Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Without trying to start an import vs domestic thread...the supply and demand thing has more to do with the selling prices of vehicles. Not just in numbers of units themselves, but also competing dealers.

There are by far more numbers of Triplets on the lots around town than MDX's and Pilots. Not to mention the number of GM Dealers is much higher. Heck, they've always been plagued with the various Brands battling it out even.

Sure quality has something to do with it, but it's just part of the reason why someone would pay sticker and up for a vehicle. IMO, it's the dumbest thing to do. Talk about loosing money and taking a depreciation hit...

Dealers set the selling price, not the manufacturers and if they are seeing a strong demand for vehicles that sell for list..they sure aren't going to begin discounting them.

Here in Columbus/Marysville, Accords go for a premium but then they do get tons of traffic and sell a lot of cars at high margins. Now they don't outsell the domestics, but the name of the game is profit, not just revenue. Many Honda and Acura Dealers make a ton more money and sell much fewer cars than the domestic. Wish we could have done that on a regular basis....and we did back in the early to mid 80's.

tim
  • Options
    tbltexttbltext Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if we have a rear hatch release button that can be pushed from the drivers seat?
    My 2000 Blazer had it..
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was sort of hoping that my post would encourage a lurker or three to actually post "My Trailblazer runs great, etc." but I guess it wasn't strong enough of a hint. Anyone?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    Ok, I'll bite....

My white TB LTZ *does* run great!!! Purchased 01/02, build date 11/01.

It's been in the shop just one time for a dead battery caused by a faulty rear hatch lock, and my local chevy dealer was great to work with.

(My only complaints with the chevy dealer were that it took them 8 days to find the problem and get the new part delivered, and then they returned my TB to me FILTHY!!! I complained. They claimed to hear me.)

About the only thing that I can consistently find to complain about with this vehicle is the 17mpg average that I've been getting, but that's not why we bought this truck anyway, so I don't complain very often. (my '92 Accord with 190k miles still gets 32 mpg, so I can deal with 17 from the TB)

Other than that, we've thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving our Trailblazer and we're always getting compliments from friends/co-workers about its good looks. My wife finally had to put a stop to my accessorizing before it got too far out of hand.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's "triplet troubles", and I hope there's at least a few of us out there having a good experience.

There you go Steve.....hope my review doesn't turn out to be the "kiss of death" ;-)
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I've had my Envoy since early February. It hasn't been back to the dealer since. I suppose I could get the rear gasket installed, but it really doesn't concern me anymore. The peeling has stopped and it isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. Besides, they'd probably cause more harm than good.
    I had one instance where the windshield washers didn't work. I was able to fix it myself very easily. Works fine now.
    It's the best car I've owned in my 25 years of driving!
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    If I didn't come out and say it, I tried to imply it. My Bravada has run flawless since day one! I've had absolutely no mechanical problems with it *knock on plood* as I approach 9K miles! As stated I've had the normal problems with the tailgate gasket, loose lower front fascia, and most recently the clear coat coming loose on the inner ring of my wheel centers. My dealer, John Lucas Chevy/Olds, has always stepped up to bat for me and fixed any issues I've had. I stopped by, showed them one wheel center, and they ordered 4 new ones for me. They should be in tomorrow!
  • Options
    muzicmanmuzicman Member Posts: 7
    I have 32k on my 2002 Trailblazer. I have not had any major problems with my TB. The only real problem I have had was leaking PS fluid after 14k. The dealership fixed the problem and arranged a rental car for the overnight repair. I am EXTREMELY happy with my TB and I love driving it. It handles extremely well in good and bad weather. I am a proud owner as my previous posts have indicated.
  • Options
    funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    Bought my Envoy in January and the vehicle was built 01/02 -- it has 10,000 miles.

The only "problem" that the dealer "fixed" was to replace the rear differential oil to stop "chatter" when taking off from a stop and making a left-hand turn (which was corrected!).

