Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    My source puts invoice at $25,375. Standard rebate was $1,000, then another $1,550 to go the balloon route, so total rebate is $2,550 and I bought for $1,325 under. All quotes were received via email from the internet managers at 3 dealerships. I read an earlier post in here from someone who bought from the same dealer as I and he paid $22,800 for a touring package, which invoices for about $1,100 more than mine so I knew the overall discount was in the ballpark. There was a trade involved but I had this deal buttoned down before we started talking trade. Didn't get as much as I wanted for it (who does?) but came within $500 of what I set out to get and didn't want the hassle of selling it on my own. So I figure the dealer will make the typical $2,000 plus on my trade.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    so which dealership did you buy from Im interested as the dealer in Arlington is doing much for me and would save me alot of time if you could please let us in on the dealer so I could go straight to them and work a trade...thanks, Jeff

OK i found it Huffines in Plano...at least i think this is correct....
  • Options
    pete37pete37 Member Posts: 1
    Got a quote of $21952(it's without a rebate cause I want to use manufacturer's special financing rate) on 2007 SF SE without any option packages. Is this a good price to consider? Anyone got lower quotes on this particular combination of the vehicle? I'm in suburban Chicago.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Jeff - Allen Samuels in Fort Worth, actually closer to N. Richland Hills near 820 and 26.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    Im reading here about GREAT deals and have used edmunds quote but am not recieving any good offers. Ive gotten calls back but no pricing except one place that emailed and called and quoted $23,500 for base GLS Auto with premium package to get sunroof....It seems like people are picking up limited models or SE below what im being quoted for a GLS....i guess i'll just keep trying....maybe i'll get lucky but not so far
  • Options
    tcwiklatcwikla Member Posts: 7
    This will depend on dealer inventory and timing. Shop around at the end of the month at a dealer with a lot of inventory to move. The price quoted seems quite poor as I purchased a limited with Premium, mats, and cargo tray for 100 less which includes dest. and rebate but before TTL late April. A holiday would also be a good time to check.
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Assuming that the car has carpeted mats, they're offering to sell it to you at invoice. (If you back out the $1000 rebate you're at $22,500.)

Many here are reporting far deeper discounts ($2000 under invoice less the rebate). Frankly, I don't know how these deals are happening - why would a dealer take a $1000 - $2000 loss on one of these things? I suspect that some (though not necessarily all) of these "great" deals includes an undervalued trade that the poster failed to mention.

A month ago, I got my Limited AWD with Premium Package for exact invoice less the $1000 rebate. The dealer kept the 2% holdback and as far as I know, that's the only profit he made. I wasn't about to try to negotiate away any part of his $560 profit.
  • Options
    kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    "I suspect that some (though not necessarily all) of these "great" deals includes an undervalued trade that the poster failed to mention."

I think you're right. There are also other possible explanations, such as above-market financing or dealer add-ons (dealer prep fees, paint protection packages, undercoating, window etching, etc.). If the dealer has a buyer who can qualify for a 6% interest rate, for example, but gets the buyer to sign up for aloan at 9%, that's amounts to $1,875 in excess interest on a $25,000 loan over 60 months. The lenders typically pay the dealer some amount for signing up the buyer, and the higher the rate the buyer signs up for, the more money the dealer makes.
  • Options
    tcwiklatcwikla Member Posts: 7
    I suspect these are high volume dealers with sales over the weekend. For example, the dealer I went to still has 28 Limited's in stock; heck they have 300 Sonata's in stock to get rid of! Everyone should know to keep price negotiation separate with a trade (I would not let a dealer to even look at my trade before a price for the new vehicle was agreed upon). Multiple quotes from several dealers help also. My Febuary 07 build Bright Silver Limited FWD from the sticker was $26145 plus $950 for Premium plus $95 for floor mats and $90 for the rear cargo tray plus $670 for freight. A quick question of "What is your best price today?" yielded and offer of $23380 plus TTL. Sold! :)
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You're neglecting manufacturer to dealer incentives and volume bonuses.

For example, we bought a 2007 Sonata SE w/XMin February. Selling price was $1900 under invoice, less $1,000 general rebate, less $1,000 HMFC financing rebate (5.9% for 60 months) less $500 owner loyalty fopr a total of $4400 under INVOICE. This was from an excellent high volume dealer in NJ. They made money.

