Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    ab348,
    Couldn't agree more about the name excuse. The 442's and Cutlass "S" sold very well with youth while the 98's sold well with older folks. I never remember Olds trying to sell just to old people but I have to admit that's the image they ended up with. The stupidest ads they ever ran (not counting the train ad to sell the Intrigue) were the ones with the catch line "it's not your father's Oldsmobile". My father's Oldsmobile was a '62 Dynamic 88 (I know, I'm old) with a 440ci V8 that would blow the draws off of most cars on the road. It was also a very smooth riding (for its day) and roomy car that my brother, sister, and I could fit in with no trouble. I always wanted a 442 growing up and by the look of sales back then, so did a lot of other young people. My opinion is that catch line put it in peoples minds that Olds WAS an old persons car and they had to overcome that. It seems that Olds (and GM) went into a collective sleep after that and didn't wake up until the Aroura and Intrigue came out. The ads (or lack there of) to sell these cars were just plain awful. My dad saw the Intrigue ad with me one day and asked me what the hell they were selling. He didn't have a clue. After I did some reading up on the new Olds and telling him it looked like a nice car, he bought a '00 to replace his Buick Lesabre. He was 78 then and just loved the car. My sister still has it. If Olds had run an ad that was understandable to everyone, they may have sold it to their "usual buyers" and younger ones too. Just my $.02.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Well, the thing is that the 60° V6 is an unworthy architecture. The previous 3.1 and 3.4 were quite prone to piston and intake manifold issues, and haven't been refined ever since they came into existence. Even if in terms of NVH they were OK in the beginning, they haven't been so for the last 20 years.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Perhaps the name thing is an excuse but marketing alone doesn't sell cars either. Olds Intrigue was advertised to death and it didn't sell well. Of course initial problems with the 98's probably didn't help but these new cars just didn't catch on, plain and simple. Couple that with years of neglect of the Olds name and you probably have a steep hill to climb.

The new generation Olds cars were not a failure on their own, they were an extension of GM's failures from the past. Buick may be on the same road if they don't get things together. The LaCrosse and Lucerne are both decent cars but neither are outstanding and marketing has been limited. Couple that from years of neglect with cars like the Century and...

I like what GM is doing with Saturn regardless of whatever else has happened. Making the division the Opel of North America is what it should have always been. The Aura looks like it will be a good car and I like the looks, end of story. I blame GM mis-management for Oldsmobile's demise, not Saturn.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas Intrigue owners!
  • Options
    I don't blame it all on Saturn and I have to agree with all you said about GM. I have driven a few Saturns and have been very under whelmed to say the least. As sad as it is, Olds is dead and gone and it's time to move on. The question is where? I'll give the Aura an honest look and I have to admit that the Sky is one sharp looking roadster, even though it's just a re-skined Solstice (not a bad thing). Probably end up going import in the end, but I'm still hoping for a great domestic that I can afford. Could still happen as I'm hoping to wring a few more years out of the Intrigue.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours vanman1, and all the rest of the Intrigue leftovers (like me) ;)
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Factory resonator was split open - real loud under my butt, noticeable from a few feet away. This thanks to 6 salt-laden Northeast winters....Mechanic told me the piece is an Intrigue-only part...no other GM car used the same size regardless of whether they had the 3.8 or not. Would have to order it, so I asked about a Flowmaster or something to give me a little more "burble" in the exhaust tome. We ended up cutting out the resonator and welding a piece of plain pipe. More tone, but not as noisy as an aftermarket piece....

Then told me the high-pitched chirping I was hearing (but I didn't) was the alternator bearing going bad. Seven years is about what you'd expect on a factory part, I guess, so a nw AC/Delco until will go on next Monday.

About two hours after picking up the car, battery light goes on, power steering disappears..... Pulled over, opened hood to find the belt laying across the pulleys.... Guys, check this out for yourself so you don't get stranded. Belt tensioner siezed! A tow back to the shop and 15 minutes later I'm back on the road.

Going to hit 52K tomorrow......still happy, but now I have that nagging feeling that the little things will start to go and nickle and dime me to death. Thinking of finding me an early 70's full-size "yacht" for a daily driver, but I've kinda goten used to ABS, traction control, etc that it wuld be too much "culture shock" to go back!