"Problems" that happened once or can't be repeated on demand: driver's side mirror stopped working (starting working after 2 days and has not recurred); Auto climate control outside temp. display was stuck on 69° (even though it was 95° outside) -- after 1-day at 69° (and alot of abusive jokes from co-workers, as I took the Envoy that day to go to lunch!!!!) it has displayed the correct temp. ever since; the remote lock-unlock does not work in hot weather -- I have to hit the button anywhere from 2-4 times before the vehicle will unlock/lock when the temperature is above 75° (during colder weather, it works fine!!!!); the air conditioning compressor did not come on once during hot weather (auto system) -- when car was stopped (shut-off) and started again, it was fine and has been fine since; sometimes the rear hatch does not unlock when the vehicle is put in park (all the doors unlock, but not the rear hatch).

So, although I do really enjoy the very comfortable, quiet and smooth ride, the great power, decent gas mileage (I normally get 18.5-19.5 mpg in mixed driving, 22-23 mpg on the highway or extended trips), the utility to carry alot of stuff --- I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER GMC PRODUCT. I will wait until the Volkswagen Toureag is available and go back to owning Volkwagens. Europeans do vehicles better!

And, yes, Highlanders have problems -- a person I work with has a Highlander -- some relay switch goes bad and the battery goes dead (has happened twice to them!); remotes have died twice; 2 recalls; doors seals defective and replaced. But, they don't complain, they like their Highlander!
  • Options
    xntrickxntrick Member Posts: 27
    This board has been an exceptional resource and I thank all of you. Mine is Envoy with lots of extras (Bose, running boards, engine block heater, sunroof, ECAS) but no leather (didn't want it). It's got 6500 miles on it and has averaged 19-20 mpg (driving miserly) mixed city/hwy. I've done the KN filter and CAI (thanks Tim) and switched to synthetic at 2000 miles. No problems EXCEPT a squeeeeky front end (minor) but I suspect some WD40 on the hood latch will rectify that (thanks for the suggestion forum folks). Easily the nicest vehicle I've owned and an exceptional value for what I paid. Regards.
  • Options
    xntrickxntrick Member Posts: 27
    eeeeeeeeerrrrr one last thing. I think I saw where someone had posted that GM had come out with a TSB with regards to the "jet engine blowing loss of power at start up" problem. Anyone confirm this for me. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    It runs excellent, only had the gasket on the tailgate done. Daily commuter and zero problems...
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    "I've found that subaru and isuzu have been pretty good with not cutting corners."

Will the Isuzu version of the triplets, to be built in line with the GM badged vehicles, I believe, not be builr with the same specs?
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    I am currently driving a 2002 Envoy XL and a 2002 Olds Intrigue.

Although these buy decisions are heavily influnced by the fact that my wife is a Raytheon employee (legacy Hughes-GM), and we get them at about dealer cost, I have been satisfied with overall performance and engineering in these vehicles.

They both have advanced technology engines, provide an excellent combination of power and mileage, and are, IMO, among the best looking vehicles in their respective categories.

At dealer cost, value is pretty much a given.

We shopped other mfg and models before selecting either of these vehicles.

Pilots were expensive, blah, and didn't have the space and utility of the XL.

The "quality" stigma will never leave GM, regardless of what they do because all of us sensitized to the issue and pay a lot of attention to the most minor problems. They have earned that reputation and must live with it.

For their part, imports have a reputation for gouging on maintenance, and in Hondas case, even on the purchase price. Have seen this on popular Nissan and Toyotas also. 'specially trucks.

