that you knew of other Sorento owners who had the same problem.
  • Options
    ivygrnsorento - It looks like the impression is still on your car all times. I am afraid the panel will not be smooth as before even the weather gets warm.

joboo1 - What about you? The temparture here in New England seems to warm up a little bit. And I think I saw the deformation the second time few nights ago.
  • Options
    ...I did mention that I'm a member and take part in the Edmunds Kia Forum and that the topic had come up and some discussions on the problem are posted... if they were interested in looking into it with owners. My service guy didn't seem to interested to be honest with you. I sorta got the impression he thumbs his nose at these auto forums. Maybe when I go back for the recommended service for the door deformation issue, I'll ask him more about his opinions.

lok888... Yes, your are correct. I think now the impressions have become permanent. Not so much for the horizontal "stretch" mark... but certainly the verticle impressions are pretty prominent. They seem to be from the doors internal structure... and where the structure is welded or glued to the door panel.

joboo... I have a question for you. Have you noticed that the doors that have the deformation don't shut with now with the same "thunk" they should? The driver's side rear door on my vehicle is the worse off on my Sorento... and I have noticed that the door sorta makes a tinny clunky noise now when I shut it. I'm beginning to think that the whole door is deforming to some extent.

Orrr...it could be that I'm just really over sensitive now to the whole issue and I'm looking for other things to be going wrong.
  • Options
    It has been very cold here in St. Louis this week. I will take a close look at my Sorento tonight and see if there are any deformations (my wife drives it).

I do have a question on the Warranty. I usually don't take my cars in as scheduled and recommended by the factory. Would that void my warranty if I don't have my car tune up like they ask to? Would it void the warranty if I don't do my oil change, tune ups, etc. at the dealer?
    It's cheaper to do it somewhere else.
  • Options
    You don't need to bring it to your dealer (or any Kia) for service. You should look at the warranty section of you owner manual for what's cover & what's not. I have to read it again too. The factory warranty basically covers manufacturer defects, except tires and any normal wears & tears. I spoke to Kia a while ago. They will reimburse you for any emergency roadside assistant and repair done rather then Kia dealer. You need to keep all your records and receipts. They added this is a case by case situation.
  • Options
    saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    The temperature in south korea gets awfully cold in the winter time as well. I wonder if the owners in korea are facing the same problem? Also, don't auto makers test the vehicle under sub freezing conditions to see how the vehicle would hold up. I can't believe Kia would not have done similar testing to see how well vehicle holds up under freezing conditions.
  • Options
    netcamnetcam Member Posts: 30
    I can give you a performance review to real bone chilling conditions. The past 10 days up here in northern Alberta ... well, lets just say the temps you guys are talking about are downright balmy compared to mine! Average daytime high temp has been -34C, night time lows into the -40's C, and everyday has windchills adding 10 deg lower to the air temp. Those temps create thick ice fog at night too. Throw in a couple feet of snow during that time and you have some of the worst winter conditions in North America. At -15C, it was warmer on Mars where the 2nd NASA rover landed!! Today is the first day out of the cold spell and it has warmed to -21C, though the snow is coming down pretty good today.
    Not having a garage, all winter my Sorento has been parked outside exposed to winter elements like these, and usually frosted up or covered with a few inches of snow. I've been using it about every 2nd day and it has been running fine, without any problems. I use the block heater at temps below -20C, get it plugged in and going a few hours before starting the engine. You guys in the States probably won't even have a block heater (standard 'option' in Canada). The interior heater is set at maximum heat and the fan is usually running at speed 3 during warmup while I clean the windows of frost and clear the snow off, and then down to speed 2 when driving around. It does a good job keeping the interior warm. My remote starter has been by far the best aftermarket item installed so far. Nothing can be worse than manually starting a vehicle in this kind of weather! Only thing I have noted is that the wiper defrost strip is not really effective in keeping the wiper blades ice free as hoped, only really keeps them from being stuck to the windshield.
    At these extreme temps, once the snow becomes packed down on the roads from traffic it usually hardens up like ice, and I have really noticed the ABS brake system doing its job several times when coming to stops or slowing up for a turn. I'm also frequently in 4WD Hi for these road conditions and have had no problems driving through the snow and ice.
    As for any door panel deformation, I do not have any indication of that and have never heard of it occurring as it is described here, even with regard to any other vehicle make/models.
    I agree with saber86, it is very strange if some of you are seeing something like that. One of you mentioned going to your dealer and seeing or photographing new Sorentos on the lot with the same deformation as yours ... which may indicate a particular build date/assembly line run had something amiss with the door panel assembly or its sheetmetal quality. Just a guess and only a speculation on my part. Whatever the cause, I would expect the warranty will have you covered.
  • Options
    HI