Deke
  • Options
    The only mainstream sedan I would probably buy today(import or domestic) is a Impala LTZ. It's not an Intrigue but it's not bad, I was impressed with the 240hp, the interior and the ride. It's not exciting but it's better than anything else. I used to like the Maxima, but Nissan ruined the car.

I'm hoping the Aura will be all it seems to be but I fear it will be a bit small for me. BTW, I wasn't talking about you when I spoke of blaming Saturn.
  • Options
    I took a look at the Aura board. Saw that you had a few posts over there. I have to admit it's a nice looking car. It will probably not be the same car when it comes out, but you never know. Looks like they already changed the exhust. Can't really tell how big it is by the pictures. Something to consider when the Intrigue goes. Like the interior lay out, not the colors though. I haven't checked out the Chevy yet but will give it a look. Had the service engine soon light come on the other day. ran a can of injector cleaner through it and it went off already. Hoping for 2 more years out of it. Should know more about the Aura and if it's any good by then. Later.
  • Options
    I have 100K kms on my Intrigue and it has 1 year old tires and brakes so I want to drive it at least another 2 years and then dump it before the brakes and tires need replacing again. I love having no payments also!

I have heard the Aura will not be far off what has been seen so far and it will likely be about the size of a Malibu, so slightly smaller than an Intrigue. I guess so long as trunk room is good, that will be ok. I love my big Intrigue trunk and the Impala has the same which is one of the reasons I like it. In the mean time lets enjoy our Trigs in 06.
  • Options
    racer__x_9racer__x_9 Member Posts: 18
    I just hit the 7 year mark with my Intrigue. I still love the car, although having a 7 yr $0 deductible has helped. I only have 65K miles and have gone through 2 upper intakes ($600 each) a rear window motor ($200) and a leaking rear main seal and oil pan ($1100). That and a few other odds and ends repaired over the years.

On the bright side it has no leaks and still runs great. Unfortunately I am out of warranty and all repairs from here on out will come out of my pocket.

If GM still made an Intrigue I would buy one again (with an extended warranty :P).

Happy New Year to all!
  • Options
    WOW! I'll hit 7 years this Friday! Just replaced the alternator. Maybe it's me, but it seems like the Magnasteer is working like it did when the car was new. Always felt it was a little overboosted at speed when it should have been firmer lately, but now....

Anyway, hit 52K the other day and it needs a detail. Next weekend, after I get my order from Grist's garage with a new clay bar and wheel cleaner, I'll spend Sunday in the garage with the orbital.... Still cleans up real nice - SilverMist with grey cloth.

Looking at off-lease 03 and 04 Grand Marquis as a replacement. Still have a "soft spot" for V8 RWD cars.... Believe it or not, but the 'Trig is the smallest car I've owned!

'Trig sounds kinda nice with the resonator removed and a straight pipe in place.....now if I could only get a Vette muffler with those neat oval tips... Though a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic with Flowmasters would wake up the sleepy drivers out there and get them out of my way!

Deke
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    And will probably trade in for a Impala SS next summer/fall. 3.5 is using about a quart every 2,000 miles now (120,000 on the car), so I have to keep an eye on it. I have replaced a window motor myself ($42 for part, $0 labor) and it was, by far, the easiest window motor replacement I've ever done... 45 minutes start to finish. Probably took as long to get the door panel off and on as to replace the mechanism. Replaced the alternator at about 50,000 with a lifetime-warranty AC/Delco from PepBoys, so of course it's still fine (!). Main problem was the tranny went bye-bye at 103,000 ($1600 rebuild), but other than that we've been pretty lucky. We've had a few repairs that weren't the fault of the car (stray bolt hit the A/C condensor on the highway... $400 repair; wife backed over a stump and caught the abs sensor harness on the left front; fortunately I was able to repair that). She still likes driving it to work, says it's so easy to drive. And she averages 25 mpg in everyday commuting.
  • Options
    I like the SS but the gas consumption still concerns me along with the premium fuel need for top performance. I think the LTZ is a great compromise.

