Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Sweet! Nice options too...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Grats on the new purchase. Very nice option choices.
  • Options
    Took the sun visors off the car today, and removed those ugly yellow air bag stickers off them. They looks so much better now. :D
  • Options
    sadovskisadovski Member Posts: 2
    Finally in the market to go after a 3 series (the car that inspired me to become a mechanical engineer!) The only problem is that my wife is hell bent on not buying new cars :cry: because of the depreciation loss, particularly in the first year of ownership.

We're both buy (vs. lease) people, and I would prefer to own a car for 6-7 years.

I've noticed that CPOs are 80-90% of the cost of new cars! Is it worth it?

Can anyone give me some good data or experiences (especially regarding maintenance, cost differences, anything) that would be helpful in proving new vs. cpo either way?

Thanks all
  • Options
    kdogkdog Member Posts: 23
    My bimmer has only 5900 miles and I get it serviced annually by the dealer under warranty service. Recently, I've been noticing that my miles per gallon is getting lower almost weekly! Is this normal? I do drive in the city couple times a week. One day the computer would show 21.5 miles per gallon in the city, the next few days it showed 21.4. Please help! :confuse:
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    One day the computer would show 21.5 miles per gallon in the city, the next few days it showed 21.4. Please help!

Quit looking at the average fuel consumption display. Are you actually worried about one-tenth mpg?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,480
    There are definitely arguments that support both sides. First off, I'd say to go and DRIVE a new 3 series (whichever one you may be looking at be it a 325i or 330i) then see if you can drive the E46 CPO 3 series. Many like the sharper handling, smaller dimensioned, driver oriented cockpit of the E46 3 series (especially the 330i ZHP - Performance Package) while others prefer the softer, larger, more luxurious E90 3 series.

Are you paying cash or taking out a loan for your car?

New vs. CPO is a tough choice:

A CPO car will come with the duration of the vehicle's 4 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and scheduled maintenance as well as an additional 2 years/50,000 miles of warranty (with a small deductible).

As much as they dress up the CPO program (and it is a good one), you're still taking the risk of buying a used car. Maybe somebody drove it back and forth to the train station and out to dinner Saturday nights or Maybe the car was driven within an inch of its life (like it is supposed to be) and had a few issues...you really don't know unless you're smart enough to have the car's service records pulled and have it checked out by an independent BMW mechanic.

The old new vs. used argument used to favor used because the previous owner took the big depreciation hit. Some of the dealer asking prices for these CPO BMWs is downright scary though. Dealers do make a lot of money on used cars so make sure to bring your negotiating skills and lots of patience.

A new car YOU get to properly break-in. You'll know where every little scratch and ding comes from. You'll have a full 4 years/50,000 miles of warranty and scheduled maintenance. At the end of the warranty period you can opt to have the car "CPOed" or just find a really good independent BMW mechanic. You also get to pick and choose the exact colors & options you like.

Let us know what your search brings you. Good luck.

If I were in the market for a 3 series right now, my heart would tell me to go and find the lowest mileage CPO 2005 330i ZHP with a 6 speed manual transmission out there. My brain (& wallet) would tell me to go out an get a 2005 325i with a Sports Package & 5 speed stick.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    msandalismsandalis Member Posts: 20
    OK an update. Great freakin' car. The 6 spd is awesome and the tightness and handling of the car is absolutely remarkable. There is enough room for the two kids in the back and the engine noise is out of this world. I just wish the speed limits were higher.

I guess you can tell I like it. Now to figure out how the features work....

Michael
  • Options
    msfitnetzmsfitnetz Member Posts: 14
    Hey all, I am new to board and deciding the new/used/lease thing. BUT I found this deal here:

2005 330xi sedan perf pkg, sport pkg, DVD/nav pkg, steptronic, heated seats, ipod ready, etc(one of my fav colors dk blue!!),Xenons, 17K miles, allow about 1600 miles month with 17 months left on a 36 mo lease( max 45K)..for $395 mo + tax..
    seller needs to save $$ and get out. Needs $2500 to take over.
    It is in another state about 4hours drive but I am considering very much, longer lease than I wanted. i was looking for a 7 month so I could get a 2007 but this baby has everything and I have test driven a 2003 330xi ( fell in love but have been waiting to decide new/used/lease ).
    Any insight or know issues. I have heard about run flats positive and negatives, sports pkg tires with AWD and I was looking for a no down deal. But this baby is sweet and I plan to test drive maybe this weekend (OMG!! its labor day weekend egads the traffic!).

Also has anyone ever did a lease transfer with BMW financial. I am also going to post in lease area too.
    :P anxiously awaiting to become an owner!!

Thanks
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Can't have performance package and sport package. It's either or.

Lease transfer is $450 through BMWFS and it takes about a month.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As blueguydotcom said, BMW did not offer the Performance Package and the Sport Package on any E46 model and as such I suspect that the first car has the Premium Package and the Sport Package instead. That having been said, there is no such a thing as a true Sports Package on any of the AWD ("xi") models, it's simply cosmetic (Steering Wheel and Seats).

