Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I loathe those center-mounted gauges too (having a weak right eye is part of it). Don't count on it changing for production, it's become a trademark (and a great way to cut costs) for the Echo/Yaris. But if the rest of the car is really great, at a good price, I can learn to live with it.
  • Options
    mark63mark63 Member Posts: 27
    http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2005/12/toyota-yaris-18-liter.html

Expect 130 to 180

Corolla will get 2.0L 160 or 170
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I like so many would love to have a five door Yaris. Unfortunately Toyota will only be giving us the four door sedan. People who want a baby camry will like it.(boring imo) . I found the body to be one click above a snooze. The interior in the four door looks to much like an Echo for my taste. Also it does not have the cool cubbie holes and extra bins that the three door has. That said, for people like me the three door is the only option other then a Rio or Versa which Do offer a five door option. I do like the three door a lot. The dash is much better looking imo than the sedan. My only complaint is the up scale look is ruined by the cheap speedo and fuel gauge. Why did we not get the European set up? Toyota? Are you listening? Nah, I didnt think so. Also what is up with no cruise control on the hatch? Luckily there are good aftermarket companies that make units. As much as I like Toyota quality I'm not sure I would give up the utility of a five door. I will have to see what the Fit looks like when it gets here.
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    HEY TOYOTA, Why does Canada get the nice gauge pack in the hatch and we get a single cheap looking speedo? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    Hollywood extra i find is usually a load of crap.
    However, they are about to release a 1.8 yaris in japan, 2ZZ engine 180 - 190 hp......AWD as well ,kinda heavy at ~1100 kg (IMO), but you guys wish you'd be able to get it in the states.
    ">

As a matter of fact, I would'nt rule it out though, as i've read rumors of TRD considering developing a vehicle program like ford's SVT. They already have the awesome TRD Tacoma concept pickup, but it's reported that they dont want to launch with one vehicle.... Yaris TRD anybody?
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "Is not the Fit going to be significantly smaller than the Yaris sedan?"

The US-market Fit will be a 5-door hatchback, not a 4-door sedan. It is very close in length to the Yaris 5-door that will not be sold in the US! :confuse:

There is a 4-door Fit called the Fit Aria, Fit Saloon, or City depending on the region. It is considerably longer than the Fit 5-door and comparable in size to the Yaris 4-door sedan.
  • Options
    carmen1carmen1 Member Posts: 19
    #%&*@%^#$%^ My Yaris got a major hit and run after two month of owning it. Some idiot rammed the passenger door while getting out of the Maple and Broadway liquor store parking lot, even though it was fairly empty on a 11pm night! Me thinks it was a drunk driver. :mad: :cry: :sick:

The seal has been compromised and it's raining a heck of a lot in Vancouver. I'm planning to take the car to an authorized Toyota garage in Burnaby and hope they give me a courtesy car as I don't have the "special" insurance that allows me a courtesy car at other ICBC approved garages.

Has anyone in Vancouver have good experiences getting their Toyota fixed there or any other place?

Forwarning about the Maple and Broadway (IGA / Liquor Store) parking lot. Many staff members and customers have had their cars dinged in this lot due to the idiot drivers.

So far no complaints about the car except that it was once zero degrees one morning and the car took a little extra longer to crank start. I thought this was strange as it is a new car and zero degrees is not all that cold.

Also, I still can figure how to take out the crank from the back of the driver seat. I think this is a dumb place to put it as there is a lot of space in the trunk. During emergencies I don't want to go all over the car looking for the crank when it should be with all the other equipment in the trunk. :confuse:
  • Options
    paulcudlippaulcudlip Member Posts: 33
    The executives at Toyota realize with increased gas prices in the United States, people will be buying smaller vehicles. The Yaris has been a proven winner for Toyota worldwide and with its US entry, will fill another niche that US manufacturers seem to ignore!
  • Options
    adamreyadamrey Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has heard if the iPod accessory is a good option in the new Canadian Yaris. I think the iPod adapter works only in the MP3-capable stereo systems (RS model 6-disc stereo and upgraded 1-disc MP3 stereo in the LE). I wrote Toyota and they said that you can control the iPod and charge it when you attach to the stereo system. Has anybody purchased it? At close to $400, it's a very expensive option.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics!

