Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• carcar Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have a quote from a dealer for $11000.00 Check if the dealer is talking about a trade in or cash advance on the car. Also let me know where this dealer is located. I may also be interested in checking this out. You may also need to check that he is giving you the car you desire with all options
  • Just a comment to add to the mix: I have been buying my own cars for almost 20 years and have never been more disappointed in a car than my most recent purchase of a 2003 Sentra. I dislike the handling, the shifting, the noise, the locks, the CD player, the gas cap - even the driver's seat is no longer satisfactory. I've owned Nissans before and expected to like this one just as much. Live and learn, I guess. :(
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    And I'm sorry you dislike your Sentra. But did you not try before you bought? Handling characteristics, shifting, noise, and drivers seat comfort should have been observable on a 10 min. test drive. What was your prior car? For my money, I couldnt be happier with my 2.5LE.

~alpha
  • ottomaticottomatic Posts: 12
    To be fair, you can't tell whether you like a car completely simply with a short test drive; for example, I discovered I'm not fond of the yellow-red color scheme of the instrument cluster-gauges but not until much later and having driven the car at night.

(I read tons of reviews on this website and others, looked at many photographs of the interior and exterior of cars, before even thinking about test driving the car at a dealership.

None of them mentioned the color scheme of the instrument cluster of the Sentra or even suggested test driving after dark, to see how easy it is to remember or reach the cabin controls in the dark, while driving for example.)

And other things, like the driver's side-only keyhole you may never even think of if you've been driving the same car for years, until you take a very close look and realize after talking to others it's a recent development or trend in newer models, cars.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Yes, I understand that. Thats why I picked out specific items that were on the list of pans that are easily observable from a test drive. Take a car out for 10 to 15 mins, and you can pretty much tell if it accelerates, shifts, and sounds to your standards. I'll concede drivers seat comfort- as a short stint is very different from a long haul in the saddle... but the other issues... are difficult to mask in a test drive of any substance.

~alpha
  • Yes, I test drove it - twice, but I should have taken it overnight or in adverse weather (there's the biggest lesson I learned). My previous car was a 1999 Altima and I was very satisfied with it and when I felt the need to get a newer car I automatically went back to the same dealer. I had expected some of the same qualities in the updated, brand new Sentra, but it just hasn't lived up to my expectations. I took it back three times in the first six weeks and get getting told that I just needed to "get used to it" because it was a brand new car. I should like it, but the litany of little things that annoy me have added up to a rather persistent pain in the neck. I know that Nissan can make a good car - I've driven several. I glad to know there are lots of happy drivers out there. By the way, on a recent browse through Comsumer reports, the Sentra was listed on the 'least satisfied' list. :( Lesson learned: take a prospective purchase home overnight and/or test drive in less than perfect weather conditions.
  • Your quote sounds attractive. I called that dealer and they said that price $10495 has expired since the $2500 rebate has been changed to $2000 in this month. They gave me a new quote as $11995, much higher than your quote. BTW, where are you and which dealer is it?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I moved your inquiry about the SE-R Spec V to our Nissan Sentra SE-R/SE-R Spec V discussion. It had been inactive for a few months, but I reopened it.

You might also want to look up the Tiburon discussions - welcome, and good luck!
  • Well, I had posted a previous message a few weeks ago discribing my small problems I had been having with my Sentra. It is a 5speed with 1.8 4 cylinder. My service engine soon light kept coming on. Good news. Took it to the dealer and they did some recall work on it and it took care of the problem. They also fixed 2 other problems that fell into the warranty. Thankgoodness I didnt have to pay anything. The customer service was great. I was out of the dealership 45 minutes later. My gas pedal still sticks for some reason every now and then so I will address that another time. I dont feel so bad now. I was worried that my new purchase was a mistake. I think this will be a good car. Glad its still under warranty for 5 more months. I have been getting a lot of compliments on it lately. Everyone at work cant believe how nice it is inside and out. I love the fog lights. I'm interested in how other owners 2002 sentras are holding up.
  • cargeekishcargeekish Posts: 5
    Hey, I walked into the Nissan Dealership yesterday and was looking for a cheap car with basic safety features. The salesman showed me the 1.8 S version of the Sentra. It DOES NOT have ABS, Side Airbags or anything like that. It does have keyless entry, cd, air, etc. The MSRP of that was about 15,200 or so but with a 2500 rebate they were asking for about 12,700. On top of that I get a IBM discount and a College Grad. discount which brought it down to about 11,900. The salesman told me that he cant go lower then that but after haggling with the guy for 2 hours or so i got him down to about 11,700. My goal was to buy for 11,500 without checking this site but after I did, i saw people buying for like 10750 or so. So I am wondering if I am getting ripped off or is it a good deal for a Nissan Sentra to be about 11,700?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Did you get the Road Trip Package or any other package for the $11,700. price?

The Sandman :-)
  • cargeekishcargeekish Posts: 5
    I dont think so. What is included in the Road Trip package? I cant remember all the details because on that day i looked and test drove over 20 different cars. Makes the mind go insane lol.
  • Why do not you go to the dealship where sold the car for 10,750 to buy it with your special rebates? That should make it 10,000 even. What a deal!
  • shml123456shml123456 Posts: 1
    I tried the manual transmission and the shift stick is shaking. Is it normal ? I tried corolla, civic and no such thing ?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I think it adds the 180 watt 7 speaker stereo, cruise, a leather wrapped steering wheel and leather wrapped shifter in the manual 1.8s.
    The '03's didn't have leather wrapped anything, would've liked it though.

The Sandman :-)
  • fuzzy1fuzzy1 Posts: 1
    Just got a new '04 Sentra 1.8S. (Excellent car for the money)

It seems a bit more noisy when driving at highway speeds than I anticipated (even with a test drives). Just wondering if anyone knows or thinks it may quiet down some as it breaks in. Had a '91 Honda Accord w/ 190,000 miles on it, even with that many miles (and a few mech. probs.) it was still quieter than the Sentra. And even at 13 years old it is still way more car than the Sentra. Don't get me wrong I love the peppy little car, I guess I had just grown accustom to my Honda. It's hard to give 'em up when they've given that many years of dependable service.

Also the mileage seems a bit low only about 29 mpg average (350 mi's on the Odometer). I expected a little better, I was getting 30 all the time with my old Accord.

Just looking for feedback.. hope to get 10 years of good service out of this Sentra.. based on the postings I've read this probably won't be a problem...
  • pathy04pathy04 Posts: 27
    I have a 03 sentra GXE about 10 months old,
    how can i add ABS brakes.

do i need to take it to the dealership or is it something that can be done at any place?

-Thanks
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Seems like Nissan dealers are afraid of ABS, alomst every car ordered doesn't have it!

I went to a few Mazda dealers and they have a good selection of 6's and 3's with an ABS package.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    ABS can't be added to a car that never had it.
  • pathy04pathy04 Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info. I had an accident(not much damage), but happened due to break Jam, the roads are too bad here in TN

Are there any fine-tuning that can be done for the braking, like a better brake pad from after market etc..