Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,336
    That does seem excessive, but I do know that other areas it's much less. I remember talking to one of our city councilmen about it and he gave me a figure that I want to say was $100 or less but can't remember off hand.

Now here is an interesting thing, I tried looking online for what the fees around me were and I found a website that showed red light cameras on a map. What a joke, it showed red light cameras at intersections that never had a red light camera, at intersections where I know the camera had been removed for at least two years and at least one intersection in a residential area that didn't have a stop light (nor a stop sign for that matter).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,387

abacomike said:

I finally put the CLS 400 through its paces this afternoon.  I entered the Florida Turnpike and pushed the pedal to the floor.  I brought the rpm's to red line and I looked at the speedo.  I was at 92 mph in about 6 seconds (I floored it at 30 mph) and I was in 5th gear (I have 7).  It reacted as if a V8 was under the hood.  The turbos kicked in with no noticeable delay.  It was breathtaking!

I figured I was well enough to handle the excitement and the car had 956 miles on it which was close enough to 1000 for the break-in period.  A truly amazing vehicle with that twin turbo V6.  :o

I guess that means you're feeling better. Carefully planned craziness can be quite fun. :p

Anyway, couple of cars ahead of me, I see brake lights, and then I see those same brake lights start spinning. It was a 350 or 370Z doing a 360. Car ended up in a grassy median. Long and short of it, myself and a couple of other drivers pulled off to make sure the driver was OK. He was. Albeit a little shaken up. Young guy, early 20s on the way to work.

He said he was driving slow and all of a sudden he lost control. He had summer rubber on the Z and couldn't quite comprehend how that might not work in the snow. Anyway, aside from a busted chin spoiler, and probably some lower body bondo work and paint that will need to be done, I think both driver and car will be fine.

Of course, not sure what kind of damage is underneath (which could be major, given the body was almost touching the ground since the tires were buried).
    Another village is missing its idiot...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

I need some help!

My computer is about to die and I may lose my Edmunds password that I no longer have. It autofills so I don't need to enter it. Could a moderator maybe email me with it?

[Email removed]

Thanks!

Craig

If anyone has any suggestions on what to buy as a replacement I would love to hear from you!

Craig

You should be able to find your password in the security tab of the browser.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options

What's cruel is that you go through a red light (allegedly) and then you get a bill in the mail that adds up to, with various "fees" that have nothing to do with traffic, about $490 bucks. Some of these fees are for things like "court construction" and "emergency medical services". Not likely the legislature will reverse this trend for ever upward-spiraling bogus fines, because the revenue per annum is about $500 million...yeah, that's right...1/2 billion dollars.

Red light cameras are all about the money; that's why the private contractors shorten the yellow light interval- it snags more rubes. The municipalities like it because it automates their money grab. And all is cloaked under the the very best Safety [non-permissible content removed] justifications....

• Options
    Well, I tried- I looked at another Mustang GT with the cloth interior and I just can't justify paying over $35k for a car with that interior and a (very) basic audio system. And I'm still steamed that if you move up to a GT Premium Ford still charges $1,500 for Leather Recaros while at the same deleting the heating and cooling features of the stock seats.
    To top it off, after talking to some fellow track geeks it seems that I'd also need to spring for the Ford Racing "Track" suspension($1,500 plus labor) in order to enjoy it at HPDEs.
    I guess it was a blessing that the green car got away.
    Meh.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,981

What's cruel is that you go through a red light (allegedly) and then you get a bill in the mail that adds up to, with various "fees" that have nothing to do with traffic, about $490 bucks. Some of these fees are for things like "court construction" and "emergency medical services". Not likely the legislature will reverse this trend for ever upward-spiraling bogus fines, because the revenue per annum is about $500 million...yeah, that's right...1/2 billion dollars.

Red light cameras are all about the money; that's why the private contractors shorten the yellow light interval- it snags more rubes. The municipalities like it because it automates their money grab. And all is cloaked under the the very best Safety [non-permissible content removed] justifications....
    You know though, I have made it a policy to try and stop if I can if the light changes to amber, and if I can stop at all. Yesterday, I was about 4 car lengths from the intersection and the light turned amber...and the only thing I could possibly do was to go through the intersection.

