Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• At 88k, my '93 626 (since traded) was consuming insignificant amounts of oil - by which is meant that it was never necessary to add a quart between changes (which I generally did at 2500-3000 miles).

On the Anecdotal Evidence tote board, it's now 1-1.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Unlike the Mazda 2.0L, the VW 2.0L does have a documented history of what some would call excessive oil consumption. That is not anecdotal.
  • We went to a child seat safety class - they claim there is no such thing as a rear facing latch on a seat. You can only get this for a front facing. All new front facing seats should have the latch. The class was quite a deal - $35.00 covered the entire class plus a brand new car seat. They admitted they lose bucks on this but it is worth it - less tragedies from poor seats and installations. The childrens hospital sponsors it - Greg
  • To all for the baby well wishes - wow, have a baby and get mass attention. They are worth it though!! Maybe our PRO will be her first car in 16 years!!?? They are reliable if taken care of!!?? (: Greg
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Greg: congrats to you and your wife and safe zoom-zooming for many years to come.

Chicagopro: I was at work, but left an 9.30 and from 9.00-9.30 it was pretty busy. I should be able to make it for next weeks's chat.

Maltb: Thanx for the tips. I did use a wet towel and the straps you mentioned. I bought the stuff in special at Home Depot $0.98 CDN/sq ft! Installing was fairly easy for someone that already installed parquet floors. Took me a LONG time to move all my stuff from the room and remove the carpet. Installation posed no problems. Easy, clean and fast. My shoulder now hurts from pushing the "sheets" into place. The straps were great! Couldn't have done with without them. Home Depot has a set of 8 straps to rent for $25/24hrs. To buy it's $60 each!!! Now that it's done, my room looks great, like some type of an executive office. I'm really impressed how much of a difference removing an old carpet and putting hardwood-type flooring makes! Now that it's done, my mom wants me to do it to our remaining 3 bedrooms! Ouch! Maybe in the spring.

Ashu: With this type of commute you'll soon be putting "Dinu mileage" on your PRO :)
  • I use carlrjr as a screen name because the 'rjr' part are initials; my middle names are Robert and Joseph. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the Carl's Jr. restaurants out West, however. I lived in southern CA for a few years and really enjoyed the double bacon cheeseburgers with the onion rings right on the burger... mmmm....
    Here in the Midwest., Carl's Jr. has bought the Hardee's chains so I can get the same burgers here now. They're still called Hardee's but now they display that familiar yellow happy star.

newcar31, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about gasolines. You're right, there isn't much difference, but there is a difference. Different companies add different additives to the same gas coming out of the pipe (except for Amoco/BP who has their own network).
    Regardless, the engine computer in any car can get every last BTU out of whatever we put in the tank, so going with the closest and/or most convenient place is probably the best bet for all of us.
    1st time for my baby in the snow with the stock "Poortenzas" (as trademarked by Meade).

What can I say? They're not as bad as I thought, considering the almost 19000kms they have on them and the fact they look like Formula 1 slicks. Once I got up to speed the handling felt "safe", but when stopping, I always breaked earlier to make sure I don't start sliding (no ABS). Held up realy well! So now I don't even know if I should really get winter tires.. HELP! Btw I drive in D2 when there is snow, so it drives at about 40km/h (25mph) at 3000RPMs. It snowed about 5 cms.

Dinu
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Thanks for the detailed (very!) explanation of overdrive, and for the details of your road trip. Glad you made it ok.
  • Any of you "Zoom-Zoomers having any problems with your cruise control ? My son has been having fits with his, third replacement and it defaults to same problem after 400 miles or so after replacement. Erratic speed, up and down, will not hold steady speed or correctly go back to resume mode.

