Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited February 2013
    The cop who wrote that ticket should have been canned, losing his pension at the same time. The culture when people blindly respected a badge wasn't always better than today - pull a stunt like that enough times now, and one might not make it home.

Back when there was a middle class, almost no diesel cars or even trucks, etc, times have changed indeed :shades:
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a diesel lover for you:

A Mercedes With Tenure (NY Times)
  • Options
    The classic cars site beat you to that by a couple days :shades:

Now there's a typical old school diesel owner, everything done by calculated logic, even the color. Also, MBs old school clientele.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    No reason to get rid of a vehicle that runs good and gets that kind of mileage. Proving you can have luxury and economy in the same vehicle. Glad she pointed this out to those that believe otherwise.

“Diesel was hard to find in those days,” she said of driving in the late 1970s. “We’d carry an extra couple of gallons in a gas can in the trunk. Today, it’s everywhere.”
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/chicago/2013/2014-chevrolet-cruze-clean-turbo-- diesel-starts-at-25695.html

Ouch, nearly $2 grand more than a Jetta TDI?

It does have leather, and 17" rims, but that price will make it a tough sell.

They're saying 42mpg highway, which is no better than the Eco model.

What gives?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The classic cars site beat you to that by a couple days

I don't read the Times much (or the classics boards for that matter).

On old Boise friend of mine recently died and he drove an old MB similar to that one back in the day. He finally sold it in '97 or so and got an Outback; the MB was just too slow. But he had no trouble finding a buyer for it.
  • Options
    Here is an SUV worth waiting for.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
    When: Early 2013

Chrysler wants more diesels among its larger vehicles. Likewise, Jeep fans—who want both the torque and the long range of a diesel—have been pleading for more diesel choices since the last Grand Cherokee CRD went away. The likely engine candidate is a V-6 that parent company Fiat already uses in Europe, good for 406 lb ft of torque and about 28 mpg when converted for U.S. EPA metrics.

One advantage of using this relatively small, 3.0-liter engine is that it would work in the new Ram 1500, and spy photos have shown testing of a Ram diesel. Since Ford is doing so well with its EcoBoost F-150, it's easy to see the appeal for Chrysler, which could fight back with the only nonheavy-duty diesel in the class and potentially become the mileage king of the category.

Read more: 8 SUVs Worth Waiting For - Popular Mechanics

The other 7 not a chance for my dollars. Watched a u-tube video at Moab Utah. The big shot from Jeep said diesel was highly requested for the Wrangler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAL-PbKju0Q
  • Options
    They have a cult, nice ones will bring several grand. Those cars helped solidify some negative assumptions about diesel - noise, smoke, slowness. If that car was an automatic, it wouldn't really be safe for modern suburban traffic, no acceleration. But, they have a charm to them, very simple and robust.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2013
    Indeed. I say good for her !! Even as it is 37 years old, @ 250,000 miles the car is a literal "puppy "(6,800 miles per year).

If we were able to put all the diesel miles on the 2003 Jetta TDI, that we have across 3 diesels, it would sit @ app 250,000 + miles. After all, 50 mpg is better than 40 mpg and 30 mpg. ;)

But we are liking the newer diesels also !
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Cruze eco that gets 42 mpg has a manual transmission that is actually geared for good mpg. The automatic only gets 39 on the highway. The diesel only comes in automatic, so it gets a 3 mpg improvement.

I agree that it should probably be more than that even.
  • Options
    Maybe it's geared for good acceleration?

Let's see how the reviews are. If they've priced it, won't be long before we see those.
  • Options
  • Options
    Why Ford doesn't bring diesels to SUV'S.

Sort of second hand info, but an interesting post nonetheless.
  • Options
    Interesting theory.

All you need, though, is for one manufacturer to rebel and do it, and get that competitive advantage. Then the rest would have to join in.
  • Options
    Follow-up, related to that:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/07/hyundai-los-angeles-times-and-consumer-report- s-in/

Interestingly, Mazda, Subaru, and VW are the only 3 brands where CR's result seems to exceed the EPA's.

