Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We drove to Mexico today.

Went to Columbus NM about 2 hours from here, and walked across the border to Palomas. It's a pretty dead little border town but we managed to spend $350 at this place:

The Pink Store

They give you a free margarita when you walk in the door, so that helps lubricate the wallet.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,574
    stever said:

We drove to Mexico today.

Went to Columbus NM about 2 hours from here, and walked across the border to Palomas. It's a pretty dead little border town but we managed to spend $350 at this place:

The Pink Store

They give you a free margarita when you walk in the door, so that helps lubricate the wallet.

I was a little worried about what a place in Mexico with that name might be all about.. Also thought you were a pretty big spender.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    As my wife tells it, we "saved" $500. :p
  • Options
    stever said:

We've been saving enough money to go broke... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    stever said:

Looks like a neat shop and restaurant. How was the food or did you just drink lunch? I have been wanting a bird water dish in those bright colors. Lost my appetite for crossing into TJ. I do have friends in Tecate I should go visit.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Food was so-so, but the drinks were good. Funny how much better my Spanish gets after one little margarita. ;) They have a store in Silver City NM if you don't want to cross the border for some reason. Went to El Paso today to catch a flight to LA and had tapas for lunch downtown. Great meal. Nice being able to fly out here without wasting an entire day doing it, and worrying about O'Hare getting backed up by weather.

The most fun part of the day was driving down the backroad (Highway 28) all the way to El Paso. We got stopped for ten minutes just south of Las Cruces and got to watch the plantation workers mechanically shake the nuts loose from the pecan trees and sweep and blow them off the road for the vacuum (?) to pick up. Quite the operation. About a third of the "human" rakers appeared to be female college students. The job looked more dusty than hard.
  • Options
    I flew in and out of El Paso a couple times when my folks lived in Roswell. Cheaper to fly in there and rent a car. And as you know it is a beautiful drive up through Ruidoso. I love the roads less traveled like your adventure on 28. Looks like it is all agriculture through there. I would imagine El Paso is one of the places least likely to have air traffic problems. An hour to the airport is not bad at all. I think my flying days are over. Too much of a hassle. And road trips are more relaxing for me. We try to never get in a hurry. Always a Hampton Inn or Best Western to stay over night.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Singing road in New Mexico prompts drivers to stick to the speed limit (wthr.com)

Naturally it's on Route 66 up near Albuquerque. Have to go check it out.

Next up - adopt a highway. You pay for the road construction and you can imbed your jingle in the asphalt.

"See the USA, in your new Chevrolet..."
  • Options
    "Get your motor running... head out on the highway.."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,501
    kyfdx said:

"Get your motor running... head out on the highway.."

Really?

"I can't drive 55" - would be fun to embed this in a section of road with an 80-85 MPH speed limit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    When I was a kid, my father had a job transfer to LA, but then ended up staying put. Quite the disappointment for a kid back in the early 60's. I've always envisioned driving out there in a 59 Impala flat top. Actually, about 5 years ago I did drive quite a bit of Route 66 in a Hertz Buick. I thought that American beast was an appropriate vehicle for the trip B) and enjoyed it a lot.
  • Options
    With gas prices at the lowest in 6 years and the perils of Airline Travel, a lesisurely road trip seems to be in order. As much as we love Hawaii, we refuse to go through the ordeal of flying anymore. I think this lady should have picked someplace to ski where she could drive as well.

Mamakos, a registered nurse, was in an empty exit row emergency seat and was told this would be a costly upgrade.

“At that point I decided no, I’m not paying $109 and I’ll go back to my seat,” she said.

Seated now, resigned to her crowded row, an announcement was made.

“I heard the captain say ‘There is a lady that wants to get off the plane on this flight, so we have to wait,” she said.

Flight attendants then surrounded her.

“And said ‘You have to get off this plane.’ And I said ‘no, I paid for this seat and I’m going to stay here,'” she said.

Mamakos was eventually booked, fingerprinted and had her mug shot taken before she was sent to the county jail. Her bags and her shocked friends went on to Alaska.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/23/cbs2-exclusive-li-woman-sues-united-airlines-following-arrest-on-flight/
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    gagrice said:

With gas prices at the lowest in 6 years and the perils of Airline Travel, a lesisurely road trip seems to be in order. As much as we love Hawaii, we refuse to go through the ordeal of flying anymore. I think this lady should have picked someplace to ski where she could drive as well.

