Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Ridge lines just arrived. Sat in one at my dealer. Would be interested in your take, since you have a FS PU and are interested in an odyssey. Seem like the perfect candidate.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Can always crawl into the back seat, fold it down and out the trunk. Or roll down a window.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2016
    henryn said:

stever said:

If you get the minivan, you likely won't have much use for the pickup. At least I wouldn't but I don't mind tossing garbage or manure in the back of mine. And it's a Dodge, so there's that. ;)

Now that I wouldn't do! You will not catch me hauling garbage or manure inside any vehicle. That's what they made pickup trucks for.
    Garbage, hay, dirt, furniture, rattlesnakes, whatever. It all gets tarped and stuck in the back of the van (the snakes go in the garbage can first though).

Went to a solstice party last night and chatted up the host about his rides. He drove a '56 Crown Vic back in the day, tangerine and white, (complete with the metal band - the crown - over the top) and that was his all time favorite car. He wanted to get a power blue used T-bird after that one (for $14,000!), but had two kids by then so wound up with a couple of VW Buses. That was great for separating the two sons who fought all the time. That reminded me of the time I hauled someone's goat in the '69 Bus I drove for a year.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    stickguy said:

Can always crawl into the back seat, fold it down and out the trunk. Or roll down a window.

Actually, no. The rear seat doesn't fold down. Something I didn't know until I got the car, and a baffling design choice.

Probably could not get out a side window without breaking something either on me or the car. Assuming all the other doors were not locked (something I am unsure about as I did not hear *any* actuators clicking) the easiest way out would probably be to recline the drivers seat fully and crawl into the back seat to get out a rear door.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    now I need to check my cars, to see if they have an old fashioned unlock lever.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited June 2016

Here is a pic of the 2017 Ridgeline. Many more can be found by googling. Looks great to me, but if they had asked me I would have made it a little more rugged looking.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    it looks good in person. and I am sure they are happy to sell you some "tough guy" accessories for it!

• Options
    oh, I check my cars. Both have a normal lock lever to flip if you want to manually unlock the door. The Hyundai also has the traditional feature that if you pull the handle, the door unlocks.

the lever even opens and closes when the car locks/unlocks, so really hard to miss!

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Forgot to reply - US color is Indigo Blue, I think it is called Covelline Blue in other places.

I have yet to see another E250 with the open pore wood, and very few with leather. It's definitely unusual spec.
    ab348 said:

That blue paint is gorgeous. What is the name again?

I like the interior too. The open-pore wood trim looks wonderful. Certainly not a color combo a dealer would order for stock. Nice score!

• Options
    The honeymoon with perfection lasted a week. I was out for a drive after I was last on here, and due to the light and maybe traffic and my angle, I was unable to avoid a piece of road debris - apparently a chunk of concrete. It might have hit at an angle, as there is no real cosmetic damage to the car, and nothing on the wheels or front or rear bumper, even underneath. However, the underside plastic skid plate/shield thing is gouged, and maybe cracked or broken in a spot (I don't know how it is supposed to look). Also some scuffs on the matting under the car, which is kind of like a felt coated plastic. I should be thankful there was no paint damage, I guess, just a couple small fine scratches on the very underside of the drivers side sideskirt, impossible to see unless on your back under the car, and I already touched them up, can't see it now. When I heard it hit, I pulled over and examined the car, couldn't see any damage, so I drove home and felt lucky. But I was doubtful, so once home, I got on my back under the car and examined it. I picked out a few small piece of rock composite material. I drove by the same spot and now only see some smallish rock chunks on the road. It doesn't appear to have been a piece of roadwork (concrete, not cement or asphalt).

I have driven the car and it feels fine with no weird noises, but I am going to take it in for inspection, and see what the piece will cost, along to ensure there is no damage I can't see.. With my luck, it will be $3 less than my (high) deductible.

On to something more fun, I always take some "pair" pics of any new car with the fintail, here's one from today:

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @28firefighter - GTI looks great. I do think that's the best color for one - would definitely go that way for one myself, or maybe the newly available silver.