I looked in my rear view mirror and 4 cars that were at least 10 car lengths behind me went through the amber light......I do think it is getting ridiculous and people think if I can make it through I will do whatever I have to - speed up, gun it etc., to get through an amber light.....and that is going to lead to accidents especially if someone is trying to complete a left turn ahead. That's why I think red light cameras may not be as bad as we make them out to be.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    edited January 2016
    driver100 said:

You know though, I have made it a policy to try and stop if I can if the light changes to amber, and if I can stop at all. Yesterday, I was about 4 car lengths from the intersection and the light turned amber...and the only thing I could possibly do was to go through the intersection.

I looked in my rear view mirror and 4 cars that were at least 10 car lengths behind me went through the amber light......I do think it is getting ridiculous and people think if I can make it through I will do whatever I have to - speed up, gun it etc., to get through an amber light.....and that is going to lead to accidents especially if someone is trying to complete a left turn ahead. That's why I think red light cameras may not be as bad as we make them out to be.

The result of red light cameras is that rear end collisions increase because people slam on their brakes as soon as the light turns amber.

The local Dayton City and a couple of suburbs kept crowing about how their red light cameras were for safety. They touted decreases in accidents, supposedly, at certain intersections with the cameras as fact. It was all about safety.

However, as soon as the second try by the legislature changed the red light law the communities were whining about how they couldn't afford to not have the income from the victims of the cameras. They lobbied and lobbied to change the new law. Dayton even indicated they'd continue with a new technique to circumvent the new law, but gave up on that after a few months of threatening.

Ohio got rid of the law by requiring an officer be present when the "violation" of speed or red light was flashed. Legislators claimed they couldn't just make them illegal because of something called home rule in Ohio.

A side note: since the communities claimed cameras were for safety rather than revenue, I suggested to my legislators to pass a law that 90% of the income (total) be given to counties surrounding the cities where the cameras were because that's where most of their income would be from--people from out-of-town who don't know the cameras are at certain locations (despite signs posted at city limits). It's the outside folks who got most of the tickets. And since safety was the issue, donating to charities or to the various rural county's villages and townships would be a good use for that money that didn't matter to Dayton since cameras were for safety not for income. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:
    You know though, I have made it a policy to try and stop if I can if the light changes to amber, and if I can stop at all. Yesterday, I was about 4 car lengths from the intersection and the light turned amber...and the only thing I could possibly do was to go through the intersection. I looked in my rear view mirror and 4 cars that were at least 10 car lengths behind me went through the amber light......I do think it is getting ridiculous and people think if I can make it through I will do whatever I have to - speed up, gun it etc., to get through an amber light.....and that is going to lead to accidents especially if someone is trying to complete a left turn ahead. That's why I think red light cameras may not be as bad as we make them out to be.
    Driver, here in Southeast Florida, most major artery streets/avenues/routes have a 45 mph speed limit.  When you are traveling at that speed, it is not as easy as you think to stop your car at an amber light.  There are several variables:

*you have to be aware of what is behind you and how close a vehicle might be to your rear.  Stopping short might cause a rear end collision - especially with the older drivers whose reflexes are not as sharp as they once were.

*amber lights are not timed the same at each traffic light intersection.  A road with a 45 mph speed limit could have a short amber light which can create havoc.  

I agree that that municipalities and counties set drivers up for traffic violations by manipulating the timing of the amber lights at certain intersections to increase revenues.  Determining what is a reasonable time frame for an amber light could be a good defense against a short amber light in traffic court.  In my opinion, the higher the speed limit, the longer an amber light should remain on.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    edited January 2016
    The data about red light cameras has been mistreated much like the global warming errr climate change malarky. Better than red light cameras was to lengthen the amber a small amount AND have an interval red lights all ways for a second or more before the cross traffic gets a green. Out very smart town has done that at intersections that are high risk. We also use policemen in cars to actually patrol and use their eyes to give tickets to people violating the red light.

