Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• Options
    dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    My Sport shimmied really bad after the first tire balance and rotation at 5,000 miles. Took it back three times and on the third trip I found out the shop reduced the air pressure to 26lbs, which is the recommended tire pressure. Told them to re-check and raise tire pressure to 30-32lbs. Who-la, no more shimmy. I have the Yokahama tires and feel that on this vehicle they needed to be inflated more. At 26lbs and going over 50, they felt like they were flopping.

Tires. At 30,000 and faithfully balance and rotating every 5,000, the fronts started to scallop. I feel the camber is off by factory specs. I think this contributes to the vehicle wanting to wander left and right down the road if there is worn groves on the highway. I am going to bring this up to my Mitsu Dealer and see what happens. By the way, the camber, I feel, is tilting the wheels to much inward at the bottom of the tire.
  • Options
    mysport2000mysport2000 Member Posts: 11
    Well on the way into work I decided to stop by the dealer and share my shimmy concerns. The tech drove with me and said its the worst case he's seen at 40-50mph. They will replace rods, bearings - basically the whole assembly under warrantee. Had to leave it all day as its a 4 hour job. This is happening to many of these sports at my mileage. Just glad it happened before 36K. Going up north with it tonight, I'll report the results. No help on the scalloped tires though.
  • Options
    jaw2000jaw2000 Member Posts: 133
    The tires are a result of the other work, just my opinion.

But I had to wait a day, and lose a days work to have the morons provide me a new battery under warranty.

Gotta love a maker who thinks customer service means giving me the business.

Another reason that I dispatched mine.

Glad that you at least seem to have half the problem resolved -- with no issues. Hope it stays smooth, ask if the tires aren't hosed due to the other stuff that they had to replace?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "All in all, the weekend was a hit, and we learned something new, to boot. Finishing where we did was just a bonus and a testament to our Montero Sport's offroad ability, Mark's driving, Petra's calculating, good teamwork and a little handheld device called a GPS."

A Rally Good Time!
  • Options
    I corrcect myself, the control arms had to be replaced - not rods. Substantial difference in handling. Still need to replace the tires though. Ugh...
  • Options
    Another good site on the Montero Sport is back up and running. 'Montero Sport Garage'.
  • Options
    rjs13rjs13 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 Montero Sport and while driving back home I noticed a grinding/metal friction type noise. I first thought it sounded like when the break is out or there are brake dust but when I went back to the dealership to have it check, I was notified by the service manager that this is a common issue on all Montero Sports transmission and there is nothing wrong with the car. Does anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    mmh22mmh22 Member Posts: 2
    I just had my brakes checked at 37K miles on my 2001Sport, and the repair shop told me I need to replace both front and rear brakes at a cost of $588 (432 front/156rear)!! They said that the front brakes need new rotors. I thought you usually get some kind of warning (noise) when your pads get low? They said these rotors don't allow for much room for turning/resurfacing so now I need to replace pads and rotors. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  • Options
    Look at your rotors. If they have large groves on the surface that are deep, you will have to replace the rotors. If they are small groves, you can have the rotors turned. If it is smooth, which I doubt, and not warped, then you need only new pads.

Should have there been a noise when worn? Yes. Unfortunately, that noise would be metal on metal noise, thus the pad was totally gone, and rotors damaged. They do not have a wear indicator noise maker.

Get a second opinion. Shop around for a better deal. May not find one.
  • Options
    mmh22mmh22 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I'm not very mechanical - how does one look at the rotors? Can they been checked easily?

I think I will get another opinion, but I don't have much time. Will I cause even more damage if I don't get this fixed soon?
  • Options
    If you can see through your wheel, you will see the rotor. If you cannot see through the wheel, you have to remove it to see the rotor. It is just a round metal plate that the brakes squeeze onto, in simply terms.

