Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevy Venture

Comments

• creidcreid Posts: 54
    My brother in law owns his own carpet business so this remedy will solve your problem. Go to the store & purchase a product called Sudsy Ammonia. Do not purchase ammonia only Sudsy Ammonia, also purchase a spray bottle. But the sudsy in the spray bottle & also have a white bath towel that you can ruin. You will also need a Iron. Turn your Iron on at the vehicle to it's hottest setting & ensure that the steam is OFF. Spray the sudsy ammonia on the stain take the towel & place it over the stain (fold the towel in half) next press the iron over the towel directly over the stain. Do this very sparingly for about 10 to 15 seconds at a time. If you spend too long ove the stain you will pull the die from the carpet but if you do as I recommended you will magically pull the kool-aid stain from the carpet into the white towel. Keep trying the method until the stain either dissapears or is very faint. Sometimes you cannot get it all out but you can make it so faint that it can't be seen readily. If the sudsy ammonia doesn't work (which I doubt) then you can purchase a product called red out, this can be obtained at most carpet cleaning supply stores and is used in the same fashion as the sudsy ammonia. Any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,092
    Thanks for the stain removal info! I'm saving that for future reference. One question: Does the ammonia smell last long?

KarenS
    Vans host
  • creidcreid Posts: 54
    Karen the ammonia smell doesn't last long at all since most of it evaporated during the iron process the most of the smell will be when ammonia gets hot & leaves as a gas.
  • is it true that Venture Plus and ANY OLDSMOBILE doest not offer this option?

How important is this?
  • how can one find out about GM stock price?
    my local dealer was not responsive.
  • guitarzanguitarzan OhioPosts: 804
    Kinjal, are you trying to find out what an employee can buy a vehicle for? I'm sure there are topics dedicated to this in Smart Shopper. Also, what relation are you to an employee of GM? You should talk to that employee, as they are given explicit information about buying vehicles when they are hired.

Guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Couldn't find anything in Smart Shopper or elsewhere on Edmund's site.

May be I am missing a step.

My employer (not GM) has arrangement with GM that lets us buy GM vehicle at a set price of 3% over GM Stock price (also explained as price GM employee pay).

No more information is available.

I was trying to find out if anyone knew how to get more information and how doe sthat price compare to typical invoice price.
    I see. Well, not many people have access to GM's Stock price. So, I'd be inclined to pick out a car, then ask a dealer how they compare. I don't know if it applies to all makes, but I've seen some people post that the employee prices are well below invoice. When you're ready to buy, do your homework here at Edmund's, and when they throw the price your way, you'll already have an idea of how it compares to invoice.

Sorry about the topic thing. I did find a topic, but it has been dead for a while now. If it's not active, you might not find much help. Feel free to start your own topic!

Guitarzan
  • Can someone tell me which is more reliable. Either a Chevy Venture, Dodge Grand Caravan, Ford Windstar, or a Honda Odyssey. When I look on the Chevy Venture post, people have very few problems they have with there vehicles. And I agreed the Chevy Venture most reliable of all that I am interested it right now. Let me know if I am wrong.
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    Consumer reports puts out a yearly issue that shows reliability of all models. This may be somewhat skewed since it is based on the input from people that get consumer reports and fill out their form yearly to reports problems they have had with vehicles. I'm one of those people. Maybe Honda owners don't fill out the forms ;)

We have a '97 chevy venture extended version fully loaded with options. The only problems we've had are rattling windows, electric door sometimes doesn't close in the winter (closes after car warms up a little), emergency brake cable came out of channel. All have been fixed by the dealer except the door problem which is hard to reproduce so we've decided to live with it. Other than these minor problems its been a great car. Turn the key and go. It handles better than the other vans we tested at the time and would buy it again if we had to.

Good luck.
  • Hi all! ...and congratulations on your new purchases.

I just ordered a 2000 (extended) Venture Plus. This is a change for me, since, previously, I've owned a '96 Caravan SE and a '98 Grand Caravan SE. Hopefully I will be happy with my decision.... I almost bought the 2000 Grand Caravan SE.

In many areas, I prefer the Dodge. I put 90,000 miles on my '96 and 75,000 on my '98 with absolutely NO problems. The Dodge is very solid and has a bit more cargo space. And, the 2000 Dodge now includes power locks and power windows (rear quarter windows too) as well as most other common convenience items. Plus, the back seats are more comfortable. However, I am tired of the overly generic/utilitarian interior. More importantly, it is a pain to take the rear seats in and out. The 3rd seat weighs 102 lbs!!! This is a problem for me, considering that I regularly convert my van from a people mover to a utility vehicle and back again.

I would say that this was the most important factor for me. The seats in the Venture weigh, at most, 45 lbs. I also appreciate the standard remote keyless entry. One insignificant complaint that I have is with the daytime running lights! I mean, it can't get much geeky-er than that.... riding around in a minivan with your headlights on all day! But, then again, with the 25 gallon fuel tank, you can literally drive around ALL day.

