Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bobalewbobalew Member Posts: 2
    Holy Wow! That's a great deal! I'm doing a search on the same vehicle ('08 Touring w/o PAX) and was going to shoot for $36,500. My research was based on Invoice, CarsDirect, and a few internet bids. Also knowing that dealers are getting $1000 back for each vehicle they sell, I'm now going to low ball big time. Now if I can only get the Baltic Blue which is absent from all dealerships in Southern California.

Thanks for your post!
  • Options
    hdghdg Member Posts: 9
    What is the donkey punch method?
  • Options
    miguel4miguel4 Member Posts: 12
    Too many buyers not doing the proper homework on a new Odyssey EX-l. I have seen several buyers paying no more than 24,000 for a brand new 2008. Loaded with navigation and entertainment system for no more than $25,000. No dealer will be so stupid to post this prices on the internet. You need to get out, arm yourself with the evidence, and stick to your price, but the internet and e-quotes are not the way to get the deals.
  • Options
    Buyers...the Honda buying experience is one of the worst in the industry. I see too many buyers fooling themselves with e-quotes and internet prices. Do the homework and see that you can buy an EX-L with navigation and entertainment system for no more than $25K. Waiting lists are excuses from dealers. Don't make me cry to see that you pay over $30 for a loaded model. Get smart and negotiate. The money is yours and the dealers need it. Good luck and pray for the salvation of all those greedy and deceitful managers.
  • Options
    jeffcarsjeffcars Member Posts: 11
    I would like to pay $25,000. My research suggests invoice on a 2008 EX-L RES + Nav is $33,054 (with destination). Dealer incentive of $1,000 puts a price at invoice of $32,054. $25,000 is only $7,000 less than that, so that seem reasonable...
  • Options
    taraltaral Member Posts: 8
    I don't know about how prices are by you. Here in Chicago, I found three dealers willing to give me the 2008 EX-L RES and Navigation for a really good price. One dealer offered $30, 200. We have a lot of taxes here (which someone from out of state wouldn't have to pay), but our doc fees are $150. There is one particular dealer here that really seems to want the business (maybe too many cars on his lot). If anyone wants information, they can e-mail me at tweinberg@hotmail.com
  • Options
    elmo2002elmo2002 Member Posts: 7
    Dude, too many posters not reading properly...

I got 15 quotes for an '08 Ody TOURING w/o PAX. Who's talking about an EX-L? Not a single dealer in this area will go much below $35K base price for an '08 Touring - these are direct, donkeypuch method, firm quotes. carsdirect.com, Costco, etc. all came in well above $36K base price.

:P
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    What are you talking about?

Show me one. You can't even get that deal on a 2007. You're making that up.
  • Options
    leecurrieleecurrie Member Posts: 15
    Perhaps we should just stick to the title of this forum.

People's opinions about what a "good deal" is are entirely subjective and may or may not be accurate, truthful, or helpful.

What IS helpful, is if people will just post the detail of what they actually paid, when they paid it, where they paid it and how the experience was.

This is helpful to everyone else who is looking to buy an Odyssey and what goes around comes around. Post for someone else's benefit today, and someday someone will post for your benefit.
  • Options
    cutesongcutesong Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2007 EX-L with RES for 27K + TTL before Christmas last year. It comes with some dealer options like paint treatment, tint, wheel locks. The price on the sticker is well over 35K.

I didn't know this forum before purchase. If I did, I would have paid less. I started negotiation by offering 25K.

Dealer tried to cheat on financing. I had to go back to change terms on the loan after I found Honda Finance had 2.9%.
  • Options
    jeffcarsjeffcars Member Posts: 11
    Anyone getting 2.9% today? Dealer quoted me 5.24%. My credit is very strong.
  • Options
    minivansrockminivansrock Member Posts: 11
    Lowest prices I've been offered:
    2007 Touring Nav/Res: 33,250 Twin cities
    2008 Touring without PAx 35,900 twin cities.

FYI: 2007 EX-L with Nav/Res offered $29,900

All using donkeypunch method. Will be buying 2008 Touring without pax
  • Options
    Please let us know the base price versus accessories package price.

thanks
  • Options
    Go to top of discussion and look for "Go to MSG #"

Donkeypunch posted 3 excellent articles under MSG # :
    17261, 17334, 17507

By the way if anyone is interested USAA is offering 4.94% financing on all new vehicle loans.
  • Options
    My advice from what I have seen: The same model quoted at high 29's go on sale for 24-25,000. Do not use internet or e-quotes, That's why your quote is so high. Check automotive forums. A dealer in Texas quoted your model at $23560, or $24,000 drive out. And they are still making money so think how much more richer you are making them above $25,000.
  • Options
    Here is an example: Check the price of an F-150 and based on your search determine your lowest price. Then the question, Why is Ford offering $9,000 below MSRP? That shows how invoice is the lowest price that protects dealers just from a legal standpoint. Below invoice is the zone dealers want to avoid selling simply because there is too much money on the table. The price I adversized was on a Honda Automobile Zone Forum and was purchased new in Texas. Then, a day later another dealer confirmed the below invoice territory. This time in Washington. The evidence was also on e-bay. Good luck!
  • Options
    See the price paid as shown in forum #18075. We have plenty of documented purchases at no more than $25,000 with NAV and DVD. Who is the dunkey?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,949
    #18075 doesn't say anything about NAV and DVD..

