Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    The headlights lenses lost their luster and became a tad opaque, especially towards the top. I've always wondered whether this was at least a contributing factor to their poor performance.

I bought a pair of new ones for about $100 each (I thought it was just new skeletons, but they came fully assembled, with bulbs and all), and the results were pretty good.

It also looks like it's wearing new jewels, for the new headlights are sparkling. :)
  • Options
    bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    Mine look the same. Took them off and tried to clean the insides with a small cloth and snake through the socket holes. Not great but a lot better. Don't think I'm up for spending $200 but I know it would make the car look a lot better. Like clean windows in the house. Now that you have new ones, have you tried the new plastic polish for clear plastic? Put some on mine after I cleaned them. Cleans and shines them up real nice.
  • Options
    Do you mean that they were dirty from the inside? They seemed to me to be deteriorated form the outside and removing the bulb sockets I could not see any spot of dirt inside.

$200 does not come easy, but after putting this off for so long, I decided to shell them now that my daughter has been driving it to and from school.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    Yes, the inside was where the discoloration was. I pulled the bulbs and put a small terry cloth rag with windex inside and pushed it around with a wire snake. It cleaned it up pretty well. I wish I could have figured out how to pull the lens cover off. Looks like you can release the taps to undo it, but when I tried it wouldn't budge. The plastic polish would have worked great on the inside if I could have gotten the lens cover off. I was really surprised how much dirt came off the outside when I used it. The directions say it takes off old oxidation that cloud the lens. Mine was all on the inside but the outside had a lot of dirt that I couldn't see until I used the polish. Suppose to work on any clear plastic inside or out. Great stuff. Where did you find the headlights for $100? Evertwhere I've looked they've been twice that.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.
  • Options
    Actually, make that $125 each, after checking the order, I found out that I rounded it down too optimistically.

I got them at http://gmpartsdirect.com, PN's 10319774 and 10319775.

HTH
  • Options
    karl0603karl0603 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently gotten a 1998 Intrigue with apprx. 110k miles that is leaking oil. I have not been able to identify the leak location. The oil appears to be powersteering fluid and I haven't been able to locate the power steering pump fluid cap. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    My 2000 Intrigue GL SLP "Type R" is now 6 years old. 43000 miles and mostly mint shape (but no "trailer queen"!).
    Out here in Vegas it is pretty easy keeping it nice. Few problems to speak of. Recently looked at the Fusion, 500, and other midsize sedans, none seemed any better than my current car, although a small block Impala would be cool (and I like the restyle). My hope is to keep the Olds another 4 years, as I only put about 4-5000 a year on it now. -ketch :)
  • Options
    mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    I have a 99 GLS with 143,000 miles and a 2004 GTO which I bought last yr because I thought I needed it for my midlife crisis which was about to start. Since you like the intrigue a lot like I do I checked out a loaded Buick LaCrosse CXS had stabilitrak and remote start which make it a nice comfortable year round car. Forget about the Ford Floridian(I mean 500).Or wait for the Saturn Aura, which really may be the best intrigue replacement.
  • Options
    Not a lover of the LaCrosse, but by the time I replace the 'trig in 4 years, the Aura should be out, right? I also have a '03 Saturn Vue AWD V6 we love (first time Saturn owners), so another Saturn would be great. -ketch
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    i have a 2001 gl with 65 km on it. My extended warranty will be up next october and i'll bring my car in for a thorough check up before it expire.
    the thought of having to fork out thousand of dollars right after the warranty expired is sickening.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Chiming in a little late, but thought I'd replace the "trig's "eyes" too. Last year when I was the victim of a parking lot hit and run, the body shpp used an Asian replacement headlight assembly, but it doesn't fit exactly like the factrory piece. Also, the rubber caps were missing.

Do the replacements come with the rubbnner caps for all the lenses? Lose a lot of light power without them....

Thanks!

Deke
    98 GX( base) 51400 miles and counting.
  • Options
    It was a complete part, with all caps and even bulbs. It took me perhaps 5min to replace both headlights: remove the retention clips, disconnect the electrical cable and reverse these steps. Voila, ready to go!
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Thanks. Looks like I'm buying myself a Christmas present this year.....$320 worth...
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    My 2000 GL is also almost 6 years old. It's holding up very well. I just had a complete check over and the only thing they suggested was new transmission fluid which I ended up changing. Otherwise the car was in good shape.

