Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• timcartimcar Posts: 363
    Yes, Mark, opinions only. I'm the last thing from an oil expert. I prefer Mobil 1 only because I've been using it for about 25 years, have had no engine problems with any car in which I've ever used it, and am hence entirely satisfied. My nature is to use anything with which I've been pleased until I no longer am. More knowledgeable people than I have recommended Red Line oil. I've no reason to doubt them, but I've not investigated it.
  • I have had a xenon headlight problem that may be of interest:

After going through our usual commercial car wash, a few days ago, my wife noticed a considerable amount of water on the inner lens of the right side headlight (2002 A6). The dealer looked at it and determined that the upper seal had broken, and ordered a replacement. I found it slightly humorous that they needed to take a photograph, for Audi, in order to justify obtaining a replacement. Evidently, the cost is considerable. The service manager stressed that there should be no condensation on the inner lens, much less the larger collection of water we had.

I resolved one other xenon issue: I inquired, while at the dealership, if the xenon's had a more abrupt cut off, on the driver's side, than the stock units. The answer was "yes". If you are not familiar with the term "cut off", it refers to an intentional design feature wherein the low beams do not rise above a predetermined level beyond a set distance. This prevents blinding of oncoming drivers.

The xenons, as most are probably aware, have a self leveling feature. However, there are manual adjustments possible. I will have the A6's left headlight set a bit higher, hopefully not high enough to annoy oncoming drivers. If improperly adjusted, I am sure we will get "flashed."
    My wife's '01 A4 has halogens, and has the same stair-step pattern as my xenon's. In fact, hers are lower, whereas I find the height of my xenon's just about right.
  • Mark, check out the audiworld website. Featured this week is the RS6 with a 4.2 biturbo with about 450 horses, with 18" or 19" wheels, and other goodies. It will be presented at the Frankfurt Auto Show next month. It looks great.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/rs6/
  • I'll bet $100 to anyone who wants to take the bet -- and I said any ONE to limit my possible liabiltiy -- that that car will never cross the Atlantic and make it to Audi of America.

Now, I do believe an auto transmission version of the S6 -- at perhaps 360HP (from the S8) may make it to our shores -- but probably not until the 12 cylinder A8 (in any flavor -- A8 A8L or S8) makes it to this side of the Atlantic.

It is somewhat odd, looking through the all Audi brochure -- where the quickest Audi is today a 6spd manual 2.7T A6 -- it's quicker than the S6 Avant and the S8. I'll wager, too that there could be some pretty aggressive and lux things done to the 2.7T -- I just don't understand why you can't order them from the factory. You can spend $20K more for a car that is .5 of a second less quick. I believe the 2.7T is 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and the S6 is 6.5 seconds.

My death of manual transmission prediction may be coming ture sooner than I thought. My dealer has perhaps one manual transmission A6 in stock and none on order unless they are for customers -- the one they have in stock was a special order where the customer changed his/her mind.

They had ONE allroad manual transmission -- and it was a "strippie," too.

The VW folks say no W8 VW will have anything but an auto, too.

The market will, somewhat understandably, ignore a few screaming voices in the wilderness. I have never found anyone who, when given the chance and a bit of a push, didn't prefer a manual transmission -- it is just like my friend who has never eaten a lobster, he knows they taste bad. Most folks buy automatics, not because they are better than manuals, but because they have never tried one.

Even the guy at the car wash can't drive my wife's TT up to the wash bay.

And, despite my encouragement to try, won't.

In a world capable of "mass customization," it is ironic that some choices are actually being elimitated.

But, the Audi (and frankly VW) product lineup is already pretty good and the near term future (especially for Audi) looks very tasty indeed.
  • but i think you may be right. tried to teach my girlfriend to drive my car. stalled it once, panicked and she hasn't tried since.
    come on, it ain't that hard.
    and it is more fun.
    i want to see the 2.9t s4 with a manual.
    and i'd love to see the rs6 from audiworld (and a future rs4 if there is one) in the u.s. with a manual. but it looks like the rs6 isn't even made with a manual.
    is that correct?
  • dre_jdre_j Posts: 15
    I have 3500 miles on my 02' A6 4.2 Sport/Pearl/Prem.

What is the rational for debadging your A6? I can't bring myself to do it. Do any of you know why people do it?

a) 2.8/3.0 to hide low-end Audi?
    b) 2.7T to hide bi-turbo?
    c) 4.2 to hide V8? (Flares give it away)
    d) Stealth look? (sleeper)

I'm listening.
    Dre

P.S. I still want to have a Cincinnati area meet.
  • dre_jdre_j Posts: 15
    I'm not sure you are aware of this but the Stair stepping (Cut off) of the Xenon lights are built into each light fixture. The best way to view this is pull up to your garage door and look at the individual bean reflections on the garage door.