That has to be the shortest hood I've seen on a car, ever. I wonder how easy it is to service that puppy?
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I like it :D
  • Options
    If Toyota REALLY knew what they were doing, the 5 door Yaris would also be introduced to the US.

They are going to miss out on a lot of people who need more utility and versatility in a car, but want good mileage, quality, and a low price.
  • Options
    mark63mark63 Member Posts: 27
    DO THEY OFFER MOONROOF AS AN OPTION. I HOPE SO....
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I will bet they are not offering the 5-door hatch because of the availability of the xA. I personally think the Yaris looks better than the xA - is that your reason for not considering an xA in lieu of a 5-door Yaris? Or were you speaking generally?

This thing is going to fit my needs to a tee, but I am waiting very cautiously for pricing. The base hatch has no CD, which I would want and which appears to be part of a convenience package that will doubtless raise the price of the car by $1000 for a bunch of stuff of which the only thing I want is the CD. :-(

Still waiting on specs on the Fit too - I bet the Fit will have a standard tach, being a Honda. I like to have a tach. Plus, if the Yaris mimics the xA/xB in the gauge pack, there will be no coolant temp gauge. I like to have one of those too.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    poorjuddpoorjudd Member Posts: 32
    Pricing has been announced.link title

When Yaris goes on sale in the spring it will be positioned as Toyota's most affordable vehicle. The Yaris Liftback will carry a base price of $10,950 for models with a manual transmission and $11,850 for models with an automatic. The Yaris sedan with a manual transmission will be priced at
    $11,825 while models with an automatic will carry a base MSRP of $12,550. The sporty S sedan will carry a base price of $13,325 for models with a manual transmission and $14,00 for models with an automatic.
  • Options
    so a hatch with the convenience package should run around $12K, with (hopefully) a fully optioned hatch (power package, alloys, side airbags and curtains) around $14,5 maybe?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I'd say 3 grand for both packages and alloy wheels sounds about right to me.
  • Options
    "I will bet they are not offering the 5-door hatch because of the availability of the xA. I personally think the Yaris looks better than the xA - is that your reason for not considering an xA in lieu of a 5-door Yaris? Or were you speaking generally?"

I was speaking generally, but I do prefer the looks of the Yaris 5 over the Scion xA. I also think that many people are turned off by the image of the xA and of the Scion brand itself. I personally don't care either way regarding Scion, but I was really hoping to see a Yaris 5-door in the US.
    I will be purchasing a Fit this coming Spring, and while I am pretty much set on that car, I also was considering the Yaris 5-door until I heard it wouldn't be available. Neither the 3-door or sedan offer the kind of versatility I want. Also, I find the Yaris' dashboard setup quite unappealing, but that is no doubt something that one gets used to.

There would be some cannibalization of Scion xA sales from the Yaris 5-door, but in my opinion not enough to really hurt the Scion brand.
  • Options
    the xA is the weakest-selling Scion anyway, and also an older model that will be replaced soon when the JDM ist gets redone. If the Yaris steals a few sales from it for a while, I don't think any harm would be done. And Toyota would hit Honda head on with the 5-door Fit.

Of course, Toyota also has the Matrix, maybe it is being cautious about having "too many" 5-doors in the line-up.

I am sure the base-model Fit will be more expensive than the base Yaris 3-door. The question is what you will get for the extra money. Toyota is treating the hatch like the bargain cheapo of the line - the sedan is altogether nicer inside and has better equipment packages - which is a shame. Toyota remains firmly convinced that the only people who buy compact hatchbacks are cheapskates. :-(

• Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    With the Yaris S pricing, it looks like I can get one optioned up about the same price as my xB.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...a CVT automatic transmission.

Toyota already offers it on the Vitz (as the Yaris is known in Japan); they should at least offer it here on the US-market four-door sedan. With a CVT automatic, at least the car will have something resembling decent acceleration, especially going uphill or inclined freeway entrance ramps.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You've driven the Yaris 4A to know that it doesnt have something resembling decent acceleration right now?