The cities wanting the cameras were trying to cut their police cost by reducing offiers and putting up cameras to bring in more money so they could spend their money on high salaries for executives and social programs. I avoid those cities and don't drive through them at all and don't spend money at their retailers. If I do go there, I rarely see a police car except in line at a McDonalds next to a Lowes if I don't want to drive 9 miles to the next Lowes which is cleaner and safer to visit.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,947
    I'm thankful that the few RLC here in South Jersey have been eliminated. They are purely revenue inducing devices.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited January 2016
    tjc78 said:

I'm thankful that the few RLC here in South Jersey have been eliminated. They are purely revenue inducing devices.

It is obvious that States and Municipalities have been eliminating Red Light Cameras "for specific, good reasons!" First of all, it is obvious that there are no standards regarding how long an amber traffic light is to remain lit. Another problem with traffic lights is that once the light turns red, it almost immediately turns green to the cross traffic providing no buffer time.

Imid, I find your comments about timing amber and red lights to be right on target. But not all jurisdictions use the same standards. Jurisdictions who use red light cameras to increase revenues obviously want the amber light timing to be as short as possible.

IMHO, I believe that the lack of standardization for amber light timing is one major reason for the steady disappearance of red light cameras. If the industry (Red Light Camera Producers and Maintenance Companies) should have a national standard for how long an amber light should remain lit before turning red based upon prevailing speed limits of the roadway being monitored by those systems.

Should be interesting in the near future as to whether or not red light cameras will again be installed with courts and legislatures approving the standards.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

CNET tested these 3 cars: Rivals: BMW M3 vs. Mercedes-AMG C63 vs. Cadillac ATS-V

Do you want to know the final order? Imid will be very surprised.....they chose the D3 ATS.
    It's funny, in the review they found more things wrong with the ATS but they did like the handling and feel of it. They also liked the price, $20k less than MB, $10k less than BMW.

Rivals: BMW M3 vs. Mercedes-AMG C63 vs. Cadillac ATS-V

I mentioned a little while ago that my Caddy dealer let me do a brief ATS-V test drive. It's an unreal performance machine. Cadillac did seem to move the interior down a half notch from the CTS, which has wood, suede, aluminum, etc in it vs more plastics in the ATS.

Not sure what version of CUE the ATS used, but the most recent version is light years better than the older version. And, I can't say enough good things about the inclusion of CarPlay.

Regarding higher end Benzs, if I'm ever in the market, that would be the one I'd consider a CPO used version of, given the depreciation. A one or two year old S, CLS, etc seems like it would be a screaming bargain.

On the soap box.....

Oil profits.....nearly $11B (and that's just one oil company's profits) is a ton of green backs in profits. In a down year for the entire industry? Sorry, it still irritates me what that entire industry, and those who practice collusion to manipulate prices, have foisted upon the U.S. public.

These are the same companies who played stupid when gas was reaching $5/gal and foisted all those falsehoods about Middle East this, and Middle East that, as reasons to justify those prices. These are the same companies who said they couldn't make a profit at anything under $100/bbl for oil. They said the same about $80/bbl....and on and on. Guess what? They made $10B with a bbl of oil nearly 1/3 of what it was 12 months ago.

They can continue to try to play the blues. It was a couple of years ago in here that I said there was no economically sound reason for gas and oil prices to be where they were. I also felt a fall was coming. I mentioned I would not feel any sympathy or empathy when the inevitable fall would happen. Obscene amounts of greed put the oil companies back in their place, today. I believe little to none of what they say.

There is no good economic reason for prices to get anywhere remotely near what they were 5, 2, even this time last year. Dutch Petroleum (Shell) is just going to have to learn to survive on their paltry $10.7 BILLION in profits.

Off the soap box........
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Just got back the completed signed "Wind Mitigation Forms" and "pictures of building/apartment" from the building inspector. I forwarded the email and attached files to my insurance agent. After reviewing the completed forms and attached pictures, she said I had a net savings of $205.00 per year, or 24% lower than what I originally paid for the policy last March. So I was able to raise my coverage for the "condo replacement cost" to $55,000 with no out of pocket expenditure. My cost for the policy in March will be around $785.00 per year which is still less than I paid for the policy with only $28,000 in condo replacement cost.