I would like to hear other comparisons between these two vans. Plus, what do my fellow Venture owners think of the Charcoal Odor filter, the Multi-function Alarm Locks and Lighting (I'm not even sure what that is), and the overall comfort of this vehicle?

Good luck to all!
    James
  • a06570a06570 Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2000 Venture LT in November and it has been in for transmission repairs twice already. Has anyone else experieced transmission problems with their Venture. Apparantly, the 2000 model has an updated transmission from the 99 models.
  • I thought that the interior air filters were a great idea...until it came time to replace them.

It takes two, and they cost $30 each! These are currently available only from GM.

Mr. Goodwrench's kids must have needed braces.
  • kgun34kgun34 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Venture and haven't had a single problem with it. The transmission appears to be fine. How many miles have you put on yours. I have only put 550 on mine.
  • venmanvenman Posts: 5
    I recently replaced the filters and found that pep boys automotive supercenter stocks these for $15 each, they are made by usa filter company
  • iolan1iolan1 Posts: 4
    We are about to buy a 2000 Venture LT. Our main concern is the wipers being in a tunnel at the base of the windshield....has anyone had problems with ice or snow? Does it immobilize them? Easy to clean out and get going?
  • You might want to take a look at the Pontiac Montana topic forums. I seem to remember this topic posted there --- and yes, ice and snow were getting trapped, making the wipers unusable.
  • running lightss are a safety feature and a good one. Sometimes that second look to right or left at a intersection will reveal an oncoming car because of its running lights
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 274
    We picked up our new Venture on Friday, Jan 21, and drove straight into a winter storm which is still in progress here (Greenville, SC). Each morning I have had to scrape the windshield & free the wipers, but I didn't notice that it was any harder than on any of the household's three other cars.
  • We have a 1999 Venture van and have had trouble
    getting a noise corrected. It is noisy while hitting a series of bumps. The front strut was replaced and it was quiet for about a month. Now the noise is back. We have only 8800 miles on the van. Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem? Or would someone have a suggestion to cure this? This van has been back to two dealers a total of eight times. Thanks.
  • ferg0ferg0 Posts: 2
    I'm getting a lease on a venture 2000 LS. I know what the MSRP is and that there's $500 loyalty and $1500 rebate and to deal as close to the dealer invoice cost as possible, but how does the GM plan B work, I get it through my mother-inlaw who is retired and has no idea about it.Is it a set price that doesn't allow me to deal down the cost or is it an additional % off the dealers cost or like an additional rebate? Any idea how to figure that in?
    Thanks kkollwitz. This really helped with our decision to get the LT. With my GM discount, we are getting it for $1000 below invoice, and should have it by next week.
  • ferg0ferg0 Posts: 2
    The $1000 below invoice is that Msrp invoice or dealer invoice? and is that including the current rebates of $2000?
    dealer invoice. We have choice of $1500 rebate or 4.9% financing for 5 yrs. We are going to take the financing. Then there is the returning customer $500 rebate, which we are applying to the cost.
    Rbrown, I think you need a second opinion. Personally, I would take advantage of a free diagnosis at a suspension shop. It sounds like something else in the suspension may be bad, like a bushing, and it could continue to cause strut failures. I would tell them of the noise, and not offer your own diagnosis, and see what they come up with.

I could be wrong, of course, and they could have a bad batch of struts...

Guitarzan
  • than3than3 Posts: 5
    I am trying to get the mud guards for my '99
    Venture. I have tried to order from my dealer.
    They took my $40.00 and a week later said they
    didn't have it. Anybody have any idea where
    I can get them? I have washing the dirt off
    the side of my van.
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    Just changed my air filter at 32k miles. Very, very dirty. Even had some grease on it. Don't know where that came from. Anybody else notice this? The car has been running fine and still does, but I hope it increases gas mileage. We get around 17 mpg in city driving only. Get between 21 and 27 on the highway depending on conditions.
  • I get about the same gas mileage on my 99 Silhoutte. Had one of those quick oil change places replace my engine air filter. It took three of their technicians half an hour to get it done! Remember the good ole days when loosening a wing nut on top was all it took?

I had roughly the same experience getting a new battery installed on a 97 Silhouette. The poor mechanic just about lost his religion on that one.
  • jfe2jfe2 Posts: 1
    Thinking very hard about purchasing new Venture WB Edition as a cross-country cruising vehicle with 2 entertained kids in back. The wife says she saw an article in USA today that showed the WB edition with portable tables as an option. I suspect she may have seen something from an auto show and am wondering of this option is currently available or if anyone knows when GM will offer it.
  • n4slun4slu Posts: 3
    I am a GM employee who works where we build the Venture, Olsmobile, and Montana Vans. The GM Plan B is for employee's who buy from dealer stock 2% about factory invoice. It is a set price.