Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    lol. Thanks! $185 huh? That's a lot of jelly beans! Do you have the wooden shifter or the leather?
    It's that damned ROM...."Range of Motion" that hurts so bad but is so good for you. I'm in PT for my shoulder and my regimen is stretching, resistance, deep joint massage, ultrasound, and aggressive medicating using electrodes and electric shock to force the medicine into the joint. After my 60 minutes (including 15 minutes of ice) I feel like someone beat me up with a hammer. But every few days when I go in my range is better and my shoulder stronger. What doesn't kill us only serves to make us stronger!! :) Hang in there buddy. Remember....ice and medication are two wonderful things.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I have no idea why my prior post on this topic got deleted, but I just had to try to add my 2 cents worth. As far as I'm concerned, the 300M with the lux group has nicer coachwork than any BMW short of the new 7 series (which is rather ugly IMHO). I've driven a number of Bimmers in situations ranging from informal driving of friends cars to sponsored closed-course comparison testing. They are nice cars, but not worthy of some of the incredible praise heaped upon them by some of the car mags. In terms of the overall package, I prefer the C320 to any BMW 3-series except the much more expensive M3. While I love the smooth power of the 540i's engine, I think the MB E-class is nicer overall (and the new '03 E-class should be even better!).
    Now if I could just get that BMW 540i's V-8 fitted to my 300M I would be one happy camper!!!

Jon
    We raced from light to light a few times and it was pretty even between us. I was expecting to get blown away because the STS has a V8 and about 300hp. But surprisingly I was right with him, even nosing him out a couple of times. I guess him pushing two tons is even worse than me pushing 3,600 lbs.
  • kupper25kupper25 Member Posts: 30
    I am seeing some good comments on other Edmunds boards about Chevron's Techron fuel additive concentrate. Apparently this is an additive in their gasoline which can also be purchased separately as a concentrate for use as a do-it-yourself fuel additive every 3000 mi or so. It is supposed to clean the fuel system, injectors, any valve deposits, etc.

Does anyone have any favorable or unfavorable experience with this product in a 300M?
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I nearly lost my best friend this week when some nut racing his Chevy lost control, spun out & slammed almost head-on into my buddy's vehicle which was stopped at a light. No one thinks street racing games are dangerous- until someone gets badly hurt :(
    If you want to "run" against other cars, please take it to a raceway. There are many fine local tracks around the country which are open to informal competition. Through your patronage you can meet other car enthusiasts, get accurate 1/4 mi times for your mods, support responsible motorsport racing, & you don't endanger the public while doing it.

-End of Soapbox-

FYI- At 3600# & with FWD, our 300M's are simply not efficient dragsters. They generally run 0-60 & 1/4 mi times of upper 7's and upper 15's, respectively. With duals, 70mm TB's, & performance gears, perhaps a few tenths less. Until someone figures out a way to squeeze a turbo or supercharger under the hood (& keep the tranny from getting chewed up by the extra ponies), we'll always be stuck in those time ranges. If you want to see how these numbers "stack up", check out the road tests in the major car mag's (e.g. Car/Driver, Motor Trend, Road/Track).
    FWIW- The stock Seville STS is usually about 3/4th sec quicker 0-60 than our 300M's, & a bit less than that in the 1/4mi. OTOH, the 300M with perf handling easily beats the STS in slalom maneuvers. (And leaves you with extra $$$ in your wallet.)

Jon
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Actually, I have both. I got a full leather steering wheel (mine is/was wood and leather) and the shift knob off ebay for $45! I haven't yet decided yet which I like best. The SST (same as your AutoStick) shifts fore and aft vs. your side to side and the wood can get slippery in autocross type shifting. I just added the SST shifter as the only thing needed to activate it is a PCM reprogramming. It sure makes driving the 15 in traffic more palatable!

I saw your twin getting on the 15 south at Miramar Rd. yesterday. The driver was late 50ish, so I figured it wasn't you ;P. Besides, his was bone stock.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Thanks for the insider info. :-)
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I just read a bunch of Amish teenagers were arrested in NY for racing their buggys late at night, as one lost control and ran into another buggy.

Gee, I wonder how much horsepower they're getting! :-)
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Any recent purchases (price paid etc). Wondering if dealers are doing invoice minus rebate deals on the 300M. Also, any changes for 03? and when is 300M due for a makeover?
    Thanks.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Is good stuff. Probably the only thing worth adding to your car's gas.
    my guess is just 1, maybe 2 if they're using two horses. lol
    What kind of wood do they use in that shifter? Does it look like the 300M burlwood or is it something else? I'd hate to get one and have it clash badly with my trim.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You should easily be able to get invoice or under and then still take off the rebate, on a 2002 300M.

As far as 2003, nothing big, just an optional XM radio by Sirius, a 6cd changer, and Graphite is now available as a color on all models.