Wife and I went and checked out the new CX-9 today. Dealerships are closed, but they had a nice blue over cream leather Grand Touring model out front that was unlocked.

We are very impressed with the styling. We are fond of the newer Mazda interiors and this one was particularly nice. Not having seen a "signature" model yet, I don't think I'd spend the extra $2k for it. Similar to the last model we owned, the overall profile reminds me more of a larger wagon than an upright SUV, which I like. Third row is definitely a bit tighter than, say, the Pilot or Durango, but the frequency of our need for one is getting less and less, so we'd probably be okay with at least having the 3rd row.

I would consider replacing the van and the X5 with this - if I were closer to the lease-end on the Kia, would really be a consideration.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I wish I had avoided it too. Went south in the old car today, no issues, 167/512 were fine, even 405 wasn't too bad.

White is definitely the color for a Golf like that.

Definitely not today. I've also been staying north of Seattle to avoid the traffic from the concerts, Soccer Game and Pride Parade. Beautiful day though so I washed and waxed the car. The dog helped, too. And by helped, I mean she slept on the driveway and then took credit for my work.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    :)B) I think my Silk Blue is the perfect color for the S, SE & SEL to be honest. Saw a red on the way to dinner tonight and it really is a cop magnet but nice. Did consider the gray one but when I was looking, the colors in stock were minimal and I definitely wanted an ivory interior this time around. Living in South Florida, think the black is just too hot and this was proved to me when I had that red Jetta loaner for a few days and found out it was a color I just could not live with without a seat cover.
    The paint on my car has held up nicely but I always keep a good coat of wax on it and it is garaged nightly. Washed at least once a week as I really hate a dirty vehicle. Just wish my spinal issues would let me wash and wax my own but it's just to painful to be honest. Maybe once I fully retire again in a couple of years I'll do it again because I won't have to worry about going into work.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I like blue cars too :)

Show us some pics!
  • Options
    I need to do some touch up work on the Sonata next week (I stopped friday to get the paint, but it was out of stock, so will go pick it up next Tuesday).

on that car, the front valance hangs real low, so it scrapes on occasion on high curbs. apparantly I really scraped one good, because on the side on the passenger side, there is a big scrape, down to the dark under part with some ridges. So I think I will tape it off, sand it down smooth, then touch it up. Won't be perfect, but should be much less noticable. Also have a few nicks on the hood to hit (darned gravel truck on I95 sprayed me last year) which really annoys me. so I will see what I can do with it. I did pay for damage waiver and dent coverage in the lease, so probably not really worth worrying about, but still bugs me.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Punch time. With less than four weeks left on the Leaf lease, the replacement was finally acquired. It's electric, boogie woogie, woogie...
    Crazy incentives to lease right now. Pano roof, heated seats front & rear, heated wheel, cooled seats, nav, etc. I told them Steve sent me.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Nice. I'd want one just to be able to say.. I have Electric Soul

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This one piqued my interest. It's local and I saw it in a parking lot.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5649940316.html

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    "Beautiful and hard to find" - because nobody bought them in the 1st place except hardcore Saab enthusiasts (especially in a stick). $9,500 sounds pricey, but so does every used car I see that's nice.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @tifighter - mazel-Tov & congrats on the Electric Soul punch! Crazy incentives to lease? Do tell. Inquiring minds want to know. Your house is beautiful

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

"Beautiful and hard to find" - because nobody bought them in the 1st place except hardcore Saab enthusiasts (especially in a stick). $9,500 sounds pricey, but so does every used car I see that's nice.

280 HP, turbo-V6! AWD and a stick!

Come on, now.. you aren't helping.. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

280 HP, turbo-V6! AWD and a stick!

Come on, now.. you aren't helping.. :D
    I saw that part too about the AWD & 280 hp turbo V6. To add more fuel to the fire, I had a 2000 Saab 9-3 (4cyl, 185 hp, 185 lb ft torque, turbo, 15" wheels) that I loved. It was a blast to drive!

