Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Troubles (B5 platform, nee Audi)

Comments

• Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I've been reading some of the posts here, let me add what I am going through right now, so others can take note of it. My 98 Passat 1.8T has 87K miles, it had really been running great, no major complaints. Last week, it dies on the road. The timing belt snaps, and the head is destroyed (maybe more). You think it has a 100K warranty, guess again. VWofA is denying the claim because I didn't have the cash receipts for the oil I purchased. I have an accurate maintenance log: dates, mileage, work performed. The dealer tore down my motor at the request of VW to look for sludge, its spotless (I use Mobil 1), but they still refuse to cover it. The maintenance book is full of "gotchas", and they are using them to deny warranty claims, especially major stuff on the 100K warranty. I can't even get the VW district service manager to speak with me. I've talked to a lawyer, but the reality is that it will be hard to win a case like this, and in any case will take a very long time. VWofA in Michigan is no help, they told me flat out that they can't compel the district service manager to do anything or to talk to me.

So if you do DIY maintenance, save even the smallest receipt for every quart of oil you buy, and use a VW filter only, otherwise they will get you if you need warranty service. And even if your car is running fine and you are doing your own scheduled maintenance, take the car for service at the dealer evey once in a while, and ask them to check if any TSBs need to be inspected/applied to the car.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, your story, though most unfortunate (sorry that happnened to you) is a bit confusing.

What does the timing belt breaking have to do with the oil? Two separate issues here. If you didn't change your timing belt when recommended, then it's on your dime, is my understanding.

Please tell us more if you'd like, it's interesting.
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    There is no change interval on the belt for a 98 1.8T, VW changed it to a 105K mile interval in 2001 (I think, check your maintenance book). When it was first diagnosed, the dealer started talking about a seized camshaft snapping the belt. He had my maintenance log, all my Mobil 1 DIY changes clearly marked and noted, but no cash register receipts for the purchase of the oil (with the exception of the very last oil change last month, I got the Costco receipt for that oil). Even though the engine inspection for sludge is clean, they won't cover it because of the receipts. It doesn't seem to matter that the oil and the belt are unrelated. I tried getting other register receipts from Costco, where I buy all my Mobil 1, but they only have them back 30 days, I need 2 years worth. VWofA told me that the district service manager had final say on whether to cover the repair or not, so there doesn't appear to be anyone else to go to.

I'll have to make a decision this week, I could fix it at my own expense and then pursue court action. But I could easily lose that case, and if the repair cost is too high, I might not want to fix the car knowing my chances of recovering. I'd be better off donating it to charity and taking the tax writeoff. If anyone knows of any salvage yards that specialze in late model VWs, please post.

I was confused at the beginning also, but then I started to read about some other people's experiences on other boards. The bottom line is that it appears that if you do your own maintenance, cover your a**, don't leave any loopholes that could be used to deny your warranty claims. Then again, I never had this problem with Ford or Honda.
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    You are supposed to change the timing belt every 105k miles? Hmmmm sounds kinda strange. I would think it should be done every 60k miles. I better look at my owners book...
  • Options
    chrisashechrisashe Member Posts: 1
    I had the same experience as described in post # 351 during a test drive. The only difference is I had an automatic. I was going to go back and test the manual, but now I don't think I have to unless someone can explain why this happend in this car.
  • Options
    barkasy1barkasy1 Member Posts: 44
    Hiya All,

I guess this is the WRONG message board to check out when you already have a $ 1,000.00 deposit on an In-Bound '02 GLX V6 Variant (Wagon). I just didn't want another Ford from past experience with wind-noise due to improperly aligned body panels, roof rack rattles from poor assembly, creaks and weird clanks from the brake/front end arena, wallowy handling, wiper fluid switch and lug nut recalls, cheap switches, eternal engine light from emissions problems that cost $ 400.00 to fix and is NOT fixed, dealer lies and maintenance department inadequacies, seats that cripple you on long drives, interior lights and door-open light on from misaligned door latch, etc., etc.,...

I went to book stores and bought magazines, I spent endless hours on the inter net, I have test drove multitudes of cars (and endured the volley of post-test-drive sales calls) and the result of my quest pointed to the '02 Passat Wagen. So I says to myself "Self, we are going to treat you to some German stylin'." You know what? I am still getting the Passat after reading every "post 2001.5 message" here.