Down here in Florida, it's amazing how much one can save if you have proof that the roof of the building can withstand a 180 mph hurricane and if the condo units are all separated by concrete walls and floors. That is an amazing savings. I don't know why my Dad never had that done. Maybe because he never knew about it or just didn't want to spend the money. Who knows?

But in States that are frequented by hurricanes, insurance companies require "wind mitigation inspections" on property they insure in order to get their best rates.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,114
    Regarding gas prices: Here is a Canadian Press story explaining why our prices here are still so high. Looks like the refiners are making a fortune:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1336361-falling-crude-prices-not-reflected-at-the-pump-as-low-dollar-refiners-take-cut

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,711

Well, I tried- I looked at another Mustang GT with the cloth interior and I just can't justify paying over $35k for a car with that interior and a (very) basic audio system. And I'm still steamed that if you move up to a GT Premium Ford still charges $1,500 for Leather Recaros while at the same deleting the heating and cooling features of the stock seats.
    To top it off, after talking to some fellow track geeks it seems that I'd also need to spring for the Ford Racing "Track" suspension($1,500 plus labor) in order to enjoy it at HPDEs.
    I guess it was a blessing that the green car got away.
    Meh.

Sounds like a 2016 Camaro is calling. Probably a better track car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited January 2016

I really don't like how Chevrolet doubled-down on the 1967-1969 Camaro styling; couple that with the fact that a track ready 1SS would cost over $44,000 and the Camaro isn't a player either.

My perfect car would be a manual GT Premium with heated leather manual Recaros, a decent audio system, and a decent suspension- priced under $40,000. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited January 2016
    Hey, guys, we're moving today! From our small Dodge City apartment to a 3BR, 1BA house in Dodge City. I am going to have a 3-car detached garage at my disposal, too, with an automatic garage door opener! The garage is approximately 600 sq.ft. and the house is 1,000 sq.ft. Whoo-hoo! If I was a tinkerer this would totally float my boat.

I'm thinking of different tinkerer projects to do as I move. Note this: Budget trucks do not have loading ramps like the U-Hauls do. :'(

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Start with a birdhouse. You'll be plenty busy for a while with moving.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Start with a birdhouse. You'll be plenty busy for a while with moving.

Oh yeah.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,605
    You have one car. That garage is wasted. You should give it to me!

Or buy your MG-B now!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Hey, guys, we're moving today! From our small Dodge City apartment to a 3BR, 1BA house in Dodge City. I am going to have a 3-car detached garage at my disposal, too, with an automatic garage door opener! The garage is approximately 600 sq.ft. and the house is 1,000 sq.ft. Whoo-hoo! If I was a tinkerer this would totally float my boat. I'm thinking of different tinkerer projects to do as I move. Note this: Budget trucks do not have loading ramps like the U-Hauls do. :'(
    Good luck in your new house.  Enjoy!  ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Hey, guys, we're moving today! From our small Dodge City apartment to a 3BR, 1BA house in Dodge City. I am going to have a 3-car detached garage at my disposal, too, with an automatic garage door opener! The garage is approximately 600 sq.ft. and the house is 1,000 sq.ft. Whoo-hoo! If I was a tinkerer this would totally float my boat.

I'm thinking of different tinkerer projects to do as I move. Note this: Budget trucks do not have loading ramps like the U-Hauls do. :'(

Man, if I had 600sf. of garage space I would become Jay Leno jr. just before going bankrupt on the cars I would buy. Today I tried to wash the salt off the Lincoln and it was so thick I ran out of quarters. Wish I didn't have to leave it outside.

You are a lucky man. Let us know what cars you fill those 3 bays with.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

I really don't like how Chevrolet doubled-down on the 1967-1969 Camaro styling; couple that with the fact that a track ready 1SS would cost over $44,000 and the Camaro isn't a player either.