Their current internet pricing for new Santa Fe's is $1500 below invoice, less $1,000 general rebate, less $500 owner loyalty if qualified. These discounts apply to any trim level.
  • Options
    angy168angy168 Member Posts: 18
    Name of the NJ dealer? I would like to check them out since I am in NY area. $1500 below invoice is an excellent starting point. I also think this coming month end will be a good bargaining time since it's the 2nd quarter end.
  • Options
    Lots of speculation here about what "could be" while everyone tries to justify why they paid what they did. The important thing is that you are satisfied with your purchase price and nothing else should matter. But since some have asked, for the record my price wasn't contingent upon an undervalued trade or any valueless add-ons. As I stated earlier, it WAS contingent upon the balloon financing where they hit you with a 9.25% interest rate, but I only did that to get the extra rebate and will refinance at my own credit union for less than half that rate within the month. As for the discounts well below invoice, bhmr59 is right on the money. Inventory and other dealer incentives (as well as timing) are a huge part of this game, so what appears on the surface as a huge loss for the dealer on one unit still allows them to make money overall. Not everyone will get the same deal but it will be because not everyone will do the same amount of research either. Every internet bid I received OPENED at below invoice as this is what my particular market will bear right now.

• Options
    All good stuff, guys. Thanks for the info. While it still makes no sense to me that a dealer would sell at such a big loss, it's clear that many of them do. :confuse: Mine, however, did not! Still, I really like my Limited AWD / Premium and, while I clearly paid more than some others here, I suspect that I'll forget about that long before I stop enjoying the car. ;)
  • Options
    Angy, it's Towne Hyundai in Denville NJ. Check their website for internet pricing and give them a call.

These are the prices, no dickering, no "end of the month" deals. (That means no need to wait until the end of month or quarter.)

At the time we bought, Towne Hyundai beat Fitzmall by about $800. A friend of mine bought a new Azera from them in April. The internet deals are for everyone. No hassle and no BS. Nice clean deal and the people are great to do business with.
  • Options
    dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    Here's the link:
    http://www.townehyundai.com/MiscPage
    Almost $5,000 off MSRP.
  • Options
    I would like to say thanks to this forum the elantra and sonata forums for all the very helpful input. I had done my homework on edmunds and had had my trade appraised at a competing dealer so i knew the value and had talked to 3 dealerships on the phone to prep them i might be coming 2 which were very nice one not so nice but in the end the one i went to i never had dealt with in any way, lol...probably why it took so long plus my sales person had only worked there 6 days.

I had gone in with every intention of getting a elantra or sonata and drove both and was very suprised the quality feel and roominess. I then decided for kicks to drive the Santa Fe...well i liked it alot even though i was going for better gas mileage. They appraised my trade and were $1,500 under what the last dealer said and gave me payments of $450 month, lol...i told them i knew what its worth and i had done all my homework and knew what i should be offered. They came back again said we will give you what you owe on your jeep if you pay $350 month, lol...I said NO. I had my wife with me it was 10:30 at night and we were very tired and even I was ready to go home.

Her Father sells GMC so she kinda knows the games..so she went straight up to the bosses pit told them she is ready to leave its late. We want $248/month 24 months. I was laughing as my negotitating skills are a somewhat less harsh. So the head guy came down said $248/month on 24 month balloon note. So here are the details.

2007 Santa Fe GLS, Platinum Sage
    MSRP $23,300 Including destination charges
    Discounted $5,574
    or $17,726
    and a total of
    $17,949 OTD
    4.9% financing

I paid no Taxes as they said something about my trade was valued above the value of the santa fe...fine by me. It took to long IMO but in the end they were very nice...will give us One Free Fill Up,One Free Oil Change, One Free Detailing and XM for 3 months is nice.

Im pleased with the deal and glad my wife was there as she cut out the back and forth negotiating. Thanks Again..and the was done at Vandergrif Hyundai in Arlington, Texas
  • Options
    aephemeaepheme Member Posts: 48
    Some of the prices in here are amazing! I'm still not entirely sure how dealers can sell so far below invoice (when you take all rebates into consideration). Those high volume awards must be something else!

