Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• jl30jl30 Posts: 11
    Mazda just released the updated Familia 2.0 (Protege) in Japan. Their 2.0L engine make 170ps horsepower. Check it out at http://www.familia.mazda.co.jp/spec.html

(it's in Japanese, some of the spec. are still readable.)

• the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    FWIW, I also had quite crappy mpg when I first got my 00 ES, I was averaging 22-23mpg through winter of 2000 (might also have something to do with different gas blends between winter & summer fuel). But ever since late spring this year (May-ish), when my car reached around 8-9000 miles, I've been averaging 26-27mpg in mixed driving, and easily reaches 28-29mpg in mostly highway conditions. So I would say it's a combination of northern/cold weather gas blends and break-in period that's giving you low mpg's. Should get better as your new Pro gets more broken in...
    try the translate feature at altavista.com, it can translate japanese web pages into english.

thank ashu for giving this little tip a while back :)
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Hi Boomer!

I'm in Toronto and if I take it to (North Toronto) Mazda for an oil change and what they call a "piece of mind inspection" (which btw is NOTHING AT ALL on a brand new car as the svc guy "almost" admitted), they charge $49+tax, so I'm on the hook for about $55 or so.

I'm now buying my own Mazda OEM oil filters (6 for $36) and 4L of Castrol GTX ($10 at Cdn. Tire)and go to a local Petro Canada place where I can see what they're doing and that they do the little things well too (letting ALL the oil drain, lubricating the oil filter before installing it, etc), which charges $18 (tax-in) for the svc. They give me a receipt that shows they also inspected the car, so it is exactly what the dealer would do if I took it there.

Overall, $35 tax-in and these guys do all their work like I would do it if I had ramps myself!

I found another place where they charge $10, but those guys are morons (screwed up my cylinder heads in my previous car - 93 Civic). Lesson from the past: don't be cheap trying to save $5/repaid/job, b/c you'll be paying $100s later on.

The svc manager at the dealership I mentionned above, did say to keep all receipts (filter, oil and svc) to prove I did the work in case of a warranty issue and advised me ***ONLY*** to use Mazda OEM oil filters!!! Some warranty issue between the car owner (u and I, etc..) and Mazda Canada. So buy a pack of 6 filters from Mazda (cheaper by $1.49 than at C.T.) and take it to your mechanic. You save $20/oil change and if u have a good mechanic, at least u know the job's done well, not just brushed-off like the dealer does it.

Dinu
  • Thanks for your info. It is an exciting day for me. First, leanrn about petroleum chemistry from mazdafun and second, get encourging info from you with the same country origin. I hope my protege will behave like what you described for yours and will let people know when time comes.
  • Thank you dinu. I share the same dealer with you. Frankly speaking, I am satisfied with the service provided by North Toronto Mazda. The service manager is a nice lady. 4 month ago I had an accident while the car rushed over a higher curb. My ES 2.0 started leaking oil, but no body damage. The repair totaled $12000 and took 2 month for waiting the parts shipped from Japan.

Anyway, I will follow your advice to get the filters from the dealer and change the oil at Petro Canada.
    check out www.tapclub.com, I think you should find it very interesting.
    Isn't Brad the svc mgr? That wouldn't make him a lady, rite? But we don't know that for sure yet... Maybe I'm wrong:)

I agree with you that as far as the time frame it takes them to fix something on a car, it's long. Here are my 2 experiences with 2 different dealer for 2 minor issues:

1. One week after I got the PRO, the CD Player "ate" my CD (didn't want to eject it). Took it to Scarboro Mazda. They changed it, but my CD is still "in Japan" after 5 mths! Let's just say that I'm getting upset by now.

2. Three lights from the spoiler burned out in late August. I advised N.T.O. Mazda of the problem during the 1st week of Sept. They finally got a replacement for me the last week of Nov.