On balance, they all have drawbacks and no one "gives" more attention to any facet than the other. If a vehicle is clearly better, you can bet that is in the price. That's what corporations do.
  • Options
    babyshoesbabyshoes Member Posts: 23
    I stated earlier, Tuesday, Our A/C went out. (just warm air)

U1000 was the code Onstar read while it was out. Dealer said that several A/C systems were over charged. They should have been at 2.8 instead of the 3.0. Also, GM is having trouble with the "lift gate module." They want to replace mine. They think this maybe the cause to fussy A/C units.
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    OK I will chime in too. I have a White TB-LS 2wd with the 1SC package, CD-Cassette, and locker differential, built 11-01. Other than a few simple things (some wind noise from the drivers mirror, a rattle from an exhaust shield and the connector to the Oxygen sensor rattling against the underside (all of which I fixed myself- I LIKE doing things to my cars!) It has been into a dealer exactly ONCE since I bought it in Jan '02 for the fuel filter retainer clip recall which took all of 30 minutes to do, that was a preventive recall GM issued before any problems occured. Only thing I regret was getting the 3.42 rear gears rather than the 3.73 since I thought the 3.42 would yield measurably better gas mileage. Maybe on the highway yes, but in-town no. I would definitely buy it again, but this time with the 3.73 gears.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I believe it will be the same as the triplets, except only in extended version.

I was referring to non-rebadged vehicles in the Isuzu/Subaru lineups (which would also exclude the Hombre aka S10 pickup of a few years ago and the Oasis aka Oddessey made by honda)

-mike
  • Options
    macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Almost 11K miles, bought 9/01, build date 6/01, 2WD SLT with 4.10 axle, Bose audio, and all the bells and whistles. I've been very happy with this truck's performance and comfort. Getting about 17 mpg in daily commute city driving, as long as I don't feel the need to verify the power under the hood.

Only minor problems fixed at the dealer:
    1. License plate gasket installed
    2. Computer reprogrammed for downshift delays
    3. PCM (or ECM) replaced because the engine stalled ONCE while stopped at a traffic light (OK, this could be a major one but I wasn't stranded and it worked fine after I "rebooted")
    4. Rear window gasket replaced for small water leak

And I get a free lube and oil each time I fill out the survey form and bring it to my service advisor to "review" (I assume he mails it back to GM each time).

Mods I've done myself:
    1. Installed running boards and splash guards to help prevent paint chipping (it seems to be working)
    2. Replaced headlight bulbs with PIAA Superwhites (what a huge difference!)
    3. Installed WeatherTech hood/bug deflector.

Minor gripes I can live with:
    1. Poor cupholder design (haven't heard that one in a while)
    2. Fuel tank is a bit small
    3. Fog lights don't do much

This truck, despite it's and everyone else's problems, is light years ahead of the '93 Explorer I traded in.
  • Options
    kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    why don't the triplets have a reset button? by ficuss...

Because GM would rather that you take the vehicle into the dealer ($$$$$) for a repair....

Just thinking out loud!
  • Options
    gcleftongclefton Member Posts: 8
    This board has been a great resource and I thank everyone for participating. My Envoy is a SLT with the extras (Bose, running boards, mud flaps, sunroof, and leather). Since its 02/02 build-date, it has covered 11,100 miles and has averaged 17-18 mpg mixed city/hwy with occasional boat towing. I switched to synthetic oil at 7,500 miles. No problems. The only experience with the selling dealer (Koons, Tyson's Corner, VA) was the addition of the rear license plate holder gasket; it was pleasant, returned on time, and they delivered the vehicle cleaner than it went in. This Envoy is far superior to the '91 Ford Explorer that I wore out.
  • Options
    acl1966acl1966 Member Posts: 24
    My SLT Envoy will be a year old tomorrow. Built 8/24/01 and purchased 9/6/01. Black, Dark Pewter Leather, 1SK package (DVD)with running boards. This car has only been to the dealer twice; recall on reprogramming the transmission and installation of the rear license plate gasket. This car looks and runs just as it did when delivered new. My previous vehicle was a 1998 Toyota SUV and it was always in the shop for many things going wrong. That car had one tenth the options the Envoy has and what little options it had, were always malfunctioning. The day I traded that car in on the Envoy, was the happiest day of my life. My experiences driving the Envoy during the year has led me to conclude, "GM builds quality products". GM offers technology, luxury and quality that other manufactures can't compete with. These vehicles are truely "next generation" not just a minor improvement over last year and have set the precedence for this years larger GM SUV's. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another GM product in the future. I enjoy reading this board and have learned a lot about the possible problems that I could be dealing with, but so far, they haven't occurred. My dealer, here in Miami, Fl. has been great. They're always sending me free things for my truck and they seem to be very sincere and knowledgeable concerning their customer's vehicles.
  • Options
    dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    It's good to see so many people so satisfied with their trips. Believe me I do not want to be one of those pissed off at GM but lady luck just isn't on my side. It does let me know that all is not lost and there are some out there that run great. I talked to a friend of mine who's a mechanic and he basically said I have to expect something like this with a vehicle so new in design and engineering. I just dropped off my ride back to FH dailey and spoke to the service manager. He's having the warning light problems checked but he said he wants to refer me to another chevy dealer that actually is a Chevrolet body shop as well on grounds. All the body and paintwork from my dealer goes to an outside source. It'll probably be a few weeks before the tailgate problem and the warning lights are taken care of. Honestly I still got a bad feeling about this. I'm expecting FH to hit me up with another bill because I put in "floor mats" or something stupid to cause the warning lights to go off. OK, maybe thats stretching it a bit far but I still feel like I'm gonna get the shaft on this deal. Maybe if I get the tailgate problem again I'll talk to GM about a buyback, after all it will have been the 5th time I brought it in for the same problem. I think this qualifies under the lemon law.
  • Options
    Aha, that's the real reason people are reluctant to talk about their rides that are running great - they're afraid of jinxing it! The "kiss of death" indeed, lol.