That lines up with what we've seen from fuelly on the Mazda3 and Golf TDI, but it appears to apply to the brands and Subaru as well.
  • Options
    ..."Interesting theory.

All you need, though, is for one manufacturer to rebel and do it, and get that competitive advantage. Then the rest would have to join in."...

To name just one example, VW has been doing the TDI gig for INXS of a decade (actually decades) . Decades later, GM "rebels" with a Cruze TDI ?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    They don't even offer the diesel with a manual? Ridiculous.

Saves me the trouble of even looking, I suppose! Couple that with the FE estimates and the price premium (for both the car and its fuel source) and I'm not sure why anyone would even consider it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I meant in the context of pickups....very, very different segment.

Work trucks need torque. They're driven tons of miles and could lower operating costs, be more durable, etc.

I think the Big 3 are afraid. If you sell a light duty pickup diesel they may no longer sell as many HD pickups, and that could eat in to profits ($8 to $10k per truck by some estimates).
  • Options
    And still no hatch or wagon, looks like sedan only.

Lost me, too.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ..."I meant in the context of pickups....very, very different segment. "...

I think you should could have said that and made the differentiation up front. Magic mind reading and unicorns are not my thing. I think you have read more than once/ heard me say that a diesel light (light) truck is an absolute no brainer and for many reasons.

To state the obvious, obviously: once it was obvious that you said what you meant, but didn't say before. To state the other obvious thing, most American light trucks have been, are and will remain GASSERS.

I think that applies to diesel passenger vehicles in general. The back drop of course is even as the powers that be press for less RUG/PUG fuel use, they are hurting BIG time from the lack of revenue, they themselves advocate fiercely, albeit indirectly. Keep in mind that RUG/PUG/ D2 prices are at historical highs which punishes the middle class, as an "EVERYMAN" tax. that our current 2nd term Potus has so vociferously claims to defend while he deftly oppresses them with an "everyman" tax.. Indeed the hybrids and plug in electrical will have to go up a minimum of 4 x's greater that the already higher price per mile driven, and acquisition cost, it costs now to not even break even. CA tiered KWH is already @ $.29 per. While it is more costly per mile driven than RUG/PUG it is not near enough !!! The Volt is essentially a 12 to 15k gasser that in the plug in electric/hybrid forms costs 40,000. The other catch 22 is most sane folks will not buy one until prices and operating costs go ... down. Be careful what you wish for. :sick: ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ...'They don't even offer the diesel with a manual? Ridiculous. "...

Upshot: The current TDI's with the current 6 speed manual transmission is probably( even after a 100 years) (one of) the best transmission( TDI engine) combinations.

Actually this (above quote) is VERY logical to (a minority of ) folks, involved with TDI's, albeit those who have chosen 5/6 speed M/T's in a TDI. It is obvious that there are oems that offer TDI's only in A/T. So if 257.5 M are in the passenger vehicle fleet and 5% are diesels (12.875 M) AND of that minority 20% ARE 5/6 speed M/T's then we are referring to LESS THAN 2.575 M TDI owners with 5/6 speeds.

It (the quoted sentiment) might NOT be so logical to gasser owners with A/T's, which happen to be the majority of passenger car owners. The gasser engines are @ 95% +. The A/T transmissions are @ 80% +. My swag of TDI'ers that opt for M/T's ( 1.55 M) are a minority within a further minority @ app 20% of the three percent (7.725 M) of passenger car diesels. ( 257,5 M ) IF over all M/T statistics are true, i.e. 20% of the over all passenger vehicle fleet (51.5 M) have M/T's,

I think the oems are in a quandary. They can not openly admit that the slush box days (of old) are numbered. However, the opaqueness has a huge number of peep holes. :sick: :lemon: :shades: . A/T development is now lumpy at best. It might not be obvious that if one invests in the wrong "horse" technology, that wronge choice can have very negative consequences. So for example, no less a consumer entity than CR has come out saying turbo charged small engine gassers are not the panacea. One broad brush issue is it puts this whole (solution effort) at mortal risk. I do not think this "pronouncement" has really sunk in at the consumer level. Certainly the oems are getting BLASTED with the consequences of this. Another (WSJ) has come out saying a lot of gasser cars don't even come close to their mpg EPA ratings, 2004 Toyota Prius being the most notable example. A little know component CVT, of that component is hardly ever mentioned, in that issue.