What are the other choices? Don't make me laugh. A Toyota Camry (pronounced Coma-ry) and your not even 65 years old yet? A Honda with its wheel noise so loud you can't here your cell phone while driving on course pavemant, not to mention that oh-so sweet Odyssey exterior (lol)? A Highlander or Sienna "Engine Sludge Fest" which Toyota has been quite "Extraordinaire" in ignoring until as of late. A BMW who's maker is proud of thier "Most Profitable Car Manufacturer" status (I wonder why? heh heh!).

Have any of you ever seen a Toyota Recommended Maintenance Schedule? You will soon know your dealer's maintenace people if you put miles on your car. I had a Toyota once and it seemed I was at the dealers once a month for "routine" maintenance. Oh, and by the way, NO Dealer Service is inexpensive.

I have spoken to quite a few local Passat owners on the street and they all seem happy with their cars to me.

And "Oh My God!", a dealer service department that is too busy to do warranty repairs or fix it right the first time! The Humanity! Uh People...they are like that everywhere (Fords, Chevys, all of them). If you are very kind, are close to your purchase date, and have an easy fix, service departmemts are generally great. The actual Mechanic makes a BIG difference also.

The Passat is a "Family Car". A "Family Car" with a sporty yet smooth ride. A Family car with great style, components and interior. A "Family Car" that puts a smile on the drivers face. A "Family Car" with an EXCELLENT safety rating. What would you feel like if your wife or child got hurt or killed in an accident because you based your car buying decision on rattles or 0-60 comparisons? If most of your driving is not racing cars at stop lights than the Passat is great. You almost never hear people complaining of the engine's power in the 30-100 mph area. At those speeds the Passats kicks the others butts.

Please, to those of you that this pertains to, stop whining about a buzz, rattle or whistle, or even small electrical glitches like an intermittent wiper fluid switch. I (and I hope most of us...) am interested in Major Electrical or Mechanical Component problems and Proper Maintenance Issues. I'm not going to change my mind on which car to purchase because of a wiggly door latch.

I drove a Passat, and then fell in love with it. My feelings are that VW's are notoriously appealing for younger people. Younger means more Internet Friendly. Internet Friendly means more blabbing on Forums. More blabbing on Forums means every problem known to man is exposed. Also, people who buy Passats are educated, they READ. They don't want to be swindled by dealers in any respect. How many Caddy owners do you think are writing daily pros and cons on these type of forums? The Passats are leading the way to changing the VW/Young Person reputation. Where else can you get an affordable "Family Car" that is as good? You want a Sporty Passat? You need to do tires, chips, and some suspension tightening. It's SUPPOSED to ride like it does because that's what it was DESIGNED to be.

Does anyone have any MAJOR warnings on the '02 GLX 2.8L V6 or good fluid or maintenance recommendations? Stop scaring me and other people with rattles or squeaks, or a '95 with an oil leak.

Thanks, Dave ;^)
    '98 Ford Expedition soon to become a '02 VW Passat GLX V6 Tip. Variant
  • Options
    kwandlingkwandling Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Passat wagon with 35,000 miles on it. This lemon has been in and out of the shop 4 or 5 times for major work (or at least major bills), and it's well out of warantee.

I've had a strange problem the past few weeks, and I've hesitated to take it to the dealer since it seems as though they charge me $100 every time I so much as drive by the place. There is a squeaking noise that seems to worsen considerably as the temperature outside rises. This car squeaks when you brake and squeaks when you start accelerating from a stop. It even squeaks when the driver or passenger sits down in it, although not when the temperature is low. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'd like to be somewhat educated when I take it to a mechanic, since I'm a single female and hate to be taken for a ride!
    P.S. To the previous message poster- I do NOT consider this a minor annoyance!
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    I had the chance to check an owner's manual looking for service requirements. I read that the 1.8T engine requires timing belt inspections at 40K and 80K, then replacement at 105K. The 2.8 engine did not require any inspections, only replacement at 105K.

