Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• kupper25kupper25 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to Fastdriver, Toms99 & Fuzzywuzzy for the responses on the Backseat Floor Puddle Mystery. I checked the spare tire well and it is dry, so I am leaning more toward a window seal failure during an expecially hard rain as the answer. I'll be watching it closely from now on.

As always this board comes through. Thanks again.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I drove a PT Cruiser while my car was in for service yesterday---it was a base model with automatic transmission and cd radio upgrade---the stereo actually sounded cleaner than in the M --- I think the front speakers are better mounted in the Cruiser---it has more space behind it and seems more securely mounted---part of the door bin is closed off to house the speaker---no rattles and very clean sound and excellent bass output---surprisingly the head unit only had 2 controls for sound--bass and treble---

the PT handles very well and although not a lot of power, it was enough to enter highways and for passing---the turbo would be much better though---seats were ok but not as comfortable as the M--it was not the limited editions so they were not power seats---the limited with the leather power seats is probably more comfortable---
    I had a similar sunroof in my Lincoln Mark VIII. I believe it also was an aftermarket roof as it didnt match regular factory setup. I beleive the ASC stands for Automatic Security Control--automatically closing the sunroof when you turn off the ignition. Its a great feature and I sure wish the M had it as once I left the roof open accidently and the interior got soaked in the rain. Guess Chrylser doesnt want any possible liability issues and prefers the manual closing of the roof.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Did you get your headlight switch replaced when you had the flashings dash lights? If so, do you happen to have the part number of the switch that they installed? I wonder if they redesigned the part and if it carries a new part number.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Someone on the Edmund's board (I forgot who) was asking about shifter knob replacements. I am also interested in this but haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone know of a good site where shifter knobs are available for the M?
    I remember DrPixel having the same problem --he also complained of the seats moving forward automatically----I believe he said they replaced the BCM and it solved the problem---I believe there may be a tsb on this---they are replacing my bcm to solve (hopefully) my light show problem..
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    When your Acura lease is up, are you thinking about giving DC another chance? Or maybe something like a G35? I hear what you're saying about DC (lack of) service. I wouldn't mind even a $30K car breaking down as long as the dealership didn't play games. Like the G35 & would feel comfortable w/Infiniti's local rep for service, but as good as that car is IMHO it just doesn't look as good as the M. What a dilemma. OTOH the thousand$ saved might make up for the aggravation, especially if DC keeps the 7/100K powertrain warranty.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    glenn, I found about 20 sites with extensive inventories of shifter knobs, but none of the automatics were wood grain like I was looking for. If you want me to find some of these sites let me know. I'll track them down again. I remember some wicked carbon fiber ones. :)
    here's one page with good examples. Only a few are automatic so I'll find some more of my links. Take a look at the momo carbon fiber and aluminum. Wow...too bad it's manual only.

http://www.spswebpage.com/products/momo_shifter.html#Performance
    Here are the coolest automatic shift knobs I found.

http://www.mach3accessories.com/shiftknobs.html
    ...and here you go for Francesca
    http://www.mach3accessories.com/shift_knobs/sk_16.html
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    no1trust-

"When your Acura lease is up, are you thinking about giving DC another chance?"

LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL... I don't think so! Their attitude alone was enough to turn me away FOREVER! There are too many choices out there in the same price range that are 1,000 times better- quality wise anyway.

I'll take "boring", but reliable ANYDAY! My car is 15 months old with 15,500+ miles and not ONE problem! Time now for another oil/filter change and a tire rotation/balance. I like the looks of the G35. Have you seen the G35 COUPE? It's coming out in November. Just received a mini brochure from Infiniti.

As for looks- well, nothing looks as good as sdmike2's BigRed! His pics rock! If he lets those Pre-K kids near BigRed again, my opinion might change! ;-))

fastdriver
    Mmmm..... does it call 1-800... oh, never mind!

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0206/13/e01-513459.htm

fastdriver
    If at first you don't succeed....

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0206/13/e01-513462.htm

fastdriver
    Thanks Mike! That's what I was looking for. Right about that Momo for manual trannies. I can't figure out why they don't make them for automatics. You would think that many of the high end cars out there come with auto trans and that the people buying these high end cars have the bucks to blow on candy like $150.00 shift knobs, so why not make them for this market? I mean it can't be that difficult to take a manual knob and make it into auto knob if you're a company like Momo??? They do have the resources!
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Why don't they go the extra step and make these things out of golf clubs?

Will all "automatic" shift knobs work in the 300M -- are these things universal?
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    While checking the oil today I took a good look at the serpentine belt(the wide one) and found many cracks that run straight across the outside of the belt. The dealer tried to sell me a replacement last month, but the price seemed pretty high, so I declined. The SA said DC would not warranty replace a belt at 25k miles, but I would like to escalate this to a District Manager. What is the procedure for escalating a warranty issue?

Thanks in advance,

Silver
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    How was the turning on the PT Cruiser? I heard they used the same platform as the Dodge Avenger (now departed from DC). My wife had a 98 Avenger, as pretty as picture but an impractical car. One of the problems was it had the turning radius of Mack truck! She said she was embarassed when anyone saw her doing her 5-point parking maneuver to get into her small parking spot at work!