Regardless, I'm currently trying to decide between three different trim levels. Here are the prices listed (inc. $1000 rebate, APP Discount, doesn't include dest / TTL):

Santa Fe SE, AWD, No Options ~ $23,000
    Santa Fe Ltd, AWD, No Options = $24,900
    Vera Cruz GLS, AWD, No Options = $26,000

Any thoughts? I'm kind of leaning towards the middle option here, but then I realized that the baseline Vera Cruz is only $1000 more! That's not much more... then again, if people here are getting prices beneath those, it might not be as reasonable by comparison.
  • Options
    While my wife and I were working our deal, my father was trying to buy a Vera Cruz. They said not much incentives right now on them but if he were willing to wait a couple of months he knew they would have some nice discount available and thought he could balloon note one for about $325/month for 24 months...so my father is patiently waiting, lol....
  • Options
    I'd say they're great deals. Assuming that the Santa Fes have XM and that all of the vehicles you're looking at havethe optional carpeted floor mats (which the dealers seem to always order), invoice prices are as follows:

Santa Fe SE AWD: $25,290
    Santa Limited AWD: $27,171
    Veracruz GLS AWD: $27,364

(These numbers don't take the rebates into account.) You could take any one of those deals and feel good about it.

A month ago I, too, was trying to decide between the Santa Fe and the Veracruz. (I didn't even know the Veracruz existed until my wife and I went to the dealership to check out the Tucson and the Santa Fe.)

While the Veracruz is a terrific vehicle, we ended up buying a Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium Package. It was largely a matter of size and cost. The Veracruz is a large vehicle; it's just my wife and me (no kids) and the Santa Fe is our 3rd vehicle so we don't have the need for one as large as the Veracruz. The Santa Fe's smaller size gives it a sportier feel makes it easier to park, etc.

In addition, had I gone with a Veracruz it would have likely been a Limited. (I prefer to "load up" my cars!) At that point (and considering that dealers typically aren't discounting Veracruzes nearly as much as they are Santa Fes), the price difference became substantial. For us, it became an easy choice.

If you go with your choice # 3 (Veracruz GLS AWD), in addition to the larger size you'll get the 3rd row seat, a 6-speed transmission (as opposed to the Santa Fe's 5-speed), and rear A/C controls. What you won't get in the Veracruz but would get with the Santa Fe Limited AWD are leather seating (with front row heat and driver's power lumbar adjustment), electronic climate control (as opposed to manual A/C), and the power driver's seat.

I haven't driven a Veracruz so I can't compare its driving experience with that of the Santa Fe. What I can tell you is that the Santa Fe Limited AWD is an absolute pleasure to drive. I consider myself a diehard "car guy" with high expectations of a vehicle. (My other current car is a 2005 Corvette; recent past vehicles include Volvo XC90 AWD and Audi A6 4.2 quattro.) I will say without hesitation that the Santa Fe is every bit as enjoyable to drive and every bit as high quality as the 2-month-old Volvo XC90 it replaced. (The Volvo was a company car. When I left the company, I gave back the car!) I actually look forward to driving the Santa Fe.

If I could, I'd make a few changes. (They'd apply to both the Santa Fe and the Veracruz so this stuff won't affect your decision.) I'd prefer to have navigation and xenon headlights but Hyundai offers neither in the U.S. Rumor is that navigation will be optional on the 2008 models; I'm hoping to retrofit a 2008 navigation head unit into my 2007.

Other niggles (and they're admittedly very minor) include no backlighting on the power mirror or moonroof controls, the rear hatch window can't be opened separately from the hatch door, the rear bumper lights (wired as rear fog lights on Santa Fes for other markets) don't do anything on U.S. versions. That's pretty much it. The Santa Fe is a great vehicle, period.

One thing to check if you end up buying a Santa Fe: On early-build Santa Fes the front overhead lights don't illuminate when you open the doors. It's a poor design that is quite annoying when you enter the car at night. Later-build versions incorporate a mid-year production change that corrects this. For me, not having the lights come on would have been a deal breaker; luckily, the one we bought was just delivered to the dealer just a month ago and it had the changed (i.e. "illuminating") lights. The good news is that Hyundai has designed a retrofit to correct this design flaw at no cost to owners of earlier versions who request it.