Thanks for the posts!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    And I get a free lube and oil each time I fill out the survey form and bring it to my service advisor to "review" (I assume he mails it back to GM each time).

Well, I'm sure he's sending it in. I believe they get some incentives for the per cent of "completely satisfied's", etc. Hopefully he's not changing your answers or writing himself praises in the comments section .

Mods I've done myself:
    1. Installed running boards and splash guards to help prevent paint chipping (it seems to be working)

What type and brand of boards and guards did you install?

• Options
    nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    In the glove box on the white label with all the 3 digit RPO codes on the bottom line there will be a number like U8555 which is Black this is
    the paint code. Some vehicles came through missing these paint codes if yours is tell me and I'll get you the code.
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    OK, everyone out there with a good running triplet can thank me for their lack of problems. Mine has enough for all of you! Here is a list of problems I sent in a letter to GM;

Service performed so far:
    1)Transfer case locked up. Waited 18 days for part. Vehicle out of service.
    2)Accessory drive belt replaced due to major
    squealing.
    3)Transmission computer updated due to poor shifting.
    4)Brakes go to floor with medium pressure when
    stopped. Told this is normal condition.
    5)Inner fender seals loose. Not addressed. I fixed
    them myself with RTV.
    6)Wind noise between doors. Not addressed. Still an issue.
    7)Rear tailgate insert gasket installed to prevent
    paint chipping.
    8)Cooling fan computer updated to prevent unwanted
    engagement.
    9)Fuel filter fittings replaced per recall.

Current Service visit:
    10)Wandering outside rearview mirrors (TSB).
    11)Defective sunvisor (only hangs straight down).
    12)Drivers window does not close fully at speed.
    13)Paint flaking off center caps of wheels.

Service stop to be scheduled in winter:
    14)Power steering pump screams at temps under 10
    degrees
    15)Rattle in dashboard when temp in under 30 degrees.

Other issues:
    16)Roof rack rails loose. Fixed myself although there is a TSB out.
    17)Loose weatherstripping on top of windshield and rear doors. Fixed myself with RTV.
    18)Remote keyless entry does not always work in hot weather. Not addressed yet.
    19)Front facia/bumper extremely loose (1-2" vertical slop). Fixed myself with washers and foam rubber.
    20)Extremely poor fit on various body panel (1/2"
    offset or more). Mudflaps fit poorly.
    21)Paint chipping on trailing edge of rear doors. Not addressed yet.