Any comments as to the different service requirements? How difficult (expensive) is an inspection anyway?
  • Options
    crizzo1crizzo1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I cannot speak for the 1.8 L Turbo, but on the 99 V6, the change interval is 75,000 miles. I would say you were driving on borrowed time. I believe as of 2001, the timing belt was changed and you could go 100,000 miles. But, as previously stated, the oil has NOTHING to do with the timing belt. If you have > 100,000 miles and are on the original timing belt, get your car to the shop immeditely and have it replaced. Go ahead and have the water pump replaced at the same time to save on labor, this is a good idea for maintenance reasons (and the VW water pump sucks)... My 2 cents..
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I just looked at the service schedule on vw.com for a 99 Passat with v-6...the maintenance on the timing belt is "check" at 40,000 and 80,000 miles. The chart only goes out to 100,000 miles. There is no "change" recommendation within the 100,000 mile chart. This is the same for the 1.8T engine, too.

There is the recommendation to change the "v" belt at 80,000 miles, but I personally would interpret that to refer to the accessory belt, not the timing belt.

Look at vw.com, the click on "vw,etc", then click "parts and service" and then click on "maintenance". You can enter in your vehicle and engine, then select the mileage. It will produce the next service recommendation. It will also give you the option to see the enter schedule. Check it out and see what you think.

I haven't compared this to the owner's manual, but it might be interesting to see if there are any discrepancies.
  • Options
    sullydittosullyditto Member Posts: 1
    I purchase a new 2002 automatic 4cyl gls Passat. When I turn on the car, in the first minute of ignition the car has a really rough idle. It shutters/shakes. I can not simply start the car and drive off immediately because the car is rough idling, then it smooths out. Has any one else experienced this, if so what was the problem and how did they fix it. I need to go to the dealership, but dont want to keep going back and forth. I have already been to the dealer 2 times in the first two weeks of owning the car. It was a minor issue, the moonsoon radio stopped working. The problem was the radio fuse connection. VW apparently knows about the radio issue, but what about the rough idle?
  • Options
    wack101859wack101859 Member Posts: 5
    I was driving on Long Island about a week ago and passed by a VW dealership. I always like to go look at the Passat's that are in the dealers lot. When I started to look at the Passats I was horrified to see some with moldings missing. I was also astonished to see a beautiful 2001.5 red Passat 4 Motion with its transmission and engine pulled out. The dealership was closed and there was no fence to keep out people from looking but I have to tell you If I owned that car I would raise holy hell with the service manager. How can the service department people jus leave a car exposed not only to the elements but the general public? I would never get my car serviced by that dealer who seems to have utter disregard for that particular owner. It really makes you wonder if VW really wants to clean up their service dept. issues. At least they could have put the car in a more secluded area away from the public. I understand that engines and transmissions fail but to have to see that really makes me wonder about VW about whether they really care about their customers or not.
  • Options
    yousteryouster Member Posts: 10
    In the past 24 months, 40k miles, my 2000 Passat GLS has had now 8 times of the Emission Workshop message. Granted, 3 of out 8, were mis-diagnosed therefore not properly repaired. But still, to have 5 different malfunctions in 2yrs,40k miles, is seriously bad workmanship. Although I love the car, and all repair were covered by VW, 8 times to the dealership is a terrible waste of time for me and a joke to a $23k car! Am I supposed to have a 'scheduled' malfunction every 3 months? I think not. I tried to convince VW to give me a replacement Passat, no deal.

That's very sad, for VW. I never had such headaches with my used Honda Accords and Civics.
  • Options
    library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    I was in Virginia Beach May 19, a Sunday, and stoped by the VW dealer to show my wife how lovely the Passats were- well, behind the empty service bays, a New Passat was out in a parking space with its hood up, and an engine support whatzit across the open engine bay attached to either the engine or transaxel- with lots of bare metal exposed to the rainstorms. WHAT THE HELL?!?!