With almost 100K kms now, I am very happy. I also see little that attracts me in the market today. The 3.9L Impala looks ok in gray and the Lucerne looks decent but seems a little low on power with the old 3800. I like the Fusion but I'd wait and see how reliable it is. None of the imports excite me (Camry Accord or Altima). Not sure where I would go. Maybe if they fix the front end of the Allure (LaCrosse) I'll go for a CXS.

Still plan on keeping my GL for another 3 years. :):)
  • Options
    The Aura with the 3.6L might be a good car also, I just have a feeling it would be big enough. I like the space (trunk especially) of the trig.
  • Options
    I have the same opinion. I've got a 2000 GL, dark green, and it still looks great when I shine it up. It's got 113,000 miles on it and it's still running great. I've also looked at a lot of the new cars and haven't been all that impressed. The LaCross CXS looks great, but it's pretty pricey IMHO. You might check out the '06 Sonata. Comes with a lot of standard equipment in the V6 version with a very impressive engine. If it turns out to be reliable, I think Toyta and Honda are going to lose some market share and GM may really be in trouble (I know, they already are). Not to bad looking either. That or the Azara may be my next car, but I'm hoping to get at least 2 more years out of the Intrigue. Just love that 3.5L engine and all the room. Easily the cheapest to own car I've ever had (and I've had a lot of imports and domestics). To bad GM baged Olds. :(
  • Options
    Yep, the Aura looks promising, particularly because of the 3.6 V6.

Owning an Intrigue with the 3.5 and a Bonneville with the 3.8, I found the 3.6 to unite the best of both engines: strong off the line and on the highway.

I'm so spoiled that I don't intend to buy any other car with either an OHV engine or a 4-speed tranny. :shades: The Aura makes one cut, will make the other?
  • Options
    The Impala looks pretty sharp, but it's a smaller rear seat than both the previous model and the Intrigue. Besides, at least on paper, in spite of cam phasing, the 3.9 doesn't seem to be as good on the highway as the 3.5: here.

Google the new Camry. It looks pretty sharp, very ES300'ish.
  • Options
    ya, just read a short test of the Azera. Looks great (in fact I see a bit of the Intrigue in the fender shapes) and has a lot to offer for the money. It would top my list. Also like the new Sonata. As I have seen more 500's on the road, they seem so old-manish I suppose to me (although at 46 I well on my way!). The Milan has a nice look and size.
    Nevertheless, keeping my Intrigue for many more years. I find I need 4 doors with the kids. When they leave the roost, I will return to a coupe (last was an 86 Mustang GT 5.0). Of the coupes right now, of course the GT Mustang is great, but for some reason really like the G6. Here is a car where I hate the 4door but love how the coupe version looks.
  • Options
    Not a Ford guy but love the new Mustang. Think it's much nicer looking than the G6 (which isn't bad). Of course I did have a 66 Mustang GT fast back, as a youth, with a 289 high performance, 4 speed, solid lifters, 4 barrel carb. The new ones look very much like the first incarnation of the car. Probably why I like it so much. Being past any mid-life crisis, my Mustang days are long gone. I'm much more into comfort, reliability, safety, that kind of boring stuff. In other words, I'm married. I'll ride the Intrigue into the ground and hate the day I have to give it up. As I said above, still looks and runs great. :)
  • Options
    classicbuffclassicbuff Member Posts: 18
    I've got a question for the forum: I have a '00 Intrigue with 94,000 on it. On hot starts, it dies, and on the second start, runs fine. On cold starts, I have to hold the gas pedal half way down to get it to start. No idiot lights, or anything else. I read on the board that it could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator, which can be checked by taking a hose off, and seeing if it has fuel in it. Could this be the culprit? If so, where is it? I would appreciate any help all of you can offer.
    Thanks
    Don
  • Options
    Yes that could be the problem. Does it run all right once it starts? Any hesitation or misfires? If not it could be the FPR. Take the engine cover off (2 plastic hex nuts on the front of the cover). As you're facing the engine look on the back side and locate the fuel rail (about a 3/8" plastic pipe that runs the length of the back 3 cylinders). On the right side of the rail is the FPR. It's held on with a metal clip and has a very small vacume hose attached to it. Pull the hose off and smell for gas. There shouldn't be any gas in the line. If there is you may have a bad FPR. If you change it be sure to be careful pulling it out. There could be gas under pressure in the rail. Not a lot but it could squirt all over. I found out the hard way. Make sure you have a big rag when you pull it out of the rail. About a half hour job and the part is around $60 to $90 cost depending where you get it. If you don't smell or see fuel in the vacume line, I would suspect a sensor. Hope this helps. Good luck
  • Options
    I just don't see ever buying a Hyundai. I can't even say Hyundai properly. New Sonata doesn't impress me at all, I'm sure it's fine, not for me.