I just wish they would have some parts (or CD's) as a backup. Keeping this s - l - o - w parts ordering process in mind, I sure hope the PRO won't have any issues that require parts from Japan now while in warranty and definitely later after the warranty expires.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    More like "pay us for glancing at your car while we change your oil and filter".

There shouldn't be anything gone wrong with any new car after only 6 months.

Oh well, depends on how thoroughly they actually look at your car. After all, some of us do live in places where things get rattled off due to rotten roads, impacts with deer etc. :)
    larry and i are pretty touchy about 'impacts with deer' here.... oh boy, here comes the flashbacks of deer smack into my windshield and fly over my car... {shivers}...
    Took a look at your site and the "J-Spec clear corners" are standard across the 323/Protege line in Europe.

See:
    Austria www.mazda.at

Click on:

Fahren (At top, in drop-down menu)
    Mazda 323
    Varianten (on the left side of your screen)
    Choose either the 5 door or the 4 door aznd see....

No need for aftermarket clear lights there
    only in the Americas (N & S) and I think Australia (correct me if I'm wrong) market are the corners amber, rest of the world gets clear corners on their 323/Familia/Protege as standard equipment.

I bought mine from Corksport a while back, they are the factory clear corners that they install on Familias in Japan.

I got the clear corners so my Pro can return to its 'original' look envisioned by the designers in Japan. I think it looks much better with clear corners than amber ones.
  • Brad's manager is Roxane who was able to rent me a car during the repairing.

As per the parts, I heard that Mazda was going to setup a protege factory in North America, is it just a rumor? I am expecting that it can solve the parts issue.
    Figure should remind folks before everyone leave work.

it's been a slow day....
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    for now it's rumor...who knows what the new platform will bring though.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I go to whatever gas station is closest at the time that I need to fill up. Usually, it's Super America because I live near one. Honestly, there really is no difference in gas between different brands. It all goes through the same pipeline to your specific area and it is refined at the same regional refinery(s). Additive packages are similiar between brands. Any gas mileage difference that you may experience between tanks of different gas is attributed to something else, not different brands. The only real differences between gasolines would be winter/summer gas, non-oxygenated gas, and different octanes. By the way, I just filled up with 99 cent 87 octane. That's the lowest price I've ever seen.
  • Amoco/BP has their own pipeline network. Most if not all other company's gas does come out of the same pipes. Many think this is why Amoco/BP gas is better.
    Different companies add different additive packages before they put it in the transport trucks, however. I don't know if this is true, but I heard that Costal has the best additive package in the midwest.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Gasoline is Gasoline. Like I already said, the additive packages are very similiar, and only differ significantly from region to region. Things like "I heard" so and so has the best additive, and *insert brand name gasoline here* has the super duper extra double additive are precisely what I am talking about. It's all a crock of marketing crap.

By the way, are you a real Carl Jr., or are you just a fan of the burger chain "Carl's Jr."?
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    because the service station is less than a quarter mile from my house and I like to hear the people who work there talk. They are all from the Caribbean and sound like they are singing, Jamaica I think. Really nice people.

protege8, when you get at least 5000 miles on your Pro5 then you will see an improvement in your fuel economy. :)

And by the way, how about joining us on Thursday nights in the Protegé Owners' Club chat room at 6:00PM PT, 7:00PM MT, 8:00PM CT or 9:00PM ET, we'ed love to chat live with you. Bring Boomer with you!

fowler3
  • adventure.honda.com

you can choose an S2000, a CRV, or a civic.

I've been "driving" the Civic and the back end breaks out at 60 mph. Must be the cheap Firestones on the Civic.

Anyway, it's off topic, but it's fun nonetheless.

