Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    malymalyhomemalymalyhome Member Posts: 3
    Just get my 2007 EX-L RES for $26,150 + $1300 7yr/120K extended warranty...OTD $29,910 :)

The sticker stated remote entry with security system inluded but the salesman told me to pay $895 to activate the feature. I didn't pay since I believe the system is installed in my car I can find someone to turn it on cheaper. Did anyone do that before?
  • Options
    dacubsdacubs Member Posts: 6
    First time reading these boards, but my wife did all her negotiating on e-mail between 6 dealers. FInally got 3 dealers within $700 of each other. I think we did well, but came across this board and was trying to see what others paid for a 2008 EX. We got a final base price of $24,475.

We were a little annoyed though, once we got there, the dealer wanted to charge us $991 extra for their special package (pinstripes, trunk cover, floor mats, etc), we said no, and then they wanted us to pay $199 for the pinstriping (which we did not like and wish it was not on there), we said no, so then they said they would throw it in for free since it was not worth the hassle for them to take off the pinstriping. We did not get any of the extended waranties (any thoughts on these) or rust protection, etc (thoughts on this as well??)

All in all, our OTD was around $27,400...too high, too low, or about right...this is in Chicago, IL

Thanks
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    These baloney add-on charges must be pretty common in the area because my Chicago area dealership was concerned about price matching another low offer because they said they were not putting in added crap and the other dealer might be in order to make the base price that low. I took delivery yesterday on a touring, wasn't offerred or would have paid for paint protectants, scotchguard, etc,, but after owning a 99 Odyssey with Honda Care extended warranty I will do the same for this one.
  • Options
    davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    CTGrain - where in Milwaukee did you buy it from?
    Used to live there and am curious.
    Thanks.
    Dave
  • Options
    gavanmomgavanmom Member Posts: 32
    If you want an extended warranty check out Bernardi warranty at www.bernardiwarranty.com, they have some of the best prices and it is the same that the dealer would sell you for double the price. Really consider it....we are glad we did, after 10000 miles and three transmissions, there is no telling how long our 2007 EX will last. We have just filed for the Lemon Law because of all of the problems we've had with ours and if it gets denied, we are glad we have the warranty to fall back on.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Your price sounds fine. If you don't like the pinstripping, you can use a hairdryer to heat it up. It should peel off easily but might leave a bit of an imprint depended on whether the adhesive has soaked into the clearcoat.
  • Options
    cmthovcmthov Member Posts: 5
    How did you get this price? I've had good experiences with Hendrick in Woodbridge, but you've made a good case for Landmark.

BTW, I'm a dad and beltway warrior whose beater for the past couple years has been a 2000 Grand Caravan (at least it's a Sport with a spoiler).
  • Options
    mercer08mercer08 Member Posts: 24
    DaCubs,
    Congrats on a great price. How did you do it? Did that 24,475 include destination? If not, then you paid 2k less than invoice which is unheard of in the Seattle area. Even if you add 600 bucks for destination, 25k is still 1800 less than invoice (or atleast the invoice that is posted on kbb.com). Congrats!
  • Options
    dacubsdacubs Member Posts: 6
    No, it did not include destination ($635.00)...mostly got e-mail quotes from a few places and went back to each one with the best offer until we had 2 dealers at $24,475 and 1 at $24,975...we finally settled on the lowest price that had the color we wanted (silver). It helped that they were a high volume dealer, but I'm sure they thought they would make some money on the back-end with all the "extras"
  • Options
    momonwheelsmomonwheels Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we just purchased our car and this is what we paid.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Ex-L, RES:

$29011 2008 Odyssey Ex-l w/ RES
    635 dest
    2075.22 tax (7% in New Jersey)
    334 dmv
    269 doc
    7.50 tire tax
    $32331.72 out the door

We purchased from a dealer in NJ. They were great. We sent several dealers quote request and they were the second least expensive quote. The first dealer did not want to give us a quote breakdown so we went to the second best quote. So, far the expierence has been awesome. Dealer was VIP Honda, and the finance guy was super nice (not pushy and flexible with their finance rate 6%)
  • Options
    zeeman69zeeman69 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Congrats on your new Oddy. I think you got a good price as I am no where close to it. Can you please share the name of your salesperson, I'll appreciate. My email is ZeeMan69@Comcast.net
  • Options
    xierxier Member Posts: 99
    Anyone purchase an Oddy in NCAL? I'm looking at the Touring w/out pax and from what I have gained from these forum's a good deal would be 35K. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased one of these or 08 Oddy in general from NCAL dealers. I would have considered the non Touring but I must have the memory seats to accomodate the large spread in height between me and the misses. Seems a bit silly that you have to buy the full-up loaded model just to get memory seats but oh well...