Good luck!
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Trying to decide on a 300M, but will probably hold off until Fall. Thanks, PH
    It's a medium dark burlwood. Maybe we could meet next week and I could show it to you?. I pass RB on the way home from work wed-fri around 2:15ish.
  • netcruzrnetcruzr Member Posts: 5
    To all you 300M fans out there,during visit to Russia, I spotted a silver 300M on the streets of Moscow.(I have video tape proof)---It is probably the only 300M in all of Russia.
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    that was me! duals and and a spoiler right? what a hellacious drive. really pushed my m to the limits. i wouldn't recommend it.
    I live close to where 56 and 15 meet. In fact, if we did it on a Friday glennbp could meet us there too (he gets off early on Fridays). Let's wait for Glenn to chime in and maybe set a time for then.

Mike
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    It would be great to meet you all on Friday afternoon, anytime anywhere, just name the place.

Have been working on installing a couple of voltmeters to monitor my fore and aft batteries. Everything worked fine except the dimming circuit which I had hooked up to the head unit dimming circuit which also works fine, but the guages would go flashy and wouldn't dim. I re-read the instructions and it said to hook the dimming wires to the tail light circuit. I did and now it works fine. I can't figure out though why it wouldn't work the other way. Both circuits provide a +12 volt signal. Oh well, when all else fails, read the instructions!
    It's probably stolen...
    ok...how about this.. Right there at the Penesquitos Blvd exit of I-15 is a Mobil station. I think there is room on the far right side of the parking lot to meet. If not, we can go across the street to the Park & Ride behind McDonalds. Ez...if you're coming north on I-15 take the Penesquitos Blvd exit. It's the one after the Scripps/Mercy Rd. exit. Turn left at the top of the ramp, and the Mobil station is on the right after you cross over the freeway. It's about 1 minute from Glennbp's house and about 5 from mine. I'll be there at 2pm on Friday to kick the tires on glenn's stereo and return his scratch remover. Let me know if that works for you.

If you don't work that far south we can always meet up near Carmel Mountain Ranch or RB.

Mike
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I had to rebuild the old one due to the car being lowered the control arms were hitting the box. So I designed the new box and duct system to flow more air. The old one Had a minimum of 3" pipe or about 9.5cu inches of volume. The new one has a minimum of 4" or 16.6cu inches of volume. Plus is is pressurized depending on the speed I am traveling. The box is much tighter also, with only a .25" hole for water to escape. Will take it out to test the system on Thursday (after the new CV joints are installed). I am sure glad this car comes apart so easly.
    Now I can start on some of the other mods I have been planning.
    You guys (figuretivly) are so lucky to live so close to each other and have meetings so often. I have two other M's one block away, but they are not into the car. Have a good get together.
    When I say Midwest I am talking about the Great Basin area (Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, New Mexico, and Arizona. It seem there are very few M's in these areas, Utah has none according to the clubs site. I guess it is time to visit these areas and start carding some potential club members.
    I recieved the speakers, yesterday. Imagion to my suprize when they deliver a large box. I was expecting a small box with the two 2.5" speakers. I open it up and you have six in there.
    Thanks so much for them.
    I want to add two on the rear door (just the the rear of the window) were the "flag area" is I figure it will help when I wire up the rear sound system, for vidio games, Movies, and such.
    I am trying to find a Pillar Pod to install some guages, Trans Temp, Water Temp and Oil Temp.
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    The owners are probably just not aware of either this forum or your club site. Maybe you and/or the San Diego crowd can plant a few cards on your next jaunt here (watch that desert heat up here on the biking, sdmike).
    It will be my pleasure to meet with the "competition" ;). I work at Miramar, so as I officially get off at 2, I should be there between 2 and 2:15 easily. I'll bring the wood shift knob so you can match the shade.

It will be fun!

Mike
    LLSOC So Cal Chapter Director
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    This time I didn't hit the return after the title. To keep this on topic, I did drive the M down to the dock. Two days of perfectly clear 75-80 degree weather in beautiful Juneau. What more can you ask; a fast car to drive to the dock and a fast boat when you get there. Plus, the fridge was actually working and the wine was cold. Didn't get any fish, but that would have been a bother anyway.
    Found in the LHS discussion. I believe they should fit the 300M. Not that I would ever consider buying these things...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1836247743

My driver side inside door handle (the chrome one) has developed a sharp edge along the top seam. Upon further inspection it looks like this thing is nothing but chromed plastic. If it was metal I'd grind the sharp edge off, but it sure doesn't look metal. Opinions on what it's made of?
    Why are 300Ms listed as 300E on eBay?

Spare transmission, anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1835840575
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    netcruzr-

I'm sure ruski would tell us that it belonged to the Russian Mafia since they're the only ones who could afford cars like this over there.

fastdriver
    These damn boring/reliable cars are selling like crazy. Is this a repeat of the 80's?

