Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I think the Giulia is the next car in my sights. ;)

Have y'all seen/heard the video with that engine noise that gives goosebumps? Oh my!

Here it is starting at 00:30

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    carnaught said:

Fellow car nuts, wanted to report a punch today. Lexus made me a deal a couldn't resist. They bought out the last three months of my ES lease, and replaced it with a much higher MSRP'd car for a few dollars a month more, 24 mos. lease. They also payed the first month's payment. It's an atomic silver with playa interior RC350 F-Sport Lexus coupe, sporty but more luxury, and gas mileage be d*mned.

Congrats!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Congrats (to the other recent buyers as well). I suspect the RC isn't selling as hoped, and there are deals to be had. Kind of a shame, as it is the most interesting Lexus model right now. I live near a dealer and in an affluent area, and rarely see them - the BMW 4er is a tough one to crack.
    carnaught said:

Fellow car nuts, wanted to report a punch today. Lexus made me a deal a couldn't resist. They bought out the last three months of my ES lease, and replaced it with a much higher MSRP'd car for a few dollars a month more, 24 mos. lease. They also payed the first month's payment. It's an atomic silver with playa interior RC350 F-Sport Lexus coupe, sporty but more luxury, and gas mileage be d*mned.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    F Sport sounds fun. Trying to remember what that was like from the auto show. I know I can't fit in an IS AWD. Not sure about that one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    stever said:
    @corvette, you may want to play with the voice thingy. Works pretty well when I use my wife's iPad 3.
    That's an option. I don't like talking to my devices. Actually I like being able to keep my hands on the keyboard of a laptop and hit command+t to open a new tab and command+w to close. 
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    What's with the Lexus "F" sport nomenclature - trying to rip off Ferrari? Otherwise, F as a symbol generally reflects failure doesn't it...
  • Options
    To be topical, I sighted two Teslas plugged into the onsite chargers when I visited the Greenbrier this morning. While driving through the mountains, the Yukon stumbled out of first gear and threw a check engine light. It stayed in third gear (I think) until I turned it off and on again. After stopping for gas, the CEL was gone, and Onstar was not able to pull the code.
  • Options
    life with an older, high mile car. Never know what adventure to expect!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    berri said:

What's with the Lexus "F" sport nomenclature - trying to rip off Ferrari? Otherwise, F as a symbol generally reflects failure doesn't it...

F in F Sport stands for the Fuji racetrack where the cars are supposedly tuned. Japan's "version" of the "ring."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Thanks, although I'm thinking Fuji racetrack wouldn't exactly knock the door down here :)
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Toyota owns Fuji, Honda owns Suzuka. Sorry Toyota, but Suzuka > Fuji.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Just got home with the new part installed, now I can use the lumbar support which never knew was there. Also hit the 7500 mark this weekend and told my service guy I'll be back at 9k for the first oil change and whatever else they do at the first service. Have been averaging about 1200/month so figure by Labor Day, it'll be time to return.
    Saw a new Golf R, a new Jetta Sport version in white and a silver GLI and thought they were all very nice, especially the R in my blue color. I did bring home a blue Jetta SE for the garage test back in December thinking I'd get that model but it just about fit on my side so I nixed it and tried the Golf about 20 minutes later...much better fit so decided to go for the Golf. Even with the numerous unscheduled service stops, maybe 6 or 7 with today's, hoping this will be it. Must admit that they caused the wheels/tires issue because they put on the wrong set to begin with and I trusted them to get it right...lesson learned here, always look at the tire size stamped on the tire to make sure all is correct.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I was able to get to my annual oil changes this weekend. I went ahead and changed out all the fluids in the '08 Forester (other than brake, which I will do next year). Despite what seems like pretty good maintenance done on that car, it did not look to me like the differential or transmission fluids had ever been replaced. It is *possible* that the transmission fluid was replaced at some point, as I'm not overly familiar with them (e.g., what does 125K OEM tranny fluid typically look like?), but the differentials? Definitely not!

