Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

General Motors Fans

Comments

• Options
    motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    The Regal GS tested by Motor Trend mag made an 8th place showing or last place against a pack of foreign nameplates..A loaded car stickering around $38,500 really doesn't do much with the 4 banger turbo and gas mileage over the M/T course was a miserable 14.6mpgs..

Had a 1992 Regal GS which did around 95k miles in 20 mos w/o any complaints except the long stroke soft rear suspension caused the rear tires to cup/flat spot, however Goodyear replaced several sets w/o complaining..Mechanically no problem, oil changes, brakes and air filters..

Out of 53 cars owned 5 were new Buicks, 87 T-Type Electra, 94 LeSabre, and a 73 LeSabre w/ 455 V-8 with an 81 Rivera the last one. The T-Type was a farce, and the 73 w/455 was broomed after a year due to 2nd short-block engine still had rod-knock and Buick guaranteed the whole mess as long I owned the car, free engines forever..Got a 74 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with big block, followed by a 76 GP and the last full-size GP, 1977..The Pontiacs were awesome, however when they downsized I switched to Ford T-Birds and then another Buick, 81 Rivera, gone after 20k miles..

Having had mostly GM cars, 34 of them, really have no complaints, however I will not get involved in the future due to the sloppy handling of the GM takeover by the Govt..and the overpriced merchandise being offered today..
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    ATS in pictures:

http://youtu.be/ydCRPirC0hU

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pretty nice. Any guess on what the reserve is?
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Pretty nice. Any guess on what the reserve is?

Probably around $25,000. I only wish it had a floor shift like my 1967 Riv.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Cool! Hope it turns out to be a looker! I want something to replace my aging Grand Marquis.
  • Options
    Now, how about a guess on how much the frame off restoration cost?

Trying to figure out how much the guy is going to lose if he sells it for $25k. :)
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Interesting...I didn't realize GM still used the X-frame on the Riv in '66. I figured it would have gone to a perimeter frame by then? I wonder, then, if the Riv used the X-frame all the way through 1970?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty sure that the Riv got the X-frame through 1970; it wasn't used on the 1971-up boat tail Rivs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Sat in a Verano yesterday. Nice car. The trunk is huge for a car its size with an easy access opening. I commented that a Li-Ion battery pack would have room in there!

Saw what I believe is my first Verano spotting on the road coming home from work today. I'd say I wasn't keen on the silver "slanted eyebrow" trim pieces above the rear taillights. IMHO the Cruze is better looking, though I'd imagine the Verano is nicer inside.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    seen two sonics so far. hatchback LTZ and coupe LT.
    they look great to me, but certainly small and with short wheelbase, it can't have as nice highway ride @ realistic east-coast open-highway 75 mph speeds like Cruze......

i'll be watching reports of the real-world Sonic mpg compared to the Cruze, since I understand
    the sonic's drivetrain(s) are same as some of the Cruze drivetrains.

I wonder if there will be a Sonic Eco next year too.
  • Options

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Odd amalgamation of designs, but not bad. The current model needed to be replaced a few years ago.
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Nice. Profile, front end, rear end styling very good. However, do not think that the crease line starting at middle of rear door and going to taillight is needed. Looks awkward. Except for that detail, I like the car.

Hopefully, Bob Cumberford of Automobile Magazine will do his styling review on this Impala.

Now, know that it is very stylish for GM, especially Camaro, and Chrysler with 300 to do gun slit small side windows. This may not be a good idea for a large volume sedan such as Impala. I see a lot of older drivers in these cars and they especially should have as big as windows as possible for vision/safety.

Also, lots of police depts buy Impalas. But, maybe not anymore when a police only version GM sedan comes out with Chevy nameplate.
  • Options
    > the crease line starting at middle of rear door and going to taillight is needed.

The crease gives it a modern, trendy look. But my first reaction was it was too much like the Sonata's overdo of same.

The real test for both of us is to see it in the real world 3-D. And I like to see a car in white to really tell whether it's pleasing or not. But then a lot of cars look good in certain colors and look less so in other colors in the order book palette.

