Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new car and bought additional products (warranty, maintenance packages, anti-theft systems, etc.) as part of the F&I process that you weren't originally planning to buy? If so, a reporter is interested in speaking with you about your F&I experience. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, March 27 with your story and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Well everyone beat me to the advise...

1. 2nd driver is your best bet. Glad to hear you got one!

2. Sunflower seeds. Yep. The salt in them keeps you from having to hit every bathroom along the way.

3. Keep the car gassed up. My Pro went through 1/2-3/4 a tank in 3-4 hours depending on terrain, speed, wind, etc...and it's a good point to stretch your legs.

4. Food...bring some of your own, but not too much. You'll want it along the way, but you also need to stop and eat a real meal once in a while. (I personally like Cracker Barrel)

5. Don't rely on a radar detector to let you speed. In my experience, 5-10 over will usually not get you pulled over by the police, and the little bit of time you make going faster than that is not worth the risk.

6. Pack your car smart. Expensive items in the trunk, don't overload the car, and spread the weight evenly.

7. When you get a hotel for the night, try to get the kind where you can park right outside your hotel room door in a well lit spot. Take expensive items inside the room, turn your front wheels to full left or right and lock the steering wheel there.

8. Check your tire pressures with cold tires, including your spare. Check oil each morning.

9. Enjoy the trip!

Sorry to hear you won't be in the neighborhood of Chi-town. Lots of festive lights and decorations all over the place already!!

Good luck and God bless,

Regards,

Pete
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Glad to see another NPR junkie on here. According to NPR: "NPR stations are always found between 88 and 91 on the FM dial." I have found this to be true 99% of the time and it takes a few moments to find them when I travel.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    DON'T STAY AT AN ECONO LODGE!!!

(Inside joke ... I think Larry, Jason and several other MAPP II attendees will agree.)

Meade
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Talk about words from the past haunting you... :)
    Oh well. The past is the past. You are a charter member of MAPP, so you'll always be invited to the functions.

Have a good weekend, everyone -- I'm outta here!

Meade
    Isn't that sweet? I feel touched now.. :)
    You ARE touched ...

MD
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    In 7 days me and 2 buddies saw Chicago, Cleveland, New York City (new years 99'), Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Boston, Atlantic City, Washington DC, and Pittsburgh. Man, you guys are wusses. On the first leg of the trip, we drove straight to New York from Minneapolis with short stops in Chicago and Cleveland *without* stopping to sleep. On the way back, we drove through a blizzard in Indiana and Illinois at 4 in the morning. The whole trip cost me $450.

By the way, I am an Econolodge veteran. I've stayed in Econolodges in Carlstadt, Elizabeth, and Mt. Laurel, NJ. The one in Carlstadt had stray cats and tons of garbage in the parking lot as well as a healthy dose of aircraft noise from Kennedy, La Guardia, and Newark airports. The place would shake everytime an airplane flew over and the room smelled like a mixture of spent diesel fuel, raw sewage, and must....but it was only $60 a night and Manhatten was only a mile or two away.
  • The band from 88.1 to 91.9 MHz is reserved (in the US, anyway) for noncommercial broadcasting.

Should any of you be wandering through Oklahoma City, though (I-35, 40 and 44 all come through here), you'll have to slide all the way over to 105.7 (and if you're heading for Dallas, continue to 106.3).
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Take expensive items inside the room, turn your front wheels to full left or right and lock the steering wheel there.

Would jacking it up and taking one rear wheel in the room prevent theft? LOL just kidding ;)

fowler3
    Before you leave, on somebody's computer, check the URL below for the weather forcast for the states you will be driving through. Click the color map bottom center, -->click the state -->click State Forcast.

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html

So far, it looks good up to Tuesday with temperatures in the 50's and 60's in Colorado and Kansas.

fowler3

Sheesh! You can stay at a Best Western for that. Also try Ramada. If you see a Tourist Information office near a city and off the Intestate, stop in and ask room rates. They can check for you.

fowler3
    The Protegé photo at the top of the boards and the switchback road...looks just like the roller coaster highway I drove over Wednesday, all curves and hills and mountain passes for 60 miles.

fowler3
    When you drive across the plains and praries and see in the distance a mountain that looks an hour away...it's really three hours away. No kidding. That's why we are saying do not let your fuel get down to a quarter of a tank, if possible. That's big sky country and I have driven towards mountains all morning and never reached them before the road turned one way or another.

fowler3
    There aren't that many cheap places to stay in that area. $60 is *cheap* for being about a mile and a half from manhatten.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Can you stand one more trip tip?

For long hauls, make sure you shift position of your legs occasionally (especially your left, since it's not working the pedals).

After my one short (250 miles) road trip of a couple of months ago, I developed a blood clot in my left leg. Doctors asked if I had been on any long airplane rides or drives within the last month. Spoke with a co-worker whose husband is a truck driver; he has to take blood thinners for the rest of his life because of problems with clots.

I'm guessing that you're younger than me and that this might not be a consideration, but just thought I'd mention it. Get out every once in a while to walk around, and/or flex your feet back and forth from time to time.

Happy zooming!
    (in case you didn't know, blood clots in 'deep' veins can be serious, leading to stroke or heart attack; that's why I mentioned it)
  • reaglereagle Posts: 15
    Hi everyone, just got my 02 Protege ES with Perimeter Alarm. The car is awsome,but for some reason the dealer did not have any manuals for the alarm . It's not even mentioned in the user manual. Does anyone have any info on it? I don't even know what it has, what triggers it etc.. I know I can use the key fob to arm and disarm it, but that's not really enough for everyday use. What if the battery in the fob goes down and I am left with a car that refuses to start even though I have the key? Shouldn't the dealer give me some kind of code to silent it if I loose/break the fob? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Igor
    To the Mazda Protegé room! We hope you enjoy your new ride as much as we are enjoying ours.