Mamakos, a registered nurse, was in an empty exit row emergency seat and was told this would be a costly upgrade.

“At that point I decided no, I’m not paying $109 and I’ll go back to my seat,” she said.

Seated now, resigned to her crowded row, an announcement was made.

“I heard the captain say ‘There is a lady that wants to get off the plane on this flight, so we have to wait,” she said.

Flight attendants then surrounded her.

“And said ‘You have to get off this plane.’ And I said ‘no, I paid for this seat and I’m going to stay here,'” she said.

Mamakos was eventually booked, fingerprinted and had her mug shot taken before she was sent to the county jail. Her bags and her shocked friends went on to Alaska.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/23/cbs2-exclusive-li-woman-sues-united-airlines-following-arrest-on-flight/

wow. A $109 upgrade for an exit row?

SO glad I don't travel for work anymore. I really learned to HATE United...

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,184
    If you're going to Alaska (or anywhere in the PNW), fly Alaska - sometimes the entertainment is lacking, but the service is usually decent.

Off to the coast soon, hopefully the rain has let up.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    "Off to the coast soon, hopefully the rain has let up."

Coming down BUCKETS here.

And sideways.

I have standing water on part of my property, which has only happened a few times in the 22 years I've lived here.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    My sister drove to TN a day before the weather hit her house in VA. Meanwhile the tornado down in Columbia MS missed my aunt's house by a (literal) mile. Stuff needs to calm down for our New Year's drive back East.

(My sister used to work for United btw, and I got the occasional free pass. Never liked flying them. Got a sandwich one time with a bite out of it - at least I didn't have to pay for it back then. Recently booked on Alaska to get to LA. Naturally it was a puddle jumper run by SkyWest under contract to American. Ah, codesharing.)
  • Options
    slorenzen said:

And sideways.

I have standing water on part of my property, which has only happened a few times in the 22 years I've lived here.

My daughter in law says the Cottage Grove rain is not as bad as Indiana. And it is a lot warmer than Indiana and Alaska. I'm hoping the rain takes a break in April when we drive back up to see them. Maybe your diesel will be under two bucks by then... B)
  • Options
    My daughter-in-law just completed her Christmas trip from Colorado Springs to St. George, UT. She took the southern route (I-25 to I-40) to avoid the winter weather and traffic on I-70 through the mountains. She said the weather was great and the scenery beautiful. But, it was a much longer drive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    gagrice said:

slorenzen said:

And sideways.

My daughter in law says the Cottage Grove rain is not as bad as Indiana. And it is a lot warmer than Indiana and Alaska. I'm hoping the rain takes a break in April when we drive back up to see them. Maybe your diesel will be under two bucks by then... B)
    Well, the wind died down, but it turned to snow about a hour ago. Temps started at 51 this morning at 6:30, currently 35.

I just filled up my car for 2.45 for RUG.

Saw Diesel for 2.99

Been hearing a lot of stories how folks are spending more on $tuff since they're saving on gas.

I suppose squirreling money away is not on their radar though...

• Options
    slorenzen said:

gagrice said:

slorenzen said:

And sideways.

Well, the wind died down, but it turned to snow about a hour ago. Temps started at 51 this morning at 6:30, currently 35.

I just filled up my car for 2.45 for RUG.

Saw Diesel for 2.99

Been hearing a lot of stories how folks are spending more on $tuff since they're saving on gas.

I suppose squirreling money away is not on their radar though...

CNN Money had a article a few days ago about how the average driver will save about $550 next year based on current gas prices. Most folks will spend that money, but it was suggested that you use it to either pay down bills, save it, or contribute it to your retirement funds.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Snow on the mountains today, mostly melted by the time I took this snap. Drove over the Organs to White Sands too.

• Options
    stever said:

Snow on the mountains today, mostly melted by the time I took this snap. Drove over the Organs to White Sands too.

A friend visiting family in El Paso sent pictures of it snowing. Did it stick in your area?

PS
    Very nice shots. I really like the dunes shot. Assuming that is snow???
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Heh, no, that's good old gypsum sand. It always looks like that. Lots of sledders out today though (just like every other day).

There was a skiff of snow was in my yard this morning until around noon, and there's still a bit around 5,280' on the "dark" side by Aguirre Springs National Recreation Area (over the mountains from Las Cruces toward Alamogordo). On this side of the Organs (the first pic), the snow looks like it's melted below 6,500' or so.
  • Options
    It was nice here, wet on the coast. Mother nature has a fun sense of humor.

