Real-World Trade-In Values

110841085108610881090

Comments

  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 643
    Thanks guys, he obviously hasn't done any homework, was having his oil changed and fell in love. He actually told them he needed to be under $700/month to do anything :'( I told him now wasn't a great time to buy anyway. He'll end up doing it and we'll hear about it for the next 7-8 years as that's what he financed his last vehicle for, a 2015 Evolution Final Edition which he tells everyone he'll never sell because it's worth too much...
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,821
    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLMember Posts: 5,880
    Does seem a bit...outrageous but with the chip problem and all, prices of new and used vehicles have gone crazy. At work today, their was only one black Camry LE sitting in the new vehicle lot, just one! There were a couple yesterday plus a few Rav4's and a CV-R but those are all gone now, either leased or sold since yesterday. Hell, our last customer we took home Saturday evening came to purchase a new vehicle but they had none right now in her price range. They told her it might take a couple of weeks to get in one she could afford. I've never remembered a time when this kind of situation has ever happened since I was alive.
    Did pass the BMW/Mini store a few miles down and they seemed to have plenty of vehicles to sell. But at a much higher price point I'm guessing.
    In time though, things should be getting back to normal and so glad I'm not in the market right now for a different vehicle. As usual, timing in life is always a factor!!

    2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    Out of curiosity, I just checked the online inventory for the nearest Toyota dealer. Looks like he has 17 Camry's "in stock" and another 14 "available". No idea what "available" means.

    And I'm definitely not guaranteeing the accuracy of any dealer's "online inventory".

    The closest Honda dealer shows 38 Accords. No idea if they are actually sitting there on the ground, but they all show a VIN number and a stock number.

    The Ford dealer shows 23 F150's. But only 4 of them are "in stock". The rest are "dealer ordered" or "in transit" or blank. He also has 8 Explorers in stock. The last time I was there truck shopping (2018), he probably had at least 150 new F150s on the ground.
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,567
    available either means allocated and in transit someplace, or at another location that they have access to, usually.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,833
    edited June 2
    Time flies -- this one goes back to February of last year. My daughter's Crosstrek is finally here, and "her" car will now go on Craigs... but for how much?
    Still looks and drives great, miles are 104k:
    steine13 said:

    [..]
    2012 FORD FUSION SEL
    V6 FWD 93k, light blue over tan leather.
    Clean, maintained & no accidents per carfax
    No roof, automatic (she'll complain), alloys, OK tires.

    History shows a one-year rental stint in Maryland, then one owner in Michigan until last week.
    Asking $5,250. What's it worth in the real world?
    Thanks in advance -mathias

    qbrozen said:


    That is cheap if its clean. Would be $7k fair retail.

    This is the car where I'll be the 3rd and 5th owner come Friday ;)
    The second owner maintained it by the book, brake fluid flushes, transmission service, Michelins.
    My kind of car.. except for the transmission.
    I'm still hoping for a VIN and a build date on the Impreza I ordered in early April.

    In this crazy market, what's the Fusion worth?

    Thanks in advance -mathias
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506
    steine13 said:

    Time flies -- this one goes back to February of last year. My daughter's Crosstrek is finally here, and "her" car will now go on Craigs... but for how much?
    Still looks and drives great, miles are 104k:

    steine13 said:

    [..]
    2012 FORD FUSION SEL
    V6 FWD 93k, light blue over tan leather.
    Clean, maintained & no accidents per carfax
    No roof, automatic (she'll complain), alloys, OK tires.

    History shows a one-year rental stint in Maryland, then one owner in Michigan until last week.
    Asking $5,250. What's it worth in the real world?
    Thanks in advance -mathias

    qbrozen said:


    That is cheap if its clean. Would be $7k fair retail.

    This is the car where I'll be the 3rd and 5th owner come Friday ;)
    The second owner maintained it by the book, brake fluid flushes, transmission service, Michelins.
    My kind of car.. except for the transmission.
    I'm still hoping for a VIN and a build date on the Impreza I ordered in early April.

    In this crazy market, what's the Fusion worth?