Back to Pro's...for the folks w/ 5-speeds, especially those of you 6 ft tall or more, can you rest your elbow on the armrest/console, or is it worthless even if you have the seat most of the way back? I'm spoiled by Honda armrests at this point....

twist
    big h: Not sure about Ausieland, but I agree it does look better with clear lights. You were "lucky" that onm the one you have the headlights and corner lights are 2 separate peices, unlike the 2001 ES's like I have.

boomer: Thanx for the info. Didn't know who was the boss at NTO, but now I'll know. Yeah, I wish they would do something about the lack of parts, even though the PROs are great cars and we won't need parts to replace, rite? :)

fowler: Completely forgot about the chat tonite. I'm sure my presence was missed, even though no one mentionned it YET (j/k).

Really off topic: I'm installing laminated flooring in my room tomorow. Any tips. I have the materials and a fairly good sense of what it's about and some experience installing parquet floors. Is there anything specific I should really be careful about? The floor is concrete and IT IS flat. Any tips would be appreciated.

Dinu
  • Thanks for your info. I hope my protege (2001 LX)will get a better fuel economy after 5000 mile mark. Our 2000 MPV LX (17 month trouble free with 15000 miles)is also in the low MPG range (15-19 at 20% freeway/80% city, ~22 with 80%/20%) but acceptable. I wonder whether this is a Mazda's thing. Otherwise, both cars are really joyful to drive. Thanks for inviting me to chat. You quys are lucky,and I am still at work at 6 pm. Because the boss is out of town, I can spend more time to post and read posts in the forum.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Where were you last night?????
  • If you think Honda spoils you, try a Volkswagon or Audi armrest! No only is it long enough to be of benefit for shorter drivers, it's height can also be adjusted. It also can be moved completely out of the way if you are doing a lot of shifting. Love my Protege, but the armrest is an area that could have been improved. I think it is actually lower and further back in the 01 model year than the previous two!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I know what you mean by the VW armrest. One thing I didn't like about the Protege's armest is that it was too low for me to rest my arm on, and too far back (and I am 6'3). The VW's is alot better in that it's alot larger and height adjustable.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    It has rained for four days straight. It has rained on all my days off, going back two weeks! Prolly rain this Sunday, my next day off? RAIN!!! UGHHH! I'm even willing to trade the rain for snow. I think, I need to move down to Key West, with my dad. Yea, Florida! The SUNSHINE state. BTW, I hate to complain, BUT... what ya gotta do to get some sunshine in Lancaster PA.?

Well, the first of my beloved Protege's are in for their 30,000 mile check-up. My wife's at work and I got no car to drive until this afternoon. I guess, I got to do some laundry or something. Any suggestions? If I start to watch TV, my day is shot. Day Time TV is addictive AND stupid. First Regis & Kelly, than Talk Soup, perhaps some Cat Dog or Sponge Bob? Later, Maury or Jerry and the lowest of low, some stupid Rockumentry on VH1.

-Larry
  • How did I know you would chime in on my previous post! Glad you're still enjoying your car.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    And I talked to my salesman yesterday afternoon -- we'll be purchasing a blue (whatever Mazda calls the color, that is) 2002 Protege5 when the particular car we want comes in in about three weeks.

By the way, my wife wanted the bare-bones P5 -- which still is loaded with the ES trim, by the way; she just doesn't want a sunroof or cassette player, but wants an automatic transmission. So for a 2002 Protege5 with automatic transmission and floor mats, we'll be paying $300 over invoice or $16,859.

Nice to be friends with the salesman, huh? (This REALLY pisses me off. I WANT ONE TOO, DAMMIT!!! But I'm not going to take part in the VUDPP -- er, the "Vocus Upside-Down Payment Plan" -- hee hee)

Meade
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Make sure you have a vapor barrier and padding. Also, most companies say you don't need the strap clamps, but on my next installation, I'll be using them (I'm a perfectionist and even the tiny gaps bug me). Also, I ran out of the spacers that go around the edges. They are cheap so buy a bunch.

Also, keep a sponge(like a kitchen sponge with the abrasive on one side) handy to clean up the glue.

Let us know how it goes.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You have had the car almost 2 years. You can't trade evenly now? Welcome to poor resale value.