CXS base is priced ok but the front end looks weak. It needs a Lucerne-like front. The Aura looks very promising and I don't mind the Impala LTZ with the new 3.9L 240HP engine. The new Ford Fusion looks decent also.
  • Options
    Yea, a lot of people can't bring themselves to consider a Hyundai. Same way it was with Honda and Toyota when they first started. Sounds like a really nice car (the Sonata) but time will tell. Haven't really looked into the Aura yet, but I kind of feel the same way about Saturn as you do about Hyundai. That plus the feeling that if GM hadn't poured billions down the drain keeping them afloat, Olds would still be around and probably coming out with the 3rd generation of the Intrigue next year! I'll have to get by that and give it an honest look soon. The Impala looks nice but the Ford will have to be really reliable over a few years for me to consider it. Right now the CXS LaCross would be my 1st choice but is still to rich for my pocketbook.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I feel pretty much the same way about Saturn as you do. Right now I'd be more inclined to buy a Hyundai than a Saturn -- in fact I'd be more inclined to buy anything other than a Saturn because of its role in Oldsmobile's demise and the fact that they have produced some pretty awful cars over the years. If the Aura proves to be a good car, fine, but I'll wait until a version arrives under another badge.

Right now I'd be hard-pressed to shop GM if I was replacing my Intrigue. Buick comes closest but I would find it hard to get past the fact that most Buicks I see around here are base-model Centurys with plastic wheelcovers driven by white-haired types. Sometimes I think they come standard with handicap tags. That's a tough image to overcome.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Honda and Toyota have been making reliable cars long before they got to America. Hyundai and Kia have been the caboose of the industry until recently. And although they improved a lot in new models, in the long term is still to be seen.
  • Options
    The new LaCross should attract some younger buyers but you said it yourself, it's a tough image to overcome. We have a '01 Regal LS with the Abboud package and besides the image, I have to admit it's a very nice ride. We're not at the blue hair stage of life quite yet. It's got about every option they offered back then and is very smooth, but not as nice as my Intrigue. Despite the fact that it's 1 year newer, the Intrigue has a quieter interior, much nicer engine (IMO), handles better, has more mid range power, and gets better gas mileage. It also looks way nicer (again IMO). In fact, I still think it's one of the better looking cars on the road even after almost 9 years. As for the Sonata, my sister-in-law drove one over the weekend and is ready to buy if the deal is right. She's been shopping for a few months and has tested a few other cars and she loves the Sonata. She's going for the LX loaded version and I should get to test drive it in the next month or so. I test drove a few Kias last year and was surprised at the build quality. The Koreans seem to be making big strides in short time spans and are fast catching up to the Honda's of the auto world. Most all the reviews on the '06 Sonata have been glowing. As I said before, time will tell. They sure give you a lot for your money. Figure a LX with every option can be had for less than $22,000 and it comes with 6 airbags and a 5 year-60,000mi. b-b warranty and it's hard to match. The big question is reliability. They have gotten much better the last few years but this is a first year new model. It's also built in Alabama. I'll let you know how it drives if she gets it. Later.
  • Options
    Honestly I doubt I would ever buy a Honda and even less likely a boring Toyota either. Hyundais are bottom of the pile in terms of resale and long term reliability and the name screams discount car company to me.