My perfect car would be a manual GT Premium with heated leather manual Recaros, a decent audio system, and a decent suspension- priced under $40,000. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.
    I tried to convince you but I have to agree that while the Camaro seems to have a technological edge I just can't fall in love with the looks. I much prefer the early 2000s styling.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,353
    We are not supposed to get much snow, but I guess a lot of people have the same idea as I do, 'just in case'.
    Called our favorite pizza place, instead of 20 minutes, ready in an hour.
    The wife is out of town for the weekend,, so I'm going to put the Fusion in her bay and see If can fit the truck where the Fusion usually goes.
    The actual garage is long enough, but I have some shelving that uses up some of the depth.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

I tried to convince you but I have to agree that while the Camaro seems to have a technological edge I just can't fall in love with the looks. I much prefer the early 2000s styling.

I also like the looks of that year Camaro but I drove one a few months ago---in very good condition and low miles--and I have to say the build quality was pretty appalling. You'd have to turn a blind eye to that in order to enjoy the car's attributes.

You can buy older Z28s in this body style (99s, 2000s) in nice shape for $5K-8K all day long. Pretty good bang for the buck.
  • Options
    they have upgraded my area (and TJC) to 18-24 and blizzard watch. I really don't need to be dealing with this nonsense. A week ago, I was out in a t shirt washing the car.

I want global warming back, and I want it now.

• Options
    Hey, guys, be careful out there.  This storm is supposed to be wicked.  Don't do anything stupid - like drive in that mess or try to shovel that heavy snow.

We had several inches of rain when that front passed us and that translates into several feet of snow if my moisture extrapolations are correct.

Good luck all!  :s

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2016
    stickguy said:

they have upgraded my area (and TJC) to 18-24 and blizzard watch. I really don't need to be dealing with this nonsense. A week ago, I was out in a t shirt washing the car.

I want global warming back, and I want it now.

Unfortunately, the GW isn't always where you want it, where you want it. Mother Nature has her own logic. I've heard that the greatest danger for most people are slip and fall and coronaries.
  • Options
    Something to ponder while snowbound...

Checked my Lincoln's mpg readout manually and it's off by .7 mpg. So my around town milage was only 21.4 instead of 22.1. You guys were right.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Just watched the weather report for South Florida for the weekend.  Tomorrow night (Saturday), they are forecasting a low of 41 degrees (high of 62 degrees during the day)  Sunday night, a low of 44 degrees.

That is freezing cold for our area, Brrrrrrr...!  I think I better test the heat cycle of my central air system.  While I'm at it, I will bring out the jeans and sweatshirts and jackets.

And you guys think we don't know what "cold" means!  Now, the meaning of "snow" is a different story!  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

I also like the looks of that year Camaro but I drove one a few months ago---in very good condition and low miles--and I have to say the build quality was pretty appalling. You'd have to turn a blind eye to that in order to enjoy the car's attributes.

You can buy older Z28s in this body style (99s, 2000s) in nice shape for $5K-8K all day long. Pretty good bang for the buck.

In the later years the SS had 325hp. You could overlook a lot of build issues as you were tearing around town like lightning.

• Options
    325 was base. You could add a lot more for not much money.

Farmer, my mean son keeps texting to poke fun about how we are getting a lot more snow down in Jersey than you are up in Albany. Though he lives in an apartment so doesn't have to shovel, so not a big deal to him!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,947
    Well here in South Jersey (Philly burbs) the snow has begun! What a great weekend ahead. Stay safe everyone in the path!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited January 2016
    stickguy said:

325 was base. You could add a lot more for not much money.

Farmer, my mean son keeps texting to poke fun about how we are getting a lot more snow down in Jersey than you are up in Albany. Though he lives in an apartment so doesn't have to shovel, so not a big deal to him!

Easy to tease when we are getting ZERO snow! That's on top of the existing NOTHING! We have grass this winter. If it weren't for all the salt they spread on bare roads I'd be out flogging that Mustang like I stole it!