With service like this, I'm leting my wife get a Honda Civic Hybrid.
  • Options
    rabkowskirabkowski Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same rough ignition problems as #362. (Rough idle if the car has sat for more than a few hours. Worse when it is very humid. Rough run goes away after 10 seconds or 60 feet.) The dealer has had the car twice. They replaced the ignition coils. No effect. They then re-FLASHED the controller. It seemed to help, but did not completely fix the problem. They tell me some Jettas are having the same problem and all it requires is an updated program being FLASHED into the controller computer. Does any one know ANYTHING about this? I paid $23k for this car, and my friend's crappy $10k Hyundai has had a lot fewer problems.
  • Options
    madpassatmadpassat Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else out there experienced this problem with frequent check engine light appear? The dealer keeps telling me it's due to the gas cap not being properly closed. One time it was loose, but other times I found it to be tightly closed. It's happen to me now 4 times. It's a 2000 GLS Passat and has 36,000 miles ...so I'm passed the warranty limits. Please reply if you have experienced this and how you were able to handle it with the dealer. It's quite upsetting when this happens. Thanks!
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Go to autozone, they may still have the offer on getting the OBDII computer scanned.

Just pull the codes, and hopefully someone here can interpret them for you.
  • Options
    ragtop3ragtop3 Member Posts: 11
    I just found this quote from an Edmund Consumers Most Wanted list "The Volkswagen Passat was the runner up for our editors' favorite family sedan, but a vast majority of consumers chose it as their most wanted. Garnering almost twice as many votes (1,030) as the next contender, the Honda Accord (564, quite an impressive number for a vehicle due for a complete redesign next year), the Passat proves that you can't go wrong with a functional car that's also fun to drive."

Does anyone know if they're referring to the 2003 redesign of the Accord or is VW planning to redesign the Passat which I think Edmund's statement implies (?)
  • Options
    They're referring to the Accord
  • Options
    Is anyone out there familiar with this part on the Passat? I took my car in this morning to the VW Dealer for my 'check engine' light problem and they told me the secondary air injector line had to be replaced. The car is only 2 yrs old and mentioned it's not covered under the waranty. I do have an 8 yr waranty on emissions. Does anyone know if this would be an emissions problem? Thanks for any input!
  • Options
    One last thing due to the 'check engine' light on the VW dealer said they would not give me an inspection sticker unless my problem with the 'check engine' light gets resolved - basically replace the secondary air vacuum injector line. Has anyone heard of this in the state of MA that if this engine light is on, a dealer/garage cannot issue an inspection sticker? Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    cmigs1cmigs1 Member Posts: 4
    Well, I just got off the phone with the dealership. My Passat was in for a 60k oil change and tire rotation. I was informed an inspection of the timing belt identified the belt as cracked. As it was stated to me, if the belt broke while driving on the highway (which I do 100 miles a day), would result in the engine having significant damage. Sounded funny to me...since the car is running fine. Any thought out there? Does this sound legit?
  • Options
    arupsarkararupsarkar Member Posts: 7
    If your belt IS in fact cracked and you don't change it AND it breaks you would have much more than just significant damage. You would in all likely hood need a new engine to the tune of 5000 to 7000 dollars or at the very least a new head, valves and pistons. Get a second opinion if you want, but if it IS cracked CHANGE THE BELT IMMEDIATELY. This is a normal wear item. Read your manual and you'll know. Now that VW has warned you, if the belt should break they will NOT fix the engine under the 100,000 mi. warranty
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    I recently replaced all the bent intake valves, 1 valve guide, 1 of the camshafts, and 1 camshaft sprocket on a customer's '93 Passat, to the tune of about $2,300. Oh yes, I also replaced the broken timing belt while I was at it. Your call.
  • Options
    Arupskar is right...the engine always run fine right up until the belt breaks. Since VW's have an interference engine design, at the very least you will have significant valve damage. Get the belt done immediately. When it breaks, you will be marooned. I can almost guarantee that it will break at the worst possible moment, too.

You may also want to consider replacing the water pump at the same time, since it's fully exposed during this work. At the very least, have the mechanic check to see if it's seeping. I'd get it replaced if you are planning to keep the car for much longer, since you save on the labor. If it goes bad later, you will pay all of this labor again to gain access to it.

By the way, brace yourself for the repair estimate. This work, from what I have seen on the Clubb5 and VWvortex, ranges wildly in price from $300 to more than $600 in price. I'd shop around for the best deal.
  • Options
    cmigs1cmigs1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback, I did get the timing belt done. FYI, it cost $525...but at least they through in the oil change, tire rotation, and they washed it inside and out....at least I have piece of mind....fyi, the dealership talked me out of doing the water pump, since it's covered under the powertrain warrantee until 100k.
  • Options
    Absolutely! There's nothing quite like the thrill of running an engine on the edge of self-destruction to bring on an adrenalin rush!