First road trip in the new car, averaged about 30mpg highway - not like the old diesel, but with cheap gas, I am not unhappy. Smooth comfy drive.
    slorenzen said:

And sideways.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,158
    fintail said:

First road trip in the new car, averaged about 30mpg highway - not like the old diesel, but with cheap gas, I am not unhappy. Smooth comfy drive.

New car? I missed that you got a new car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

fintail said:

This is a tough crowd to keep up with...
  • Options
    Old lease was coming due, so I got a year end deal on a 14 E - but this time a gasser, as diesel money factor was ridiculous and it carried less incentive.

There'll be bigger road trips in it when the weather gets better in about 7 months.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,158
    fintail said:

Old lease was coming due, so I got a year end deal on a 14 E - but this time a gasser,

Congratulations. That's a fine looking car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    The weather is chilly here too. May just settle for a couple of day trips and postpone Tennessee a few months so we can camp. Rushing from one motel to the next along the Interstate just doesn't hold much appeal at the moment.
  • Options
    stever said:

The weather is chilly here too. May just settle for a couple of day trips and postpone Tennessee a few months so we can camp. Rushing from one motel to the next along the Interstate just doesn't hold much appeal at the moment.

My experience with TX hotels is less than great. Too many run down and way over priced. We found a decent one in Tyler the last trip. Overall Hampton Inn and some Best Western. I have to look back at my reviews on Trip Adviser. Not many under $90 I will stay in. You really need a Mercedes Sprinter. Small one set up with bed and cooking. Camping in style and you should get 24 MPG with their diesel models. As much as you travel. One day you are going to tire of setting up a tent on the cold hard ground.
  • Options
    Lots of good camping in TX - guess we'll avoid the cold ground by waiting a spell. My brother is coming out in May - they are fun to camp with so maybe we'll tag team up with them. Next up - the wildlife refuge just south of Albuquerque and maybe Silver City.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gagrice said:

You really need a Mercedes Sprinter. Small one set up with bed and cooking.

VW, MB, all those German rigs are alike. This one is pretty nice - first thought it may have been a Quiqley conversion but it's just got some Australian underpinnings per the owner.

That was taken at Bosque del Apache NWR, where we saw about 1,000 sandhill cranes this afternoon. Also a lot of snow geese, 4 eagles in one tree, a mule dear and two javalinas.

Also found a great stretch of road on the Geronimo Trail Natl Scenic Byway going over Emory Pass in the Gila NF.

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    stever said:

gagrice said:

You really need a Mercedes Sprinter. Small one set up with bed and cooking.

VW, MB, all those German rigs are alike. This one is pretty nice - first thought it may have been a Quiqley conversion but it's just got some Australian underpinnings per the owner.

G'day

That VW T3 Syncro looks like it has about 2" of lift. Lift kits are popular amongst 4WD enthusiasts here in Oz, given the state of many bush tracks. Unfortunately many overdo it and then load their vehicles very high, resulting in dangerous rollover characteristics.

Syncros were pretty popular here, reinforcing the impression that at the end of every impossible 4WD trail you will find a group of hippies in a Kombi.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Old Mercedes Gefunda-Wagens are fine if your plans include invading/annexing other countries. Similar to how old land rovers are fine if your plans include safari.

New G-Wagens are so disgustingly awful that they provide a good reason to avoid the entire Mercedes brand (as if we needed another reason.) I'm no fan of new Land Rovers either, even the newest/tiniest darth-vader-looking ones. But they are infinity preferable to G-wagens.

I wonder how many G-wagens got destroyed in the cash-for-clunkers federally induced fiasco to use taxpayer dollars to fund the Korean car industry and artificially boost USA used-car prices? Maybe that would be the best thing about cash-for-clunkers, the few G-wagens that got destroyed?

G-Wagen?!?!? Did you say G-WAGEN??
    SLOWLY I TURN, AND STEP BY STEP, INCH BY INCH...
  • Options
    Elias: New G-Wagens are so disgustingly awful that they provide a good reason to avoid the entire Mercedes brand (as if we needed another reason.) I'm no fan of new Land Rovers either, even the newest/tiniest darth-vader-looking ones. But they are infinity preferable to G-wagens.