Got any others?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    I prefer to be called jackass, but I guess I can live with Donkey. Normally, I'll take the high road, but since F150 was mentioned, I can't resist hitting this one head-on.

Miguel: I apologize in advance for lack of tact, but your numbers are without basis, your references don't exist (honda auto forum zone) and nobody's selling new 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL's (NO RES, NO NAV) on ebay south of 29K.let alone WITH Res and NAV for 25K.

This "grab your boot straps, head into the dealer and stick to your guns" is frankly a total waste of anyone's time. Particularily when your suggesting that your going to walk out with an 08 EXL RES NAV for 25K. Those numbers aren't even attainable on an 08 EXL.

Please stop mis-leading members of this forum with completely unattainable numbers based on "what you think" a vehicle is worth. The market's the market and it's nowhere near the numbers your touting.

Before it's suggested, no, I'm not a car salesman and yes-- I'm for everyone on this board getting the best possible deal in their area. However, it's not fair to someone working a deal to have them thinking their doing something completely wrong because they aren't seeing close to 25K on an 08 EXL, let alone EXL RES NAV.

Shrek & The Donkey

P.S. the post number you referenced is for an EXL (not EXL RES NAV) and a 2007, not a 2008. Minor details that account for at least 6K.
  • Options
    katwaykatway Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the helpful information on this board. Using this information, I Picked up a Honda Odyssey Touring w/o pax from Landmark Honda in Alexandria, VA for $34,888 not including the $635 freight.

It was a pleasant experience, but I also think I lucked out with a good salesman. Landmark definitely has a "call center" feeling to it -- long tables with phone lines, no indoor showroom, and a few salesman that look out of place. But, I feel I got a good price and that's what mattered the most.

Now I just gotta get used to being the dad driving the van :)
  • Options
    Lee Stinehelfer 2008 Touring w/o PAX out of Chicago quoted:

$ 34800 (including Destination)
    $150 Doc fee
    $10 License fee

OTD Price $34,960 (I live in Minnesota).

You can reach him at the information below:

Lee Stinehelfer at Honda of Lisle [lstinehelfer_hondaoflisle@gs.reyrey.com]
  • Options
    ivycivyc Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to buy and have a quote of $26,944 is this good? He says the price is firm- no trade just a straight buy. Located in Texas.
  • Options
    next2000next2000 Member Posts: 16
    dlee300z,

I bought similar vehicle in December 07
    2007 EX-L with RES and NAV + Fog lights, mats, cargo tray, 3rd shades

Price: 27,900 + TTL + Options

My OTD was 31,020. Comparing your 30K price with my 27,900 price is about $2K difference. But back then there were more 2007 models available.

Good luck and hunting :)
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Don't feed trolls - they tend to vanish without attention.
  • Options
    malymalyhomemalymalyhome Member Posts: 3
    I posted to sell my 2000 EX with 126K miles for 7K which is even below blue book private party fair value. However, people called me with offers like 6K or even 5.5K. :confuse: One dealer even offer 4K trade in while blue book stated over $5.5K. How true is this price in Kelley blue book? I'm going to try the carmax as suggested. Is that a good idea to mention my trade in while obtaining a best quote.
  • Options
    bestpriceplsbestpricepls Member Posts: 4
    I live in Westchester County, New York and am interested in recent prices paid on a 2008 Touring w/o Pax. I asked for a few prices via the internet from a few local dealers in late December and the lowest price I got back was 36850 including destination. That seems a bit high relative to the recent postings.

Any info. on prices and good dealership experiences in the area are much appreciated.

many thanks.
  • Options
    infinitiiinfinitii Member Posts: 9
    Hello

What is the Best Out of Door price in IL for Honda Odyssey 2008 EX-L with RES?.If there are any good deals in neighboring States let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    wsljlwwsljlw Member Posts: 4
    I just started looking for this model and after asking for a couple of OTD internet prices, I was given $34,800. Is this good or should I be asking for something lower (of course TTL depends state by state)

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    dfjiangdfjiang Member Posts: 2
    The only gave me the total. List price for my accessories cost more than $1000. I believe the margins are pretty high for accessories. Good luck!
  • Options
    You might want to post this over on "Real World Trade-in Values." As you'll see, the "books" bear little relation to reality. In my experience they significantly underestimate the appropriate deduction for high mileage.