I mentioned the water pump because they seem to be a known weak link. I tend to keep cars ten years and 160,000 miles or more, so I might still have considered the pump despite the dealers advice, since I know I'll be out of the warranty period for a good portion of the car's life. But a seeping pump gives you some time to get the job done...not like a blown timing belt.
  • Options
    maplewood1maplewood1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue. The check engine light is on almost once per month. My car is 2000 Passat GLE too. I have visited dealership so many times, and am very tired of this. First time they told me because of the loose of gas cap, but gas cap is very tight now, and am still experience this problem. My car is jerking once engine light is on now, and I have to shut down engine and turn it on to fix it. The dealership just can not find any problem. It seems like computer automatically erased all of data.

I have also called VW customer service and they can't help me too much because they told me they had to rely on dealership. :-)

Please let me know if you have a similar problem, or how is this fixed. Thanks.
  • Options
    screwloosescrewloose Member Posts: 7
    I am considering buying an extended warranty policy on my '02 Passat 1.8T. Does anybody out there have any good/not so good stories to tell about THEIR experiences with the VW or GE Capital extended warranty programs. I have 21K on my car without any problems whatsoever and would like to hear from others who have had problems and used an extended warranty to get them repaired. thanks, screwloose
  • Options
    hidrhidr Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I am desperate for a solution. I want to ask if anyone out there having problem with condensation in the side marker lens. 3 month after I got 2002 GLX, some idiot stole my side marker lenses and lamps (lights below side mirrors). They pulled the lens out and cut a wire inside. They also tried to steal my alloy wheels but saw the lock bolt, then gave up.

Our dealer reinstalled a new side marker lenses, lamps, and wires. After a few days later, a driver side marker lens was getting foggy. I can see that there is moisture inside. Several days later, it started to form beads of water inside. We went to get serviced twice. The third time, e went back to our dealer and replaced the left lens and two hours later I see the moisture forming in the lens again. The right side lens is just fine since they replaced first time. We went back to dealer right away to show what’s going on. The dealer had no clue and seemed not cared. They used air pressure to spray inside the lens, which has not way of getting air. If you’ve seen the lens carefully, lamp goes in the lens but have clear plastic cover over it. No way of getting moisture in there. The dealer messed around, but the result is the same.

I am getting sick of it. I bought a new car so I don’t have to commute to the dealer every other month. Does anyone have some problem? If so how did you fix it? Any suggestions???
  • Options
    sharcsharc Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my "check engine light" on my '99 1.8T Passat. Happened about 4-5 times, 2 times accompanied by very rough starts in cold weather. This was when the car was 3 months to a year old. They did oil changes every time (under warranty) and that would rest the system for a while. After the fifth time this happened, they changed the spark plugs and I haven't had a hiccup since. That was almost 2 years and 100,000kms ago. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    rickwvwrickwvw Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my 2002 Passat GLX with 4motion on 7-1. We drove it about 20 Miles. On 7-2 the engine would not turn over. The dealer held the car over night and on 7-3 the car started without a problem. They let it sit for about 30 minutes and it would not start. Has anybody had a similar problem?
  • Options
    stevex74stevex74 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with starting my 2002 Passat GLS (1.8T). The car is a little over a month old, with about 2000 miles on it. The problem is this: If the car has been sitting for an hour or longer, it will not start on the first turn of the key. It cranks fine, just won't start/run. On the 2nd turn of the key, it always starts immediately and runs great.

I've already been back to the dealer once and they replaced a fuel pump relay. Later that night, same problem! (Valet service at the dealer brings up all cars, so I didn't catch it at the dealer.)

Anybody else out there having these kinds of problems? Any ideas I could present the dealer would be appreciated.
  • Options
    whterbtwhterbt Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2002 Passat GLX for about two weeks now. It has been running great, but last night, as I was taking it into a car wash, the Climatronic system flipped out. The external temperature read --C, the backlighting would not come on, and the A/C switched off. Nothing I tried (turning the system off/on, restarting the car) would reset it.