So, with the above in mind plus the fact that you are looking at a 2005 (previous model, aka. E46), you don't need to worry about the RunFlat tires or the Sport Package tires because the cars you are looking at have neither. Said another way, the 330xi (even with the Sport Package) is an emasculated 330i (from a performance perspective) that can accelerate resonably well in the snow.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    msfitnetzmsfitnetz Member Posts: 14
    Thank you. I think he may have mentioned the seats and a steering wheel for sports pkg. Wow! a whole month well plenty of time to "drool".

:shades:
  • Options
    If I were in the market for a 3 series right now, my heart would tell me to go and find the lowest mileage CPO 2005 330i ZHP with a 6 speed manual transmission out there. My brain (& wallet) would tell me to go out an get a 2005 325i with a Sports Package & 5 speed stick.

My brain tells me to get a E39 M5 when I need a 4 seater. :D Then again, my brain tells me a M Coupe works great as a daily driver. :confuse:
  • Options
    Used makes great financial sense! That said, you pay a huge premium for CPO cars over similar cars that you could get directly form an owner. I'd buy from an owner with detailed car history and set aside the money that I saved over CPO for potential repairs. These cars are fairly reliable and if carfax checks out OK and the tech inspection looks good, you are in good shape.
  • Options
    sadovskisadovski Member Posts: 2
    To that point, I just found a 2004 330i owned by a self-proclaimed "little old lady" with ~25k on it. She adds that it's got all the bells and whistles. I haven't called her yet to get all details, but she's selling for $27,500.

A 2003 330i CPO with similar packages at 38k is selling for about $1,000 more at the local dealership.

Not to mention the dealer said there are more exclusions in the extended CPO warranty, mostly in the electrical system (stereo, for instance). Since I've looked into it, I don't get any more of a sense of security from the CPO program, just sounds sketchy to me.
  • Options
    leohpoleleohpole Member Posts: 10
    Hi all should have posted this hear I think, any takers?

Good day folks,
    Just got a '97 318is automatic that is a bit of a slug. It must have been driven in 4th gear all its life. I have a couple questions;
    1.- I want to change the exhaust to give a little boost, anyone with an ebay or other link?
    2.- Looking for a good BMW parts and accessory shop in the Ft. Lauderdale area (no rip-off merchants please)
    3.- Need an owner's manual to decipher all the german symbols on the panel. Couldnt find one on amazon.
    many thanks in advance for any help given. L
  • Options
    See my response in the 3er "Problems and Solutions" topic.
  • Options
    maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    Hi folks. After a long search, I finally bought the 3-series of my dreams (manual, sports and premium package). It is a lovely dark blue, with tan leather interior. An absolute blast everytime.

I wanted to ask for wax/leathercare advice. I did a quick search, and there were thousands of confusing products. I am looking for classic stuff that works on BMWs.

1) What wax/polish for the outside of the car
    2) what leather care for inside
    3) what products to keep break dust off and make rims look nice?

thanks for all help.
  • Options
    Nice car. And properly equipped as well.

I'd ask Bretfraz over on the "Maintenance and Repair" board.

BMW sells a very good leather care kit.

3) what products to keep break(sic) dust off and make rims look nice?

BMW and Eagle One offer excellent wheel cleaning products. Buy a soft wheel brush while you are at it. The long term solution-if you aren't going to track the car-is to replace the factory brake pads with AXXIS Deluxe Plus pads. That will solve the problem for good.
  • Options
    txbmwfantxbmwfan Member Posts: 27
    I have a 325i that has been kept in pristine condition. I have regularly used the following products:

Zymol

Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner

3) what products to keep break dust off and make rims look nice?

Meguiar's Professional Wheel Cleaner.
  • Options
    I need some tomorrow. I live in Canada, any reccomendations?
    thx
  • Options
    BMW Coolant ONLY!!!
  • Options
    any recomendations?
    the front right has started making a slight knock.
    was looking at the HD bilsteins on ebay, anyone have experience with these?
    also i should mention there a lot of bad roads where I live so i'm not really looking for stiff sport shocks, but more for comfort.
    thanks again in advance for any advice given.
    L
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Regular bilsteins are GREAT shocks.
  • Options
    I love the adjustable Konis in my car. They are about the same price as the Bilsteins but their rebound can be adjusted with the simple turn of a knob from the strut towers. Feel like a spirited drive, turn the knob to tighten them up. When you are done and want a more supple ride, turn the knob to soften them up. Great stuff!
  • Options
    bmwlov3rbmwlov3r Member Posts: 8
    Hello all. I just got a sweeeet 330i (sp,pp, 18" wheels, silver on black). I just have a question about whether the trunk lid should pop all the way open when I press the button on the key fob. Thanks!
  • Options
    I just have a question about whether the trunk lid should pop all the way open when I press the button on the key fob.