• Options
    I love that SAAB. 80K miles is borderline. price does not seem too out of line, but pretty sure I would only want to take her on a date, but not get into a serious relationship.

• Options
    Just did a quick inventory search of a couple of local kia dealers. Most either have zero or 1 Soul EV.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    @tifighter, brilliant! I'm juiced about your choice. Hope it works out to be a dynamo of a car for you. :)
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Big congrats, Ti. Cool car!

Walt....diggin' that Saab. Posted in the other forum, I have a colleague with one of those "GM" Saabs, same motor but an automatic. He loves it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Electric Soul, it does have quite a ring to it. I have seen a few on the road here. The kind of vehicle EV tax coddling was intended for.
  • Options
    Remind me again what your new ride is Fin - oh yeah, a "clean" diesel. :p

Big day for VW tomorrow, you might say it's going to be a $10 Billion dollar day.
  • Options
    I must be out of touch. Is vw finally settling with the Feds?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, assuming the judge signs off on it tomorrow, it'll be a big step forward for VW.

"Taking shape after months of negotiations is a broad settlement agreement, expected to exceed $10 billion, involving Volkswagen, the federal government and a half-million car owners. The provisions are expected to offer those owners some financial compensation in addition to fixing or buying back their vehicles." (NY Times)

There's still another $8 billion set aside by VW for class action suits and dealing with the European regulators. (seems wrong not to capitalize that B in billion. B))

Lots of European owners will be clamoring for similar payments as US VW owners should get.

And there's still some criminal indictments being kicked around in the US, the EU and now South Korea has issued an arrest warrant for some exec.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2016
    blue over saddle is gorgeous, as always.

On the automatic C6, I was surprised to find out my CTS would give it fits in straight out acceleration. From what I am seeing published, the CTS may even have it beat, but its a driver's race, to be sure.

Also love that Saab drivetrain combo. Believe it or not, that would fetch mid $8s at the block, so the price is reasonable.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Nice car ti!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Yep, a lot cleaner than an old diesel or a commercial vehicle, or any number of gross polluters the easily bought greenies overlook every day.

I am sure the professional victims (I mean the misled victimized consumers lolol) will be lining up for a piece of VW. The criminal thing is funny too, definitely politically motivated in SK. I hope the financial compensation is a $100 voucher for VW branded accessories.
    stever said:

Remind me again what your new ride is Fin - oh yeah, a "clean" diesel. :p

Big day for VW tomorrow, you might say it's going to be a $10 Billion dollar day.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I like that Saab also. Wasn't that 2.8L turbo V-6 also used by Cadillac in something? The platform is Opel Insignia IIRC. Body parts might be hard to come by.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    edited June 2016
    Sweet ride, tifighter!

What did the money factor and residual end up being on that? I know they had super high lease cash, but I was not able to find rates on them.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    stickguy said:

Ridge lines just arrived. Sat in one at my dealer. Would be interested in your take, since you have a FS PU and are interested in an odyssey. Seem like the perfect candidate.

I stopped by our local Honda dealer yesterday to see the new Ridgeline. I really like the looks of it and it seems to combine utility and comfort.

Too bad our local dealer is stuck in the 1970's....next to the Monroney sticker they added their own sticker which had a line item of $1,495 for "dealer marketing and prep
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I kind of agree with throwing the book at VW. They cheated, covered it up, misled regulators repeatedly when caught, then Mueller tried to say they never lied. And, arrogantly, they had no backup plan to quickly bring the cars into compliance if they were caught. 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ridgeline interest is high and it seems like lots of wannbe truck owners like the less aggressive styling on the Honda, compared to the Big 3's "get out of my way" stances.

But initial indications from the few forum posts is that it's overpriced at the moment. A few folks said they'd wait until the demand eases and supplies pick up.

In other news, there are two Chevy Volts currently in stock at two dealers in El Paso.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    ab348 said:

I like that Saab also. Wasn't that 2.8L turbo V-6 also used by Cadillac in something? The platform is Opel Insignia IIRC. Body parts might be hard to come by.