Will it cause more damage? Possibly. Could start to damage the calipers that hold the pads. More cost. Right now I would say you don't have much front braking which is dangerous. Need to get them fixed ASAP!
  • Options
    Took my 2000 LTD 4X4 Sport into my dealer today to have the front end aligned. Tires were cupped on the outside edge pretty bad. Noticed that from my last tire rotation. Done every 5000 miles.
    Anyway, they called me and told me to come pick it up. No charge. Under warranty. For they also had to replace both upper control arms. The bearings were shot on both of them.

SO, I had a talk with the mechanic, and found out that he has replaced several. A common problem on the Sport. Said Mitsu is working on a fix, but have been dragging there feet and keeping it hush, hush. (Oh boy!) He has not replaced any on 2001 or 2002 models yet, but he said the arms do not look any different. I have 31,000 miles. Said he has seen them go as long as 70,000 on ones had to replace. This is a problem on all Sports since they have been manufactured.

My Sport has been a good unit so far. If I had to pay for the cost, the mechanic said it would be around $100.00 - 150.00 cost to do both.

MY concern is that Mitsu. has been caught on a cover up of defects a couple of years ago. Thought they would have learned. Maybe they have and are replacing these at a no charge. But I doubt it.

If you are having front end vibration or excessive tire wear, I would get it checked out. I hope someone for Mitsu. Headquarters reads this and gets the lead out to correct a known problem.

I still feel this is a quality rig, but has some bugs, like most vehicles.
  • Options
    These afflictions are all related to the front end, control arms etc. I had the exact same problem with my 2000 ls and really had to be persistant with the dealer. Thank god it happened before 36K or I would have been out more that the price you were quoted (it must've been parts only). Now the vibration occurs only at certain speeds and is much less pronounced. I guess new tires are next on the list but feel the defect caused the uneven tire wear.
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct about the arms causing your tires to scallop. My mechanic informed me that once they go bad the tires will scallop/cup fairly quickly. I had no tire problems until the last 5000 miles. It is very visible on the tires. He noticed it as well.

Should Mitsu. warranty the tires. Probably. But you know they won't or even pro rate them. The little clause on all vehicle manufactures that the tires are covered under the tire manufacturer warranty. But, if the vehicle causes the excessive wear, the auto manufacturer should cover them. I know in some cases they have. Just depends on the dealer. Do not know if the dealer just pick up the cost and did not pass it on to the manufacturer.
  • Options
    azgainersazgainers Member Posts: 4
    Hi all. I've been reading the posts for the past couple weeks and am now just chiming in. I have been researching mid/full sized suv's for the past 1-2 mths and am very close to finally buying. I almost pulled the trigger on a new LS today. It's for my wife and she loves the way it drives. We have a 99 Pontiac Montana extended minivan that she doesn't like because she doesn't feel like she sits high enough in. The minivan has been awesome for me when I drove it for 3 yrs. It was like having a truck once you took the 2nd/3rd row of seats out. I now have a company car to drive and the lease on her 98 Honda CR-V is up, which was another great car. The MS definitely fills the bill for her though. Question. How are the 2002's going price wise? Invoice? above invoice? I don't really know what to think quite yet. The "market" on cars right now is that they're going at or below invoice. How is that for the MS??? I want to add the upgraded stereo system, but has anyone done that? Is it worth the extra $. My mind is already made up that we are getting the MS, but I want to know a little more about possible price going in before I sign away. BTW....Can't beat that 1.9% for 60 mths!!!!! We were also considering the Chevy Tahoe, but am just more impressed by the MS. I would appreciate ANY input. I look forward to being a part of this "board" and hopefully it is to express how happy I am w/the car. It is GREAT to have the forum to talk over possible problems though. No car is perfect, and one must remember that any time they get a vehicle, no matter how much it costs!!!!
  • Options
    Welome to Town Hall and thanks for chiming in. Sounds like you are having fun researching - good luck!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    azgainersazgainers Member Posts: 4
    I have seen this listed in previous posts and was wondering how to access it. Is it thru the townhall?? Now that I'm going to be buying the MS I will be keeping on top of all issues, 'how to' repairs, problems etc... Thanks for the wuick welcome Steve. I am an 'insurance claims adjuster' (one of the bad guys!!!) and have Edmunds bookmarked as 1 of my sites that I use religiously w/regards to vehicles and see your name on most SUV sites. How do I get that job???
  • Options
    The 'Montero Sport Garage' is a competing forum, so I can't tell you how to find it. But a google.com search would probably turn it up .