So, I flushed the tranny fluid and put a new filter on it (the one that was on there was an OEM, and it honestly looked like an original OEM at that), and drained the tar out of the differentials and put new fluid in those, too. My wife's car (the '10 Forester) seemed like it needed the A/C system recharged, so we did that (a first for me).... WOW! That made a huge difference on the air temps inside the car.

Sadly, I can see that the head gaskets are definitely leaking oil on her car (this explains why I had to add 1.5 quarts of oil during this 11,000-mile OCI versus not having to add any, or perhaps a half-quart, in previous years). After the experience I had with my transaxle concerns this spring, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be an uphill battle to get Subaru to replace them within my 100K warranty. The car has 84,796 miles as of yesterday.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    berri said:

Take a look at this image of the 2016 Lexus RX F Sport. They have doubled down on that hideous grill on all their 2016 models.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1 said:

Take a look at this image of the 2016 Lexus RX F Sport. They have doubled down on that hideous grill on all their 2016 models

Yeah, I noticed that this morning as well! It's pretty hideous, but Acura and Lexus both are really good at doing ugly. At least it is somewhat unique as far as crazy designs go. B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I hope the buying public gives them a big dose of reality in the coming year. Maybe they will realize that whoever at Lexus has the grill fetish will have to go. Acura sat around for years wondering why their sales were down before they would admit it was "the beak".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Go where - back to producing those old Japanese monster movies from the 50's and 60's?
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    It is not just Acura and Lexus. Look at some of the stuff Nissan is putting out. The old Cube, the Juke, and the new Maxima. Bizarro-land stuff.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    My July punch is now official, picked the '15 Focus up on Saturday. Pleasant little car, great gas mileage. Hubby is headed back to work tonight and taking the truck, so that will leave the '12 Focus and '15 Focus, won't be any reason for the Explorer to leave the garage.

The automatic transmission in the new Focus is really smooth so far, haven't seen a hint of anything weird with it, even with the auto its a peppy little car.
  • Options
    What does this remind you of ?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    houdini1 said:

What does this remind you of ?

Hmm, must be the (ugly) spindle grill of most new Lexus', for which I just posted I made a punch to, on this board. It wasn't enough that there was ridicule on the "Buying and Selling" Cars board, but you had to start the trash Lexus styling subject here. Thank you fellow car-lover.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I wanted to thank, I think, the three of you who sent congrats. on my RC punch two days ago. Also thank you to most of you who consider me persona non grata, and ignored me, plus those of you going the extra mile trashing Lexus in the more recent posts.

To a car nut, that is like saying your daughter sucks, or is ugly. I think in most of my posts I've been supportive and encouraging, even if their ride or situation was not my "cup of tea.'.

I don't belong here, I'm done....gone, leaving here. Good day, and Goodbye.
  • Options
    Carnaught, I really like the model that you bought. My wife and I have owned only Lexus's for the past 10 years, and if you look at my profile you will see that we currently own 2. They are wonderful cars and we love them, and I am sure that you will love yours also.

I even like the spindle grill up thru 2015. On some of the upcoming 2016 models it appears that the grills are becoming more exaggerated and complicated looking to my eye. That is not something that appeals to me and I think they are headed down the wrong road.

Carnaught, in retrospect, perhaps I did go a little overboard, and for that I sincerely apologize. It was thoughtless of me.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Carnaught, please stay! I read the Lexus commentary as being about the brand in general and not directed at your purchase decision. There are styling attributes of every car I've owned which were not my cup of tea.

Yukon is throwing a CEL for a transmission code. If you hold it to the redline in second gear, the shift to third gear flares and it goes into limp mode. Stays there until you restart the car. It otherwise operates normally, most shifts are smooth, and the transmission temperature stays below 200 degrees. It looks like there is a TSB which may be pertinent. Hope it isn't too expensive, since it is long out of any warranty which might have applied.
  • Options
    Hey, I own a "beak" Acura, and don't get offended by people posting digs at that. All in fun really.

