Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    jusunijusuni Member Posts: 9
    bodle2 - You are dead right about that, since when do mudguards cost $89?
  • Options
    pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    I know it's a small thing, but why doesn't the coin holder on Canadian TLs have spaces for loonies and twonies? When was the last time you needed just quarters, dimes and nickels?
  • Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Can anyone that now owns the new 2004 TL tell me if the steering wheel audio and speed control buttons are illuminated at night? Thanks
  • Options
    dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    "Can anyone that now owns the new 2004 TL tell me if the steering wheel audio and speed control buttons are illuminated at night? Thanks"

That would be an affirmative. Although, only when the headlights are turned on. No real need for them just to come on at night for the sake of lighting the car's interior while I'm sleeping. :)
  • Options
    edelgoedelgo Member Posts: 4
    Am contemplating buying a 04 TL with Navi. I'm a bit concerned though about the HID getting stolen like the earlier TL models. Are they still being stolen in the 04 models? Are they harder to remove? Also heard that the bulbs get bad when its taken off, and this was by design to deter theft. Is that true?

Also, is the TL's Navi also a hot item that the thiefs target? How about the DvdAudio Sound system?

Appreciate all comnmments since I'm about to make the deal in a week or two...

Thanks!
  • Options
    flipper6flipper6 Member Posts: 30
    Although the theft of anything is always possible I believe the DVD/Audio cannot be used unless a code is provided to activate it. I think this is true with many other factory installed radios in other cars.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I didn't know HIDs were being stolen from earlier TLs. I know it was a problem with Maximas though.
  • Options
    jrogers345jrogers345 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me when they will stop manufacting 2004 TL's?

thanks,
  • Options
    aciampiaciampi Member Posts: 66
    Recently here in Massachusetts there has been reports on the news about xenon headlights being stolen off newer vehicles. The most popular being the Audi S4, Nissan Maxima, and unfortunitly the Acura TL.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Nissan just got sued by the state of New Jersey for the whole HID thing.

99-03 Acura TL's with HID's in Northern New Jersey and NYC had alot cases where HID lights were stolen and caused alot of damage to the front ends of the cars. The front end damage was done by theives because I guess they wanted the HID's that bad. I guess there was a heavy black market for HID's in the Metropolitan Area(Northern NJ/NYC.) Now that Honda started putting HID's on 03 Accord's I think that has slowed down(or at least hope it has)with the thefts of HID's in Northern NJ/NYC.
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I am pretty certain that the 03/04 Accords do not have HIDs, either standard or as an option.

Later...AH
  • Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Why? Why are they all buried behind something?

And there are only 2, and not accessible in the back seats.
  • Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Has anyone ever traded in a set of tires? I can't stand these OEM Bridgestones.
  • Options
    kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    In Feb of 1998, I was able to trade in the Bridgestones that came with a 98 Accord LX V6 on a set of Pirellis. All of the Accords coming in to the Honda dealer where I bought my car had Bridgestones so I knew that fact before delivery. I made a deal with a tire store - that sold many brands of tires - before car delilvery date. The tire deal was contingent on having only 100+ miles on the car odo.

In more recent years, I have heard somewhere that tire dealers will no longer do this kind of deal. Might be some kind of law against it.
  • Options
    pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    I managed to trade in the OEM Bridgestones for some Michelins for a reasonable price, but they were honouring a quote they made to me in the fall and won't take any more EL-42s. My local Acura dealer offered to replace the OEMs with tires of my choice, but not give me anything for the Bridgestones. I bought both the tires and the car elsewhere due to their generous spirit.
  • Options
    raherraher Member Posts: 99
    I removed the OEM tires right after I bought my car. I didn't bother with asking about trading them back to the dealer. I wrapped them and put them in storage and when I trade or sell the car I will put them back on.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I am pretty certain the Accord's have the blue lights.
  • Options
    I've never seen an Accord with stock blue lights. Not in this neck of the woods anyway.
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    No, the Accords do not have HID headlights.... unless a consumer swapped the standard Accord lights with aftermarket ones.