Sorry for the rambling post - hope this info helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    I'm always amazed at how many of these "great deals" involve a balloon loan in Texas. If you paid no sales tax because your trade was valued above the SF, then why are you borrowing close to $18K?
  • Options
    yeah i thought about that this morning....they threw that at me last night when i was signing the papers at 11pm about no taxes. I figured thats how they made some of their money on the deal. Either way it worked out good for me and im happy. I dropped $475/mo payments on a 2 year old jeep wrangler i still had 41 months to pay on plus it only got 14mpg and i could not use my cell phone while driving due to noise..and no safety features at all....

Now at $248/mo 24 months and IM DONE!!! will trade in for a elantra or sonata in 2 years i will not refi...and who knows what gas prices will be by then...3, 4, 5 a gallon.

If i had of known about no taxes due to my trade being valued more i would have probably negotiated for less...but i had to take the ballon to get the additional $1,500 but they took $5,500 off sticker...dont know how and dont really care but i could not even buy an elantra SE for 72 months no money down for less....Its not the best deal but i dont feel like i got taken...but maybe a little on the tax portion you refered to but still happy overall....
  • Options
    aephemeaepheme Member Posts: 48
    mpuzach, just wanted to say "Thanks!" for the thoughts. As a single guy, I feel that I'm in agreement with the choice of the Santa Fe based on size. It would be nice to be able to toss a bike or two in, but I'll probably appreciate the leather seats more than the flexibility the extra space gives.

Major thanks for the heads-up on the dome light! I had no idea... that's a good thing to know.
  • Options
    You're welcome! BTW, when you fold down the rear seats in the Santa Fe the storage area is large and completely flat. In addition, you can also fold the front passenger seat completely flat. I'm betting that you can easily fit a bike or two. Good luck and please keep us posted. ;)
  • Options
    slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    "In addition, you can also fold the front passenger seat completely flat."

Really! Yours must be unique, mine doesn't have this feature. :(
  • Options
    roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    I've gotten my bike in the rear by folding down half the rear seat (behind the driver); although I haven't tried, I'm sure you could get two bikes in there with a couple of blankets for padding.
  • Options
    rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    I'm the one who paid $22,800 in March. There was no trade-in involved. I did finance with Hyundai to get an extra rebate, but the finance rate was 4.35%.
    Sounds like you got a really good deal too. I hope you also have a good experience with Allen Samuels. Our salesman was a pleasure to deal with. Also, the dealership sent us a booklet for several free oil changes, and they activated the auto-lock feature for free at our first oil change. I have been very pleased with the dealership and with the Santa Fe. Anyone interested in a Hyundai in the north Texas area should at least see what Allen Samuels Hyundai in Ft. Worth can do for you.
  • Options
    "In addition, you can also fold the front passenger seat completely flat."

"Really! Yours must be unique, mine doesn't have this feature."

Sorry about that. I was thinking of the Tucson; its front passenger seat folds completely flat but the Santa Fe's does not.
  • Options
    Allen Samuels Hyundai has been terrific on the phone and now my father is working with them on getting a Sante Fe or Vera Cruz, and wish i had gone to them to check on the SF.

Lesson learned for me was not having to pay sales tax if trading in a vehicle with a higher value. I could have walked in with no trade and done the same deal for the same money. So they got me for roughly $1,100 on the taxes they rolled into the SF. So i should have been able to step up to the next package or a little lower payments...

I still think I worked on OK deal even with being taken on the taxes, but with all the negotiating games and taking several hours to complete i would not recommend the dealer. They should have been upfront, and not throw the no tax at me at 11pm only for me to figure out the next day...its a shame i would have been 100% satisfied, but i will have to live with 90%.

My wife and I are completely satisfied with the SF and luved the Veracruz. Our SF came with more features on a GLS than many competitors mid level models. W really like the firm feel on the road, power options, very quite V6 and the total airbag curtains and ESC. Congrats to Hyundai for bringing the best valued vehicles and some of the safest to market.