I actually thought there were restraints on the wheels for shipping that they forgot to take off -- I couldn't believe the turning radius.
    I didnt notice any turning radius problem and I did do a 3 point turn on a side street---I thought it was actually based on the neon platform. But it handles pretty well and was fairly quiet too except for engine noise on fast acceleration. The turbo thats coming out must be a screamer. Throw on some nice duals and you have a nice inexpensive pretty sharp vehicle--another Chrysler hit!
    Here's a picture of Ed Hanson't PT cruiser with the same dual tips used on Big Red. This is what sold me on them. If you move the spare tire on the PT (mount it inside) there's room underneath for one of those giant Vette mufflers....which is what Ed used. Sounded NICE.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/38170232/38171129MzWUSY
    I have seen those cylindrical automatic knobs listed as "universal", but I've also seen them listed as "honda/acura/toyota". You know the ones....the things that look like colored shotgun shells with the button on top. I think if anyone was interested in one of the shifters in the above links a call to the company that's selling them would be in order before sinking $100+ into it.

Has anyone here disassembled their shifter and can render an opinion on universality (is that a word? lol). Otto? Wire2?

Mike
    I found a few sites that will make whatever you want, including actually casting "anything" in hardened plastic in the shape you want. Some very interesting examples too! No automatics though.
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    "any shape you want...." LOL!

Actually, I thought some of the shifters in your links already reminded me of certain devices an ex-college girlfriend used...on occassion oh...definitely "automatic"!!!!
    On Memorial Day weekend, I was part of a vehicle sandwich; pushed from behind into the pickup in front of me, all started by some moron cutting off someone ahead of the pickup, and finished by someone who apparently wasn't watching the road as well as she should have been.

This accounts for many of the new pics I've been adding to my albums recently.

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/crash/

• russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I participated in the BMW/Susan Koman Drive for Breast Cancer today.
    Drove the 330i convertible, 530i 5 speed, and 745i
    Some observations:
    BMW brakes have got to be the best! All cars braked very strongly with excellent pedal feel.
    Ditto for steering...crisp, firm, excellent weighting.
    Leather...where did they get this stuff? K-Mart?Looks and feels like cheap vinyl.
    Engines..strong and smooth, excellent sounds.
    Transmissions...manual is great, automatic OK in auto mode, lousy in manumatic. The manulatic will not hold a gear, shifts up by itself ar redline. Shifts are slow & sloppy in manumatic mode. Autostick is better!
    The 745i is a bad joke. Technology for technology's sake. Gross overkill.
    Overall the 530i 5 speed gets my nod...now about that price sticker...
    Also drove the Mini Cooper S...what a hoot! Great bang for the buck and loaded with features.
    sorry about your accident--glad youre ok--looks like the M was the least damaged of the vehicle involved---even with your custom plate, the front doesnt look all that bad and the rear hardly looks damaged--but I bet your estimates will be in the $3000 range---let us know what they estimate...
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I am going in next week to have the CV joints replaced. They are starting to make noises when truning. At least it is not the power steering end. This will be the first out of Chrysler warranty work. I will get to use my extended warranty though. The dealer ship must have noted that the warranty is over and hit the self destruct button.
    Sorry, to hear about your car, but glad it is better then ever. At least you didn't have a bullet grill on it.
    OK, I found the shifter knob I want here:

http://glennbp.bizland.com/razo_shifter.jpg

Does anyone have a clue if this will work with the M? It is made by Razo, which I believe is a Japanese company. This knob will fit just about any Japanese car in existence, but will it fit the M?
    You gonna shoot down MIGs with that? wow! Is that the chrome or aluminum? Looks nice. The Mach III website says to e-mail them for application information. Maybe they know if it'll fit the M. If not, might just want to get it after ensuring that it's returnable. :)

Found this site. Says that the RA91 and 92 (and likely all the ones like it) are good for ALL cars except Mitsubishi. http://www.imotorgear.com/product.asp?source=&dept_id=1805&pf_id=18050000P024
    was a bit over $2K, mostly for parts for the front.
    I finally found it -- the three color automotive cocktail rock!

http://www.mach3accessories.com/interior_lights/il_16.html

What the hell is this thing?

It's the modern version of the "Pet Rock"
    hmmmm...the word "cocktail" throws me on that one
    Here's what it says: "Fizz also has other unique lighted accessories, such as the cocktail rock that fits inside your factory cup holder to simulate ice in a cocktail!". Whoopee!