A perimeter alarm sounds a horn (not your car's horn, one that comes with the alarm) when anyone tries to get into your car. It's a motion detector, if they make the car rock slightly it will set-off the alarm, such as trying to force the door or breaking a window.

The battery in the key fob will last a long time and can be replaced. You also got two key fobs, right. Use the other one until you replace the battery in the first. If you lose it while out shopping your only recourse is to get a ride home to get the other remote key fob so you can get in your car.

A good reason for carrying your house key separately.

Some perimeter alarms protect from forced entry only. Others prevent the engine from starting even when hot-wired. Check the manual to see which type you have. Mazda also sells an engine disable system separate from the perimeter alarm. I think you have the first type -- the engine can be started IF you can get into the car without setting off the alarm, if you have another key.

I had a perimeter alarm on a previous car -- hated it! I was always setting it off, forgetting to turn it off when I returned to the car. Especially when in a hurry.

Of the two types of security systems, the engine disable type is best. Your insurance company offers a discount if you have that option -- your car can not be stolen. Car thieves have been known to drive off in cars with perimeter alarm horns blowing.

Some cars now come with the disable feature standard. The Honda Accords have it and the eginition key is dedicated to each car, that is, the key has a computer chip in the black rubber part which has a code that has to match the one on the car's onboard computer or the car won't start. Mazda keys have black plastic, no chip.

fowler3
    I never thought about clots, but that's a great tip. On the day-trip I made Wednesay, the reason I was gone 14 hours (10 hours driving) was due to frequent stops. I stopped three times in the first four hours and four times on the return five hour trip. It took longer but was a very enjoyable trip and I wasn't tired when I got home. All the stops were for breakfast, refreshments, restrooms, and dinner.

fowler3
  • reaglereagle Posts: 15
    The real question I have is nothing in the manual even mentions alarm system, and my dealer says there is no separate one either. So I was wodering if other people got anything with their Protege describing operation of the system.
    I kinda figured most of it- it's got a Code Alarm infrared shock sensor and starter disabler, but it would be nice to know details of operation as well as wether I need to go yell at the dealer until I get a manual :)
    I found for example that if you unlock the car, open the trunk, close it but not get in the car fast enough it arms itself again. This is the kind of things I think should be really outlined on the paper somewhere...
    Sounds like you did your trip the right way, even though it took you a little longer. I made the mistake of driving 4-5 hours at a time with only one brief gas/bathroom break. Should have stopped more often...next time I'll know better.

I should probably also mention that at the time, I was on meds that might have increased the likelihood of developing a clot (not taking that anymore!); still, good idea for anyone to keep in mind. Thought I'd bring it up here because as I said, it can be serious--in fact, they hospitalized me overnight until they determined mine was superficial and not life-threatening.

Reagle:
    Harass your dealer into giving you a manual or something...I'm surprised they didn't take you through those procedures at delivery. When Mazda does their follow-up customer satisfaction survey with you, that's something they'll ask you about...dealers don't like to get low marks on those surveys.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    This was something at the back of my mind, as I'd heard about it before too.

I do plan to stop often - perhaps every 100-150 miles. I'd rather get out of the car and look around sometimes, than see the scenery whizzing by at 70+mph all the time!

On a related note, at least there's no risk of getting a blood clot in my righ leg - no cruise control :-) That's why I want a manual transmission in the next car I buy, both legs in (relatiely) constant use!
    Call Mazda's Customer Service 800 number, on Monday, and ask them about an instruction manual, and also tell them your dealer didn't supply one nor a walk-through demonstration at delivery.

Your best bet is to disarm it (turn it off compeletly) first, then open the trunk and the door.

fowler3
    If you can only turn off the perimeter alarm with the remote yet you can only open the trunk with the key or the release lever on the floor, what sense does that make? I always hated that there was no keyless entry trunk release on my 2001 Protege when I had it. They should add that, as well as a valet key to the car. It would make things easier. Never understood why the back seats, glovebox, and trunk release locked when there was no valet key. Totally useless.
  • Bought a new 2002 Protege ES last March and have about 7,000 miles. Just noticed a problem with the shifting the other day.

Hard to shift between gears without jerkiness. Won't stop until car warms up.

Btw, I've had sticks for years and know how to coordinate between clutch release and gas pedal, but never had this problem until now.

Any ideas?
    Some transmissions shift smoother when they are warmed up. Maybe that's the problem with it. If it persists, you might want to take it to the dealer and let them drive it when cold. But I personally think it's just a warming up issue.

I notice the engine in my 2001 Protege ES used to run smoother when it was warm. and the automatic used to shift smoother too. So it's probably the same with your transmission.

Also, you shouldn't rev the car above about 3000 or so rpm until the engine warms up. It's not good for the motor.
    I am assuming you mean 2001 if you bought it last march. Anyway, that is the way the Protege shifts when its cold. I've had 5 manual transmission cars and all of them shifted hard when they are cold including two hondas. I put synthetic gear oil in my 2001 ES's transmission and it seems to shift a little bit smoother.
    Anyone know if I will need to use different lug nuts when I put on my steel wheels with snow tires? I have the 16' alloys on right now and I was wondering if the lug nuts for the alloys have a different taper than lug nuts for steel wheels.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    I got my wheels and tires from tire rack for my '01 ES. The enclosed paperwork stated that if different lug nuts were required they'd be included. Obviously this isn't much help if you didn't get yours there. My oem nuts fit the 15" wheels fine.