I do think the Impala is an impressive car over all. I hope in a couple of years when I am buying they improve on mileage, refinement and maybe even add a 5 or 6 speed auto. Still don't see a car closer to the Intrigue on the market. That said I still love her as much as day 1.
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Ya, really liking the Impala LTZ, which is a surprise to me since I hated the old one so much. I like the size too (4 in the family). The LTZ seems the best compromise too. Drove an LS recently that my in-laws rented. Really like the interior, seemed more expensive than expected. Like the looks of the styling too, although some say it is too bland. Biggest gripe is the typical Japanese sedan look front end I suppose. Never the less, it still doesn't measure up to my Intrigue, which says alot for 6-1/2 year old car! Here's hoping I can get 3-4 more years out of it.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    what symptoms did you have before you need to replace your upper intake?
    my 6 six year warranty is up soon and i'd like to fix as much as i can before it expire.
    i do have starting problem from time to time.
  • Options
    I have the 3.8 engine BTW. The first time I just happened to notice a spot of coolant on the garage floor after moving the car. I mean it was like one or 2 drops. I have a sheet of white armstrong flooring under the engine to help see things like this.

The second time there was a puddle of oil in a piece of the frame under the alternator. They said the intake was leaking again. The puddle came back after a few weeks and after 2 or 3 trips in, they finally fixed the rear main seal and oil pan leak and it has been dry since.

This (the intake) is a notorious faliure for the 3.8 series 2 engine.
  • Options
    danno2danno2 Member Posts: 4
    Why would the AC of a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL blow warm air thru vents on the drivers side while cold air blows thru vents on passenger side?

I have tried a computer reset offered on another site to no avail. Disconnecting the battery with the doors open. Taking the dash apart is my last resort.

FYI I've had this car since new. 85K km. Besides some electrical pecularities (turn signals and flickering headlights)and an air pump that I'm working on bypassing, the Car's been flawless.

Cheers
  • Options
    Ya, I never liked the old Impala. Interior was just bad.

LTZ not perfect but I liked it way more than I thought I would and like you, I too am hoping for another 3 good solid years from the Intrigue.
  • Options
    Car has a dual zone system so maybe it's gone to an extreme. I suppose you have tried to adjust that?

Flicker can be fixed with a new alternator. I had mine fixed just before the warranty ended and I have never seen it again.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments Vanman1. The passenger side is "ice" cold. It is winter here so picture 32 degree(f) on the Passeneger side & 72(f) on the Driver side. So yes I've played with the dual zone. I've tried every manual configuration (I should have mentioned it is the "Climate Control" version.) There is definitely (hopefully?) a damper (flapper) that is stuck or disconnected. Was just hoping for a miricle fix before I went digging.

Thanks for the alternator tip.

Cheers

ps anyone know what size resisitor I need to install to bypass the air pump? Maybe that is something I should add as a different post.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    this is a dumb question but why would you have your AC on in the wintertime? If it is cold enough that you need the heat on and you are actually using the AC, then technically you have put it in manual mode.

I also have a 2001 Intrigue GL with auto climate control. The onlytimes I have had "trouble" with the climate control is if someone adjusted the passenger side temp. control and I didn't notice it. It sounds like you checked that already.

if the answwer does not pop up on this board, try some of the other GM forums like the malibu, Grand Prix, etc. Many times they share the saem parts. Just a thought.
  • Options
    AC = heater too! sorry for the confusion. Good point... not sure which units were dual zone. Regal? Grand Prix? Impala? if so I'll check it out.
  • Options
    OK.

I woud also look at the Malibu board as well. Number of problems dealing withe the AC/heating unit on that board.
  • Options
    mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    Just passed 145,000 mi and 7 years old 99 GLS you just have to do the maintenance and expect to do repairs now and then
  • Options
    Exactly, and way cheaper than car payments. My 2000 GL (43k miles) gets a lot of care and has been payed off for 2 years. I hope to keep it another 4 or so until something better comes along that is worth paying monthly for.
  • Options
    batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    My brother's Intrigue has averaged 12 mpg (all city driving)on the last tank. What changes need to be done on a car that only has 40K miles? Oxygen sensor? Spark Plugs? The temperature in the pacific northwest is fairly mild around 45 F.
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    I once got about 220 miles on one tank ('99 GL 3.5), the lowest I ever had. I was shocked at first, but soon realized this was because I was taking very short trips, where I would get to my destination before the engine even warmed up to operating temperature (I was laid off and had nowhere to go ;) ).