I'm only on Edmunds Town Hall's SUV sites (with my co-host Tidester). If you see me elsewhere, it's a pale imitation :-)

And there's lots of insurance related discussions in the Finance/Warranty/Insurance Board if you can't get enough action in here.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    I was a MS owner. I now have a Suburban, for several reasons, that I mainly won't go into.

I had one of the MSs that shook pretty badly at certain speeds, and it ultimately did not make me feel that my family was safe in it.

It also got overcrowded relatively fast -- maybe that is one reason I went to the Suburban.

Lastly my 2000 MS LS cost exactly $8 per 6 mos less than my 2002 Sub LS, which is bigger, cost more and is newer, so I suspect that the Ins. co feels the Sub is a safer auto as well, by the way my mileage went down only (if you can say only) about 2 mpg in each case -- not much for the added size gain and safety.

DO not get me wrong, I enjoyed the MS, but the shake became more than I could tolerate, and service was a fight all the time -- warranty service that is.

Get you feel best meets your needs, the Garage (whereever it went) has much data on the shake thing, the service thing and lots of happy MS owners.

Good luck with your decision.

It can be a great vehicle, and they may have resolved the shake problem -- if so that already makes it better than 00 was.
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    LOOKING FOR A DEALER IN MY AREA. HAS anyone purchased this suv for invoice or a few hundred over. i'm looking for montero limited. thanks to all who respond. brian from staten island

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    berthelotberthelot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00' Montero Sport with 28K. At around 14K, I noticed something weird with the shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. I brought the car to the dealership not once but three times before they realized that a TSB was issued regarding the problem. Apparently, the fix was to reprogram the PCM module... Well that worked for about 3 mos and the shifting problem happened again. In early December, I contacted the dealership to discuss to problem and finally got a hold of the Mitsu. Rep. Dropped off my car for ONE week while they adjusted the transmission pressure???. Well again, it worked for about 5 mos. You guessed it, the problem came back and apparently the new fix is to replace a badly designed A/T valve body.
    Help... Has anyone dealt with the problem? Help!
  • Options
    cmay2cmay2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem since the day I bought it. I have been returning it frequently for them to only realign and tighten the torque. I have been through 2 sets of tires and going on my third. The current set is so bald. I am below average on mileage on the car and have kept up the rotating etc. Mitsubishi is not willing to help me out. I want out of this car and they won't do anything .Anyone else having a problem?
  • Options
    augustroseaugustrose Member Posts: 3
    i am researching to purchase this car too.. and i got an offer $100 above invoice. i still think that i should get it at either invoice price or 1% less. (that means, the dealer can earn 2% or maybe more...). ... although i've read that there're quite many problems with this car. having a second thought.

hi everyone, i'm new at this townhall and i'm from the city of angels.

-AR
  • Options
    You should not ever pay more than invoice minus and incentives.

I was able to get that deal (I no longer have mine, see earlier posts), ON THE PHONE from several dealers.