• Options
    I would've liked to have seen a rear treatment similar to the 2013 Malibu only with three taillamps per side.
  • Options
    The three lights would have been terrific.

The current treatment looks related to the Cruze. I suspect that's the family image Chevy wants to form. Chev has made a bold new move and that's to be applauded.

• Options
    I think the rear is attractive, but the taillights have sort of a generic look about them. I'm liking the front end a lot though. It makes me think just a bit of a '72 Impala, with its low, wide horizontal grille, and matching sub-grille under the bumper.
  • Options
    Link to a video

The more I see this car, there's less and less that I don't like as well as the best parts. For me, the touchscreen for NAV and controls is a downside.

• Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    For me, the touchscreen for NAV and controls is a downside.

I'd think that's optional. Hopefully traditional controls minus the touchscreen is available in lower trim models for those who don't want it.
  • Options
    Good video. Impala in black looks good. Seems like the sweeping highlight curve from back door to rear taillight uses a style that Mercedes started a while back. Maybe black is best color to highlight Impala styling. Would also like to see what it looks like in a lighter color such as off-white or silver.

Would agree that touchscreen for controls is not a good idea. Ideally, things that driver can control should be minimized. Also, ideally, a driver should be able to change something totally by knowing where control mechanism is and being able to just feel/put his/her hand on it WITHOUT having to look. Examples would be right stalk below steering wheel to control wipers, left stalk below steering wheel to control headlights, turn signals.
  • Options
    >being able to just feel/put his/her hand on it WITHOUT having to look.

I felt that way but was hesitant to state same. I was concerned I'd be painted as old-fashioned and out-of-touch (no pun intended) with what is popular today.

I probably would opt for a lower model just to avoid the touch screen. But I want things like dual controls for HVAC and I like premium interiors.

• Options
    > sweeping highlight curve from back door to rear taillight uses a style that Mercedes started a while back.

I like the sweeping curve. I realize now that was one thing I liked at first, but I related it to a Buick SweepSpear or something in GM's premium cars from the past.

The more I watch that video, the more I like everything about the exterior style--including the taillights.

If there were another auto show in the MidWest where I could see this car to actually touch and sit, I would go just for the experience.

I'd love to see it in white, where the styling really shows, for better or for worse.

• Options
    The reviewer talkhost likes to throw in negatives, but they seem sincerely meant.

It's in silver from what I can tell on my screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmzdL0PFQzw&feature=related

• Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited April 2012
    The reviewer talkhost likes to throw in negatives, but they seem sincerely meant.

Yeah, I didn't disagree with him, overall, it seemed like a positive review.

Honestly, the more I see the new Impala, the more I like it. The rear end styling isn't great, but IMO, it's not horrible either. I'm also a bit mixed on the interior, but it's really hard to judge from photos.

I'm somewhat surprised GM will not be offering a turbo 4 like Ford is offering in the Taurus. I don't think I'd want the base 4cyl model in a car that heavy, it will be pushing 3700+lbs. Guess it will depend on how well behaved the new 2.5 Ecotec is.

The reporter did say the LCD is optional, I think I'd skip it myself depending on how much GM charges for it.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I didn't notice that rear crease/curve before, it is very much like what is seen on a MB W212 E-class:

For the MB, it was used as a heritage based theme, drawing from the 1953+ "ponton" cars:

image (Here with chrome accent)

Interesting. I don't know if it really adds anything to the design, but it adds detail anyway, and these days, that is worth a lot.

I hope no vitals (wipers, lights) are on a touchscreen.
  • Options
    New Impala looks good also in light color.

Still not sure about that highlight curve line going from rear door to taillights. Seems like not in sync nor complimentary with straight line high up going from front to back. Mercedes does do a good job of integrating their curvy lines with overall design.

Hope that styling guy Bob Cumberford of Automobile Magazine does a review on it.

If road tests and in person exam and test drive of new Impala are good, this car will do very well against competitors.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Nice presentation in pictures of the rear wheel accent in the Benz's.

• Options
    That rear wheel accent on the Impala makes me think a bit of the '50-53 Buick. So at least I see some GM heritage in there, if not specifically Chevy.