If your brother is doing the same thing (short trips, not laid off!), this could lead to his poor mileage, especially if he really leans into the gas pedal. If his driving habits change and the mileage is still poor, then someone more knowledgeable could help you better. Is the "Check Engine" light on?
  • Options
    batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    Thank you akitadog. The check engine light is "on" once in a while and he has taken it to the dealership twice for this reason and they say just ignore it because they cannot find what is wrong with it. They first thought it was because the fuel cap wasn't locked tight enough and then they just gave up because the fault wasn't specific.
  • Options
    Gotta love lazy dealerships. If you have an advanced Auto parts store nearby, have him take the car there. they will read the code for him. Even if the light is not on, there is still probably a code in there. You need the code reader to reset the code. It will take them 5 minutes to read the code for him. then post the code. someone should be able to help you.
  • Options
    Don't judge mileage based on one tank. Read this interesting article about gas milage.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/Mileage.htm
  • Options
    I got this fix from another site. We had a mild day. The instructions were to leave both front doors open. Disconnect the battery (They said five minutes, but I left it for a few hours) to reset the computer. Apparently there are sensors that control the flappers, having the doors open has something to do with tricking the sensors. Then the instructions were to put on the coldest setting (AC won't come on below a certain temp , I was below this). It did not work right away. I hooked everything up and no change. We had a warmer day that the air would come on.... That seemed to do the trick.... Both sides toasty warm. Beyond giving these instructions to try, I really have no explanation for why it worked, (Not even 100% sure it just wasn't the mild weather) But if somone has a similar problem its worth a try. Thanks to those that offered comments and tried to help. Great Site!
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    That's a good read, racer x 9,

In my case, I knew why my mileage was low, it was because of short trips on a cold engine, as mentioned in the article. Since batista didn't mention any other car issues in that one post, I went with what could be the easiest fix.
  • Options
    Just got the oil changed, and now cannot get the oil life monitor to reset (dash light stays on). I must admit some hassle with the process of having the key to ON, pushing the gas pedal and releasing slowly three times, all in 5 seconds. So far, I cannot get it to go off as in the past.
    Any tricks? Am I doing this correctly????
  • Options
    Whatever the sequence is in the book always worked for me but to be honest, I have had my GM dealer do my oil changes the 3 or 4 times so I have not done it recently. Hopefully you can get it to work.
  • Options
    i was doing my emission test today along with some work i want to get done before my warranty is up, they lended me an impala and i have to say the impala is superior, it feels more solid and the engine is lot more responsive.
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    I would expect it to be better. It's design is 8 years newer. Do you know if the Impala had the 3.5 or the 3.9 engine? The 3.9 has variable valve timing (maybe the 3.5 too?), which helps the low end grunt, something the Intrigue doesn't have a lot of. Although the Intrigue makes up for it with it's terrific passing gear at highway speed.
  • Options
    According to Edmunds, mine is a base LS model with the 3.5 engine, producting 211 hp and 214 torque, very similar to the intrigue; yet it'is 250 lbs heavier at 3675 lbs.
    May be that's why it feel more solid, but the driving dynamic and low end is noticable better than the intrigue.
    Somehow all these figures doeen't mean much anymore.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    GM's old pushrod engines have all their oomph down low. Just don't try to rev it very much. The Intrigue's Shortstar is one of the most satisfying engines I've ever driven -- if only GM had chosen to develop it beyond its first iteration.

Certainly the new Impala is a big improvement over its predecessor. But I just can't get past the name and the image of a rental special.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    FWIW, the new 3.6 DOHC V6, thanks to VVT, combines the best of both: off-the-line punch and passing power.

I've heard that the 3.9 OHV V6, also with VVT, is not too bad, but it still chokes at high revs. And in terms of NVH it's probably not as smooth as the 3.6.
  • Options
    I took my intrigue back tonight, driving through freezing rain and road, the intrigue doesn't feel ashamed or 2nd class compare to the impala; more like a car with different personality. It doesn't have the same driving dynamic and sure foot braking like the Impala, but it feels more sporty and agile like a low profile sports sedan.
    The repair bill, all cover by warranty thank God; comes to almost $4,000! The emission test (mandatory every 2 years) which is considered a cash grap by many comes to about $40.
    Overall i am glad to get my intrigue back and arrived home safely under this terrible weather condition.
  • Options
    classicbuffclassicbuff Member Posts: 18
    I've got an "00 GLS with an interesting fuel gage problem. When sitting at a stop, the needle goes down towards empty. When accelerating, it goes up towards full. In steady driving, it varies between 3/4 and 1/4. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    If you replace an Intrigue with an Impala, I think you have to go with an LTZ to get similar features (like traction control;/ABS ect) and power. It's a really nice car and the remote start, MP3 plug and OnStar would all be great upgrades.