No, I have not noticed any difference in the way the doors close. But I am concerned about the impressions becoming permanent. Repairing the doors is not an option and replacing them isn't the way to go either I think - paint not matching and doors not aligning properly. I'm not sure what to do if Kia offers only those two options.
  • Options
    and doors possibly being out of alignment. It seems like it would be simple but there's enough going on there to screw it up in trying to match colors and seams, etc. If the body shops can prove that they had done that sort of thing before WITH KIA's it MIGHT help ease your concerns but that's a BIG BUTT I would think at this point, eh? I doubt they would take the doors off and try to repair the innards and put the same ones back on your SUV's.
         Hey, netcam, is anybody just making igloos to live in up there? Yikes! Also, how about just iditarodding it around and letting the puppies pull you?!!

• Options
    netcam - Temperature here has reached lower 20's F in MA. Hopefully it will raise above the freezing mark in next few days. Consider this is a heat wave to you!

I don't know the assembly date has anything to do with the deformation. But mine ('03 EX 4WD) was build on 10/02. I bought it on 12/02. And I believe most owners also bought their Sorentos prior to 12/02, which means the build dates are between 9/02 to 11/02. But, joboo1 said he saw the same impression on those brand new Sorentos at dealer's lot. I really don't know! Anyway, I only saw the impression on the door panels once (maybe twice). It was really cold.

About the paint match, my front and rear bumpers have been re-painted by my dealer in two different occasions. They first scratched the front by hitting the pole in service area. Then they mess up the paint at the rear when cleaning the tape residue (replace the rear bumper protector) with chemicals. But the color was match.
  • Options
    mkjacksonmkjackson Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a KIA Sorento sometime this year. I am looking for feedback on any problems with the SUV, or likes and dislikes. I live in Central Texas, and we now have 3 local dealership that seemed to have popped up over night, is this a good SUV for the price?
  • Options
    Well the saga continues,

My remote starter on my 2004 LX won't start.

The car starts great with the keys even at -25F
    but the remote starter my dealer installed for a price I dare not say!! won't start below -10C or 14 F !

In one month I will have visited the dealer 4 times come this next Wednesday.

I plan to leave the car so thay can play with it the next morning to fix the silly thing.

One more screw up and I am asking for this thing to be taken of my LX and reimbursed 100%. I will go to another dealer who knows whart they are doing. I can't wait for Spring to roll around cause they will never find the problem !!!

This remote starter really sucks because although I have a fancy glossy pamphlet from my car dealer I have no contact name or 1-800# for the manuf. in the fancy pamphlet so I can't call their Pres. to complain to him directly !!!

I have to wait for my car dealer to fix it :-)

excuses:

Visit one: just an adjustment !
    Visit two: reprogramming required on the
                 starter.
    Visit three: motor "sensor" needed to be
                 repositionned to pick up signal
                 better !

Visit four: ..... I will let you know this week

Visit five: GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK !!!!!!

(I still think the remote starter isn't squirting
     some gas in the cylinder (prime pulse). Dealer says "no that is not it" !
  • Options
    jdesjardins - May I ask what model (name) of the remote starter that you have? I have the Auto Mate by Directed Electronics (same company for Viper, Python, Avital and Clifford) on my other car, an '03 Camry. It works great even at 0F or colder. I plan to install the same system on my Sorento. I hope it will be your last dealer visit for the problem.
  • Options
    to LOOK888

Brand is PREMIER - defense not much to go on like I said I don't even have a 800# to call and complain to them.

It must be a rare company who has so little pride in its name that they don't publish a help line#
    address or something. I'll try a yahoo search on them but I seem to recall that was fruitless the last time I tried.

I am certain if I do reach them they will help me out... unless the dealer fixes the silly thing once and for all BEFORE Spring time comes along
    because next winter they will say the warranty is over !!
  • Options
    Today was visit #4 at the KIA dealer to fix my non starting remote starter (when temps it below 15C)

I intended to leave them my car overnight to test any fixes in the next morning but temp. forecast was -13c.

Picked up the car after work and the dealer told me they at installed a "bypass" on the immobilizer circuit (anti-theft) because the original installation wasn't working,

Turns out the remote starter must defeat the anti-theft function to start the car so they had hidden a spare coded kia key with the micro-chip under the dash to fool the IMMObilizer circuitry thereby simulating the presence of the special coded keys KIA uses. These keys are suppose to have a microchip inside which is remotely sensed when starting the car. this is why you presumably can't get these key cut at WAL-MART.