    Thanks in advance -mathias
    should see what dealers would give. No real comps but looks to me like $7k is still a decent number.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 643
    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 190,252
    dad23 said:

    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
    Yikes.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,567
    There is a reason some people always seem to have financial problems, even if they make good money!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506
    dad23 said:

    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
    holy hell

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 643
    qbrozen said:

    dad23 said:

    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
    holy hell
    $4k extended warranty too, I'm picturing the dealership closing for the day to celebrate!!!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 190,252
    dad23 said:

    qbrozen said:

    dad23 said:

    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
    holy hell
    $4k extended warranty too, I'm picturing the dealership closing for the day to celebrate!!!
    Dinner at Elway’s Steakhouse tonight!

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZMember Posts: 5,108
    dad23 said:

    Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...

    P.T. Barnum died a rich man.

    This is part of why.

    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    In more normal times, when (almost) no one paid MSRP, the explanation for the high MSRP prices was that some people did walk in and pay the MSRP. Not many, but some, and they didn’t want to miss out on those few customers who had more money than sense.

    Those people are few and far between, in my experience. What’s much more common are people who go by the monthly payment. They pay almost no attention to the cost, or the interest rate, or what they’re getting for their trade in.
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,567
    The other reason to inflate the sticker (like on clothes and appliances) is so you can advertise big discounts.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,948
    edited June 8
    dad23 said:

    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
    Sorry, but he falls under the category of "Too stupid to breathe."

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 643

    dad23 said:

    woodyww said:

    dad23 said:

    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

    Good grief. What did a 2014 LC cost new? $60K-ish? AND (in your later post) he's going to pay $700 a month for this thing (w/124K miles)? This is one of the most unfortunate car buying stories I've heard of....

    Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so...
    Sorry, but he falls under the category of "Too stupid to breathe."
    I almost feel bad for him. He paid sticker for his EVO, whatever the last year they made them was, because "that's what they were going for." He says he could easily ask $60-$70k for it but says he'll never get rid of it. I give him three months before one of the vehicles is gone, he's already complained about filling up the Land Cruiser!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506
    edited June 9

    @dad23 said:
    I almost feel bad for him. He paid sticker for his EVO, whatever the last year they made them was, because "that's what they were going for." He says he could easily ask $60-$70k for it but says he'll never get rid of it. I give him three months before one of the vehicles is gone, he's already complained about filling up the Land Cruiser!

    I’m sorry… what EVO is this? We’re talking the mitsu EVO, right? I just took a quick browse and the most expensive one to cross the block in recent months was a 2014 MR in outstanding condition with 40k miles. Sold for $31.5k.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 643
    Correct, you'd think it was made of gold the way he talks about it. Says he's seem them listed as high as $100k. I told him I could list our Pilot for $100k, doesn't mean I'll get it. He didn't laugh...
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,833
    I knew a guy, quite useful in many ways, who was so convinced he could do better investing on his own that he turned down the DOUBLE match on the university's 403(b). Meaning he could have put his 5 percent in, collected ten extra, and then complained about our pedestrian investment choices. He went on his own instead. Never heard if he instantly tripled his money going that route..
    This was during the late-90s tech boom, though. One can understand ;)
    What I'm trying to say is, a lot of folks are delusional in weird ways. They're not stupid, but there is something in their personality that makes them act in stupid ways. The difference is, of course, mostly academic at that point.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 194,647
    Or, just bad at math

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • corvettecorvette United StatesMember Posts: 8,586
    I would love a double match on my retirement contributions. We got downgraded from a maximum match of 4% to 3% when our company got bought out, however, they made some salary adjustments which more than made up for it, at least for me.
  • cyniccynic Member Posts: 70
    Hi Q, can you please let me know what we can expect as a trade in value for 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD ?Grey/Grey, 141K, one owner in MN, some parking nicks, but otherwise in a good shape. Also, it has EX wheels if that makes a difference. I am planning on getting a quote from Carvana/Carmax etc, but would like to know what to expect. Thank you in advance!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506
    cynic said:

    Hi Q, can you please let me know what we can expect as a trade in value for 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD ?Grey/Grey, 141K, one owner in MN, some parking nicks, but otherwise in a good shape. Also, it has EX wheels if that makes a difference. I am planning on getting a quote from Carvana/Carmax etc, but would like to know what to expect. Thank you in advance!