This morning, though, it came back on with no problems - backlighting and all. Anybody know what might have caused this, how I can fix it if it happens again, or how I can prevent it?
  • Options
    golfer_77golfer_77 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this car in 2001 Oct. I had a problem with the check engine light flashing(MIL) and the entire car vibrating and shaking in Mar. Took it into the dealership and they reported that a coil pack had failed and they had to replace it. Since then I have had 3 coilpacks fail within 4 months. VW customer service(HA! What a joke) claims that the problem was rectified so there is no possiblity for them to replace my car, instead they will send me a gift certificate for my trouble. The fact that a brand new car has been taken into the shop 3 times over the last 4 months for a problem that their manual states as being very serious, is atrocious to me. This company has shown itself to me as being a complete fraud. Rip off artists coming up with ways to bail on a customer is not what I expected from a company that makes a big deal about its 'Customer Service'. What a joke VW is. I will never ever buy another VW and will most def spread that word along. 'Drivers wanted' my a#@ !
  • Options
    peatrhpeatrh Member Posts: 1
    (in response to Charles15 above)I have a 2001.5 GLS V6 4mo that also has severe hesitation of 2 or more seconds on a regular basis, usually while pulling out into a busy street from a dead stop. ABS might have something to do with it. I agree that it is a severe safety concern and that it should be reported appropriately.

My general opinion of the car (I've had a few quality V6 autos recently): Great on the interstate, maybe the best, and that is what I do most of, so I do like the car alot. VW service is very obviously a circling shark. Safety (otherwise) seems to be extremely high. Interior is beautiful, but delicate upholstery and carpets are difficult to keep clean. The paint rivals that of BMW. The engine is a gas hog and weak, compared to Camry and Maxima at equivalent prices. Much body roll and shifting on twisty roads, especially at lower speeds. No (other) big problems to date.
  • Options
    The hesitation may be from the Electronic Throttle Control system. If the brake pedal is still depressed slightly when you transistion to gas pedal, the brake pedal overrides the gas pedal.

It noticed the same thing heel-toeing in my car.

There was a TSB issued on this matter around 1999 because owners were complaining of the same thing.
  • Options
    sharcsharc Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2002 1.8T Passat a couple of weeks ago and have only 1400 kms. I have noticed that if the car is left over night and started in the morning, the idle is at 1300 rpm and the car sounds very rough for about 3 minutes. After that, idle sits at 900 rpm and is whisper quiet after that. Have also noticed a high pitch whining sound once in a while when revving the engine (hot or cold). My last Passat ('99, 1.8T) didn't do either of these things. Anyone have an idea if these two things are normal for the 02? I will obviously ask the dealer about them when I go for my first oil change but any info you guys could provide before I go there would help. Thanks,
  • Options
    The high pitch whining noise is the turbo spooling up. It's such a nice sound....why I tend to roll my windows down and turn down the radio volume.

The high idle....sounds right with my previous experience in Toyotas.
  • Options
    th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    My mom's 2000 Passat refuses to start after the engine is stalled or shut off for a short period of time. There are no warning lights lit or any obvious signs of mechanical problems(no overheating, lack of oil, or low coolant levels) that could be causing it. The car has 11.5k miles on it.

Another problem is oil consumption. I checked her oil recently and to my surprise found none! Not one drop registered on the dipstick. This check was prompted by a horrible grinding sound that I heard when she started it the other day. I waved her down, told her to turn the car off so as not to risk damage to her engine. Luckily, I had some 5W-30 in the garage and 3 quarts later it was back into the normal range on the dipstick. I've never seen a car use 3 quarts of oil after only 1.5k miles into an oil change. Her car doesn't leak it so it must burn it. All you V6 owners should check your oil on a regular basis just to be safe because I seriously doubt the powertrain warranty covers engine failure due to a lack of oil.
  • Options
    gaspereauxgaspereaux Member Posts: 3
    About a year ago, when my 2000 Passat GLX was still under warranty, my rear view mirror just fell off one day when the temperature exceeded 100 deg. F. The local VW mechanic 'popped' it back on again at no charge. On July 3 the temperature again exceeded 100 deg F and it fell off.