Personally, I don't think that accent does anything to improve the car, but it doesn't detract from it either. Overall, I think it's a pretty nice car.
  • Options
    I think the accent looks better on the dark car where it's a subtle accent.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think the new Impala is nicely styled which means it should look good in most colors and over time as well. The only question is if there is much market for big cars any more. Luckily for Chevy, the Equinox and updated 13 Traverse nicely fill the crossover hole as well.
  • Options
    I was leafing through my issue of Hemmings CC. I realized it's dominated this month by GM.
    Of course it's not usually this unbalanced.

Two Cadillacs synthesized: 1937 Sixteen Custom Phaeton and 1934 Sixteen Custom Roadster.
    1932 Buick 57S
    1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme (in copper)
    1909 Buick model F
    (Cassini Matador)
    1959 Cadillac Series 62 convertible!!! Perfect renovation. Good pictures and details.
    (Crane 1907--Crane started with GM)
    GM's development of computer controls able to diagnose themselves--leadership
    (Ford Model A 1931)

• Options
    from Wards Top Ten Best Interiors--no price limit.

More eggs sunny side up for GM!!!

"Another small car that brings a new level of style to the subcompact segment is the Chevrolet Sonic, which maximizes its limited space with two gloveboxes, storage bins on either side of the center stack, a bottle holder in each front door and three cupholders between the two front seats.

"The well-equipped $18,745 Sonic proves an inexpensive car does not have to look cheap. The gear-shaped tachometer and asymmetrical cluster over the steering wheel communicates all the vital information the driver needs, and does it with flair."

• Options
    Ampera sales exceed the goals.

Detroit News:

General Motors Co.'s sales of the extended-range electric Chevrolet Volt aren't hitting expectations in the U.S. But 7,000 orders for its European twin, the Opel Ampera, have surpassed early goals.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120417/AUTO0103/204170360#ixzz1sLY15lZg

The vehicles [Volt & Ampera] have received several awards in Europe, including being selected as 2012 Car of the Year by European journalists at the Geneva International Motor Show in March.
    The automaker also sells the Volt under the Chevy brand in several European countries

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120417/AUTO0103/204170360#ixzz1sLYdWpzn

"It's the first car developed in the U.S. ever to win that award," said Kempe. "It's a big moment for Chevrolet and GM, and we're very proud."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120417/AUTO0103/204170360#ixzz1sLYSRKB5

• Options
    edited May 2012

The ELR will carry a true electric vehicle with ICE backup for range. \

"In its catalog of 2014 model year vehicles OnStar listed the Cadillac ELR. That timing seems about right considering GM’s original 2011 announcement and the fact that we’ve recently spotted prototypes for the ELR roaming the streets of Detroit. GM isn’t shedding any light on the subject, so we’ll just have to wait this one out. " --leftlanenews

More about the Converj (ELR) vehicle: http://www.hybridcars.com/vehicle/cadillac-converj.html

Insideline.com
    http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/elr/converj-hybrid-morphs-into-2014-cadillac-- elr.html

• Options
    edited May 2012
    "As demand builds around the world for compact SUVs, Chevrolet plans to take advantage of the growing market with a new model called the Trax.

The Trax reflects Chevrolet’s strategy of building a broader range of vehicles tailored according to customer preferences in specific markets. Its global lineup includes a number of models that not sold in the U.S., such as the TrailBlazer mid-sized SUV and Cruze station wagon."

Chevy Trax Compact SUV Will Debut in Paris, Skip U.S. (WSJ)
  • Options
    "General Motors Co. said Thursday Chevrolet will bring a new V-8 rear-wheel drive performance Chevrolet SS to the U.S. as a 2014 model, marking the first time in 17 years Chevy has offered a rear-wheel sedan here."

V-8 Chevrolet SS coming to U.S. as 2014 model

That means you won't have to wait until your local police shop sells a Caprice.

"It looks a little like a 2012 Chevrolet Impala but it's not. It's a full-sized Holden Statesman with a Chevy bowtie on the grille. Built in Australia by the General Motors brand, it is being imported just for this purpose. Australians still love big engines in big cars, and so do cops."