Hmmm, The "G" Wagen is Oprah's favorite vehicle according to one interview. The one I see locally with huge Bling wheels is awful looking. If they were offered in diesel here I probably would have test driven one. Though my guess is they would be harder to find than the GL350 Bluetec and well over $100k. MB does not seem to have any problem selling their Big GL diesel. The R (ugly) diesel was discontinued and brings a premium on the used market. That said, the G Class to me is a functional design. And is something I like in a vehicle.

VW dropped their V8 Touareg and only offer the V6 gas and diesel. With a Hybrid that no one wants. I imagine the Cayenne V8 Turbo would be a kick to drive. Not sure I would have any use for a vehicle that goes 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. I find getting to 60 in 7 seconds more than adequate. And I would not give a nickel for another V8 after owning the Sequoia V8 for 5 years. It was a real slug from 0-90 compared to the Touareg diesel. The Lexus V8 is smoother than the Sequoia. Which means Toyota has not improved much over the last 25 years.

On the road, I would like to see any V8 that can be put on cruise at 80 MPH and pull a 5000 lb vehicle up hill down hill without varying 2 MPH and get 30 MPG. When someone comes up with a better highway vehicle than the Touareg TDI, I will be checking it out. I think the ML350 Bluetec and Grand Cherokee diesel are close. The X5 is too harsh riding for my taste. They are popular around here though.
  • Options
    The current G is a tacky ostentatious caricature of its former self - 80s and 90s ones are the "real" Gs. The people who buy them new might be more objectionable than the actual vehicles, too. But, I sincerely doubt any were wasted in C4C. Even the worst of them seem to have a depreciation floor well above 20K, so I'd wager exactly zero were scrapped in that odd project, and would want to see photographic evidence to the contrary. If we're going to cry about taxpayer money wasted that helps that specific industry, maybe we can complain about the endless Praetorian sector-based aid that has flowed in that direction, not to mention similar that goes to actual black holes out there.
    elias said:

New G-Wagens are so disgustingly awful that they provide a good reason to avoid the entire Mercedes brand (as if we needed another reason.) I'm no fan of new Land Rovers either, even the newest/tiniest darth-vader-looking ones. But they are infinity preferable to G-wagens.

I wonder how many G-wagens got destroyed in the cash-for-clunkers federally induced fiasco to use taxpayer dollars to fund the Korean car industry and artificially boost USA used-car prices? Maybe that would be the best thing about cash-for-clunkers, the few G-wagens that got destroyed?

G-Wagen?!?!? Did you say G-WAGEN??
    SLOWLY I TURN, AND STEP BY STEP, INCH BY INCH...

• Options
    Fintail: But, I sincerely doubt any were wasted in C4C. Even the worst of them seem to have a depreciation floor well above 20K, so I'd wager exactly zero were scrapped in that odd project

You would be exactly right. Looking at the 328 used Gs listed for sale the lowest price is $23,000. You can pick up a 2002 with 160,000 miles for about $30k.

I doubt it would be as nice out on the road as the MB GL or ML. More for those wanting to make a statement would be my guess.
  • Options
    Definitely about making a statement, the silly AMG version is even louder.

GL Bluetec would be an ultimate road trip rig - big, comfy, safe, huge range, relatively efficient. A thirsty G with brick-like aerodynamics, more for posing in the city.

gagrice said:

Fintail: But, I sincerely doubt any were wasted in C4C. Even the worst of them seem to have a depreciation floor well above 20K, so I'd wager exactly zero were scrapped in that odd project

You would be exactly right. Looking at the 328 used Gs listed for sale the lowest price is $23,000. You can pick up a 2002 with 160,000 miles for about $30k.

I doubt it would be as nice out on the road as the MB GL or ML. More for those wanting to make a statement would be my guess.

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    xwesx said:

Covered bridges have a certain undeniable charm about them! Plus, they're rather practical (from the built-to-last era). I mean, I seriously doubt any bridges built in the last 50-60 years have any chance of lasting as long as a covered bridge simply due to their exposure to the weather.

The demise of many a covered bridge was the result of traffic demands as opposed to deterioration.