Anyway... the hidden key scenario was suspected so they rigged a bypassing module which apparently will knock out the remote sensing function for the car to start.

Sounded plausible so I took the car home. Now I am waiting for an artic blast to freeze my LX below -15c or worse -30c so I can try my remote starter again.

All this sounded ok until I asked the repair guy what bypassing the sensor module had to do with the -15c temperature ?? I did not feel the explanation was 100% kosher so I had to ask !

Well I did not get a reasonnable answer on that question cause I still can't figure why the low tempareature would affect the chip code during the sensing of it, by the IMMObilzer circuitry.

The bypass gadget was $33 which I was not asked to pay. I guess it is just a small relay to jump over any missing voltage for an "all clear" to reach the anti-theft logic.

I hope the temperature drops (sounds sick doesn't it) for hell to freeze over so I can test this new bypass gizzmo. I'll report back if it works or not.

Not working will mean visit #5 at the Kia dealer. Never had these problems with my Caravan remote starter for 4 years in any temperature.

By the way I did find the distribubor for the remote starter thanks to Internet and no one else. I called tech.support and left a voicemail with my coordinates.

They never called back. Funny company... no 800# for customer service on their product leaflet and no call back when you do reach them. Maybe the techkie was sick or on vacation where it is warm, sunny and sandy. Jacques Cartier who discovered Canada back in the 1500's was a bummer of a navigator. At least Ponce de Leon homed in on Florida. but.... no red ants in Montreal and no.....TORNADOES !!! :-)
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    you wrote.....
    "Turns out the remote starter must defeat the anti-theft function to start the car so they had hidden a spare coded kia key with the micro-chip under the dash to fool the Imobilizer circuitry thereby simulating the presence of the special coded keys KIA uses. These keys are suppose to have a microchip inside which is remotely sensed when starting the car. this is why you presumably can't get these key cut at WAL-MART."
    I don't understand this, They just had a key under the dash hooked up electrically some how!!! I think these yocals are pulling your key chain. I would take this whole thing back to them and talk to the sales person who sold you the vehicle and start ripping some heads off. After five tries and it dosen't work time to ask for your money back. Electronics are made to work in the worst of temperatures and humidity. I think that they can't figure out what the problem is and they are just playing with you. And actually here in the states at least here in Connecticut you can go to a good alarm shop and they can match and cut many of the soded keys used, including Hyundia and Kia. Dealer wanted 125.00 for a spare chip key for my mothers Buick and a locksmith charged us 45.00 for a new key and no problem working.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've heard of shops putting a spare key up under the dash somewhere to fool the electronics so that remote start can be installed (aftermarket).

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I don't quite follow this. Are we talking about to put spare key under the dash to fool the engine immobilizer on Sorento so the aftermarket alarm system and/or remote starter can be installed? I thought the U.S. Sorento has no engine immobilizer. It would be make sense for Canadian Sorento since there is engine immobilizer. Yes. suvshopper4. They need the mater key when installing an aftermarket alarm system.
  • Options
    have you heard anything from Kia on the door panels
  • Options
    Here is the story.... the way I understand.

The car apparently comes with 3 coded key. These keys act just like a codedID: passcard used to access restricted areas in secured buildings.

(Like the flat credit card sized one's that fit in a wallet)

Such cards are energized by a sensing pad. These cards are sometimes refered to as "proximity cards" because that is all that is required.

As long as they are "within proximity" of the sensing pads they are energized and are either sensed from a distance or they actually develop enough of an internal electrical current to activate a radio signal to the sensing pad, actually, brushing one's wallet or purse close enough will get you in the secured areas...biometrics like eyeball scanners are just a step up the technology ladder.

So it seems Kia uses a proximity sensor near the ignition key. The dealer told me that in order to get the remote starter working, the IMMObilizer must be nutralized by placing one of the non-master keys (my 3rd key) under the dash close to the ignition switch.

When the remote starter applies power to the ignition circuitry, the spare coded key taped under the dash is read (sensed remotely) and the motor starts. Since having a good key under the dash is not very safe should thieves take the hidden key and really start the car, they simply grind the notches out of the key for safety

Seems this arrangement was causing some grief and they found another way around the IMMObilizer.

