Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

How much EV range with the plug-in?

No mention of EV range, stand alone

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Michaell said:

doggley said:

Hello. I'm thinking about taking the purchase option on my 2014 Buick Enclave that I've been leasing. I've already paid $25950 & the purchase option is $26407 or $28751 including taxes & the $350 purchase fee. I was the original/only driver. It has 17751 miles on it and is in very good condition. Thoughts on buying vs returning?

doggley said:

It's the Leather AWD, with towing package, dual sun roofs & nav system

A few questions to help our experts ....

1. Color - inside and out?
    2. Location
    3. AWD or FWD
    4. Condition - exterior, interior, tires
    Actually, I can forego all of that in this case. It is a great buy. Even if this is a FWD model, the auction value is $25k, and your buyout is a mere $1400 over that. Needing $1k in reconditioning (which I'm sure it doesn't with under 18k miles) would still be a fair buy for you. Seems like there is no downside for you if you like it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    It's all electric range is rated at 12 miles by the EPA. The BMW PHEVs have similar ranges, but some EV blogs have reported being able to double that number. PHEVs are a great fit if your daily commute is less than 20-25 miles. You can operate on electric power almost the entire time. One of our sales advisors averages over 50 mpg in his 330e. The PHEV Bimmer that makes the most sense is the 530e, as it only costs $200 more than a gasoline 530e, there'e no reason NOT to get it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    woodyww said:
    Re: Cooper Countryman trade above - yes - ALL4 is correct. I'll claim I was tired. Major difference between a 2016 S and a 2018 Countryman S E - is the E - means it's a plug in hybrid on the new body (new body style for the Countryman started in 2017). It's a slightly bigger car. In addition the 2016 Countryman has 18k miles on it - I swear I typed it in but I don't see it in my post. Looks like right now the 21-22 range is my target (and some money off the new one as well). Thanks!
    I'm curious: You want to pay roughly double the price (of your trade-in), for basically the same car that's only 2 years newer? And yours has only 18K miles? I don't get it--paying $20K-ish for a slight upgrade; when yours is still under warranty even. But then it's not my money.....
    Haven’t seen you around in a while, Woodyww. You still have the 5-series wagon?  
  • Options
    cdb2017cdb2017 Member Posts: 11
    I already have a 530e xdrive for my daily driver. It's a very nice ride. The wife wants the Mini Cooper S E. I'm good with it. As noted above - although the range is small for my wife's use case she'll be 90% electric. It's still a lot cheaper than any AWD Tesla :)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It's all electric range is rated at 12 miles by the EPA. The BMW PHEVs have similar ranges, but some EV blogs have reported being able to double that number. PHEVs are a great fit if your daily commute is less than 20-25 miles. You can operate on electric power almost the entire time. One of our sales advisors averages over 50 mpg in his 330e. The PHEV Bimmer that makes the most sense is the 530e, as it only costs $200 more than a gasoline 530e, there'e no reason NOT to get it.

I dunno....the price/performance ratio doesn't pencil out for me personally, although in the case ofs the 530e, perhaps it would.
  • Options
    cdb2017cdb2017 Member Posts: 11
    Where the 530e wins is when you compare it to the 530i. The price difference is minimal. The electric range and power is well worth it. Add in about 4600 in Federal tax credit and it's over 4k cheaper than a comparable 530i. That's hard to pass up - when the comparison is a 530e to a 530i.
  • Options
    noctilumnoctilum Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas on my trade-in value?

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT
    92.000 miles
    Phoenix market
    White ext / Black int
    Moonroof / Pioneer sound package
    Convenience package (remote start, power seat, parking sensor)

I was rear ended awhile ago, and repaired by insurance. It is not salvage. Bumper was replaced but parking sensors do not work. Other than that great working condition. I'm just not sure how much of a hit the value takes with an accident.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    cdb2017 said:

Where the 530e wins is when you compare it to the 530i. The price difference is minimal. The electric range and power is well worth it. Add in about 4600 in Federal tax credit and it's over 4k cheaper than a comparable 530i. That's hard to pass up - when the comparison is a 530e to a 530i.

If one can actually take advantage of the full tax credit, that can certainly be a motivating factor!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    noctilum said:

I was rear ended awhile ago, and repaired by insurance. It is not salvage. Bumper was replaced but parking sensors do not work. Other than that great working condition. I'm just not sure how much of a hit the value takes with an accident.