I've had mine adjusted by the dealer to the high side of the adjustment range. I've seen the location for adjustment and have made adjustments myself after seeing where it's done. It's an easy procedure to do.
    Guess only the person doing it knows for sure, but I suspect all of your conjectures might be correct in specific instances. My sense of it is that it is because the person doing it thinks it's cool. Rather like reverse snobbery. I.e., ricers paste stickers all over their cars but A6's are so cool they don't require added identification.
  • On the Audi UK web site you can actually configure your Audi badgeless. I have had the dealer de-badge two of my Audis -- and I had it done because I thought it looked really cool.

I guess of your choices, I would say "stealthmobile" would be the spirit of the reason people do it. I haven't had one done (de-badged) for several years and I've never had my windows tinted, but when I see a silver Mercedes or Audi or BMW with tinted windows, massive 5 spoke wheels/tires and debadged, I think it looks pretty cool -- and then I think too that it looks like a pimp's car. Yea -- a pimpmobile, that's option code "pmb" on page 29 of the salesman's configuration guide isn't it? Just kidding :).

To each his (or her) own -- as my dear old mother used to say (she probably still does, since she is still alive and kicking). Sorry mom.
  • zubazuba Posts: 58
    OK guys, convince me that the reliability on a new or used (Like a 2000/2001 A6 2.7T is good. I was considering finding one, but every journal I find mentions reliability as poor, so I have focused my efforts on a BMW 528/530 or a Lexus GS 300. Let me know your thoughts!! Yes - AWD is a benefit, but not if the car is in ths shop!
    Luck of the draw, Dave. Most A6's are reliable cars. Some individual cars have had lots of problems. More have had niggly problems. Statistically, a 5 Series is likely to have fewer, and a GS a lot fewer. But the 5 Series isn't great in slippery weather. And the A6 will be GREAT to drive MOST of the time, while the Lexus will be BORING to drive ALL of the time.

P.S. Get the sport package.
  • I agree with Tim's comments completely. While watching Car and Driver television, I saw a description that underlines Tim's BORING comment. ". . .that new XYZ, from Japan, is a great appliance, it is quiet, reliable and basically asks nothing of the driver -- US drivers who have been responsible for buying literally millions and millions of Toyota's, Honda's and the like have been offered up yet another perfect example of an uninvolving, "perfect" car. This one will likely be a hit, just not with us" [sic]. This is, of course a paraphrase, but when I watched the report and listened to the narration and then read Tim's comments, I can only echo -- a car that is both perfectly reliable and perfectly BORING (like many of the most popular Japanese cars) will not get my vote. Sure, I wish that German cars (Audi's especially since I own them) were perfectly reliable -- and, truth be told, my Audis have been "mostly" bullet proof -- but not perfect.

But they are fun, great performing, confidence inspiring and safe cars.

P.S. Get the sport package -- and at least test drive the 6spd for a minimum of one hour!
  • I have a similar problem, but vice verse. The computer say I only have 1700 miles left as of I have drove 8300 miles already, in reality, I only drove 2000 miles since the oil change and I was using Mobil 1 0-W30. It never happend during the first 2 oil change using dealer's regular oil.

I started suspecting Mobil 1 now, because on AMSOil website, Mobil 1 0-W30 was rated last in some test.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,163
    Thanks for asking the question that keeps coming up in my mind.

Sometime in the next three years I'm going to be looking very hard at either an Audi 2.7T (or whatever the next iteration is) w/ manual, or an Infiniti G35 manual.

Time and again the Audi response is that Asian cars are dull as dishwater and have no "soul."

I've owned an MGB. It had lots of soul. The Miatas I owned later also had soul, but didn't break or leak oil.

You asked the key question that will help me decide whether the beautiful Audi interiors and mechanicals (Quattro) are worth the possible downside. I buy, rather than lease, and consider extended warranties crutches. The OEM warranty is (or was, at one time) meant to weed out infant mortality failures. Long-term reliability is either there . . . or not.
  • I can't give you a long-term perspective but I can tell you that I have had one year, and nearly 13,000 miles, of problem free driving with my '01 2.7T w/6-speed. I have another vehicle (SUV) for around town and only take the Audi when I know it's going to get warm - or on the occasional road trip. As much as I like merging on the highway I don't "wind it out" if the turbo temperature isn't up.

I guess there's been complaints about Audi reliability. I wouldn't dismiss them, of course, nor would I attempt to rationalize them. I do think cars need to be driven and maintained in the manner they were designed. I don't think taking the Audi to the convenience store (8 miles round trip - doesn't sound too convenient, does it?) is good for the car.

