Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Crew Photo Gallery

Comments

• Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I've thought about it and then forgot...I guess I'm now thinking about it again...thanks. :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, Stephen, a bird could fly in there, LOL.

-juice
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    your OEM WRX hood scoops are small, you don't know small!

Jim
  • Options
    I'm not sure you should be announcing it quite that way! LOL!! People may get the wrong idea!
    :-0

Stephen
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I've seen some pretty clever Home Depot designs.

-Dennis
  • Options
    My WCSS4 doorprize, 1/18th scale model of2001 Rally Champion, ltd edition #2171 of 2800 made:

My WCSS4 awards:

A little beefcake self-promo (LOL!!):

himage

Stephen
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You started a trend. Now we'll all have start showing our bodies here. Is Edmunds ready for this?!

Bob
  • Options
    Probably not!!!

All of a sudden sheepish in Seattle,
    Stephen :-)
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Well...it might attract more female Subie owners! :-)
  • Options
    I think I'd scare women away, LOL.

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    But Lana didn't. ;-)
    Hey, she's got a good eye for a few good men. :D

-Dave
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
  • Options
    I embarrassed myself, :-) Let's just say that I try and enjoy the sun as much as I can in the Seattle summer (it really isn't an oxymoron)!

Stephen
  • Options
    Pics of my neighbor's 91'Legacy across the street from my house, my 02'WRX, and another neighbor's 00'OB down the street from me. This is 3 of 8 Soobies on my block.

Stephen

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Nice photo, Stephen. So, is your block representative of the rest of the area?

Ken
  • Options
    Oh yeah baby!! Ok...sorry, just saw Goldmember yesterday, LOL! Yes, there are Subarus everywhere you turn in the NW. Because we don't use salt on the roads when they're icy or snow-covered (we use sand...talk to my windshield, ouch), there are a lot of late 70's and early 80's Soobs chuggin' around. Mostly the late 80's and early 90's are the representative older models around. I see a lot of SVXs and XTs too (relatively speaking, of course.)

Stephen
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    It's the same here in the Comox Valley. One of my co-volunteers at the Food Bank drives a GL, and when we have granola left over, she just puts it in the gas tank and drives off (old hippy Subaru joke). There are a few rust buckets, but they were mainly brought in from out-of-Province. BTW, there seems to be a local bylaw requiring all Outbacks to be wintergreen.

Ross
  • Options
    I know what ya' mean, LOL!! BTW, how's retirement treating you? :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    It's infectuous.

Remember, those lil' Subies were the only cars out on the road when there was snow, so rust is more likely for models from the pre-galvanized steel days.

-juice
  • Options
    Retirement is something that should not be put off. I've come to the conclusion that one should retire at about 25. At age 65 one can go back to work until death occurs. I love the Valley, I keep busy with about 13-15 hours a week volunteering. I play golf and bridge. I'm developing a fairly active social life - something new for me - and I'm exploring my new world. One thing I do miss is Rufus. My current ride is fine for the slow pace of Valley life, but lacks the clearance to drive the lovely logging roads which abound here. I'm either going to have to raise it or find a more suitable beast if I'm to get back to flyfishing. Otherwise, life has never treated me so kindly.

Ross, Retired and Living in Paradise (and rain)
  • Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    a legacy almost identical to your neighbors 91 wagon. He bought it used but put 80,000 miles a year on his car and last time I talked to him he had over 300,000 miles and still running strong.
    -scott
  • Options
    I'm ready to retire at 33, Ross, but my banker doesn't agree! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    That will all change when I come OUT of retirement to become EMPEROR OF THE UNIVERSE. Hang in there, if I get bored (heaven forbid) I'll take the job and you'll see lots of changes.

Ross, Delusional but Happy
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Can't wait for you to get that EOU crown!

body shots of us???....erm, no. At least not until I shed a good 8 pounds.

=:-O
  • Options
    Yeah, or in my case 80!

-juice
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    speaking of pounds, or, um, kg.
    Anyone knows a GOOD way to shed them? I like to walk (cannot run: knee problem) but hate gyms. The problem is, I do like FOOD :-( and I do like driving (which is not exactly an exercise).