Sadly, the Cruze depreciates like a rock. The good news is that means it probably won't make a huge difference in value with the crash history. Did the sensors stop working as a result of the crash? If insurance repaired, they should have put it back to "new," meaning you should hound (or have hounded) the body shop to get that right.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    noctilum said:

Any ideas on my trade-in value?

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT
    92.000 miles
    Phoenix market
    White ext / Black int
    Moonroof / Pioneer sound package
    Convenience package (remote start, power seat, parking sensor)

Since it isn't worth much anyway, the accident isn't doing a whole lot to the value. I figure $3k-$3250.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Since it isn't worth much anyway, the accident isn't doing a whole lot to the value. I figure $3k-$3250.

Nice timing, Q!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Aside from the very good road dynamics, I could never live with the 530 styling and then of course, there's the iDrive. But yeah, if you can get past those things, seems like the numbers work.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806

Hi roadburner, yeah, I still have it. It's ......18 years old, & has about 35K miles. I can't find a real reason to sell it; altho I'm looking at used X3's. In the meantime, I sold my POS tear-down house in a nice town near Boston, & moved to S. NH ("Seacoast region"). A lot more "relaxed" up here, & I already found a really good indie bmw shop not too far away.

Did you ever get an e39 M5?
  • Options
    woodyww said:

Hi roadburner, yeah, I still have it. It's ......18 years old, & has about 35K miles. I can't find a real reason to sell it; altho I'm looking at used X3's. In the meantime, I sold my POS tear-down house in a nice town near Boston, & moved to S. NH ("Seacoast region"). A lot more "relaxed" up here, & I already found a really good indie bmw shop not too far away.

Did you ever get an e39 M5?

I came close a couple of times, but ended up keeping the Mazdaspeed 3; I finally traded it in January of 2016 for a CPO M235i. I'd still like to have an M5 someday...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Aside from the very good road dynamics, I could never live with the 530 styling and then of course, there's the iDrive. But yeah, if you can get past those things, seems like the numbers work.

I hated iDrive when it was first introduced, but version 4.0 and up is actually very good. It's intuitive and has virtually zero lag.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    My #1 complaint with the iDrive that came with the wife's 2016 X1's tech package (bigger screen) is that the voice command recognition and actions are heinously slow compared to the Nav for Business (smaller screen). I really wish they would fix that with a software update.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    QB, this one will be an estate sale. 2002 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, I think it's fully loaded except for moonroof. Burgundy with tan leather, parking sensors, side airbags. One owner. I think I will be able to find the service and body repair records. 73,000 miles, Louisville, KY area.

On the body repairs, I don't believe there was ever anything structural. The owner got it fixed every time it got a small parking lot scrape. So it still looks very nice. Dealer performed oil change, tire rotation, and multipoint inspection in July and found nothing awry. What are your thoughts on an asking and taking price for private party sale?
  • Options

My #1 complaint with the iDrive that came with the wife's 2016 X1's tech package (bigger screen) is that the voice command recognition and actions are heinously slow compared to the Nav for Business (smaller screen). I really wish they would fix that with a software update.

I hated iDrive when it was first introduced, but version 4.0 and up is actually very good. It's intuitive and has virtually zero lag.
    They say that every update...they are like Apple, it takes them 5 versions to get to adequate.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Interesting, but coming from Android to Apple, find the latter is so much better than the former. The best part is that whenever there's an update, we all get it. With Android, it's up to the manufacturer of your particular phone when to let folks download the newest software. Both my android companies basically said f u to us little guys and never got the newest edition of the operating system. That really pissed me off so finally I just said enough, and went Apple all the way. Luckily I didn't have to pay full price for my units as I was a bit lucky in my timing. And now, no looking back!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I had an android tablet and hate it. We just do ipads and iphones now. Only downside is now that I am getting a car with carplay/android auto, and no Navi, I will be stuck with Apple Maps instead of google maps.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Interesting, but coming from Android to Apple, find the latter is so much better than the former. The best part is that whenever there's an update, we all get it. With Android, it's up to the manufacturer of your particular phone when to let folks download the newest software. Both my android companies basically said f u to us little guys and never got the newest edition of the operating system. That really pissed me off so finally I just said enough, and went Apple all the way. Luckily I didn't have to pay full price for my units as I was a bit lucky in my timing. And now, no looking back!

Apple really isn't all that much better. At some point in the product's life, they will stop allowing it to update to the latest OS, at which point all the apps will stop supporting the old OS as well, leaving you with an expensive calculator/walkman.

• Options
    corvette said:

QB, this one will be an estate sale. 2002 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, I think it's fully loaded except for moonroof. Burgundy with tan leather, parking sensors, side airbags. One owner. I think I will be able to find the service and body repair records. 73,000 miles, Louisville, KY area.