Saturn = GM, don't kid yourself. Now more than ever. Never looked at Saturn until the VUE and now the Aura. If it wasn't GM I would be less sure but the 3.6L is a Caddy engine, the 3.5L base is a GM mainstream power plant. Don't care what GM did to Saturn in the past, the fact that the new models SKY and Aura look great.
  • Options
    New Impala LTZ with the brushed alloy interior is pretty darn close to an Intrigue. Much better actually in many ways. Check one out, you will be surprised.
  • Options
    You misunderstand my feelings about Saturn -- I would not buy one just on principle alone because they are the reason Olds is dead. Doesn't matter what their cars are like now. Their image is not one I find attractive. Plus around here, their dealers are rather questionable. As for the Impala, yes, it is improved, but the bland exterior styling leaves me cold and Chevys have always seemed cheap to me and I see this is no exception (such as providing no keyed entry on the passenger door or trunk). Perhaps I may warm to it, but I really do not want a pushrod engine.

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks. I know there may not be much Intrigue conversation to be had these days, but I'm wondering if we can take this conversation to the Help Me Choose! discussion. You are tossing around a lot of intersting thoughts and I don't want you to stop - it would just be better placed in that discussion than this one.

Meet ya there!
  • Options
    The Intrigue runs just fine. It's just the starting quirks. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    gamefacegameface Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how the overflow reservoir works in regards
    to where is the relief valve/discharge point. It seems to
    run to a tube behind the engine. Does this tube discharge
    when the system overheats or just feed back to a different
    part of the system?
  • Options
    You were right! I took off the vacuum hose, and smelled gas, so I got a new FPR (dealer item here in Mpls.). Good move on the gas coming out of the rail! I placed a rag underneath before I started. There was a brass snap ring included with the FPR, and I didn't see a use for it. The Intrigue runs fine, the starting problems are gone. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    I just got a 2000 Intrigue, and on the climate control readout for the temp., It's in Celcious! Is there a way to change it to Farenheit? I can't find any English/Metric button, and nothing in the owners' manual. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I had gas in my vacuum line also but that didn't solve my hard start/non start problem.
    I believed it was the cranskshaft position sensor but my dealer refused to replace them/it.
  • Options
    What did you do to solve it? Did it run ok once it started? Just wondering. I know the CPS was a problem in a lot of cases also. I changed the FPR about 4 months ago and haven't had it not start on the first try since. Got lucky I guess. Have no Idea where the CPS is or how to change it. Hope it (they?)never goes.
  • Options
    Olds is dead because of Saturn? Ha ha, that's a good one.

Saturn, Olds, Hummer ect all = GM.

I do agree the Impala is a bit bland but the interior is nice and in LTZ trim it's decent. The 3.9L is better than you think.
  • Options
    Celsius huh? Maybe you got a Canuck Trig.

Mine stays on Celsius, can't be changed.
  • Options
    Olds is dead because of lack of investment in product development and marketing which led to poor sales. The reason is the mega-billions GM poured down the sinkhole known as Saturn. I suggest you read up on some recent business history if you doubt that.

The 3.9 is, I understand, yet another derivative of the 1979 vintage 2.8 V-6 (correct me if I'm wrong on that please). I had one of those engines in 1982, experienced the also-related 3.4 in any number of GM rentals, wouldn't want another.

• Options
    wildcat1wildcat1 Member Posts: 6
    I couldn't bear to part with my 99 Intrigue GL w/3.5, so my son now uses it, while I ordered and received my 2006 LaCrosse CXS. I got the CXS in Sep, and now have @3k on it.[ You can read my posts on the LaCrosse site under prices paid #3 & 4, and comments on the regular LaCrosse site.]
    Comparing the two, the LaCrosse is definetely quieter, the drive by wire throttle makes it seem more powerful by it's response in midrange torque[ partly vvt] which makes a nice no fuss/no downshift acceleration adequate for most situations, and I feel the brakes are superior to the Intrigue. I also like the XM radio option, the reverse sensor,remote start & the ride/handling combo, tilt & telescoping steering wheel. The Olds loyalty certificate combined with the GM card earnings made the price work. So far, it has been perfect and it has been pure enjoyment. I still love the Intrigue, and drive it occasionally, and feel it was the best bang for the buck car I have ever owned. The styling is still attractive, and the car fits me like a glove, but I now notice the noise level, and am amazed how fast I got used to, and now appreciate, the new features on the LaCrosse, but it is great to still have the option of the Intrigue as well.
  • Options
    Yep, both the 3.5 and the 3.9 OHV V6 engines are derivate from the 3.4 V6. You say '79, but I thought it was older than that.