Also - whats the best color :-)

Thx.
  • Options
    I noticed that nearly all of the Oddy's at the dealer had a dealer added option for the Proction package - it was nearly 2K. Does anyone know what this is?
  • Options
    larrybowlslarrybowls Member Posts: 16
    This is called the K-Y special!!
  • Options
    beaumont1beaumont1 Member Posts: 1
    In Beaumont, Texas at Mike Smith they knocked it down to $34,554 I believe.

My wife just drove it out.

FYI, looks like we got a deal ...

ETA: No Pax.

ETA: Just got home, actual price was 34,594.05 before tax & $177.55 of fees.
  • Options
    duke87nuke1duke87nuke1 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry - I could have been clearer on that. I paid $31,544 plus the $599 dealer fee, plus tax, and plus $100 for tag.
  • Options
    cabguycabguy Member Posts: 1
    Northern California - 2008 Odyssey EXL RES + NAV:

Thanks very much to the people who have posted on this thread. We pulled the trigger today on a 2008 Odyssey EXL, with RES and NAV (Nimbus Gray). I used the donkeypunch method - I cut/pasted donkey's standard email and sent it to my five closest dealers in the south bay area of Northern California. Time between the first email and the final purchase was approx. 24 hours.

Of the five dealers, only one would not play ball - Honda of Stevens Creek. I exchanged a few emails with Stevens Creek, but the salesperson said he would only give me an offer over the telephone. I didn't bother. If the Internet sales manager doesn't want to negotiate via email, then I don't see the point of having an Internet sales manager.

The other dealers were all very competitive. The quotes were very close to each other, and all made offers that were better than invoice less the $1K dealer incentive. Here's the deal we went with:

Base price (includes dest.) - $31,462.74
    Doc fee - $55
    Sales tax (8.75%): $2,757
    DMV filing fee: $28
    License fees: $277.75
    Final/OTD: $34,581.29

If I had to guess, I might have been able to shave a little bit more off the price if I really wanted to be aggressive, but I was satisfied with the price that was offered. Under the circumstances (beginning of the year and a 2008 model), I think the OTD price that was offered was reasonable. Thanks again to everyone who has posted and shared their experience in this thread - it was very helpful.
  • Options
    georgialogeorgialo Member Posts: 2
    I never bought a car before by myself but I think I did okay. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_shades.gif

PRICE $ 27,857 (Incl. destination fee)
    DEALER FEE $ 474 (doc. fee, splash guards, pinstripe)
    Title, Reg, Tag $ 42

SUBTOTAL $ 28,373 - trade in + tax
  • Options
    georgialogeorgialo Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 EX-L in Alpharetta, GA for $27,887 (Inc. destination fee) plus $520 dealer fees (document fee, tags, title, reg.) with mudflaps and pinstripe thrown in - plus tax (7%) for a total walk out of $30,395
  • Options
    rocempirerocempire Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm also ready to purchase the 2008 touring no dvd, in Ncal. Have you been able to find any lower priced dealers. Just starting my pricing project today. I usually call 20-30 dealers through out the state and then go from there. If you feel inclined send a post, I will do the same with my pricing.
  • Options
    Hi CabGuy - would you mind sending me the name of the dealer and if possible sales person you delt with... I'm looking for similar model in Ncal as well. xiermail@gmail.com

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey rocempire -

I'm just starting the search as well. I was not aware you could get a 08 touring w/out DVD... I thought all Touring in 08 came with DVD...let me know as that would make a difference when I sent out my email's. Look forward to hear what you find out!!
  • Options
    You can't - all '08 Tourings are equipped with nav and DVD. The only choice between them is whether to get PAX tires or not.
  • Options
    donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    "We were a little annoyed though, once we got there, the dealer wanted to charge us $991 extra for their special package (pinstripes, trunk cover, floor mats, etc), we said no, and then they wanted us to pay $199 for the pinstriping (which we did not like and wish it was not on there), we said no, so then they said they would throw it in for free since it was not worth the hassle for them to take off the pinstriping. We did not get any of the extended waranties (any thoughts on these) or rust protection, etc (thoughts on this as well??) "

