Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ramanimramanim Member Posts: 8
    vinw, Yes - we bought ours last evening - not from autowest but from berkeley. 07 EX-L for 27450 (incl dest) + TTL = $30015. They said they will beat any quote I received - we talked over the phone, they offered this & I took it. Somebody had bought for a similiar price from Berkeley during TG (posted in this forum) and I figured it was not a bad deal. We had a trade-in we haggled over a bit & I thought I got a fair deal on that. How did you do at autowest? Did you buy - if not, check out Berkeley as well.
    This forum has definitely been very useful!

Wishing you happy holidays as well.
  • Options
    rythmrythm Member Posts: 12
    good to know about Berkeley...can you pls send me contact info thru email in my profile? appreciate the help.
  • Options
    inphoenixinphoenix Member Posts: 5
    ramanim,

Congratulations on your purchase. I have a question about the alarm system on van. When you were doing the final paperwork did they ask you about the 'upgrade to alarm' alongwith LoJack and other stuff? Here in AZ dealers seems to be charging about $500 for upgraded alarm which has a glass break sensor. I am just wondering if that is something which comes with the van or it really is an add on.

Thanks.
  • Options
    inphoenix, They were in a hurry to close the deal (obvious considering it was 4PM dec 24th) so no discussion of any upgrades, extended warranty etc. I did not want any of that and so was ok.
  • Options
    shawnxzshawnxz Member Posts: 11
    I went through the same story as I posted earlier. Finally I took the so-called "dealer-installed" alarm system with price not changed (They charged me this but removed this amount of money from my original base price so the total OTD price kept the same). I read the Odyssey manual which said that the Odyssey comes with a security system which protect againsts the break in of doors etc. You can find this alarm is working when you see the blinks of a red light on the lower right corner of the odometer panel. But I indeed found that on the dashboard below the odometer panel, there is a small piece of device with blinking green light. I'm not sure whether that is the so-called extra protection alarm system against break in of windows...I'm a very new owner of the Odyssey EX-L. Maybe somebody else has more knowledge about this. Hopefully, we both can get some more feedbacks from other guru.....
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Odysseys do not come with that small green blinking light from the factory so it is most likely associated with the additional alarm system.
  • Options
    mtbgomtbgo Member Posts: 15
    I got a quote from Sport Honda. They sell all Odyssey models $1000 below the invoice.

You were right. The next year meant coming January. I will probably wait until Honda offers special financing for Odyssey. Thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    shawnxzshawnxz Member Posts: 11
    thx for sharing your experience and have a happy holiday.
  • Options
    bulbbulb Member Posts: 5
    I drove the van home last Thursday - promised to post the final price here, but have been busy since then.

I have a 98 Nissan 200SX SE to trade in, the dealer gave me $2200 (my own estimate is about $2800 to $3200; KBB trade in value is about $2900 for fair condition).

Dealer's formula worked as the following:
    $29,286 (including destination)
    - $ 2,200 (trade-in-value)
    = $27,286
    + $ 1,364.30 (5% State sales tax)
    + $ 297 (fees: documentation, title,plate & Inspection)
    = $28,947.30 (OTD including trade-in)

The without-trade-in price including destination should be within $30,000 to $30,500, OTD price should be around $31,797 to $32,322 (5% tax rate).

The buying is not really as what I expected - since I got in the trap of the $29,486 price including trade-in in the last phone negotiation. (before I never mentioned any trade-in and was able to negotiate price to $30,000) After I was in the dealer's store, the trade-in value was offer from $400 (funny!). After about playing one hour's regular tricks on me, the sales manager offered me $2000 and no more. I didn't accept and walked out the door. Called another dealer who promised to beat any price, unfortunately they could not do better. After wandering in a super market for about 30 minutes, called the dealer again and talked to the lady who I negotiated on the phone. I complained about the price with trade-in trick they played on me and also asked if they can do better than $2000. She said No very firmly at first. But one minute later, she called me again and suggested me to go in to talk again. This time, they asked me to vlaue my trade-in. Since I was tired and lost my back-up (the dealer I called after walking out), I just asked $2,200 and held it very firmly (even after they introduced me to the general manager).

I think the extensive research I did before hand and my 5 years experience in business definitely helped in the unexpected show room negotiation. My best target is about $300 below what I have paid ($30,000 price - $3,000 trade-in), but I think I already got a pretty good deal. When I picked up the van, the sales manager offered me a free oil change (I guess they offer that to any new car buyer anyway) to buy the general manager a 30-packs cook light. I acutally bought two - one for the general manager and the other for all other people involved in my deal. I was happy to drive the van home - at my birthday.

The van is without any accessories and I ordered cargo tray, mats and etc together with extended warranty today from CollegeHill Honda as suggested by the thread in this forum.