My ideal way would be to take a magic pill that makes me thin while I'm driving my Forester on windy mountain roads, on a way to a nice remote restaurant.

dream on...
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Swim! Easy on the knees, burns a lot of calories.

Walking is good too. Walk far, often and at a fast pace.

And as a third option, aerobics in the home, or at the very least situps / crunches, push-ups and leg lifts.

You do have to tackle the diet part first though to be successful. I've never been much of an eater so I don't think I can help you much. I was out of shape and now am in better shape, but at my worst I was 6' and a pudgy, soft 175. Since February I've dropped 15lb and still look about the same with clothes, but I can feel the difference around my waist. Few more months and I'll have the six-pack back that I did as a youth...

-Colin
  • Options
    Kate,

Well, as you know the mechanics for losing weight's simple: burn more calories than you eat. The best way is probably to modify things on both ends -- increase your activity level a bit and decrease the amount you eat.

Like Colin said, swiming is a great low-impact, high-aerobic sport. You burn 4x more calories per given distance swimming than running. You can also try walking laps in the shallow end of the pool for variation.

Cycling is another great exercise that's relatively easy on the knees. Since you don't like gyms, try and ride outside. You have the benefit of the great Bay Area weather (okay, maybe not right now, but typically so).

If you do join a gym, you also have the option of eliptical trainers, recumbant bikes, spinning classes, rowing machines, etc.

Whatever you do, the important thing is to make it a regular part of your day. Do it first thing in the morning or during your lunch break. I find it too easy to blow off a workout at the end of the day.

As for the eating part of it, just reduce your portions a little. Continute to eat what you want, but just eat a little less of everything. Diets fail because people try to maintain quantity but skimp on the quality. The first few weeks are tough, but your body will adjust (ie. become more efficient) and you'll notice you can get by with less food even with a higher activity level.

That's basically how I lost a good 20lbs two years ago. Keeping it off is easy if you let it happen gradually over time.

Ken
  • Options
    In addition to Colin's recommendations, I would add cycling (road or stationary bike) to the list. I've been through a couple of knee surgeries, and I've noticed that physical therapists always get their knee-surgery patients on bikes as quickly as possible. Cycling is good at increasing flexibility, burning calories and fat, and adding muscle mass.

Ty

EDIT: Doh! Ken beat me to the cycling recommendation. I didn't realize you lived in the Bay Area, though. That being the case, there are a lot of road bikers there that you could ride with (I grew up in Mountain View/Los Altos). Try and avoid the hills at first until you build up your muscles, then slowly introduce hills into your routine as your knee allows.
  • Options
    Ty,

Are you a Bay Area native? I'm more a mountain biker, myself however. I live in San Mateo so I have great access to the parks and open space preserves along the Peninsula. I also do go down to the Santa Cruz mountains from time to time. This weekend, I'm heading out to Mt. Hamilton.

Ken
  • Options
    yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    As an older guy with bum knees, I can vouch for the bicycling routine. The trick is to always use lower "gears" and concentrate on high revolutions per minute. As with good vehicles, it's also important to purchase a "good" bike that fits you properly.

I'd be happy to share experiences with you if you want to e-mail me.

Don
  • Options
    sten2sten2 Member Posts: 31
    The easiest way to lose weight is to do strength training. Muscle burns energy all day by raising your metabolism. I have done my share of aerobic activity as well; I used to race as a XC skier at the international level back when Subaru used to sponsor us.

The most efficient use of time for losing weight (fat) is to do strength training. You don’t need to do muscle beach weight lifting, you don’t want to build up a lot of useless bulk. In fact I never lift any weights or go to any clubs. Just use your body mass. Push-ups, sit-ups, jumping, chin ups, dips, squats, toe raises, back-ups. Isometrics work really well too (flexing). You can also do little sprints in whatever sport you enjoy: swimming, running, soccer, biking. This will build power strength.

It is good to eat healthy too, and drink lots of fluids. But if you cut back on your eating with out exercising your metabolism will slow and you will suffer without making any long-term gains.