~alpha
  • Options
    Not to make this a discussion about the Fit, because there already is one, so I will do a little Yaris/Fit comparison.

From what I have seen based on the price, and what Toyota has revealed, you are correct that it seems Toyota is perpetuating the small=cheap idea in the US. It really is a shame. Honda has not said anything about the Fit, but some people who seem to have relatively accurate sources say that the car will be equipped at mid-level for the base version with a starting price around $13k. You can probably expect CD, A/C, PW, PM, PL at that price. For safety they will have standard side airbags and standard ABS on all trim lines. The Fit will be more expensive, but better equipped than the Yaris.

If I were Toyota, I would see how the Fit does, and then introduce a well-equipped 5-door Yaris to compete with the Fit. Of course, that should have already been done. :D

The Matrix is much larger than the Yaris. There would be no chance of competition between the two. I find the Matrix far too large for my tastes, while the Yaris 5 would have been perfect.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I think we get it. You want a Yaris 5 in the US. But, its not offered. You'll have the Fit, Versa, Rio, etc to choose from. Toyota is a smart company. A Yaris 5 would cut into the marketability of the next Scion xA, period.

It is pure speculation that a Fit at $13K will have CD, A/C, PW, PM, PL.

We also dont know the final options pricing on the Yaris, so why not wait and see what a 3door HB plus Convenience Pkg and Side Curtains actually costs before lambasting it?

~alpha
  • Options
    hickey86hickey86 Member Posts: 5
    What niche would this be, the small car market? It's not that innovative. small car = good on gas. Although I have to say, the Yaris is way better than the Echo. They're pretty nice looking cars now.
  • Options
    You've driven the Yaris 4A to know that it doesnt have something resembling decent acceleration right now?

Actually, from reading the first drive reviews of the Yaris in the USA most of them felt the four-speed automatic kind of sapped the acceleration power of the car. That's why a CVT on the four-door sedan might be a good choice, since this will allow the 1.5-liter VVT-i engine to be always in the right part of the power curve even in hard acceleration.
  • Options
    "You'll have the Fit, Versa, Rio, etc to choose from. Toyota is a smart company."
    That seems kind of contradictory.
    Toyota IS a smart company, but if you want a car they could have sold, too bad. Oh, look Honda and Nissan have something. I guess you will have to buy from them instead.
    That's not a customer-winning strategy.

Consider a few things regarding the Scion xA:
    -Despite the fact that Scion is doing very well, the xA is still selling the least out of all three models. I don't really think most of the potential xA customers would have dropped their purchase orders to jump in a Yaris 5.
    -While the Scion brand is receiving many older customers, it is still marketed as a youth brand. Many people are turned off by the marketing and the looks of the cars.
    -Does the average consumer need cupholder illumination as an accessory? If I'm not mistaken, the Camry is the best-selling car in the US. It's bland and boring, but it's functional and reliable. Most people just want a car that will get them places, not turn their mineral water neon green. The Yaris could have been like a much smaller, but slightly more exciting Camry. And it will, but at 2/3 of what it could have done.

I wasn't lambasting the Yaris. I think it's a great car. I guess I just live with the mindset that most people want things like power mirrors standard. In my opinion, they should be standard and I don't think I should have to get the Power package (which requires the Convenience package) to get them.

"It is pure speculation that a Fit at $13K will have CD, A/C, PW, PM, PL"
    Why? The Scion xA does...at $13 270 to be specific.
  • Options
    I personally distinguish the power package from a CD player - at this price point, I can understand the power package being optional (although you would think they could include keyless entry in the power package - as it is, it looks like that will be an additional option after purchasing the power package), but I think the CD should be standard. The Koreans are just updating their least expensive cars from standard cassette players, but in a year or so they will all have standard CDs. C'mon, Toyota can manage that too, even in an $11K car.

I would actually want a Yaris without the power package. The convenience package will be around $1000, I figure, and it includes the upgrade to 15" wheels with the CD player, as well as the rear wiper, all things I would really like to have. That puts the price at $12K or so for the Yaris 3-door I would buy, and am in fact thinking of buying, depending on what you can get in a $13K Fit.