The only Honda that comes with HID lights is the S2000.

Later...AH
  • Options
    mikeykmikeyk Member Posts: 7
    Is the optional rear spoiler worth the money? better driving experience? or just better looks. I am driving an suv and this will be my first sporty car, go with the spoiler?
  • Options
    kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    ...was on my '92 Accord 5-speed.

Again, very subjective but a wing spoiler on the already amazing looking new TL is just overkill. I personally think the wing spoiler has had its day, and frankly, I was quite surprised when they offered it on the new TL. I much prefer the subtlety of the decklip spoiler.
  • Options
    If it's good enough for the M5, it's good enough for me!
  • Options
    Debating whether to also buy the chin spoiler. It kinda makes the TL look like a hockey player with a few front teeth knocked out!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not big on ground effects spoilers and add-ons. I like the "stock look" but that's just me. Besides, front chin spoilers do tend to get scraped and cracked, no matter how careful you drive (especially in winter).
  • Options
    kphkph Member Posts: 40
    I test drove a TL with the rear spoiler. I thought it made an already marginal rear visibility worse.

Being in the snow & salt belt, I tend to shy away from anything that adds aftermarket holes in the metal of the car. I passed on even the trunk lip spoiler, though the dealer assured me it was not a rust problem.
  • Options
    achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    I am getting a rear wing spoiler installed from the dealer tomorrow. Its all about personal taste..if you want the more sporty thing go with the wing...if you want the more luxurious look then the lip spoiler is for you..btw i am paying 450 installed for the spoiler..
  • Options
    brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    pmf13 - agreed. It's a small touch that would have been nice on cdn versions of the TL.
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    They are only needed on cars with "weak" rear ends, such as the Toyota Solara and the Lexus SC. (Why did they design them this way, and then add a spoiler to "fix" it?)

Adding a spoiler to car with a sharply defined rear like the TL, TSX, BMWs, etc. just looks silly and detracts from the careful design of the car.

The front is already low enough - I scrape mine all the time.
  • Options
    kphkph Member Posts: 40
    Check the following out for some good advice on spoilers

http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df200403/df20040312.jpg

:)
  • Options
    bmdbmd Member Posts: 7
    When I bought the car, the salesperson asked for my email saying that Acura will update me ... but so far I didn't receive anything. Is the email something important? If yes, then I have to make sure I get it!
  • Options
    Link below explains everything. Best to register yourself.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
  • Options
    bmdbmd Member Posts: 7
    kahunah: Thanks for the link. I can't recall what the salesman said the email is for. Now I got it! Will register & no need to chase after the salesperson. :-)
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    What about the 04 Accord, do you think it needs a spoiler?

My wife is nagging me to install one on hers.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,369
    YES... They ruined a great car with the worst rear end in the business.. It makes the 7-series rear end look good. Because of it, I'm shelling out an extra $100/mo., because my wife wouldn't lease another Accord. (and she has had three in a row). I am usually anti-spoiler, but the new Accord sedan is begging for one.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mikeykmikeyk Member Posts: 7
    i have read all over the net about the standard tires being horrible. Has acura fixed this recently or are they the same Bridegstones? Are they really that bad that they would need to be changed right when i purchase?

Its like a $500-600 price increase. Is it worth it? or wait until winter maybe?
  • Options
    dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    Mike, I just spoke with my dealer today about the tires. Acura apparently is looking into changing the tires on all TLs. It sounds like there may be some type of optional recall for those who wish to change out the tires on already purchased cars. The newly produced TLs would have the different tires. I have heard (but not from him) that these may be new & improved Bridgestones. He is going to let me know if anything transpires.
  • Options
    Hi!