By the way, all the Impala engines have VVT so power off the line and through the RPM range should be pretty good. When the 6-speed transmission is added it will be even better. If they can keep tweaking, Impala is the best car to replace my Intrigue. The other car I am liking more this year is the new Accord but the smaller trunk would be a major negative for me.
  • Options
    Actually, having only 2 valves per cylinder, the Impala's 3.9 V6 still struggles to breathe when revved.

So far, the only GM V6 engine which beats the Intrigue's 3.5 is the 3.6 V6. I drove a La Crosse with it and I was impressed, for it had the low-end punch of the 3.8 V6 and the highway pose of the 3.5 V6.

As the owner of a Bonneville with the 3.8 and of an Intrigue with the 3.5, I'll wait for the 3.6 to trickle down to other cars if I stick to GM, which is not a given.
  • Options
    Went in for an oil change (Mobil 1) this morning and the tech asked if I've ever had the fuel filter changed. Car has 53K on it. I said it was the original part. They suggested replacement (of course), but I figured since they were under the car, might as well. To relieve pressure in the system, they remnoved the gas cap! Simple!

I've been noticing a slight "stumble" when at red lights, but the tach needle never wavered. Now, it's gone. Guess it was plugged up!

Was out within 25 minutes, including the oil change and full-service car wash.

A month ago, I spent an entire Sunday going over the car. Wash, dry, clay, and then paint sealant. All products I use are from Griot's Garage (check them out on the web at www.griotsgarage.com). Orbital polisher made short work of the clay and sealer. Car came out of the car wash today looking like I had just finished it! Wax usually wears thin when exposed to commercial car washes, but this sealant held up!

May be trading it in on an off-lease Grand Marquis - seven year itch, you know. Want to return to V8 RWD.....
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    To relieve pressure in the system, they remnoved the gas cap! Simple!
    Simple? Yes. Effective? No!

For anyone considering this task.
    This will only relieve the pressure in the tank itself. The fuel lines, from the top of the fuel pump in the tank(check valve) to the fuel rail at the engine is pressurised.
    The fuel is regulated (depending on the car)at the rail near 40 PSI and the pump can be upwards to 80 psi. Gas can spray several feet without properly relieving the pressure first.

Nice you got rid of the stumble at stop lights.

take care.
  • Options
    Thinking of replacing stock tires with 235-55-16, this is slightly lower and wider than the stock 220-60-16; do you think i'll notice any improvment at all?
  • Options
    I dunno, I tested an LTZ back in October and I thought the 3.9L felt pretty darn good. The 3.6L would be preferred but I'm still not crazy about the Allure (LaCrosse) styling. If they re-do the front I may take another look but the big premium GM wants for the CXS would also have to be fixed! The Aura looked great at the Toronto show also, just not sure about how big it will be inside. I need a big car for the family.

I still love my Intrigue though. It's running great, I plan on keeping it for about 1-2 more years.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you. If only Buick dropped the Taurus front-end from the La Crosse and offered the 3.6 at a decent price level...

As there doesn't seem to be another roomy and affordable GM mid-size offered with the 3.6, now or in the near future, I'm afraid I'd take my business elsewhere if I were in the market.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    FWIW, sounds like there's going to be a "performance" version of the LaCrosse this fall called "Super" that will incorporate the 303-hp 5.3 V-8 with cylinder deactivation. Unfortunately, it should still use the old 4-speed automatic tranny. I would prefer this pushrod V-8 with a 6-speed auto (to reduce revs on the highway) to a high-strung cammer any day. Who knows when (if ever) GM will get around to putting their new 6-speed tranny in this chassis. This chassis is pretty old already (dating to '87, I believe) and it sounds like it'll be '09 or '10 before a replacement is offered.
  • Options
    gamefacegameface Member Posts: 9
    Saturn is coming out with the Aura in late 06 and word is
    it will have the 3.6.