Let me guess...Ohare Honda? There's several dealers in Chicagoland area that are notorious for a lowball quote to be piled on with destination and all the extra garbage when you show up (stripes, undercoat, weather package, door guards....ie about $100 in dealer cost maked up to $1000. Qualify and weed out all that b.s. (or in the case of destination, maybe not b.s. but qualify whether its in the price or not) and then show up with it in writing.
  • Options
    Thx for the confirmation cccompson - I thought that was the case based on configuring the vehicle on the Honda website and kbb.com etc... When we took our test drive our sales agent told us that the Touring came w/out DVD - and that it was an option I told him that he probably needed to do a bit more homework on the 08's.
  • Options
    berkut027berkut027 Member Posts: 22
    There hasn't been a lot of traffic here from Seattle, so here's a report...

On Tuesday night, I leased a 2008 Touring without PAX for $500 over invoice. That doesn't sound particularly good, but there are a couple of additional factors to consider:

1. Prices on leased cars are running about $1000 more than prices on purchased cars--the $1000 marketing support from Honda does not apply to leases. 1 other dealer explicitly said that they would go $1000 lower if I purchased rather than leased, but with the .00113 money factor (equivalent to 2.71% APR), the lease terms are too good to pass up.

2. I had a trade (2001 Chrysler Town & Country) that was worth about $7800, by my assessment. I was offered $7500 for it by another dealer (as a trade on the Odyssey) and my local Chrysler dealer said to expect $7000-$7500. That was back in December with very used-up tires. I put a new set of tires on last weekend (my cost $500) so I figure that adds $300 to the market value of the car on trade-in, giving me the $7800 market value number. Hinshaw's gave me $8500 for my trade, or $700 over my expected market value. Offers for my trade from other dealers were $6500 (before new tires) and $7200 (after new tires) so I think I did pretty well to get $8500.

3. We were adamant about getting the car in Mocha Metallic and I have only heard of 3 2008 Tourings without PAX in this color in the Seattle area since we started looking back at end of December. Hinshaw's had to do a dealer swap with a Tacoma dealer to get this color, so I wasn't buying a car out of stock. If you want a white, black, silver, Nimbus Gray or Slate Green car, those are easy to find in stock.

Combining factors 1 ($1000 for lease) and 2 ($700 for above-market trade), I see $500 over invoice on this deal as the equivalent of

$500 over invoice minus $1700 = $1200 under invoice

had I purchased the car.

That said, I think prices are going down--at end of December, I would have been happy at $500 under invoice on a purchase/$500 over invoice on a lease (not including any above or below market pricing on a trade). By end of January, I expected to do $500-$1000 better than that. End of February, I would probably be looking for $500-$1000 better than January prices.

If you're looking in Chicago or Maryland and don't have a trade to muddy the waters, I think you can purchase an Odyssey for $2000 under invoice or lease one for $1000 under invoice. Dealers are not as generous in the Seattle area--they've all told me that there are regional differences in the amounts the pay Honda (or get back in incentives) and apparently the Pacific Northwest is one of the more expensive regions for the dealers. Not sure if that is true, but I've heard it enough to think that it probably is. I think $1000-$1500 under invoice on a purchase is a very good deal in this area.

I could probably have done a bit better had I not had a trade, not wanted to lease and not insisted on a hard-to-find color, but I figure that I've been at this for 5 weeks and have gotten to the point in negotiations with 3 different dealers where they let me walk out of the dealership and then didn't call the next day, so I don't think I left much money on the table.

All in all, I was pleased with Hinshaw. There were some minor shenanigans with unwanted but already-installed wheel locks and mud guards, and then with getting my check for the trade (I opted to take the trade in cash rather than as a cap cost reduction), but they were reasonable to deal with. My salesman was very accomodating and I think did go the extra mile to go above market on my trade--I'll be glad to share his name if anyone wants it.

This is going to be my wife's car and she really likes it. And I'm happy with the deal, although I probably did spend too much time negotiating with dealers that I ultimately didn't do business with--that was more about the value of the trade than the price of the Odyssey.

Hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    Hi Berkut,
    Thanks for sharing your buying experience. Sounds like you did a good job to me.

