Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,598
    I'm not buying that this award is that important. They're a consulting company to the industry and can make numbers look any way they want.

The biggest gripe I have with this survey is that it applies objective numbers to subjective answers - according to their web site, their survey includes "the emotional response" to the vehicle and the buying experience itself.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    That can be said for the vaunted Consumer Reports survey as well. Nowhere in CR's survey are you queried about the cost of any problem, the downtime as a result of any problem, for that matter, you are not even asked to list the frequency of a problem in a particular vehicle system.

I am not defending the Strategic Vision methodology, just pointing out its very interesting results, witrh the domestic brands almost all at the top, not at all what general public perceptions would ever have you believe. Take it or leave it, it is what it is.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    DUH a car is an EMOTIONAL PURCHASE...Don't even bother to argue with me unless you are driving a Hyundai!

Mar.
    Even if you believe you made your purchase based on "objective" considerations. THATS BUNK...

Your so called objective purchase was the result of your emotional need to feel that you made an objective decision.

One can always find an objective reason that backs up your emotional commitment.

Mark.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Thanks for the stratigic report.. Boy, the Honda/Toyota clan is going to have a hayday with this one! Noway, nohow will a Ford ever beat a Honda or Toyota is the way these folks are locked in.

Like I said, I have found 2 sites that show the Fusion to actually be quicker than the Accord. I am now getting 26.7 MPG in my V6 SEL Fusion on average. I only have about 1500 miles on it too. I feel pretty confident I am easily going to make 29 on average when I hit about 5K.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Yes, there are already a few of them in denial.

Check out the Toyota Camry-2007+ discussion, there are several posts taking pot shots at Strategic Vision, without even looking around Strategic Vision's web site.

I'd post a comment over there, but no sense picking at a scab!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    ford drivetrains are pretty tight. i would guess at least 10-15k to loosen up. my focus has 22k on it. mileage last tank was 32, up from about 30. this tank looks to be similar. all i do is drive it to work and back.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I am getting a solid 26MPG average on my Fusion SEL v6. I drive 21miles one way to work (of which 18 is freeway). I am so far very impressed with the MPG. I'm going to hunt around and see what Accord V6 automatics and Camry V6 automatic owners are getting for MPG.
    With the media constantly bashing into our heads that Ford/GM can in no way ever make a sedan to match Honda/Toyota. I can truely see why you get those that are never going to believe what they read when a Ford or GM product comes out ontop. I wish I had a dollar for every glare/stare from a Honda/Toyota owner I get in my Fusion. This car is severly underated and overlooked by the media. The Fusion is a drivers car no doubt.. As I keep repeating, the handling is superb.. ;)
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 128
    I have a Lincoln Zephyr and given the very small number of them on the road I figured this would be a good place to post. On my first tankful I have only averaged 19.7 mpg per the readout on the dash. This is for about evenly mixed highway and city driving. The EPA ratings are 28/20. I was hoping to come in around 22.

Does the mpg get better over time?

On a related note, I'm a little miffed that Lincoln only shows average MPG and not instantaneous MPG - even my GMC Envoy shows both. But then Ford's "gizmo" levels are always lower than GMs or Toyota for that matter.
    I have a new 2006 Zephyr and the airconditioning seems "weak". Admittedly we have had a few near 90 degree days here, but it seems like the air coming out is not as cold as it in the other vehicles we have (1995 Saab 900 & 2002 GMC Envoy). Also to keep it cool on these warm days I have to have the fan running at a very high setting, which is very noisy. In the other vehicles I can reduce the fan speed after they have cooled down and they maintain their temperature better.

Any Fusion/Milan owners noticing airconditioning problems?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    You have a Zephyr. Why are you not using the automatic climate control?

I'm curious...
    I am using the automatic climate control. I have it set to 67 degrees. Yet it takes a long time to cool and I don't think it reaches anywhere near 67 degrees. I have to manually increase the fan speed and keep it blasting at about 5-6 bars to feel more comfortable. That just completely negates the fantastically quiet cabin feeling of the Zephyr.
    Hit the recirculate button....

When you first get into the car on a hot day, open all the windows and the moonroof and run the A/C in vent mode so that it brings in outside air.

Once all the super hot air is out of the car, close all the windows and moonroof. (usually takes a minute to get the hot air out or less) Hit the recirculate button.

Mark.
  • driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    Are there any pictures of the I-4 with the appearance package? Ford is doing great things with this car and the Mustang. They should continue to be successes for the company. Ford should keep this type of yearly attention up and refined the design and approach upon the redesign instead of starting from scratch. I can't wait to see a manu-shift dropped in the Fusion and the 3.5 V6.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    More toys were added actually as I mentioned months ago, MP3, Sirius, AUX Jack for music, etc. Haven't seen any pictures with the I-4 appearance package. At least not yet, but give it a month or 2...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Description of that package includes "black chrome grille". Would I be correct in assuming one could in some way get that without the rest of the package...by buying the part and replacing the chrome, if nothing else?

I really hate the chrome grille, so I look forward to seeing the car with this new alternate grille.
  • Startegic Vision is just doing this to get mentioned in a Ford commercial...

or meybe its true!

I don't care for the ford insured tuner package, but the availability of a nav is very good.

Finally we are starting to see nav systems in domestics OTHER THAN Cadillacs and Lincolns.

This combined with the more powerful engine (PLEASE!) will put the fusion higher up on peoples charts. Also, Fusion needs mp3 playback jack especially since they featured an ipod on one of the first commercials. The only thing left is for them to add the manumatic.

This car is getting better all the time. It should catch up to the segment leaders right before there next re-design. :sick:

Still, This cars really does give them all something serious to worry about! :D
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    For the Milan, in addition to side air bags, ABS will be standard on all models.

2007 Milan
  • calhoncalhon Posts: 87
    However, recirculation should not be used for extended periods. Auto HVAC systems are designed for normal use with ventilation to maintain proper humidity and air quality. The moisture, CO2 and other gases (pretty nasty at times) emitted by the occupants need to be expelled along with the toxic chemicals emitted from the plastics, carpets, etc. - the lovely new car smell. And there is the need for fresh air (oxygen) to breathe. It's not like a refrigerator - normally no live bodies inside one of those.

Extended recirulation can cause moisture build-up and stinky mold growth inside the HVAC system. In cool or very humid (e.g, rainy) weather, it increases the chances of fogging. These problems are more likely with new cars that are more tightly sealed to reduce noise.