While on our transcontinental trip, we crossed a bridge on the Yellowhead highway that sat adjacent to its predecessor, which looked like it dated from c1950. I suspect that this bridge was bypassed when the road was expanded to a four-lane divided highway, but, since there were several areas where this expansion included the old bridge on one set of lanes and a new one on the other, we were curious to stop and take a look. This particular bridge was quite beautiful, especially given that it was fully concrete (steel-reinforced). Closer inspection showed that its integrity was definitely compromised due to the deterioration of rebar within the concrete. Solid bridge, but no longer fit for use on a major highway.

Just looking at the changes in bridge-building over time makes one a bit nostalgic for the aesthetics of historical bridges.

Covered Bridge at McConnell's Mill (dates to 1874):

Retired bridge on the Yellowhead Highway, Saskatchewan:

Oh, hey! It is amazing what one can find if you ask the right questions....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borden_Bridge

Great pics @xwesx!
  • Options
    gagrice said:

We had a wonderful 2 weeks on the road. Spent a day with sister in Anderson, CA. Stayed at the Gaia Inn. The Swans had just returned for the winter.

Then on to Crater lake, which was closing for the winter. Still a beautiful site.

The Chipmunks are very entertaining at Crater Lake.

We found a great resort the Village Green in Cottage Grove. It was at one time THE place to stay. Somewhat aged but still very charming. I spent a week without internet in the room. Did a lot of reading and living Internet free. I can do it. The walks at sunrise in the Gardens were wonderful.

Our two grandsons loved the grounds. We had picnics several times. while they played hide and seek. I think they have about 50 acres of gardens to wander. It is one of the Moonstone properties. We already have reservations for April next year.

After spending a day in Roseburg looking at property to buy, we headed to the Coast. I think I could convince my wife to live in a house overlooking this coastline.

Bandon is one of my favorite towns, wouldn't mind moving there someday.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think Oregon is sunnier than western Washington, but there is a long stretch of cloudy days. Summer is gorgeous.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,803
    There's nothing like driving the coast highway if you can manage to get a stretch of clear road ahead of you. But, if you can't, then at least you have breath-taking scenery to occupy that time and prevent road rage. :D

It is incredible.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Is everyone hunkered down with all that fun weather in the lower 48?!

I thought I would mention that I'm taking the family to Seward this weekend. According to Google, this is 491 miles one way, so I guess that counts as a road trip, even though we're only gone from home for 2.5 days. The plan is to pick up my grandmother in Palmer on the way through, spend the day (Sunday) in Seward, tour the Sikuliaq, head back to Palmer, then home on Monday.

If I remember to take a camera with me, I'll share a shot or two next week. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Sunny and 60 this weekend in Seattle. Again. Winter?

Might take the old car on an ~80 mile round trip.
  • Options
    Leg one complete! Lots of snow this morning. We left Fairbanks at about 0800, arriving in Palmer at 1400, right on time despite the copious snowfall! We came across a small band of caribou near the highway just south of Cantwell. It just happened to be where the snow was falling the hardest as well, so even though they were maybe 50' from us, they were somewhat obscured by the snow.

When we stopped for a break at Byers Lake rest area, there was about 16" of fresh snow on the ground. Fun stuff!

• Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    @xwesx‌ Love the pics! Can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    More photos! Got it!

Went to see R/V Sikuliaq today. Pretty impressive, but not nearly as big as I thought it would be....

• Options
    :D

We rolled into Seward with weather that looked more like early May than early March! Dry roads, perfectly sunny, about 35 degrees. Oh, but that wind was some bitter cold stuff!

Resurrection Bay:

Alaska Sea Life Center (the model of the Sikuliaq from the last post is there):

And, the day's capstone, our visit to R/V Sikuliaq:

We'll head home in the morning. I can only hope that whatever traffic is heading to Fairbanks for the Iditarod restart is there already. The Parks Highway is never clogged up like it is for the restart when it takes place in Willow (moved to Fbx this year due to no snow in southcentral and the southern Alaska Range).

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    xwesx said:

More photos! Got it!

Went to see R/V Sikuliaq today. Pretty impressive, but not nearly as big as I thought it would be....

G'day

That is pretty interesting as Australia has just commenced operating the Antarctic equivalent of the R/V Sikuliaq. Our R/V Investigator has been to the edge of the Antarctic in recent days, this being remarkably similar to the US vessel (albeit without ice-crushing capability). http://mnf.csiro.au/Vessel.aspx

The Australian version has sufficient power drain when dockside (exceeding exisitng shore power supply), that it has upset the residents of the upmarket harbourside suburb it calls home through running engines continuously.

Cheers

Graham