Bottom line: You should be able to get the price including destination within $30,000 to $30,500 (I had three dealers left in this price range) in MA. If you are in CT, drive to MA - the prices of the dealers in CT are at least $1,000 higher.
  • Options
    ellieandmommyellieandmommy Member Posts: 9
    My price for the 07 touring w/N and R was $34,839 plus $45 doc fee and $73 license fee. That's it! Plus tax of course which was $2462.00
    And did I mention mud flaps and wheel locks were included in that?
  • Options
    stuman168stuman168 Member Posts: 27
    I am just wondering how come people are able to get below invoice on 2007 ody touring. how much is the hold back???
    So far I get 400 over invoice.
    Ellieand mommy do you have a trade in with your ody purchase??
    stu
  • Options
    napfairynapfairy Member Posts: 1
    Before we got our Odyssey, i did "extensive" research on this forum and got tons of helpful information from you guys. Finally drove home an Odyssey EX, with slate green metallic color. Thank you all!

We went to mckinney honda.
    It's a quite nice experience.
  • Options
    07odysseynav07odysseynav Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

recently I have bought a 07 EXL with NAV and DVD RES for
    30566 + TTL from a dealer in Houston TX - Russell and Smith Honda. I contacted the internet sales manager, he sent me the above number and a OTD -> 32780

Walked in and picked up our van, pretty nice experiance. I live in Austin TX , I could not get this price from local dealers. I got quote for 31400 for EXL from Austin Dealer -
    [i think i needed a lot of skill/negotiation to get them to offer a market competaive quote, so i stayed away - dealership starts with H---- ]

A 3 hour drive to Houston is worth every minute and penny.
    For a change , car buying experiance was quite good.
  • Options
    potato1potato1 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the delay charky, Darrow Honda (North side of Milw) has really been pricing agressively.
  • Options
    Holdback is 3 percent. As always, prices are a function of local market conditions.
  • Options
    spartyodyspartyody Member Posts: 4
    To all bay area buyers,

Can we start a group buy altogether? I know somebody did this before when they're shopping for a Acura MDX, they got great deals at $4000 below invoice.

Please let me know.

Thanks and happy holiday!
  • Options
    rythmrythm Member Posts: 12
    count me in...my contact info is in my profile. tx
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    I think those prices were for 2006 MDX models. For SF Bay Area I would recommend checking Stockton Honda Internet folks. You can find out the details of the Tax, Title, and License at the CA DMV website (right down to the dollar.)
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    It has been my best experience to deal ONLY with the internet folks and not the sales floor people. They will not give you the same deal. I went to test drive a bunch of vehicles and one internet dealer contact could not give me his quoted price since I spoke to the floor person. Just something to consider.
  • Options
    dadwithvandadwithvan Member Posts: 4
    Just drove home our new black/ivory EX-L with nav/res today. I went in looking for an EX-L with DVD and was given a good price on the same thing with NAV. I GUESS because they had it on the lot - and the one I wanted without NAV would have been needed to be brought in. I had invoice price on the EX-L, but thought their offer was solid on the EX-L with Nav and DVD. One still feels like they got screwed - but I was happy. I am in Minneapolis and went to Brookdale Honda - sales guy was a pretty good guy. Good luck.
  • Options
    sfbay1sfbay1 Member Posts: 1
    Secured the Out of The Door Price with a few dealers before going inside the dealer. My final deal (OTD) is 34,000.

A rule of thumb for CA buyers: the other fees are approximately 9.6% of the base price. Or simply use 10% for fast calculation.

Recommend: Oakland, Berkeley. I bought from one of them, but feel the internet folks in both dealers are frank and fast.

:shades:
  • Options
    tfortouringtfortouring Member Posts: 1
    Ok I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Touring R&N
    I'm in DC area, but the dealer is in North Carolina.

Total price including fright is $35,958, including Docfee, Mudflaps and paint pin stripe(NC area dealer standard)Tax and Registration extra.

Should I push a little harder on this deal or not? Dealer is getting vehicle from another dealer, and there aren't any in my preferred color (midnight blue pearl).

Any advice or input?
    Steve
  • Options
    arizonanarizonan Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 EX-L w/o RES and Nav in Phoenix area. After getting email quotes from 6 dealers, talked back and forth on the phone with internet sales people at 2 dealers with lowest quotes (Tempe Honda and Honda of Superstition Springs). They both had the color I wanted in stock. Ended up driving to Tempe Honda - $30,800 OTD ($27725 price & dest + $2232 sales tax + $544 lic fee + $299 doc/title fee). That is $873 below invoice before any trade-in negotiation. The internet sales guy came down another $300 to make up for the difference between their trade-in offer and what I wanted for my old van (he didn't want to lose my business).