This afer 6 months! What a piece of CRA*! Yes, some issues are minor, but 21 on a new vehicle!
    I have been without the vehicle for 21 days so far. Wisconsin requires 30 for a lemon repurchase.
    Maybe I will take it in separately for each remaining problem. Olds customer service actually had the gall to thank me for making Olds my vehicle of choice! I will NEVER buy a GM product again. Sorry for the ranting and good luck to those who are problem free. Those who feel sorry for me can send their donations to.............
    (just kidding).

GAM
  • Options
    nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    I work in parts for a GMC dealer and also own an
    02 Envoy SLT. So I checkout anything that has to do with an Envoy repair, I have yet to see an Envoy that needed front sway bar links.

>My friend's dealer tells him that they are >changing several sets of these a week
  • Options
    paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    I am a happy triplet owner (White 2002 Envoy) I've had may fair share of minor hiccups with the vehicle but overall, its a good vehicle. A few things come to mind:

1) Part of the problem is the dealership. I work with Car Dealers on a daily basis and there are good ones and there are bad ones. I, unfortunately, left a good one to buy from a bad one, their was $1800 difference in price on the exact same vehicle. I don't have $1800 to throw around but in a way, I wish I'd stuck with the more expensive dealer.

2) This is a first year car and bugs are going to crop up. This is the price you pay for leading edge. Compared to some of my previous "first year buys", GM has done pretty good, especially with a brand new frame, engine and computer system.

3) Unfortunately, GM is hiding behind some of their problems rather than coming forward and addressing them . Their is way too much damage control going on rather than saying, "yea, we had a problem and this is how we'll fix it. GM refuses to let us dedicated owners have access to their tech sites - if it weren't for a few dedicated board members (GMDrone and Tim Lauro) we would really be out in the dark. I can list more than one item than rather than be a standup guy about a warranty problem, GM has chosen a Cover Your Axx posture. Want a tip, GM? Treat us like adults, we aren't cry-babies, we are your most loyal customers. Use our experiences to make your product better.

4) The Jimmy I bought in '96, GMC did all kinds of followup and customer satisfaction programs. My '98, same program, plus some more freebies. No big deal but a nice gesture. But on my new 2002, sorry, not even a phone call. Are times that hard in Detroit? I don't think so, I think it is mis-directed management paying attention to bottom line numbers rather than customer satisfaction.

Would I buy another one? Yes. Could this one be improved? Yes. Could GM be more customer focused? Yes. Are there better brands out there? This is really a personal choice.

Got a problem? Share your info to help others. Just want to vent? please use another forum, we are interested in making the triplet a better automobile experience.

Enough for my Rant.

Paul P
  • Options
    jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I think Mhenderson raises some excellent points. I follow closely the consumer reports auto issues and their reliability index is usually a good indicator and follows closely with overall board complaints in this media. Any vehicle can have problems but you have better odds to have fewer repairs and trouble with any of the 3 Japanese makers. Note I left the BMW's and Mercedes SUV's out of that group as they have been full of issues too. I am thankful that my TB has been pretty good overall with no major faults especially for one of the 1st off the line. I hope GM gets a fix on some of the issues posted as I would not mind eventually getting an Envoy.
  • Options
    tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    I am a decently satisfied TB owner. Its a LS 1SC 4x4 3.73 build date 08/20/01 bought 09/10/01(arrgghh) While the spaces and other panel fittings are not the best they could be, it is a decent quality. The only problem I really have is the front bumper. This is going to get fixed this week with a 5/8" Tap and 5/8x2" bolt... =o) then its nice and secure. For all of you with loose front bumpers check the bottom right above the air dam. There are four holes on mine where clips are supposed to be, mine fell out. Among my otehr prolems was the transmission programming recall for poor parking pressure, and havent gone in for the gasket yet. GM is paying to have my rear hatch repainted because I think they ran out of base on my hatch.=o( All in all, I have the CAI w/ K&N filter, thanks tim a 3" magnaflow, AirAID TBS, and 31" tires instead of the stocks. While I wish that I could have more assurance of the power (by the feel) It is a pretty powerful and quick truck by truck standards. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, most importantly, no major issues... knock on wood....
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Let me clarify something, I also own 3 GM products in addition to my Bravada and have owned others in the past. GM is NOT listening to me so I must play hardball. If publishing my problems causes just 10 people to reconsider these vehicles, I have hit them where it hurts the most, in the wallet. And if enough of us hit them in the wallet, maybe GM will change their ways.
    C'mon if you can't figure out how to make paint stick or make a sunvisor work properly, you have a problem. Put yourself in my shoes. Maybe this will help us all in the long run.

