Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Thanks. I ordered mine from the tire rack too. Do you already have your winter tires on? You have 15' steel wheels right?
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I bought a set of 15" steel wheels with 195/55-15 Arctic Alpins to put on my P5 for th ewinter. I called TireRack to see if I could use my regular lugs and they said yes.

I haven't put mine on yet, but I don't expect any issues.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I had to use my temporary spare (on a steel wheel) the other day, and my stock alloy wheel lugs fit it fine.

Meade
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    Yes, 15" steel wheels, 195/55/15 Artic Alpins.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I haven't had to buy snow tires since 1968 for the last rear wheel drive car I owned. Have been driving FWD since October 1973 starting with an Audi Fox.

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Well, my 2000 Mazda PRO-ES went in for plastic surgery this morning. The procedure is done with a local anesthesia and should take 2 days. Everyone, please keep my little beast in their hearts today. Hopefully, this is it's last visit to the collision center.

-Larry
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    The factory fog lights on the 01 ES are crummy. In fact, in my opnion, they are almost useless. I'm not sure if they are weak or the pattern is poor. They dont have the nice low diffuse pattern that lights up the side of the road like they should. They are not even as good as the ones on my wifes Outback. Anyone have any ideas on replacements?

I dont want flame throwers. Just fog lights that work better in the $200 range (w/o installation).
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    You know Meade will not be happy that you aren't waving old glory.
    It's almost....! Because there is only 21 shopping days until....

-Larry
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    yeah, you live down south, I hope you don't need snow tires.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Heard that it's better to have different ones for summer ans winter tires... Don't ask me why, try Bud Dry! Actually I prefer Coronna but then again you'll all jump on me saying it's a girlie beer and all... :)

Q: How did you change the country flag? I've been trying today and it doesn't do it. Any ideas (newcar, protegextwo???)
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    To change your flag, login and click 'my profile.'

You'll have the option of editing it, and when you get to the country selection, they have a vast assortment from which to choose. When you are satisfied with your choice, click on 'submit' at the bottom of the window.

Boy, Meade is going to go crazy tomorrow morning :)
    never mind...I guess I don't know how to change the flag, either.
    I think it takes 24 hours to show up. When I did my profile the flag didn't show up until late the next day. Guess Edmunds has to unfold one and press it.

By the way, what do you think of the SegwayHT?

Think it will replace our Pros? The only problems I see with them: No snow tires; no rain cover; lightning rod on wheels during storms; no alloys; no spoiler. And how do you secure them while in stores or at the office? They weigh 65 to 85 pounds, you can't carry that into the office and put it under your desk.

fowler3
    Heard that it's better to have different ones for summer ans winter tires... Don't ask me why, try Bud Dry! Actually I prefer Coronna but then again you'll all jump on me saying it's a girlie beer and all... :)

Q: How did you change the country flag? I've been trying today and it doesn't do it. Any ideas (newcar, protegextwo???)
    I would think good fog lights could be bought and installed for $200, maybe less. Have you looked online? Do a search on google.com.

I always think of them as frog lights due to a late night drive on a narrow country road when I ran over hundreds of migrating frogs. Skidded all over the place almost plunging into a lake. Sure could have used some frog lights that night.

I'll check for you. There's a really good website that shows the light patterns of various models.

fowler3
    Funny...I just finished reading about that on-line.

Well, Fowler, I think in your climate, it might almost be feasible :)

But I agree...not very practical for most folks. Might appeal to all those goofy yuppies I saw on scooters last year, but not very good for moderate to longish commutes.

Kind of like having an expensive bicycle.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You have to log out, and then back in again to see the change. But the theory about the Town Hall having to unfold it and press it before you get to see it was a good one! ;-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    But now I can't remember which country I changed to...it's either Antarctica or Austria :)
    thanx for the tip pat. let's see if it worked.

chicagopro: why should meade be upset at me? i'm in canada so i wouldn't have the u.s. flag anyways. besides, i have a round decal on yellow background with "RO" written in navy blue and the european union starts surrounding it under the "mazda" metal plate on the trunk. so i would like to display the RO flag too.

NOTE: this is NOT meant to start a discussion what flags we should be supporting, etc. i LOVE canada AND i lived in romania until 1991, so i'll switch back and forth between the flags. now, let's return to our PRO discussion. besides, canada is more tolerant than the u.s. as it promotes "multiculturalism", sometimes a little too much, but i'll leave that discussion out of here.

Dinu
    it worked!
    POLL: what do u guys like to do when you're bored at work? like me right now...any good protege/car sites on the net you know of?
    Just pass your mouse arrow over any flag and you will know the country. :-}

Well, I personally spend a lot of time fixated on Britney Spears. ;-)

-Larry
    this board and some IM keep me plenty busy.
    Well, of course I lurk on the Protege board.

I read the Chicago Tribune online (and sometimes the New York Times, as well).

Sometimes go to CarTalk.com.

dinu: I was joking. I don't seriously think Meade will be mad at you, especially since--as you pointed out--you currently live in Canada. By the way, why are you so bored at work tonight? Don't you still have exams to study for? :)

Larry: thanks for the helpful tip. Boy, I'm learning all sorts of new things tonight.
    Fowler...

Missed your frog post this evening until just now...if you hadn't almost skidded into a lake, that whole story would be pretty funny. Now THERE'S something that makes me glad to live in the big city :)
    I hope not?

-Larry
    was any of that info usefull?
    I posted that e-mail from home, before I left for work. I'm at TGIF, now. However, it sounds like you got my e-mail. I wanted to be as discrete as possible, to respect your privacy. I can't wait to get home and check my e-mail. Thanks again my very good friend.

-Larry