A special module (I think) is wired in and simply bypasses the anti-theft logic, the Immobilizer no longer needs need a mating coded key to be within proximity anymore to start the car. (The car is still safe because if you press the brake pedal with no key in the switch the engines dies)

I am a telephone guy myself (worked 35 years for 2 telcos) and I am a bit of a techky by training and as a hobby so all this stuff sounds reasonnable to me. I don't have access to Kia documentation nor the dealer's remote starter modules called PREMIER DEFENSE made by Jetstar (from what I found on the Internet).

It could be all bulls....but I can't disprove anything said the me. I just can't see what -15C had to do with all this. Chrysler has no problems!!!

This A.M. outsidetemp was about -13-14C & THE CAR STARTED :-)

I am just waiting for hell to freeze over to really test it before my warranty runs out

p.s. sorry for long note. If you such an arrangement(hidden key to fool the Immobilizer) ...better make certain your hidden key has the notches ground out otherwise..bye bye Sorento
  • Options
    OK now I understand. I work for a electronics comp myself and somewhat techy but this is a new one. I have a 03 Sorento so suppsedly it doesn't have a immobilizer. No coded keys. I am assuming that in Canada they come with an immobillizer. Any one one with U.S. 04 Sorento have this immobilizer.
    I still think they are trying to make excuses on having it work properly.
  • Options
    This past Tuesday, my Kia service department called. They will replace the entire door. I have to take in my Kia and leave it with them for 3 days so they can paint the new door and replace all the glass, etc. I can't tell you how nervous this makes me. I have explained to them that the paint has to match perfectly for me to be satisfied. They have assured that the paint will match. They will wax and polish the whole vehicle for me at the same time.

From what they tell me, this is the only case they have heard of. Which sorta surprises me. But in Kia's defense, my service department has been great with me and very understanding of my concerns. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope the new door looks consistent with rest of the truck.

I'll let everybody know next Thursday how it went. This will be the day my Kia will be finished. For what its worth, it has taken a little over a week to get the new door ordered and recieved. Not bad really. I've had Honda parts in the past take up to 6 weeks to get!
  • Options
    ivygrnsorento - I'm glad to hear the Kia is going to take care of it. That's a lot of labor hours for removing doors, disassemble wires, switches, seals, inner door panels, etc plus painting and put everything back. Maybe you can take some before and after pictures to see how bad they are? Last time, it only took a week for my service to order a new transfer case from CA, shipped here in MA and replaced it on my Sorento. They gave me a rental. I've heard Toyota parts are usually take longer to get because they don't inventory parts.

joboo1 - I don't remember if your doors have permanent impression like ivygrnsorento does.
  • Options
    Hi

I hope that solution works for you. As for me, there is no way you can convince me that having your door(s) painted by a local body shop will be better than having done at the manufacturer. Also, I'm afraid that the doors won't align properly. Please let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    and three days to do the work are VERY reasonable time periods. Let them do their jobs and please do report back to us to see how the job looks when done. This is a strange one and if they give any possible reasons why it's happened that would be useful information as well. Hope it all goes fine!

• Options
    Hi

did you actually talk to a regional Kia representative or was this door issue handled at the dealership level?
  • Options
    dagger1919dagger1919 Member Posts: 1
    On january 4th i purchased a new 2004 EX 4wd sorento. On the 8th engine started to over heat.
    I checked fluid level, there was non showing in receiver. I filler it with antifreeze 50/50 solution. the over heating seem to stop. I called the car dealer told them about the problem and made an appointment to check it out. The dealer found no thing wrong said it must have been an air bubble in the motor.that was 22nd.On the 29th the engine exploded blow the hood almost off.
  • Options
    Well this mornig it was -18c and the remote starter worked.

Guess whatever they did fixed whatever was wrong

will try again at -25 if we dip that low again this winter
  • Options
    dagger1919 - I had a coolant reservoir replaced by the dealer few months ago (early fall) because it was leaking. I saw an unusual amount of water dripping after I parked my car. I thought it was an air conditioner condensation. I even touched it and it felt like water. Few days later, I had no heat. The engine temperature gauge was up to 3/4 most of the time when the engine was running. There was no warning light on. And the coolant fluid was good. My dealer replaced the coolant bottle and things were back to normal.
  • Options
    ... well, I agree with you 100% with your concerns about door replacement, painting, matching, fit issues. All I can do is be a pain in their sides until its perfect.