I figure the side airbags and curtains will be about $650 - that is the cost in every other Toyota model where they are optional, and I assume they will be stand-alone in the same way. I would skip them at extra cost. I would however want alloy wheels if I could get them on a 3-door equipped only with the convenience package. I suspect that while this will theoretically be possible, Toyota will only actually build loaded models to include alloys.

As for the Fit, I do not expect to get all that stuff listed above at $13K. I am hoping they will put in the A/C and CD at that price, but not really expecting it. I figure it will cost around $15K to get a model with those items, and probably other stuff I would happily do without, in which case I will probably give it a miss.

It would be nice if Toyota built vehicles with single options, rather than packages. But I know that NOT doing so is part of how they save costs and thereby make better cars available.

• Options
    mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    nice pics.
    but the 4 doors is ugly, the 2 doors is cute.
    we were thinking of picking up the 5 doors version.
    :mad: guess that's not gonna happen :cry:
    who else were hoping and waiting for the 5 doors.

guess, we'll see some of you on the honda(fit)'s board :P
  • Options
    Tell me what is wrong with the xA? It is about 13k, and it is a pretty good little car.

A Yaris 5 would could just about the same amount, and no manufacturer would ever do that.
  • Options
    "Tell me what is wrong with the xA?"
    Nothing.
    ...and for the price you can get an excellent array of standard features.
    However, I would prefer a somewhat more subdued-looking car like Yaris or Fit. I would have purchased a Scion xA if I knew the two I just listed were never being introduced to the US. I just don't understand Toyota's marketing strategy for reasons I gave in previous posts.

Even now, just one or two posts ago someone made a comment about wanting a Yaris 5 and would consider the Fit. Well, that's another potential sale lost for Toyota. Sure a few sales is nothing, but it will add up.

"No manufacturer ever doing that"
    Have you seen the new RAV4?
    It is within a few inches of the Highlander in size, has almost as much cargo room, it weighs less, has a larger, more powerful V6 (and 4-cyl for that matter), gets better mileage, has an optional third row seat, and costs less. Here is an example were I see cannibalization of a model really occuring...and these two cars are under the same make, not like the xA and Yaris.
  • Options
    I've seen the new Rav4. The most expensive Rav4 starts at 22,555. The least expensive Highlander starts at 24,530.

The Highlander is larger in every dimension. And of course the Highlander can be ordered as a Hybrid.

A 5 door Yaris would be almost identical to a xA. What is worse is the price would also be almost identical.

I do agree with you about the looks. The xA is not attractive at all. That is the main reason why it does not sell very well. I believe they will fix that in the next generation.
  • Options
    The xA is not attractive at all. That is the main reason why it does not sell very well. I believe they will fix that in the next generation.

That's why I'm hoping the Scion xA replacement will be based on the Toyota Ractis tall wagon that went on sale in Japan back in October 2005. :)
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Complete pricing listed anywhere?

Looks like I will be driving 60 miles a day for the next two years - will need something that gets better mpg than my GTO.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    for the same reason that the xA isn't, imho. I think the fact that it has only 2 doors will detract from it's appeal, not to mention the tinny look of the car. On the other hand, the Yaris sedan will do great - looks like a small Mazda 3 but with more rear leg room.

The newly introduced Toyota Ractis would have been a much better product for the American market.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure about that. The 3-door is as cute as a button, and it's inexpensive yet from ultra-reliable Toyota--qualities that should make it a hit with parents buying cars for their kids, and for young people needing a good car for around campus or around town.
  • Options
    To my eyes, the Honda Fit or the xA are more stylish and functional than the Yaris 2 door hatch. And by the time you get a reasonably equipped Yaris, you'd be looking at probably about $13.5-14K (with the usual Toyota options games), including transportation. Why not spend another thousand $ for the Fit, especially when the cost will be amortized over several years?
  • Options
    "To my eyes, the Honda Fit or the xA are more stylish and functional than the Yaris 2 door hatch."
    It's all in the number of doors. A 5 door has versatility that a 3 door lacks, and a sedan couldn't dream of.