GAM

p.s I'm really happy for all of you with "good ones".
  • Options
    king36king36 Member Posts: 9
    My Bravada has all the typical triplet problems - sagging headliner, tapping engine noise, wind noise, window(lf)won't close at 45mph+, clunking front doors,etc. Now the bose stereo track selector/seek button doesn't work. I wonder if they will have to replace the entire stereo.
    Does anyone know if there are tsb's for 1) the sagging headliner, and 2) the loose front bumper - someone mentioned that there is a bracket now available. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    pete2002pete2002 Member Posts: 36
    Just thought I'd jump in on the band wagon incase GM is tuning in on this forum.

I have been a GM owner for over three decades now. GM was the first vehicle experience in life. I have bought Japanese cars too and currently own one; they have had problems but got fixed asap while under warranty, no hastles. Honda extended my emissions warranty to 140k miles or 14 years on my Accord, made it better. I recently bought the TB since I enjoyed the test ride and some of the features as well as going price. Our last 11 years of experience with our '91 Astro Van was excellent. I did most of my work on that vehicle so I kept operating costs down. Since the engine and transmission have been extremely faithful, I decided to give GM another shot with the TB. Well, I think I got burnt this time around. The engine on this one started to tick after the first 300 miles. I think a lifter or poor oil circulation around the front valve is causing the problem. The tapping begins to sound after the engine warms up at idle. It goes away as you rev up, can't hear it when you first start it up. I have been to the dealer twice, all they can say is, normal noise and come back after 4k-5k miles. GM is backing them up on the latter advice. After reading all these posts, I share a common experience with you all...I paid good money for this truck and the check did not bounce at the bank when it got deposited. All I want is to get it fixed, avoid further damage and feel I got a good deal on this thing. By prolonging my misery, others get turned off to GM and the TB. Doesn't sound like we are making progress here. I cannot remember ever being turned away for a legitimate problem by a dealer, let alone the selling dealer who was backed up by the manufacturer on this too. It is never too late to learn lessons in life.
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    In my opinion, the subject line truly expresses my feeling for my Envoy. Sure... it looks great, has nice feature, etc. but just plagued by first year woes! I also own a 2002 Impala LS and it has 7K on it and thus far has been the PERFECT vehicle! Also, I owned a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and it was also a PERFECT vehicle! I know that these two vehicles roll off the same assembly line and are built in Canada.. maybe that has something to with it? Who knows.. but then again, these two vehicles have been out since 2000!

I do think that the 2003's and 2004's will have most of the bugs worked out. Ironically enough, I view the Impala forum on edmunds and it very much sounded like this forum in the beginning... but after 10,000+ postings, the comments appear to be very much more positive!

I am glad that most of my concerns have been addressed, but WOW.. the time spent to get these things resolved does not go unnoticed.. Unfortunately I have much more better things to do with my time than to spend time visiting service departments..

My two cents!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    The TSB for the sagging headliner is 02-08-67-004. Basically, all they do is replace the velcro that holds the headliner in back of the sunroof with more HD stuff. You could also do it yourself by just using the HD hook and loop tape from Radio Shack.
  • Options
    babyshoesbabyshoes Member Posts: 23
    Lets talk modifications...

Wheels.. what is the backspacing and bolt pattern?

I want bigger wheels but don't want the rougher ride. So, I thought a 18" would be better.

stock tire is 245/60 17". this is a 29.6 diameter.