On the subject of sales tactics - If you're asking 7 and someone offered 6, why do you still own it?
  • Options
    lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Yeah dealers use the blackbook not blue, pretty big difference.
  • Options
    lookingforcarslookingforcars Member Posts: 18
    Any feedback from buyers on best quotes in NJ and dealers that people recommend?
  • Options
    bboy2bboy2 Member Posts: 9
    After much work I got the following deal in Kentucky:

'08 EX-L RES
    $29,900 base price
    $199 doc fee
    $1800 (6% tax, title, license) in KY the tax is 90% msrp??

OTD $31,900 not too bad thanks Donkey (& Shrek :)
  • Options
    iwantvaniwantvan Member Posts: 9
    How long can I expect it to take to get to a final price if I use the Donkey's method? I'm looking to buy a 2008 Touring in the DC metro area soon. As an FYI, I got 3.5% financing from Navy Fed Credit union. Waiting for the check to arrive.
  • Options
    infinitiiinfinitii Member Posts: 9
    Hello

I am also planning to buy 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES at Lisle,IL ,so can you guide me as to who you negoitated the price for 1008 Honda Touring which you had bought in Dec 07.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    It should only take a couple of days, tops, because you'll quickly see who is in the running.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,949
    in KY the tax is 90% msrp??

That's correct... KY applies the state tax rate to 90% of MSRP, assuming you paid at least that much...

I think if you pay less than 90% of MSRP, then the lower amount is taxed..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks to all who have posted about recent prices. I did not try the Donkey Punch method but saw an ebay listing from a dealer 30 miles away and my local dealer 4 miles away matched it. I knew it was a good deal and was happy to give them the business. I paid $35,100 + $150 doc fee + TTL in the metro Chicago area. I offered to buy a cargo liner for $87 or the HondaCare 8/120K/0 warranty at the Hyannis Honda price but they tried to sell me the GE Finance warranty saying they don't sell HondaCare any longer and I passed. Two questions for the group. Where is the best place to order the Weathertech all-season black liners? Several posters preferred the weathertech liners to OEM mats. What about on the cargo liner? It looks like the OEM all season mats allow access to the 2nd seat storage which is impossible withthe Weathertech model. Anyone find this a problem? Also, I understand that the HondaCare warranty after 6K miles is different. Has anyone figured out a strategy as to why waiting to perhaps 30K miles might be better? I did not see this addressed on the warranty forum.
  • Options
    I've got the OEM mats and, yes, one can easily access the storage well because the mat has splits in it. They work good for us because the kids are older and the second row doesn't get much use. With alot of second row traffic I'd be inclined to go aftermarket if there's solid floor coverage.
  • Options
    mercer08mercer08 Member Posts: 24
    Did the 29,900 include any basic accessories?
  • Options
    meetme25meetme25 Member Posts: 13
    Here's my experience.. I bought a new 2008 Honda Odyseey EX-L from Auto West in CALIF on Dec 26 th and have been back to the dealer's service center 4 times since then.

1st time. - The rear right side tire was totally out. They said it was probably road hazard, but still replaced it for free

2nd time - The check engine light and VSA light came on and the engine was making weird noises while idling and with burning rubber smell. Took it to the dealership. They checked out and send they found engine code P1659 and it was just a temporary loss of traction, please watch and advise. I said fine and took it back.
    3rd time - The same problem, this time additionally the power locks and the rear right sliding door stopped working. Came back home and the door started working again. Took it back to the dealer, they said engine code P1659 showed up again and had to replace some sort of relay switch. Additionally they found a body code and couldn't diagnose what really the problem was since its working now.

4th time - Again VSA light and check engine light went on. This time to make matters worse, gas pedal wouldn't respond at all.Also power locks and sliding door didn't work also. Had to get the vehicle towed back to the dealership. Now the vehicle is with the dealer and I would be hearing from them on Monday. WIll keep this thread updated about progress.

The last one sounds like a transmission issue to me. Buyers beware. I hope no one ever has my kind aof experience. Mean while I am considering invoking my CALIFORNIA lemon law rights Any advise?
  • Options
    bboy2bboy2 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, some dealers try to charge between $129-$199 for mudflaps (they were included) I have seen some dealers try to charge for pin striping (are they going to take them off?) floor mats were also included. Are there any others?
  • Options
    edjcpaedjcpa Member Posts: 2
    I started on a Tuesday afternoon and bought my Touring non-PAX on Friday night. I didn't do a second round. Instead, I told my preferred dealer what my best price was and they dropped theirs to beat it.

I sent to 10 local dealers (Chicago area) and received price quotes from nine. The best five differed by only $345.