And the one I went owned up to the phone price.
  • Options
    piwitopiwito Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I have a '02 montero sport, recently I notice a rattling noise coming from the ac compressor (I think) when the ac is on. I have not talked to the dealer yet, Just wondering if any one out there
    might have the same situation.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rr_tigerrr_tiger Member Posts: 2
    I've recently moved to a state requiring front license plates. After getting my new plates, I realized that the front side holes on my MS were too wide apart to fit the standard size plates.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do?...drill new holes?
  • Options
    dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    I too have a slight noise in my 2000 Monty Sport XLS. It's not a metalic noise, but sourt of sounds like a plastic type. Usually when I keep it at a low level...
  • Options
    jaykeljaykel Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I have a MS 2002 XLS and I've been reading about changing the transmission pan to a bigger one to avoid over heating. Does anyone knows if the 2002 models have a bigger transmission pan?
  • Options
    cybersly007cybersly007 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to purchase a 2002 MS, I have heard the actual mpg is not that good. Any comments on this. Also how about insurance rates over other SUV's?
  • Options
    hikr2bhikr2b Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at a 1999 MS LTD with 93,000 miles. Seems to drive real well. No greasy spots on the under side. The body and interior appear to be in good if not excellent shape. Mechanically - I just don't know. How many miles can one expect to put on this SUV before serious repairs are needed? Is this MS LTD worth $12,000? Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    gkscottgkscott Member Posts: 1
    I own the 2000 MS XLS and have been having so many problems with the front-end alignment and balancing that I gave up on the Service dept. I was constantly taking my truck in to get a front-end alignment and wheel balancing. It seemed as though the service dept. could never get it right. My steering wheel still shakes and the truck rides like the old 18-wheelers. It does not have a smooth ride at all. Just replaced all 4 tires at 40,000 miles, wheel balancing and alignment. Still drives and rides awful. I should have been able to get at least 20,000 more miles on those tires. Also, when I have two 11-year olds in the back seat, it seems as though I have two 300-lb people back there. No suspension at all. Took it back to the service dept. and they said that those were the right shocks/struts for that vehicle. Wanted some heavy-duty shocks on it but they recommended against it. My sunroof rattles every time I open it to the point where I just keep it closed. They tried fixing it but could not. I also get this rattle noise inside the vehicle when I'm driving down the highway. My husband has tightened even thing up in the truck that he could, but still get the rattling. I brought the vehicle in 10/1999, in VA. I was pleased with it for about the 1st 5-6 months. After that, I started having major problems and the service dept. either did not care or was just lousy at fixing them. Is there anyone out there experiencing these similar problems?
  • Options
    There was a Montero Sport Garage website, maybe you can find it. Also a David Bickman (I can't remember if that spelling is correct though.

I began having similar problems, but not as pronounced as you describe, mine was a '00 LS 4WD model, bought in MD (though I live in VA). My advice is use a different service company and or find a good local mechanic.

Also look up service bulletins that may help you.

There is some inherent problem with some of these autos, I have never found a solution.

We traded ours in on a 02 Suburban as we needed more space and the ability to get out of our own way (more power) among other things.

I have never regretted making the decision to lose that Mitsu, and I was a generally loyal Mitsu person, with 2 others prior to that and a Dodge that had a Mitsu engine.

Good luck, and if you are considering Stohlman for service, I never ever had good luck with them and had to submit 2 formal complaints on them on service issues (with other Mitsus, not the Montero Sport).
  • Options
    yohoopyohoop Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 in March 2002 from Bell Mitsubishi in Rahway, NJ. In the last six months I've gotten a new radio and the front rotors resurfaced. On top of that, I've taken it to the dealer to have them take a look at the transmission because it has been slipping on and off since about 2k miles (currently has 5k). Not surprisingly, they can't seem to find anything wrong and refuse to give me a loaner for a few days in order to keep mine to find the problem. Service is horrible. The truck is also very sluggish. I guess you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    rolling1rolling1 Member Posts: 7
    Berthelot. I'm currently having the same problems.The dealer told me that I'm getting close to me service on my trans. Did changing the valve body take care of your problem
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    continuing into 2003???...this board seems to have gone dry...has it morphed into some other topic that I have missed on the list of topics???
  • Options
    I was told they couldn't fix my alignment until I purchased new tires (at 40K). Went to Direct Tire, bought 265 70 16 TOYO AT's and it was much better, no vibrations at 50mph's, less struggling with the steering wheel to travel straight. These symptoms are starting to come back already, I know the tire place is going to blame it on the truck and vice versa with the dealership. The dealership will say the tires are the wrong size, though they look cool. This may be something one has to live with or move on to another vehicle.
  • Options
    I moved to another vehicle, one that has all the room that I need and some headroom too.