The new Accord is an anomaly. The rear is odd, but to me it looks OK, because of the hard line running around it. If it was more rounded, it would be very weak. I don't think I have yet seen a single 04 Accord with a spoiler. Give it some time - the Accord is a wonderful car.
  • Options
    2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    The new Accord NEEDS a spoiler. I bought my 03 TL Type S just because the Accord was so strange looking. And yes, I got the OEM spoiler. It slows the car down (drag and all), cost extra $, makes the car harder to wash, the trunk harder to open, and does absolutely nothing for performance - and I love it. Maybe it is a bit boy racer, but that's why I got the TL instead of a Lexus ES in the first place. As for the new TL, I would go with the true trunk spolier. What is the point of a deck spoiler anyway? Remember those rubber ones on '80s BMWs? Yikes.
  • Options
    jsntexasjsntexas Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 04 and don't like the tires. How can I determine if these are the new fixed Bridgestones or the original ones with the problems.
    Thx.
  • Options
    The originals are Bridgestone Turanza EL42.

Mine are fine - I see no problem with them. Why don't you like them?

If you do change - high-rated replacments are:
    Falken Ziex 512 (high rated and low cost)
    Goodyear Eagle F1 (top rated by Consumers)
    Continental ContiSportContact 2
    Pirrelli PZero Nero
  • Options
    jsntexasjsntexas Member Posts: 2
    The biggest thing I've noticed so far is the flat spotting. In the first few miles you can feel a slight bump until the tires warm up. I just got the car so I'm sure I'm being critical but I don't remember that on other cars especially one as sweet as the TL. I was trying to find a more definitive word on what Acura was doing about the tires.
  • Options
    filfil Member Posts: 3
    With the release of DiscWelder Bronze for 100 dollars, we can now burn up to 40 hours of music on a DVD with a PC's DVD burner. These disc's will play on DVD-A players that can play DVD+-RW discs. Does the TL stereo play DVD-A's recorded in +-RW format? Wouldn't it be great to have 40 hours of music on a DVD in your TL!
  • Options
    legend91legend91 Member Posts: 14
    Acura claims that Bridgestone "reformulated" the EL42 due to these complaints and problems. Supposedly, cars shipping in the last few weeks have the new tires. This is just what 1 atlanta dealer claims. Most deny any problem or say only 1 or 2 people have complained.

Any experts know how we could tell if a car has the new tires? A lot number, serial number?

Thanks
  • Options
    legend91legend91 Member Posts: 14
    I just had an overnight test drive. Love everything, stereo awesome, Nav and voice command very cool, bluetooth worked well. Fast, great acceleration, comfortable. But....

Try this: going about 60-70 mph on highway open both rear windows. You will hear and feel a strong low frequency "pressure vibration". It felt reinforcing as if it would blow the car apart and bust my ear drums if I didn't shut the windows. I know many cars might have loud wind at those speeds and they are not designed to run at 70 with windows opened but this was disturbing.

Anyone else experience this? Any experts know if this implies anything wrong with design?

When car is hot from sitting in sun I often open rear windows to blow out hot air. In my '91 Legend I get noise but no ear busting pressure popping vibration like the '04 TL.

Please try it, let us know.

Thanks
  • Options
    pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    I think that's common if you just have the rear windows open. Try opening the front windows or moonroof...the sound should go away. I don't think this is specific to TL.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Happens on many vehicles. Does it on my Aviator with the moonroof fully open between 30 and 40 mph. If I close the moonroof a few inches it goes away.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Had the same thing on my G35. It felt like it could rupture and eardrum. All I had to do was open one of the front windows slightly to stop it.
  • Options
    chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    Most cars do that. Its a pressure thing. There is a scientific principle/term for it. Its not at all exclusive to the TL, Acura models, or sedans.
  • Options
    I had never noticed this with other cars I've had, but it is pretty loud in the TL. The resonance is like blowing across a bottle.

With the careful wind tunnel design these days, I am surprised it occurred.
  • Options
    Who would open the windows at highway speeds anyway? :)