Now I see why Mike has so much fun flaunting his warm weather. :D

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,114
    For a change, they are saying that Halifax isn't going to get hit with this storm. Usually they track up the coast and we almost always get nailed. Because we are under an arctic high, it is moving more easterly and is supposed to miss us. The downside is that it is very, very cold for the next couple of days - a fair trade, I'd say. For you guys in areas that don't typically get a lot of snow, be careful. The problem is almost always people who aren't used to driving in snow doing dumb things.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Was looking at gas prices on "GasBuddy" and saw that Costco is selling PUG for $2.29.9 per gallon.  RUG is 1.78.9 per gallon.  I really can't remember the last time I paid under $2.30 a gallon for PUG.  But I did see that oil rose over $2.00 a barrel today.  :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Get this. With our Kroger discount we paid $1.35 for RUG two days ago. Filled the Encore for $13.50. I know it won't last but it was quite a throwback.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:
    Get this. With our Kroger discount we paid $1.35 for RUG two days ago. Filled the Encore for $13.50. I know it won't last but it was quite a throwback.
    Great price for gas!  Enjoy it while you can!  :p

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

Was looking at gas prices on "GasBuddy" and saw that Costco is selling PUG for $2.29.9 per gallon.  RUG is 1.78.9 per gallon.  I really can't remember the last time I paid under $2.30 a gallon for PUG.  But I did see that oil rose over $2.00 a barrel today.  :'(

I filled with PUG yesterday at Sunoco for $2.31. RUG is $1.98. Cheapest since 2005.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    I filled PUG at 2.099 at Costco last Tuesday.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I filled with PUG yesterday at Sunoco for $2.31. RUG is $1.98. Cheapest since 2005.
    I don't buy gasoline that is not "top tier" rated.  Sunoco is not a top tier gasoline.  My engine is a "direct injection" twin turbo and really needs a fuel recommended by most premium automobile manufacturers (MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc.).  My iPhone "GasBuddy" App identifies for you those gasolines rated as "top tier".

Some of the top tier gasolines are Costco, Mobil, Texaco, Chevron, Shell, Valero, BP, and Exxon.  Those are the only top tier gasolines sold in my general area.  Direct injection engines need ultra high detergent fuels in order to burn cleaner and leave less residue from combustion.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    dino001 said:
    I filled PUG at 2.099 at Costco last Tuesday.
    Amazing price, dino!  :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    down to 1.55 all over for RUG by me, and I have seen PUG at 1.89. At name brand stations.

• Options
    I spoke with the technician who is going to handle my cardiac stress test on Monday morning.  She told me to make sure I don't eat anything after midnight and not to take my insulin or the 10 or so pills I take every morning - but to bring the medications with me so I can take them after the test.

I won't have to walk on a treadmill - they use an IV medication that increases the heart rate.  What they are trying to assess is the coronary artery where the stent was placed as well as two other arteries that are 50% closed.  They do a series of special cardiograms with ultra sound and use a fluoroscope to observe the heart, valves and blood flow.

I just hope everything works out - I am a little nervous about the whole process.  :s

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    sounds like a theme park ride. Just buckle up and hang on.

at least you have plenty of professionals there monitoring, in case something goes haywire. But hopefully it is just smooth sailing.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    sounds like a theme park ride. Just buckle up and hang on. at least you have plenty of professionals there monitoring, in case something goes haywire. But hopefully it is just smooth sailing.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Oops!  Something happened there.  Sorry.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    best of luck with it. After I finish shovelling the 2' of snow happening, I may be in the cardiac unit too!

• Options
    Sorry I missed you, Mike. I flew into Orlando Sunday and it's been non-stop business right up until midnight last night. Now I'm back in the airport to fly home. We'll have to catch up when I come through for a family vacation in March and I have more control over the schedule. What a crazy week. Good, but crazy. Yesterday I dined with a client until 8 in Miami and then had to get back to Orlando for my flight that leaves in about an hour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    Top tier gasoline is on my mind. With direct injection engines, fuel passes from the tank through pumps, lines, the injector rail, injectors, and then directly into the cylinder. The fuel never touches the head anymore, and detergents were designed to wash that area free of carbon.

No concentration of detergent can help with carbon buildup since the fuel never touches the valves in the head.

So, theoretically, we no longer need detergents, correct? I think gasoline only needs stabilizers to slow oxidation and counteract crappy ethanol.

That's my theory at least. What do you think?

Edit: I suppose detergents could still help with the very tip of the injector, where the fuel exits into the chamber. I imagine the tip would be a carbon magnet. Some engines use both direct and port injection, like Toyota, and in that design the detergents would be critical.