Does anyone have a link to the website that lists the additional features that come with each Odyssey trim as you move up from LX to Ex to touring? I thought someone had posted that URL in this forum a few weeks ago, but i can't find it.
  • Options
    brucemnbrucemn Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Nimbus Gray Metallic, w/o Pax, in the Philly suburbs for $35,499, plus tax (6% in Pa.) and tags.

I emailed about 8-10 dealers and received quotes from most of them within 24 hours. The lowest quote was $35,699 and the highest was almost $1000 more. After getting the email quotes, I went to three dealers closest to my house and got each to go as low as $35,499. I went with the one that had the Nimbus Gray Metallic I wanted; the other two said it would take 3-5 days to get one in that color.

Frankly, I got the feeling that if I wanted to keep negotiating, I could have got an even better deal from some of the dealers (maybe another $100 or so off, or some dealer-installed accessories thrown in), but after 5 days of haggling via email, phone and in person, I was tired of the car buying experience, figured $35,499 was a good enough price, and was happy to drive away with the exact car I wanted.
  • Options
    iwantvaniwantvan Member Posts: 9
    I bought the 2008 Touring w/o Pax in DC Metro on 1/30. Price included the dark wood trim kit as the only accessory. Color: Silver w gray interior.

635 - freight
    89 - Processing fee
    1,433 - tax (VA)
    158 - tax, title, reg (VA)

This was at sport honda. I really liked dealing with them.
  • Options
    raj1raj1 Member Posts: 27
    I live in the same area. Who was the sales person? I used the email quotes method (donkeypunch method) but this dealer sent a quote close to 32000 without any mention of the freebees or any great financing rate. In fact, most of the dealers here have quotes of around 32000 (incl dest) for EXL with DVD and NAV. Is there any follow up negotiation involved. One more question - 1 dealer mentioned that bluetooth is statndard on 2008 Odyssey equipped with NAV. Is that true?
  • Options
    larrybowlslarrybowls Member Posts: 16
    Bluetooth is standard only on the touring. Great price quote, I paid $32,332 for the R&N in Dark Cherry Pearl. The financial manager quoted us 6.25% for 66 months at first and after recieving our paperwork from the bank we got 5.35% which lowered our monthly payment by $28!
  • Options
    lali3lali3 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks to all and tara, finally bought on 2/1 EXL (w/RES+NAV) Silver color. I live in PA and bought in chicago

30376 (Base)
    635 DEST
    300 SPLASH GUARD+ cargo MAT+WHEEL LOCKs
    150 Doc Fee
    15 Tax
    10 (One way tag)
    608 (6 yr, 75k warranty)
    32094 Total

Interest at 4.75% for 60 months :):):)

I will be paying PA tax myself

If you guys need more details, contact me at lali3@carspace.com

Thanks
  • Options
    jhutchinsjhutchins Member Posts: 15
    I also just had a good experience at Sport Honda in MD. For a dark blue touring with no pax, their price (obtained via e-mail) was 34415, plus destination, plus 89 dollar document fee (plus of course tax and tags).
  • Options
    gfagorigfagori Member Posts: 4
    Picking up the vehicle tomorrow morning.
    I have the same quote from two seperate dealerships in MD.

2008 EX-L
    Base: 25725.00
    Processing Fee: 100.00
    Dest: 635
    No dealer installed options.
    I won't mention tax and tags cuz that depends on where you are,
    but total OTD is ~$27500.00 and change.

Damn good deal IMO - I don't think I can get it any lower. Its taken almost
    3 days to bring the price down to this and I'm mentally exhausted.
  • Options
    Your price suggests that reports of two grand marketing support on '08s are true.

Perhaps somebody can explicitly confirm this.
  • Options
    That sounds plausable. Prior to yesterday, the lowest I could get the price
    down was 27125.00 - base on the EX-L. Dealers called me yesterday morning
    and dropped their price quotes down to 25725. I managed to get another 100
    off of that price.
  • Options
    dishiki1dishiki1 Member Posts: 3
    We were not considering a new car, but with two kids under two, we are looking into the Odyssey. I jus received an internet quote from a Honda dealership.

You can own your new 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L R&N for: $31,250.00 Internet Price Including Destination Charge factory equipped

Wondering if I should pull the trigger or try to get them to come down a bit.
  • Options
    Curiousity got the better of me. My salesman confirmed it this morning. Dealer marketing support on '08 Odysseys went to $2000 yesterday (at least in Ohio).
  • Options
    bestpriceplsbestpricepls Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to finish up on a Touring w/ out PAX for $34,350 (includes destination) which is $1,500 less than prices I was getting just a couple days ago. I'm buying from Mt. Kisco Honda in Westchester County, NY. A fairly efficient process.