I settled on the Audi because it fits my style. I spent some serious time looking at just about everything in the class. In the end I went with Audi because I like the design, features, comfort, and performance. These are the real reasons to buy a car, in my opinion.
  • An uncharacteristic follow-up post (unrelated to the post above). markcincinnati comments in #2347 about the demise of the manual transmission. I read recently that only 8.7% of vehicles sold in the US are equipped with manual transmission. We're doing our part to maintain the tradition with four of five vehicles in the family equipped with manual transmission.

For what it's worth - I encourage you (if you have aspiring drivers) to to teach your kids to drive a car with manual transmission. And make their first cars manual. I'm convinced that if a study were done of accidents involving teenagers, and normalized for auto versus manual, there would be far fewer accidents involving cars with manual transmissions. Drivers with manuals are forced to pay more attention to driving. Another good reason - my kid's cars never got borrowed in high school or college. They were asked, of course, but nobody who asked could drive a manual.

Hope I didn't start a huge controversy (about manuals or using the A6 site).
  • I read the comments from time to time on this board about reliability and other 3rd party comments from places like Consumer's Reports. I have not spent time on a Honda, Toyota, Acura board -- perhaps people who are these brand's fans have their complaints about reliability and dealer service or whatever also.

My friends who do have some of these cars, Honda, Toyota and Acuras do grace the company parking lot -- do like their cars. The comments they make about their cars generally have nothing to do with performance, fun, safety or that generalized term "drivability." When the topic of cars comes up, the two folks who have Acura's talk about reliability and how long it has been since they last serviced the car.

The VW new beetle driver talks about how much he enjoys the car. There are 5 Audis in the company parking lot -- 4 A4's and 1 A6, presently. One of folks talks about the Audi in terms of how spoiled he has become because of the dealer and the Audi advantage. He comes in with just under 20,000 miles on the car and exclaims "they did all the work, replaced the wiper blades, even replaced the trim piece that I knocked off, loaned me a car while mine was being worked on and when I picked up the car it was washed and vacuumed." He has a mini-van which is a Chrysler product and while he appreciates the space for his wife and 2 kids and all the stuff that they need to haul around, he has lamented that it is not as well made or as reliable as his Audi. His last car before the A4 was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The other folks with their A4's also have remarked about the great service they get at the dealership in Cincinnati (Northland). But when they talk about their cars they discuss how much fun they have driving them -- "I got here early, turned off the ESP and did donuts in the parking lot while it was completely snow covered -- I got into a really cool four wheel drift." And so it goes. The 55 year old put the "factory" spoiler on his A4 1.8T quattro sport -- this is his second A4.

And so it goes. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but it is similar to the Car and Driver TV show's comments about appliances and utility and reliability. No one wants an unreliable car, and my bet is that if these Audis were unreliable that their owners would not be repeat customers no matter how fun to drive they are (or were).

The Saab owners and the one BMW owner are cases in point. Both the Saab owners and the BMW owner discusses the great pleasure they have in driving their cars, but also comment about how they "have to visit their cars at the dealers" they are in for repairs so much. Actually, no one currently owns a Saab any more -- after their experiences with Saab, one fellow went Acura and one Volvo (the AWD "station wagon"). They both like their current vehicles (as noted above the Acura owner talks about filling the tank and forgetting it -- the Saab's fun factor plus reliability factor has soured him on "fun" when it comes to autos). The Volvo owner liked his so much he bought it off lease, gave it to his daughter and bought a second one for his wife (new) -- and this is the guy who had a Saab turbo that was often out of service for problems.

I do not think most of us on this forum are making excuses or rationalizing about our decisions to buy or lease Audi's. I have had dozens of them -- and I only kept one over 100,000 miles, so I may not be the poster boy for discussing reliability. But, my Audi's hardly ever go into the dealer except when I want them to. And, the only extra pampering I give them is more frequent oil changes than the manual calls for.

But, I do not claim that any of my Audi's have been as allegedly reliable as the stories I hear and read about from time to time that concern some Lexus or Nissan or other Japanese brands.

I have high expectations and the Audis have, for me at least, been almost trouble free.

Now, let me tell you about the fellow who owns an Avalon. . .he calls it his "bic pen" car. When it runs out of ink you just throw it away and get another, or words to that effect.

To each his/her own.
  • I agree completely with kirby2010 (who isn't named Kirby I find, but Mark). Drive a manual transmission, teach yourself, your family to drive them. After you have done this much, if you still like automatics, I have not one comment, they aren't for everyone.

But so many people don't know what they're missing -- and they criticize them. I figure you can't say lobsters taste bad until you have tried one, if you get my drift.