I'm sure it is a wonderful car. Enjoy it.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    C'mon, stick around. There's not a car made in the world today that would please everyone. Many people didn't like the Audi TT when it came out either, and now every carmaker in the world copies that roofline. You could be a trail-blazer!
    carnaught said:

I wanted to thank, I think, the three of you who sent congrats. on my RC punch two days ago. Also thank you to most of you who consider me persona non grata, and ignored me, plus those of you going the extra mile trashing Lexus in the more recent posts.

To a car nut, that is like saying your daughter sucks, or is ugly. I think in most of my posts I've been supportive and encouraging, even if their ride or situation was not my "cup of tea.'.

• Options
    Personally, I really like the new IS 250 and my neighbor got the exact color I'd get, the charcoal color. Drove a silver IS at work the other day and I love the size though I prefer that smaller size vehicle. Car, I saw your car at the dealer on Friday and wow, it's a cool looking ride so enjoy and congrats. I know the styling isn't very mainstream and that most will shy away from it but to me, it fits that particular body style. Also drove a couple CT's again and to be honest, was a good choice not to buy one last year as I prefer the IS 250 and would always be wishing I'd bought that instead of the CT if in fact I did go with Lexus. Maybe next time but I think Lexus should come out with a new, smaller entry level vehicle around the $27K price point to get folks like me into their ownership family. 30K is just too much for me to spend on any vehicle, the wife is a different story, and $27K is the high point for me though I really prefer to keep at $25K. Tech and styling seem to change frequently now, not like the 50's and 60's but they still change.
    In my Golf, there's no usb port, just an s d card slot in the glove box and I have no idea how to use it or what an s d card even is. I can use the old style ipod as there is a connection in the center compartment but I use XM most of the time anyways. But that's my point, usb ports were the big thing a few years back but now, not so much. And I've asked a few times but so far haven't gotten an answer I can understand. What is an s d card and how does it all work? How does one take music that's stored in an itunes account and move it in such a way that the s d player can use it? Really am pretty tech challenged here and have no clue. That's why I like Hyundai/Kia and most other Japanese products...they have these connections right up front in plain view that I can use when needed. Since I no longer do the long distance travel, it's still nice to have the capability if I ever decide to go back and work those gigs again.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Yeah, I'll definitely echo the sentiments above.

I'll add to the apology regarding downing the buzz; that was not the intent. I am pretty liberal when it comes to the pro and con aspect of cars; I probably offer more criticism of Subaru than any other brand (and I generally really like Subaru, having owned five of them). Cars are *not* our daughters, as much as we like them. So, stick around; we'll make it up to ya. :)
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I thought every car had a USB port.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    akangl said:

My July punch is now official, picked the '15 Focus up on Saturday. Pleasant little car, great gas mileage. Hubby is headed back to work tonight and taking the truck, so that will leave the '12 Focus and '15 Focus, won't be any reason for the Explorer to leave the garage.

The automatic transmission in the new Focus is really smooth so far, haven't seen a hint of anything weird with it, even with the auto its a peppy little car.

Poor Explorer... it has been so faithful to you, too! :)

If your Focus uses the DCT as in prior years, the only time I noticed anything "weird" with it was during very low-speed driving. It has a sorta manual-like behavior to it (e.g., need to engage/disengage the clutch), so trying to drive very slowly (e.g., 5 mph-ish) would make it feel a little jerky. My experience is from 2013, though, so they may have figured that one out.

• Options
    Given the sycophant copycat world that is modern automotive design, I fully expect the Asian overstyling trend to spread. Just like Bangle's wonky designs spawned imitators.

C'mon, stick around. There's not a car made in the world today that would please everyone. Many people didn't like the Audi TT when it came out either, and now every carmaker in the world copies that roofline. You could be a trail-blazer!