On the body repairs, I don't believe there was ever anything structural. The owner got it fixed every time it got a small parking lot scrape. So it still looks very nice. Dealer performed oil change, tire rotation, and multipoint inspection in July and found nothing awry. What are your thoughts on an asking and taking price for private party sale?

I guess you could ask $3995 and wind up taking $3500 or even $3k if it sits too long.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    qbrozen said:

Apple really isn't all that much better. At some point in the product's life, they will stop allowing it to update to the latest OS, at which point all the apps will stop supporting the old OS as well, leaving you with an expensive calculator/walkman.
    That’s a long time, though. My iPhone 5 is four years old, and we just got the first iOS update that won’t take. Guessing I keep mine a lot longer than the average person, too.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sorry I might have thrown this discussion off topic. BAD moderator! Shame! :'(

OK, back to horsetrading.
  • Options
    Sorry, shifty, but one last point.

The phone isn't even all that bad since you can get upgrades as part of your service. The killer for me is things like the ipad. We have a first gen that is really useless now except for some old games the kids play on it. 

To steer it onto cars...I wonder when that will start happening with onboard electronics. When your phone will no longer stream music or function with carplay because the OS in the car is outdated and no longer supported. So now you need a whole new car.

• Options
    I thought that the cars were getting regular updates? But mostly trying to just put through what the phone is running. But certainly something to think about. Carplay is going to have to deal with that.

• Options
    On my wife's new car, Apple Carplay was a $300 option. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

On my wife's new car, Apple Carplay was a $300 option. :o

BMW requires you to get navigation to get Carplay, so since you can access Siri already Carplay is redundant. We no longer order cars with Carplay, since it can be downloaded at the same cost by those who just have to have it...

• Options
    stickguy said:
    I thought that the cars were getting regular updates? But mostly trying to just put through what the phone is running. But certainly something to think about. Carplay is going to have to deal with that.
    My phone is issued regular updates, too. But at some point, Apple decides it will no longer allow the iphone 4, 5, 6, whatever to get iOS x.xx and that's that. 

I also wonder how such a thing could impact trade value. "Oh, see, this car here isn't compatible with iphones newer than the X or androids newer than X, so that's a $1k deduct."

• Options
    Continuing to stray off topic..

My wife and I, both with iPhone 5s, are pretty much due for new ones. For all the reasons we've been discussing. Reading the reviews for the 8 vs. 7, it sure looks like the 7 would be the better buy for us, and save us $150 each. ($550 vs. $700).

But, we are long term users. Given the four years we've kept the last phones, starting out with the latest tech gives us a better chance to extend the use of the new phone. It's a dilemma.

But, I fixed the car thing... 0%/72 month loan. She has to keep it for six years. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    spike13131spike13131 Member Posts: 32
    Well pretty much like everything it becomes obsolete and maybe unusable like a 8 track or cassette.  heck cds are one the way out
  • Options
    qbrozen said:
    QB, this one will be an estate sale. 2002 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, I think it's fully loaded except for moonroof. Burgundy with tan leather, parking sensors, side airbags. One owner. I think I will be able to find the service and body repair records. 73,000 miles, Louisville, KY area. On the body repairs, I don't believe there was ever anything structural. The owner got it fixed every time it got a small parking lot scrape. So it still looks very nice. Dealer performed oil change, tire rotation, and multipoint inspection in July and found nothing awry. What are your thoughts on an asking and taking price for private party sale?
    I guess you could ask $3995 and wind up taking $3500 or even $3k if it sits too long.
    Thanks, I appreciate the help! 
  • Options
    I don't think so--they'll just try to fire it past the new buyer; but the dealer's trade-in specialist might start looking a lot more carefully at the onboard systems to see what's working and what's not.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Apple is, in theory, committing to supporting devices for 5 years from release day. "Android" has no such commitment but Google is saying at least 3 years IIRC for their devices. Samsung, LG, and others are doing whatever they feel like (I'm unaware of any support statements).

The problem is there's no profit motive in maintaining a device but lucrative profit in obsoleting it.

Same with cars; unless there's a safety concern, how much resource will an automaker throw at updates when there's no revenue to be had? I would suggest that (free) updates be supplied at minimum during the warranty period - and that includes Nav updates. But after that?

And speaking of tablets I really, really hate the "iPad-glued-to-the-dash" look of a lot of new dash screen layouts. Totally fails the aesthetic for me. And usually come with no shield above to cut glare.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    Well, a good reason to lease I suppose!