Besides the strength training most people recommend doing one longer aerobic endurance work out a week (if you have the time and would enjoy it). The key to any exercise program is finding something you enjoy otherwise it won’t help long-term.
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Kate,

My wife and I also share a common liking for walking and eating. We combine the two by walking to dinner, or walking to breakfast. The walk has to be at least 30 minutes each way. One might argue that eating while walking just negates the benefits gained - but you have to look at it the other way. You were going to eat dinner/breakfast anyway, but by walking to/from your meal you have added a quite enjoyable bit of exercise you might otherwise not have had! We recently walked an hour each way to breakfast. Sat outside enjoying our bagel and coffee, then walked back home again. The only drawback is not being able to drive the Subaru! Try it.

And bicycling is a blast. Easy on the knees as long as you follow yellow's advice to keep the revs up and the gears low. I once pushed too hard up a hill and learned to regret it. But on the whole, cycling is very rewarding and a great way to get around. I'd combine it with the daily life more, like walking, but my wife has never learned to be comfortable on a bike in traffic. I can respect that opinion, and would be the last to say that riding in traffic is a safe activity. But you have to do what you must. And there are lots of off-road opportunities too. Not all mountain biking is extreme like you see in ads or the television. Trail riding is a great way to see wildlife - rattlesnakes, coyotes, hawks, roadrunners have brightened many a ride for me.

Steve
  • Options
    Colin: you remind me of my cousin's wife, Jim. 6 pack without even trying, despite going through a pound of butter each week. He's the one that had the Outback and traded it in for the Ody after his 3rd kid.

Kate: get into air popped popcorn. It's filling and has not many calories, just watch the toppings.

Come over and chase my 3 year old around for a day, you'll lose 5 pounds guaranteed!

-juice
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    The right program for one person is rarely the right program for another. I think the bottom line remains true: we all deal with a double ledger system of calories in and energy out. There are no shortcuts or tricks to get around that brute fact. But each person who wants to lose needs to choose the right personal program that limits caloric intake while encouraging exercise. I've lost 67 pounds since April, but I'm sure the program that worked for me is unlikely to be acceptable to anyone else on earth. For one thing, my weekly bill for hydroponic tomatoes is so steep I'd like to switch to cocaine to save money.

Steve
  • Options
    Hey, Ken! I lived in the Mountain View/Los Altos area until I finished high school, then moved to Utah to pursue my education. I've lived in Utah ever since (9 years?).

San Mateo and Santa Cruz are great areas! My aunt and grandma live in Santa Cruz, my mom and step dad live in Carmel Valley, and my dad and step mom live in Los Gatos. My wife and I try to go back twice a year and visit the fam.

I was pretty serious about road biking when I was in junior high and high school. I didn't get into mountain biking until college. Utah has some amazing mountains and trails for mountain biking, and terrible roads for road biking, so the switch was a necessity. Moab offers the most incredible peddling terrain I've ever encountered. I've dropped both sports now, though, and focus on running and weight training. I have to keep certain leg muscles plenty strong to avoid major knee problems, and running seems to help the most (counterintuitive, I know, but it works).

Sorry for the OT post, everyone. Maybe I'll get a snap shot of my Subie in front of my local gym to get back on topic :-)
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You can always take your weight loss and healthy living ideas/support to the Subaru Cafe, where the pies and pastries are no-calorie! :-)
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    heh, thanks for the nudge Karen.

-Colin
  • Options
    True, but we could post the proof of the results here.

-juice
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Is your cousin's wife really named Jim? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) Ironically, we have three kids too, and we traded in our 2000 Odyssey for an '02 Outback! Our oldest drives, and my middle one is getting her license in October and has her own car already. So, we no longer needed the van, and my wife really liked the OB better. Still does, after a month. (Good thing...it's too late to change her mind now!)

Len
  • Options
    Uh, um, duh, ...

They could fit 3 kids in the back (I even took a photo), but the problem came when they started car pooling to school and had to take other kids.

-juice
  • Options
    Uh, oh. Are you suggesting before and after shots, juice? :-o

Ken
  • Options
    He won't let me take a pic of his Ody 'cause it full of dings and paint chips already.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options

-Dave

• Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Nice shots that guy took!

I might have to put some of those on the Team IAC Page! On that note, I took 23/45 out of all the subies and MR2s at the auto-x, not bad for the slowest heaviest, most underpowered car of the lot!

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Great pics! Those WRX wheels looked like they belong on the OBS.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Looks fun. You guys were tearing up the pavement.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.