Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    You can get decent brake pads at an auto parts store like auto zone and they will give you a lifetime warranty on them. They will give you a 2 year warranty on the rotors. Also, they are usually cheaper than buying from a dealer.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I second Hank: it sounds more likely like brake fluid than pad. But it could be also pad.

One technical question: Is drum design on the Protege allows the auto-adjustment when the pads slowly worn out?

Bruno
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    Yep, check the fluid first. You could also have a leaky master cylinder. If ok, it may be warn pads. The rotors should be machined, or at least checked for scoring and runout or the new pads may not contact well. Get good quality pads [you could try NAPA, Mazda, or some reputable parts place.]
    If someone else will do the work, I'd stay away from Sears.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    The shoes in the rear drums auto-adjust when you drive in reverse gear.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    That's what I was talking about.

Although the way I heard it, you have to hit the brakes rather assertively while you're in reverse in order for them to adjust.
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    My old man (dealer principle) is scheduled to be getting a visit from a Mazda Canda rep in the very near future and he will be bringing photos of the 2004 Mazda3 with him.

If I get a chance, I'm going to drop by and have a look at them. I'll report back to you all about what I think.

If we're really lucky, we'll scan them when he's distracted and then I'll have something interesting to post for a change.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I believe you are right that you need to firmly apply the brakes while backing-up for the brake adjustment to occur. Now can anyone tell me if the "pad wear indicator" (make that "screech") on Proteges has actually warned them when they needed new pads, and did the warning come soon enough to save the rotors from damage?
  • Options
    Groovy!

Looking forward to the pics.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know I had to replace the front brake pads at 26K on my 99 DX, which had front disc/rear drum brakes. I was pretty hard on the car though...
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    you want to happen is the brake fluid running out completely -- very dangerous to be driving when that happens. All you will have left is the emergency brake, the one by your seat.

I've had that happen in traffic -- alarming!!

If the peddle goes all the way to the floor and no braking takes place -- it's no fluid.

fowler3
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    If you think that's bad, how about losing your front brakes at 45mph?!? I was in my (new to me) 88 Aries when I first got it. I knew the rotors were bad, but drove it anyway (young and dumb). I stepped on the brake, and it sung to the floor! I almost wet my pants right there! Thank God, I was able to get the car stopped safely.

What happend was that the rotor spliced the caliper from being so worn (that's what the mechanic told me anyway). I had to get new pads, new rotors, new brake hoses (they were wearing, the guy said), and a new caliper. Since I was a asst. fleet manager then and had a shop for all the cars, they only charged me $250 for everything. From then on, I get my brakes checked at EVERY oil change...
  • Options
    this brake-hard in reverse method is needed only for the drum right?

Bruno
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Did they just add 2 tweeters or what? I ask because Mazda still advertises the Kenwood front speaker upgrade for the P5. If the fronts (all 4 of them) were true component speakers, you could not just replace the 6x8s without losing the tweeters as well.

Also, how does the 100W split up? 25Wx2 + 15Wx2 + 10Wx2? Just wondering if anyone knew.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Yes Bruno!

Should we debate disc/drum? Just kidding. However, rear disc has auto adjust for the parking brake. Otherwise, the way a caliper slides on its mount means that it requires no adjustment.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Put the car in reverse, step on the gas just enough to move the car backwards, step on the brake peddle hard and let up, two or three times, as it moves backwards. You don't have to move far. Do you have a driveway?

fowler3
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Warped rotors slapping your calipers back and forth will also cause loss of pressure in the brake fluid.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Thank you all for your help!

Now, I checked the brake fluid yesterday and it was at its designated level.

I am not experiencing brake fade, but rather slow braking from the beginning. I mean it's not bad, but it's not like it used to be. I suspect that with 30.000 miles on it so far, it's time for a replacement. My cousin's Z24 had to have its pads changed at 30.000 miles too just 1 mth ago. His is 5spd, but we both drive similarily - don;t ride brakes, just apply them when really necessary.

As for the rear drums, should I back it up and slam on the brakes? Mazdafun's advise seems contradictory - although I highly doubt my rotors are gone.

Dinu
  • Options
    It snowed (wet snow) on Sunday night and I came home late, so....

all that wet snow froze on my PRO by yesterday morning, so....

someone had the pleasure of scrapping ice of windows for 10+ mins in cold, windy, but VERY sunny weather.

I have chunks on ice "glued" (frozen on) to the sheetmetal. You should see the cars here - they're like moving 4-wheels igloos :)

Dinu
    PS: Yes, Canadians still live in igloos :)
  • Options
    it depends: do you want whiplash?

As Fowler said, it has to be a firm application of the brakes.

At the very least, give it a try, and see what you think. You've got nothing to lose.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
  • Options
    It's like hell froze over - there's ice on all panels of the car, I had to play "Tug of War" with the door to get it opened, the parking lots shine from ice, yet the major streets are cool - if you brake in advance -otherwise a patch of ice might re-design your PRO.

Dale: Guess I'll try that thing - if I can only find a place w/no ice (definitely not parking lots!)

Dinu
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    My Pro doesn't have any snow on it as it's forecasted to be +5 C over the weekend. Not an inch of snow anywhere in the city.

Dinu, did you put winter tires on? I forget :(
  • Options
    We are really enjoying our new P5. I think it handles even better than my sedan did when it was new. I think this is a very good choice if anyone out there is considering one.

I found out my insurance will decrease by 5% if I get a security alarm, so now I need to look into buying one of those for both our vehicles. Has anyone installed the Mazda alarm on their Protege? Any idea how difficult it is?
  • Options
    I have those Avid Touring tires I got this summer. Ok in fresh and packed snow, but like all tires, bad on ice. Not so great in rain, but better than the Poortenzas (Used under license from Meade).