    Hell of a time to unload a hooptie. Good god. Would you believe $9k (assuming no accident history)? That's crazy.

    In any case, consider selling privately for $12k.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • cyniccynic Member Posts: 70
    Thank you Sir!
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,821


    "Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so..".

    What do you say to this guy when he spews his awful car buying decisions all over you? I'm guessing not much, & what good would it do?--I doubt he'd listen. Is he young-ish? The $4K ext. warranty is the topper, for me.

    My last questionable car buying decision was to buy a used '98 Range Rover around year 2000 (for cash). But it only had 36K miles, & 18 months of warranty left. BEAUTIFUL luxury vehicle; Oxford Blue with "light stone leather" interior. I bailed when it had only 6 months of warranty left, & ate around $10K for the year of ownership. In retrospect, I don't regret it, but it made me way more frugal with my car-buying $$.....

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    qbrozen said:

    cynic said:

    Hi Q, can you please let me know what we can expect as a trade in value for 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD ?Grey/Grey, 141K, one owner in MN, some parking nicks, but otherwise in a good shape. Also, it has EX wheels if that makes a difference. I am planning on getting a quote from Carvana/Carmax etc, but would like to know what to expect. Thank you in advance!

    Hell of a time to unload a hooptie. Good god. Would you believe $9k (assuming no accident history)? That's crazy.

    In any case, consider selling privately for $12k.
    Is that even valid anymore, suggesting they "sell privately"? From what I have been able to ascertain, the online car buyers (Carvana, Vroom, Carmax) are paying more than individuals are willing to pay. Which leads you to wonder what Carvana is going to do with all of those overpriced cars.

    On the other hand, my 2016 Town & Country is listed on Carvana for $20,990 (insane) and they show it as purchase pending. I wouldn't have the nerve to look someone in the face and ask for that price.

    Which leads me to ask, "What is valid reasonable behavior in the midst of insanity?"

    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,567
    That’s why carmax bought my daughters Jetta and not me. More than I would have paid as retail!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    stickguy said:

    That’s why carmax bought my daughters Jetta and not me. More than I would have paid as retail!

    Have you checked to see what they're asking for the Jetta? I did bother to look at my T&C, and qbrozen did for his Camaro. Curiousity, don't you know. Insanity can be fascinating.
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,567
    I never found it. Must have sold quickly.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    stickguy said:

    I never found it. Must have sold quickly.

    It took Carvana about 3 weeks to get my T&C listed, but it did eventually show up. I mentioned at the time that I dropped off the T&C rather than wait for them to pick it up. They had taken over a closed down new car dealership on the north side of town. Not open to the public, not selling cars there, just handling the influx. And there were hundreds and hundreds of cars there. Many more than what the dealership had ever had on hand. Stacked up everywhere, blocking the aisles, a real load of used cars.

    You might want to keep looking for the Jetta, it may show up.
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 4,525
    It is beyond crazy that some used cars are being listed at new car prices.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,567
    Nope. Not there. I actually think it just sold immediately. We had the title so no waiting for that to arrive after they paid it off. So entirely possible they ran it through the shop and detail quick, and had it on the lot in a couple of days. I forgot to check for a week to 10 days I think.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 643
    woodyww said:

    "Oh it gets worse, he bought it over the weekend, said they wouldn't budge on price. While he was negotiating, another salesperson came in and said he had someone also interested in the vehicle. I asked if he fell for that, and said fell for what? Also mentioned it's a 7 year loan, and come to find out when he said he paid off his EVO, he took out 401k money to do so..".

    What do you say to this guy when he spews his awful car buying decisions all over you? I'm guessing not much, & what good would it do?--I doubt he'd listen. Is he young-ish? The $4K ext. warranty is the topper, for me.