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0206/16/a15-515840.htm

fastdriver
    WHY is the PT Cruiser getting ALL the attention and upgrades, while the "flagship" car from 99 stagnates?

http://detnews.com/2002/autosconsumer/0206/16/autos-513080.htm

fastdriver
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Kind of pathetic, isn't it? The PT's sales have sunk like a ship lately, mainly because the novelty's gone and everyone has one. So, I guess that would be why they want to keep putting money into it and keep it alive.

Now, a base 300M on the other hand stickers for almost double that of a base PT, and would probably give them better earnings, but they've done nothing to it. Paint colors, real wood, wheels, and that's about it. Oh, I forgot, last year they added a tacky grill and took the letters off the sides--wow! Car and Driver said it best when they tested the Special. They loved the M in 99' and 00', but it quickly lost footing with new and ever-improving entries to the market like the screaming TL-S and speedy I35, and now the blazing G35. I can only hope the 300N is one heck of a sport/luxury sedan when it FINALLY comes out (have they delayed it enough?!).
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Ummmmm, the article cited by fastdriver talks about a chrome accent package for the PT - not that big a deal IMO, nor is it relevant to what has or has not happened with the 300M. The PT turbo is a significant development, but that is mostly indicative of how underpowered the PT was from the start. The same article also contradicts beach's claim of sinking sales: "Sales of the PT Cruiser remain brisk, with a 33 percent jump in sales last month compared with May 2001. For the year, PT Cruiser sales are 1 percent higher than they were for the first five months of last year."

The current 300M will have a run of 5 or 6 years. More power or a 5 speed during that time would have been nice, but it's quite a car as is. I personally can't fault DC for focusing its resources on developing the 300N. People who buy a car that they presumably like (after presumably investigating and test-driving it) and then get upset because another car comes out with a few more horsepower sort of mystify me. Has their car somehow gotten slower? I still am not aware of any other car that offers the complete package of the 300M (handling, power, looks, luxury features, and interior room) for anything close to its price.
    denverm-

Mmmm.... according to US Automotive News sales of the PT Cruiser fell from:

97,516 from 1/1/01-6/16/01
    to
    80,035 from 1/1/02-6/15/02

Who to believe?

fastdriver
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I don't know which source is correct (they do address different time periods), but I would have guessed that PT sales have fallen (like they do for every new fad car - Miata, New Beetle, etc.). Frankly, I don't really care that much about PT sales numbers, other than wishing DC well in general. I mainly was responding to the assertion that DC is focusing on the PT to the detriment of the 300, but I somehow just couldn't resist quoting sales info that contradicted our young friend - my bad! ;-)
    I just read (already believed) in the latest USAToday about the expected 'car wars' by U.S. automakers w/incentives coming in the next few months. IMHO the M is a great car (though apparently the service isn't) but I WANT DC to have a glut of cars they are desperate to unload. I HOPE competitors like the G35 or (ugh) the CTS puts pressure on DC sales. Guess why?:) PLEASE, DC, overproduce the 2003 model.
    no1trust-

I read that USA article too. Time will tell I guess. Looks like a good time to buy a new car. DC is extending the time limit for offering the 7/70 or whatever it is.

fastdriver
    sdmike2-

Same to you!

fastdriver
    sirharper-

RELIABILITY?

fastdriver
    And SO TRUE.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I am truly getting sick and tired of this assinine reliability contest between Japanese and American cars. No one here will argue that the reliability of Japanese autos was superior in years past. Hell, what you were buying back then was a motorcycle with 4 wheels and a body. But as Japanese mfgs. began increasing the level of sophistication of their cars so too did the problems. The reliability gap has and continues to close fast! If you really look at the complaints and do the research, you will see that with few exceptions American designed and built autos are every bit as reliable as their foreign counterparts. It is image that is the toughest barrier to overcome and it will be years more before that image of Japanese superiority goes away, unfortunately. I lived in Japan for 4 years (from 1997 to 2001) and I promise you that virtually all Japanese marques have plenty of problems. Talk to the Japanese people about their Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Mitsubishis, and all the rest and you find as much dissatisfaction as you care to hear. It's also interesting that many Japanese would prefer to drive an American or German auto but can't afford them due to the insane Japanese import tariffs on foreign cars. Come on people... let the reliability battle die; as far as I'm concerned it's already dead; some folks just don't want to admit it.
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    People sure do have short memories don't they? I guess they have forgotten how the early Honda Civics littered the sides of American Highways.
    glennbp-

Mmmmm...... so is it just a figment of the imagination (image) that they keep winning awards like JD Power? Actually, I don't go much by awards/honors etc. especially after reading in autoextremist.com about how awards such as Motor Trend's are really chosen. I go by real world results from family and friends.

To each his own. I'm very happen with what I drive now. Who knows what my next car will be. I know what it won't be and why.

fastdriver
    sirharper-

"People sure do have short memories don't they? I guess they have forgotten how the early Honda Civics littered the sides of American Highways."

Look how far they've come now.

fastdriver
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    If people want to pay more and get less, endure far higher service costs, and drive a soulless car who am I to agrue?