It's not just the Fit that looks more stylish. I truly think the Yaris 5 has a more substantial look. I know it's the exact same car plus 2 doors, but it looks both "cute" and useful. It also doesn't appear as cheap as the 3 door.
  • Options
    chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Every time I see a Yaris, I want say "aww" and pet it. It almost has a Miniesque effect on me.
  • Options
    I agree - the 5 door Yaris looks good, actually better than the xA. But to me the 3 door Yaris does look tinny and cheap, sort of the same cheap look as that of a Geo Metro. That's why I'd rather spend a thousand $ more and get the Fit.

I think Toyota is making a mistake in offering the 3 door Yaris - they probably think offering the 5 door Yaris would cannibalize sales of the xA. Why not give customers what they really want?
  • Options
    barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    I'm not sure the 5 door looks any better thant the 3 door (I've seen both, and neither looks "tinny and cheap"). But there's no doubt the 5 door adds a huge amount of utility. In day to day use, being able to easily throw stuff (not necessarily passengers) into the back seat gives the 5 door a huge advantage.

I suspect the 3 door will be bought mostly by entry level buyers and the college crowd. Toyota's missing a significant marget segment by not offering the 5-door in the U.S.

Fortunately, I live in Canada. :-)

Barn
  • Options
    doubledouble Member Posts: 44
    Not always true on who will buy these small vehicles. I presently have two other vehicles in the driveway but decided to drive this little rocket. The Ford van and Miata now stay home. 3dr, LE package ,stick/AC. :blush:
  • Options
    starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    http://hondanews.com/CatID2150

Interesting parallels - 1.5L engine, torsion bar rear suspension, two trim levels, and the interesting stuff such as CVT remain unavailable for now. Fit has no factory options other than trim & transmission - side airbags are standard, uplevel Sport gets the goodies such as cruise control, fog lamps, MP3 input, paddle shifts on the autobox. Expected starting price about $13k.

It has worse estimated EPA economy than the Yaris - manual 33/38, 5sp auto 31/38. I'll have to see and drive the Yaris & Fit to see which one we're going to get, or if we'll fork out the additional $2k for a Civic/Corolla/Mazda3 class vehicle.
  • Options
    Everybody dislikes the 4AT on the Yaris. The Fit's 5AT unit is based on the excellent 5AT unit used on the 2006 Civic, well-known for its crisp and smooth shifts, automatic shift down to lower gear when going downhill for engine braking, and no "hunting" between gears during acceleration going uphill. :)
  • Options
    I know for me personally I am interested in the Yaris because it will be offered in a 3 door hatch. I have no interest in driving a sedan or any vehicle that has 4 doors.

And while I know I am not in the majority, where there is 1 there is always more.

I wouldn't consider the Honda Fit simply because it is a Honda. No thanks.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    From looking at the Toyota website, it looks like options are pretty minimal and don't include a moonroof. Like most of the new wave of subcompacts, they have to withhold certain options to differentiate them from the next-up compact (in this case Corolla). Said simply, it only makes sense from a sales and marketing standpoint to not offer moonroof, high end audio, leather on the Yaris to encourage customers who want those kinds of things to move up their model line to Corolla.
  • Options
    Most dealers have aftermarket sources for both leather and monnroof installations. These usually are just as good as the stuff from the manufacturers.
  • Options
    even the uplevel Fit won't have a moonroof either. I guess manufacturers think that subcompact buyers don't want or can't afford a moonroof?

The $13K Fit will have 14" steel wheels, so if you want the 15"ers, it is much cheaper to get them in the Yaris (as part of the convenience package). But you won't have a lot of other equipment that the Honda makes standard. And the $15K Fit Sport will have 15" alloys standard.

Honestly, it appears the Fit will be the better deal for most buyers, and will have that Honda driving experience, but OTOH, it will cost more to get into, if what you want is an inexpensive no-frills commute car. In that case, or if the fuel economy is especially important (Fit's numbers are disappointing), the Yaris seems to be the better choice.

Now if Toyota can JUST GET IT THROUGH ITS HEAD that it should build lots of base cars, and not so many loaded ones, UNLIKE what it did with the Echo, it just may corner a market. Of course the Accent and Rio (Aveo too) are strong sellers, so maybe not.