• Options
    Sandy, VW has what they call the "MDI" port. This is what is in the center console, and comes with the cable with the old style Ipod (30 pin) connector. But, that serves the same purpose as the USB port. All you need to do is get an adapter the has the 30pin on one end, and USB on the other. Then plug in your ipod or iphone cable (USB to lightning) and it will play right through the headunit, exactly like other cars where you plug in directly to the USB port. It also charges the phone. Or, get an adapter that just goes from the 30 pin to lightning directly, if that is all you want to use.

I just ordered this for our new Jetta.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIQDBTC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

There are other cables that have USB instead of lighting on the far end, so you can use non-apple phones too.

• Options
    oh, the SD is just a memory card. There is one in most portable devices, like cameras, phones, GPS. I suppose it could be for playing music, but may also just be there to use for the Navi system.

I will need to look in my owner's manual. But I don't recall seeing anything about using it for anything like music. Much easier to just use the itunes on your phone or ipod.

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    fintail said:

Given the sycophant copycat world that is modern automotive design, I fully expect the Asian overstyling trend to spread. Just like Bangle's wonky designs spawned imitators.

Wasn't it Audi that pretty much kicked off the trend of having the grille, or at least the suggestion of it, drop below the bumper line? I think it was called the "Bib" when it first came out. This is what I'm thinking of...

I think the Lexus, with the hourglass shaped grille, is sort of an evolution of that, with a bit of channeling from Virgil Exner.

As for those locomotive cowcatchers, they actually make me think of what Buick is currently sporting on its cars. Even though the Buick grilles don't extend down to the base of the car, remaining more at the height of a more traditional grille, they still have that cowcatcher look to me.

• Options
    I don't have an iPhone, an android guy here. There already is a small cable attached to the input thing in the center console and it looks like it should plug right into my iPod directly...will have to go try it in the morning and see what gives. Definitely want the flexibility of an additional music source and my iTunes account doesn't seem to be an option since I can't access it by not having an iPhone. That's why I have my iPod which also contains my iTunes music. Just wish VW had included a USB port also in a separate location. There must be another music source I can get through my android phone I'd think.

• Options
    @carnaught - I applaud Lexus for taking chances. They have long been known by the automotive press for making reliable, luxurious cars, cars that aren't the most exciting drivers. They built their reputation on vanilla, and recently started adding a lot of spice. In today's luxury automotive landscape, where @graphicguy's CTS can't make it to the supermarket without stalling and Audis that aren't so owner friendly once the warranty is up, there is a lot to be said for "Lexus Reliability." If I was shopping in the $50K Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedan class, the IS350 F Sport would be at the top of my short list. RWD based AWD? Check. 300 + horsepower V6? Check. Adjustable suspension? Check. Styling that stands out in the sea silver of BMW 3ers & Black c300s? Check.

Even in a class up, I'm looking at an MB E -Class and a GS350.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I call the Audi "big mouth bass. That ostentatious trend started more than a decade ago, I always thought it was meant to ape the 30s era Auto Union GP cars:

Lexus definitely seems to be channeling Exner, with some of its odd cues. This seems to be a new 1958-61 for some brands. I know it has been posted before, but 20 years ago nobody would have dreamed that Lexus would be among the most overstyled brands, that BMW would be seeming to emulate MB, and that some Caddys would be good to drive.

Oh yeah, shame on some of these awful new banner ads, huge memory hogs. I've never seen usage so high, only happens here.
    andre1969 said:

Wasn't it Audi that pretty much kicked off the trend of having the grille, or at least the suggestion of it, drop below the bumper line? I think it was called the "Bib" when it first came out.
    As for those locomotive cowcatchers, they actually make me think of what Buick is currently sporting on its cars. Even though the Buick grilles don't extend down to the base of the car, remaining more at the height of a more traditional grille, they still have that cowcatcher look to me.