So for another A/T example if an oem wants to stay with a so called slush box, he/she will have to implement a wider range 8 SPEED A/T with D- Drive/ S-Sport with the shiftable 8 speed "sequential shift gate". I am sure none of the oems likes the way increased costs. The driver here of course is the progressively higher fuel (mpg) standards. ;) :sick:

So for my extremely small .02 cents, which in the over all scheme of things is probably a minority position within a minority position I would not be a buyer of a gasser, hybrid, plug in, CVT, slush box (old) CVT hybrid Tesla transmission.
  • Options
    You jumped in on a conversation I was having with someone else, that's what happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That is your issue, not mine ! Thank you very much. ;)
  • Options
    LOL at the politicizing, I am sure Daddy's Wallet and Ebenezer would have gas down to $1...get over it, they lost fair and square. I am still paying a bit less for PUG than I did in the summer of 08...and I don't feel oppressed, I choose what I drive and where I live.

The Orwellians on both sides are eventually going to move to a usage tax, per mile - just wait.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Too funny !! The ones doing the politicizing are the politico's and their spending proclivities!! I think you are saying its good not to be middle class. How elitist is that? Obummer probably thinks that also @ $435,000 per year with the perks of a Saudi King/Prince/harem. When he leaves the POTUS position, he will undoubtedly start to make the REALLY BIG bucks.

Indeed you are making the argument for me, the cost per mile driven is locked step scheduled to go UP.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There is no middle class, only a deluxe serf. Nothing funny about it. 435K/year is a 1%er, no? There was a time when that group paid far more than today. Get over it, the opposition failed to present a credible argument again. Still waiting for details on those economic plans they claimed would save us.

Cost per mile is always rising, if one includes vehicle costs, insurance, maintenance. This is nothing new. Per mile taxes - not simple rising costs - will be the new thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I see you like surfing then? Using the Roman Empire as a 1000 year work able entity, fully 1/3 of the population were "slaves". So like you agree, SOS/DD.

More on topic, again you are making the cost per mile driven going up argument for me. Of course they want to raise taxes. I already said it, way before. Again it has not, is not and will not be enough. Yes Europe is a GREAT model, given the European financial debacle !! ?? Even the Germans bristle @ bankrolling the Euro madness. :surprise:
  • Options
    I have no issue with it.
  • Options
    Per mile taxes

VA is trying to get rid of the gas tax entirely, and tax the vehicles instead.

Worse, diesel tax would remain, so a TDI would be double taxed.

Plus it removes an incentive to buy an efficient vehicle in the first place.

It's stupid on many levels. There are politicians we're talking about, so basically it's a sure thing. LOL

Here's what will happen - VA stations will be full of MD residents crossing the border to buy cheap gas. The roads will be more crowded with no revenue to show for it.

Lemme look...

Gas Buddy has gas in Fairfax, VA for $3.50, diesel is $3.89, or 11% more.

Remove 38.2 cents VA gas tax, but leave it on the diesel, and you get $3.12 vs. $3.89. 25% more expensive.
  • Options
    We're at the waning period of the Roman Empire right now, indeed.

There is never enough when it comes to raising taxes, yes.

If only we had the dedication to industry and infrastructure had by Germany...instead we get ever widening socio-economic gaps and the most insane military-industrial complex in modern history.
  • Options
    It's stupid, so it stands a good chance. The public sector has a poor track record of logical decision making. When you can't get fired and get to look forward to a very lush pension earlier than others can retire, why bother, right?

I know some in WA state are considering similar measures. The same people who mismanage road projects to begin with.
  • Options
    Plus, they're rich, and they'll be familiar with the loopholes and deadlines.