No, it should simply unlatch.
  • Options
    how much should i be looking at if i just replaced the front shocks with original BMW parts?
    Is it new shocks that I need if I have a slight knocking on the front right? or bushings, or springs...?
    thanks again
  • Options
    The front end knock could be caused by a number of things. My guess would be the upper strut bearing. That said, you really need to have a good shop check everything over before you start throwing parts at the problem.
  • Options
    thanks again div2
  • Options
    I have owned a 2004 325i for 2.5 years, and it has 19K miles on it. Recently, I been hearing a lot of rattles which seem to come from the windows and doors. This does not inspire confidence as to body and hardware integrity. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • Options
    The "rattles" could be caused by the door/window seals; it's a known problem on the E83. Have your dealer check for any relevant TSBs.
  • Options
    That is likely the problem. Thanks for the advice! I will call my dealer.
  • Options
    Looking for your advice on Winter tires for my 330i 2003 sports package.
    I am not adverse to buying steel wheels/16 inchs but let me know your guys thoughts on this topic. Also best deals available in Canada. I live in Canada so it is going to be important to me.
    Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    So I pull into my parking lot at my condo complex this afternoon after work and see a really nice looking Dark (Monaco?) Blue E46 330Ci ZHP. The guy put an M3 logo on the back & to top it off the car was an automatic. What goes through these peoples' minds?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Michael,

I don't think you'll find 16" steel wheels that fit over the brakes. There are a couple of 16" alloy wheels that will fit. Check tire rack.
  • Options
    A friend of mine used to auto-x a seriously modded E36 M3. Just for giggles he removed the ///M3 badge and replaced it with a German 316 badge. Several months later European Car published a letter from a clueless dweeb asking where he could buy a 316 like the one he saw that set FTD at a local SCCA event...
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I hear landau roofs are all the rage in Munich...
  • Options
    wax_71wax_71 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am in the same boat and looking at a CPO 2003 330xi priced at 29k with 38k too!
    I have never had a bmw before and have always thought they were overpriced.
    The warranty is 50k miles so basically its a 2 year limited warranty for I would say $2000.
    A new one is 40k and I agree with your wife. (Except for when I bought my wife a Mini which we should recoupe most of our money when I try and sell it this week.)
    Hopefully there are enough little old ladies with 3 series to go around.
    How did things turn out for you?
  • Options
    alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Poseur: a person who pretends to be what he or she is not : an affected or insincere person. That's what goes in their minds. I would even doubt it's a ZHP: Monaco is not a standard metallic paint offering; don't be surprised this dude painted his automatic cic and fitted with the 138M wheels. Now, if he's got the front dam design, front spoiler, etc, that's different, but I still be surprised why would he go thru all this to make it appear as something it's not. :P
  • Options
    Hey div2 - do you know what the best is to determine a car's gear ratios and final drive ratio without opening the differential?
  • Options
    For the final drive ratio put the car on a lift or jack up the rear of the car using jackstands. Put the transmission in neutral. The next step takes two people; one person turns a rear wheel one complete revolution while the other counts how many revolutions the driveshaft makes. 3.5 revolutions= a 3.50 rear axle ratio, and so on. As for the gearbox ratios, your best bet is to check contemporary road tests of the car in question. Of course, if the tranny is out of the car you can put it in first and count how many turns of the input shaft it takes to make the output shaft make one revolution, and so on. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    The car was a genuine 330Ci ZHP. HAd the 18" wheels, front air dam, aluminum cubed interior...Just the ///M3 badge.

I just wonder who this person is trying to impress (not that I care one iota). It isn't like he took a '97 318is and put the ///M3 badge on it. He took a car that probably stickered for low to mid $40K and tried to make it look like it was a $50K something car :confuse:

I think the ///M3 badge adds an extra 10 - 15 horsepower ;)

• Options
    I just wonder who this person is trying to impress

He's just another pathetic moron who should be forced to drive a KIA for the remainder of his miserable life...
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Would it be in the specs in owner's manual?
  • Options
    That reminds me, the dealer brochures provide that info. I have decades of old brochures. Let me know what model you are researching and I'll see if I have it.
  • Options
    Tonight on my drive home I saw a really nice Jet Black/Black E36 ///M3 Sedan. It had the Luxury Wheels & Spoiler. Nice car. Did they make the sedan in '98 & '99?

• Options
    I have a 03 330i for only about 3 weeks it has 103,000 km
    I noticed a slight whinning upon starting up a while ago and thought nothing of it. But today I tried starting the car and it made a awful, awful sound and would not start. I checked to see if I was doing something wrong. After I buckled myself in and put it in gear etc. It started. It reminded me one day a week or two ago when I started it with the doors opened,same thing awful noise and did not start till I had everything ready. I am starting to think they are a coincedence and something is going wrong.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    97 and 98 only, I believe
  • Options
    I finally took my M3 to the track. I thought my 325 was a blast to drive, but the M is a whole new level of nirvana.

Here's 23mb worth of me following another M3 around Spokane Raceway Park for one lap.

https://home.comcast.net/~fishkin1/srpM3s.mpg