I would like to go to a 275/55 in the same Michelin SUV tire. This would increase my diameter to 30.1" and 10.5" for section width. (from 9.6)

will it work?
    rubbing?
    mileage?
    ride?
    calibration issues for speedometer?

Centerline makes a great looking wheel called the voltage. I want a chrome wheel for northern element issues. Centerline whiles seem to be the litest too.
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Not a dedicated rear hatch release button per se but if you press the door lock switch on the drivers side arm rest to unlock, that also unlocks the rear hatch.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    We've only had our TB LT for about a month, but we're happy so far. It's a base LT with limited slip and 3.73 axle. I pulled my boat with it last weekend for the first time, and it outpulls my Suburban anytime, but to be fair my Surburban has a 3.42 axle so isn't set up for towing anyway.
    I had to wait a while for the dealer to find a Sandlewood with Oak cloth interior, but it was worth the wait.
    The sales staff at Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana, CA was a pleasure to do business with. After only contacting them by phone and email, they obtained the vehicle I wanted, had it ready to go on a Saturday morning only using about 1 hour of my time, with the paperwork all ready with my GM supplier discount applied.
    We looked at Envoy and Bravada also along with the Durango and Jeep GC & Liberty.
    Envoy and Bravada dashes were too busy, with the chrome and wood accents, and the different body panels, especially in the front, weren't appealing to us.
    I liked the Durango, but found that unless you go with the top of the line the seats are inferior, IMHO.
    The Liberty was too small (it's deceptive when you look at the outside with the big flares) and the GC was out of our price range.
  • Options
    tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    I have changed my tires in profile from the oe 245/70/16 to the 245/75/16... The overall height unmounted for the A/T's were about 31.3 in. I considered the 265/70/16, but the section with took it way too close to the front camber set. May want to consider 285/50/18, little wider section width, but @ 29.2", its a lot closer to the OE specs. BTW, the bolt pattern is 6x5(121mm) I dont know the offset, but you can bet that since the triplets are the only ones so far with the bolt pattern, its probably good to go if you can find it... just ask to verify. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Just wondering, what if the two GM's General Motors and General Mills (cereal) have ever exchanged ideas or engineers. They seem to have a few things in common; snaps, crackles and pops and generally flaky products. Some built like a rock, some taste like rocks. Some help you go better than others.

Frank
  • Options
    bailey17bailey17 Member Posts: 1
    Only had this vehicle for 6 weeks. Lots of noises. The most concerning one is when I accelerate around 25 and 35 rpm the engine makes a loud vibration noise. What is it? Anyone else had this problem? #2 - A lot of wind noise on driver window. Dealer mech. said it was the mirror not the door seal. What? #3 - Experiencing a knocking or clunking noise in the steering wheel when going around a bumpy turn. Anyone out there with the same problems and if so, what were you able to find out?
  • Options
    bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    Since i got this truck, i have brought it in 2x for problems that were not of my fault. the first is for one of the first recalls for this truck. The suspension seal. along with that the A/C was smellin a lil ripe, the horn would fail to werk intermittenly, and the window track had a lot of crap in it that would scratch the windows and squeel as it went up and down. Then i start to notice problems such as doors that rattle and squeaky suspension when i drive over chop. the front bumpers warp near the edge of the head lights. the front bumber has been loose from DAY 1. a sqeeky accerlorator peddle (only on wet days) A horn that still doesnt werk ALL the time (Service shop sed they couldnt reproduce) and Still sometimes with the make-me-want-to-puke A/C system smell (also something the service shop could not reproduce). dispite ALL that i still LOVE my truck. very functional for me as opposed to my previous car. although i kno people here have suffered a greater deal of problems. im still happy with this truck. I picked up mine in Aug 2001, not once do i consider going back and changing my mind. and to think, before i found out about the new TB i was gunna go with the xterra. blah. i dressed up my TB with accents here and there. and i love the way it looks even more.