I took the car back to the dealer again and explained that it happened a year ago and how it was resolved. They say that the mirror can't be 'popped' back on and must be replaced at $235.00 and 1.5 hours labor. I have checked the connection housing and it looks very soft and should be replaced - replacing the casing would accomplish this.

I feel that I may have a warranty claim here but VW is less than enthusiastic. Has any one had a similar problem? Helpful advise will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

gaspereaux@yahoo.com
  • Options
    inboccalupoinboccalupo Member Posts: 3
    Hi all!

I'm new here. Before posting I did a search on the problem I have but couldn't find anything.

I'm not sure I'll be able to perfectly describe this noise but I'll do my best:

The beast: a metallic noise that comes on sometimes (I think it's happening more often now) usually after I hit 40-45 mph.

Once this noise starts it wouldn't necessarily go away if I reduce the speed.

If I touch the brake (and keep my foot lightly on it) it does go away but once I release the brake the noise comes back. Also, if I turn, the noise disappears but comes back when I straighten the car again.

This noise is somewhat similar to the warning noise for the brakes, when you need to change them. It might have a higher pitch, or a
    different pattern.

Sometimes I think that the wind may have something to do with this darned noise. It sounds as if the wind were hitting something that's loose and the noise comes from the driver's side, I think.

I've had this car for a year (certified pre-owned) and the first time I noticed the noise I took the car in (about two months after I bought it). At the dealership they said they hadn't been able to replicate the noise but they inspected and serviced the brakes just in case. I am not sure if the problem went away because it was winter and you can't hear the noise with the windows up and the stereo on.

I'm not driving this car much. I bought it with low mileage (Passat 1999 - 26K) and so far I've put only 7,000 miles on it. The car was last serviced by VW (Tulley, Nashua, NH) three months ago, when it hit the 30,000 mile mark.

Anybody with the same/similar problem? Any ideas? What should I do???

Many thanks.
  • Options
    gingeegingee Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I wonder if anyone has some experience/advice on this problem? I've had my Passat for a little over 3 years (original owner) and it has 48K miles on it. I started having problems shifting into drive (in automatic mode; I don't use the Tiptronic "manual" shifting since I don't know how to drive a stick), and then the electronic gear display "flipped" from the usual dark-on-light to the reverse. The manual said this display reversal might indicate an electronic problem; so I called & took it to the dealer. The service mgr. hooked it up to their portable diagnostic unit, pressed some buttons, and reset something. He said that might have fixed it; drive it and see. But a few hours later, it was right back where I started. So I took it in and the service dept. tells me I need a new "multifunction transmission switch" - for about $420. But despite the fact that this part has the word "transmission" in it's name, implying it is a necessary part of the transmission system - they claim it is not covered by the 10 year/100K mile warranty (the service guy this morning told me it's on a "list of parts not covered" - but when I asked him to fax or email me the list, he indignantly told me it was VW internal documentation and I couldn't have a copy).

VW Customer Care is not being of much help either. I called and opened a case on the issue. The response I got back later in the day when I called to follow up was that "because of the age and mileage, this isn't covered under warranty." I challenged that - it's 3 yr/48K versus the 10 yr/100K powertrain warranty - that doesn't make sense to me I said. The customer rep put me on hold, and then came back with a new answer that it wasn't a covered part because it's "not an internal component of the transmission, it's a part that leads up to the transmission". I asked her if I could get a copy of the warranty that would spell this out, and she said I should be able to get that from the dealer (right!!!). Now I'm waiting for a supervisor at VW Customer Care to look at my case & get back to me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    passater1passater1 Member Posts: 4
    Strange things have happened during the 18000 mi. life.
    First, rear hatch would not lock electrically. Lock assembly replaced.
    Second, turn signals slowly failed to work. Started by flashing only five or six times, then stopping, then went to one or two flashes before stopping. Eventually stopped completely. Was told flasher was bad. None in stock at dealer and had to wait three days to get replaced.
    Third, since replacing flasher, noticed back lighting for window and lock switches on passenger side front door would illuminate after shutting off ignition and leaving doors unlocked. Locking doors caused lights to go off but would light again, shortly after unlocking doors.