Good luck.
  • Options
    duke87nuke1duke87nuke1 Member Posts: 3
    It is with great pleasure that I escape the Chrysler Town & Country Board and join the Odyssey board as a regular. My '01 T&C had a lot of nice features, but the reliability was terrible - it was always something new (and never cheap).

I just bought 2008 Odyssey EX-L in Ocean Mist with the RES & NAV packages at Courtesy Honda in Sanford, FL (north of Orlando). I used the e-mail quote method (donkeypunch first described it here). I sent bid requests from the main Honda web site, out to 19 dealers in North & Central Florida. I attached a long note in the quote request comment field and said I would like a firm purchase quotation without any dealer add-ons and to itemize charges including Base Price, destination and document fees. I noted that the only extras I expected to see would be tax, title and license. I also noted that I was serious buyer, was checking with multiple dealers in the area at once, and would be purchasing an Odyssey within a week, so promptness and a bottom line would be appreciated. I also asked for colors they had in stock, although I learned later that they trade cars all the time at no cost to get a color if they need it.

I got quotes within hours and from about 2/3’s of the dealers within a day. Some just gave me a number while others gave me all the details I asked for. All of the e-mail links from the Honda site worked. I quickly had quotes with in a range of $35,600 down to $31,800, compared to the sticker (inc destination) of $36,445. I replied to each one, never divulging what my lowest bid was, but letting each one know where they stood versus the range I had my best 3 quotes in. Only a very small portion never gave me a serious bid or just was not interested in doing it via e-mail. Expect to be busy on the e-mail for a few days since many of them worked pretty hard to get their quotes down or offer other things to win my business. Just ensure you get specifics about exactly what is included, especially if they start confusing things with accessories. I did not give out my phone number or make any calls until I was down to my final three. In the end I had 3 quotes within $200 of each other. One dealer did not have the color I wanted in stock (I did not want to get locked into a transfer) and the second couldn't do anything fair on my trade-in.

Courtesy Honda was quick to reply to my initial request, included all the information I requested (including colors), gave a very good bottom line quote from the start, had the color I wanted in stock, and gave me a very fair value for my trade in, so they earned my business. I did have a fourth quote for even lower by $450, but at the last minute they didn't have the color they said they did. They were never willing to give me the details in an e-mail, so I was leery of further bait & switch tactics. I probably could have gotten one or two of my finalists a little lower, but it was obvious I was already getting a better deal than most of the other dealers could do.

I wound up paying: $31,544 inc destination ($4891 off the 36,445 sticker). I also did pay a dealer fee of $599 - these are standard at EVERY dealer in this area, but vary from $299 – 599. I just ensured I included it in what I considered their price. The only accessories on the stock van I wanted were wheel locks and Courtesy just threw them in.

Overall, I was very happy getting all the numbers set before I talked or set foot in the dealer. The only downside I saw was if you have a trade-in. You can’t do that via e-mail and you’ll still be haggling on that price.
  • Options
    malymalyhomemalymalyhome Member Posts: 3
    I get the best quote of $25,500 for 2007 EX-L and $24,495 for 2008 EX-L from two dealers in CA. When I learned that the rear camera become standard in 2008 model, I am struggling with the additional $2,995 only for this feature. Any advices? :confuse:
  • Options
    diginatdiginat Member Posts: 8
    >I just bought 2008 Odyssey EX-L in Ocean Mist with the RES & NAV packages at >Courtesy Honda in Sanford, FL (north of Orlando).

Hey now! My former neighbor is a manager there. Nice to see the name (well, of the dealership, anyway). :) We moved from Oviedo to southern/central CA last year; it's awfully cold here - I sure miss central FL.

We bought the same car you did - different color (dark cherry pearl) - and paid close to what you did (slightly more, but I was willing to do that to get the color I wanted - otherwise, I'd have saved about $400).

The donkeypunch method is fantastic - many thanks to him for the advice.
  • Options
    diginatdiginat Member Posts: 8
    There are a few other changes for '08, too, right? DRLs, a safety feature in the front headrests that helps in rear impact collisions, a slightly modified body style... possibly more, but I'm not sure of the differences in the EX and the EX-L, the latter of which is what we bought.

Those changes may not be significant enough for you, but personally, I wanted the back-up camera, so would have bought an '08 anyway, even if we didn't buy the NAV.
  • Options
    You meant to say that the '08 price is $28.495, right?

Buy the '07. Your initial outlay is less and the price spread used will never be as much as three grand between the two years. Plus, relatively speaking, the '07 will always have racked up fewer miles per year.
  • Options
    wsljlwwsljlw Member Posts: 4
    duke87nuke1 -

Was the $31,544 the Out the Door price? I'm looking for this exact model.
  • Options
    taraltaral Member Posts: 8
    I thought of the same thing--rear camera. I just bought my van, and I feel the rear camera is neccesary as a safety feature.