Here is a list:

Exterior:

Manik Grille guard
    Manik Nerf Pipes
    Manik Tail Light guards
    Piaa 520 Fog lights
    Billet Grille
    30% tints in the front windows
    Yakima Roof rack system for my snowboards and bike.
    K&N air filter
    Viper 550ESP Alarm with remote start
    Ventvisors
    GM hoodsheild
    Pirelli Scorpion A/T 265/75-16

Interior:

WeatherTech FloorMats
    Wet Okole Neoprene seat covers
    Pioneer TS-D160R Rev series Speakers
    Infinity Basslink Powered Sub

Thats it for now. Still lookin for more things to do.

I would like to hear about Mods that others on this board have dont to their ride. I'm always interested in new things to do with my truck. Hope to hear from you all soon.
  • Options
    mattlissymattlissy Member Posts: 7
    Looks like GM resolved almost all the initial
    problems by the time the XL's were released. The engine, Transmission and all the electronics has worked flawlessly. My wife and I love this SUV.
  • Options
    macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I bought the GM running boards and splash guards from gmpartsdirect.com. P/N's are 12497606 & 12497607 for the front/rear guards, and 12497886 for the boards.

The boards are really heavy. I managed to install them myself using some wood blocks and phone books to jack them up into place. It took about 2 hours.

The splash guards were easier and fit perfectly. I did not have to take the wheels off like some have. There is some minor drilling through soft plastic involved, but it's not bad.

Here's the link to my out-of-date Envoy page for the pictures: http://www.geocities.com/geotemp246/envoy_page.htm

• Options
    kimodokimodo Member Posts: 44
    Did the running boards also. About 2 hours, no blocks, no nothing. Balanced it with one hand and bolted with the other. Blocks are a good idea though, as they are kinda heavy.

Total overhaul of the stereo system. New cd/mp3 deck, MBquart speakers for the front, US acoustics 4 channel amp, and sub. Sounds sweet. Like the fact that the TB is spacious, makes it feel like a bigger soundstage in the front.

Air intake and K&N filter also. Thats it for now. Rims would be nice, but I don't want to bring attention to my car, as there are alot of freggen thieves out there. Kinda sad that if you sup up your car you have to worry about such trash. Better to leave it stock on the outside. Had too many friends who have had incidents with cars they've put so much time and effort into.
  • Options
    king36king36 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, cmack4, for the tsb# for the sagging headliner. I think I'll let the dealer do it, since the truck has to go in anyway.
  • Options
    Ficuss, funny idea -- maybe the engineer swap would result in a new and improved "Genetically Modified" Trailblazer?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    I was torn between two 2003 SUVs. Jeep Overland and a TLZ. Both run about $38K. Trading in an 2000 JGC and love the passing power of an 8. Never had any problems. Was even considering a Toyoto Sequoia until God intervened and let me know buying a Sequoia would be a terrible mistake worst than the one I committed when I married my first wife. I'm sure the TLZ is a find GMC product but I just don't want to have to deal with any or all the problems I've read in this thread. I know that there are those who post on Edmunds with valid complaints about their Jeep but like I said I haven't had any. There are so many Jeep vehicles on the road. You can't help seeing them. The Jeep engineers must have done something right.

Anyway I'm off to Jeep World to see what kind of deal I can get on a 03 Overland.

Wish me luck.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose. Jeeps have their pros and cons too. The HO V8 is nice and off the line real strong. Love messing with my nieghbor as we merge on the freeway and come home via the same route. He'll take me off the line, but from a roll, he can't pass me :)

I came close to an Overland, but even without my GM Discount, the LTZ was a better deal. Perhaps things are different now?

Again, enjoy.

tim
  • Options
    giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    Thought some of you might be interested in seeing a Pioneer NAV-SYS900DVD system setup in a Trailblazer.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/articles/pioneernav.htm
  • Options
    solly51solly51 Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody encountered "intermittent engine misfiring at idle speed"?

The problem started the day I got the car and the dealer told me to wait until the end of break-in period.

Note: My car was built in May 2002.