Floridian
    No problems on my 2001 ES. I used it a few times for long drives over the summer and it holds well, flat surface or steepy hills/valleys.
    So, has Hardees and Carl's jr always been the same or was Hardees different before, and now they are like Carl's jr?
  • I am looking @ a 2000 protege LX. I know the 1.6 is a sissy engine, especially when mated with the automatic but, how is the reliability? Gas mileage? Anyone have any experience with it? Or just info on the 2000's in general? Should their be something I should specifically look at. BTW the price is 9.5, OK deal?
    The 2002 Protege ES was voted "Best economy car" for 2002 by the Automobile Journalists' Association of Canada (AJAC). YEY! They seem to agree with the sales figures (PRO sales in Canada have shot-up since the 2001 model was introduced).
  • Hardees was purchased by Carl's Jr a while back; they aren't identical now but some of the Star burgers are now available at Hardees.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I used to have a 1999 Protege DX automatic, bought with 3000 miles on the clock. After alot of hard driving on highways (commuting up to 100 miles a day regularly), the car was still fine at 37.5K when I traded it for a 2001 Protege ES. No problems whatsoever from the engine in that time. However, the transmission had this thing when I would floor the gas to pass. It would shift funny. I never found out what was the deal, because I traded the car in.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    in North Carolina. It has been the same name for a long time. Never really successful like Burger King, what saved them was serving breakfast -- mainly ham biscuits. They have tried various promotions that didn't work. Least popular in North Carolina, they have done well in Virginia. Other than McDonald's, the fast food hamburger joints are not doing well. Too many of them and people are watching the fat more.

Also, during the prosperity times, many people here went to Fuddrucker's instead of McDonald's. Fuddrucker's is a Texas-based hamburger chain where you fix your own condiments at a salad bar. Great burgers, really thick, but loaded with FAT FAT FAT!

I was going to Fuddrucker's so often, the cashiers put my order in before I got to the head of the line. So I just paid and went to my table and waited until they called my name. Knew all the people who worked there. Now on NO red meat diet, doctor said QUIT QUIT QUIT!

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Mazda 6, the 626 looks like last week's meatloaf. I saw a chestnut 626 today with a V6 and beige leather trim -- my favorite color combination. It still looked outdated. Nice alloys, though.

fowler3
  • Maybe we're lucky to be here in SC (near Charlotte NC). Gas si 97 cents regular, altho' I always use 93 octane in my PRO. The Mazda dealer charges only $20 for an oil change (Castrol)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The Protege does not recommend 93 octane, and using a higher octane than the recommended 87 is not only a waste of money, but it's bad for the car as well. It will cause a carbon build-up over time. I can attest that using a higher octane will not improve mileage (I tried it in my 1999 and 2001 Proteges). You might instead try running 89 octane through the car like every 3rd tank or something. I used to do that in both Proteges.
  • norcannorcan Posts: 72
    This 'winter' is ridiculous! I want to know how my winter tires will handle in the snow, but I did't want it to snow, if you get what I mean. I haven't checked in for a couple of weeks, surprised to see hundreds of new posts, lively bunch we have here. Since it's very busy at work, Christmas parties starting, etc (12 hr workdays including weekends :( to get a project finished before flying out of Toronto on the 20th) I'll say 'Seasons Greetings' to you Protege-ers now. Here's a toast to 2002 too!

Norcan
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    Hey, watch what you say! :)

Yeah, the 1.6L has less oomph, but is a smooth-running, rev-happy engine. I wouldn't mind more power though. :) Well, as long as I can still get decent fuel economy.

I just changed my oil at about 23,400 miles (I change more by season than mileage or # of months). I have not noticed any oil consumption.

Regarding the A/T's funny shifting, I can get mine to "stumble" if I let off the gas and then stomp on the accelerator. I give it about a second before stepping on the gas, and it doesn't do that. Quirky, yes, avoidable, yes.

Other than that, the A/T shifts smoothly, and its shift points change with your driving style (it allows the engine to rev higher when you give it more gas).

It feels best in 3rd gear, at about 3000rpm. Just the right range for merging onto the freeway.