The finance guy tried to sell me the Lojack security system for $500 dealer had already installed on the van. I told him to take it off, not sure how to check if they did or not.

Overall very pleased with the purchase process. Van came with door edge guards and mud guards installed.
    :)
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like you got a great deal. OTD here in San Antonio runs between $34,256 and 34,700 so don't blame you for driving to Houston to get that kind of deal
  • Options
    honda2007honda2007 Member Posts: 2
    Berkley Honda quoted $27750 + TTL for EX-L. Please let me know if you are able to get a group going. My information is in my profile.
  • Options
    gaurushabgaurushab Member Posts: 1
    Just got an 07 EXL with Nav and RES Slate Green with Olive interior for 33.7k OTD (actually 34.1k including all weather mats and cargo mat and doc fee).

I dealt with several dealers in South FL. Here's my experience:

Rick Case Honda - good dealer with great warranty, arrogant salesman.

Holman Honda - Internet manager lowballed and then didn't have the car.

Brickel Honda - Sales Manager made me drive 40 miles for a car he didnt have. Internet manager apoligized and called the sales manager an [non-permissible content removed].

Beach Honda - made me drive, didnt have the car. manager was apoligetic.

Braman Honda - had the car but were rude over the phone with a take it or leave it attitude.

Maroone Honda of Hollywood - had the car but they wouldn't come down below 34.7k

Maroone Honda of Miami - said they would get the car from the Hollywood branch and sell it to me for 34.1k but when i went for the paperwork, the manager came by and jacked up the price by $700 saying the salesperson goofed up!

Largo Honda - I called them last night. The internet manager told me he didnt have the car but could ty to get one. We settled on the price. Today they got the car from the Hollywood dealer and delivered it to my house today for 33.7k!!!!

I am off to play with the NAV....
  • Options
    car_enthucar_enthu Member Posts: 17
    I am in the Chicago area and got a $29,700 OTD deal (incl. TTL) on an EX-L. Does this sound OK ?

The invoice on this is $28,598 and I got it for $27,398

TTL, doc fee, plates etc accounted for the remainder (7.25% tax)

anyone from the chicago area who can chime in to let me know if this is OK ? thx !
  • Options
    baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    That sounds like a great deal for an EX-L. What dealership did you work with?
  • Options
    bayboy8688bayboy8688 Member Posts: 11
    are you in the bay area of CA?
  • Options
    vinwvinw Member Posts: 10
    ramanim got one from berkeley 07 EX-L for 27450 (incl dest) + TTL = $30015 Dec 24, 2006.
    so if more people can work together, should be able to get better deal.

I tried to check your info, but ur email is private. Can you see other info online? It looks like several are looking for EX_L now.

I will go to my office in berkeley on Jan 2, 07. But my wife thinks Toyota Sienna is better, Have you guys done more research on this?
  • Options
    stuman168stuman168 Member Posts: 27
    here in OR my best price so far is the same with you without sny option just the car and destination charge.
    you may want to look at odyclub.com they also have discussion on price. I have seen people bought touring with nav under 35k but that's selling at invoice - holdback. I guess some dealer have quota to meet
  • Options
    Hi,

We have a group working together. Please let me know your email addressv(display your email address) if you are interested.
  • Options
    car_enthucar_enthu Member Posts: 17
    motorwerks in barrington, very easy and nice to work with. I stopped by the dealership once for 5 minutes, took the brochure. The sales person gave me his business card, as well as that of his boss. I just emailed them later and got that quote.
  • Options
    My information is in my profile now. if you still can not see it, please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    r28777r28777 Member Posts: 2
    I had really bad experience with david mcdavid honda at dallas. The saleman told me the price and send me the vin number for 2006 Odyssey. And he screw me up when we drove there from Austin. 3 hours driving. And he and his manager appologize and said they made a honest mistake. They eat their words. I am so frustrated. Any suggestion/recommendation I should do at this case? I think they just regret their offer.
  • Options
    hondafan926hondafan926 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any advice given. :) We are thinking about buying the Honda Odyssey EX-L with Rear entertainment. However, we are roughly $5,000 upside-down on a car loan right now (we have a 2003 mitsubishi montero sport...bad resale values!) Should we just keep the montero sport and pay it off? I really need the extra space that the odyssey can provide (montero sport only has 5-pass seating). Another option: should we go for deals that offer $5,000 off a certain car which could possibly help offset the upside-down value. We are fairly new to the car-buying process and do not want to make the same mistakes we made with the montero sport. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    vinw, I can give you the name of the guys I talked to in Berkeley if you want to contact them on behalf of the group.
  • Options
    ramanim, that will be great. Could you please send to me or post it here? thanks. see my profile for my info.
  • Options
    Have you received my email?
  • Options
    stradi2stradi2 Member Posts: 3
    Can I join in the bay area deal as well? I'm looking to get an EXL.
  • Options
    hondajapanhondajapan Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to buy a Honda Odessy 2007 EXL with RES in ATlanta GA. Whats the average price fellow members paying in Atlanta. Is there any one else looking for the same in Atlanta so that we can work togather?
    Thanks
  • Options
    $5000 upside down on a 4 year old vehicle? That's about the time most folks (if financed for 60 months) are in the black.