This last problem just occurred and I have not yet called the dealer about it. Seems as though these lights are controlled by a processor and not the main headlight switch. Possibly the same processor also controls the flashing of the turn signals and the locking of the hatch.
    Does anyone have access to the electrical system wiring diagrams?
  • Options
    aaron300zaaron300z Member Posts: 19
    We are getting the 2003 Passat in 2 weeks. I'm so happy to get away from the crappy 1999 Honda Civic that we have now.

The VW brands is so much superior to Honda. When we were buying this car we test drove the Accord and then the Passat. The Passat felt like a real car compare to the Accord. We didn't even look at the Toyota Camry. Nissan Altima was nice but the doors are so light that I can damage them them by just looking at them

The 99 Honda Civic has a good record in the mechanical dept. The car doesnt brake but the engine is so weak, I dont feel like moving when driving the Civic, I guess the torque is so poor and it shows every time i drive it. The structure of the car is a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. The breaks in the honda aren't as good as in the VW. When I brake in the VW the feel is so much better, in the HOnda is like the feel is so much less. I guess VW has better quality brake pads.

1) My brother sold his 2000 Accord Coupe for a 2002 GTI 337 ( that's the special edition GTI ).

2)We are selling the 1999 Civic for a 2003 Passat

3) My sister is selling her 1994 Corolla for a 2003 Jetta.

4) My girlfriend's mother sold her 1992 Maxima for a 2000 Jetta .

5) My parents both have a 94 & 95 Accord and they are also soon going to get a VW jetta and Passat.

Most of the people that i know that have VW cars are very happy.

Remember that VW sells over 100,000 cars a year so the less than 1 % that come here are the one that would complain even if they drive any other brand.

Enjoy your car and drive it fast. Drive it like you stole it.

Aaron
  • Options
    th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I wouldn't count on VW's reliability record if I were you and your family. About the Accord not being a "real car", whatever man. My Accord is smoother, quieter and drives better than my mom's Passat so I don't know what you're talking about. The last time I checked my Accord V6 hasn't used 3 quarts of oil like my mom's V6 Passat. If you're so unhappy with the Civic why did you buy it in the first place? Civics aren't meant to be fast. They're cheap, reliable and comfortable transportation just like an economy-car should be. Don't get me wrong, VWs aren't bad either but their reliability has so far proven to be below average.
  • Options
    aaron300zaaron300z Member Posts: 19
    How about the structure of the car? Honda can't match the solid feeling of the VW. These days all the cars are very reliable. I remember 10 years ago that the [non-permissible content removed] have a real advantage over the rest of the world in term of reliability but in the 2002 any car is good and reliable. I love the fact that every VW feel very solid and safer. I guess VW allocate more money for a safer, stronger and more solid frame and Chassis than what they put for a better engine. Now with the 1.8T engine in the Passat and Jetta that's a very reliable engine under the use of a human been with common sense.

If you drive a VW and you are not happy then sell it and stop crying. I sold my Civic SI and got into a BMW and now my girlfriend is at the end of her lease and her Passat 1.8T should be here anytime.
  • Options
    terg1terg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Passat with the tiptronic automatic transmission & the V-6 engine. I just hit 24,500 miles Tuesday night when the check engine light came on the dashboard & a message "EMISSIONS WORKSHOP" appeared. I have been driving the car for the past 3 days and have experienced no change in performance.

I have the car scheduled at the Holbert's VW dealership in PA this weekend. Does anyone have an idea of what causes this problem and what the cost of repairs might be? I am especially concerned given my 2 year/24,000 warranty just ended only two weeks ago.
  • Options
    christie6christie6 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a '03 Passat GLX V6 with automatic tiptronic transmission. I love the car, plenty of pickup and handles well. However, I am very concerned about a grinding noise the car makes in the first 30 seconds of driving forward. It sounds like metal moving against metal. It only makes the noise in drive, but does it almost everytime I use the car. The noise seems to come from the front since I feel a slight vibration in the gas pedal too. If someone else has had a similar experience, or knows what this could be so I could point the service people in the right direction that would be great. I posted in the Passat board but got no response so thought I'd try here.
  • Options
    car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Sounds like the climatronic unit is not "seated" firmly in it's place. Also, powering off on it's own can mean not enough r134a refrigerant in system.
This discussion has been closed.