Even with cam phasing, the 3.9 torque curve in high RPM tapers abruptly. After the Intrigue, I'll pass on OHV engines, although I do appreciate the off-the-line punch of the 3.8.

IMO, no more compromises! I've driven the 3.6 and it's got the best of both worlds: the low-end punch of the 3.8 and the highway passing power of the 3.5.

I just with that GM would install the 3.6 in all of its models, for the competition is loaded with similar, sophisticated engines.
  • Options
    That's what I thought, too. Normally, there would be an inport tag somewhere near the mfg. tag on the inside of the door. I can't seem to find an inport tag.
  • Options
    The hard start/no start condition was never solved.
    I had the FPR replaced also.
    I leased the Intrigue (Shortstar) March 21, 1999.
    Was offered early lease termination starting June 1st, 2001.
    The afternoon of June 1st I was driving a brand new 2001 Impala LS.
    I found out later that my '99 Intrigue only fetched $8300 at auction. This was a 27 month old car with 35K on it.

At this point I am really put off by GM's midsize offerings. The resale on my Intrigue and later on my Impala is an embarassment.

Especially in light of the fact that my fiancee's '98 Accord has a $8900 retail. And this is a 7 year old car!!!
  • Options
    All GM W bodies including the Intrigue got an additional inner wheelwell in 2001. This really quieted down these cars which had a lot of road noise emanating from the rear of the car.
    My '99 Intrigue was econo car noisy at 70+ mph. Sounded like a Dodge Neon back there.
    My 2001 Impala was much much quieter.
    2001 and later Intrigue owners will probably echo my statements.
    I also think the 2000 and later cars have softer suspensions.
  • Options
    GM invested millions in all new cars for Olds.. The Intrigue, Alero and Aurora + the van and SUV clones. They didn't sell well, many of the dealers were old and GM was and still is sinking. Saturn had 2 vehicles, the S and L but had brand new dealers. Where would they have saved more money?

I loved Oldsmobile, still do. The American public could not get past the name and didn't take to the new Olds. Personally I think it's a tragedy that Olds is gone but I don't "blame" another division for it's demise.

I also don't care what the roots of an engine are so long as it works, it's refined and reliable. I don't think there is much in common between the 2.8 you mention and this mill.
  • Options
    Is it KMs on the outside of the speedo?

Sure sign of a Canadian car.
  • Options
    Replacing my Eagles with Goodyear Assurance tires really did a good job in quieting and refining the ride of my 2000 GL.
  • Options
    The "name" excuse is just that, an excuse, and a bogus one at that. The name was just fine for 105 years. You think nobody in past generations noticed that? In the hip '70s, when Olds sold a million cars a year, a bunch of them 4-4-2s and Cutlasses aimed at the youth market? It's hogwash. What killed Olds was a lack of marketing resources from GM, product development that came way toolate after decades of neglect, plus an ill-advised decision to abandon their usual buyers.

• Options
    Yup, overall the product line was correct, but they never really successfully marketed them. Rock told Zarella in 95 that if the ad agency (same as Olds has since the 30's) didn't turn it around, to dump them. They didn't, and Zarella didn't. My Brother, in the car biz for 40 years (VWoA exec, then CEO at Sterling, then CEO at Sandy Corp.) met Zareela once and said the guy was seriously less than sharp, and no 'car guy'. He tried selling cars like soap, except cars need to be sold with passion, which he never did. Zarella left, but not before the damage was done.

With Olds gone, GM did see a noticable drop in buyers who left for other makes. One artcile said it was like 10%, but that seems high.
    Now Saturn will become what Olds had. Lets just hope they market it right this time. Otherwise the adage of those not remebering history being doomed to repeat it, just might be the case.