You can't "offset" this in the manner you're thinking - at some point you have to pay the piper. Buying at MSRP when the market price is $5000 less means that you're still five grand in the hole.

That said, buying something that depreciates more slowly (like an Odyssey) does have some logic. Suggest you focus on meeting your needs (as opposed to wants) and get an LX or EX rather than an EX-L RES and save several thousand dollars. Buying a "lesser" model at current (around invoice) prices will (in a certain sense), "offset" your Montero deficiency.
  • Options
    rdworski1rdworski1 Member Posts: 20
    I went to Honda website and quickly got 6 email quotes from other dealers. I printed the lowest quote which included wheel locks, mud guards, door protection strips and pinstripping. I brought the quote this week to my salesman (not in internet sales) who promised to match any local dealer internet offer and for the second time in 2 years he did. I don't know if I got the lowest price but I got the deal done very quickly and was happy with what I paid. Price was about $24,900 plus freight, options listed above tax and titles. Total was $27.3. I was done in about an hour and on my way home. This dealership has 2 of the top salesmen in the country. Each sells over 300 cars per year so they are very efficient. And they would not sell so many cars if they were not good to their customers.
  • Options
    Please display your email so that we can contact you. We are trying to finalize a deal, so please respond quickly.
  • Options
    odyssey76odyssey76 Member Posts: 1
    I got an offer of $1600 BELOW Invoice for a NEW 2006 Touring model with DVD. Note this is a 2006 model. Is this a fair price or should I negotiate for something lower?

Currently the offered price is 15.7% off MSRP ( same as $1600 off invoice). Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Options
    stradi2stradi2 Member Posts: 3
    Made the change. Thanks.
  • Options
    While this is a good price (and it is possible, though unlikley, that you can do better), it may make more sense to go with an '07 for a bit more. Shop for an '07 price (depending on where you are, you may find one for less than invoice) and then decide.
  • Options
    milenkodmilenkod Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a '07 Touring + NAV + RES before New Years in the SF Bay Area. What can I expext to pay OTD considering the last week of the year? Any holdbacks, incentives I can count on?
  • Options
    njcarbuyer123njcarbuyer123 Member Posts: 1
    To the forum:
    I closed a deal yesterday on a Honda Odyssey EXL with RES and NAV. I found this discussion group very helpful in the process to establish some nationwide benchmarks, so I want to give back to the group by providing pricing information for the NJ area.

Not including the vehicle selection and test drive activity, the process followed was quick and relatively painless. Start to finish was under 3 days, starting on Tuesday Dec. 26 and concluding on Thursday Dec. 28 when I drove off in the car, and was conducted entirely on the phone and by e-mail.

By the time I got to final round of pricing, the 3 dealers involved all ended up pretty close, so if you move between now and the end of the year, you can probably get this type of pricing from a reasonable collection of dealers in the NJ area, and perhaps even better if you push it further. I don't give specific dealer names here, for that reason, but I checked with about 8 in the process. It's important to note that in this process I did not share one dealer's price with another. That tends to cluster all the prices near one dealer's number, not necessarily the lowest possible price. However, by checking this forum, you can know whether you're getting close to the limit of what can be had.

I give two prices, one is cost before tax including destinaton charges. There were NO additional options included on any of the cars, just the standard EX-L + RES / NAV trim line. The second price is the 'out-the-door (OTD)' price, which includes tax (7% in NJ), documentary fee, Tire Tax (in NJ is $7.50 per 4 wheeled vehicle), and motor vehicle fees (4 years of which are loaded up front in NJ to keep the state solvent)

Dealer 1:
    Pre-tax + Destination: $31,062
    OTD = $33,875.84

Dealer 2:
    Pre-tax + Destination: $31,013
    OTD = $33,814.41

Dealer 3:
    Pre-tax + Destination: $30,867
    OTD = $33,498.19

Dealer 3 was also my local dealer and also the place I did the test drive, etc., etc., so he won the business.

Good luck.
  • Options
    hondajapanhondajapan Member Posts: 15
    Can you e-mail the delears ID to me.
    Your e-mail is private