For the next car, I'll probably get something else - some touring/summer low profile tires for summer and 4 snows: it will be my first winter driving a 5spd full time.

When we had the 94 5spd SL1 a few years ago, it had 4 snow tires with HUGE grooves and it was a beauty to drive in snow, but I only drove that car occasionally - I had the Tercel and Civic for me.

Dinu
  • Options
    Is that 5% worth it to offset the installation costs and ensuing aggravation of a car alarm?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    So are those tires an all-season (read: no-season) tire?
  • Options
    I would say "Don't get them".

They got the best reviews on Tire Rack, but I prefer the Michelin X-Ones. These tires (Yoko Avid T) don't wear off - so if they don't wear off, they don't work, rite?

Dinu
  • Options
    Thanks. Actually my P5 has all disk brake. I'm just curious about the way drum works and want to make sure that I don't need to do the weird maneuvering now and then, that's all.

Bruno
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They're too slow. A good set of Keds and you're set.
    j/k

I'm a big fan of x-ones too. I have a set and love em.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I didn't think a strut tower bar made that much of a difference, at least it didn't on my ES. It looks cool though.
  • Options
    P5 even beats (barely) the MP3 once in the slalom according to C&D.
  • Options
    I've heard that before too. I don't buy it though. Run the same test with both cars on the same day with the same driver and I'll bet you a million dollars the MP3 does better than a P5. There is no way it couldn't.
  • Options
    I though they ran both cars the the same day. I don't know about the driver(s) though. I was also surprise by the result given the fact that the MP3 has bigger wheels, stiffer suspension, bigger anti-roll bars and more powerful engine. May be the chassis of the Hatch version flex less? May be the rotation inertia of the body is less? May be the suspension is better in tuned with the shorter body? All the above? I agree, in theory the mp3 should handle better, but C&D data shows that P5 is not far behind.

Bruno
  • Options
    the C&D numbers for the MP3 and the P5 are indeed ran on different days, hence the difference in number

temperature makes a big difference on how sticky the tires get...

running side by side, the MP3 will dominate a stock Protege/Protege5 any day.
  • Options
    That even if you have a "better " car a more experienced driver may still be able to get more out of his/her car.
  • Options
    I never said the P5 was better than an MP3 which I have never driven. I just said it felt better than my ES sedan. I attribute this to slightly better weight ratio front:back. The P5 has an extra 80 lbs. of stuff back their which would tend to make the handling more neutral.

As for the alarm system, it would eventually pay for itself. We plan to keep this car for a long time. I wouldn't get one just for the sake of saving a few bucks on my insurance. I have been wanting to get one for our vehicles for a while, but it was hard to justify the cost. Now, it is less difficult.
  • Options
    I'm sure both tests were done with experienced drivers. The conditions had to be different though. And big-h is right, temperature and track surface has a HUGE effect on slalom speeds and g forces. Everything being equal, the MP3 will beat the P5. The tires alone on the MP3 give it a huge advantage over the P5, they are WAY better performance tires.
  • Options
    "I never said the P5 was better than an MP3 which I have never driven."

I never said that you said the P5 was better than the MP3. Bruno said that.
  • Options
    Even a driver in a MP3 can get stomped by a better driver in a P5. Especially with such a small difference in power.
  • Options
    but that MP3 driver has to be REALLY bad to cancel out the advantage MP3 puts him in....
  • Options
    Maybe the MP3 doesn't have as much of an advantage as the parts would have you believe.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    What's power got to do with slalom?

And there is definitely a healthy margin in handling performance between the two.
  • Options
    Publications didn't call the MP3 the best handling FWD car in the world for no reason...and hp doesn't really have anything to do with slalom speeds.

edit: Malt beat me to it.
  • Options
    Not just the slalom. I know I've never run a slalom but I have left a few people around curves that were driving cars that were "better" than mine. I didn't know we were talking strictly slaloms.
  • Options
    No Todd, I didn't said P5 is better than MP3, I said "P5 beats the MP3 ONCE"! Kasparov is the probably the best chess-player ever lives but even he get beaten now and then too, sometime by a stupid computer.
  • Options
    "P5 beats the MP3 ONCE"!

The P5 didn't beat the MP3, not even once. They were never put head to head in a comparison. They were tested on different days and maybe different tracks with different drivers. Test them at the same time and if the P5 puts up better numbers than the MP3, then and ONLY then can you say that the P5 beat the MP3.
  • Options
    There is no way people can make a head to head comparison with 100% exactitude of external conditions. All I know is C&D put those slalom time numbers in the SAME comparo article and I trust them to make the condition as close as possible. What is the value of the article if one can't even compare numbers? I interpret the article as following: P5 handling is not much worse than MP3.

You have every right to say "P5 didn't beat MP3, not even once", but I also have the right to say "with a little bit of favorite conditions, P5 can beat MP3". But never mind, it's just the wording.

Bruno
  • Options
  • Options
    There was never a contest between the MP3 and P5, therefore it is impossible for the P5 to have beaten the MP3.

"with a little bit of favorite conditions, P5 can beat MP3".

Huh? Favorable conditions? What conditions would be favorable to the P5 and not the MP3?
  • Options
    "What conditions would be favorable to the P5 and not the MP3?"

change of atmospheric condition for example, better driver, or whatever creates a greater slalom speed for the P5 vs MP3 given in the C&D article.

OK Todd, you win: P5 can never beat MP3.

Bruno