Yes, that engine was also available in the SRX

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    It is amazing how easily it is to get a car to sticker for $50K these days. I saw a gorgeous black/black 2016 C300 4Matic sedan at the beach yesterday. It had the Sport Package with those 18" 5 spoke wheels. I put a few select options in it; Lunar Blue Metallic Paint, P2 Pkg, Heated Steering Wheel, pre paid maintenance to 40K miles - MSRP comes out to $50K. It's a sharp looking car & I'm sure it drives nice. Is it worth double what my Legacy costs? It's only got 67 more horsepower.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I just can't do it. Considering I paid $49k for my Vsport, that is now my measuring stick. Anything over $40k has to at least come close. It is a tough new car market, that's for sure. I'm vaguely intrigued by the Fusion Sport. We'll see how that turns out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    nyccarguy said:
    It is amazing how easily it is to get a car to sticker for $50K these days. I saw a gorgeous black/black 2016 C300 4Matic sedan at the beach yesterday. It had the Sport Package with those 18" 5 spoke wheels. I put a few select options in it; Lunar Blue Metallic Paint, P2 Pkg, Heated Steering Wheel, pre paid maintenance to 40K miles - MSRP comes out to $50K. It's a sharp looking car & I'm sure it drives nice. Is it worth double what my Legacy costs? It's only got 67 more horsepower.
    I know what you mean. 50k is the new 30k I guess.  I remember lusting after 3 series BMWs that were in the 30s new and wishing my beer budget could contain my champagne dreams.   The most expensive 3 on my dealers lot today has a MSRP of 62k!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stever said:

Ridgeline interest is high and it seems like lots of wannbe truck owners like the less aggressive styling on the Honda, compared to the Big 3's "get out of my way" stances.

But initial indications from the few forum posts is that it's overpriced at the moment. A few folks said they'd wait until the demand eases and supplies pick up.

That kills it for me. I never buy anything that is in high demand, and selling for near or over MSRP.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

I know what you mean. 50k is the new 30k I guess.  I remember lusting after 3 series BMWs that were in the 30s new and wishing my beer budget could contain my champagne dreams.   The most expensive 3 on my dealers lot today has a MSRP of 62k!

I remember that 3-series cost something like $15K when I graduated HS in 1982. About $37K today, based on inflation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    fintail said:

Electric Soul, it does have quite a ring to it. I have seen a few on the road here. The kind of vehicle EV tax coddling was intended for.

I had double check to make sure I didn't mispost in the diesel thread by accident.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    We had a "loaded" 2003 325i. Everything but NAV, basically. MSRP of $38K.

So, 13 years later, a 328i similarly equipped is $50K/yr? (plus, a lot more tech, I'm guessing).

Seems about right. Time flies.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I don't want to go above 30k on my next car. Even at that point, likely another lease.

Also why probably going used. Get that 50k 2016 Bradd saw, for close to $30k when the 2018s are on the ground!

• Options
    Having the last "free" oil change on the X5 right now.  The dealerships sister MINI and Honda stores just moved into their new facilities next door, so makes for some fun browsing:

CPO 428 Gran Coupe.  2016 with only 9k miles, and priced accordingly.  Probably about $9k off new MSRP.  I like them, but would prefer to wait until they are "more" used.

535 GT.  I know these aren't the prettiest thing, but they sure depreciate a lot.  2013 well equipped with 30k miles for $36k. Lots of car for the money.

New Pilot - still like the CX9 better aesthetically, but man Honda really knows how to package things.  Really roomy in all 3 rows, and a great push button mechanism to move the second row up for access to the rear seats.

Ridgeline - still a bit bland in person.  They'll sell tons.

• Options
    What exactly is the difference between a 3 GT and 4 GC? Aren't they both 5 doors, on the same platform?

• Options
    3 GT is based off the Chinese longer platform 3-series, so has tons of rear legroom.  It also sits more upright and thus looks a bit frumpier.  

4 GC has the same lower profile of other 4-series and thus is much sleeker, but has less headroom and rear legroom.

Love the hatchback on both, but I think I'd sacrifice the rear legroom for the better aesthetic look.