A lot of congress/senate staff live in NoVA. So let's say they do pass the bill, no gasoline tax but registration costs spike upward as of, say, July 1, 2013.

They're rich anyway, so they'll buy 3 new gas guzzling cars on June 30, to dodge the new tax, and then fuel it up for life sans taxes.

Genius.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    There are many vehicles, your Toureg being one of them, where automatic transmissions make sense. For a car like a Jetta or Cruze, though, the M/T is just a perfect combination. To introduce that car with a diesel engine but no M/T... it's like they want it to fail so they can say, "Well, we tried re-introducing diesel cars, but nobody wanted them!"

Knowing folks these days, though, I'll probably have to eat those words. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Exactly. These are the people who write the laws, they know how to dodge them. Also the people who maintain a family fleet of Suburbans and a 6000 sq ft cardboard+plywood+ brick front mcmansion while preaching to others about being efficient.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ..."There are many vehicles, your Toureg being one of them, where automatic transmissions make sense. "...

I am not sure why you seem to like the sound of one hand clapping? The choice or OPTION( of a 6 speed M/T) makes (consumer) sense. Indeed I think the MPG range on the M/T would be FAR better than even the good A/T's mpg. On the other hand with only 10,000 + in yearly sales (gasser, hybrid, diesel), I understand why the oem took the early Ford " color " option.

My take/swag is that fully 20% of (for example) the VW Touareg DIESELs would be M/T. Again only a swag, IF 25% are diesels, 20% of that would be 500/2,500 diesel units.

Having said that, my 1.5 cent opinion: the Aisin (Toyota subsidiary) 8 speed A/T with 8 speed shift gate option and D/S is one of the better TDI motor and A/T transmission combination on the markets today.
  • Options
    That will be a great metric to follow as the diesel uptake in the US increases.

Maybe diesels will save the manual transmission in the US.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ..."Exactly. These are the people who write the laws, they know how to dodge them. Also the people who maintain a family fleet of Suburbans and a 6000 sq ft cardboard+plywood+ brick front mcmansion while preaching to others about being efficient."...

Not to pick a bone with the above expressed sentiment, but once the "law/s" are written, YOU (or anyone else for that matter) also can chose or not to comply with it and in effect "reap"or not, the .... benefits. EX VP mcGORE would be a good recent example. So really it is not a DODGE (implying law breaking) but COMPLIANCE ! (- legality being obvious?) Now whether you or I think it moral/immoral, fair unfair, like/dis are way different issue/s/ discussions.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ..."That will be a great metric to follow as the diesel uptake in the US increases.

Maybe diesels will save the manual transmission in the US."...

While I know it will probably ADD, HOW it will add or even subtract from the over all US M/T passenger population (20%=51.5 M of 257.5 M vehicles) is probably unknown and probably more importantly untracked by the NHTSA.

It really remains unchanged the TDI and manual transmission has been, is and probably will remain the TDI's best transmission option.
  • Options
    Has Subaru been able to find an auto transmission for their diesel engines? I see in the UK they only offer M/T with the diesel option.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    From yesterday's Subaru press release for the upcoming Geneva auto show-

"The Subaru Boxer Diesel (Horizontally-Opposed diesel engine), teamed for the first time with the Lineartronic (CVT), is now available on the Outback.
    The Lineartronic not only offers a smooth and fuel efficient ride, it also further enhances the sporty driving of the Subaru Boxer Diesel. Adaptive control and manual shifting are among the features that deliver genuine fun-to-drive character."

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    Was about to post the same thing.

They had to beef up the CVT for the turbo Forester so now it can handle the diesel.

Doubt we will see it as it is still not clean enough for CARB.

They are also teasing a hybrid concept but gasoline/electric, and not like any current model. Maybe a C-max and Prius V competitor?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Most things that I have read about CVT's have not been very complimentary. I have to stress that I do not have any appreciable time with one to REALLY say for myself. I did NOT like the feeling of the CVT in the Prius (had a demo for 1.5 days and put 200 miles on it) . But then, even I will say that and .50 cents will buy me coffee @ Starbucks.