    My last questionable car buying decision was to buy a used '98 Range Rover around year 2000 (for cash). But it only had 36K miles, & 18 months of warranty left. BEAUTIFUL luxury vehicle; Oxford Blue with "light stone leather" interior. I bailed when it had only 6 months of warranty left, & ate around $10K for the year of ownership. In retrospect, I don't regret it, but it made me way more frugal with my car-buying $$.....



    Several of us have told him he was making a mistake. He has complained about $ since he started five years ago. He's single, mid-50s, which I think is why he bought the EVO although it hasn't gotten him anywhere. He's still paying for student loans, moved from Denver to the western plains because it was cheaper, thinks his student loans will be forgiven if he stays with the company for 10 years. He said he did his research, although I showed him what was provided here, no names of course! He tries to convince everyone that he knows what he's talking about but we all know otherwise. I even told him once, you're not gonna convince me, I think you're trying to reassure yourself with this bad decision. We talked vacations in a team meeting yesterday, he said he's taking the week of the 4th off but not going anywhere, can't afford it! So we all just shake our heads, I think he was hoping we'd all agree.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506
    henryn said:

    qbrozen said:

    cynic said:

    Hi Q, can you please let me know what we can expect as a trade in value for 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD ?Grey/Grey, 141K, one owner in MN, some parking nicks, but otherwise in a good shape. Also, it has EX wheels if that makes a difference. I am planning on getting a quote from Carvana/Carmax etc, but would like to know what to expect. Thank you in advance!

    Hell of a time to unload a hooptie. Good god. Would you believe $9k (assuming no accident history)? That's crazy.

    In any case, consider selling privately for $12k.
    Is that even valid anymore, suggesting they "sell privately"? From what I have been able to ascertain, the online car buyers (Carvana, Vroom, Carmax) are paying more than individuals are willing to pay. Which leads you to wonder what Carvana is going to do with all of those overpriced cars.

    On the other hand, my 2016 Town & Country is listed on Carvana for $20,990 (insane) and they show it as purchase pending. I wouldn't have the nerve to look someone in the face and ask for that price.

    Which leads me to ask, "What is valid reasonable behavior in the midst of insanity?"

    No idea. But doubtful they want something with such high miles, so I don't think they'll overpay for it like their retail merchandise.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,948

    When I bought my mom’s house I borrowed enough on the mortgage to buy an E24 M6. I sold it for $500 less than what I paid for it three years later. Questionable? Yes- I never should have sold it.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    My 2016 Chrysler Town and Country is still listed on Carvana, with “purchase pending”.

    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1823808

    And I’m curious how that dealer made out with my truck. @qbrozen, if it isn’t too much trouble, could you check the auction listings and see if you can find that for me?

    2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, white gold, just under 9k miles, VIN 1FTEW1CP5JKC43635

    This is in Houston, Texas.

    I sold that to the dealer on 4/22/2021 for $37.5k, and he told me he planned to flip it at the auction “next week”. When I asked what he expected to get at auction, he said about $39k. Don’t get me wrong, he was a nice polite young man, and I hope he made a good profit. But I am curious!

    By the way, how are you doing with those “slipped ribs”? That sounded really uncomfortable when I looked it up and read about it.
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506

    Your truck got a pretty poor condition report. The trucks above and below it got near $40k but that one, given the rating, only got $36.5k.

    It is feeling much better. No more popping and the pain is down to that of a faded but deep bruise. Thank you for asking.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,088
    qbrozen said:

    Your truck got a pretty poor condition report. The trucks above and below it got near $40k but that one, given the rating, only got $36.5k.

    It is feeling much better. No more popping and the pain is down to that of a faded but deep bruise. Thank you for asking.

    Ouch. Keep taking it easy; sounds like it may be only one quick twist away from recurrence at this stage of healing. :(

    I wonder if the truck received a "poor condition" report due to the stolen panels?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    qbrozen said:

    Your truck got a pretty poor condition report. The trucks above and below it got near $40k but that one, given the rating, only got $36.5k.

    It is feeling much better. No more popping and the pain is down to that of a faded but deep bruise. Thank you for asking.

    I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

    I feel for that dealer who bought my truck, losing a quick thousand dollars has to hurt. I feel sure he'll make it up somewhere else, but that still has to hurt.