Anyway, my economy is a little over 29mpg with mostly local driving (about 70/30, probably higher). That's averaged out over the 3+ years I've had it.
    You can (just barely) access the oil filter from above the engine, so you don't have to slide under your car to change it. Small convenience. :)

BTW, I finally got a set of "Rhino" ramps (mfr'd or distributed by "Blitz") at my local Autozone. These fit fine under my Pro, unlike the set of metal ones I got before. I was stuck for someplace to store them, but discovered they serve well as parking stops in my garage, under the front of my Pro!

Thanks to whoever recommended these (sorry, my short-term memory's not what it used to be)! Now I don't have to jack up my car everytime I want to drain the oil pan.
    Check this out today:

http://www.veh-tech.net/

They have a couple stories about Mazda, one about Familia (Protege) production for the Phillipines market & sourcing of purchased components through Ford, the other about some customized Roadster (Miata) that is tailored for some race series. Uh-oh, I hope the high quality and reliability of our Pros can be kept up!

Oh yeah, they have some article about the Honda Civic Gas/Electric hybrid too. Guess my wife will be interested in that one. :(

• Here in Florida they are disappearing as fast as rats @ a cat convention !! Do not seem to be reopening as anything, just vacant. I miss those steak biscuits @ breakfast and those hot cinnamon raisin rolls. Ah well, I need to lose about 20# anyway.

Floridian
  • I have a 2000 1.6 SE with the manual transmission and I haven't had any problems with it. We also have a 2000 1.8 automatic LX and I think the 1.6 SE drives better, the manual transmission feels a little quicker off the line than the auto with the bigger engine and the 1.6's steering is lighter. Of course, I'd love to trade the 1.6 SE in for a 2002 2.0 manual!! (Mabey next year!!)

I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp in the past, but can anyone recommend a replacement tire for the stock 14" Firestones? I want something that is good in all seasons and has the same good looks as the Potenzas.
  • Thanks for the replies.
    They just tested a 2002 GTI in my local newspaper. I found it interesting that when they tested it, the power windows went haywire and started rapidly opening and closing the window without warning. The power window switch on the driver's side that activated the passenger side worked only intermittently. I though VW would have fixed the power window situation considering that this body style has been around since 99 and they seem to have been having problems with the power windows since then. Thats really too bad because I like everything else about the newer VWs but they can't seem to get things right when it comes to eliminating these problems that plague the Jetta and GTI.
  • My '00 ES has almost 22k miles; no problems until this evening. We were on the road for 1/2 hour and then stopped for gas; When we restarted the car after filling gas; the car started with an extremely rough idle
    and it stalled several times, then, the check engine light started first blinking and then went into the constant mode. I suspected that one of the spark plugs was misfiring, therefore, I stopped the car decided to check the engine, when I stepped out I felt a very strong H2S smell - probably coming from the catalytic converter ??? I tried to tighten the plug caps, started the car; same thing .. it was very frustrating;
    Then I decided to drive home slowly, since I was just a block away; after driving for a couple of hundred feet with that rattle and the check engine light on, suddenly, it just started firing with the proper timing ... however my check engine light is still on.

I'd like hear comments from you folks whether the following explanation makes sense:
    I believe: because of a spark plug and/or electrical cable
    problem the engine misfired which eventually lead to some unburned fuel reaching into the catalytic converter causing it to overheat.

My car should still be under warranty (3/50k) but I wonder whether this type of problem would be within the coverage defined by Mazda?

Please let me know what you guys think about this?
  • My wife and I purchased a 2001 Protege 2.0LX about 1.5 months ago. This week, I started to notice a faint , occasional burning smell coming from engine bay once the engine is warmed up ... kinda smells like burnt popcorn, not oil or anti-freeze or anything ... my thoughts are either a belt starting to ride on one of the pulleys a bit cockeyed or potentially a wire/harness getting a little close to something hot( like a manifold ... ) Has anyone had any experience like this before? I plan on popping into the dealer's service dept tommorrow just to check in with them, nothing seems to be malfunctioning on the car or anything ... yet.