Writer tests speed skills with powerful Caprice pursuit vehicle

Both links from the Detroit News.
  • Options
    So huge gas price spike in 2014? :shades:
  • Options
    "Australians still love big engines in big cars, and so do cops."

And so do I! :shades:
  • Options
    If the SS is available with three pedals and it is actually built in Oz then I'll definitely consider it.

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    If the SS is available with three pedals and it is actually built in Oz then I'll definitely consider it.

The 'built in Oz' part is a turnoff for me. I wish it were built here.

Our local police department (city population 28K) uses the current Caprice. I have seen one on a couple occasions in the Service Department at my local Chevy dealer.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited May 2012
    imho choosing a car based on factory-location is sort of silly and bizarrely letting political correctness control ones choices. but maybe that's just me.
    whatever. i choose based on the awesomeness & quality & bang/buck of the car, and usually I prefer vehicles at the extremes of either mpg or performance.

The SS is going to be *awesome*, even if it only gets two pedals.
    AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIA WE LOVE YOU!

sincerely,

3-pedal GTO owner, ~22 mpg lifetime mpg, half on 87 octane.. the car is *insanely* overpowered and torquey either way. just the way i like it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    imho choosing a car based on factory-location is sort of silly and bizarrely letting political correctness control ones choices. but maybe that's just me.

I just refuse to give aid or comfort to the UAW. I've had a long history with them and it is simply a personal choice. It really doesn't control my choices, as with the exception of a Jeep TJ that I bought used, all my vehicles come from Hiroshima, Munich, or Zuffenhausen. And my bikes come from either Berlin or Hinckley.

Back on topic, a very nice 1972 GTO turned up on Craigslist for a good price(because the numbers don't match, which doesn't bother me). My son was interested at first but finally decided his next car should have serious HPDE potential.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    It's astonishing me, that, car for car, anyone would prefer that it be built someplace other than our own country, particularly with unemployment the way it is--time to forgive the UAW for past sins IMHO. Actually, I consider it mind-blowing. I have to believe I'm older than you though. I'll also assume you don't live near an assembly plant.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The factory in Spandau is pretty cool...last time I was in Berlin and took a pic of the Siegessaule covered in scaffolding and surrounded by a fence (on an insanely rainy day that later killed my camera), I later noticed the fence was an ad promoting local industry (a form of evil socialism, perhaps :shades: ):

When it comes to domestics, UAW or not doesn't matter to me, just as USA or not doesn't matter...first world or not is what matters in my purchases. But as I see buying new as kind of an insane waste, my habits don't matter. I'd be more likely to buy a new bike, aren't any domestic models that have any appeal to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It's astonishing me, that, car for car, anyone would prefer that it be built someplace other than our own country,

I actually misspoke; I'd gladly buy a BMW built in Greer, SC.

I have to believe I'm older than you though. I'll also assume you don't live near an assembly plant.

Well, I'm 55 and I live equidistant(@20 miles) from the two Ford assembly plants located in Louisville KY.

• Options
    But as I see buying new as kind of an insane waste, my habits don't matter.

I've only bought new cars twice since 1981- my 1995 3er and my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3- and I seriously doubt I'll ever do so again.

I'd be more likely to buy a new bike, aren't any domestic models that have any appeal to me.

Ditto, I don't hate H-D or Victory, but cruisers and baggers just aren't my thing. I love my 1996 Triumph Speed Triple, it's a fun hooligan bike and I never see myself coming and going.

• Options
    We impact the production of parts suppliers more than carmakers then :shades:

I am not into cruisers and big bikes either. I have really had the bike itch in the past month, am thinking of taking classes (haven't rode any motorized bike since I was a teen), and am being egged on by a Ninja riding co-worker. He suggested a Triumph Speed Triple to me, and I like the current style Kawasaki Z1000 too - as I am taller, I don't fit quite right on small bikes, and something like a Busa seems overdone to me. I also like the S1000RR, but it might be too much to handle, and not be the most comfortable. No domestic choices for the sportier bike shopper.
  • Options
    My comments really should have been directed to elias, since he said he hoped the new Chevy version of the G8 would still be built in Australia.

BTW, BMW isn't exactly burning up the reliability records, either.