Im now talking to Allen Samuels about trading in my Vibe for a Sonata...it might just work.. Thanks Again...Jeff
  • Options
    2007ltdpwp2007ltdpwp Member Posts: 11
    I purchased my SF Limited in Oct. of '06(post #360 this forum). We love everything about it except the front inside light feature you mentioned...tell me more about the retrofit:

1- do we have to take it back to the dealer we bought from? (100miles away)
    2- have a local dealer with decent service dept.(salesman would not come off of $500 over invoice at time of purchase)
    3- no cost retro fit, easy fix just for the asking???
  • Options
    Any dealer can perform the retrofit but you must make arrangements in advance through the Hyundai customer service department. To do so, call (800) 633-5151 ext. 54204 (Barbara). She has been arranging for the fixes. Others on these forums have stressed the importance of speaking specifically with Barbara at the above extension as most of the other customer service reps are unfamiliar with the retrofit. The retrofit will be done at no charge to you. BTW, there's A TON of info on this at the Edmunds forum, 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. I recommend checking it out.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,188
    2007 Hyundai Santa Fe general discussion.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    slisstudentslisstudent Member Posts: 40
    I think you got a great deal. In fact, your deal made me drive out to the nearest Hyundai dealer to check out the Santa Fe's....and their lot (Allen Samuels) was overflowing with SF's, Sonata's, Dodge Rams, etc.

I was very impressed with what I saw and the value for the money is exceptional, however, I am concerned with some of the reported mileage here on this board. Unless I can negotiate a fair price for a CR-V, it appears I will be purchasing a Santa Fe at the end of this month (but not from Vandergriff).
  • Options
    I'm curious - what do you like better about the CR-V vs. the Santa Fe? I test drove a CR-V EX with leather and navigation before ultimately buying my Santa Fe Limited AWD and was quite unimpressed with the Honda. I found it to be underpowered and didn't care for the interior at all. The onlt redeeming feature was the optional navigation but even that wasn't enough to overcome its other weaknesses IMO.
  • Options
    technikaltechnikal Member Posts: 14
    We own both a CR-V and a Santa Fe.

Positives of the CR-V:
    - Better fit and finish
    - Taller cargo area & lower loading height
    - Much better gas mileage
    - Much better retained value

Positives of the Santa Fe
    - More power
    - Quieter ride
    - More standard options
    - More room for negotiations on price

CR-V doesn't have the power that the Santa Fe has, but realistically there's not that much difference in acceleration. I think the CR-V does 0-60 in about 9 seconds, the Santa Fe does it in about 8. The CR-V makes a lot more noise getting there - but neither one has a problem merging into traffic. The CR-V's transmission is also more 'aggressive' - downshifting quicker than the relatively lazy one in the SF. If you're towing something, the V6 is important, but in normal day-to-day driving, the difference really isn't that much (until it's time to fill up, then you notice the 30% better mileage in the CR-V).

The Santa Fe's build quality is good, but the CR-V's is noticeably better. Panel fit is tighter, switches 'feel' better (Ex- no play on the turn signal stalk).

We were able to get a much larger reduction on the price of the Santa Fe compared to the CR-V, but we'll give all of that back at the end due to the significantly worse depreciation of the Hyundai.

The Santa Fe is bigger, but the cargo boxes are shaped differently. The CR-V is tall, but shorter length wise and that's impacted even more by the silly 'flip forward' seats. The Santa Fe is wider and longer, but ~5" shorter height wise. This shortness makes fitting things like bikes inside a challenge.

The CR-V's rear seats slide forward/back, which can make fitting a child seat in the back a bit easier, and also has LATCH fitting for the center seat, which the SF lacks. The Santa Fe has more shoulder room and AC vents in the back. The seats fold pretty much flat, too - which is a big positive imo.

The Santa Fe's blue lighting is much cooler, but the CR-V has a MP3 connector built in.

I personally like the styling of the Santa Fe better - both interior and exterior. However, I find the 'captain chair' seats in the CR-V to be more comfortable than the SF.

I think both are great vehicles. I'd say the CR-V is the more 'practical' choice - better mileage, better retained value, comparable -usable- cargo space, better build quality. I enjoy driving the SF more, though - quieter, more power, better looks, cool lighting.
  • Options
    flwonderflwonder Member Posts: 33
    Thanks so much for the great comparison of the CR-V and
    the Santa Fe. I had already done my own crude assessment
    and decided on the Santa Fe. Your analysis was really
    helpful. People like you make this forum so valuable.