To answer your question about the reginal representitive... No, I did not talk to he/she. I decided to work through the dealership first. The way I looked at it, if the dealership wasn't willing to work on this with me, then I would have taken this issue up with the reginal representitive. I wanted to avoid the beurocratical BS usually involved with going the route you are. Takes too long in my opinion. And usually the answers they give aren't worth the wait.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure what kind of resolution you are looking for. If you are not willing to have the door(s) replaced and painted. What is your hope? If your hopes are to have your Sorento replaced, I think your not going to be happy with the results. To me, this was the only way to get this issue resolved. I'm not sure what else Kia can possibly do about this for you, me, or anybody. All I can do is hope the techs working on my vehicle can show a shred of pride in their work and make this new door look great. If they don't, the will keep working on it until its perfect. I've got another car, so they can keep the Kia as long as I need them to keep it.

Either way joboo, it sucks this is happening to our new vehicles. I just hope this is a limited production run that is causing this on some vehicles. Have you heard anything from your Kia representitive? Let me know what they have to say. Thanks!!

I just got a call this morning, apparently the repair will not be down until Friday. Thats ok with me. I want them to take there time and get it right the first time.
  • Options
    Alright, my Sorento just survived 2 weeks of freezing weather in St. Louis. I haven't yet noticed any deformation on the doors. I am wondering what is the actual cause of your door problem. That's strange.
    Daggar1919, well, at least you will get a brand new engine put in, under the Powertrain Warranty :)
    BTW, did you know that the Sorento transmission is made in Japan?
    So far, I am very happy with my Sorento. The only thing I am not happy is that I just saw an ad on TV about up to $3,000 off on a new Sorento!!! When I purchased mine, I only got $1,000 off, piss off!
    The only other problem is the wind noise. There is some wind noise coming from the back when I am driving. It's not a big deal, but it can be annoying.
  • Options
    horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    To all you happy Sorento owners,

I have been informed by Kia Canada, that the tow rating for the Sorento 2004 Models is 3500lbs with trailer brakes. The reason for down sizing is, that there maid be a chance that the transmission over heats even so the Sorento has a tranny cooler on the bottom front. I believe the tranny cooler is of minimum cooling capacity. My feeling is, if you increase the cooling from factory to 26.000lbs you should not have any over heating problems. All 2003 models Sorento have 5000lbs tow ratings and Kia will stand behind the warranty.
    Horst1
  • Options
    Not long ago, someone here mentioned the Kia OEM brake pads are not very good and produce more brake dust. I finally noticed the brake dust on the wheels after I washed my car last weekend and made a 400+ miles road trip the next day. I probably didn't realize that in the warm weather time because I wash my car very often. The color of the brake dust was really dark, not brown. I have over 16000 miles on it. What would be the right choice when I need to replace them?
  • Options
    on the brake you can get a set of ceramic brake pads for the Sorento. I had them installed on my Ranger and other cars before we got the Sorento. They are real good, very little brake dust and they resist heat better and are noted not to cause squeeling. Only problem is that you would have to go to Pep Boys or another garage to have them installed. Our Forester brakes constantly squeeled, howled and made growling sounds and the dealer could never fix them. I put on a set of ceramic pads and all was well.
  • Options
    hciaffa - Thanks for the info. What is the name of the product? Or just any ceramic brake pads? What is your experience on this? Anyone has good experience on aftermarket brake pads on Sorento? I was wondering because my friend's Nissan (early 1990s model) had the brake pads replaced with aftermarket parts. They squealed like crazy. But he had no problem with OEM parts.
  • Options
    As I mentioned my only experiance has been with my other vehicles. I so plan to have a set put on this summer. I believe that Bendix brakes has a set for the Sorento's. I remember at the other Sorento forum that someone had gotten a set for his and liked them because of no brake dust.
  • Options
    I just came across an advertisemnet in Popular Mechanics Magazine on a new product by Prestone (www.prestone.com)called Wheel Cleaner with Brake Dust Repellent. The article states that you just have to spray it on then hose off. If real stubborn use a brush. Reapply then spray off again. It is supposeded resuce the amount of brake dust that collects on the wheels. Its a blue spray bottle with yellow top. I'll have to try it. I am a sucker to try things like this. My garage wall looks like Pep Boys with all the different stuff I have tried for my automobiles. And the the numerous items that I tried and threw away.
  • Options
    hciaffa - Thanks again. I am using Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner on my Sorento and Camry. I got the institution size from BJ's. It is great and easy to use. The only problem is the stubborn dirt inside the Sorento's wheels. I think I will remove the wheels and brush it off as my spring clean up project.
  • Options
    UPDATE ON DOOR IMPRESSIONS, I CONTACTED THE KIA REP. RECENTLY AND WAS ADVISED THAT NOTHING HAS BEEN DECIDED. HOW DID THE DOOR REPLACEMENT ON YOUR KIA TURN OUT?