More stuff you NEED: http://www.mechasports.com/msr_catalog/cat_interior_
    sdmike2-

How about the NEON?

http://www.mach3accessories.com/interiorlights.html

fastdriver
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I'm with you on the bimmers...I think they have some great cars, but price tags get kinda scary. I really wanted the 330ix but the price was 42k, ouch! One other thing to note on the interior besides their 'vinyl' leather seats is the fact the interiors are too darn small for the price tag. By small, I mean narrow. That's the reason I loved the 300M so much. Ya know people have wrote on this site saying how 'slow' these cars are, but I don't know where you can find more value and HP in a FULL SIZE car(not mid-size like everyone likes to compare it to), this car is great! As far as speed, only recently has other manufacturers caught up on the HP race. When the M came out in 99, how many 250+ HP cars were on the market in the 30k price range?? Maybe the Aurora, but that has a V8 and costs more! Anyway, enough rambling by me....just love this car!!!!
    you should post your car pic on this site and have it rated: http://www.jockmyride.com/index.asp?prevID=46&ID=47#
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    I see you managed to upgrade to the 2001 style tail lights in the process, so there's always a bright side :) Too bad it crunched your custom front plate frame.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I owned a 3'er at one time and honestly loved the car, but I got totally paranoid owning it because people couldn't keep their grubby paws off it. Nasty folks kept trying to liberate the stereo, or the emblems or... off it.

The brakes effectiveness is partly due to suspension geometry. Next time you see a road test of one watch closely. You'll see the whole car squat down under braking with little if any noise dive. I'm not sure how they make them do that, but it's like they are able to channel the energy into down force on the wheels. At the end of the stop you'll see the whole car lift back up.
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Now that I've covered practically all of the black areas on the center console with extra wood trim pieces, the black "leather" shift knob stands out like a sore thumb! In all of your shifter research have you run across any wood shifter knobs for an automatic???
    I have found VERY few. You'll find at least one of them at the website that I posted for glennbp, but they tend to have a generous offering of chrome and I'm not sure what the wood really looks like.

http://www.mach3accessories.com/shiftknobs.html

However, when I went to the San Diego auto show I saw that the 2002 Lincoln LS on display had a very nice burlwood shift knob in it! I haven't gone out and tried to find this, but if it's a universal fit it might be worth going to a ford (find on road dead) dealer and seeing what they have.

Mike

• blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    One of the VP's in my company lives near me and we frequently run into each other on the way to and from work. He bought an Acura TLS last summer. He just came to my desk a few minutes ago and said "okay...let's go race home." Unfortunately I wasn't ready to go yet. But it's okay...I've beat him many times. It had nothing to do with speed though and everything to do with shortcuts and wise lane changes! (it's getting there first that matters right?) Some day we'll get lucky and end up side by side, first in line at a stop light and we'll give it a go. I'm curious to see if my duals would make a difference. But honestly, I think I'd have a better chance if we started the race at about 70 mph -- I'm sure I could take him then. His car would be shifting into 4th before he hit 90. :-)
    For stopping by, I had a wonderful time chatting with you at the AZ mini meet. We probably have the record for the Smallest 300M club meet on record (along with a mileage record (Chicago to Phoenix))) :). Thanks to your son (Bill) for bringing you. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
    blonda-

GO FOR IT!! ;-)))) Be careful.

fastdriver
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    don't tell this to your TL-S driving colleague. TL-S' tranny has a sweet spot at 80mph. If you floor it at 80mph, it will downshift to 3rd and stay there till redline somewhere around 100mph. And then it shifts into 4th and is not in a sweet spot anymore.

Now if you lure him into 85-90 mph and then floor it, he will only downshift to 4th and lose because 4th is only slightly more aggressive than 5th. Both 4th adn 5th gears are overdrive. TL-S is helpless in 4th. Even using SportShift, you have to know tricks in order to downshift to 3rd at 90mph.

80-85-90-95-100 is the 300M's favorite territory in 3rd gear. And when 300M finally shifts into 4th, it is in a sweet spot again.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Just for that Ford comment, I'll keep my secrets about the wood knob ;).

I have removed my shift knob a few times so am familiar. The knob is held on by two screws, hidden under the bottom trim piece. The shift stalk itself is just a straight piece with a "plunger" in the middle, and the lever at the front of the knob pushes down on a plunger in the shift stalk. The wood (it is real wood) knob is ~$185. The leather is considerably less expensive.
    Hope this helps.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    171 posts since I, uh...er became unconscious in the hospital, and re-emerged in New Jersey semi-zonked and able to read! Whata lot of postings..... so many postings, so many memories of BCM light show effects, puddles in the rear seat wells, etc etc.....This board does have the most posts and is so active--a testament to the 300m I say, hear, hear......pipi,pip.....
    typing is getting better, as pain med usage decreases, (there's a math formaula in there somewhere....).
    Easyrider...hope you get all your last minute warranty repairs fixed.... and thanx for all the jokes ..very funny stuff, esp. Besat Hlloween Costume...also liked air fresheners?!.....liked the site, and am leery of installing some of those lite bars that would lite up the console . I LOVE the way blue neon light's up a car's interior. I'm a frustrated modder at heart I guess.
    Physical therapy progressing--I leave hurting more than when I went in to start the therapy....no pain, no gain?!
    See my MD July 8th, so will not b back to work till most likely the following Monday....too bad, hmm?....
    Hope all is well with everyone---scotian--you got a photopoint cd?.....I thought tey were holding everyone's images hostage?!

fuzzy Doc