Hope is helps.
  • Options
    jsiggejsigge Member Posts: 1
    Great price! Would you mind sharing the name of the dealership? or the zip code? (so I can select to get quotes from these dalers). Did you include any options, or was this the base EX-L model?
  • Options
    cclcalcclcal Member Posts: 20
    that's a great price - $25625?!
    I was offered $25,913 for an 07 EX-L. They should give me the 07 for 23K.

Which dealership gave you that price for the 08?

thanks!
  • Options
    Sport Honda in MD is where I picked it up from today.
    The process was very smooth and they were very professional.
    I HIGHLY reccomend them. Initially I went via the internet quote and worked it down
    over the phone from there. I beleive I got the absolute rock bottom price on this for right now.
    Got the base EX-L - no options whatsoever - in Mocha / Ivory - dont need anything else, the vehicle comes with everything I want.
    I may go back and get some accessories later on - and the sale person mention that she could get me a break on those too.

The finance dept. beat the lowest rate I had (5% from my credit union) -
    got 4.8% for 60 months from them.

They were a pleasure to deal with, I would most certainly buy another vehicle
    from them again when I'm in the market later this year for an Accord Coupe or
    S2000. Ok, who am I kidding. It'll be the Accord Coupe.
  • Options
    cclcalcclcal Member Posts: 20
    thanks!
    I'm in California though, I told a local dealer about this price and he just said "go and buy it, goodbye"

Can you fwd me the actual internet quote so I can show a dealer it's for real?
  • Options
    Sure - what email address do you want me to foward the information?
    I got the same type of response from several other dealers in this area
    who were trying to buy from them. I, ofcouse, did just that. A couple even
    contacted me later to find out if it was for real. Makes me happy to know I
    got the best deal I possibly could.
  • Options
    After several weeks of negotiating with a dozen dealers over email, I purchased a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES in Seattle Area on super bowl sunday. Here's the breakdown:

Base price including destination: $31,246
    Dealer installed accessories included in the base price of $31,246
    MoonRoof Visor
    Fog Lights
    Splash Guards
    Door Edge Guards
    Wheel lip molding
    Wheel Locks
    The cost of the car and accesories were not listed separately on the paperwork, but the total cost of the accessories (installed) is about $1,250 which would put the base price of the car (incl dest) at around 30k. The only extras were Tax, Doc Fee, Registration (9.2%, $50, $190). The dealership and salesman that I ended up making the purchase from were incredibly easy to work with, honest, and very fast at getting me out the door to watch the 2nd half of the game.
  • Options
    mav888mav888 Member Posts: 1
    also in cali, so. cal... been quoted 35800 and that was b4 the new incentive honda is kicking in on the odysseys, so I'm sure it is now around 34.xxx. I will email that dealer and see. was about to buy, but baby came last thursday, so been busy with the new baby instead.... need to pick up my car shopping again next week
  • Options
    dvsuttondvsutton Member Posts: 48
    My Honda Odyssey is JUNK. Have fun sitting in the service bay waiting room for your transmission to be rebuilt. Your rotors being replaced. Have fun waiting for your sliding door to be put back ot its track after it falls off on your kids foot. Your dash is going to rattle like a gumball machine. Your salesman is going to hide when he see's you come in again and again for service work on your pathetic pile of GARBAGE HONDA. JUST LIKE MINE>
  • Options
    acs62cacs62c Member Posts: 1
    I am just starting the process of looking to buy a 2008 Odyssey LX (base). Any recent experience with Rochester or Twin cities area dealers? Ideas for realistic prices to expect? Thanks!
  • Options
    adamr1adamr1 Member Posts: 43
    This is a great price for the van. Can you email me the name of your salesperson at VIP Honda? My email is adamshop@optonline.net. Thank you.
  • Options
    rocempirerocempire Member Posts: 3
    Honda Touring, Loaded just purchased in Bay Area, (Oakland Honda)
    Out the door price, 38,700
    price included, splash gaurds, door edge gaurds, thick fenderwells, air deflector, floor mats, cargo tray. I added interior dark wood trim $259 and towing package $1287 also finaced 20 grand at 4.99%.
    Is this a good deal ?? After my research it seems like a good deal, any input would be helpful. Thank you :