    I absolutely cannot understand the "poor" condition report. The only flaw or blemish on that truck was the marring of the cloth cover on the center console / arm rest. The exterior was perfect, there was no curb rash on the wheels. And the interior was 100% perfect with the exception of the center console.

    Oh, wait a minute.... The truck had weathertech floor liners, front and rear, in very good condition. What if they (the dealer I sold to) took out the floor liners, and there was no cover on the floors at all? (The original floor mats were long gone.)

    Likewise, there was a good heavy duty rubber bed mat in the bed. If that were taken, then there would be some scratches showing on the bottom of the bed. No dings or dents, but scratches from sliding in and out lumber. Would those kinds of things result in a "poor condition report"?

    And one other thing -- the head restraint for that center chunk of the front seat would have been missing. I always take that out when I buy a new truck, it gets in the way if you always keep that center chunk folded down for an arm rest. I didn't think about that until I ran across that head restraint the other day in my storage building. I actually found 3 of 'em, from my last 3 new trucks, and the original floor mats for all 3 trucks. Anyone need OEM floor mats or head restraints for an F150? :)
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506
    edited June 18

    Those sound like little things. It very well could be the paint meter showing those replaced panels. That sounds more likely the culprit.

    Was it just the hood? I forget.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,261
    edited June 18
    qbrozen said:

    Those sound like little things. It very well could be the paint meter showing those replaced panels. That sounds more likely the culprit.

    Was it just the hood? I forget.

    No, different truck. The hood and left front quarter panel (basically the headlight and running lights) were stolen off of my 2015 F150. This new one, the 2018, had never been in the shop (except QuickLane for oil changes). Which makes me wonder if the truck got torn up or somehow damaged before the dealer got it to the auction? Anything's possible, and it doesn't really matter, the check cleared. B)


    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506

    Oh. Huh.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,088
    qbrozen said:

    Oh. Huh.

    LOL My thoughts exactly. Sorry, @henryn , I'm clearly not keeping up with the passage of time and trucks! :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jpp75jpp75 DenverMember Posts: 1,477
    Hey @qbrozen

    Any chance you can see what this is worth? Drove it today, it's overpriced as is everything these days, but if they want to overpay for my Model3 I wouldn't mind getting back into an SUV until Rivian gets their act together.

    https://www.rmeurosport.com/inventory/2017-volkswagen-touareg-v6-wolfsburg/406969

    WVGRF7BP1HD001361
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,506

    $29k is auction estimate. May want to get an inspection because the report states 1 panel has a substandard repair. I’m going to try to paste pics of the report here.




    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • jpp75jpp75 DenverMember Posts: 1,477
    Thanks @qbrozen ! That definitely makes it a no go, I appreciate you sharing that info since the Carfax is "clean" but as I told @Michaell and @breld yesterday, it's just not a $33k vehicle for me. At $24 or $25k it would be an easy decision but that's not the world we live in right now.

    Thanks again for the info.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,088
    jpp75 said:

    Thanks @qbrozen ! That definitely makes it a no go, I appreciate you sharing that info since the Carfax is "clean" but as I told @Michaell and @breld yesterday, it's just not a $33k vehicle for me. At $24 or $25k it would be an easy decision but that's not the world we live in right now.

    Thanks again for the info.

    And it's also *gasp* a gasoline engine! Ew. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jpp75jpp75 DenverMember Posts: 1,477
    xwesx said:

    jpp75 said:

    Thanks @qbrozen ! That definitely makes it a no go, I appreciate you sharing that info since the Carfax is "clean" but as I told @Michaell and @breld yesterday, it's just not a $33k vehicle for me. At $24 or $25k it would be an easy decision but that's not the world we live in right now.

    Thanks again for the info.

    And it's also *gasp* a gasoline engine! Ew. :D
    I know....I really don't want to go back to a gas vehicle but a sedan just doesn't work for places I like to go and things I like to do.

    I really expected Rivian would have their vehicles out by now but they're behind on deliveries and not sharing much on timelines and unfortunately there's nothing else in the EV world that would really do what I want.
Sign In or Register to comment.