Flwonder
  • Options
    kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    Good comparison, but I will quibble on a few points. I've been a longtime Honda customer, having owned Hondas for the last 26 years (my first was an '81 Accord). My wife currently drives a 2005 Odyssey. I looked closely at both the CR-V and the Pilot before buying my 2007 Santa Fe Ltd AWD.

As much as it pains me to say it, Honda has slipped a little in quality over the last few years. At the same time, Hyundai has made great strides in fit and finish. The '07 CR-V is indeed nicely put together, with materials that feel mostly high quality -- certainly a higher grade and better "feel" than the 2007 Toyota RAV4 I looked at. Still, the CR-V's I looked at weren't perfect. I examined several that had some noticeably uneven gaps between interior panels.

I will grant that the turn signal stalk on the Santa Fe feels a little rough compared to that on the RAV4 and CR-V. That's really the ONLY control on the Santa Fe I can say that about, however. All of the other control and switchgear feels great, and compares well to the Toyota I was driving, and the Honda my wife currently drives.

In my judgment, the Santa Fe was equal to the CR-V in fit, finish and assembly quality. The Santa Fe had a slight edge over the CR-V in "touch and feel" of materials, and a BIG edge over the cheap-feeling interior of the RAV4.

Ultimately, though, I went with the Santa Fe because of size and packaging issues. I love the fact that the Santa Fe was a 3rd row seat (optional, and I got it) that is big enough for teenagers and small adults. The RAV4's 3rd row seat is suitable for very small children only, and the CR-V doesn't offer a 3rd row at all. To get a 3rd row from Honda, you have to move up to the Pilot, which is considerably larger in external dimensions (harder to park and fit in my garage), costs more, gets worse gas mileage, and is getting long in the tooth as designs go. The Santa Fe seems to hit a sweet spot in size -- just large enough for a real 3rd row seat, and no larger.

As for mileage, my Santa Fe Ltd AWD is EPA rated at 19 city and 24 highway, and that's abotu what I've been getting. I've averaging 19.4 mpg overall in mostly suburban use, but I can easily get 24-25 on highway trips (cruising at 65-70 mph). While the 4 cylinder CR-V probably does a little better, I doubt it does 30% better, because that would mean 25 mpg city and 32 highway. In fact, a comparable 2007 CR-V (the EX-L AWD) is EPA rated at 22 and 28 -- only about a 15% advantage.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,188
    ..but, I'm pretty sure we have a comparison forum for the Sante Fe and CR-V.

Let's get back to Santa Fe: Prices Paid.

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You've provided a lot of valuable info. ;)
  • Options
    tuggerstuggers Member Posts: 52
    Sunroof & leather, mats, cargo tray, wheel locks:

670 dest fee
    499 doc fee
    21 title fee
    1,852.13 (7% tax)

27,332.13 OTD

$26,399.00
    1,848.00 tax, no dealer fees, title fees, etc.

$28,247.00 OTD

Both can get the Dk Red w/beige leather.

Higher price(local dealer) will have me a hardwired FM thingee installed at his expense ($99) so I can hook up a walkman and play my cassette books on tape.

I'm perfectly happy to wait till the end of the month. Any suggestions?

Can I shave a little more?
  • Options
    Anyone know somewhere they are discounted?

Atlanta dealer is quoting $1595. for zero deductible Platinum. 10 yr/100,000 bumper to bumper

I plan to keep this car for the 10 years so want the warranty. I got my Honda one, after shopping around, for $800.

Anyone know of a discounter on the Hyundai backed one?
  • Options
    The best way to determine whether or not a deal is a good one is as follows:

Go to the "New Cars" section of Edmunds.com.
    Configure a Santa Fe (options, color) as you intend to buy.
    Look at the "invoice Price" as configured.
    Subtract any applicable rebates.

There's absolutely no reason to spend more than invoice on a new Santa Fe, less rebates. Many here are reporting paying even less than invoice (by $1000 or more), depending on their part of the country and additional incentives such as cash back for taking the dealer's financing.