MB diesel owners, so called BlueTec are strangely silent about the "hybrid CVT". I don't think that even MB makes a point of calling it that, other than A/T. So I guess by default it is not an issue with the majority of MB TDI, aka BlueTec owners. Now how a hybrid CVT and CVT differ is beyond me. I do know the MB ML350 BlueTec sports 455# ft of torque.
  • Options
    If the CVT responds in the diesel as it does in the gas Subaru, I guarantee I would not like it. I would imagine it is programmed to take advantage of the lower rpm torque curve.
  • Options
    It's all in the tuning.

A diesel revs low, just take the engine to the torque peak and leave it right there. No high revs needed.

Could just be a good combo, if tuned right.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    and spoken too soon :sick:

..."the worse vehicle I have ever driven during my tenure with the brand."... (???my sic)

A bit harsh from a MB owner of 7 MB's ????

Normally I look to CNET for electronic reviews ! ? :confuse:
  • Options
    A couple things stand out about this fellows experience. He had two previous MLs. Both had issues that were common to all. I also did not know it was the ML that was built on the Grand Cherokee platform. I thought it was the other way around. So my question? Is the new 2014 GC built on the 2012 ML platform? The ML did make changes in 2012 including the engine. Are they outsourcing the Italian diesel engine Jeep will be using?

The Jeep dealers I have spoken to are clueless about the 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel coming to America. They know nothing until they are unloaded off the trucks.

If I can take his figures on mileage, I can assume I would save about $900 per year driving 7000 miles with either vehicle. His comment on the lighting package was also interesting. I think that might be a good option.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    "Diesel is the David Hasselhoff of automotive technologies. Germans love the powerful and fuel-efficient engines, while most Americans shake their heads and say, "Seriously?"

Diesel cars and SUVs accounted for just 1% of U.S. vehicle sales last year. That's minute, but it's also up from 0.2% in 2007, according to Edmunds.com.

Heavy-duty pickups and vans accounted for another 1.8% of U.S. sales last year. Hybrids accounted for 3% of U.S. light vehicle sales in 2012, up from 2.1% in 2011.

If mainstream vehicles like the Cruze, Grand Cherokee and Mazda 6 midsize sedan don't sell Americans on diesels, it probably can't be done."

New models try to sell America on diesels (Detroit News)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Indeed. All but one to two of the negatives are perceptual. One negative is partially mitigated by the higher resale value of the diesel models over the gasser models. I have used the 03 TDI much greater resale value with a 236 dollar premium (@ the time)

Using the current corner store pricing:

$4.19 D2 @ 31 mpg= .135 cents per mile driven
    vs
    $4.05 RUG @ 20 mpg= .2025 cents per mile driven

(a more recent 400 mile plus R/T between Acura MDX & VW Touareg TDI).

All please note diesel cost MORE per gal !!!! ???? In this real world example, D2 costs .14 cents more than PUG. (MDX requires PUG)

It is more than evident, indeed overwhelmingly obvious, most folks are just fine paying 50% more (per mile driven) for fuel.

The only thing missing from his price point of PUG @$ 4.50 is the price point of D2. Then it would be simple to run the comparison of per mile driven fuel.

The game changer of course would be if the like like gasser models got the same or BETTER fuel mileage than the diesel.
  • Options
    I think what he is saying is many folks are seeing that the German diesels are for real. They are no longer noisy or smelly. They get great mileage. The downside is MB, BMW & Audi diesels are for the more affluent pocket books. And VW has a rather dicey reliability history. So if they can get a Japanese or Domestic diesel it might just be the ticket.

They are only 1% of the total. They are 20% of VW's total. Not sure about the lux brands from Germany. I think half the A3 Audi's are TDI now. Could we eventually become 50% diesel like the EU?
  • Options
    Let's keep in mind people go to sites like that to complain. 2 unhappy customers and one of those got a replacement, so really just 1. I wouldn't read in to it too much.

One guy complains about the handling - ever heard of a test drive?
This discussion has been closed.