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    qbrozen said:

Yep, great example of planned obscelence. My iPad can no longer be updated, Grrr. It still works fine but I know it will no longer work well at some point.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

qbrozen said:

Yep, great example of planned obscelence. My iPad can no longer be updated, Grrr. It still works fine but I know it will no longer work well at some point.
    Sort of... Eventually, the apps will stop receiving updates, things like the web browser will no longer be able to properly render websites, etc.; banking apps will stop functioning for security reasons. Things like downloaded games and (hopefully) book reading apps might continue to work. It looks like Apple has been gradually moving towards a five year life cycle (from date of introduction) on mobile devices and nine to ten years on laptops and desktops.

As for cars, I think things like Bluetooth calls and audio streaming and USB connectivity, if the car supports them, will likely always continue to work with newer devices. But the things like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and whatever else they come up with, is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    brought my new car home tonight. is it too early to ask for a trade in value?

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stickguy said:

Only if you've changed your name to @breld

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    corvette said:

As for cars, I think things like Bluetooth calls and audio streaming and USB connectivity, if the car supports them, will likely always continue to work with newer devices.

You can't even count on that. As new protocols are developed, the old ones are dropped. When the redesigned Honda Fit came out, it was right when the iPhone 6 was being released. There were many reports (including my own) of the BT connectivity not working correctly or consistently, and sometimes completely freezing the radio. Some reports from service advisors circled around connectivity issues with the new iPhone. I can't say what exactly is true as I gave up trying to get Honda to fix it.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Only if you've changed your name to @breld
    Hey! :D

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    @ Michaell -- hey, lay off @breld! Local schools are using him and @qbrozen as a teaching aid on "symbiotic relationships".
  • Options
    pretty sure I get the short end of that deal.

• Options
    Oh I don't know. Keeps your calculating skills sharp. :p
  • Options
    Well, after four years with any phone, I'd want a change anyways. I kept each android unit for two years and was just ready for something different. So now, got me an iPhone 6sPlus which came out in the latter part of 2015. So figure I'm good with updates until 2020 or 2021 but think I'll want something newer before that. Got mine on eBay at a very significant discount and was just lucky to win the bidding at the last moment. A brand new unit actually which is why I started to bid. Just didn't want a used one and was willing to pay a bit more for a new model.
    Still don't really get the bidding on eBay though have won twice and lost once. Seemed like with each bid I made, this other guy bid right away. I only won I think because the clock ended before his could go through. Having the funds already in my PayPal account also helped as she got paid within 5 minutes of my win and I had the phone in my hand three days later, going from North Carolina to South Florida using the post office.
    But like most folks, after a few years with a smartphone or any gadget, we want something new or newer. Cost also comes into play here as I have a certain limit as to how much I'll pay to do this. But if my 6s Plus works as good as it does in a few years, and if I still get the updates, see no reason to change.

(P.S. Finally at the point where I'm ready to let the girls get off our family plan with AT&T and get their own. T-Mobile has some great plans with unlimited everything, which is what I want. I use my gps at work and Waze urns through power like a hot knife through butter. And I don't want to limit my data usage to be honest. They both make more than I do now so think I've been a good dad up to now but...they need to pay their own cell phone bills!)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Five years works for me, by that time, boredom will set in and I'll be ready for new. Looks like that five year cycle might work for a new vehicle also though am a bit itchy now. At 35,490 right now on my Golf so the VW warranty will be over by the middle of next month. Haven't been without factory warranty since November of 2013 and kinda like it! But have that indy shop down the street, though a bit on the high side. Some neighbors have given me the names of their guys and say they are great mechanics at reasonable prices so will see. Not going to wait till 40K for the next oil change though, probably do it by 39K. Will do what the manual says with changing out certain fluids and filters, no overkill but things that make sense to keep it running optimally!

• Options
    We really need to get off the phone here, or new users will drop in and think they've landed in the wrong place.
  • Options
    I could ask for a trade in value for our Acura, but only if you promise not to tell my wife!

• Options
    yoshimotoyoshimoto Member Posts: 35
    Hi! I have a 2014 Mazda 3, automatic, Grand Touring. Mica Blue. In great condition. Has only 9,846 miles. I need to turn it in/it's at lease end. But the dealer would like to purchase it instead of having me just dispose of the lease. I'd prefer to not go through any kind of trade in process, and just lease a new Mazda (same model/similar trim)--that would be less complex. But since the dealer is insisting on a more complex trade-in process, I'd like to know how much my current car is worth, and how this should impact the price of my next car.