The $499 "doc fee" is 100% profit (read "customer rip-off") for the dealer. Don't pay it. When you add in things like taxes, it just confuses the issue since they're fixed and the same from dealer to dealer. The number to look at is total sale price vs. invoice. (In the case of a new Santa Fe, sale price should not exceed invoice before factoring rebate(s).)
  • Options
    Invoice:

25,235 incl destination
    865 sunroof pkg
    73 cargo tray
    76 mats
    32 locks
    64 mud guards

Off this I should expect the $1,000 rebate and anything else I can get the dealer to knock off?
  • Options
    In my state(CT) dealers are required by law to file their doc fees and must charge that amount on each sale. However, the dealer can offer an extra discount equal to the doc fee to "eliminate" that fee.

Sales tax % varies from state to state and sometimes within the same state, so one cannot necessarily expect to get final price, before rebate, of less than invoice. Some places yes, some places no. Sales tax of 4% vs 6% on a $24,000 car is almost a $500 difference.
  • Options
    That's correct. I'd go in and offer $25,000 LESS the $1,000 rebate. If you end up buying for somewhere between there and $26,345 LESS the rebate, IMO you'll have gotten a good deal.
  • Options
    pogiru96pogiru96 Member Posts: 13
    Where did you get your Honda warranty?

Thank you
  • Options
    I bought it from Prince Honda in Tifton georgia.

I also had a quote of $885 on a Toyota Highlander.
  • Options
    cherishzmcherishzm Member Posts: 13
    I got a quote from a dealer for Sliver Blue 2007 Santa Fe 2WD Limited w/XM (with 2 miles on it) for $22,700(after $1,000 rebate, not including dealer doc fee(I'll find out how much it is and try not to pay it) and TTU). I'm located in Greensboro, NC.

Is this a good price or is there still a negotiable room?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Are there any options on it? If not, dealer invoice is $25,235. You'd be buying it for $1500 UNDER invoice - I'd call that a fantastic deal. (What's "TTU"?)
  • Options
    cherishzmcherishzm Member Posts: 13
    I found TMV price for 2007 Santa Fe 2WD Limited w/XM is $24,565 and after deducting $1,000 rebate, it becomes $23,565. So, I'm paying $865 under invoice? I believe some people are paying $1,000 to $2,000 below invoice.

It has floor mats and that's the only option.

It is actually TTL (Tax, Title and License?) I found dealer fee is $499 which is too much.

Thanks.
  • Options
    TMV of $24,565 is BEFORE adding in the mats or destination. If you go the "New Cars" section at Edmunds.com and configure a Santa Fe Limted 2WD with XM and floor mats (click on "Price with Options"), you'll come up with the following numbers, all including destination:

M.S.R.P. = $26,910
    Invoice = $25,311
    TMV (which is not really a meaningful number) = $26,227

If you can buy the car for invoice or less, MINUS the rebate, PLUS TTL, you're getting a good deal. If the dealer wants to charge you $24,565 for the car and tack on a $499 "dealer fee", as long as you still get to deduct the $1000 rebate from those numbers you're still getting a good deal at $247 under invoice. At those numbers, the dealer is losing $247 on the transaction but they're making roughly $500 (2% of invoice) on "dealer holdback" - money that they get from Hyundai for each new vehicle sold. If they're a high volume dealer they're also making bonus money every quarter based on reaching specific sales goals.

You're correct that some here are reporting deals on new Santa Fes of $1000 - $2000 under invoice LESS the $1000 rebate. In at least some of those cases there are trades and/or special financing incentives involved. Keep in mind that no dealer can afford to sell many cars at a $1000 - $2000 loss!

My final suggestion is that you remember that, while everyone certainly wants to get a fair deal, there's absolutely no shame in allowing the dealer to make a reasonable profit. You can definitely make such a deal without worrying about whether or not you needlessly left money on the table. When I bought my Santa Fe Limited AWD (Premium, mats, first aid kit), I paid invoice less the $1000 rebate. That left the dealer with around $560 in holdback money plus any money he might get down the road based on his total sales volume. Out of that, he paid the salesperson's commission and had a few bucks to help cover overhead. Could I have gotten him to come down more? Probably. I didn't even try, though, because I didn't have to go through any B.S. to get the deal that I got and I thought it was fair to both sides. Just something to consider.

Good luck in your purchase!