A Suburban. Yes it is not the same, but the shakes at speed are a danger, and they are gone from my automobile.

Good luck and safety to you with yours.
  • Options
    I too have a 2000 Sport XLS. I also want to buy 265/70/16 for my vehicle. I'm afraid of all the horror stories. My neighbor and I have identical trucks. He bought the stock 255s and is having pulling problems and vibration. Back when I bought mine, I brought it back 3 times and then gave up. It doesn't pull as much anymore but has too much play in the wheel. That is why I'm afraid to buy new tires because of added problems.
  • Options
    cstewart4cstewart4 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a Montero Sport with a 3.5L V6 engine. The rated towing capacity is 5000 lbs. I will be towing a boat that weighs 5000 lbs. At times depending on the equipment, it may even weigh a little more than 5000 lbs. I currently use a 1997 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.7L V8 to tow it with no problems. The Tahoe's rated towing capacity is 5500 lbs. Can the Montero Sport tow 5000 lbs. comfortably, or would it be really struggling? Thanks for the info.

Chip Stewart
    cstewart@lexpharma.com
  • Options
    I have a 2000 LTD 4X4 and tow a 2500# boat. It does fine on the boat, but I would not want to tow anything around 5000# on a regular basis. Not enough truck for the job. Motor and tranny would be taxed to the limit. Your Tahoe is a far better choice.
  • Options
    Putting replacement stock 255 Geolandars isn't going to solve or make the problem worse.

Get the ones you like even 265 75 16's for example cause they'll fit, my 265 70 16 AT tires made the ride seem more stable and a little less susceptable to going with the crown in the road (causing a drift to the left or right - good for drainage, bad for sports).

Slight vibe at 47 mph's, luckily I rarely travel that speed and have adopted varied lane choice on the highway to even out the ride and lessen arm fatigue. If you're still under warranty, you may want to have your control arms replaced prior to purchasing new tires.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Thank you for responding. Can you tell me what control arms are?
  • Options
    I cannot even pretend to be a mechanic but, the tech who drove my sport with me in the passenger seat figured that because the truck was responding the way it was after the alignment had just been done could only be due to a problem with the front-end/steering of which control arms are components (there should be a TSB on it).

The added play in the wheel was also an issue. Whether or not the arms caused the scalloping of my tires (see my previous posts) or vice versa, I'm still not sure.

This should be covered under your warrantee. Let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    fleet59fleet59 Member Posts: 1
    Misubishi doesn't make any Kayak/canoe accessories for my 2000 Sport factory roof rack. Does anyone know any aftermarket manufacturers that do? Or does someone make a rack that will fit the Sport with the existing factory rack?
  • Options
    Check the fitment guides at Yakima.com or Thule.com for starters.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ronamrironamri Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the purchase of a 2002 or 2003 Montero sport XLS. I have a 1998 GMC Junkie (errr Jimmy) but am concerned about all of the transmission problems posted on the site. Anyone have a good experience with the 2002 models?
  • Options
    I have a 2000 LTD 4x4 Sport. Had the transmission re programed for the shift flare and it has worked perfectly ever since. The shift flare was, more or less, a computer glitch. I do not think the 2002 or 2003 should have this problem.

One added feature to the 2003 model, is that it has a 1" higher roof. A feature that would be nice for taller people.
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    New here. My 2000 has auto trans shifting problem where it won't go into gear when its cold out, esp. after its been sitting. dealer cannot see or feel the problem, anyone have this. It was in Drive, is ok at first, then come to a stop, and when pulling away, it just sits there as if it cannot get into gear. Goes away after 5 minutes or so. need anything anyone has as to simialr problems.fixes, esp. any TSB's!!! Help please!!! Feel free to emial me also if needed to ketch@att.net

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    hbakrhbakr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if 2000 Montero Sports have Anti-Knock Sensors?
  • Options
    Ketch, did you get any help? Any solutions?

Steve, Host