• Options

I don't have an iPhone, an android guy here. There already is a small cable attached to the input thing in the center console and it looks like it should plug right into my iPod directly...will have to go try it in the morning and see what gives. Definitely want the flexibility of an additional music source and my iTunes account doesn't seem to be an option since I can't access it by not having an iPhone. That's why I have my iPod which also contains my iTunes music. Just wish VW had included a USB port also in a separate location. There must be another music source I can get through my android phone I'd think.

Your ipod will plug right into the cable that plugs into the port in your center console. If you want to plug in your android, you just need an adapter to go between the 30 pin (big ipod plug) and a USB or micro plug.

something like this, which probably plugs right into your phone:

http://www.amazon.com/iphone-Female-adapter-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00GDWYBA4/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_z

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    xwesx said:

Poor Explorer... it has been so faithful to you, too! :)

If your Focus uses the DCT as in prior years, the only time I noticed anything "weird" with it was during very low-speed driving. It has a sorta manual-like behavior to it (e.g., need to engage/disengage the clutch), so trying to drive very slowly (e.g., 5 mph-ish) would make it feel a little jerky. My experience is from 2013, though, so they may have figured that one out.

The Explorer will venture out on occasion, but at not quite 2 years old and 38k it will be nice to leave it in the garage for a bit. I do love the car and it will never be forgotten about, it even gets to stay in the garage while the 2 Focus (Foci?) are outside in driveway, I never leave the Explorer out.....she's far better than that! Sure is nice getting 32+ mpg vs 19 mpg though.

I've driven slow with the new Focus but didn't notice anything. I'll pay attention tomorrow when I drive it and see if I notice it. I might not since I bounce between 3 automatics and a manual. They all have their quirks and I tend to ignore them.
  • Options
    fintail said:
    Oh yeah, shame on some of these awful new banner ads, huge memory hogs. I've never seen usage so high, only happens here.
    Adblock works well for those. 
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

@carnaught - I applaud Lexus for taking chances. They have long been known by the automotive press for making reliable, luxurious cars, cars that aren't the most exciting drivers. They built their reputation on vanilla, and recently started adding a lot of spice. In today's luxury automotive landscape, where @graphicguy's CTS can't make it to the supermarket without stalling and Audis that aren't so owner friendly once the warranty is up, there is a lot to be said for "Lexus Reliability." If I was shopping in the $50K Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedan class, the IS350 F Sport would be at the top of my short list. RWD based AWD? Check. 300 + horsepower V6? Check. Adjustable suspension? Check. Styling that stands out in the sea silver of BMW 3ers & Black c300s? Check.

Even in a class up, I'm looking at an MB E -Class and a GS350.

@nyccarguy....I'd welcome some Acura or Lexus reliability about right now. The IS350 F Sport was on my short list a while back. Wished I had pulled the trigger on that instead of the "limp along" CTS.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Agree.
    STRONGLY agree.
    The only one who [ one hopes ] is satisfied with a choice is
    the one paying for the vehicle.
    I am driving a car many here consider to be -
    Too big,
    Too heavy and
    Too expensive.
    And that is fine with me...
    - Ray
    Hemi driver
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    rayainsw said:

Agree.
    STRONGLY agree.
    Too big,
    Too heavy and
    Too expensive.
    - Ray
    Hemi driver

Yep, you get to complain about my car as soon as you start making the payments. I'm taking offers right now btw... :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    carnaught said:

You also exited a lease early - classic Chronic Car Buyer! You belong on this board. Please don't go!

• Options
    qbrozen said:

IMHO, no CCBA'er should care what anyone else thinks of their ride. Just sayin.

Because by the time the CCBAer addresses the criticism, they are most likely on to the next punch anyway

• Options
    @graphicguy - I know you will keep us updated, but I've got to ask... any news?

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    rayainsw said:

Agree.
    STRONGLY agree.
    Too big,
    Too heavy and
    Too expensive.
    - Ray
    Hemi driver

Heck, I can go one worse than that...I'm driving a Hemi vehicle that is about the length of a '76 Buick Electra, but can only seat two people in comfort (legally). And the last thing that it had to haul in recent memory was a bag of cat litter :p